Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | Dragon Writers of January
1 2 3 4
General Introduction

During Nanowrimo 2013, I started a writers' chat thread in the Wind forum with Ladyrowyn. After leaving Wind, we've created a writers' chat here every month, to (a) meet new writers! and (b) keep in touch with all our Windy friends. (Hi Windies! We still love you all!)

Some purposes for this thread:
  • Talk excitedly about your current awesome writing project!
  • Whinge about your current project which no longer seems so awesome and you don't want to work on it any more but YOU WILL anyway. Because REASONS.
  • Show off snippets of your writing
  • Cheer your fellow writers on as they write!
  • Commiserate with your fellow writers as they complain about not writing, or about not being happy with their writing
  • Ask other participants to pick one of your dragons for you to write something about in the dragon's bio
  • Show off dragon bios
  • Admire one another's dragons and new hatchlings from time to time (because this IS Flight Rising)
  • Any other writerly activities you want to chat about

"Dragon Writers" is a reference to this being a chat on a dragon site; there is no requirement that you write about dragons in order to participate. (Okay, there really aren't any requirements at all).

This is intended to be a general chat thread and not a critique group. Now, it's absolutely fine for a writer to post a link to their work and ask people for feedback and/or criticism! But it's also fine for people to post bits of their writing just to show off and with no desire to have it critiqued. And it's fine if you participate in the thread without ever sharing anything you write, or giving feedback on anyone else's writing.

Unless a writer solicits critiques, please only respond to their writing with supportive comments (or don't respond at all).

Also, this is a chat thread: we're here to interact with one another as writers. Showing up to say 'I haven't read any of the previous messages and am completely ignoring any conversations going on. Please come to my thread/read my writing' is unlikely to work out well for you.

New Business
Happy New Year, everyone! Look, a fresh new year with no mistakes in it yet! Isn't it lovely. <3
Today's an excellent day to give us a broad overview of your goals for the next twelve months! Tell us all your plans! For FR and for your writing this year!
General Introduction

During Nanowrimo 2013, I started a writers' chat thread in the Wind forum with Ladyrowyn. After leaving Wind, we've created a writers' chat here every month, to (a) meet new writers! and (b) keep in touch with all our Windy friends. (Hi Windies! We still love you all!)

Some purposes for this thread:
  • Talk excitedly about your current awesome writing project!
  • Whinge about your current project which no longer seems so awesome and you don't want to work on it any more but YOU WILL anyway. Because REASONS.
  • Show off snippets of your writing
  • Cheer your fellow writers on as they write!
  • Commiserate with your fellow writers as they complain about not writing, or about not being happy with their writing
  • Ask other participants to pick one of your dragons for you to write something about in the dragon's bio
  • Show off dragon bios
  • Admire one another's dragons and new hatchlings from time to time (because this IS Flight Rising)
  • Any other writerly activities you want to chat about

"Dragon Writers" is a reference to this being a chat on a dragon site; there is no requirement that you write about dragons in order to participate. (Okay, there really aren't any requirements at all).

This is intended to be a general chat thread and not a critique group. Now, it's absolutely fine for a writer to post a link to their work and ask people for feedback and/or criticism! But it's also fine for people to post bits of their writing just to show off and with no desire to have it critiqued. And it's fine if you participate in the thread without ever sharing anything you write, or giving feedback on anyone else's writing.

Unless a writer solicits critiques, please only respond to their writing with supportive comments (or don't respond at all).

Also, this is a chat thread: we're here to interact with one another as writers. Showing up to say 'I haven't read any of the previous messages and am completely ignoring any conversations going on. Please come to my thread/read my writing' is unlikely to work out well for you.

New Business
Happy New Year, everyone! Look, a fresh new year with no mistakes in it yet! Isn't it lovely. <3
Today's an excellent day to give us a broad overview of your goals for the next twelve months! Tell us all your plans! For FR and for your writing this year!
Traveling Wind Clan! We have toured every Flight in Sornieth!
We completed our round-the-world tour on July 6th, 2020 and are once again home in Wind!

