Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | What happened to scattersight vial value
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
@LucidDreams
Yea. The fact that they said they wouldn't then broke their word is the worst part of this.

I have every single one I ever farmed. I sold none of them. Thought I was being patient. Thought I was being smart. Turns out I was being played for a fool.

Did the staff ever adress this? Did they show any sign of realizing what they did by that update? If somebody invested hundreds of thousands of gems, surely at least their situation merited some empathy, even if they didn't give them squat in compensation for their dishonesty...
@LucidDreams
Yea. The fact that they said they wouldn't then broke their word is the worst part of this.

I have every single one I ever farmed. I sold none of them. Thought I was being patient. Thought I was being smart. Turns out I was being played for a fool.

Did the staff ever adress this? Did they show any sign of realizing what they did by that update? If somebody invested hundreds of thousands of gems, surely at least their situation merited some empathy, even if they didn't give them squat in compensation for their dishonesty...
5LqH0sj.png
I quit the game for a couple of months after eyepocalypse. Obviously I got over it and came back, but it's pretty much FR's biggest screw-up.
I quit the game for a couple of months after eyepocalypse. Obviously I got over it and came back, but it's pretty much FR's biggest screw-up.
vSxK3u9.png
As a person who also sat on a (small) hoard of Scattersights from the initial 3-day release to sell later, since there was clear demand and they were labeled as "going to be retired" from the start, just to find all that value decimated in May... I was personally glad to see it.

The initial eye update prioritized RNG over any individual dragon. Any person who wanted a specific dragon to have a specific eye type - like a scry that was designed for a certain primal eye, or any existing dragon born to have a specific eye variant (Uncommon/Unusual/Rare) that they weren't born with - was told "you can reliably change or control for everything else about your dragon, but not this". I remember selling one scattersight for more than twice the price of a scatterscroll, and it's not as if a scatterscroll is the only way to acquire specific colors on a dragon with other specific traits.

Personally, my frustrations with the update also led me to take a hiatus until the time of the Banescale release, and when I came back, I avoided the mechanic as much as possible. All my breeding projects were for common eyes. The handful of primals I did hatch, I didn't want to keep due to other factors (colors most frequently), and sold.

The May update definitely made me more willing to engage with the eye mechanic - but also, in my own experience, the primal eye vial can be reliably flipped for a profit if it's purchased at Dom discount (or even better, on flash sale...).

The scattersights were suddenly devalued, but the devs have released other updates that negatively impacted certain markets, and they've never reimbursed people at LAH price before, so I don't personally see why scattersights (that weren't on the AH at that time) should have been treated differently. No investment is guaranteed to get the return that you want, in or out of FR. For people who got their scattersights from the Coliseum or Baldwin, there is still a profit in their sale - it's just much smaller now.
As a person who also sat on a (small) hoard of Scattersights from the initial 3-day release to sell later, since there was clear demand and they were labeled as "going to be retired" from the start, just to find all that value decimated in May... I was personally glad to see it.

The initial eye update prioritized RNG over any individual dragon. Any person who wanted a specific dragon to have a specific eye type - like a scry that was designed for a certain primal eye, or any existing dragon born to have a specific eye variant (Uncommon/Unusual/Rare) that they weren't born with - was told "you can reliably change or control for everything else about your dragon, but not this". I remember selling one scattersight for more than twice the price of a scatterscroll, and it's not as if a scatterscroll is the only way to acquire specific colors on a dragon with other specific traits.

Personally, my frustrations with the update also led me to take a hiatus until the time of the Banescale release, and when I came back, I avoided the mechanic as much as possible. All my breeding projects were for common eyes. The handful of primals I did hatch, I didn't want to keep due to other factors (colors most frequently), and sold.

The May update definitely made me more willing to engage with the eye mechanic - but also, in my own experience, the primal eye vial can be reliably flipped for a profit if it's purchased at Dom discount (or even better, on flash sale...).

