Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | The Stories of Windkeep Tower
1 2 ... 69 70 71 72 73 ... 78 79
@Petall Whew, I'm glad I only missed one update while I was away. Makes catching up easier. :D

Chapt. 134: I like how the Tundra breed's forgetfulness comes into play here (tbh, it's something I often forget for my own lore xD). I can't wait to see how their training will go. And wow, Tatum looks absolutely glorious now! That Fathomsearch jug suits her so well.

Chapt. 135: o__o Mggggh. Given Quartz' history, I wouldn't be surprised if he were building an army of his own to take Banella out. Although Nova seems less than trustworthy, too. "I'll make sure you stick to your word." -- that has a very ominous ring to it.

Also had a bit of an emotional seesaw with the rest of this chapter: going "Oh nooooo!!" when Sapphire and the secret passages were discovered, and then "Whew...?" when he got picked up by Dremasul and Draxxor. Never a dull moment with those two around!
@Petall Whew, I'm glad I only missed one update while I was away. Makes catching up easier. :D

Chapt. 134: I like how the Tundra breed's forgetfulness comes into play here (tbh, it's something I often forget for my own lore xD). I can't wait to see how their training will go. And wow, Tatum looks absolutely glorious now! That Fathomsearch jug suits her so well.

Chapt. 135: o__o Mggggh. Given Quartz' history, I wouldn't be surprised if he were building an army of his own to take Banella out. Although Nova seems less than trustworthy, too. "I'll make sure you stick to your word." -- that has a very ominous ring to it.

Also had a bit of an emotional seesaw with the rest of this chapter: going "Oh nooooo!!" when Sapphire and the secret passages were discovered, and then "Whew...?" when he got picked up by Dremasul and Draxxor. Never a dull moment with those two around!
Disillusionist's Lore & More .. {Free} bio resourcesLF Affiliates
female / INTJ / Capricorn / +16 FR time
Clan: FAQ | Stats | Lore Thread | Directory | Avatar
Wishlists: outfits & genes | general | familiars
Please check the spelling of my name when pinging me: @Disillusionist. Thanks!
@AlchemyFox

I mean, they haven't had time to think for themselves a lot, they haven't been forced to form their own opinions on things, they can just trail along behind their parents!

I'm sure Draxxor and Dremasul will figure it out eventually, they're getting pretty desperate! Otherwise the two of them wouldn't be resorting to kidnapping and blackmail in the first place!

Thanks for catching those typos! I have fixed them!
@AlchemyFox

I mean, they haven't had time to think for themselves a lot, they haven't been forced to form their own opinions on things, they can just trail along behind their parents!

I'm sure Draxxor and Dremasul will figure it out eventually, they're getting pretty desperate! Otherwise the two of them wouldn't be resorting to kidnapping and blackmail in the first place!

Thanks for catching those typos! I have fixed them!
b7742e507b7cf8e2cd71c4f2ffd5a17c3b9f9e2e.png 7ae5f576df9583faed137e7e0ca37146ab2a57b6.png
@Disillusionist

It helped that I was away too and wasn't continuing to church our a chapter a day! I'll be returning to that pace soon!

The tundra forgetfulness is one of the reasons I chose to breed-change her into a tundra! I often forget about it too (like when I made my clan's long-standing historian a tundra) but it's fun to explore when I get the chance! I keep meaning to do more with on-site lore but there is so much to remember!

Nova's very excited to finally have a clan that endorses her spending habits rather than suppresses them!

That is true, and that is even more so with both Draxxor and Dremasul together, given their history!
@Disillusionist

It helped that I was away too and wasn't continuing to church our a chapter a day! I'll be returning to that pace soon!

The tundra forgetfulness is one of the reasons I chose to breed-change her into a tundra! I often forget about it too (like when I made my clan's long-standing historian a tundra) but it's fun to explore when I get the chance! I keep meaning to do more with on-site lore but there is so much to remember!

Nova's very excited to finally have a clan that endorses her spending habits rather than suppresses them!

