Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | [Lore] The Winter of Solitude
1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 22 23
"I could hardly sit back and do nothing with a reading like that," Grim made a soft sound of amusement. "Besides, if another unfavorable fate awaits me, I'll just change that one as well."

Rill didn't hesitate to sweep the coins back into their bag with a smirk as both unfurled their wings.

Neither gave a proper goodbye, taking off without another word. Rill, however, made a motion that implied he would be keeping an eye on Selenia before the pair angled into the rising sun.
"I could hardly sit back and do nothing with a reading like that," Grim made a soft sound of amusement. "Besides, if another unfavorable fate awaits me, I'll just change that one as well."

Rill didn't hesitate to sweep the coins back into their bag with a smirk as both unfurled their wings.

Neither gave a proper goodbye, taking off without another word. Rill, however, made a motion that implied he would be keeping an eye on Selenia before the pair angled into the rising sun.

Looking for lore?
My clan has an ongoing story that you can read!
Once the pair of Guardians were ready to leave, Hilgeth and Merris wandered around until they found Nelan and Treya taking a tour of their daughter's new home.

"Nelan, we'll be leaving very soon," Hilgeth said, looking over at her mate, who was slowly reaching into his own bag. "Your father wanted to give you something before we left."

Merris drew out a piece of metal that shone with a greenish cast; a helmet. "I know this will be large on you for some time, but it is magical, so it should adjust to fit once you're of age," he said as he continued pulling out other items until he had assembled a suit of armor. "I won't be here to protect you anymore, so... this will have to do in my stead."

He looked into her eyes with a pained expression. "I'll always be here if you need me, Aura."

"We love you very much," Hilgeth embraced her with a sad smile. "Don't forget to write back to us. Do your best, and enjoy yourself. You have a wonderful new home, and I'm sure you'll make many friends here too."
Once the pair of Guardians were ready to leave, Hilgeth and Merris wandered around until they found Nelan and Treya taking a tour of their daughter's new home.

"Nelan, we'll be leaving very soon," Hilgeth said, looking over at her mate, who was slowly reaching into his own bag. "Your father wanted to give you something before we left."

Merris drew out a piece of metal that shone with a greenish cast; a helmet. "I know this will be large on you for some time, but it is magical, so it should adjust to fit once you're of age," he said as he continued pulling out other items until he had assembled a suit of armor. "I won't be here to protect you anymore, so... this will have to do in my stead."

He looked into her eyes with a pained expression. "I'll always be here if you need me, Aura."

"We love you very much," Hilgeth embraced her with a sad smile. "Don't forget to write back to us. Do your best, and enjoy yourself. You have a wonderful new home, and I'm sure you'll make many friends here too."

Looking for lore?
Nelan takes the armor from her father with a smile as she hugs the both of them.
"Thank you, father and thank you as well mother. I love you too."

She takes a step back from them as she nods. "I won't forget to write back, I promise. Treya already told me she would remind me if I do accidently forget."
The Pearlcatcher looks away acting like she did not say that to her.

"I'll visit when I can."
Nelan takes the armor from her father with a smile as she hugs the both of them.
"Thank you, father and thank you as well mother. I love you too."

She takes a step back from them as she nods. "I won't forget to write back, I promise. Treya already told me she would remind me if I do accidently forget."
The Pearlcatcher looks away acting like she did not say that to her.

"I'll visit when I can."
fBPJ3kI.png
Hilgeth seemed satisfied with the response, but Merris hesitated before he pulled Nelan in with his wings, giving her a swift embrace.

"Goodbye, daughter."

Avoiding the Pearlcatcher standing nearby, Merris pulled back, giving his daughter a formal nod as he took off, circling once to allow Hilgeth to reach him before they both began flying towards the distant shores of their homeland.
Hilgeth seemed satisfied with the response, but Merris hesitated before he pulled Nelan in with his wings, giving her a swift embrace.

"Goodbye, daughter."

Avoiding the Pearlcatcher standing nearby, Merris pulled back, giving his daughter a formal nod as he took off, circling once to allow Hilgeth to reach him before they both began flying towards the distant shores of their homeland.

Looking for lore?
[center][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/85631083][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/coliseum/portraits/856311/85631083.png[/img][/url][/center] Rill hated flying toward the east in the morning, but he was grateful for the dark markings they had near their eyes, or rather, his eyes. Grim's third eye had nothing, but still, he kept watch without complaint. [i]What did you think of the second half?[/i] he asked finally, unable to wait. [i]Two sneers, could be an Aberration, or two individuals that are working against us.[/i] Grim's eyes were distant as he thought. [i]Everyone watches. We need to change our approach; become more likeable by others.[/i] Rill groaned aloud. [i]By 'we' you mean [/i]me[i].[/i] Grim chuckled. [i]Who else? You're the one who represents us.[/i] [i]Why is it that I always have to be the one changing for our plans to work?[/i] he huffed, giving his partner a sidelong glare. [i]There are ways I alter myself as well, but there's no point in telling you about that.[/i] Rill bit his tongue. Grim was right, but still, he didn't like always being left out of what his counterpart was thinking. If he said anything, though, he knew it would be met with casual indifference. [i]Why don't you ever want to talk about things with me?[/i] Rill knew he was probably wasting his time, but he couldn't hold himself back. [i]We're a team, but it seems like you see me as just... I don't know, a grunt, or something.[/i] [i]You told me many times you didn't care about the reasoning behind my ideas, you just wanted to know what you had to do.[/i] [i]That was a long time ago, Grim.[/i] Grim looked over with an amused expression. [i]So you're saying you've changed?[/i] Rill was lost for words, but his eyes betrayed how hurt he was at the question. [i]Why do you care so much about what I'm thinking?[/i] Grim asked. [i]Just forget it,[/i] he gestured angrily, turning away. Grim said nothing, but he watched his double for a few seconds more before he turned his attention back to their course.
85631083.png

Rill hated flying toward the east in the morning, but he was grateful for the dark markings they had near their eyes, or rather, his eyes. Grim's third eye had nothing, but still, he kept watch without complaint.

What did you think of the second half? he asked finally, unable to wait.

Two sneers, could be an Aberration, or two individuals that are working against us. Grim's eyes were distant as he thought. Everyone watches. We need to change our approach; become more likeable by others.

Rill groaned aloud. By 'we' you mean me.

Grim chuckled. Who else? You're the one who represents us.

Why is it that I always have to be the one changing for our plans to work? he huffed, giving his partner a sidelong glare.

There are ways I alter myself as well, but there's no point in telling you about that.

Rill bit his tongue. Grim was right, but still, he didn't like always being left out of what his counterpart was thinking. If he said anything, though, he knew it would be met with casual indifference.

Why don't you ever want to talk about things with me? Rill knew he was probably wasting his time, but he couldn't hold himself back. We're a team, but it seems like you see me as just... I don't know, a grunt, or something.

You told me many times you didn't care about the reasoning behind my ideas, you just wanted to know what you had to do.

That was a long time ago, Grim.

Grim looked over with an amused expression. So you're saying you've changed?

Rill was lost for words, but his eyes betrayed how hurt he was at the question.

Why do you care so much about what I'm thinking? Grim asked.

Just forget it, he gestured angrily, turning away.

Grim said nothing, but he watched his double for a few seconds more before he turned his attention back to their course.

