Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | [Lore] The Winter of Solitude
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 22 23
[center][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/89521008][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/coliseum/portraits/895211/89521008.png[/img][/url][/center] Lunch was split into two groups, those that ate in the Mess, and the team that was busy examining the ruins at the lower levels. After only two hours, the entirety of the hub chamber was flooded with light as numerous dragons worked to clear debris and record their findings. [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/89521008]Faust[/url] had put in his request to assist immediately, captured by the prospect of more material for his theory. The entire region had a much higher rate of desecration left by aspects of the Shade, but this mountain had a particularly foul aura. He hoped exploring further into the clan's location would reveal why that was. He had barely entered the chamber when he was immediately overwhelmed by the oppressive force. Luckily the concentration of Shadetouched particles did not result in any abominations taking shape, but it would be dangerously easy to do so. Faust took his waterskin, pouring out its contents on the ground before using the properties of the water to draw out some of the aspect of the Shade. Within seconds, a writhing, gnashing form was in his grasp. [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/54331617]Ker[/url] drew alongside him as blackened, bloody tendrils poured screaming from his mouth, strangling the small abomination that Faust had assembled before dragging it back into Ker's body. "You should be mindful of the consequences of your experiments," the crimson Gaoler warned in a low rumble, keeping his teeth clenched. "There are many here that would not be able to fight such an entity." "My apologies," Faust bowed his head quickly. "Thank you, Ker." The Keeper blew out a disappointed breath, withdrawing, but remaining close by as he kept one ear twisted toward him. The younger Gaoler gave an annoyed smile as he turned around, embarrassed that he was now deemed unworthy to examine the area without a chaperon. Tux and Adagio suddenly called for light, which Faust was only too happy to oblige. Taking up a nearby lantern, he hurried over to the makeshift scaffolding that had been constructed up to the next landing. "Another tunnel," Adagio said. In spite of the choking dust, both he and the younger Aether seemed unaffected. Faust, on the other hand, had a hacking, dry cough as he tried, and failed, to speak. "Maybe you should go find a wind dragon to help circulate some of this dead air," Tux suggested as he took the lantern. "I'm sure the others below will appreciate not having dust in their lungs constantly." Faust nodded, closing his mouth and squinting his eyes as he hurried back down and out into the Clanhold, where he took several moments to gratefully breathe in the clean air. "How is it going? Did anyone find anything interesting so far?" Lilla had been present near the entrance of the tunnel for the past hour, ready with water and food, and she immediately offered Faust a drink. He took a long, grateful swig, draining the entire horn in one attempt as he washed away the dirt from his throat. "Possibly. Would you like to come take a look, Lilla?" "Go in there, in the dark, empty ruins? No thanks," she shuddered, passing him a handkerchief as she took back his horn and refilled it. "Besides, seeing how dirty you all are when you come out, I think it would be best I come in once it's clean." "You could come in [i]to[/i] clean," he teased. She smirked. "I think I'll wait until the dust has settled, so to speak. Is there something you needed, or did you just want a drink?" "We need a wind dragon for ventilation; the dust is very thick in some places," he said. "Could you find AshLeaf for me and ask for her help?" "Of course!" Lilla said as she rose to her feet, passing him back his horn. "Please wait for me here, I'll be as quick as I can." The Obelisk set off at a quick trot but found herself slowing when she caught sight of the founders speaking to a dark Aberration in the Grand Hall. Gorynych, she reminded herself. "We were hoping you would be able to help us excavate these ruins," Hilgeth said, her tone disappointed. "Are you sure this matter cannot be postponed, even just for a month or so?" "I'm afraid not," the deep voice seemed to come from both heads at the same time, though Lilla couldn't see either jaw moving. "However, when I return I will be able to assist the clan in uncovering the contents of this mountain." Merris gave a slow nod. "Then we hope that you are able to return to us swiftly." "Of course." Both heads suddenly turned in her direction, all five eyes examining her without reservation. Lilla immediately sped up, hurrying away from their prying gaze. Served her right for eavesdropping, she thought to herself, though her hair was still standing on end. She had seen that type of expression several times in the past, one that was void of empathy or concern. Dragons that apathetic were worse than those who were bitter or hateful. Lilla didn't see where she was going in her rush to escape, and she slammed right into another dragon. "I'm so sorry!" she gasped reflexively as she looked up. "Are you alright?" "Where are you running off to looking like that?" Rodrathym bent lower to peer into her eyes. "Did something happen?" "No, just... thinking," she said quickly. "Hm," he was unconvinced, but didn't press her on it. "Well, keep your chin up; it's easier to watch where you're walking." She gave a feeble laugh. "Thanks," "No problem." Lilla didn't give the Imperial a chance to ask any other questions as she hurried off in search of AshLeaf.
89521008.png

Lunch was split into two groups, those that ate in the Mess, and the team that was busy examining the ruins at the lower levels. After only two hours, the entirety of the hub chamber was flooded with light as numerous dragons worked to clear debris and record their findings.

