Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | [Lore] The Winter of Solitude
1 2 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 22 23
[center][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/40155447][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/coliseum/portraits/401555/40155447.png[/img][/url][/center] [i]"I can't believe we'll be handing our daughter over to [/i]her[i],"[/i] Merris ground his teeth in anger. Hilgeth could detect the subtle tremor of fear in his throat as they both made their way to their chamber, and she gently pushed her head against his. [i]"Osian himself said she's better now,"[/i] she reminded him gently. [i]"And there are others there, like Radinen."[/i] [i]"I thought she just shared the same name,"[/i] he slammed his tail into the wall in frustration. [i]"To think all this time I've been hosting such a vile individual, treating her as though she was worthy of respect."[/i] [i]"We'll be parting ways soon, Merris,"[/i] Hilgeth said, wrapping her tail around his as she pulled him to their nest. [i]"You won't have to see her for more than a few days."[/i] [i]"I didn't even get to spend a month with Nelan,"[/i] his voice cracked as he pulled away from her, standing alone. [i]"We should have turned them away."[/i] Hilgeth said nothing, watching him anxiously as he shook with anger. After a few moments he abruptly stopped, his face smoothing over as he masked his emotions. [i]"Go to sleep. I'll be out for a while."[/i] His mate nodded, touching him lightly with her wing. [i]"Don't do anything reckless."[/i] Merris said nothing, brushing her in return, but he didn't look at her as he left, marching out of the clan and taking off into the night.
40155447.png

"I can't believe we'll be handing our daughter over to her," Merris ground his teeth in anger. Hilgeth could detect the subtle tremor of fear in his throat as they both made their way to their chamber, and she gently pushed her head against his.

"Osian himself said she's better now," she reminded him gently. "And there are others there, like Radinen."

"I thought she just shared the same name," he slammed his tail into the wall in frustration. "To think all this time I've been hosting such a vile individual, treating her as though she was worthy of respect."

"We'll be parting ways soon, Merris," Hilgeth said, wrapping her tail around his as she pulled him to their nest. "You won't have to see her for more than a few days."

"I didn't even get to spend a month with Nelan," his voice cracked as he pulled away from her, standing alone. "We should have turned them away."

Hilgeth said nothing, watching him anxiously as he shook with anger. After a few moments he abruptly stopped, his face smoothing over as he masked his emotions.

"Go to sleep. I'll be out for a while."

His mate nodded, touching him lightly with her wing. "Don't do anything reckless."

Merris said nothing, brushing her in return, but he didn't look at her as he left, marching out of the clan and taking off into the night.