That is true, and that is even more so with both Draxxor and Dremasul together, given their history!
b7742e507b7cf8e2cd71c4f2ffd5a17c3b9f9e2e.png 7ae5f576df9583faed137e7e0ca37146ab2a57b6.png
----- [center][url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2383572/70#post_38998187]Previous[/url][/center] ----- [center][b][u]Chapter 136: Seeking the Lost[/u][/b] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=36377357] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/363774/36377357_350.png[/img] [/url] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=37751163] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/377512/37751163_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] Eclipse gritted her teeth as she prepared to strike Raizel. To her frustration, the tundra easily dodged her attack. This would be much easier to do if she had her lunar blade and didn't have to resort to training swords and her own talons, but even after months of training she had no such luck summoning her blade. "You were too slow, try again," Raizel said, provoking another surge of anger from Eclipse. While in some cases the other moon warrior's patience was a gift, it was beginning to get on her nerves. With every passing day, Windkeep Tower slipped further and further from salvation, she couldn't help but feel she was wasting her time here. From the other side of the clearing, Tatum burst into a a fit of giggles, rolling on the spongy ground in delight. [center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=51611366] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/516114/51611366_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] "Shut up, you aren't helping!" Eclipse spat, resisting the urge to turn on the young imperial and see how she handled that for a change. "Harsh words won't help either," Raizel pointed out calmly. Eclipse took a deep breath. She knew the moon warrior was right, but that didn't mean she liked it. "I just don't understand why my lunar blade hasn't returned yet! I'm beginning to think I'm not a real moon warrior after all," Eclipse confessed. "Nonsense, it runs in your veins. The ceremony binds it to your very soul. Your blade will return when you are ready, you simply must trust in your abilities," Raizel said, gazing sympathetically at the skydancer. "I guess you're right, I just wish it would hurry up," Eclipse growled, "I don't exactly have a lot of time." Just as she finished speaking Quaid bounded into the clearing carrying his catch of the day. He and his parents had stayed true to their word and spent the day hunting and helping out wherever possible. Eclipse wished they would take Tatum with them sometimes, but Raizel seemed to enjoy her company too much to encourage her to go along. [center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=47845661] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/478457/47845661_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] "Hey Eclipse, how's training going?" he asked in a chipper tone. Eclipse was surprise Quaid and his family had not yet grown bored of being stuck in one place so long. "Nothing's really changed," Eclipse admitted. "Aw, too bad. I was sure you'd get there this time..." For once Quaid did not have a snarky remark for his friend. "Hey, do you want to join me hunting?" Eclipse exchanged a glance with her mentor. "Go ahead, you've worked hard today, maybe some practical experience will do you some good," Raizel said with a smile. "Thank you. I'll see you later!" Eclipse exclaimed, bounding over to her friend, once more filled with energy. The two quickly made their way through the tunnel, energized by the thought of a hunt together. For all her years growing up in the Tangled Wood, Eclipse had never had the opportunity to truly enjoy the beauty of the darkness. Before, it had seemed suffocating. Now that she was free of her former clan, everything was different. She loved the comfort of the shadows, where no one could see her and she couldn't see anyone else. In the darkness, trust was everything, and she could trust Quaid completely. The two friends enjoyed an evening of hunting. Eclipse hardly noticed the passing time until, while chasing a duskrat, they burst into a clearing bathed in silver moonlight. The night sky stretched high above, the two moons at their very fullest. Eclipse slowed, captivated by its beauty. Quaid looked annoyed that his prey had escaped, but he too was soon enthralled by the brilliant night sky. "I can see what arcane dragons are all on about," Quaid breathed, "I thought they were just a bunch of crazy spellslingers." Eclipse didn't respond. She couldn't tear her gaze from the moons. For the first time since the ritual, her heart thrummed in her chest and she felt something powerful within her. She could not bask in the lunar glory for long, however. There was a loud crackling from the undergrowth of the forest beyond and a large dark shape burst into a clearing snarling. It was some sort of shadowy wolf. It's fangs were bared and dark goop dripped from its jowls. It advanced steadily on the two dragons, clearly ready to strike. Eclipse didn't have time to think. She barely had time to react. One minute the wolf was bursting in, the next she had a lunar sword in her talons and she was charging towards the wolf. There was no fear in her, only exhilaration and adrenaline. She hardly even cared that the beast was at least twice her size. "Eclipse, no!" Quaid exclaimed as she bolted towards the wolf. Eclipse could hardly hear him, she leaped and collided with the wolf, driving her blade through its chest. The wolf let out a yelp of pain and whined as the same black goop bled from the wound. It whimpered and turned, tail between its legs, and ran back into the depths of the forest. Eclipse stood in the moonlight, breathing heavily and trying to comprehend what had just happened. Her blade glowed in her talons, its weight proving its existence. She could hardly believe it. She did it. It was then that she noticed her fake blade from the shop had disappeared. She wasn't quite sure when she lost it. "Wow!" Quaid exclaimed, jaw hanging open. "That was-" "Amazing? Exhilarating? Fantastic?" Eclipse asked, a grin spreading across her face. "Ethereal!" Quaid said, "Seriously, Eclipse, I had no idea-" the wildclaw trailed off, shaking his head. "Well, what do you say? It's time to tell Raizel the good news." Eclipse grinned. She had never felt more alive. [center][img]https://orig00.deviantart.net/e0bf/f/2018/247/7/5/divider_by_cas_a_fras-dcm237t.png[/img] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=40974719] [img]http://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/dressing-room/dragon?did=40974719&skin=0&apparel=750,10380,26359,25793,25797,15736,3630,27765&xt=dressing.png[/img] [/url][/center] Quartz paced angrily, trying to find the words to say to his disobedient children. He had been disturbed from his afternoon nap by a report that Topaz and Garnet had wreaked habit on Windkeep Tower's marketplace. They had destroyed several booths and generally disrupted the order of the clan. Not to mention, they had disobeyed his direct orders and left the mansion without permission or protection. Quartz had never been more ashamed. "Just what were you two thinking, disobeying me like that! You know our rules exist for a reason, do you know have many enemies I have that would love to do you in just to get at me?" Quartz hissed. Topaz and Garnet met his gaze evenly. Neither had been properly in trouble before and it showed. It was time they learned some proper respect. [center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=51366344] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/513664/51366344_350.png[/img] [/url] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=51366343] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/513664/51366343_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] "We wanted to see more of the world," Garnet insisted, not blinking as she challenged her father, "Can you really blame us for that? How are we supposed to get stronger and know what we're doing if you won't let us see our kingdom? Our empire?" "Besides, it wasn't us! It was Sapphire who found the way out! We tried to stop him, truly!" Topaz insisted, clearly trying to cover his tracks, "I bet he's been sneaking out for months!" "And where is that spineless brother of yours? Did he join you in your escapades?" Quartz asked, eyes narrowed. "Of course not!" Topaz scoffed. "A weakling like him? Never. He would have just messed things up, like he always does," Garnet's eyes glinted with distaste as she mocked her younger brother, "We ditched him as soon as we left the mansion." "Has he not returned?" Quartz asked, surprised. Topaz and Garnet both shrugged and Quartz felt anger boil up within him again. "I'm telling you, he's an odd one," Garnet said. "Well, if he's truly gone, it's not much of a loss then. He doesn't know enough to be dangerous anyways." Quartz said, anger cooling. He flicked his tongue. "I'm just glad you both are safe, that's all that matters. I don't know what I would do without you two heirs. You are our future, leave your brother to his own devices." Garnet and Topaz grinned at each other. It was clear they were all too glad to no longer have their runt of a brother kicking around. There were more important things to do, and they had found the tunnels. With that, who knew what they could accomplish. It was nice to have a secret their father knew nothing about. ----- [center][url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2383572/71#post_39022452]Next[/url][/center] ----- [center]@CleverDual @Alwaid @zzzhorses @Amezrou @ScrivenerRook @Kizzan @clarax @lilastar @tigressRising @Disillusionist @Aetherstorm @rainphee @FallenEclipse @Tirtouga678 @catmeow1 @ShinyDecidueye @AlchemyFox @demitri[/center] ----- I had a lot of fun writing today's chapter. It's big chapters like this that are my favourite to write. Just a heads up, tomorrow's chapter is looking to be pretty long. I might end up breaking it up into multiple parts, but I think each section is short enough that I can put it all together in one extended chapter. I have most of the rest of this arc mapped out now, which I am pretty hyped about!