Faust had put in his request to assist immediately, captured by the prospect of more material for his theory. The entire region had a much higher rate of desecration left by aspects of the Shade, but this mountain had a particularly foul aura. He hoped exploring further into the clan's location would reveal why that was.

He had barely entered the chamber when he was immediately overwhelmed by the oppressive force. Luckily the concentration of Shadetouched particles did not result in any abominations taking shape, but it would be dangerously easy to do so.

Faust took his waterskin, pouring out its contents on the ground before using the properties of the water to draw out some of the aspect of the Shade. Within seconds, a writhing, gnashing form was in his grasp.

Ker drew alongside him as blackened, bloody tendrils poured screaming from his mouth, strangling the small abomination that Faust had assembled before dragging it back into Ker's body.

"You should be mindful of the consequences of your experiments," the crimson Gaoler warned in a low rumble, keeping his teeth clenched. "There are many here that would not be able to fight such an entity."

"My apologies," Faust bowed his head quickly. "Thank you, Ker."

The Keeper blew out a disappointed breath, withdrawing, but remaining close by as he kept one ear twisted toward him. The younger Gaoler gave an annoyed smile as he turned around, embarrassed that he was now deemed unworthy to examine the area without a chaperon.

Tux and Adagio suddenly called for light, which Faust was only too happy to oblige. Taking up a nearby lantern, he hurried over to the makeshift scaffolding that had been constructed up to the next landing.

"Another tunnel," Adagio said. In spite of the choking dust, both he and the younger Aether seemed unaffected. Faust, on the other hand, had a hacking, dry cough as he tried, and failed, to speak.

"Maybe you should go find a wind dragon to help circulate some of this dead air," Tux suggested as he took the lantern. "I'm sure the others below will appreciate not having dust in their lungs constantly."

Faust nodded, closing his mouth and squinting his eyes as he hurried back down and out into the Clanhold, where he took several moments to gratefully breathe in the clean air.

"How is it going? Did anyone find anything interesting so far?" Lilla had been present near the entrance of the tunnel for the past hour, ready with water and food, and she immediately offered Faust a drink.

He took a long, grateful swig, draining the entire horn in one attempt as he washed away the dirt from his throat. "Possibly. Would you like to come take a look, Lilla?"

"Go in there, in the dark, empty ruins? No thanks," she shuddered, passing him a handkerchief as she took back his horn and refilled it. "Besides, seeing how dirty you all are when you come out, I think it would be best I come in once it's clean."

"You could come in to clean," he teased.

She smirked. "I think I'll wait until the dust has settled, so to speak. Is there something you needed, or did you just want a drink?"

"We need a wind dragon for ventilation; the dust is very thick in some places," he said. "Could you find AshLeaf for me and ask for her help?"

"Of course!" Lilla said as she rose to her feet, passing him back his horn. "Please wait for me here, I'll be as quick as I can."

The Obelisk set off at a quick trot but found herself slowing when she caught sight of the founders speaking to a dark Aberration in the Grand Hall. Gorynych, she reminded herself.

"We were hoping you would be able to help us excavate these ruins," Hilgeth said, her tone disappointed. "Are you sure this matter cannot be postponed, even just for a month or so?"

"I'm afraid not," the deep voice seemed to come from both heads at the same time, though Lilla couldn't see either jaw moving. "However, when I return I will be able to assist the clan in uncovering the contents of this mountain."

Merris gave a slow nod. "Then we hope that you are able to return to us swiftly."

"Of course." Both heads suddenly turned in her direction, all five eyes examining her without reservation. Lilla immediately sped up, hurrying away from their prying gaze. Served her right for eavesdropping, she thought to herself, though her hair was still standing on end.

She had seen that type of expression several times in the past, one that was void of empathy or concern. Dragons that apathetic were worse than those who were bitter or hateful.

Lilla didn't see where she was going in her rush to escape, and she slammed right into another dragon.

"I'm so sorry!" she gasped reflexively as she looked up. "Are you alright?"

"Where are you running off to looking like that?" Rodrathym bent lower to peer into her eyes. "Did something happen?"

