Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | [Lore] The Winter of Solitude
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 22 23
"Hm, well, let's see what your book says about that," Rill leaned back over, nodding to himself as he mumbled. "Huh, 'in some cases it's best to ask for the advice of the other party's mother when resolving a disagreement'? Interesting. Maybe we'll have to stop by and see her when we visit, hey, Grim?"

His partner didn't make any signal he had heard him, other than an annoyed twitch at the corner of his mouth.
"Hm, well, let's see what your book says about that," Rill leaned back over, nodding to himself as he mumbled. "Huh, 'in some cases it's best to ask for the advice of the other party's mother when resolving a disagreement'? Interesting. Maybe we'll have to stop by and see her when we visit, hey, Grim?"

His partner didn't make any signal he had heard him, other than an annoyed twitch at the corner of his mouth.

Looking for lore?
My clan has an ongoing story that you can read!
The usually once defensive Radinen was no longer as he was when Treya was the only ruler. He simply continued to read the page which consisted of spells.
“Go ahead. Hopefully you’ll get good fortune this time compared to the last one.” Icy fog still leaves his mouth as he speaks. “Maybe power will land right into your hands. Who knows. Doubtful you'll be able to keep hold, though.”
The usually once defensive Radinen was no longer as he was when Treya was the only ruler. He simply continued to read the page which consisted of spells.
“Go ahead. Hopefully you’ll get good fortune this time compared to the last one.” Icy fog still leaves his mouth as he speaks. “Maybe power will land right into your hands. Who knows. Doubtful you'll be able to keep hold, though.”
fBPJ3kI.png
"Well, this would just be so we can be best friends with Treya again. I don't think your mom is that great at what she does, no offense," Rill smirked as he moved off. "Seeya, Radinen. Don't stay up all night from excitement; I know you used to do that when you were younger."
"Well, this would just be so we can be best friends with Treya again. I don't think your mom is that great at what she does, no offense," Rill smirked as he moved off. "Seeya, Radinen. Don't stay up all night from excitement; I know you used to do that when you were younger."

Looking for lore?
“Don’t let the bedbugs bite either GrimRill. I know those used to bother you when you slept.” Radinen continued to read his book in silence as his face relaxed, still more annoyed at Rill for bothering his reading than trying to get under his skin.
“Don’t let the bedbugs bite either GrimRill. I know those used to bother you when you slept.” Radinen continued to read his book in silence as his face relaxed, still more annoyed at Rill for bothering his reading than trying to get under his skin.
fBPJ3kI.png
[center][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/40155445][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/coliseum/portraits/401555/40155445.png[/img][/url][/center] Several hours passed as the clan rose. With Eredia's return the atmosphere returned to a brighter color, and the young dragons decided to have a change of pace by filling up the water in the Training Hall with their antics. Many of the adults who were not busy came to watch, enjoying the energy in spite of the deafening noise. Hilgeth noticed Eredia finishing the last of her tea, and slowly came to sit beside her friend as they watched Weiss explain the rules of water jousting to her peers. None of whom were listening. "They're all getting so big..." the Imperial said with a smile. "I wonder what sort of adults they'll grow into." Hilgeth hummed in agreement, her tail swaying back and forth as she watched Nelan splashing around near several large ice floes that Whisper had made. "Do you think it's really that easy, Eredia? It seems like... like everyone just can find their charge like that," the darker dragon made a swift motion with the tip of her wing as she sighed. "What have I been doing wrong all this time? Merris found his instantly, and Nelan didn't take much longer. Why is it that nothing I try gives me the same result?" Eredia instantly put aside her drink. "Just because you haven't found anything yet doesn't mean you're doing something wrong. Your charge might not exist yet, or might be constantly moving. There are so many possibilities that would make it difficult... it's already a large enough world." Hilgeth didn't move. "Maybe it's because I never tried it myself." "What do you mean? Of course you did." "I've always had Merris with me, to keep me safe, to give me advice. Maybe... maybe with him, I haven't had the chance to grow enough, to make the mistakes I need to. Maybe I missed out on opportunities because of that." Hilgeth said, giving her friend a guilty look. "Lately I've been wondering if I should go out on my own, just to search by myself." Eredia paused. "But Merris is your guardian, wouldn't he just find you if that were the case?" Hilgeth shrugged. "He said himself he doesn't have that sixth sense, or hasn't honed it, since we were always together. I don't know." Her friend stopped, lowering her voice. "Are you actually considering this, Hilgeth, or are you just talking through what's on your mind?" Eredia's expression was so serious that Hilgeth instinctively made a smile to ease the tension. "I'm just speculating." "Okay. If you weren't, if you were serious, would you tell me? If you decide to leave, would you let me know beforehand?" the Imperial pressed. "I don't... I don't want to just find you gone one morning without warning." The Clanmother hesitated for a brief moment before she smiled again. "Of course I would; I couldn't just leave like that." Eredia wasn't convinced. "You promise?" Hilgeth didn't pause this time. "I promise you, I'll tell you." Her friend breathed out, finally smiling. "Okay. I think if you were to discuss this with Merris, you could find a compromise. You're old enough to take care of yourself; I don't think you need him always watching over you anymore." Hilgeth gave a brief, forced smile. "I can try, but I don't think he sees it the same way you do, Eredia." "Hilgeth!" Tux suddenly appeared from one of the nearby doorways, his fur covered in dirt as he shouted to be heard over the din. "Adagio wants to see you. We cleared out our first chamber." "I'll come right away," she said, eagerly following as he began leading the way. "What exactly is in this chamber?" Eredia said nothing as they left, knowing that Hilgeth had just taken the easy way out of the uncomfortable conversation. The fact that she hadn't asked her friend to accompany her was proof the Guardian didn't want to speak about it any longer. Then again, Eredia had plenty to do, anyway. She would just have to bring this up again at a later date.
40155445.png