Chapter 136: Seeking the Lost

36377357_350.png

37751163_350.png

Eclipse gritted her teeth as she prepared to strike Raizel. To her frustration, the tundra easily dodged her attack. This would be much easier to do if she had her lunar blade and didn't have to resort to training swords and her own talons, but even after months of training she had no such luck summoning her blade.

"You were too slow, try again," Raizel said, provoking another surge of anger from Eclipse. While in some cases the other moon warrior's patience was a gift, it was beginning to get on her nerves. With every passing day, Windkeep Tower slipped further and further from salvation, she couldn't help but feel she was wasting her time here.

From the other side of the clearing, Tatum burst into a a fit of giggles, rolling on the spongy ground in delight.

"Shut up, you aren't helping!" Eclipse spat, resisting the urge to turn on the young imperial and see how she handled that for a change.

"Harsh words won't help either," Raizel pointed out calmly. Eclipse took a deep breath. She knew the moon warrior was right, but that didn't mean she liked it.

"I just don't understand why my lunar blade hasn't returned yet! I'm beginning to think I'm not a real moon warrior after all," Eclipse confessed.

"Nonsense, it runs in your veins. The ceremony binds it to your very soul. Your blade will return when you are ready, you simply must trust in your abilities," Raizel said, gazing sympathetically at the skydancer.

"I guess you're right, I just wish it would hurry up," Eclipse growled, "I don't exactly have a lot of time."

Just as she finished speaking Quaid bounded into the clearing carrying his catch of the day. He and his parents had stayed true to their word and spent the day hunting and helping out wherever possible. Eclipse wished they would take Tatum with them sometimes, but Raizel seemed to enjoy her company too much to encourage her to go along.

"Hey Eclipse, how's training going?" he asked in a chipper tone. Eclipse was surprise Quaid and his family had not yet grown bored of being stuck in one place so long.

"Nothing's really changed," Eclipse admitted.

"Aw, too bad. I was sure you'd get there this time..." For once Quaid did not have a snarky remark for his friend. "Hey, do you want to join me hunting?"

Eclipse exchanged a glance with her mentor.

"Go ahead, you've worked hard today, maybe some practical experience will do you some good," Raizel said with a smile.

"Thank you. I'll see you later!" Eclipse exclaimed, bounding over to her friend, once more filled with energy. The two quickly made their way through the tunnel, energized by the thought of a hunt together.

For all her years growing up in the Tangled Wood, Eclipse had never had the opportunity to truly enjoy the beauty of the darkness. Before, it had seemed suffocating. Now that she was free of her former clan, everything was different. She loved the comfort of the shadows, where no one could see her and she couldn't see anyone else. In the darkness, trust was everything, and she could trust Quaid completely.

The two friends enjoyed an evening of hunting. Eclipse hardly noticed the passing time until, while chasing a duskrat, they burst into a clearing bathed in silver moonlight. The night sky stretched high above, the two moons at their very fullest. Eclipse slowed, captivated by its beauty. Quaid looked annoyed that his prey had escaped, but he too was soon enthralled by the brilliant night sky.

"I can see what arcane dragons are all on about," Quaid breathed, "I thought they were just a bunch of crazy spellslingers."