"No, just... thinking," she said quickly.

"Hm," he was unconvinced, but didn't press her on it. "Well, keep your chin up; it's easier to watch where you're walking."

She gave a feeble laugh. "Thanks,"

"No problem."

Lilla didn't give the Imperial a chance to ask any other questions as she hurried off in search of AshLeaf.

Looking for lore?
My clan has an ongoing story that you can read!
[center][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/40155447][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/coliseum/portraits/401555/40155447.png[/img][/url][/center] The week passed slowly as the final preparations for winter began. Merris and Nelan were together every hour of the day as she quickly learned to speak Draconic alongside her drills and some of the other skills that her father attempted to plant. One such skill was the sixth sense that Guardians had about the location of their charge. Having Treya hide with invisibility appeared to work before the Clanfather realized that his daughter was merely using scent to track her charge. He then enlisted the help of NightShade to mask the Pearlcatcher's presence from every sensory angle, and was relieved to find that Nelan was not instantly able to discern her location. The exploration of the ruins yielded more and more strange discoveries. Symbols and a language that none could seem to decipher. Many idols and carvings of a figure that many compared to the Shade, although the Gaolers always resisted this comparison. Mealtimes became loud and passionate once more as more of the clan was pulled into the endeavor. Dew became more and more prominent as commanding officer, and by the latter half of the week, had assumed all of GrimRill's duties. GrimRill took this opportunity to rest, and was almost back to normal with only the addition of some new scars to remember his injuries by. Many of the ice dragons of the clan noted the storms that were rapidly increasing in frequency and intensity, and it was decided that those leaving for the summer would do so once Eredia returned.
40155447.png

The week passed slowly as the final preparations for winter began. Merris and Nelan were together every hour of the day as she quickly learned to speak Draconic alongside her drills and some of the other skills that her father attempted to plant. One such skill was the sixth sense that Guardians had about the location of their charge.

Having Treya hide with invisibility appeared to work before the Clanfather realized that his daughter was merely using scent to track her charge. He then enlisted the help of NightShade to mask the Pearlcatcher's presence from every sensory angle, and was relieved to find that Nelan was not instantly able to discern her location.

The exploration of the ruins yielded more and more strange discoveries. Symbols and a language that none could seem to decipher. Many idols and carvings of a figure that many compared to the Shade, although the Gaolers always resisted this comparison. Mealtimes became loud and passionate once more as more of the clan was pulled into the endeavor.

Dew became more and more prominent as commanding officer, and by the latter half of the week, had assumed all of GrimRill's duties. GrimRill took this opportunity to rest, and was almost back to normal with only the addition of some new scars to remember his injuries by.

Many of the ice dragons of the clan noted the storms that were rapidly increasing in frequency and intensity, and it was decided that those leaving for the summer would do so once Eredia returned.

Looking for lore?
[center][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/85631083][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/coliseum/portraits/856311/85631083.png[/img][/url][/center] The seventh day dawned, and Eredia returned as the sun was still rising, her fur covered with small crystals of ice. Alone, Rill noticed with a hidden satisfaction. "Welcome back, Eredia!" Mystery smiled wide from her position near the wall. "How was the weather?" "Very cold," she puffed, hurrying away from the open gates with a smile. "Excuse me, Mystery, but I need to get something hot to drink." "Of course!" While Eredia disappeared into the Mess Hall for some tea, GrimRill began casually making his way toward the dais, anticipating the inevitable call. Sure enough, five minutes later he was joined by the other council members, with Hilgeth the last to enter. "I see you're all eager to hear what Eredia has to say," she chuckled. "Did you at least make any connections?" Cenue asked as she leaned forward. "Perhaps someone who can join us at a later date? Or under certain conditions?" Eredia shook her head. "I'm sorry. There are plenty willing to teach someone if we were to pay for their education and expenses, but none that wish to become members." Several of the females present gave frustrated sighs. "We should decide on our plans to travel," Rill spoke up, ignoring the tension. "Since many of us will be leaving at the same time, and heading in the same direction, I think it would be best to move as a group. At least until we reach the Windswept Plateau." Eredia nodded at Hilgeth. "The summer storms will begin very soon; my trip here was much more precarious than when I left a week ago." "I see. Will you be able to leave with us as well, Eredia? Or do you need more time to rest?" Hilgeth asked, her eyes distracted at the sight of Nelan wandering through the hall, her large eyes distant as the small Guardian searched for her imperceptible charge. Eredia hesitated for several moments before GrimRill stepped forward. "Hilgeth, Eredia should remain here if you and Merris will both be absent," Rill's voice was oddly serious. "I can look for new members; I already do that anyway." "But-" Eredia held up a hand before she was interrupted. "Eredia needs to stay here regardless; we can't maintain the clan if she is constantly out." Hilgeth paused. "So long as you are willing to; I thought that this time was one you took for personal leave." "We always keep an eye out for promising dragons," he smirked. "Eredia, I have something you can do to help us, if you really don't want to take a break." She gave a defeated chuckle. "I'll speak to you after this, I suppose." Rill gave a wide smile. "I say we leave tomorrow morning; most of us are ready anyway." "I'd like you to inform all the members that will be leaving with us, then. And our guests," Hilgeth ordered. "Of course," he smirked. "I would like a list of what I'm looking for, but if you all have nothing else for me right now, I'll be on my way." Phantom narrowed her eyes. "I'd say we have enough Aberrations, so perhaps you could branch out to other breeds. Or are you not charismatic enough for that?" "Well, most Mirror dragons aren't exactly thrilled at my pitch for this clan, and you don't see much else in the Scarred Wasteland," Rill shrugged innocently. "But if it's for you, Phantom, I'll give it my best." "I think that's all, Rill," Hilgeth sighed as she belatedly answered his question. "Thank you." "You're welcome," he smiled, bowing low as he left without hesitation. As the council members began listing out all the jobs that needed to be filled, Rill grinned to himself. The Aberrations took only several minutes to find, and then he had the task of finding Radinen. It had been quite some time since he had an excuse to talk to him, but he certainly wasn't going to pass this up.
85631083.png