Several hours passed as the clan rose. With Eredia's return the atmosphere returned to a brighter color, and the young dragons decided to have a change of pace by filling up the water in the Training Hall with their antics. Many of the adults who were not busy came to watch, enjoying the energy in spite of the deafening noise.

Hilgeth noticed Eredia finishing the last of her tea, and slowly came to sit beside her friend as they watched Weiss explain the rules of water jousting to her peers. None of whom were listening.

"They're all getting so big..." the Imperial said with a smile. "I wonder what sort of adults they'll grow into."

Hilgeth hummed in agreement, her tail swaying back and forth as she watched Nelan splashing around near several large ice floes that Whisper had made.

"Do you think it's really that easy, Eredia? It seems like... like everyone just can find their charge like that," the darker dragon made a swift motion with the tip of her wing as she sighed. "What have I been doing wrong all this time? Merris found his instantly, and Nelan didn't take much longer. Why is it that nothing I try gives me the same result?"

Eredia instantly put aside her drink. "Just because you haven't found anything yet doesn't mean you're doing something wrong. Your charge might not exist yet, or might be constantly moving. There are so many possibilities that would make it difficult... it's already a large enough world."

Hilgeth didn't move. "Maybe it's because I never tried it myself."

"What do you mean? Of course you did."

"I've always had Merris with me, to keep me safe, to give me advice. Maybe... maybe with him, I haven't had the chance to grow enough, to make the mistakes I need to. Maybe I missed out on opportunities because of that." Hilgeth said, giving her friend a guilty look. "Lately I've been wondering if I should go out on my own, just to search by myself."

Eredia paused. "But Merris is your guardian, wouldn't he just find you if that were the case?"

Hilgeth shrugged. "He said himself he doesn't have that sixth sense, or hasn't honed it, since we were always together. I don't know."

Her friend stopped, lowering her voice. "Are you actually considering this, Hilgeth, or are you just talking through what's on your mind?"

Eredia's expression was so serious that Hilgeth instinctively made a smile to ease the tension. "I'm just speculating."

"Okay. If you weren't, if you were serious, would you tell me? If you decide to leave, would you let me know beforehand?" the Imperial pressed. "I don't... I don't want to just find you gone one morning without warning."

The Clanmother hesitated for a brief moment before she smiled again. "Of course I would; I couldn't just leave like that."