Eclipse didn't respond. She couldn't tear her gaze from the moons. For the first time since the ritual, her heart thrummed in her chest and she felt something powerful within her.

She could not bask in the lunar glory for long, however. There was a loud crackling from the undergrowth of the forest beyond and a large dark shape burst into a clearing snarling. It was some sort of shadowy wolf. It's fangs were bared and dark goop dripped from its jowls. It advanced steadily on the two dragons, clearly ready to strike.

Eclipse didn't have time to think. She barely had time to react. One minute the wolf was bursting in, the next she had a lunar sword in her talons and she was charging towards the wolf. There was no fear in her, only exhilaration and adrenaline. She hardly even cared that the beast was at least twice her size.

"Eclipse, no!" Quaid exclaimed as she bolted towards the wolf. Eclipse could hardly hear him, she leaped and collided with the wolf, driving her blade through its chest. The wolf let out a yelp of pain and whined as the same black goop bled from the wound. It whimpered and turned, tail between its legs, and ran back into the depths of the forest.

Eclipse stood in the moonlight, breathing heavily and trying to comprehend what had just happened. Her blade glowed in her talons, its weight proving its existence. She could hardly believe it. She did it. It was then that she noticed her fake blade from the shop had disappeared. She wasn't quite sure when she lost it.

"Wow!" Quaid exclaimed, jaw hanging open. "That was-"

"Amazing? Exhilarating? Fantastic?" Eclipse asked, a grin spreading across her face.

"Ethereal!" Quaid said, "Seriously, Eclipse, I had no idea-" the wildclaw trailed off, shaking his head.

"Well, what do you say? It's time to tell Raizel the good news." Eclipse grinned. She had never felt more alive.

Quartz paced angrily, trying to find the words to say to his disobedient children. He had been disturbed from his afternoon nap by a report that Topaz and Garnet had wreaked habit on Windkeep Tower's marketplace. They had destroyed several booths and generally disrupted the order of the clan. Not to mention, they had disobeyed his direct orders and left the mansion without permission or protection. Quartz had never been more ashamed.

"Just what were you two thinking, disobeying me like that! You know our rules exist for a reason, do you know have many enemies I have that would love to do you in just to get at me?" Quartz hissed.

Topaz and Garnet met his gaze evenly. Neither had been properly in trouble before and it showed. It was time they learned some proper respect.

"We wanted to see more of the world," Garnet insisted, not blinking as she challenged her father, "Can you really blame us for that? How are we supposed to get stronger and know what we're doing if you won't let us see our kingdom? Our empire?"

"Besides, it wasn't us! It was Sapphire who found the way out! We tried to stop him, truly!" Topaz insisted, clearly trying to cover his tracks, "I bet he's been sneaking out for months!"

"And where is that spineless brother of yours? Did he join you in your escapades?" Quartz asked, eyes narrowed.

"Of course not!" Topaz scoffed.

"A weakling like him? Never. He would have just messed things up, like he always does," Garnet's eyes glinted with distaste as she mocked her younger brother, "We ditched him as soon as we left the mansion."

"Has he not returned?" Quartz asked, surprised. Topaz and Garnet both shrugged and Quartz felt anger boil up within him again.

"I'm telling you, he's an odd one," Garnet said.

"Well, if he's truly gone, it's not much of a loss then. He doesn't know enough to be dangerous anyways." Quartz said, anger cooling. He flicked his tongue. "I'm just glad you both are safe, that's all that matters. I don't know what I would do without you two heirs. You are our future, leave your brother to his own devices."

Garnet and Topaz grinned at each other. It was clear they were all too glad to no longer have their runt of a brother kicking around. There were more important things to do, and they had found the tunnels. With that, who knew what they could accomplish.

It was nice to have a secret their father knew nothing about.

I had a lot of fun writing today's chapter. It's big chapters like this that are my favourite to write.

Just a heads up, tomorrow's chapter is looking to be pretty long. I might end up breaking it up into multiple parts, but I think each section is short enough that I can put it all together in one extended chapter. I have most of the rest of this arc mapped out now, which I am pretty hyped about!
@Petall Things are moving pretty fast! Nice to see that Eclipse is making progress (and I had to lol at Tatum's giggling), plus Quartz and his Happy Little Family are also entering strange new territory of their own. I almost feel sorry for Quartz trying to control his kids. Almost. They take after him so much. xD
@Petall Things are moving pretty fast! Nice to see that Eclipse is making progress (and I had to lol at Tatum's giggling), plus Quartz and his Happy Little Family are also entering strange new territory of their own. I almost feel sorry for Quartz trying to control his kids. Almost. They take after him so much. xD
@Disillusionist Quartz and Banella kinda asked for it by training their kiddos to be just like them! If Rubywing had turned out more like Quartz, maybe he would have been more reluctant to train Garnet the same way! [emoji=coatl tongue size=2]
@Disillusionist