Looking for lore?
[center][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/75872151][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/coliseum/portraits/758722/75872151.png[/img][/url][/center] The sun was touching the horizon when they finally landed in Lanternlea Port, grateful for the chance to rest their wings as they stopped to have supper on a hilltop overlooking the harbor. GrimRill didn't have to wait for long before a [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/75872151]male Fae[/url] casually approached them, perching in a semi-distant tree to avoid suspicion, although he was still close enough that they could carry a conversation. "You're late." "Something came up," Rill said, rummaging around in their bags. "Besides, we said we would start at sundown. We still have plenty of time." "If you're a fast swimmer," the deadpan voice corrected. Rill just chuckled in response. "I'm assuming your familiar will be joining us." "Naturally." "Just make sure it doesn't get in the way of ours, then," Rill nodded to Wit, who settled down several feet away. "Wit, that goblin is working with us today." The chacma made a growl of agreement, studying the magenta goblin with an appraising sniff before it concluded. The silence would have been awkward if Rill hadn't filled it with his obnoxiously loud sounds of eating, which just happened to last until the sun finally went behind the silhouette of an elegant ship. "Well, time to get to work," Rill said cheerfully as he snapped up the last bite, then began moving down the hill. "You said you wanted the money, right, Bledryn?" The Fae had little emotion, but a convincing display of irritation was audible in his response. "I must have said this a thousand times, but yes." "I'll try to remember it this time, then." Rill smirked, moving into a swift trot as he approached the water. The Aberration didn't hesitate, slipping into the sea without a ripple as the two familiars faded into the sky above. GrimRill was most at home in the water, but it still took half an hour to reach the ship, even swimming at his fastest. By that time, it was dark, and lights had been lit around the deck, illuminating the patrons and their bodyguards as they mingled. Both heads silently surfaced, all five eyes studying the exterior of the ship before they found a small platform that directly floated on the water, for those who would want to swim, as though any would. A single guard was posted on the landing, but another was nearby, higher up a flight of stairs that disappeared into the ship. Knowing that their associate was observing the situation from afar, Rill quietly murmured "Stairs" before they dove down and waited near the closer guard, hanging beneath the surface as Grim calculated the distance. Then they struck. With a powerful stroke of their wings, both launched out of the water, letting their weight crash into the Wildclaw female as Grim clamped down on her throat. Once she was unconscious, she was dumped over the side, as was the other guard, who had also fared poorly against the two familiars. GrimRill went quickly, sending Wit ahead in order to disable any that might see them, but there were surprisingly few guards throughout the ship. Rill remembered Grim speculating that most of the guards would be posted around the actual goods, and he began dreading the confrontation. Suddenly the noises of the crowd were interrupted by a scream, and some frantic shouting. Grim instantly pulled them into an open room, pressing against the wall just in time for several dragons to race past. The room they had entered was empty, thankfully, one of the entrances to a stage that most likely had been used to auction off the items earlier. Grim didn't hesitate, padding forward silently and searching for some other exit that led to the storerooms. Suddenly the arcane goblin froze and pivoted, raising one of its fingers to point behind them, in the rows of seats. Rill turned back to see a female Pearlcatcher fall to the floor near the entrance they had come in, her mouth still open from her attempt to scream. A second later, Grim found what he was searching for; a short door that opened into a narrow corridor. [i]Get ready.[/i] When the party of three came to the end of the small passage, they were pleasantly surprised to find only a single guard, who had his back to them. Several moments later, they were pacing through the shelves of hundreds of items, the body of the Nocturne lying still on the floor. Bledryn's familiar was already headed in the direction of the vault while GrimRill scanned each section for their prize. Grim was beginning to show signs of frustration when they finally found the scroll case, partially hidden behind a larger, less valuable item. He immediately took it, placing it in the bag at his waist before taking a selection of other small items to throw off any later investigation. The goblin cracked the vault door, and although they heard and saw nothing, they knew an alarm would be going off somewhere. Rill took all of the platinum he could carry, and Grim did the same with gemstones, before they quickly went back up to the theatre and hurried back the way they had come. And straight into the grasp of an Imperial. Rill didn't hesitate, immediately launching them toward their opponent's eyes as Wit gave them an extra second by passing its effect to the other dragon. The Imperial gave a stifled groan of agony from the splitting migraine, but was still able to form a spell in his claws as he stumbled, then released it. Rill took the brunt of the hit, his fur singed as the bolt of lightning branded an arching scar across his wing and down through his front leg. The pain stunned the pair for a moment, dropping them onto the other dragon as their wings stalled. It was only thanks to the Fae's familiar that the second spell was countered, and they were able to score several deep bites on his face before they jumped back. The hallucinations took hold of the Imperial, and he began flailing, lashing out so strongly that he broke the side of the ship, sending the Aberration flying out with an unintentional swat of his wing. GrimRill bounced several times on the water before plunging into the cold, immediately diving deeper as fast as they could. Several minutes passed as they watched a number of dragons searching above the surface, and one or two that swam dangerously close, but thankfully didn't notice them. Rill's wing was badly injured, and they wouldn't be able to swim well, much less fly, so escape would be impossible if they were caught. The enchanting goblin suddenly appeared, gesturing to their bags. Rill opened his, offering the platinum, which was all sucked into an extra-dimensional space, along with the gemstones that Grim had taken. Then the familiar disappeared, leaving them to their uncertain fate. [i]He could have stayed a bit longer to help.[/i] Rill motioned with a grim chuckle as they carefully inched back into the collection of stones and seaweed. [i]I don't think he wants to be caught.[/i] Grim looked up at a male Coatl that was searching nearby. If he was thorough, he would find them within fifteen seconds. [i]We need to make this one instant.[/i] [i]Way ahead of you.[/i] Rill grinned as both readied to strike, drifting over slightly so they would be almost entirely concealed near his path. The other dragon didn't stand a chance, his throat crushed by two sets of jaws before both switched to his skull. They quickly pushed the body into a nearby current, which whisked it away and down into the nearby drop-off. After that the night was long, though Rill was able to sleep a little while Grim kept watch. When the dragons combing the area disappeared for over ten minutes, GrimRill quickly began swimming out into the ocean proper, putting as much distance as they could between them and the larger search party that was bound to come. [i]We were seen.[/i] Grim narrowed his eyes. [i]He was seeing a lot of stuff,[/i] Rill smirked. [i]And it was only for a few seconds.[/i] Grim didn't reply, though he clearly was not amenable to Rill's words. The pair swam until the pain began to noticeably slow their pace, and they stopped to find a reef to hide in. [i]We're not going to be able to make it for tomorrow,[/i] Rill's inflection category was apologetic. [i]Even if we were to take the Deepriver.[/i] [i]Can't be helped. Just focus on resting; we need to recover as quickly as possible, so stop talking and go to sleep.[/i] Grim said coldly, without a change in his stance. [i]I'll wake you when I need to rest.[/i] Rill sighed, tucking his head under his wing before he flinched back, resting it on his shoulder as he drifted off into unconsciousness.
75872151.png

The sun was touching the horizon when they finally landed in Lanternlea Port, grateful for the chance to rest their wings as they stopped to have supper on a hilltop overlooking the harbor.

GrimRill didn't have to wait for long before a male Fae casually approached them, perching in a semi-distant tree to avoid suspicion, although he was still close enough that they could carry a conversation.

"You're late."

"Something came up," Rill said, rummaging around in their bags. "Besides, we said we would start at sundown. We still have plenty of time."

"If you're a fast swimmer," the deadpan voice corrected.

Rill just chuckled in response. "I'm assuming your familiar will be joining us."

"Naturally."

"Just make sure it doesn't get in the way of ours, then," Rill nodded to Wit, who settled down several feet away. "Wit, that goblin is working with us today."

The chacma made a growl of agreement, studying the magenta goblin with an appraising sniff before it concluded.

The silence would have been awkward if Rill hadn't filled it with his obnoxiously loud sounds of eating, which just happened to last until the sun finally went behind the silhouette of an elegant ship.

"Well, time to get to work," Rill said cheerfully as he snapped up the last bite, then began moving down the hill. "You said you wanted the money, right, Bledryn?"

The Fae had little emotion, but a convincing display of irritation was audible in his response. "I must have said this a thousand times, but yes."

"I'll try to remember it this time, then." Rill smirked, moving into a swift trot as he approached the water. The Aberration didn't hesitate, slipping into the sea without a ripple as the two familiars faded into the sky above.

GrimRill was most at home in the water, but it still took half an hour to reach the ship, even swimming at his fastest. By that time, it was dark, and lights had been lit around the deck, illuminating the patrons and their bodyguards as they mingled.

Both heads silently surfaced, all five eyes studying the exterior of the ship before they found a small platform that directly floated on the water, for those who would want to swim, as though any would. A single guard was posted on the landing, but another was nearby, higher up a flight of stairs that disappeared into the ship.

Knowing that their associate was observing the situation from afar, Rill quietly murmured "Stairs" before they dove down and waited near the closer guard, hanging beneath the surface as Grim calculated the distance.

Then they struck. With a powerful stroke of their wings, both launched out of the water, letting their weight crash into the Wildclaw female as Grim clamped down on her throat. Once she was unconscious, she was dumped over the side, as was the other guard, who had also fared poorly against the two familiars.

GrimRill went quickly, sending Wit ahead in order to disable any that might see them, but there were surprisingly few guards throughout the ship. Rill remembered Grim speculating that most of the guards would be posted around the actual goods, and he began dreading the confrontation.

Suddenly the noises of the crowd were interrupted by a scream, and some frantic shouting. Grim instantly pulled them into an open room, pressing against the wall just in time for several dragons to race past.

The room they had entered was empty, thankfully, one of the entrances to a stage that most likely had been used to auction off the items earlier. Grim didn't hesitate, padding forward silently and searching for some other exit that led to the storerooms.

Suddenly the arcane goblin froze and pivoted, raising one of its fingers to point behind them, in the rows of seats. Rill turned back to see a female Pearlcatcher fall to the floor near the entrance they had come in, her mouth still open from her attempt to scream.

A second later, Grim found what he was searching for; a short door that opened into a narrow corridor.

Get ready.

When the party of three came to the end of the small passage, they were pleasantly surprised to find only a single guard, who had his back to them. Several moments later, they were pacing through the shelves of hundreds of items, the body of the Nocturne lying still on the floor.

Bledryn's familiar was already headed in the direction of the vault while GrimRill scanned each section for their prize. Grim was beginning to show signs of frustration when they finally found the scroll case, partially hidden behind a larger, less valuable item.

He immediately took it, placing it in the bag at his waist before taking a selection of other small items to throw off any later investigation. The goblin cracked the vault door, and although they heard and saw nothing, they knew an alarm would be going off somewhere.

Rill took all of the platinum he could carry, and Grim did the same with gemstones, before they quickly went back up to the theatre and hurried back the way they had come.

And straight into the grasp of an Imperial.

Rill didn't hesitate, immediately launching them toward their opponent's eyes as Wit gave them an extra second by passing its effect to the other dragon. The Imperial gave a stifled groan of agony from the splitting migraine, but was still able to form a spell in his claws as he stumbled, then released it.

Rill took the brunt of the hit, his fur singed as the bolt of lightning branded an arching scar across his wing and down through his front leg. The pain stunned the pair for a moment, dropping them onto the other dragon as their wings stalled. It was only thanks to the Fae's familiar that the second spell was countered, and they were able to score several deep bites on his face before they jumped back.