The scattersights were suddenly devalued, but the devs have released other updates that negatively impacted certain markets, and they've never reimbursed people at LAH price before, so I don't personally see why scattersights (that weren't on the AH at that time) should have been treated differently. No investment is guaranteed to get the return that you want, in or out of FR. For people who got their scattersights from the Coliseum or Baldwin, there is still a profit in their sale - it's just much smaller now.
He/She/They | FR +3
I for one am extremely happy they did this. They fixed a mistake and listened to the users who were unhappy. I hoarded vials like a lot of other people for my future projects, spent a TON of money on vials for one of my dragons, and I'm still happy they did it. I can make my dragons look how I want now, salvage G1s with better eye types and not pay someone 20kg for it. Not the first nor will it be the last time an update crashed a potential market. That's game dev. Tune said it great: [quote=Tune]Sure it sucks losing out on money but me earning money at the expense of both my own and other people's progens/oldies/otherwise special dragons actually being able to become "perfect" (to the owner of said dragon) is kind of....mm yeah no.[/quote] Asking someone to pay me endless amounts of cash for a low chance at an eye type (while the eye types could reroll into the SAME type) is a no for me.
I for one am extremely happy they did this. They fixed a mistake and listened to the users who were unhappy. I hoarded vials like a lot of other people for my future projects, spent a TON of money on vials for one of my dragons, and I'm still happy they did it. I can make my dragons look how I want now, salvage G1s with better eye types and not pay someone 20kg for it.

Not the first nor will it be the last time an update crashed a potential market. That's game dev.

Tune said it great:
Tune wrote:
Sure it sucks losing out on money but me earning money at the expense of both my own and other people's progens/oldies/otherwise special dragons actually being able to become "perfect" (to the owner of said dragon) is kind of....mm yeah no.

Asking someone to pay me endless amounts of cash for a low chance at an eye type (while the eye types could reroll into the SAME type) is a no for me.
QXokmAc.pngtumblr_oswcc6oFGq1v8lm95o2_75sq.pngWEcoFAH.png
I feel ya on the "uniqueness" thing. I never collected expensive G1s but I did have very long-term breeding projects for Primals, bought them to regene into OCs, etc. It used to be a lil serotonin boost, a "WOW!!!" moment when hatching a nest or G1 egg, now it's just… meh.

The scattervial price drop wasn't pleasant (I'm a buffoon who's still sitting on 21 of them after barely managing to use/sell ~10 more) but it's the fact that they're "boring" now that really hurts tbh. Well, "hurts" as in it contributed to me losing most interest in the game.

I get why it's better in the long run, but I'm pretty much in that same "should've been like this from the start then" camp because I got a taste for those nice "winning RNG" moments and now we're back to trying to hatch a good double.
I feel ya on the "uniqueness" thing. I never collected expensive G1s but I did have very long-term breeding projects for Primals, bought them to regene into OCs, etc. It used to be a lil serotonin boost, a "WOW!!!" moment when hatching a nest or G1 egg, now it's just… meh.

The scattervial price drop wasn't pleasant (I'm a buffoon who's still sitting on 21 of them after barely managing to use/sell ~10 more) but it's the fact that they're "boring" now that really hurts tbh. Well, "hurts" as in it contributed to me losing most interest in the game.

I get why it's better in the long run, but I'm pretty much in that same "should've been like this from the start then" camp because I got a taste for those nice "winning RNG" moments and now we're back to trying to hatch a good double.
KmnIjfw.png
@Pteranodon
I worded that badly, my apologies.
I meant that if the Devs would've removed the individual vials when they came out because the part of the community that made money off them got mad I'd personally would've been on the "let them stay" side because I like to make money but I also find it extremely mean to force people to resort to really bad RNG (because the scattervials had really bad rng lmao) and/or be "forced" to forever sit and look at their progens or oldies knowing full well they could've been even prettier but never will because of the scattervials.

There's always other ways to make money so I personally feel that the way of essentially making scattervials useless unless you like to play with RNG is better because "my fortune at the expense of others" doesn't really sit right with me and I'm personally much happier seeing the joy people express when they can perfect their dream dragons.

But yes, the devs have had a history of bad communication and going back on their words much much later (which is probably why I don't feel so betrayed. I'm more or less just expecting nothing) which overall sucks. I don't think we'll ever get any form of compensation for any of these things as they've never did such a thing in the past afaik (it'd be great tho! but yeah..I have very little hope) but who knows maybe someday they will.

You got the right to be angry, I used to be that as well at first. Not over losing money though but over the really bad communication and overall stress it brought because hooh boy, that year was a bad year.
The Devs have been swayed by the community in the past but I think you'd have to find a lot of people and be prepared for a long fight if they were to give us compensation for it. Never hurts to try though.

I'm bad at expressing myself through words so I'm not sure if what I feel comes across properly but yeah to sum it up:
You got the right to be angry, the devs have been really bad at communication and done strange things that make little sense so don't expect much from them because trying to understand their logic is tiring. I'm personally just happy that they eventually got to "fixing" it for the greater part of the community (as in, now people can actually customize their dragons to their own sense of perfection) even if they're VERY late.
@Pteranodon
I meant that if the Devs would've removed the individual vials when they came out because the part of the community that made money off them got mad I'd personally would've been on the "let them stay" side because I like to make money but I also find it extremely mean to force people to resort to really bad RNG (because the scattervials had really bad rng lmao) and/or be "forced" to forever sit and look at their progens or oldies knowing full well they could've been even prettier but never will because of the scattervials.