Quartz and Banella kinda asked for it by training their kiddos to be just like them! If Rubywing had turned out more like Quartz, maybe he would have been more reluctant to train Garnet the same way!
----- [center][url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2383572/71#post_39017090]Previous[/url][/center] ----- [center][b][u]Chapter 137: The Missing Prince[/u][/b] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=49062279] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/490623/49062279_350.png[/img] [/url] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=49197767] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/491978/49197767_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] "You wanted to see me?" Kipling asked, fluttering into Winterstone's lair and taking a seat in front of the wildclaw. Winterstone smiled slightly as he entered, but her eyes betrayed the heaviness of the concern. "Yes, I'm afraid we don't have much longer. We'll have to act soon," Winterstone sighed, "We aren't nearly as ready as I hoped we would be, but the disappearance of the third prince is most definitely going to spur Quartz's conquest. Besides, we've dallied too long already. Greenskeeper Gathering is almost upon us and it's been a year since your return. Not to mention, a rich supporter of our cause has recently donated a huge sum of money to our cause, it will buy us enough supplies and warriors to stand a chance." "Why are you telling me this?" Kipling asked, feeling his heart beat faster. he hardly felt prepared to fight, let alone against Quartz and his entire undead army. "Because you are the closest thing Fenn and Elric had to an heir, and if no sign of them has been seen, than I fear they are truly gone. You must be prepared to take your place on the throne," Winterstone explained. "But-" Kipling's head was spinning. Him? King? He knew that was a possibility, but he had foolishly hoped his parents would swoop in at the last moment and heroically boot Quartz and Banella from the throne. "What about Eclipse?" He blurted, "Weren't we going to wait until she returned?" "It has been months and no one has heard any news of your moon warrior friend," Winterstone reminded him, "India has been keeping an ear out for you, as you know, and she has heard nothing. Perhaps it is time to admit she may not be coming back." "How can you be so pessimistic?!" Kipling asked, indignant. His fear was churning inside him, making him angry, "have you lost all hope? We have a plan! we need to stick to it! We aren't ready for this, we'll be slaughtered where we stand!" "I am not being pessimistic, I am being realistic. If we aren't ready by now, we'll never truly be ready, and as we wait, Quartz continues to accumulate power!" Winterstone said, tone rising as well. That was when Kipling saw her own fear in her dark, wide eyes. "We will use these funds to recruit from Windkeep Tower and then we will strike, that is that. This is not your call to make." Kipling's throat was too dry to speak. He simply nodded. "You are dismissed," Winterstone said, clearly struggling to regain her composure, and Kipling suddenly felt a whole new level of respect for the leader of the rebellion. She was a great leader, and that meant she had to make the hard choices. She had lost so much, and yet she kept fighting, as if her losses fueled her determination. Kipling wondered if he would be a leader like that. Somehow, he doubted he had the same inner strength Winterstone said. Wishing he knew what to say to comfort the wildclaw, but knowing there was nothing to do, Kipling decided to give her space. He left without another word, set on finding Rori and Luster. It was time they heard about all of this, and they could enjoy their last remaining time together before the fight. None of them were guaranteed to come out alive on the other side. Kipling, however, was distracted by the sound of sobbing coming from the training room. He paused, hovering in the air, trying to see if he could make out who it was. Then he realized it didn't matter who it was; someone was hurting, and he could help them. Rori and Luster could wait. he flew into the training room to see Yuu bawling on the floor, a sword halfway across the room, clearly thrown in frustration. [center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=51611364] [img]http://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/dressing-room/dragon?did=51611364&skin=0&apparel=2565,15740,27905,27910,25034&xt=dressing.png[/img] [/url][/center] "What's wrong?" Kipling asked, fluttering over to the young wildclaw and lighting down in front of her. She was still not yet at her full size, and with her sitting down it was much easier to make eye contact with her than with larger dragons. "I hate this! I hate training! I hate fighting! I'm no good at it!" Yuu sobbed, hardly looking at the fae trying to comfort her. Kipling's heart broke for her. "I don't see why my parents are forcing me to do this!" "Your parents are just trying to train you so that you can defend yourself if something happens," Kipling said calmly, "They want you to be safe." "I know, but I just can't do it! I don't have the dexterity or the strength, the thought of physically hurting another dragons makes me want to cry!" Yuu sniffed, "I hate this war! I hate this rebellion! Why did I have to stay! Why couldn't I have gone off like my brothers!" "Hey," Kipling said, fluttering up to her face to wipe her tears, "It's all going to be okay in the end, you'll see." He desperately hoped what he was saying was true. "Do you really wish your parents had sent you away?" "No," Yuu sighed, "I'm glad I got to stay, but I'm just tired of all this training and all this fear. I just want to settle down and, I don't know, open a tea shop or something." "Hey, you've been looking into herbal remedies, right?" Kipling suddenly had an idea. "Maybe you could be focusing your training energy into learning how to be a healer, in case we need on for the rebellion!" "Yeah!" Yuu said, seeming to perk up a little, "I've learned a lot of cool things while learning to make my tea!" Then she seemed to deflate. "But I don't have access to a lot of plants. It's low priority in comparison to food and other supplies." "Tell you what, how would you like to explore a bit of Windkeep Tower?" Kipling offered. "I could take you to the gardens and we can see what we can find for your tea and remedies!" Kipling knew it was a risk, leaving the Underground, but he also knew Yuu had never been properly outside in her entire life. Besides, the gardens were out of the way, surely they wouldn't run into any trouble there. Not to mention, with the rebellion on the rise, he could do with some fresh air himself, he was getting antsy. "Would you really?" Yuu asked, eyes lighting up. "Of course!" Kipling said with a smile. He briefly considered bringing Luster and Rori into this adventure, but he realized it would probably be safer traveling in smaller numbers. It felt weird doing something like this without his closest friends, but between Rori's size and Luster's tendency to attract any kind of trouble in a ten mile radius, he knew he had to leave them out. Besides, he wouldn't be out long. What could possibly go wrong? [center][img]https://orig00.deviantart.net/e0bf/f/2018/247/7/5/divider_by_cas_a_fras-dcm237t.png[/img][/center] Yuu couldn't describe the feeling of actually stretching her wings and soaring through the air, feeling the wind on her scales properly for the first time in her life. She was ecstatic to the point of giddiness, she had almost forgotten why she came out here in the first place until Kipling lead her into the gardens. Yuu's eyes widened, she had never seen so many plants in her life! Cherry blossom trees filled the grove, and lush