The hallucinations took hold of the Imperial, and he began flailing, lashing out so strongly that he broke the side of the ship, sending the Aberration flying out with an unintentional swat of his wing. GrimRill bounced several times on the water before plunging into the cold, immediately diving deeper as fast as they could.

Several minutes passed as they watched a number of dragons searching above the surface, and one or two that swam dangerously close, but thankfully didn't notice them. Rill's wing was badly injured, and they wouldn't be able to swim well, much less fly, so escape would be impossible if they were caught.

The enchanting goblin suddenly appeared, gesturing to their bags. Rill opened his, offering the platinum, which was all sucked into an extra-dimensional space, along with the gemstones that Grim had taken. Then the familiar disappeared, leaving them to their uncertain fate.

He could have stayed a bit longer to help. Rill motioned with a grim chuckle as they carefully inched back into the collection of stones and seaweed.

I don't think he wants to be caught. Grim looked up at a male Coatl that was searching nearby. If he was thorough, he would find them within fifteen seconds. We need to make this one instant.

Way ahead of you. Rill grinned as both readied to strike, drifting over slightly so they would be almost entirely concealed near his path. The other dragon didn't stand a chance, his throat crushed by two sets of jaws before both switched to his skull. They quickly pushed the body into a nearby current, which whisked it away and down into the nearby drop-off.

After that the night was long, though Rill was able to sleep a little while Grim kept watch. When the dragons combing the area disappeared for over ten minutes, GrimRill quickly began swimming out into the ocean proper, putting as much distance as they could between them and the larger search party that was bound to come.

We were seen. Grim narrowed his eyes.

He was seeing a lot of stuff, Rill smirked. And it was only for a few seconds.

Grim didn't reply, though he clearly was not amenable to Rill's words. The pair swam until the pain began to noticeably slow their pace, and they stopped to find a reef to hide in.

We're not going to be able to make it for tomorrow, Rill's inflection category was apologetic. Even if we were to take the Deepriver.

Can't be helped. Just focus on resting; we need to recover as quickly as possible, so stop talking and go to sleep. Grim said coldly, without a change in his stance. I'll wake you when I need to rest.

Rill sighed, tucking his head under his wing before he flinched back, resting it on his shoulder as he drifted off into unconsciousness.

Looking for lore?
[center][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/85633087][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/coliseum/portraits/856331/85633087.png[/img][/url][/center] It had been four days since the party of five left, but things continued as normal. Phantom seemed to be strangely angry, even though Weiss had assumed she would have been glad to have GrimRill gone. After a light breakfast, the young members of the clan were scheduled for a lesson with Eredia, and Weiss quickly dashed back to her own small personal nook to grab her arcane focus. She flew back, but seeing that no one had begun moving to the Training Hall, she slowed and touched down in the hallway. Mystery was standing watch not far away, and suddenly Weiss remembered the conversation between her father and Horst. She instantly tucked her small stone away in her pocket and trotted over to the Aberration. "Mystery," "Hello, Weiss. Something I can help you with?" Both heads smiled cheerfully. The Aether paused, then gave an embarrassed smile. "I actually wanted to ask you about something I overheard." "Oh?" "My Dad said that you were raised by the harpies, so I was wondering... why do you like talking to them? Wouldn't you hate seeing them at all?" Weiss watched the Aberration carefully, trying to decipher the complex emotions that flashed through her eyes. "Why would I hate them?" Mystery gave a tense laugh. "They took care of me." The younger dragon's expression became serious. "Well... they were keeping you prisoner, probably after they took you from your parents. You don't... you don't dislike them for that?" Mystery's smiles faded, and she looked down for a few moments. "I don't know how they came to have me; I don't think it's fair to assume they kidnapped me." Weiss shuffled around awkwardly, her curiosity overtaking the voice in her head that urged her to stop her line of questioning. "Still, they didn't let you leave, right? Would you have been okay with that for the rest of your life?" Only one responded this time. Mist, the one on the right, slowly leaned forward. "Weiss, I'm sorry, but I don't really want to talk about this anymore." "But-" "Weiss, stop bothering Mystery and go to your lesson!" Phantom chided her daughter as she left the Mess Hall. "We always arrive early, remember?" Weiss didn't say anything as she quickly lifted off and flew away without looking back. Phantom quickly turned on the other adolescent dragons, and they fled in a similar fashion. Mist and Eerie said nothing for a few moments, then looked at one another. "I never thought about our parents," Eerie murmured. "I did," her counterpart said. Both looked at one another in astonishment. "Why didn't you ever say anything, then?" Eerie asked. "Because there was nothing [i]to[/i] say. I don't know anything about them, and neither do you." Mist's expression twisted in discomfort. "What would be the point of talking about it?" "Mystery!" a deep voice called as Taniks quietly approached her, his entire body tense. "There's a large group of harpies outside; I think they want to speak to you." Her eyes widened. It hadn't been a month, so what could this possibly be about? "Should I tell Dew?" the Sandsurge asked. Both nodded. "I'll go ahead." Taniks nodded quickly, then took off at a sprint and disappeared into the corridor that led to the lower levels. Mist felt her mouth dry out as she padded toward the main entrance of the clan. She was always the one speaking to the flock, but she had never done so alone, not without GrimRill present. There was a terrible sinking feeling in her stomach, but she didn't know why. The moment Mystery exited from behind the waterfall, she was greeted by a warband of archers covering the ledges of the mountain, all with arrows pointed directly at her. Zeraene, the current matriarch was standing on the worn footpath, alongside her general, Tyliana, both flanked by their personal retainers. Neither Mist nor Eerie could find words, both stunned into silence at the unexpected hostility. "It is good you came to meet us, Mystery," Zeraene said calmly. "We have come to you on a serious matter today." The Aberration remained silent, so the matriarch continued. "Several nights ago, one of the serpents of your lair trespassed on our territory, and shook the mountain so severely that several of our nests were collapsed. Two of our males were killed." Mystery felt her blood run cold. "What did this dragon look like?" "The great crimson and golden one. I believe he is the mate of your matriarch." [i]Merris?[/i] Eerie quickly opened her mouth. "There must be some mistake; Merris would never attack your nests." "So I am lying," Zeraene raised an eyebrow as several of the soldiers clenched their teeth in outrage. "No! Just... perhaps it was someone else, or-" "We know all of the serpents that live in your mountain," Tyliana hissed, stepping forward ominously. "We know it was your leader's mate." The matriarch held up a feathered arm, and the younger female instantly fell silent, stepping back into position. "We are not here to discuss the matter, Mystery. I am here to serve you this declaration," Another female, this one leaner and softer, emerged from the retainers and lifted her chin, her voice loud and clear as she faced the Aberration without hesitation. "The serpents within this mountain have violated the terms of our treaty several times without warning or reason! As established, we are within our rights to declare war on all those of your kind that dwell within the mountain! If all the serpents within do not immediately abandon this nest, we will lay siege to it and attack all those who leave!" She gave a shallow bow. "You have two hours to decide your course." Mystery choked in shock, but she was not left to stand in her spot, as the entire party of harpies rose into the air. "Go and relay this to your elders, Mystery," Zeraene prompted, several of the soldiers laughing as Mystery shamefully spun back and began running inside, her eyes wide. Dew and Taniks were already standing within the gates. "What did they say?" Dew asked softly, his voice tight with dread. "We have to leave now, or they'll trap us here and kill those who leave." Mystery whispered. Dew was silent for a brief moment, then he coiled back on himself and flew off. "Gather everyone into the Great Hall!" he ordered. "Quickly! I'll go find Eredia and the other council members." Taniks and Mystery didn't wait another second, throwing themselves forward into a terrified sprint as they split up to search the mountain.
85633087.png

It had been four days since the party of five left, but things continued as normal. Phantom seemed to be strangely angry, even though Weiss had assumed she would have been glad to have GrimRill gone.

After a light breakfast, the young members of the clan were scheduled for a lesson with Eredia, and Weiss quickly dashed back to her own small personal nook to grab her arcane focus. She flew back, but seeing that no one had begun moving to the Training Hall, she slowed and touched down in the hallway.

Mystery was standing watch not far away, and suddenly Weiss remembered the conversation between her father and Horst. She instantly tucked her small stone away in her pocket and trotted over to the Aberration.

"Mystery,"

"Hello, Weiss. Something I can help you with?" Both heads smiled cheerfully.

The Aether paused, then gave an embarrassed smile. "I actually wanted to ask you about something I overheard."

"Oh?"

"My Dad said that you were raised by the harpies, so I was wondering... why do you like talking to them? Wouldn't you hate seeing them at all?"

Weiss watched the Aberration carefully, trying to decipher the complex emotions that flashed through her eyes.

"Why would I hate them?" Mystery gave a tense laugh. "They took care of me."

The younger dragon's expression became serious. "Well... they were keeping you prisoner, probably after they took you from your parents. You don't... you don't dislike them for that?"

Mystery's smiles faded, and she looked down for a few moments. "I don't know how they came to have me; I don't think it's fair to assume they kidnapped me."

Weiss shuffled around awkwardly, her curiosity overtaking the voice in her head that urged her to stop her line of questioning. "Still, they didn't let you leave, right? Would you have been okay with that for the rest of your life?"

