Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | [BSJ 2021] Triple Threat - A CYOA Quest
1 2 ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26
@lyricalmyxteries Golira reads the following line [quote]For a map of prominent ley lines, see page 4.[/quote] and immediately flips the pamphlet over and over looking for more pages. "Oh dear. I'm missing p2, 3 &4 and I would just love to have seen that map, I wonder if Melusine might have a copy" [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/39129097][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/391291/39129097_350.png[/img][/url] ----- Firstly thanks for putting this on. As for constructive criticism, seeing as you asked for it, I can only comment on the Daylight Sanctum route and I did feel that our choices were inconsequential and trivial with no effect on the story, leaving me feeling like a passenger along for the ride. The pamphlet didn't really give me a feeling of completion either, it just really recapped what had been said so that was a bit of an anticlimactic moment.
@lyricalmyxteries

Golira reads the following line
Quote:
For a map of prominent ley lines, see page 4.

and immediately flips the pamphlet over and over looking for more pages.

"Oh dear. I'm missing p2, 3 &4 and I would just love to have seen that map, I wonder if Melusine might have a copy"

39129097_350.png

Firstly thanks for putting this on.

As for constructive criticism, seeing as you asked for it, I can only comment on the Daylight Sanctum route and I did feel that our choices were inconsequential and trivial with no effect on the story, leaving me feeling like a passenger along for the ride.

The pamphlet didn't really give me a feeling of completion either, it just really recapped what had been said so that was a bit of an anticlimactic moment.

qDkA25S.png
Beginning | Sunday | Monday |Tuesday | Wednesday | Thursday | Friday | Conclusion

Whistler: Emperor's Wake

Whistler is ecstatic to see Errai and the others safe. Back at the Lanternlea Port, he truly realizes how tired he is. He bids farewell to Netcha and Errai, thanking them for a wonderful adventure. He finds lodgings at an inn run by two kindly spirals and goes to sleep after his favorite meal: deep-fried grasshoppers. In his dreams, he sees artifacts, red-tailed boas, and a friendly Luminax. Well, this is definitely a dream.

Staerkhan: Daylight Sanctum

He is mystified by the discourse between Melusine and Moondust. So the mystery of the plants and tremors had been solved? The green pearlcatcher vanishes into the busyness of the Lanternlea Port before he can ask her any questions. Oh, well.

There is enough time for him to fly home and be in time for the Dayfire Clan feast on the last evening before the end of the Jubilee. He retires early, wondering over what he has learned and considering the other teams and how they have progressed. He will return to the Port tomorrow to see if he can gain any new information.

CONCLUSION

The festivities are over, for the most part. Back in the Lanternlea Port, Staerkhan finds Whistler... or rather, he finds the obelisk's familiar and teacher Lasheen, who directs the Imperial to him. Staerkhan doubts that he'd ever find the curious Whistler in the Port on his own. Interestingly, they are reunited near where their adventure began.

"Look at this, Staer-- erm, milord," Whistler cries exuberantly, waving a brochure. "Look! That's my name! And there's yours! They're telling us thank you!!"

Staerkhan studies the rest of the text written on the paper. So, that was the answer to all the strange happenings he had witnessed with Melusine and her co-workers. After reading the pamphlet all the way through, he folds it up and tucks it into his robes.

"Come, Whistler. Let us return home; there is much to be done." First, they needed to warn the clan to increase their defenses against Luminax and the beastclans residing in the nearby forest. There are many things that need to be chronicled. But more than that, Staerkhan has plans. He is going to build a device like some of the ones in the Sanctum in order to better monitor the ley energies that pulsed so near to his home. This adventure may be over, but it is a doorway to another.

OK, so I was a little late on the last day, but here it is.