flowers and greenery grew abundantly between the trunks. A gentle stream gurgled nearby, its clear water tumbling over round stones. "Kipling, it's beautiful!" Yuu exclaimed, hardly daring to tear her eyes off such beauty, even just to look the fae in the eye. There were so many plants she recognized, and yet so many that she didn't. She had a feeling there was enough here to last her a lifetime. "So you like it?" Kipling asked. Yuu felt his weight upon her shoulder as he lighted down. Still not having yet reached her full size, the fae took up most of her back. "Like it? Kipling, I love it! Thank you for bringing me here!" Yuu gushed, rushing over to examine a bush of vibrant purple flowers. "Once we win the war, you'll be able to come here anytime you want, and you can use the plants here to open that tea shop you were talking about." While Kipling was usually calm, this was the most relaxed Yuu had ever seen the fae. "This is why we're fighting." Yuu breathed, the revelation dawning on her for the first time. Having been born underground, it was easy enough to get consumed in the monotony of it all, falling into the routine of tedious and vigorous training without a clear cause but the stories her parents had told her. Now that she could see the beauty of Windkeep Tower, the beauty she was barred from, she could see why everyone underground was pushing so hard to get it back. Yuu was so caught up in her epiphany that she hardly noticed the appearance of a third dragon until Kipling's weight disappeared from her back. She spun around to see a mirror dressed in mechanical rags and holding a net that held her escort. [center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=39431677] [img]http://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/dressing-room/dragon?did=39431677&skin=0&apparel=23718,23584,27201,2973&xt=dressing.png[/img] [/url][/center] "I thought I sensed your elemental signature, princey," The mirror gave a toothy grin, "Quartz has been looking high and low for you! And it looks like I'm going to get a mighty bounty for bringing you in!" Suddenly, adrenaline began to course through Yuu and she sprung at the mirror, ready to fight to win back her friend. The mirror, however, was too fast. he was ready to meet her, and Yuu felt blinding pain over her left eye as the mirror raked his claws down her face. Yuu let out a yelp of pain and stepped back, clutching her face in her talons. She was so distracted by the pain that by the time she was able to look up again, the mirror and Kipling were gone. In her panic, Yuu forgot the way that she and Kipling had come. Crippled by fear, she hid herself away in the bushes and began to sob again, her tears mixing with the blood dripping down her face. It felt like ages until someone found her. At the sound of another wildclaw landing on the grass beside her, she jumped, and pressed herself deeper into the bushes, hoping the newcomer didn't see her. She was not so lucky. "Hey, are you okay? Are you Yuu? Querida contacted me and sent me to find you after you went missing." A gentle voice sounded above the young wildclaw. Yuu turned and looked into the concerned face of a brown wildclaw. [center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=42353366] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/423534/42353366_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] "Who are you?" Yuu asked. "I'm Rammus, Querida's biological son. It's okay, you can trust me. I'm on your side." The wildclaw soothed. "I didn't even know there was an official rebellion against Quartz, but you learn something new every day!" Yuu stared up at Rammus, too tired and scared and in pain to properly respond. "Come on, let's get you home, and then we can get that wound looked at, it looks pretty nasty." Rammus said, hoisting the young wildclaw onto his back. She didn't fight it, she was too tired to give anything anymore effort. After making sure she was secure, he kicked off the ground and into the sky. "Where's Kipling?" Rammus asked after they had flown a little ways. Guilt pierced Yuu like the blade of a sword. "He's gone. He was taken," She rasped, voice cracking, "It was my fault, I couldn't stop it, and he was helping me." "Hey, don't blame yourself for this, okay? There are a lot of forces out there that seek to harm dragons like you and Kipling right now. It would take a lot more than just one dragon to stop it." Rammus reassured. Yuu didn't have the energy to respond. Finally feeling safe and secure, her adrenaline faded and she slipped into unconsciousness. [center][img]https://orig00.deviantart.net/e0bf/f/2018/247/7/5/divider_by_cas_a_fras-dcm237t.png[/img] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=40974719] [img]http://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/dressing-room/dragon?did=40974719&skin=0&apparel=750,10380,26359,25793,25797,15736,3630,27765&xt=dressing.png[/img] [/url] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=41173788] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/411738/41173788_350.png[/img] [/url] [/center] "Well, well, well, what have we here?" Quartz flicked his tongue in satisfaction as he paced in front of Kipling. Upon his arrival in the disused wine cellar, Kipling had been frozen to the ground by Rhowen, who was now standing to the side in some kind of trance, his eyes glowing the same red as the ruby ring bound to his tail. Quartz had ordered he not be completely frozen until he had the chance to talk to him. Kipling didn't respond. He shivered in the cold, and tried not to look at Desertstone, who was staring at him with greedy eyes, clearly awaiting his reward after capturing such a valuable prisoner. "Fenn and Elric's precious son," Quartz purred once he realized he wasn't getting a reaction, "reunited at last." That was when Kipling looked over his shoulder to look at the large ice block behind him more closely. To his horror, he saw his parents encased in the ice. The sight of it made his heart plummet, but he had to stay strong in the face of Quartz. "Where have you been hiding, little one? What have you and your friends been up to?" Quartz asked, drawing his face closer. Kipling refused to speak, or even flinch. Quartz sighed, "I guess it doesn't truly matter. Now that I've met Desertstone, he's going to build me the ultimate weapon and then my conquest can truly begin. We'll wipe out anything that stands in out way." Kipling shivered, but he wasn't sure if it was from fear or the cold. He supposed it could very easily be both. Suddenly, loud footsteps thundered on the stairs and Banella burst into the room, her face twisted into a look of fury. [center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=33201295] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/332013/33201295_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] "Why didn't you tell me we had captured the prince, dearest?" Banella said, her voice sickly sweet. "My beloved, I wanted to surprise you!" Quartz insisted, pasting a fake smile on his face, "He's only just arrived, you haven't missed much. You can be here for the final freezing." Banella's eyes flashed, but she said nothing her. The queen then fixed her gaze on Kipling. Suddenly, he felt something grow warm in his pocket. Kipling tilted his head to see a small hourglass in his pocket glowing. He had forgotten to give it back to Rori, and had been carrying it around ever since they got back. Banella's face twisted into a smile as she surged forward and pulled the necklace out of Kipling's pocket. "Oh yes!" Banella exclaimed. After taking a moment to admire it, she put it on. In a flash of light, she disappeared, and Kipling could not keep the shock and horror off of his face. Where had Banella gone? Why had she disappeared? Who had activated