Looking for lore?
My clan has an ongoing story that you can read!
[center][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/85631083][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/coliseum/portraits/856311/85631083.png[/img][/url][/center] The tension was so overpowering the next morning that even the hatchlings were quiet at breakfast. Merris kept his burning gaze pinned on GrimRill and Treya whenever they were visible to him, and when they left he only seemed to grow angrier. Rill seemed no different from usual as he took the soldiers to two separate locations, showing them a narrow, hidden alcove that led outside in the south wing, and then another near the dais, which led out to the pool beneath the main entrance's waterfall. "What's all that stuff you have on, sir?" Mystery asked curiously as they made their way back inside. "This is what we take when we go out. I wouldn't recommend touching any of it, though, it's all cursed." Rill grinned. "Speaking of-" Grim lifted his head, making a piercing whistle. Within ten seconds a grotesque blue figure with three yellow-orange eyes and a giant, bulbous head was flying toward them, stopping at their feet and averting its gaze. "I didn't know you had a familiar, captain," Taniks said in amazement. "That's a chacma, isn't it?" "Sure is. You can get up, Wit; no need to be so nervous." Rill smirked. The creature said nothing, but rose, flying close by while it waited. "GrimRill!" Eredia's voice echoed down the Great Hall as more of the Aberrations began to congregate. The Imperial was out of breath when she reached the small military party, but she still didn't wait to speak. "We never discussed your proposition." "Oh yeah, I forgot about that," Rill said, although he didn't sound like he meant it. "You wanted to know what your half of that was, right?" "My... half?" "Yeah. We're going to go out, but you'll be staying here. So, you have to help us out from here." "How would I do that?" she asked curiously. "Give us something to advertise. A party, an event, whatever. We'll tell everyone we meet about it. Just make sure it actually happens." Rill said simply. "Can you do that?" "Absolutely!" Eredia smiled wide. "That's a wonderful idea!" "Glad you agree. When should I say it'll be held?" She hummed in thought. "Once the worst of the winter is over, so I'd say... four months. By then it should be safe to travel here again." "Will do. Four months from now. Put Torn to working making some sort of promotional material, invitations or posters or something. We can pass those out when we get back." "Absolutely!" she said again, happily writing down something in her notebook. "Thank you, I'll make sure I have all this ready when you return." "I know you will," Rill grinned, then looked back over his shoulder. "Well, once Hilgeth and Merris decide to leave, we'll be ready to go. Remember those entrances I showed you all, and keep a close eye on them. Dew, since Hilgeth said to pause working on the ruins, just post two guards near the entrance and otherwise monitor the clan as normal." "Yes, sir. If something dire were to happen, should I contact you and the founders?" he asked seriously. "Of course. Even if you have any questions, you can always send us a letter. Just include another blank letter in there so we can respond." "Yes, sir." Treya and Nelan appeared, with Radinen shadowing Treya even closer than usual, Rill noticed with a chuckle. Two minutes later, Hilgeth and Merris emerged from their chamber, with Merris leading the way outside while Eredia said goodbye to her friend. "See you in a month. Don't slack off." Rill grinned back at his subordinates, who saluted and promised adamantly that they wouldn't. He smirked one last time, then headed off, bringing up the rear as he began conversing with Grim. Finally, they could start.
85631083.png

The tension was so overpowering the next morning that even the hatchlings were quiet at breakfast. Merris kept his burning gaze pinned on GrimRill and Treya whenever they were visible to him, and when they left he only seemed to grow angrier.

Rill seemed no different from usual as he took the soldiers to two separate locations, showing them a narrow, hidden alcove that led outside in the south wing, and then another near the dais, which led out to the pool beneath the main entrance's waterfall.

"What's all that stuff you have on, sir?" Mystery asked curiously as they made their way back inside.

"This is what we take when we go out. I wouldn't recommend touching any of it, though, it's all cursed." Rill grinned. "Speaking of-"

Grim lifted his head, making a piercing whistle. Within ten seconds a grotesque blue figure with three yellow-orange eyes and a giant, bulbous head was flying toward them, stopping at their feet and averting its gaze.

"I didn't know you had a familiar, captain," Taniks said in amazement. "That's a chacma, isn't it?"

"Sure is. You can get up, Wit; no need to be so nervous." Rill smirked. The creature said nothing, but rose, flying close by while it waited.

"GrimRill!" Eredia's voice echoed down the Great Hall as more of the Aberrations began to congregate. The Imperial was out of breath when she reached the small military party, but she still didn't wait to speak. "We never discussed your proposition."

"Oh yeah, I forgot about that," Rill said, although he didn't sound like he meant it. "You wanted to know what your half of that was, right?"

"My... half?"

"Yeah. We're going to go out, but you'll be staying here. So, you have to help us out from here."

"How would I do that?" she asked curiously.

"Give us something to advertise. A party, an event, whatever. We'll tell everyone we meet about it. Just make sure it actually happens." Rill said simply. "Can you do that?"

"Absolutely!" Eredia smiled wide. "That's a wonderful idea!"

"Glad you agree. When should I say it'll be held?"

She hummed in thought. "Once the worst of the winter is over, so I'd say... four months. By then it should be safe to travel here again."

"Will do. Four months from now. Put Torn to working making some sort of promotional material, invitations or posters or something. We can pass those out when we get back."