Thank you SO much for doing this! It was very well-written, and there were certainly some heart-pounding moments in there. The adventure felt very real. I've certainly been inspired to do my own CYOA some time down the road. So thanks again!
Beginning | Sunday | Monday |Tuesday | Wednesday | Thursday | Friday | Conclusion

Whistler: Emperor's Wake

Whistler is ecstatic to see Errai and the others safe. Back at the Lanternlea Port, he truly realizes how tired he is. He bids farewell to Netcha and Errai, thanking them for a wonderful adventure. He finds lodgings at an inn run by two kindly spirals and goes to sleep after his favorite meal: deep-fried grasshoppers. In his dreams, he sees artifacts, red-tailed boas, and a friendly Luminax. Well, this is definitely a dream.

Staerkhan: Daylight Sanctum

He is mystified by the discourse between Melusine and Moondust. So the mystery of the plants and tremors had been solved? The green pearlcatcher vanishes into the busyness of the Lanternlea Port before he can ask her any questions. Oh, well.

There is enough time for him to fly home and be in time for the Dayfire Clan feast on the last evening before the end of the Jubilee. He retires early, wondering over what he has learned and considering the other teams and how they have progressed. He will return to the Port tomorrow to see if he can gain any new information.

CONCLUSION

The festivities are over, for the most part. Back in the Lanternlea Port, Staerkhan finds Whistler... or rather, he finds the obelisk's familiar and teacher Lasheen, who directs the Imperial to him. Staerkhan doubts that he'd ever find the curious Whistler in the Port on his own. Interestingly, they are reunited near where their adventure began.

"Look at this, Staer-- erm, milord," Whistler cries exuberantly, waving a brochure. "Look! That's my name! And there's yours! They're telling us thank you!!"

Staerkhan studies the rest of the text written on the paper. So, that was the answer to all the strange happenings he had witnessed with Melusine and her co-workers. After reading the pamphlet all the way through, he folds it up and tucks it into his robes.

"Come, Whistler. Let us return home; there is much to be done." First, they needed to warn the clan to increase their defenses against Luminax and the beastclans residing in the nearby forest. There are many things that need to be chronicled. But more than that, Staerkhan has plans. He is going to build a device like some of the ones in the Sanctum in order to better monitor the ley energies that pulsed so near to his home. This adventure may be over, but it is a doorway to another.

OK, so I was a little late on the last day, but here it is.

Thank you SO much for doing this! It was very well-written, and there were certainly some heart-pounding moments in there. The adventure felt very real. I've certainly been inspired to do my own CYOA some time down the road. So thanks again!

vkUHhwh.png
xLA9jR6.png
This was such a fun adventure!! Each route had its own unique feel and interesting NPCs, all of which made for an engaging story. As soon as I finished writing my post each day, I always went back and checked how the alternate path played out. And allowing for no role-playing is appreciated - my energy levels vary from day to day, and knowing that I could still participate even on days where I lacked the energy for robust responses made it a low-stress event. Overall, you did an amazing job on such a strict time limit :^D Thank you so much for setting up this CYOA! If you decide to host more events for future Brightshine celebrations, I know I'll be eager to join in [emoji=new friend size=1]
This was such a fun adventure!! Each route had its own unique feel and interesting NPCs, all of which made for an engaging story. As soon as I finished writing my post each day, I always went back and checked how the alternate path played out.

And allowing for no role-playing is appreciated - my energy levels vary from day to day, and knowing that I could still participate even on days where I lacked the energy for robust responses made it a low-stress event.

Overall, you did an amazing job on such a strict time limit :^D Thank you so much for setting up this CYOA! If you decide to host more events for future Brightshine celebrations, I know I'll be eager to join in
tumblr_inline_nl99l3zmlQ1ro4abf_100.png AzWEmYL.png ghostingskies
» they/he
» FR +2
» pings OK!
Three of my dergs are now recorded in history :O

nice

but Aqualis is still probably not happy with the trip despite that lol
Three of my dergs are now recorded in history :O