the time machine? What was going to happen now? Kipling didn't have time to contemplate this. Quartz too turned to the fae, his own shock still evident on his face. "What did you do with my wife?" He asked, then his face softened, "Oh never you mind, I'm glad you got her out of my way. She was a nuisance anyways. Rhowen, finish the job." Quartz stepped back and the icy coatl stepped forward to take his place. Kipling stared helplessly into his merciless red eyes. This was a dragon he had once dined with regularly, a valued part of the clan he considered family. Yet another good soul twisted by Quartz's greed and ambition. His last thoughts, as the bitter cold dulled his senses and sent him into darkness, was a flicker of hope that Winterstone was right, and that they would win in the imminent fight against Quartz. [center][img]https://orig00.deviantart.net/e0bf/f/2018/247/7/5/divider_by_cas_a_fras-dcm237t.png[/img] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=28254965] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/282550/28254965_350.png[/img] [/url] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=28306331] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/283064/28306331_350.png[/img] [/url] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=51366345] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/513664/51366345_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] Sapphire didn't feel much like a prisoner. He was not bound in any way, but sat freely on the bed on the edge of the room. Sure, Dremasul's house on the top of the tower was far from the elegance and extravagance of his parents' mansion, but there was something far more comforting about it. It felt lived in, like it actually belonged to someone. It felt more like a home. Still, Sapphire didn't have the time to contemplate the ins and outs of Dremasul and his living habits. He was growing exasperated with his 'captors' hushed tones and suspicious stares as they discussed whether or not they could trust him or just how they wanted to use them. "I'm still not sure we can trust him, he is Quartz and Banella's son. We have to be careful, otherwise we'll lose everything we're working for," Dremasul whispered. "I'm telling you, his soul is clean, his intentions are pure!" Draxxor hissed. "Yeah, well your soul readings aren't always one hundred percent accurate," Dremasul hissed back. "Oh yeah? Well, they seemed pretty right about you!" Draxxor's tone was rising in anger. "You know I can hear every word you're saying," Sapphire pointed out, slightly amused at the shock on their faces as he spoke, "I'm right here you know." "Right, yes, of course," Dremasul smiled, "I'm sorry, it's just, you can never be too careful these days. If you want to go, you can, we're not keeping you here." "Speak for yourself!" Draxxor huffed, "I think a war prisoner is an excellent idea!" "You're doing it again," Dremasul hissed at Draxxor, "I thought your vigilante days were over." "Well, desperate times call for desperate measures!" Draxxor hissed back. "Look, I don't know what you're looking for, but if you trust me, maybe I'll be able to help. I know all the secrets of the mansion and I hate my father as much as you do, if not more," Sapphire piped up, "I'm friends with Ruby, she's told me all about the days before my parents took over. I want to help bring them back." "See? He's telling the truth," Draxxor waved a hand at Sapphire. Dremasul rolled his eyes. "Alright," Dremasul sighed, "We're looking for the former king and queen of Windkeep Tower. Their disappearance was out of character, and we think it has something to do with your parents." "What do the king and queen look like?" Sapphire asked, some half-forgotten memory from his hatchlinghood rising from the surface. "Fenn is a pink fae with blue wings, and her husband, Elric, is a purple guardian in golden armor." Dremasul explained. As he gave the description of the former royals, everything jolted into place. Sapphire could remember his excursion into the wind cellar of the mansion as if it were yesterday. "I think I know where they are," Sapphire said, breath catching in his throat. He opened his mouth to share his memory with the two wildclaws when there was a knock at the door. "Hide him!" Draxxor hissed to Dremasul as she moved to get the door. Dremasul leaped into action and shoved Sapphire into the next room, closing the door behind him. From his place in the darkness of the second room, Sapphire could hear the door opening and the footsteps of what sounded like a wildclaw. "Rammus! What are you doing here?" Dremasul asked, surprised, "I didn't think you were coming until mail time!" "I have news. There's an underground rebellion against Quartz, and they are going to be fighting against him very soon," The dragon called Rammus explained, "Have you had any luck with your project?" "Actually, we've just had a breakthrough!" Draxxor exclaimed, "Or at least, we hope so. Sapphire, do you want to come out? It's okay, we can trust him." Sapphire opened the door with a creak and stepped into the other room. Things were really getting exciting now, and he was glad he was on the right side of the fight! [center][img]https://orig00.deviantart.net/e0bf/f/2018/247/7/5/divider_by_cas_a_fras-dcm237t.png[/img] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=42353367] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/423534/42353367_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] Rubywing sat at her desk, feeling hopeless. She had just heard of Kipling's kidnapping, and it seemed all hope really was lost. She scarcely knew what she was going to do, or what she could do to help. She didn't even have Sapphire here to encourage her. She was worried about him, it wasn't like her brother to disappear like this. There was only one glimmer of hope left, but even that was dwindling. Her heart skipped a beat as she heard a knock on the window. Ruby immediately leaped to her feet and opened it. The gap was only just wide enough for Rammus to slip in. "So, you've finally decided to stop hiding away and reveal your location!" Rammus grinned. Ruby wished she could share in his joy. She knew even calling him here was putting his life at risk after Quartz's threats, especially considering the occasion. "Look, times are getting desperate. I can't stand how our father is ruling anymore. We have to do something, I don't know what, but I can't stand by and let this happen any longer!" Ruby was growing frantic, and she began pacing. "Hey, sis, calm down!" Rammus soothed, stopping Ruby in her tracks and resting his hands on her cheeks, "Breathe with me, everything is going to be okay." The two took some deep breaths until Rubywing had calmed down again. "Hey, I have some good news," Rammus reassured, "There's going to be an attack against Quartz very soon. Apparently there's been an underground resistance growing for quite some time, and they have put out a recruitment call for the final battle. Tomorrow morning, every resident of Windkeep Tower is going to wake up with a note on their doorstep: pick a side, and stand and fight for our clan." Ruby couldn't help it. A joyful sob escaped her throat. Maybe, just maybe, Windkeep Tower wouldn't be under the control of her father for very much longer. ----- [center][url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2383572/72#post_39033393]Next[/url][/center] ----- [center] @CleverDual @Alwaid @zzzhorses @Amezrou @ScrivenerRook @Kizzan @clarax @lilastar @tigressRising @Disillusionist @Aetherstorm @rainphee @FallenEclipse @Tirtouga678 @catmeow1 @ShinyDecidueye @AlchemyFox @demitri[/center] ----- See, I told you today's chapter is pretty long, but there are some pretty big things happening in it! We are very much nearing the endgame.