Previous Visits: Wind, Earth, Light, Shadow, Nature, Arcane, Ice, Fire, Water, Lightning, Plague
@Adventure, @Almaren, @Aloysius, @Alphanix, @Alpharaposa, @alwaid, , @angelfire335, @Araaska, @Arios, @Artificiary, @Athaza, @Avanari, @Azurenight, @Batme, @benalene, @Briarstrike, @BlackWinter, @brilliantsky, @Caiiore, @CanisLupus03, @Catbag, @Catkinstarchild, @Celetia912, @chalcara, @chaosheart13, @chibithulu, @cinderrain, @Cinnimoncynic, @Connlaodh, @Copierthief, @cricara, @Darkmoonbreeder, @Darkmoonnbreeder, @Darkwarrior101, @deanazazel, @demonslayr62, @demonslayr62, @disbounded, @dotdedo, @DracioZard, @DracoLeo, @DragonMaid421, @DTEvie, @Duchannes, @Elfnextdoor, @Emberglo, @EmpressSectonia, @encarmine, @Endernil, @EonFlamewing, @Erratic, @evosoul, @Eyries, @FireStarter007, @Fixeddotdice, @FluffyTundras, @Fuurin, @gendersquare, @GreyWardenNova, @growingthebear, @GuardianDragonak, @gunslinger, @Gusted, , @HeartThief, @hitoritabi, @HugQueen, @Hurricanesong, @Hydria, @Hyleoroi, @Iceyriver08, @Ickyrus, @Iriexiris, @IronPen, @IvoryMuffin, @Jane13, @JiggertyPokery, @Joying, @KallyPaige, @kanashiiichigo, @Karika, @kayn, @Kazaera, @Keeum, @Kelwyn, @KenjiSnow, @Kerynean, @Killunia, @KittyHamilton, @KrazKitCat, @LadyKnightKatsa, @LadyRowyn, @Ladyslayer, @Lae, @LaraAelric, @Larkie, @laumania, @Lawful, @Lckgandor, @li0nessrampant, @LilacsandFreedom, @lilastar, @LongMorrison, @luckgandor, @LuckieChanm, @LucklessLady, @Lundlaeva, @Lytic, @ManaStar, @Marmite, @maw, @MawkishMuse, @MawkishMuse, @melonLord, @MeraHunt, @Metamochi, @micahjaguar, @mightybeast, @mischiefsabre, @MischiefSword, @MisfitsLanding, @MissFortune17, @Mistwalker, @Moonwater, @Morichinatsu, @Mort, @MurEyeUh, @mwingzero, @Namira, @nano, @nargothrond, @Nemera, @Nemesis, @Neroelysium, @Nightlilac, @NightwindDragon, @Niguidara, @NinjaKnightOsc, @Nyghtfall12, @Oakwick, @ObsidianNights, @Onigame, @pachirisu, @Paintminion, @Pasafatu, @Petall, @PhoenixMiko, @Pielonious, @pixeltune, @PixieKnight3264, @Plagueheart, @PlatinumDream, @PocketTheSaurus, @Polymorphus, @PoofinBurd, @Pookasaur, @psychocanes, @puffbird, @purplpeanut, , @quartzcrusher, @QuetzalQueen, @Rabbithearts, @Raenea, @Reltseo, @Remuta, @Rexcaliburr, @ruthie, @SadariEvenstar, @SamIamLuvDov, @SapphireElegy, @Saraceaser, @Saraceaser, @ScrivenerRook, @seraphemme, @Serpenthyne, @ShadesofCyan, @shimo, @ShockZephyr, @SierraKomodo, @SilverFoxDemon, @Silverspun, @SingingBirdy, @SirWermo, @SN1006, @Snaphance, @SnoringHyena, @SpiritKin, @SpringyBirdd, @Srewolf, @Steffon, @Stoat, @Suraya, @SylphofPens, @Syrinx, @tacroy, @thatjaeger, @The13Inquisitor, @TheDragonsQueen, @thefaceradar, @TheMaskedHunter, @tsuneembers, @TwilightDreams, @typoAdventure, @Tzarksra,@Umpaloompa, @Upstart, @Velg, @velvetpaws, @VigilanteSnail, @VioletWhirlwind, @VivaFariy, @WhoDoVooDoo, @Wisecakes, @Wymetz, @WynterDragen, @Xumbre, @Yukino, @ZenithNadir, @Zidderinni, @Zonemod, @pulses, @Pastelbvtts, @GreatLordHades, @Icetones, @arikin, @Lupik, @Issalyn