nice

but Aqualis is still probably not happy with the trip despite that lol
Accent: Crocodile Friend!! Buy 'Accent:
Crocodile Friend!!'
here!
cVPo4yi.png
o9yS1eq.png
r8v91MH.png
8GgdVkW.png
njCJq66.png
bYt72YT.png
A badge of a sturgeon gardener for Water's Aqua Garden push in 2024. Art by Dovalore A badge of a Sewer Toridae with a tiger lily flower crown on its head. Obtained through a WaterDom grab bag event for LEAP 2024. Art by FirozTaverbi
In all seriousness, great CYOA! It was fun thinking of my dragons' decisions, and it must've taken a long time to make this. Kudos!
In all seriousness, great CYOA! It was fun thinking of my dragons' decisions, and it must've taken a long time to make this. Kudos!
Accent: Crocodile Friend!! Buy 'Accent:
Crocodile Friend!!'
here!
cVPo4yi.png
o9yS1eq.png
r8v91MH.png
8GgdVkW.png
njCJq66.png
bYt72YT.png
A badge of a sturgeon gardener for Water's Aqua Garden push in 2024. Art by Dovalore A badge of a Sewer Toridae with a tiger lily flower crown on its head. Obtained through a WaterDom grab bag event for LEAP 2024. Art by FirozTaverbi
[center][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/40294446][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/402945/40294446.png[/img][/url][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/70221571][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/702216/70221571.png[/img][/url][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/63401025][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/634011/63401025.png[/img][/url][/center] [size=2]There's silence for a few instants after Melquist finishes reading the report out loud. «Huh,» he says then, «so it was all connected. That's interesting.» He flips to page 4, then remembers he doesn't care about ley lines and hands the pamphlet to Justice instead. At least he'll enjoy the map. Justice's eyes light up at the prospect of adding another map to his collection. He tears it out of the leaflet, folds it carefully, and stores it in his satchel. «Do you want this?» he asks, handing Maksim what's left of the report. «Magister Toril might want to read it,» says Maksim as he accepts the paper. He doesn't point out that Toril might also want to see the ley line map; that's Justice's problem to sort out with the magister. He gives the report another quick read. «This barely mentions the Hewn City,» he notes. Melquist shrugs. «We'll ask Toril, but don't get your hopes up. Sometimes you don't get all the answers.» Maksim feels like "[i]Most of the time you don't get any answers[/i]" would be a more accurate line. He folds the report into quarters and puts it into his pocket; as he does so, his claws bump into something. «Oh,» he says, taking out the crystal shards and laying them out on his palm. They look dimmer, not as shiny as they were before, and the dark wisps are still clearly visible. «I forgot about this.» Justice and Melquist get closer to examine them; even Melquist looks somewhat intrigued. «You said this is what saved you?» Justice asks, poking at a fragment with the tip of his claw. It rolls innocuously on Maksim's palm. «Yeah, that's how it shattered,» says Maksim, sounding somewhat sulky. «I wanted to give it to Galad, but it's broken now.» [i]And possibly haunted[/i], he thinks. He looks dejectedly at the shards. Melquist takes pity on him. «He won't mind that it's broken,» he says, because it's true, and watches Maksim's expression lift up a little. Justice hums thoughtfully. «You know, he should be on a gathering trip to the Mirrorlight Promenade. If we hurry, we might be able to catch up to him. We can help him with his digging and then we can go home together.» Melquist opens his mouth to complain about the use of the word "we", because he has no intention of doing any [i]digging[/i], thank you very much, but relents when he sees how Maksim's eyes sparkle at the idea. «I'd like that,» says Maksim immediately, tucking the crystal fragments back in his pocket. «I'm ready to go when you two are.» The other two exchange a Glance, a capital-G [i]Glance[/i], that goes completely over Maksim's head. «Okay,» sighs Melquist, and Justice grins victoriously. Maybe Melquist is getting softer in his old age, maybe he's in a good mood because he has a satchel full of plant samples, maybe saying no to Maksim right now would feel like kicking a particularly small and cute puppy. Maybe all three. He'll never admit it. With a last look at Lanternlea Port, they take to the air and make for their next destination.[/size] ----- oops all character stuff!!! this was my first elemental festival CYOA and i enjoyed myself a lot! personally i struggle with writing Plot™, so i was very glad to have the chance to just... throw these three into already-established situations and just figure out how they would react. i feel like i have a much clearer idea of who these characters are now! thank you for hosting, it can't have been easy but i think you did a great job writing and setting the whole thing up [emoji=spiral happy size=1]
40294446.png70221571.png63401025.png

There's silence for a few instants after Melquist finishes reading the report out loud. «Huh,» he says then, «so it was all connected. That's interesting.» He flips to page 4, then remembers he doesn't care about ley lines and hands the pamphlet to Justice instead. At least he'll enjoy the map.