There's always other ways to make money so I personally feel that the way of essentially making scattervials useless unless you like to play with RNG is better because "my fortune at the expense of others" doesn't really sit right with me and I'm personally much happier seeing the joy people express when they can perfect their dream dragons.

But yes, the devs have had a history of bad communication and going back on their words much much later (which is probably why I don't feel so betrayed. I'm more or less just expecting nothing) which overall sucks. I don't think we'll ever get any form of compensation for any of these things as they've never did such a thing in the past afaik (it'd be great tho! but yeah..I have very little hope) but who knows maybe someday they will.

You got the right to be angry, I used to be that as well at first. Not over losing money though but over the really bad communication and overall stress it brought because hooh boy, that year was a bad year.
The Devs have been swayed by the community in the past but I think you'd have to find a lot of people and be prepared for a long fight if they were to give us compensation for it. Never hurts to try though.

I'm bad at expressing myself through words so I'm not sure if what I feel comes across properly but yeah to sum it up:
You got the right to be angry, the devs have been really bad at communication and done strange things that make little sense so don't expect much from them because trying to understand their logic is tiring. I'm personally just happy that they eventually got to "fixing" it for the greater part of the community (as in, now people can actually customize their dragons to their own sense of perfection) even if they're VERY late.
Always buying
Abyss/Gloom/X
Gen Ones.
Feel free to PM 8.png
wsTw09i.png
*Wishlist
*Art Shop
*Adoptables
*Skins/Accents
3R1xnew.pnglq7TbRo.png
[quote name="quinnelope" date="2022-01-04 07:53:51" ] The scattersights were suddenly devalued, but the devs have released other updates that negatively impacted certain markets, and they've never reimbursed people at LAH price before, so I don't personally see why scattersights (that weren't on the AH at that time) should have been treated differently. No investment is guaranteed to get the return that you want, in or out of FR. For people who got their scattersights from the Coliseum or Baldwin, there is still a profit in their sale - it's just much smaller now. [/quote] This didn't simply "negatively impact" a market, it outright destroyed it. They should be treated differently because the devs broke a promise. They told everybody, over and over, that there would NEVER be another way to obtain these eye types. This assured people that the scattersights were a safe, guaranteed investment. And then they went back on their word, without (as far as I am aware) an iota of acknowledgement of what a betrayal this was of people who had trusted them.
quinnelope wrote on 2022-01-04 07:53:51:

This didn't simply "negatively impact" a market, it outright destroyed it.
They should be treated differently because the devs broke a promise. They told everybody, over and over, that there would NEVER be another way to obtain these eye types. This assured people that the scattersights were a safe, guaranteed investment.
And then they went back on their word, without (as far as I am aware) an iota of acknowledgement of what a betrayal this was of people who had trusted them.
5LqH0sj.png
I was there for Eyepocalypse I. I coli’d and brewed about 50 Scattersights, only sold a few of them, and could have made the extra money I need to buy a Light Sprite if only I’d sold them before the new vials were brought out.

And I am SO GLAD the staff finally saw sense, fixed their mistake, and made eyes purchasable.

The fact that older users don’t get to gouge newer users by charging ridiculous prices for a QoL item is… not a bad thing?

And I can get rare eye types on my dragons without feeling like I’m throwing thousands of gems down the drain! WOOHOO!

The value of investments can go down as well as up. Consider that a useful life lesson.
I was there for Eyepocalypse I. I coli’d and brewed about 50 Scattersights, only sold a few of them, and could have made the extra money I need to buy a Light Sprite if only I’d sold them before the new vials were brought out.

And I am SO GLAD the staff finally saw sense, fixed their mistake, and made eyes purchasable.

The fact that older users don’t get to gouge newer users by charging ridiculous prices for a QoL item is… not a bad thing?

And I can get rare eye types on my dragons without feeling like I’m throwing thousands of gems down the drain! WOOHOO!

The value of investments can go down as well as up. Consider that a useful life lesson.
Coffee Pot
May be grumpy before coffee. And after coffee. (FR+8)
5loJkio.jpg
Whoa...this discourse again.