"Absolutely!" she said again, happily writing down something in her notebook. "Thank you, I'll make sure I have all this ready when you return."

"I know you will," Rill grinned, then looked back over his shoulder. "Well, once Hilgeth and Merris decide to leave, we'll be ready to go. Remember those entrances I showed you all, and keep a close eye on them. Dew, since Hilgeth said to pause working on the ruins, just post two guards near the entrance and otherwise monitor the clan as normal."

"Yes, sir. If something dire were to happen, should I contact you and the founders?" he asked seriously.

"Of course. Even if you have any questions, you can always send us a letter. Just include another blank letter in there so we can respond."

"Yes, sir."

Treya and Nelan appeared, with Radinen shadowing Treya even closer than usual, Rill noticed with a chuckle. Two minutes later, Hilgeth and Merris emerged from their chamber, with Merris leading the way outside while Eredia said goodbye to her friend.

"See you in a month. Don't slack off." Rill grinned back at his subordinates, who saluted and promised adamantly that they wouldn't. He smirked one last time, then headed off, bringing up the rear as he began conversing with Grim.

Finally, they could start.

Looking for lore?
The trip north went quickly, as Treya set a swift pace at the head of the formation. The group followed the coast of the Southern Icefield for a day and a half, until they left behind the tundra and passed over the ice sheets that constantly broke and reformed under the assault of the ocean.

Nelan's mouth fell open at the sight of the Twisting Crescendo, which was visible even at the incredible distance between the Southern Icefield and the coastline of the Windswept Plateau.

Once the group was parallel with the massive storm, Treya slowly pulled away from the ice, navigating the unpredictable winds above the ocean until they found a slipstream that pulled them along at twice the speed.

"Hold on," Merris said to his daughter, who was flat against his back, just behind his shoulders. The air currents near the Twisting Crescendo were strong, eagerly pulling at the party of dragons in an attempt to draw them in. Merris and Hilgeth had the most difficulty maintaining their course, but once they found the correct rhythm and angle, it became easy to skirt the edges, using the winds to propel them toward their destination.

The moon had risen by the time the first part of their journey ended, and Hilgeth was relieved to find the party landing in a little village among the Millmeadows. The small cottages were complete with thatch and stone, and it gave off a rustic, but homely air.

"Ah, I almost forgot what it was like to be warm," Rill sighed with pleasure as he dropped down onto the grass. "Where would you like us to stay for the night, Treya?"
The trip north went quickly, as Treya set a swift pace at the head of the formation. The group followed the coast of the Southern Icefield for a day and a half, until they left behind the tundra and passed over the ice sheets that constantly broke and reformed under the assault of the ocean.

Nelan's mouth fell open at the sight of the Twisting Crescendo, which was visible even at the incredible distance between the Southern Icefield and the coastline of the Windswept Plateau.

Once the group was parallel with the massive storm, Treya slowly pulled away from the ice, navigating the unpredictable winds above the ocean until they found a slipstream that pulled them along at twice the speed.

"Hold on," Merris said to his daughter, who was flat against his back, just behind his shoulders. The air currents near the Twisting Crescendo were strong, eagerly pulling at the party of dragons in an attempt to draw them in. Merris and Hilgeth had the most difficulty maintaining their course, but once they found the correct rhythm and angle, it became easy to skirt the edges, using the winds to propel them toward their destination.

The moon had risen by the time the first part of their journey ended, and Hilgeth was relieved to find the party landing in a little village among the Millmeadows. The small cottages were complete with thatch and stone, and it gave off a rustic, but homely air.

"Ah, I almost forgot what it was like to be warm," Rill sighed with pleasure as he dropped down onto the grass. "Where would you like us to stay for the night, Treya?"

Looking for lore?
"The only inn open and big enough right now is the Bonekeeper Inn owned by Xavier. He should have gotten missive that a group was coming after a month... also mind the decor." She speaks to the group as she leads them to the inn.