Justice's eyes light up at the prospect of adding another map to his collection. He tears it out of the leaflet, folds it carefully, and stores it in his satchel. «Do you want this?» he asks, handing Maksim what's left of the report.

«Magister Toril might want to read it,» says Maksim as he accepts the paper. He doesn't point out that Toril might also want to see the ley line map; that's Justice's problem to sort out with the magister. He gives the report another quick read. «This barely mentions the Hewn City,» he notes.

Melquist shrugs. «We'll ask Toril, but don't get your hopes up. Sometimes you don't get all the answers.»

Maksim feels like "Most of the time you don't get any answers" would be a more accurate line. He folds the report into quarters and puts it into his pocket; as he does so, his claws bump into something. «Oh,» he says, taking out the crystal shards and laying them out on his palm. They look dimmer, not as shiny as they were before, and the dark wisps are still clearly visible. «I forgot about this.»

Justice and Melquist get closer to examine them; even Melquist looks somewhat intrigued. «You said this is what saved you?» Justice asks, poking at a fragment with the tip of his claw. It rolls innocuously on Maksim's palm.

«Yeah, that's how it shattered,» says Maksim, sounding somewhat sulky. «I wanted to give it to Galad, but it's broken now.» And possibly haunted, he thinks. He looks dejectedly at the shards.

Melquist takes pity on him. «He won't mind that it's broken,» he says, because it's true, and watches Maksim's expression lift up a little.

Justice hums thoughtfully. «You know, he should be on a gathering trip to the Mirrorlight Promenade. If we hurry, we might be able to catch up to him. We can help him with his digging and then we can go home together.»

Melquist opens his mouth to complain about the use of the word "we", because he has no intention of doing any digging, thank you very much, but relents when he sees how Maksim's eyes sparkle at the idea. «I'd like that,» says Maksim immediately, tucking the crystal fragments back in his pocket. «I'm ready to go when you two are.»

The other two exchange a Glance, a capital-G Glance, that goes completely over Maksim's head. «Okay,» sighs Melquist, and Justice grins victoriously. Maybe Melquist is getting softer in his old age, maybe he's in a good mood because he has a satchel full of plant samples, maybe saying no to Maksim right now would feel like kicking a particularly small and cute puppy. Maybe all three. He'll never admit it.

With a last look at Lanternlea Port, they take to the air and make for their next destination.

oops all character stuff!!!

this was my first elemental festival CYOA and i enjoyed myself a lot! personally i struggle with writing Plot™, so i was very glad to have the chance to just... throw these three into already-established situations and just figure out how they would react. i feel like i have a much clearer idea of who these characters are now! thank you for hosting, it can't have been easy but i think you did a great job writing and setting the whole thing up
image.png ___
» Bel
they/them
feel free to ping me or message me for anything, i'm always happy to chat!
Thank you very much for hosting this! It was well-written, and it was nice to stretch my writing muscles a bit after not writing anything of length on FR for awhile. I'm still a few days behind on writing for my dragons, but I intend to finish their adventure soon— I'll probably edit this post with their Friday + Saturday conclusion.

For constructive criticism, I agree with a previous user that choices seemed at times inconsequential because they brought you intermediately to the same place with few references later on to the different choices made. I can't blame you for merging paths though, because as you said, it's a lot of writing!
Thank you very much for hosting this! It was well-written, and it was nice to stretch my writing muscles a bit after not writing anything of length on FR for awhile. I'm still a few days behind on writing for my dragons, but I intend to finish their adventure soon— I'll probably edit this post with their Friday + Saturday conclusion.