I summon the dragon writer horde!
The pinglist is self-editing. To add or remove yourself, go here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1MgBhbV0tZai8TO20VNURz5y8_toxSN4xLCamseq7ICs/edit?usp=drive_web&ouid=114980281740159156205
@Adventure, @Almaren, @Aloysius, @Alphanix, @Alpharaposa, @alwaid, , @angelfire335, @Araaska, @Arios, @Artificiary, @Athaza, @Avanari, @Azurenight, @Batme, @benalene, @Briarstrike, @BlackWinter, @brilliantsky, @Caiiore, @CanisLupus03, @Catbag, @Catkinstarchild, @Celetia912, @chalcara, @chaosheart13, @chibithulu, @cinderrain, @Cinnimoncynic, @Connlaodh, @Copierthief, @cricara, @Darkmoonbreeder, @Darkmoonnbreeder, @Darkwarrior101, @deanazazel, @demonslayr62, @demonslayr62, @disbounded, @dotdedo, @DracioZard, @DracoLeo, @DragonMaid421, @DTEvie, @Duchannes, @Elfnextdoor, @Emberglo, @EmpressSectonia, @encarmine, @Endernil, @EonFlamewing, @Erratic, @evosoul, @Eyries, @FireStarter007, @Fixeddotdice, @FluffyTundras, @Fuurin, @gendersquare, @GreyWardenNova, @growingthebear, @GuardianDragonak, @gunslinger, @Gusted, , @HeartThief, @hitoritabi, @HugQueen, @Hurricanesong, @Hydria, @Hyleoroi, @Iceyriver08, @Ickyrus, @Iriexiris, @IronPen, @IvoryMuffin, @Jane13, @JiggertyPokery, @Joying, @KallyPaige, @kanashiiichigo, @Karika, @kayn, @Kazaera, @Keeum, @Kelwyn, @KenjiSnow, @Kerynean, @Killunia, @KittyHamilton, @KrazKitCat, @LadyKnightKatsa, @LadyRowyn, @Ladyslayer, @Lae, @LaraAelric, @Larkie, @laumania, @Lawful, @Lckgandor, @li0nessrampant, @LilacsandFreedom, @lilastar, @LongMorrison, @luckgandor, @LuckieChanm, @LucklessLady, @Lundlaeva, @Lytic, @ManaStar, @Marmite, @maw, @MawkishMuse, @MawkishMuse, @melonLord, @MeraHunt, @Metamochi, @micahjaguar, @mightybeast, @mischiefsabre, @MischiefSword, @MisfitsLanding, @MissFortune17, @Mistwalker, @Moonwater, @Morichinatsu, @Mort, @MurEyeUh, @mwingzero, @Namira, @nano, @nargothrond, @Nemera, @Nemesis, @Neroelysium, @Nightlilac, @NightwindDragon, @Niguidara, @NinjaKnightOsc, @Nyghtfall12, @Oakwick, @ObsidianNights, @Onigame, @pachirisu, @Paintminion, @Pasafatu, @Petall, @PhoenixMiko, @Pielonious, @pixeltune, @PixieKnight3264, @Plagueheart, @PlatinumDream, @PocketTheSaurus, @Polymorphus, @PoofinBurd, @Pookasaur, @psychocanes, @puffbird, @purplpeanut, , @quartzcrusher, @QuetzalQueen, @Rabbithearts, @Raenea, @Reltseo, @Remuta, @Rexcaliburr, @ruthie, @SadariEvenstar, @SamIamLuvDov, @SapphireElegy, @Saraceaser, @Saraceaser, @ScrivenerRook, @seraphemme, @Serpenthyne, @ShadesofCyan, @shimo, @ShockZephyr, @SierraKomodo, @SilverFoxDemon, @Silverspun, @SingingBirdy, @SirWermo, @SN1006, @Snaphance, @SnoringHyena, @SpiritKin, @SpringyBirdd, @Srewolf, @Steffon, @Stoat, @Suraya, @SylphofPens, @Syrinx, @tacroy, @thatjaeger, @The13Inquisitor, @TheDragonsQueen, @thefaceradar, @TheMaskedHunter, @tsuneembers, @TwilightDreams, @typoAdventure, @Tzarksra,@Umpaloompa, @Upstart, @Velg, @velvetpaws, @VigilanteSnail, @VioletWhirlwind, @VivaFariy, @WhoDoVooDoo, @Wisecakes, @Wymetz, @WynterDragen, @Xumbre, @Yukino, @ZenithNadir, @Zidderinni, @Zonemod, @pulses, @Pastelbvtts, @GreatLordHades, @Icetones, @arikin, @Lupik, @Issalyn