The inn was covered in ornate designs... ornate designs fit for a gothic graveyard or castle and was quite large. Supposedly to fit the bigger dragons.
Treya opens the grand doors to the inn and the owner could be seen across the many tables and couches at the reception. He perks up at the sight of guests as he moves some bone chimes away from his face.

"Ah! Treya! These must be our esteemed guests! Welcome, come on in."
The Skydancer emits a magical aura as he moves from the desk up to the guests.
"The only inn open and big enough right now is the Bonekeeper Inn owned by Xavier. He should have gotten missive that a group was coming after a month... also mind the decor." She speaks to the group as she leads them to the inn.

The inn was covered in ornate designs... ornate designs fit for a gothic graveyard or castle and was quite large. Supposedly to fit the bigger dragons.
Treya opens the grand doors to the inn and the owner could be seen across the many tables and couches at the reception. He perks up at the sight of guests as he moves some bone chimes away from his face.

"Ah! Treya! These must be our esteemed guests! Welcome, come on in."
The Skydancer emits a magical aura as he moves from the desk up to the guests.
fBPJ3kI.png
"Oh goodness, I forgot to bring money," Hilgeth murmured to herself as she hesitated in the entryway.

Rill smirked, moving forward. "Sorry for the late arrival. I'll pay for everyone here, should be two Guardians and three Aberrations, including us."
"Oh goodness, I forgot to bring money," Hilgeth murmured to herself as she hesitated in the entryway.

Rill smirked, moving forward. "Sorry for the late arrival. I'll pay for everyone here, should be two Guardians and three Aberrations, including us."

Looking for lore?
"Oh no need!" Xaiver quickly pulls five skeletal keys with numbers on them and hands them to their respective persons. "Treya has footed the bill for all of you already."
Treya nods, signaling she did.

"Please, if you have any concerns or questions do not be afraid to ring the bell in your rooms or at the reception. One of my minions will assist you if it is a simple task and for more complicated ones you can just send them to me!"
"Oh no need!" Xaiver quickly pulls five skeletal keys with numbers on them and hands them to their respective persons. "Treya has footed the bill for all of you already."
Treya nods, signaling she did.

"Please, if you have any concerns or questions do not be afraid to ring the bell in your rooms or at the reception. One of my minions will assist you if it is a simple task and for more complicated ones you can just send them to me!"
fBPJ3kI.png
Grim looked back over his shoulder at Treya with a mixture of annoyance and a resigned amusement as NightShade and Ulharsjach took their keys without a word and disappeared. Rill offered his thanks, and then left for their room as well.

"Thank you, Treya, your generosity is much appreciated," Hilgeth dipped her head slowly, then looked up at Xavier with an embarrassed smile. "Would you mind showing us to our room?"

Merris wore an expression far from grateful as he surveyed the interior with a harsh, judgmental look. "We'll be sharing a room," he said, passing back his key.

As they began moving off through one of the larger halls, the male Guardian looked back to see Nelan still at Treya's side, her intentions clearly to follow her charge rather than her parents. He hesitated, but when Hilgeth nudged him gently, he gave a long sigh.

"Goodnight, Nelan. We'll see you tomorrow," Hilgeth smiled, coming back to brush her daughter's head affectionately.

Merris simply patted her on the head with his wing, letting it linger for a moment before his mate passed him. "Goodnight,"
Grim looked back over his shoulder at Treya with a mixture of annoyance and a resigned amusement as NightShade and Ulharsjach took their keys without a word and disappeared. Rill offered his thanks, and then left for their room as well.

"Thank you, Treya, your generosity is much appreciated," Hilgeth dipped her head slowly, then looked up at Xavier with an embarrassed smile. "Would you mind showing us to our room?"

Merris wore an expression far from grateful as he surveyed the interior with a harsh, judgmental look. "We'll be sharing a room," he said, passing back his key.

As they began moving off through one of the larger halls, the male Guardian looked back to see Nelan still at Treya's side, her intentions clearly to follow her charge rather than her parents. He hesitated, but when Hilgeth nudged him gently, he gave a long sigh.