Only one responded this time. Mist, the one on the right, slowly leaned forward. "Weiss, I'm sorry, but I don't really want to talk about this anymore."

"But-"

"Weiss, stop bothering Mystery and go to your lesson!" Phantom chided her daughter as she left the Mess Hall. "We always arrive early, remember?"

Weiss didn't say anything as she quickly lifted off and flew away without looking back. Phantom quickly turned on the other adolescent dragons, and they fled in a similar fashion.

Mist and Eerie said nothing for a few moments, then looked at one another.

"I never thought about our parents," Eerie murmured.

"I did," her counterpart said.

Both looked at one another in astonishment. "Why didn't you ever say anything, then?" Eerie asked.

"Because there was nothing to say. I don't know anything about them, and neither do you." Mist's expression twisted in discomfort. "What would be the point of talking about it?"

"Mystery!" a deep voice called as Taniks quietly approached her, his entire body tense. "There's a large group of harpies outside; I think they want to speak to you."

Her eyes widened. It hadn't been a month, so what could this possibly be about?

"Should I tell Dew?" the Sandsurge asked.

Both nodded. "I'll go ahead."

Taniks nodded quickly, then took off at a sprint and disappeared into the corridor that led to the lower levels.

Mist felt her mouth dry out as she padded toward the main entrance of the clan. She was always the one speaking to the flock, but she had never done so alone, not without GrimRill present. There was a terrible sinking feeling in her stomach, but she didn't know why.

The moment Mystery exited from behind the waterfall, she was greeted by a warband of archers covering the ledges of the mountain, all with arrows pointed directly at her. Zeraene, the current matriarch was standing on the worn footpath, alongside her general, Tyliana, both flanked by their personal retainers.

Neither Mist nor Eerie could find words, both stunned into silence at the unexpected hostility.

"It is good you came to meet us, Mystery," Zeraene said calmly. "We have come to you on a serious matter today."

The Aberration remained silent, so the matriarch continued. "Several nights ago, one of the serpents of your lair trespassed on our territory, and shook the mountain so severely that several of our nests were collapsed. Two of our males were killed."

Mystery felt her blood run cold. "What did this dragon look like?"

"The great crimson and golden one. I believe he is the mate of your matriarch."

Merris? Eerie quickly opened her mouth. "There must be some mistake; Merris would never attack your nests."

"So I am lying," Zeraene raised an eyebrow as several of the soldiers clenched their teeth in outrage.

"No! Just... perhaps it was someone else, or-"

"We know all of the serpents that live in your mountain," Tyliana hissed, stepping forward ominously. "We know it was your leader's mate."

The matriarch held up a feathered arm, and the younger female instantly fell silent, stepping back into position. "We are not here to discuss the matter, Mystery. I am here to serve you this declaration,"

Another female, this one leaner and softer, emerged from the retainers and lifted her chin, her voice loud and clear as she faced the Aberration without hesitation.

"The serpents within this mountain have violated the terms of our treaty several times without warning or reason! As established, we are within our rights to declare war on all those of your kind that dwell within the mountain! If all the serpents within do not immediately abandon this nest, we will lay siege to it and attack all those who leave!"

She gave a shallow bow. "You have two hours to decide your course."

Mystery choked in shock, but she was not left to stand in her spot, as the entire party of harpies rose into the air.

"Go and relay this to your elders, Mystery," Zeraene prompted, several of the soldiers laughing as Mystery shamefully spun back and began running inside, her eyes wide.

Dew and Taniks were already standing within the gates. "What did they say?" Dew asked softly, his voice tight with dread.

"We have to leave now, or they'll trap us here and kill those who leave." Mystery whispered.

Dew was silent for a brief moment, then he coiled back on himself and flew off. "Gather everyone into the Great Hall!" he ordered. "Quickly! I'll go find Eredia and the other council members."

Taniks and Mystery didn't wait another second, throwing themselves forward into a terrified sprint as they split up to search the mountain.

Looking for lore?
[center][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/38812962][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/coliseum/portraits/388130/38812962.png[/img][/url][/center] Ten minutes later all the gates had been shut, and the entirety of the clan was crowded into the Great Hall before the dais, where Eredia and the other members of influence were crouched. Mystery concluded her retelling of the exchange, and the room became deafening for several moments as fear took hold of the clan. "We need to leave; we're missing Merris and GrimRill; there's no way we would be able to defend the mountain without them!" [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/88633484]Yarnni[/url], a dark Aether, called out from the panicked chorus of voices, lifting herself into the air as she gestured toward the main gate. "If we have an hour left, we can take all of our things and find another place to wait until Hilgeth and Merris return." "I'm afraid that won't be possible," a [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/88881336]black Sandsurge[/url] lifted his head from his position beside Cenue. "The lands surrounding our territory are full of beastclans and other hostile creatures. If we were all ice dragons, it might be plausible, but we have many young ones, and very few warriors. If we were caught in one storm, not all would survive. That, and all our provisions are here." "So you would suggest remaining here, Jirael?" Eredia asked. "I think that would be the safest decision. We have enough food to last until those who are traveling return; even if we don't gather anything for a month." He paused for a moment, turning his head. "That, and there are others beyond the harpies. It seems that several beastclans have made a temporary alliance against us. Most likely their intent is to split our territory between them if we are driven out." The assembly erupted into panicked accusations and shouting before Eredia rose up, her expression stern as she loomed over the others. "Please, remain calm. Those who have ideas and suggestions should speak, without being interrupted by negative remarks that serve no purpose other than to frighten those present. Remember that we have our fledglings here as well." A number of heads turned to see the spot where most of the youngest dragons had formed a small clump, their eyes wide as they silently watched and listened. "Dew, you are currently in charge of our defenses. What do you think is our best course of action?" The Undertide said nothing for a few moments, slowly making his way to the head of the crowd as he considered his thoughts. "The captain said to write him a letter if we need anything from him. I think we should immediately write him one. Or perhaps multiple, each day until he returns. If Aria's system works, he should receive one eventually." "Yes, and one for Hilgeth and Merris as well," Phantom added quickly, giving him a strange look. Eredia's face darkened at the suggestion. "I don't know that Hilgeth and Merris would receive theirs in a timely fashion, if the letters cannot travel through water. From what I was told, they tend to remain submerged nearly the entire time they are in the Sea of a Thousand Currents." "We can still try," Dew said slowly. "Maybe Aria will find a way to expand her range. It won't hurt." The tension eased slightly as Dew made his way up onto the stone platforms. "I suggest we fortify the mountain as much as possible from the inside. Everyone will be needed to keep watch, though we will obviously keep those who cannot defend themselves further back from possible danger. Our stockpiles are nearly full, thanks to the season, so a short-term siege will not have us starving. We just need to be vigilant until someone returns." "But what if we can't break their lines, even if everyone were to return? I don't want to die in this mountain." Yarnni spoke up again, narrowing her eyes at Jirael and Dew. "I didn't come here to be slaughtered by beastclan warriors." Eredia lifted herself up again, her tone unusually firm. "This clan is the result of Hilgeth's search. If you desire to leave, then do as you please, but I will not be abandoning this mountain." Yarnni glared back at the Imperial, until the black Sandsurge cleared his throat in her direction. "Just remember that our enemies lying is always a possibility. They might have promised us safety if we left simply to lure us out," Jirael said, facing Yarnni with a serious look. The Aether didn't reply, though she made no move to leave the chamber as she dropped back into the mass of dragons. "Are you well-versed in tactics, Jirael?" Dew asked with interest. "I have overheard a good deal in my years," he said. "Though my expertise lies with skirmishing and gathering information." "I would be in your debt if you could assist me in determining a strategy," the Undertide lowered his head formally. "Of course. I would be happy to." "Dew, the Training Hall," Mystery said quietly from the front row. "The channel." He nodded gratefully. "Ker, could I ask you to stand guard at the entrance to the Training Hall? Please keep an eye on the corridor to the lower levels as well." The blood-red Gaoler dipped his head, stalking out of the hall to his position. "How do you know there are other beastclans outside, Jirael?" Anhun asked suddenly. "I can smell them through the drafts. There are a small number of raptorik warriors, and a significant army of longnecks in addition to two separate harpy flocks." he answered easily before switching back to Eredia. "If we are to hold a formal meeting, I would suggest dispersing the members who cannot contribute, to ease their minds. Have them move all their important belongings into the Great Hall and set up here; it will be easier to ensure everyone's safety." "Excellent idea," Eredia forced a smile onto her face. "Those of you who have no experience in this matter, please begin bringing any important goods into this room." "We'll all be sleeping in a big pile?" Dart asked, her tone laughably excited, despite the situation. "I'm sure we can work something out," Eredia chuckled. "Yay! Race you, Baning!" she called out, giggling as the young dragons all rushed off toward their rooms. Phantom rolled her eyes, but had a tiny smile on her face as she pulled away. "I'll watch over them. Please, continue without me." After taking count, and inquiring each member about their abilities, they were left with a small handful of capable defenders. Tumult and Lustre, Jirael, Torn, Dew, Taniks and Mystery. And Ker, who was absent. "I didn't realize we had so few," Dew sighed, pulling in his jaw with frustration. "There are few things that can rival a pair of Ridgebacks in battle," Jirael gave him a reassuring smile. "So don't be too torn up about it. I'd say the most important thing now is to take a good look at the situation." Adagio nodded instantly. "Are you able to maintain invisibility yourself, Jirael?" "I would appreciate some assistance; I will need my concentration for other things," Jirael gave a wry smirk. "I can also give your letters a good push, Dew." The Undertide exhaled in embarrassment. "Right, I almost forgot." "I can write them," Rodrathym offered quickly. "I don't have much to contribute to this matter anyway. What should I say?" "Tell them we are under siege, and we need them to return immediately," Dew ordered, but was silently stopped by Jirael, who held up a talon. "Wait until I come back, so we can tell them exactly who is waiting for them, the numbers, position. It's best to be as specific as possible when informing others on a situation far from them." Jirael thought for a moment before he continued. "The channel that leads to the sea needs to be stopped up immediately," he said, looking to Dew. "Most likely that task will fall to you, corporal. Do you already have a system of magic alarms in this mountain?" "Not yet," the pale corporal shook his head. "I can begin on those today, if Eredia is willing to assist me." Anhun offered. Eredia instantly agreed, as Jirael nodded with satisfaction. "Can I ask what function the elusive Veilspun serves? The one that has no name." "Oh, him. We don't really know." Eredia gave an embarrassed laugh. "He never interacts with any of us, or speaks. Trying to reach him just results in him disappearing." "Hm. Jadus? What is her role here?" "She pays to operate out of our mountain," Eredia answered quickly. "As a lender." Jirael nodded, then looked to Dew. "Do you have any ideas, commanding officer?" He hesitated, then looked up at the diminutive, pale figure perched on Taniks' head. "I was actually wondering if you can trigger a vision, Whisper. Any foresight would be helpful in this situation." Whisper shook her tiny head, her mane swaying from side to side. "I thought so," the Undertide sighed. "Well, if you do have any visions, please inform us immediately, Whisper. You can assist the others, unless you have something to say." She shook her head again, then bowed to those present before buzzing off. "Torn, your elemental affinity is arcane. Are you able to use divination?" Dew asked. "I never took much of an interest in divination. I was mainly interested in theory and conjuration." She gave a hesitant smile. "I was never deployed; due to my... split." "Split?" Several of the dragons at the dais looked over curiously. "Torn in Two, that's what I was called after that," one gave a little grin. "It significantly impacted my abilities, so I was discharged." There was a long pause, before Eredia cleared her throat and turned to Jirael. "I think we've reached the end of our productive discussion. Shall we continue this after you return?" He nodded. "Torn, would you be able to assist me in hiding as I'm out?" "It won't be perfect; you can't attack anything without the invisibility lifting," she warned. "That's fine. I don't intend to give away my presence." A minute later, the dark scout had vanished, and not even his footsteps could be heard as he swiftly made his way out. "Well, let's get to work," Eredia said with a strained smile. "We'll reconvene once he makes his report."
38812962.png