I summon the dragon writer horde!
The pinglist is self-editing. To add or remove yourself, go here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1MgBhbV0tZai8TO20VNURz5y8_toxSN4xLCamseq7ICs/edit?usp=drive_web&ouid=114980281740159156205
We completed our round-the-world tour on July 6th, 2020 and are once again home in Wind!

Previous Visits: Wind, Earth, Light, Shadow, Nature, Arcane, Ice, Fire, Water, Lightning, Plague
Welcome to 2019 everyone! I just moved to Water, my ninth flight on my Sornieth journey, and am eagerly awaiting my first batch of Water hatchies. *croons over the nest*

Fire was a fun flight--we won Dom several times!--but I gotta admit, the Water banner is a lot more interesting. More colors, more soothing. And the nests are frilly and pretty. I'm looking forward to my six months as a droplet... then it's on to Lightning!

2019 is going to be a dense year for me. The plan is to publish six novels (one every two months), run four Kickstarters for audiobook editions, stream art once a week, and post to Patreon 3 times a week. (Did I mention full-time writing is a like a real job? Lol) I've only got two of those six novels written, and one about a third done... but that's better than having *nothing* ready, so... *cracks knuckles* 2019! I'M COMING FOR YUUUUUUUUUUUUUU RARRR

*chortles*

Anyway, that's my plan. How about y'all? :D
Welcome to 2019 everyone! I just moved to Water, my ninth flight on my Sornieth journey, and am eagerly awaiting my first batch of Water hatchies. *croons over the nest*

Fire was a fun flight--we won Dom several times!--but I gotta admit, the Water banner is a lot more interesting. More colors, more soothing. And the nests are frilly and pretty. I'm looking forward to my six months as a droplet... then it's on to Lightning!

2019 is going to be a dense year for me. The plan is to publish six novels (one every two months), run four Kickstarters for audiobook editions, stream art once a week, and post to Patreon 3 times a week. (Did I mention full-time writing is a like a real job? Lol) I've only got two of those six novels written, and one about a third done... but that's better than having *nothing* ready, so... *cracks knuckles* 2019! I'M COMING FOR YUUUUUUUUUUUUUU RARRR

*chortles*

Anyway, that's my plan. How about y'all? :D

@micahjaguar
My personal life in 2019 will be interesting and I'm taking it head on but my work life will be starting out very bad about a few days ago I got suspended and when I get back I'm expecting backlash and bad news but I use fancy words and I'll use my family charm to convince them that I did use the time to think about what I did and how I'm going to use th mistake to be a better employee I REFUSE to start 2019 bad and it's not going to drag me though the mud like 2018 did at the very end.

EDIT: I'm currently working on a few drafts of Lore about The Elder Dragons, Himiko The Dragon Queen that raises the sun, The Crystal Empire, and a few other Dragon's that I already have the idea planned but I need to write it out.
@micahjaguar
My personal life in 2019 will be interesting and I'm taking it head on but my work life will be starting out very bad about a few days ago I got suspended and when I get back I'm expecting backlash and bad news but I use fancy words and I'll use my family charm to convince them that I did use the time to think about what I did and how I'm going to use th mistake to be a better employee I REFUSE to start 2019 bad and it's not going to drag me though the mud like 2018 did at the very end.