"Goodnight, Nelan. We'll see you tomorrow," Hilgeth smiled, coming back to brush her daughter's head affectionately.

Merris simply patted her on the head with his wing, letting it linger for a moment before his mate passed him. "Goodnight,"

Looking for lore?
Nelan smiled at her parents as she nodded. "Goodnight. I will see you both tomorrow." She looks at them for a moment before looking to Treya who looked a bit unsure.
"You do not need to follow me, Nelan."

The Guardian shook her head. "Best I'd get to know the Traveling Breeze since I am here."

One last farewell, then Nelan and Treya both left the inn and went further down the cobble road.
Nelan smiled at her parents as she nodded. "Goodnight. I will see you both tomorrow." She looks at them for a moment before looking to Treya who looked a bit unsure.
"You do not need to follow me, Nelan."

The Guardian shook her head. "Best I'd get to know the Traveling Breeze since I am here."

One last farewell, then Nelan and Treya both left the inn and went further down the cobble road.
fBPJ3kI.png
By sunup the other two Aberrations had already left, and Rill waited until Grim was awake before they habitually examined their belongings.

"Wait, I thought you said we were taking two weeks worth of provisions," Rill said outloud.

Grim's eyes narrowed as he moved Rill aside so he could comb through the contents. There was a layer of edible debris coating the bottom of their pack, but other than the worst-tasting option, everything that could be eaten, had been.

Seems we have a stowaway. Grim bent lower, breathing in the scent. It was very close to their own.

"I told you we should have held off this," Rill grumbled as they gathered their gear and set out, both tracking the smell of a hatchling that left behind a faintly moist set of footprints.
By sunup the other two Aberrations had already left, and Rill waited until Grim was awake before they habitually examined their belongings.

"Wait, I thought you said we were taking two weeks worth of provisions," Rill said outloud.

Grim's eyes narrowed as he moved Rill aside so he could comb through the contents. There was a layer of edible debris coating the bottom of their pack, but other than the worst-tasting option, everything that could be eaten, had been.

Seems we have a stowaway. Grim bent lower, breathing in the scent. It was very close to their own.

"I told you we should have held off this," Rill grumbled as they gathered their gear and set out, both tracking the smell of a hatchling that left behind a faintly moist set of footprints.

Looking for lore?
Nelan and Treya were heading towards the Bonekeeper Inn, Treya telling Nelan the incatrices and plans for the Traveling Breeze and Home.
The morning was rather peaceful until Nelan felt something on her front leg. Immediately, she looked down and glared and whatever decided to mess with her though softened her look a tad at the sight of a small blue Aberration that held similarities to GrimRill.

Out of curiosity, Treya looked as well and locked eyes with the hatchling who then decided its next target. Clumsily, it moved up to Treya and started to attempt to gnaw on her pearl which she quickly moved out the way. Though she was then rammed into by the little thing and covered in mucous that seeped from its body.

A tired and recognized look was on Treya’s face as she tiredly picked up the hatchling by the scruff. Sighing, “He better not have done this on purpose.”
All the baby Aberration could do was babble as it playfully attempted to snap at Treya’s hand.
Nelan and Treya were heading towards the Bonekeeper Inn, Treya telling Nelan the incatrices and plans for the Traveling Breeze and Home.
The morning was rather peaceful until Nelan felt something on her front leg. Immediately, she looked down and glared and whatever decided to mess with her though softened her look a tad at the sight of a small blue Aberration that held similarities to GrimRill.

Out of curiosity, Treya looked as well and locked eyes with the hatchling who then decided its next target. Clumsily, it moved up to Treya and started to attempt to gnaw on her pearl which she quickly moved out the way. Though she was then rammed into by the little thing and covered in mucous that seeped from its body.

A tired and recognized look was on Treya’s face as she tiredly picked up the hatchling by the scruff. Sighing, “He better not have done this on purpose.”
All the baby Aberration could do was babble as it playfully attempted to snap at Treya’s hand.
fBPJ3kI.png
1 2 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 22 23