Ten minutes later all the gates had been shut, and the entirety of the clan was crowded into the Great Hall before the dais, where Eredia and the other members of influence were crouched. Mystery concluded her retelling of the exchange, and the room became deafening for several moments as fear took hold of the clan.

"We need to leave; we're missing Merris and GrimRill; there's no way we would be able to defend the mountain without them!" Yarnni, a dark Aether, called out from the panicked chorus of voices, lifting herself into the air as she gestured toward the main gate. "If we have an hour left, we can take all of our things and find another place to wait until Hilgeth and Merris return."

"I'm afraid that won't be possible," a black Sandsurge lifted his head from his position beside Cenue. "The lands surrounding our territory are full of beastclans and other hostile creatures. If we were all ice dragons, it might be plausible, but we have many young ones, and very few warriors. If we were caught in one storm, not all would survive. That, and all our provisions are here."

"So you would suggest remaining here, Jirael?" Eredia asked.

"I think that would be the safest decision. We have enough food to last until those who are traveling return; even if we don't gather anything for a month." He paused for a moment, turning his head. "That, and there are others beyond the harpies. It seems that several beastclans have made a temporary alliance against us. Most likely their intent is to split our territory between them if we are driven out."

The assembly erupted into panicked accusations and shouting before Eredia rose up, her expression stern as she loomed over the others.

"Please, remain calm. Those who have ideas and suggestions should speak, without being interrupted by negative remarks that serve no purpose other than to frighten those present. Remember that we have our fledglings here as well."

A number of heads turned to see the spot where most of the youngest dragons had formed a small clump, their eyes wide as they silently watched and listened.

"Dew, you are currently in charge of our defenses. What do you think is our best course of action?"

The Undertide said nothing for a few moments, slowly making his way to the head of the crowd as he considered his thoughts. "The captain said to write him a letter if we need anything from him. I think we should immediately write him one. Or perhaps multiple, each day until he returns. If Aria's system works, he should receive one eventually."

"Yes, and one for Hilgeth and Merris as well," Phantom added quickly, giving him a strange look.

Eredia's face darkened at the suggestion. "I don't know that Hilgeth and Merris would receive theirs in a timely fashion, if the letters cannot travel through water. From what I was told, they tend to remain submerged nearly the entire time they are in the Sea of a Thousand Currents."

"We can still try," Dew said slowly. "Maybe Aria will find a way to expand her range. It won't hurt."

The tension eased slightly as Dew made his way up onto the stone platforms. "I suggest we fortify the mountain as much as possible from the inside. Everyone will be needed to keep watch, though we will obviously keep those who cannot defend themselves further back from possible danger. Our stockpiles are nearly full, thanks to the season, so a short-term siege will not have us starving. We just need to be vigilant until someone returns."

"But what if we can't break their lines, even if everyone were to return? I don't want to die in this mountain." Yarnni spoke up again, narrowing her eyes at Jirael and Dew. "I didn't come here to be slaughtered by beastclan warriors."

Eredia lifted herself up again, her tone unusually firm. "This clan is the result of Hilgeth's search. If you desire to leave, then do as you please, but I will not be abandoning this mountain."

Yarnni glared back at the Imperial, until the black Sandsurge cleared his throat in her direction.

"Just remember that our enemies lying is always a possibility. They might have promised us safety if we left simply to lure us out," Jirael said, facing Yarnni with a serious look.

The Aether didn't reply, though she made no move to leave the chamber as she dropped back into the mass of dragons.

"Are you well-versed in tactics, Jirael?" Dew asked with interest.

"I have overheard a good deal in my years," he said. "Though my expertise lies with skirmishing and gathering information."

"I would be in your debt if you could assist me in determining a strategy," the Undertide lowered his head formally.

"Of course. I would be happy to."

"Dew, the Training Hall," Mystery said quietly from the front row. "The channel."

He nodded gratefully. "Ker, could I ask you to stand guard at the entrance to the Training Hall? Please keep an eye on the corridor to the lower levels as well."

The blood-red Gaoler dipped his head, stalking out of the hall to his position.

"How do you know there are other beastclans outside, Jirael?" Anhun asked suddenly.

"I can smell them through the drafts. There are a small number of raptorik warriors, and a significant army of longnecks in addition to two separate harpy flocks." he answered easily before switching back to Eredia. "If we are to hold a formal meeting, I would suggest dispersing the members who cannot contribute, to ease their minds. Have them move all their important belongings into the Great Hall and set up here; it will be easier to ensure everyone's safety."

"Excellent idea," Eredia forced a smile onto her face. "Those of you who have no experience in this matter, please begin bringing any important goods into this room."

"We'll all be sleeping in a big pile?" Dart asked, her tone laughably excited, despite the situation.

"I'm sure we can work something out," Eredia chuckled.

"Yay! Race you, Baning!" she called out, giggling as the young dragons all rushed off toward their rooms.

Phantom rolled her eyes, but had a tiny smile on her face as she pulled away. "I'll watch over them. Please, continue without me."

After taking count, and inquiring each member about their abilities, they were left with a small handful of capable defenders. Tumult and Lustre, Jirael, Torn, Dew, Taniks and Mystery. And Ker, who was absent.

"I didn't realize we had so few," Dew sighed, pulling in his jaw with frustration.

"There are few things that can rival a pair of Ridgebacks in battle," Jirael gave him a reassuring smile. "So don't be too torn up about it. I'd say the most important thing now is to take a good look at the situation."

Adagio nodded instantly. "Are you able to maintain invisibility yourself, Jirael?"

"I would appreciate some assistance; I will need my concentration for other things," Jirael gave a wry smirk. "I can also give your letters a good push, Dew."

The Undertide exhaled in embarrassment. "Right, I almost forgot."

"I can write them," Rodrathym offered quickly. "I don't have much to contribute to this matter anyway. What should I say?"

"Tell them we are under siege, and we need them to return immediately," Dew ordered, but was silently stopped by Jirael, who held up a talon.

"Wait until I come back, so we can tell them exactly who is waiting for them, the numbers, position. It's best to be as specific as possible when informing others on a situation far from them."

Jirael thought for a moment before he continued.

"The channel that leads to the sea needs to be stopped up immediately," he said, looking to Dew. "Most likely that task will fall to you, corporal. Do you already have a system of magic alarms in this mountain?"

"Not yet," the pale corporal shook his head.

"I can begin on those today, if Eredia is willing to assist me." Anhun offered.

Eredia instantly agreed, as Jirael nodded with satisfaction. "Can I ask what function the elusive Veilspun serves? The one that has no name."