Eredia wasn't convinced. "You promise?"

Hilgeth didn't pause this time. "I promise you, I'll tell you."

Her friend breathed out, finally smiling. "Okay. I think if you were to discuss this with Merris, you could find a compromise. You're old enough to take care of yourself; I don't think you need him always watching over you anymore."

Hilgeth gave a brief, forced smile. "I can try, but I don't think he sees it the same way you do, Eredia."

"Hilgeth!"

Tux suddenly appeared from one of the nearby doorways, his fur covered in dirt as he shouted to be heard over the din. "Adagio wants to see you. We cleared out our first chamber."

"I'll come right away," she said, eagerly following as he began leading the way. "What exactly is in this chamber?"

Eredia said nothing as they left, knowing that Hilgeth had just taken the easy way out of the uncomfortable conversation. The fact that she hadn't asked her friend to accompany her was proof the Guardian didn't want to speak about it any longer.

Then again, Eredia had plenty to do, anyway. She would just have to bring this up again at a later date.

Looking for lore?
[center][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/87926667][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/coliseum/portraits/879267/87926667.png[/img][/url][/center] Once the pair had entered the ruins and ascended to the next level, the Aether stopped flying, walking on the ground as he turned back to Hilgeth, who had to hunch over in order to fit down the hallway. "Now, please ensure that you don't make any sudden movements," Tux warned as they nodded to Ker and Taniks, who were both crouched at the tall entrance, his voice lowering to a hush. "We had some problems initially with the um, guardians." "Guardians?" she asked in astonishment, then gave an apologetic gasp as she switched to a whisper. "I'm sorry." He just nodded. "They appear to be huge bipedal figures with weapons. They can cast magic, and if you try to fly, they'll attack you instantly. So don't leave the floor. Please just follow me, and I'll show you around. They don't show hostility by default." She nodded, curious as to what such creatures were protecting as they quietly entered the room. Adagio was up on a ladder connected to the wall, but when he heard their footsteps, he instantly descended back to the floor and waited in the middle of the room. "This seems to be an archive," he breathed, gesturing to the countless walls that made up a circle out of parallel faces, like an octagon, but with significantly more than eight sides. "Where are the books then?" Hilgeth frowned. "I'll show you," he smirked, stealing across the floor as three massive figures loomed above, their multitudes of eyes individually tracking a specific dragon. Tux seemed to deliberately avoid looking at them, and Hilgeth suddenly noticed that a section of fur near his hind leg was missing. "Did they hit you, Tux?" she asked softly. "Grazed," he gave a nervous laugh. "Luckily." "If they're stone, why didn't you just stop them?" "They're not stone," he shook his head. "They're something else." Hilgeth frowned again, but didn't have time to ponder the information before Adagio climbed back up, squinting as he regarded his options. "There are many small marked tiles in the wall," he whispered, pressing one and watching as all the walls lit up with runes, filling nearly half the chamber with soft yellow light. "I'll show you a different one, to compare." He pushed another button, and this time the room filled completely, including the domed ceiling, and the floor. Even the guardians were engraved with information. Hilgeth bent for a closer look. "This isn't our script." "No." Adagio gave an embarrassed smile. "We should ask the clan if anyone has an interest in this; we might find ourselves lucky with an amateur linguist or historian." "Can you pass through this chamber?" she asked, noticing the door on the opposite side. "No, moving past that point," he pointed to a spot on the floor nearby. "Activates them." "Can you go around, through the walls?" "Possibly, but we need to be careful. Ker and Faust have said this area is practically overflowing with bits of the Shade, and if we were to move through that-" he made a tight-lipped smile. "I see." The Clanmother looked up for a moment as she thought. "Well, until we can bring in someone to read this, let's continue opening up other areas. These guardians don't wander, do they?" "We haven't seen them do so," Adagio shook his head. "But they did move into the hallway while pursuing us before, so I don't think they're bound to this room. They did return to it after we fled far enough." "Let's continue this outside, then," she said as she walked slowly to the doorway, eager to leave behind the unblinking armies of eyes. "Good work, both of you." Once they were back on the landing, Hilgeth looked to Taniks and Ker. "I'll inform GrimRill of this, until then, please continue standing watch. I don't want any of our young members entering this area for any reason until I determine it is safe to do so. If any do so, notify me or Phantom immediately." The four dragons nodded. "By this area, you mean beyond the tunnel that leads to the elevator room?" Adagio asked. "Yes. I don't want anyone getting lost or worse in these ruins. This is all to be done during the day, as well, from now on. I don't want any work being done past suppertime." It was completely quiet, but knowing that they weren't entirely alone unsettled her. Hilgeth shuddered slightly as she prepared to return to the Clanhold. "Thank you for showing me around, but I should be getting back. Thank you for all your hard work so far." The Guardian didn't hesitate after they accepted her thanks, and began walking immediately. What secret was inside this mountain, and who had left all this behind? "I suppose this is why you don't occupy an existing lair," she said to herself with a forced laugh. Perhaps this would yield something for her, but the voice in her head told her that was wishful thinking, and it would more likely be something that she didn't want. But she couldn't just leave it all there unexplored either. "Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst," she sighed, picking up her feet as she began trotting out onto the warmer stone paths. At least if anything happened, Nelan would be somewhere else.
87926667.png