EDIT: I'm currently working on a few drafts of Lore about The Elder Dragons, Himiko The Dragon Queen that raises the sun, The Crystal Empire, and a few other Dragon's that I already have the idea planned but I need to write it out.
ZPHN6ju.png
[size=2]happy new year writers, i wish you all a great year for your stuff!! [quote name="micahjaguar" date="2019-01-01 05:07:32" ] Look, a fresh new year with no mistakes in it yet! Isn't it lovely. <3 [/quote] [size=2][s]hah i love this[/s] my goal for the year is to finish AT LEAST one book, and get myself out there more, like on tumblr with my writing. i don't think i'm ready to publish yet, there's so much work to be done and i'm not rushing. i just want to be able to talk to more writing people and discuss our stories and feel more confident in my path! i'm feeling this year. 2018 was awesome, i grew and healed a lot. no stopping now >:3c
happy new year writers, i wish you all a great year for your stuff!!
micahjaguar wrote on 2019-01-01 05:07:32:
Look, a fresh new year with no mistakes in it yet! Isn't it lovely. <3
hah i love this

my goal for the year is to finish AT LEAST one book, and get myself out there more, like on tumblr with my writing. i don't think i'm ready to publish yet, there's so much work to be done and i'm not rushing. i just want to be able to talk to more writing people and discuss our stories and feel more confident in my path!
i'm feeling this year. 2018 was awesome, i grew and healed a lot. no stopping now >:3c
..................................... MUYNhfy.png
dEe2UrM.png

5hF3FGk.png
7Y0SkWr.png Np4NxIR.png
HZSRMw5.png
nL26Ewd.png
Hello and Happy New Year!

This year, I'm planning to finish the book I have been working on for so long. I've never made a new year's resolution before, so I hope My Resolution won't end up gathering dust alongside my manuscript.

I do think this year will be different. One of the many problems that kept me from writing my book was lack of a developed world and characters. I didn’t have a set magic system with rules, and a good world to tell my story in. I didn’t,t really have written personalities for my characters, which presented a problem. Also, I was trying to condense my whole concept into one book, a problem that would've made my book feel too rushed.

Also procrastination was a big problem. I'm sure I'm not alone in that department, but this year I want to conquer that (at least, for a little while). No one probably will be able to conquer procrastination for good, but there's always hope!

Happy writing to all! Have a good 2019
Hello and Happy New Year!

This year, I'm planning to finish the book I have been working on for so long. I've never made a new year's resolution before, so I hope My Resolution won't end up gathering dust alongside my manuscript.

I do think this year will be different. One of the many problems that kept me from writing my book was lack of a developed world and characters. I didn’t have a set magic system with rules, and a good world to tell my story in. I didn’t,t really have written personalities for my characters, which presented a problem. Also, I was trying to condense my whole concept into one book, a problem that would've made my book feel too rushed.

Also procrastination was a big problem. I'm sure I'm not alone in that department, but this year I want to conquer that (at least, for a little while). No one probably will be able to conquer procrastination for good, but there's always hope!

Happy writing to all! Have a good 2019
arcanesparkle.gifBasically Redoing my Clan's Lore- for the third time.arcanesparkle.gif
@micahjaguar:

Wow, that's a pretty full schedule.

For me now I have an actual office, the plan is basically get my book edited and find a publisher. And find a job in the meantime.
@micahjaguar:

Wow, that's a pretty full schedule.

For me now I have an actual office, the plan is basically get my book edited and find a publisher. And find a job in the meantime.
'Why are you frowning?' -Temeraire's first words.
9PO79Ra.png kBLPNEQ.png
Happy New Year!

Hey, so who remembers me constantly saying I'm going to try and continue that 30 Day writing challenge? Well, after 4 years, it's FINALLY done! I posted the last story last night.

2019 will be a mix of art and writing, so right now my only plan for January is pulling out the binder I had for one book idea and work on a few "pages" of it.

The second book idea has gone through so many changes I'm kind of glad I haven't started writing out a draft for it. But I won't worry about that story until February.

Also: Reading. More reading to be done in 2019. I managed to make my 100 books a year goal the last two years thanks to manga, but I don't want to rely on them too much this year. That and I have a ton of books collecting dust in my room I need to read. So my visits to the library will be few and far between.

Hope to have a productive 2019!
Happy New Year!

Hey, so who remembers me constantly saying I'm going to try and continue that 30 Day writing challenge? Well, after 4 years, it's FINALLY done! I posted the last story last night.

2019 will be a mix of art and writing, so right now my only plan for January is pulling out the binder I had for one book idea and work on a few "pages" of it.