"Oh, him. We don't really know." Eredia gave an embarrassed laugh. "He never interacts with any of us, or speaks. Trying to reach him just results in him disappearing."

"Hm. Jadus? What is her role here?"

"She pays to operate out of our mountain," Eredia answered quickly. "As a lender."

Jirael nodded, then looked to Dew. "Do you have any ideas, commanding officer?"

He hesitated, then looked up at the diminutive, pale figure perched on Taniks' head. "I was actually wondering if you can trigger a vision, Whisper. Any foresight would be helpful in this situation."

Whisper shook her tiny head, her mane swaying from side to side.

"I thought so," the Undertide sighed. "Well, if you do have any visions, please inform us immediately, Whisper. You can assist the others, unless you have something to say."

She shook her head again, then bowed to those present before buzzing off.

"Torn, your elemental affinity is arcane. Are you able to use divination?" Dew asked.

"I never took much of an interest in divination. I was mainly interested in theory and conjuration." She gave a hesitant smile. "I was never deployed; due to my... split."

"Split?" Several of the dragons at the dais looked over curiously.

"Torn in Two, that's what I was called after that," one gave a little grin. "It significantly impacted my abilities, so I was discharged."

There was a long pause, before Eredia cleared her throat and turned to Jirael. "I think we've reached the end of our productive discussion. Shall we continue this after you return?"

He nodded. "Torn, would you be able to assist me in hiding as I'm out?"

"It won't be perfect; you can't attack anything without the invisibility lifting," she warned.

"That's fine. I don't intend to give away my presence."

A minute later, the dark scout had vanished, and not even his footsteps could be heard as he swiftly made his way out.

"Well, let's get to work," Eredia said with a strained smile. "We'll reconvene once he makes his report."

Looking for lore?
[center][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/88881336][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/coliseum/portraits/888814/88881336.png[/img][/url][/center] Jirael raised his head, taking a deep breath as he filtered out the myriad of scents. The aroma of GrimRill was strong throughout all of the separate drafts, but he followed the trail that was strongest, up through a small winding path that seemed to hit a dead end. The frigid taste of the winter air lapped gently at his horns, and he tilted his head back. The shaft above him extended up into complete blackness, but it must lead to an exit, since the wind was able to enter. Pushing himself up with a warm column of air, the Sandsurge eventually came to a ledge that ran parallel to a set of large, crumbling stairs carved from the mountain. The shaft he had come from was a hole that exited into the passages of the clan. He made a note to explore the ruined staircase at a later time before continuing down to the hidden exit, following the stairs until he came to a solid wall. A razor-thin hiss of air marked the edge of a pair of hidden doors, and he didn't need to search for more than a moment before finding a switch that still had a glaze of mucous coating it. The doors slid open, and Jirael was grateful to find himself still around a corner, obscured from outside view. Once he stepped out into the snow, the stone doors ground shut once more, sealed so perfectly that they were invisible. Now, to see what the situation was. As the scout came out from the last bend of cliff walls and rose into the air, he gave a grim smile. Harpies were covering the surface of the mountain, with many more circling around the summit and following the sky paths around the nearby peaks as well. And sure enough, he had guessed correctly. Another flock was present, evident by their vivid blue warpaint, a color that the local flock did not have in such abundance. On the ground, rank after rank of longneck soldiers were camped in the valleys and ridges surrounding the mountain, with approximately one warcat for every twoscore. That was a disheartening observation. Once Jirael rose higher, he could see why the raptorik scent had been so faint. They were still in flight, a vast formation approaching rapidly from the north. Several important-looking harpies were already breaking away to meet them, along with their guard. He took his time counting, noting down a mental number for each faction before he followed his instincts to examine the sea. His suspicions were correct, as he could see the water below the surface teeming with scales. Past experience told him Maren could be estimated up to four times the number of those visible from the surface, so he again formed his best estimate before rounding back and slowly surveying the surrounding territory, memorizing a map of all the positions occupied by the enemy. Dragons were not easy to defeat by the smaller species, but they had brought overwhelming numbers. If they were to rush the mountain, they would win in less than two days. Jirael calmly finished, confirming that they had not located any of the hidden entrances to the mountain, including the cave beneath the waterfall entrance, before he returned the same way he had come. "How many are there?" Eredia asked softly once the council had gathered once more. "I'd say four hundred to five hundred for every one of us. More are on the way as well, I'd say you could assume upwards of six hundred to one with the raptorik arrivals." The Sandsurge sat back on his haunches calmly, his face passive in the midst of the others, who looked on with terror, or grim acceptance. "That's including the young ones?" Rodrathym asked, his face bleak. "Yes. If it were for those of us who can fight, it would be upwards of five thousand to one." The cook murmured something in disbelief under his breath as he touched his forehead instinctively. Sabori stepped forward, consulting a timepiece at her side. "We have ten minutes left before two hours have passed. How likely is it that they begin attacking immediately?" "Very likely. If they are timid, they might wait until tomorrow, or nightfall, but it is ideal now. Once the raptorik army lands, they should assault the mountain within an hour." Jirael looked toward the main gate. "We should magically secure both the gates, is that possible?" "We can handle one," Torn offered. "Anhun, would you and Eredia be able to handle the other?" The Imperials nodded. "The entrance to the Training Hall has been closed, Dew?" Jirael asked. "I filled it entirely with ice." the Undertide nodded. "I would prefer to collapse it, but we may not have enough time. Is there-" Suddenly the sounds of roaring began echoing through the hall, and a horrifying shrieking, keening sound that sent tremors through all those listening. The eager shouts of Maren, and the crashing of waves and water began to grow louder and louder. "Anhun, Eredia and Mystery remain here with Lustre," Jirael ordered instantly, rising to his feet. "Tumult, accompany Torn to the north gate. Taniks, Dew, come with me please. We need to drive the Maren back first." Every dragon in the hall had wide eyes as Jirael turned to the umber-colored Imperial. "Rodrathym, I take it you finished the letters?" "Yes," he passed them forward anxiously, as though they were two coals. "Torn, make these invisible, please." The Aberration quickly murmured over the two envelopes, then they vanished in her claws as she sent them off. "Make as many as you can, Rodrathym, in the time you have. We'll need to send these out periodically, in case one is damaged or lost along the way," the Sandsurge pressed his forehead to his mate's, then pulled away and began running for the Training Hall. "I just have one order for all of you; stay alive, whatever it takes!"
88881336.png

Jirael raised his head, taking a deep breath as he filtered out the myriad of scents. The aroma of GrimRill was strong throughout all of the separate drafts, but he followed the trail that was strongest, up through a small winding path that seemed to hit a dead end.

The frigid taste of the winter air lapped gently at his horns, and he tilted his head back. The shaft above him extended up into complete blackness, but it must lead to an exit, since the wind was able to enter.

Pushing himself up with a warm column of air, the Sandsurge eventually came to a ledge that ran parallel to a set of large, crumbling stairs carved from the mountain. The shaft he had come from was a hole that exited into the passages of the clan.

He made a note to explore the ruined staircase at a later time before continuing down to the hidden exit, following the stairs until he came to a solid wall. A razor-thin hiss of air marked the edge of a pair of hidden doors, and he didn't need to search for more than a moment before finding a switch that still had a glaze of mucous coating it.

The doors slid open, and Jirael was grateful to find himself still around a corner, obscured from outside view. Once he stepped out into the snow, the stone doors ground shut once more, sealed so perfectly that they were invisible.

Now, to see what the situation was.

As the scout came out from the last bend of cliff walls and rose into the air, he gave a grim smile. Harpies were covering the surface of the mountain, with many more circling around the summit and following the sky paths around the nearby peaks as well. And sure enough, he had guessed correctly. Another flock was present, evident by their vivid blue warpaint, a color that the local flock did not have in such abundance.

On the ground, rank after rank of longneck soldiers were camped in the valleys and ridges surrounding the mountain, with approximately one warcat for every twoscore. That was a disheartening observation.

Once Jirael rose higher, he could see why the raptorik scent had been so faint. They were still in flight, a vast formation approaching rapidly from the north. Several important-looking harpies were already breaking away to meet them, along with their guard.

He took his time counting, noting down a mental number for each faction before he followed his instincts to examine the sea. His suspicions were correct, as he could see the water below the surface teeming with scales. Past experience told him Maren could be estimated up to four times the number of those visible from the surface, so he again formed his best estimate before rounding back and slowly surveying the surrounding territory, memorizing a map of all the positions occupied by the enemy.

Dragons were not easy to defeat by the smaller species, but they had brought overwhelming numbers. If they were to rush the mountain, they would win in less than two days.

Jirael calmly finished, confirming that they had not located any of the hidden entrances to the mountain, including the cave beneath the waterfall entrance, before he returned the same way he had come.

"How many are there?" Eredia asked softly once the council had gathered once more.

"I'd say four hundred to five hundred for every one of us. More are on the way as well, I'd say you could assume upwards of six hundred to one with the raptorik arrivals." The Sandsurge sat back on his haunches calmly, his face passive in the midst of the others, who looked on with terror, or grim acceptance.

"That's including the young ones?" Rodrathym asked, his face bleak.

"Yes. If it were for those of us who can fight, it would be upwards of five thousand to one."

The cook murmured something in disbelief under his breath as he touched his forehead instinctively.