For constructive criticism, I agree with a previous user that choices seemed at times inconsequential because they brought you intermediately to the same place with few references later on to the different choices made. I can't blame you for merging paths though, because as you said, it's a lot of writing!
tmmkOjs.png PXWBvNq.png
[center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=55918935][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/coliseum/portraits/559190/55918935.png[/img][/url] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=62701808][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/coliseum/portraits/627019/62701808.png[/img][/url] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=66504523][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/coliseum/portraits/665046/66504523.png[/img][/url][/center] The three clanmates meet up again the next day, and soon they find their way to the crowd. Each one picks up a copy of the Official Investigation Report and reads it. Elefseria giggles. "Well, looks like we'll be able to grow some of those plants in the lair, after all! I ought to show this to our plant-loving pals. Some of them might be interested." Hayabusa squints at him. "Didn't you mention something about a doll you picked up outside the Moonportal?" "Yeah, I gave it to the researchers for examination. What of it?" "Um..." Hayabusa trails off. Evidently that "ominous sense of despair" didn't infect Elefseria too deeply. Hunter shivers. "I think it might be wise to stay away from Emperor's Wake for a while." "Haven't we [i]always[/i] stayed away from it?" "Hah." She flicks her tail. "Stay [i]farther[/i] away from it, then. Anyway, we ought to report back to the lair. Maybe they'll have further news. Also," and her frills wave in amusement, "Zastruga will be happy to know we didn't die." [i](A little bit late, but thank you so much for hosting this! CYOAs are never easy to run, but the story you came up with was so fascinating, and I also really liked how non-restrictive this was, that players could jump in any day and choose as many paths as they wanted, and that RPing wasn't a requirement. This was such a fun, relaxing event to join, and very well-written too! [emoji=bogsneak star])[/i]
55918935.png 62701808.png 66504523.png

The three clanmates meet up again the next day, and soon they find their way to the crowd. Each one picks up a copy of the Official Investigation Report and reads it.

Elefseria giggles. "Well, looks like we'll be able to grow some of those plants in the lair, after all! I ought to show this to our plant-loving pals. Some of them might be interested."

Hayabusa squints at him. "Didn't you mention something about a doll you picked up outside the Moonportal?"

"Yeah, I gave it to the researchers for examination. What of it?"

"Um..." Hayabusa trails off. Evidently that "ominous sense of despair" didn't infect Elefseria too deeply.

Hunter shivers. "I think it might be wise to stay away from Emperor's Wake for a while."

"Haven't we always stayed away from it?"

"Hah." She flicks her tail. "Stay farther away from it, then. Anyway, we ought to report back to the lair. Maybe they'll have further news. Also," and her frills wave in amusement, "Zastruga will be happy to know we didn't die."

(A little bit late, but thank you so much for hosting this! CYOAs are never easy to run, but the story you came up with was so fascinating, and I also really liked how non-restrictive this was, that players could jump in any day and choose as many paths as they wanted, and that RPing wasn't a requirement. This was such a fun, relaxing event to join, and very well-written too! )
Disillusionist's Lore & More .. {Free} bio resourcesLF Affiliates
female / INTJ / Capricorn / +16 FR time
Clan: FAQ | Stats | Lore Thread | Directory | Avatar
Wishlists: outfits & genes | general | familiars
Please check the spelling of my name when pinging me: @Disillusionist. Thanks!
@lyricalmyxteries

Thanks for running this! Are badges still gonna be a thing? If so, I'd love a ping when it's out of the oven.
@lyricalmyxteries

Thanks for running this! Are badges still gonna be a thing? If so, I'd love a ping when it's out of the oven.
pixie-pronouns-2-2.png* * *Saronai made so many star badges and you liked them all! Thank you! Please keep them linked to Ylli's collection thread for others to find.* * * * * * * *Diem's Daily Dragons
1 2 ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26