I used to collect G1 primals due to how rare, unique, and valuable they were as a personal challenge and while I do miss the RNG excitement and market behind pre-vial days I am actually quite happy that vials are a thing now. It's much more fun to create my dream G1s now without forking over 5000+gems just for Primal. It's like a huge QOL upgrade for people like me.

HOWEVER, it does super suck for people who collected the scattersight items with the intention of selling them off though. I'm sorry. :(
Whoa...this discourse again.

I used to collect G1 primals due to how rare, unique, and valuable they were as a personal challenge and while I do miss the RNG excitement and market behind pre-vial days I am actually quite happy that vials are a thing now. It's much more fun to create my dream G1s now without forking over 5000+gems just for Primal. It's like a huge QOL upgrade for people like me.

HOWEVER, it does super suck for people who collected the scattersight items with the intention of selling them off though. I'm sorry. :(
BuDq0ZK.gif
[quote name="Tune" date="2022-01-04 07:56:38" ] @Pteranodon I worded that badly, my apologies. I meant that if the Devs would've removed the individual vials when they came out because the part of the community that made money off them got mad I'd personally would've been on the "let them stay" side because I like to make money but I also find it extremely mean to force people to resort to really bad RNG (because the scattervials had really bad rng lmao) and/or be "forced" to forever sit and look at their progens or oldies knowing full well they could've been even prettier but never will because of the scattervials. There's always other ways to make money so I personally feel that the way of essentially making scattervials useless unless you like to play with RNG is better because "my fortune at the expense of others" doesn't really sit right with me and I'm personally much happier seeing the joy people express when they can perfect their dream dragons. But yes, the devs have had a history of bad communication and going back on their words much much later (which is probably why I don't feel so betrayed. I'm more or less just expecting nothing) which overall sucks. I don't think we'll ever get any form of compensation for any of these things as they've never did such a thing in the past afaik (it'd be great tho! but yeah..I have very little hope) but who knows maybe someday they will. You got the right to be angry, I used to be that as well at first. Not over losing money though but over the really bad communication and overall stress it brought because hooh boy, that year was a bad year. The Devs have been swayed by the community in the past but I think you'd have to find a lot of people and be prepared for a long fight if they were to give us compensation for it. Never hurts to try though. I'm bad at expressing myself through words so I'm not sure if what I feel comes across properly but yeah to sum it up: You got the right to be angry, the devs have been really bad at communication and done strange things that make little sense so don't expect much from them because trying to understand their logic is tiring. I'm personally just happy that they eventually got to "fixing" it for the greater part of the community (as in, now people can actually customize their dragons to their own sense of perfection) even if they're VERY late. [/quote] @Tune While there are always other ways to make money, not all of them are an option for all people, and this was something akin to the old sprite days in that anybody could participate. Nowadays, that privilege of retired items getting ridiculously expensive is limited to those who were around long enough ago. And the one glimpse more recent players got of it was taken from them without warning. From what I had seen up until now, the devs were pretty decent about transparency. That's why I'm feeling so betrayed. I thought they meant what they said. They even addressed the Obelisk Flair drama with the poll option the community wanted, and swiftly. It doesn't feel fair that I should have to start a crusade and pour endless hours into mobilizing enough people to get the same amount of treasure I should've just gotten by selling the freaking vials. I don't have that kind of time or energy to get justice over this. The worst part is that I agree that it's probably a good change that should have happened much earlier... the only problem is that the people it screwed over went ignored. The scattervials definitely were bad design, but that doesn't mean the people who invested in them are to blame and should take the fall for the update that fixed things.
Tune wrote on 2022-01-04 07:56:38:
@Pteranodon

@Tune
While there are always other ways to make money, not all of them are an option for all people, and this was something akin to the old sprite days in that anybody could participate. Nowadays, that privilege of retired items getting ridiculously expensive is limited to those who were around long enough ago. And the one glimpse more recent players got of it was taken from them without warning.

From what I had seen up until now, the devs were pretty decent about transparency. That's why I'm feeling so betrayed. I thought they meant what they said. They even addressed the Obelisk Flair drama with the poll option the community wanted, and swiftly.

It doesn't feel fair that I should have to start a crusade and pour endless hours into mobilizing enough people to get the same amount of treasure I should've just gotten by selling the freaking vials. I don't have that kind of time or energy to get justice over this.

The worst part is that I agree that it's probably a good change that should have happened much earlier... the only problem is that the people it screwed over went ignored. The scattervials definitely were bad design, but that doesn't mean the people who invested in them are to blame and should take the fall for the update that fixed things.
5LqH0sj.png
1 2 3 4 5 6 7