Sabori stepped forward, consulting a timepiece at her side. "We have ten minutes left before two hours have passed. How likely is it that they begin attacking immediately?"

"Very likely. If they are timid, they might wait until tomorrow, or nightfall, but it is ideal now. Once the raptorik army lands, they should assault the mountain within an hour." Jirael looked toward the main gate. "We should magically secure both the gates, is that possible?"

"We can handle one," Torn offered. "Anhun, would you and Eredia be able to handle the other?"

The Imperials nodded.

"The entrance to the Training Hall has been closed, Dew?" Jirael asked.

"I filled it entirely with ice." the Undertide nodded.

"I would prefer to collapse it, but we may not have enough time. Is there-"

Suddenly the sounds of roaring began echoing through the hall, and a horrifying shrieking, keening sound that sent tremors through all those listening. The eager shouts of Maren, and the crashing of waves and water began to grow louder and louder.

"Anhun, Eredia and Mystery remain here with Lustre," Jirael ordered instantly, rising to his feet. "Tumult, accompany Torn to the north gate. Taniks, Dew, come with me please. We need to drive the Maren back first."

Every dragon in the hall had wide eyes as Jirael turned to the umber-colored Imperial. "Rodrathym, I take it you finished the letters?"

"Yes," he passed them forward anxiously, as though they were two coals.

"Torn, make these invisible, please."

The Aberration quickly murmured over the two envelopes, then they vanished in her claws as she sent them off.

"Make as many as you can, Rodrathym, in the time you have. We'll need to send these out periodically, in case one is damaged or lost along the way," the Sandsurge pressed his forehead to his mate's, then pulled away and began running for the Training Hall.

"I just have one order for all of you; stay alive, whatever it takes!"

Looking for lore?
[center][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/54331617][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/coliseum/portraits/543317/54331617.png[/img][/url][/center] Ker snapped forward, the eldritch tendrils hungrily strangling several of the trident-wielding males, devouring their weapons and what it could of their flesh before a blast of raw water sent it shrieking back. The Gaoler kept his mouth ajar, allowing the abomination inside him free access to the Maren front line while he lashed out with his claws, wings and tail. He was slowly being driven back, toward the wall, when suddenly he was joined by several others. "Dew, Taniks, I want you to freeze as much of the water as you can! Don't give them anything to use!" Jirael shouted as he abruptly changed the air pressure, granting him a moment of pause as the Maren clutched their ears in agony. The Sandsurge managed to sweep the front ranks backwards in the Training Hall with wind, then lunged forward beside Ker and fought viciously to drive them further back. Between the four, they began to gradually make progress, although the mages near the mouth of the channel were still sending more and more water upwards to maintain the maneuverability of their troops, who were waist-deep in water, even in the upper level. Ker broke a spear with his teeth, then suddenly a gap in the ranks revealed a terrible sight. Emerging from the shadows near the mouth of the channel were several Maren with dark skin and pale hair, their hairline hidden behind headpieces adorned with red gemstones. They were accompanied by females with red skin and green hair, their hair parted by a pair of protrusions that resembled small antlers. They had mere seconds to stop them. "The mages in red!" Ker roared, desperately attempting to push through the lines without success. "Freeze them!" A wall of water suddenly rushed upwards between the dragons and their targets, and Dew's beam of ice froze the outside surface, uselessly creating a thin window that fell into the pool and was immediately melted by the warmer temperatures the Maren were no doubt maintaining. Taniks was not able to stop them either, his icy breath equally useless once the rest of the water was pulled up to surround the warlocks and wavespinners from all sides. In an instant, the situation changed. All four dragons felt a wave of nausea wash over them, their eyes watering as their throats burned. Taniks staggered badly, but remained on his feet, deflecting the onslaught of blows as he was quickly overwhelmed by the Maren eagerly exploiting his poor reaction to the disease. Dew was noticeably slower, but he remained by his fellow soldier, freezing and snapping at those that he could while Taniks lashed out with claws and tail. Ker remained unaffected, while Jirael winced, but seemed to resist the effect. "CENUE!" He bellowed before his head and chest were simultaneously hit with a battering ram of water, sending him crashing back against the wall. [rule] [center][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/89165435][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/coliseum/portraits/891655/89165435.png[/img][/url][/center] Everyone in the Great Hall heard Jirael's call, and his mate immediately bolted to her feet. He wouldn't be calling for her to join him; he was too protective for that. That meant- She gasped in horror, leaping toward the small cluster of young dragons. "Whisper, bring Eon here!" she shouted, pulling Mayel and Baning's heads closer, within two meters of her. "All of you must stay near me, understand?" Whisper barely made it within the invisible boundary with her daughter when the miasma hit them. Cenue felt her lungs briefly stutter at the shock before they recovered, though the smaller dragons were not so fortunate. Eon, Weiss, Council and Lightouch fared the best, their affinity toward ice allowing them to resist the toxins far better than their friends. They still were unable to speak, curled up on the floor as they closed their eyes and stiffened. Dart was reduced to a wide-eyed, gasping figure on the floor, while Kutzul and Mayel became unresponsive, their eyes glazed over as their breathing became so soft it was difficult to detect. No one spoke, Cenue devoting her entire focus toward maintaining their lives. She knew if she was distracted for even a moment, half of them would perish from the sickness, if not the others as well. Rodrathym watched on with horror as Eredia and Anhun finished their invisible wall of force, both perching near the entrance as the sounds of roaring and smashing began to echo throughout the hall. A large crack began to separate the gate into pieces, and the brown Imperial was stunned in place, unable to move as he watched both the group of fledglings struggling to breathe, Cenue, immobilized beside them, and the other two Imperials, their eyes filled with a terrible hopelessness as they waited with Mystery and Lustre. Taking the letters he had finished, Rodrathym fled back into the upper corridor, where the Imperials were quartered. A terrible feeling was consuming him, and he was afraid to be near the others. The door to Eredia's study was open, and he could see the light from the stained glass window blotted out by the silhouettes of harpies as arrows and iron bullets pelted the glass like hail. The muffled whirling of slings and the constant thrum of bowstrings began to overtake everything, and he felt the paper slip from his hands onto the floor as suddenly, everything went dark. [rule] [center][center][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/54331617][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/coliseum/portraits/543317/54331617.png[/img][/url][/center][/center] Ker opened his mouth wider, devouring one, then three, then six warriors as he brutalized his way over to the pair of ice dragons. "I need to get behind their lines. Call for reinforcements!" he shouted to Dew who was still somewhat dazed. The Undertide said nothing for several seconds, so Ker repeated himself. "CALL FOR REINFORCEMENTS!" Dew looked over, his eyes wide as he nodded, then retreated slightly. "LUSTRE! WE NEED-" A javelin cut him off, plunging into the shoulders of his wings as he gasped, casting around in alarm. His guard down, several other javelins immediately found purchase on his body, downing him as Taniks stooped and began dragging his body back. Ker noticed the warriors coming out from the waterway now had different weapons, ones that stank of magic. A second swarm of javelins rained down among them, several embedding themselves in the Gaoler's back as he felt his vision swimming in rage. If they didn't act soon, he wouldn't be able to stop the infection that was becoming more and more dire by the second. A roar with a resounding echo shook the stone floor as Lustre charged in, her blinding lightning crackling and hissing through the air, dropping Maren by the tens as she smashed her way through the lines. It wasn't long before she had forced them back into the pool, although she found it difficult to drive them further, as the plague aligned mages focused on her in tandem with the warriors who were fighting desperately to bring her down. "Ker!" The Gaoler turned back to see Sabori running toward him with several large flasks in her mouth. The moment she was close enough she stopped, passing them over quickly, but carefully. "Break these in the water." He didn't waste any time, leaping down from the balcony and rushing toward the water. Taking them in his wings, he threw them as hard as he could toward the stone columns near the deeper water, only to curse as a wave sprang up, ready to intercept their path. From the other side of the room, the dark Sandsurge heard Ker's furious exclamation, and instantly saw the course destined for the two flasks. A score of Maren warriors took the opportunity to encircle him, slashing into his hide with enhanced claws as he reared back, ignoring the pain as he calculated the distance and speed of the projectiles. Jirael flared his sails desperately, and all the occupants were thrown back as a gust of wind drove the flasks backward into a different stone, smashing into it with such force that the glass splintered into a thousand tiny shards. A pale powder dropped in clumps into the water, bleeding into it like smoke before it disappeared. Their mages gestured desperately, but the powder dissolved nearly instantly in the warm water, and they began crying out in agony as the seawater became so acidic their scales began melting and peeling away from their bodies. A minute later, they had all retreated back into the sea. Ker staggered, then fell heavily, glancing back at the number of weapons still sticking out of his back. Jirael and Lustre immediately rushed to his side, examining his wounds. "We need to get him to Cenue," Lustre said as she swept him up with her wings. "I don't think she'll be able to heal him," Jirael said with a grim expression. "Why not?" "She'll be protecting the little ones," he answered, lifting them all with an updraft. "But we should still move him, I agree." As the three retreated to the Great Hall, they found Dew, unresponsive but breathing on the floor as Taniks was frantically shouting at Eredia. Every booming blow to the gates reverberated through the floor, and was met with increasingly terrified screams from the members crouched anxiously along the sides of the hall. "Taniks! Eredia is preoccupied with something. Dew is still breathing, make him as comfortable as you can in the meantime!" Jirael ordered, turning to scan the room. "Where is Faust?!" "Here," the Gaoler quickly dashed forward, dipping his head once he was before the Sandsurge. "You mentioned that you can control the properties of dissolved substances in water," Jirael looked back over his shoulder. "There is acid in the water in the Training Hall. Do not let it disperse into the sea. Maintain its concentration in the pools. Do you understand?" "Yes." "Good, now go." Faust didn't wait, bounding off as Jirael winced. Something had just pushed past the muscles in his shoulder; most likely a spearpoint. "Any word from the other gate, Mystery?" He asked, forcing himself to straighten up. "No, sir. Should I go and take a look?" the Aberration asked with wide eyes. "Stay here, if they breach these gates, there are more members to guard here." Jirael tested his leg, gritting his teeth as he settled on it unevenly. "I'll go take a quick look." "Yes, sir!"
54331617.png

Ker snapped forward, the eldritch tendrils hungrily strangling several of the trident-wielding males, devouring their weapons and what it could of their flesh before a blast of raw water sent it shrieking back. The Gaoler kept his mouth ajar, allowing the abomination inside him free access to the Maren front line while he lashed out with his claws, wings and tail.