The second book idea has gone through so many changes I'm kind of glad I haven't started writing out a draft for it. But I won't worry about that story until February.

Also: Reading. More reading to be done in 2019. I managed to make my 100 books a year goal the last two years thanks to manga, but I don't want to rely on them too much this year. That and I have a ton of books collecting dust in my room I need to read. So my visits to the library will be few and far between.

Hope to have a productive 2019!
axOkNaR.png
ZNhRsiG.png
@micahjaguar ahhh, 2019. Yep, gonna work on finding out for myself how much writing is like a real job. 2019 Plan: [LIST] [*]Push out book 1 of a collaborative Steampunk. Finish outline for the series. COme up with the DAGNABIT tagline so we can finish the stuff for the cover and publish. [*]Push out book 1 of the cozy mystery, developmental edit of book 2 in progress. [*]Develop both of my author name websites. [*]Attend Capricon as an attendee with some of my writer friends. [*]Work on attending Geneva Steam as an Author Guest, and be on some panels! [*]Learn a heck of a lot about publishing a book in the next two months! [/LIST] and find a good mate for my 4th gen Naomi descendent: [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=31061206] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/310613/31061206_350.png[/img] [/url]
@micahjaguar

ahhh, 2019. Yep, gonna work on finding out for myself how much writing is like a real job.

2019 Plan:

• Push out book 1 of a collaborative Steampunk. Finish outline for the series. COme up with the DAGNABIT tagline so we can finish the stuff for the cover and publish.
  • Push out book 1 of the cozy mystery, developmental edit of book 2 in progress.
  • Develop both of my author name websites.
  • Attend Capricon as an attendee with some of my writer friends.
  • Work on attending Geneva Steam as an Author Guest, and be on some panels!
  • Learn a heck of a lot about publishing a book in the next two months!

and find a good mate for my 4th gen Naomi descendent:

31061206_350.png

An open book that reads Stories & Poetry MJ 24uZeuhOu.pngBk78Myp.pngLaSYQ19.gif8d7o509.png
Well, of course I didn't get through the 30K word goal last month. But it was a pretty busy month.

This year, my writing resolution is to achieve at least 10K words a month until I finish something, which I think is pretty doable. I'm still focusing on the novel I got into last month as it is finally starting to (sort of) come together. I'm also considering really getting into that big project I have been working on since I was in high school.

I'm also going to start drawing daily, and try and really improve in that area. Maybe even look into going to school and making it a career.

Other goals include coming up with some sort of life plan and taking better care of my mental health, as well as to get more motivated and get my procrastination problem under (better) control.

@micahjaguar - That is one hecka busy schedule! But it must be nice, in a way, to be so busy.

@EmpressSectonia - That sounds like a stressful start to the year. I'm sorry you got suspended, and I hope it works out for the best!

@MysticalScribe - I've been having trouble developing the characters for one of my stories too. I have a pretty cool world (or at least I think so) set up but the characters in it were dull as dirt. So I've just been trying to focus on pounding out the plot and story, and I think they are finally starting to develop personalities as I go along.
Well, of course I didn't get through the 30K word goal last month. But it was a pretty busy month.

This year, my writing resolution is to achieve at least 10K words a month until I finish something, which I think is pretty doable. I'm still focusing on the novel I got into last month as it is finally starting to (sort of) come together. I'm also considering really getting into that big project I have been working on since I was in high school.

I'm also going to start drawing daily, and try and really improve in that area. Maybe even look into going to school and making it a career.

Other goals include coming up with some sort of life plan and taking better care of my mental health, as well as to get more motivated and get my procrastination problem under (better) control.

@micahjaguar - That is one hecka busy schedule! But it must be nice, in a way, to be so busy.

@EmpressSectonia - That sounds like a stressful start to the year. I'm sorry you got suspended, and I hope it works out for the best!

@MysticalScribe - I've been having trouble developing the characters for one of my stories too. I have a pretty cool world (or at least I think so) set up but the characters in it were dull as dirt. So I've just been trying to focus on pounding out the plot and story, and I think they are finally starting to develop personalities as I go along.
lF5nfl9.png tShJXZX.png
1 2 3 4