Once the pair had entered the ruins and ascended to the next level, the Aether stopped flying, walking on the ground as he turned back to Hilgeth, who had to hunch over in order to fit down the hallway.

"Now, please ensure that you don't make any sudden movements," Tux warned as they nodded to Ker and Taniks, who were both crouched at the tall entrance, his voice lowering to a hush. "We had some problems initially with the um, guardians."

"Guardians?" she asked in astonishment, then gave an apologetic gasp as she switched to a whisper. "I'm sorry."

He just nodded. "They appear to be huge bipedal figures with weapons. They can cast magic, and if you try to fly, they'll attack you instantly. So don't leave the floor. Please just follow me, and I'll show you around. They don't show hostility by default."

She nodded, curious as to what such creatures were protecting as they quietly entered the room.

Adagio was up on a ladder connected to the wall, but when he heard their footsteps, he instantly descended back to the floor and waited in the middle of the room.

"This seems to be an archive," he breathed, gesturing to the countless walls that made up a circle out of parallel faces, like an octagon, but with significantly more than eight sides.

"Where are the books then?" Hilgeth frowned.

"I'll show you," he smirked, stealing across the floor as three massive figures loomed above, their multitudes of eyes individually tracking a specific dragon. Tux seemed to deliberately avoid looking at them, and Hilgeth suddenly noticed that a section of fur near his hind leg was missing.

"Did they hit you, Tux?" she asked softly.

"Grazed," he gave a nervous laugh. "Luckily."

"If they're stone, why didn't you just stop them?"

"They're not stone," he shook his head. "They're something else."

Hilgeth frowned again, but didn't have time to ponder the information before Adagio climbed back up, squinting as he regarded his options.

"There are many small marked tiles in the wall," he whispered, pressing one and watching as all the walls lit up with runes, filling nearly half the chamber with soft yellow light. "I'll show you a different one, to compare."

He pushed another button, and this time the room filled completely, including the domed ceiling, and the floor. Even the guardians were engraved with information.

Hilgeth bent for a closer look. "This isn't our script."

"No." Adagio gave an embarrassed smile. "We should ask the clan if anyone has an interest in this; we might find ourselves lucky with an amateur linguist or historian."

"Can you pass through this chamber?" she asked, noticing the door on the opposite side.

"No, moving past that point," he pointed to a spot on the floor nearby. "Activates them."

"Can you go around, through the walls?"

"Possibly, but we need to be careful. Ker and Faust have said this area is practically overflowing with bits of the Shade, and if we were to move through that-" he made a tight-lipped smile.

"I see." The Clanmother looked up for a moment as she thought. "Well, until we can bring in someone to read this, let's continue opening up other areas. These guardians don't wander, do they?"

"We haven't seen them do so," Adagio shook his head. "But they did move into the hallway while pursuing us before, so I don't think they're bound to this room. They did return to it after we fled far enough."