He was slowly being driven back, toward the wall, when suddenly he was joined by several others.

"Dew, Taniks, I want you to freeze as much of the water as you can! Don't give them anything to use!" Jirael shouted as he abruptly changed the air pressure, granting him a moment of pause as the Maren clutched their ears in agony. The Sandsurge managed to sweep the front ranks backwards in the Training Hall with wind, then lunged forward beside Ker and fought viciously to drive them further back.

Between the four, they began to gradually make progress, although the mages near the mouth of the channel were still sending more and more water upwards to maintain the maneuverability of their troops, who were waist-deep in water, even in the upper level.

Ker broke a spear with his teeth, then suddenly a gap in the ranks revealed a terrible sight. Emerging from the shadows near the mouth of the channel were several Maren with dark skin and pale hair, their hairline hidden behind headpieces adorned with red gemstones. They were accompanied by females with red skin and green hair, their hair parted by a pair of protrusions that resembled small antlers.

They had mere seconds to stop them.

"The mages in red!" Ker roared, desperately attempting to push through the lines without success. "Freeze them!"

A wall of water suddenly rushed upwards between the dragons and their targets, and Dew's beam of ice froze the outside surface, uselessly creating a thin window that fell into the pool and was immediately melted by the warmer temperatures the Maren were no doubt maintaining. Taniks was not able to stop them either, his icy breath equally useless once the rest of the water was pulled up to surround the warlocks and wavespinners from all sides.

In an instant, the situation changed. All four dragons felt a wave of nausea wash over them, their eyes watering as their throats burned. Taniks staggered badly, but remained on his feet, deflecting the onslaught of blows as he was quickly overwhelmed by the Maren eagerly exploiting his poor reaction to the disease. Dew was noticeably slower, but he remained by his fellow soldier, freezing and snapping at those that he could while Taniks lashed out with claws and tail.

Ker remained unaffected, while Jirael winced, but seemed to resist the effect.

"CENUE!" He bellowed before his head and chest were simultaneously hit with a battering ram of water, sending him crashing back against the wall.

89165435.png

Everyone in the Great Hall heard Jirael's call, and his mate immediately bolted to her feet. He wouldn't be calling for her to join him; he was too protective for that. That meant-

She gasped in horror, leaping toward the small cluster of young dragons. "Whisper, bring Eon here!" she shouted, pulling Mayel and Baning's heads closer, within two meters of her. "All of you must stay near me, understand?"

Whisper barely made it within the invisible boundary with her daughter when the miasma hit them. Cenue felt her lungs briefly stutter at the shock before they recovered, though the smaller dragons were not so fortunate.

Eon, Weiss, Council and Lightouch fared the best, their affinity toward ice allowing them to resist the toxins far better than their friends. They still were unable to speak, curled up on the floor as they closed their eyes and stiffened. Dart was reduced to a wide-eyed, gasping figure on the floor, while Kutzul and Mayel became unresponsive, their eyes glazed over as their breathing became so soft it was difficult to detect.

No one spoke, Cenue devoting her entire focus toward maintaining their lives. She knew if she was distracted for even a moment, half of them would perish from the sickness, if not the others as well.

Rodrathym watched on with horror as Eredia and Anhun finished their invisible wall of force, both perching near the entrance as the sounds of roaring and smashing began to echo throughout the hall.

A large crack began to separate the gate into pieces, and the brown Imperial was stunned in place, unable to move as he watched both the group of fledglings struggling to breathe, Cenue, immobilized beside them, and the other two Imperials, their eyes filled with a terrible hopelessness as they waited with Mystery and Lustre.

Taking the letters he had finished, Rodrathym fled back into the upper corridor, where the Imperials were quartered. A terrible feeling was consuming him, and he was afraid to be near the others.

The door to Eredia's study was open, and he could see the light from the stained glass window blotted out by the silhouettes of harpies as arrows and iron bullets pelted the glass like hail. The muffled whirling of slings and the constant thrum of bowstrings began to overtake everything, and he felt the paper slip from his hands onto the floor as suddenly, everything went dark.

54331617.png

Ker opened his mouth wider, devouring one, then three, then six warriors as he brutalized his way over to the pair of ice dragons.

"I need to get behind their lines. Call for reinforcements!" he shouted to Dew who was still somewhat dazed. The Undertide said nothing for several seconds, so Ker repeated himself. "CALL FOR REINFORCEMENTS!"

Dew looked over, his eyes wide as he nodded, then retreated slightly. "LUSTRE! WE NEED-"

A javelin cut him off, plunging into the shoulders of his wings as he gasped, casting around in alarm. His guard down, several other javelins immediately found purchase on his body, downing him as Taniks stooped and began dragging his body back.

Ker noticed the warriors coming out from the waterway now had different weapons, ones that stank of magic. A second swarm of javelins rained down among them, several embedding themselves in the Gaoler's back as he felt his vision swimming in rage. If they didn't act soon, he wouldn't be able to stop the infection that was becoming more and more dire by the second.

A roar with a resounding echo shook the stone floor as Lustre charged in, her blinding lightning crackling and hissing through the air, dropping Maren by the tens as she smashed her way through the lines. It wasn't long before she had forced them back into the pool, although she found it difficult to drive them further, as the plague aligned mages focused on her in tandem with the warriors who were fighting desperately to bring her down.

"Ker!"

The Gaoler turned back to see Sabori running toward him with several large flasks in her mouth. The moment she was close enough she stopped, passing them over quickly, but carefully.

"Break these in the water."

He didn't waste any time, leaping down from the balcony and rushing toward the water. Taking them in his wings, he threw them as hard as he could toward the stone columns near the deeper water, only to curse as a wave sprang up, ready to intercept their path.

From the other side of the room, the dark Sandsurge heard Ker's furious exclamation, and instantly saw the course destined for the two flasks. A score of Maren warriors took the opportunity to encircle him, slashing into his hide with enhanced claws as he reared back, ignoring the pain as he calculated the distance and speed of the projectiles.

Jirael flared his sails desperately, and all the occupants were thrown back as a gust of wind drove the flasks backward into a different stone, smashing into it with such force that the glass splintered into a thousand tiny shards. A pale powder dropped in clumps into the water, bleeding into it like smoke before it disappeared.

Their mages gestured desperately, but the powder dissolved nearly instantly in the warm water, and they began crying out in agony as the seawater became so acidic their scales began melting and peeling away from their bodies. A minute later, they had all retreated back into the sea.

Ker staggered, then fell heavily, glancing back at the number of weapons still sticking out of his back. Jirael and Lustre immediately rushed to his side, examining his wounds.

"We need to get him to Cenue," Lustre said as she swept him up with her wings.

"I don't think she'll be able to heal him," Jirael said with a grim expression.

"Why not?"

"She'll be protecting the little ones," he answered, lifting them all with an updraft. "But we should still move him, I agree."

As the three retreated to the Great Hall, they found Dew, unresponsive but breathing on the floor as Taniks was frantically shouting at Eredia. Every booming blow to the gates reverberated through the floor, and was met with increasingly terrified screams from the members crouched anxiously along the sides of the hall.

"Taniks! Eredia is preoccupied with something. Dew is still breathing, make him as comfortable as you can in the meantime!" Jirael ordered, turning to scan the room. "Where is Faust?!"

"Here," the Gaoler quickly dashed forward, dipping his head once he was before the Sandsurge.

"You mentioned that you can control the properties of dissolved substances in water," Jirael looked back over his shoulder. "There is acid in the water in the Training Hall. Do not let it disperse into the sea. Maintain its concentration in the pools. Do you understand?"

"Yes."

"Good, now go."

Faust didn't wait, bounding off as Jirael winced. Something had just pushed past the muscles in his shoulder; most likely a spearpoint.

"Any word from the other gate, Mystery?" He asked, forcing himself to straighten up.

"No, sir. Should I go and take a look?" the Aberration asked with wide eyes.

"Stay here, if they breach these gates, there are more members to guard here." Jirael tested his leg, gritting his teeth as he settled on it unevenly. "I'll go take a quick look."

"Yes, sir!"

Looking for lore?
1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 22 23