The seventh day dawned, and Eredia returned as the sun was still rising, her fur covered with small crystals of ice.

Alone, Rill noticed with a hidden satisfaction.

"Welcome back, Eredia!" Mystery smiled wide from her position near the wall. "How was the weather?"

"Very cold," she puffed, hurrying away from the open gates with a smile. "Excuse me, Mystery, but I need to get something hot to drink."

"Of course!"

While Eredia disappeared into the Mess Hall for some tea, GrimRill began casually making his way toward the dais, anticipating the inevitable call. Sure enough, five minutes later he was joined by the other council members, with Hilgeth the last to enter.

"I see you're all eager to hear what Eredia has to say," she chuckled.

"Did you at least make any connections?" Cenue asked as she leaned forward. "Perhaps someone who can join us at a later date? Or under certain conditions?"

Eredia shook her head. "I'm sorry. There are plenty willing to teach someone if we were to pay for their education and expenses, but none that wish to become members."

Several of the females present gave frustrated sighs.

"We should decide on our plans to travel," Rill spoke up, ignoring the tension. "Since many of us will be leaving at the same time, and heading in the same direction, I think it would be best to move as a group. At least until we reach the Windswept Plateau."

Eredia nodded at Hilgeth. "The summer storms will begin very soon; my trip here was much more precarious than when I left a week ago."

"I see. Will you be able to leave with us as well, Eredia? Or do you need more time to rest?" Hilgeth asked, her eyes distracted at the sight of Nelan wandering through the hall, her large eyes distant as the small Guardian searched for her imperceptible charge.

Eredia hesitated for several moments before GrimRill stepped forward. "Hilgeth, Eredia should remain here if you and Merris will both be absent," Rill's voice was oddly serious. "I can look for new members; I already do that anyway."

"But-" Eredia held up a hand before she was interrupted.

"Eredia needs to stay here regardless; we can't maintain the clan if she is constantly out."

Hilgeth paused. "So long as you are willing to; I thought that this time was one you took for personal leave."

"We always keep an eye out for promising dragons," he smirked. "Eredia, I have something you can do to help us, if you really don't want to take a break."

She gave a defeated chuckle. "I'll speak to you after this, I suppose."

Rill gave a wide smile. "I say we leave tomorrow morning; most of us are ready anyway."

"I'd like you to inform all the members that will be leaving with us, then. And our guests," Hilgeth ordered.

"Of course," he smirked. "I would like a list of what I'm looking for, but if you all have nothing else for me right now, I'll be on my way."

Phantom narrowed her eyes. "I'd say we have enough Aberrations, so perhaps you could branch out to other breeds. Or are you not charismatic enough for that?"

"Well, most Mirror dragons aren't exactly thrilled at my pitch for this clan, and you don't see much else in the Scarred Wasteland," Rill shrugged innocently. "But if it's for you, Phantom, I'll give it my best."