"Let's continue this outside, then," she said as she walked slowly to the doorway, eager to leave behind the unblinking armies of eyes. "Good work, both of you."

Once they were back on the landing, Hilgeth looked to Taniks and Ker. "I'll inform GrimRill of this, until then, please continue standing watch. I don't want any of our young members entering this area for any reason until I determine it is safe to do so. If any do so, notify me or Phantom immediately."

The four dragons nodded. "By this area, you mean beyond the tunnel that leads to the elevator room?" Adagio asked.

"Yes. I don't want anyone getting lost or worse in these ruins. This is all to be done during the day, as well, from now on. I don't want any work being done past suppertime."

It was completely quiet, but knowing that they weren't entirely alone unsettled her. Hilgeth shuddered slightly as she prepared to return to the Clanhold. "Thank you for showing me around, but I should be getting back. Thank you for all your hard work so far."

The Guardian didn't hesitate after they accepted her thanks, and began walking immediately.

What secret was inside this mountain, and who had left all this behind?

"I suppose this is why you don't occupy an existing lair," she said to herself with a forced laugh. Perhaps this would yield something for her, but the voice in her head told her that was wishful thinking, and it would more likely be something that she didn't want.

But she couldn't just leave it all there unexplored either.

"Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst," she sighed, picking up her feet as she began trotting out onto the warmer stone paths.

At least if anything happened, Nelan would be somewhere else.

Looking for lore?
By the time breakfast concluded, several more members had been drafted to guard the area while Anhun and Eredia worked together to create a series of magical systems for warning and defense.

The rest of the day was fairly uneventful as those who were leaving finished their preparations, and once the curfew was in place, GrimRill slipped back into the water of the Training Hall for the final time.
By the time breakfast concluded, several more members had been drafted to guard the area while Anhun and Eredia worked together to create a series of magical systems for warning and defense.

The rest of the day was fairly uneventful as those who were leaving finished their preparations, and once the curfew was in place, GrimRill slipped back into the water of the Training Hall for the final time.

Looking for lore?
Treya's invisibility wore off as she now wandered the halls without a Nelan in sight. She dismissed the Guardian as she herself was on a bit of a search for GrimRill.

After making sure no one was on her tail, she slipped into the Training Hall to see if her target was there and sure enough she saw his shadow in the water. Carefully approaching the pool, she rolled her pearl off the edge into the water and sunk to the small pocket of air at the bottom of the water.
Treya's invisibility wore off as she now wandered the halls without a Nelan in sight. She dismissed the Guardian as she herself was on a bit of a search for GrimRill.

After making sure no one was on her tail, she slipped into the Training Hall to see if her target was there and sure enough she saw his shadow in the water. Carefully approaching the pool, she rolled her pearl off the edge into the water and sunk to the small pocket of air at the bottom of the water.
fBPJ3kI.png
Grim straightened in surprise, but roused Rill quickly as both swam down and dropped into the pocket of air.

"So you decided to take Radinen's suggestion after all," Rill teased with a laugh, yawning wide. "You didn't need to say goodbye, Treya; we'll still see you tomorrow."
Grim straightened in surprise, but roused Rill quickly as both swam down and dropped into the pocket of air.

"So you decided to take Radinen's suggestion after all," Rill teased with a laugh, yawning wide. "You didn't need to say goodbye, Treya; we'll still see you tomorrow."

Looking for lore?
She drops in after her pearl.

“No goodbyes needed. After all, I think you well established that leaving is better than formal goodbyes.” She laughs
“I do have some information though. It seems Hilgeth wants to venture out on her own to find her charge and with the way she looked… She will not tell anyone where or when she will go. You might be able to push her to leave at a time fitting your schedule.”
She drops in after her pearl.

“No goodbyes needed. After all, I think you well established that leaving is better than formal goodbyes.” She laughs
“I do have some information though. It seems Hilgeth wants to venture out on her own to find her charge and with the way she looked… She will not tell anyone where or when she will go. You might be able to push her to leave at a time fitting your schedule.”
fBPJ3kI.png
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 22 23