"I think that's all, Rill," Hilgeth sighed as she belatedly answered his question. "Thank you."

"You're welcome," he smiled, bowing low as he left without hesitation.

As the council members began listing out all the jobs that needed to be filled, Rill grinned to himself. The Aberrations took only several minutes to find, and then he had the task of finding Radinen.

It had been quite some time since he had an excuse to talk to him, but he certainly wasn't going to pass this up.

Looking for lore?
Radinen sat in the dining hall reading through a tome of sorts. His ice runes were dim as he rested on the seat, not nearly any frost around him or on the wood itself.

Despite his resting figure his eyes wandered around looking for something until he landed right on a spot near a pillar. He huffs as he tracks the invisible figure wandering around the dining hall, Nelan nowhere in sight to follow it, then he goes back to his tome while occasionally tracking her.
Radinen sat in the dining hall reading through a tome of sorts. His ice runes were dim as he rested on the seat, not nearly any frost around him or on the wood itself.

Despite his resting figure his eyes wandered around looking for something until he landed right on a spot near a pillar. He huffs as he tracks the invisible figure wandering around the dining hall, Nelan nowhere in sight to follow it, then he goes back to his tome while occasionally tracking her.
fBPJ3kI.png
"Rad, Radinen, how's it going?" Rill asked, poking his head over. "'A Thousand and One Ways to Convince Others to Like You: A Guide to Friendship for the Friendless'? Good read?"
"Rad, Radinen, how's it going?" Rill asked, poking his head over. "'A Thousand and One Ways to Convince Others to Like You: A Guide to Friendship for the Friendless'? Good read?"

Looking for lore?
Radinen cringed at the sudden appearance of GrimRill as his eyes glared at him with annoyance.
"Good read, though I think it will help you more than me. After all, last I checked you either killed or abandoned your friends. Only friend on the abandoned part specifically.” He emphasizes.

His eyes flit back to the pages of the tome. “What are you here to tease me about this time Rill? Finally found something worthy of your time to bother me about?” An icy breath leaves his maw as he speaks.
Radinen cringed at the sudden appearance of GrimRill as his eyes glared at him with annoyance.
"Good read, though I think it will help you more than me. After all, last I checked you either killed or abandoned your friends. Only friend on the abandoned part specifically.” He emphasizes.

His eyes flit back to the pages of the tome. “What are you here to tease me about this time Rill? Finally found something worthy of your time to bother me about?” An icy breath leaves his maw as he speaks.
fBPJ3kI.png
Rill gave a little laugh under his breath. "Boss-lady says we're leaving tomorrow, but we'll all be traveling together. Just like old times, eh? It'll be a nice way to wrap up your trip."
Rill gave a little laugh under his breath. "Boss-lady says we're leaving tomorrow, but we'll all be traveling together. Just like old times, eh? It'll be a nice way to wrap up your trip."

Looking for lore?
“I would scarcely call what you and we did traveling back then.” He flips to the next page. “Still shocked you are able to stay in one place long enough without causing a ruckus.” A sarcastic tone can be noted.
“Unless, luck just has not gone your way.”
“I would scarcely call what you and we did traveling back then.” He flips to the next page. “Still shocked you are able to stay in one place long enough without causing a ruckus.” A sarcastic tone can be noted.
“Unless, luck just has not gone your way.”
fBPJ3kI.png
"It's been hard," Rill's voice suddenly became melancholy, though it was tight, like he was trying his hardest not to laugh. "But, I've put the past behind me. Water under the bridge, you know? Everyone makes mistakes."
"It's been hard," Rill's voice suddenly became melancholy, though it was tight, like he was trying his hardest not to laugh. "But, I've put the past behind me. Water under the bridge, you know? Everyone makes mistakes."

Looking for lore?
Radinen gave a Mm, not believing anything Rill was saying whispering under his breath sarcastically, “Sure you did.”.
His eyes moved up from the book to find the invisible figure once again though noticed he had lost her. Nothing happens as he turns a page and looks back to the new page.
“I presume you will not be meeting Treya again since we leave in the morning or are you going to talk one more time? Like old friends do I suppose.”
Radinen gave a Mm, not believing anything Rill was saying whispering under his breath sarcastically, “Sure you did.”.
His eyes moved up from the book to find the invisible figure once again though noticed he had lost her. Nothing happens as he turns a page and looks back to the new page.
“I presume you will not be meeting Treya again since we leave in the morning or are you going to talk one more time? Like old friends do I suppose.”
fBPJ3kI.png
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 22 23