Chapter 137: The Missing Prince

49062279_350.png

49197767_350.png

"You wanted to see me?" Kipling asked, fluttering into Winterstone's lair and taking a seat in front of the wildclaw. Winterstone smiled slightly as he entered, but her eyes betrayed the heaviness of the concern.

"Yes, I'm afraid we don't have much longer. We'll have to act soon," Winterstone sighed, "We aren't nearly as ready as I hoped we would be, but the disappearance of the third prince is most definitely going to spur Quartz's conquest. Besides, we've dallied too long already. Greenskeeper Gathering is almost upon us and it's been a year since your return. Not to mention, a rich supporter of our cause has recently donated a huge sum of money to our cause, it will buy us enough supplies and warriors to stand a chance."

"Why are you telling me this?" Kipling asked, feeling his heart beat faster. he hardly felt prepared to fight, let alone against Quartz and his entire undead army.

"Because you are the closest thing Fenn and Elric had to an heir, and if no sign of them has been seen, than I fear they are truly gone. You must be prepared to take your place on the throne," Winterstone explained.

"But-" Kipling's head was spinning. Him? King? He knew that was a possibility, but he had foolishly hoped his parents would swoop in at the last moment and heroically boot Quartz and Banella from the throne. "What about Eclipse?" He blurted, "Weren't we going to wait until she returned?"

"It has been months and no one has heard any news of your moon warrior friend," Winterstone reminded him, "India has been keeping an ear out for you, as you know, and she has heard nothing. Perhaps it is time to admit she may not be coming back."

"How can you be so pessimistic?!" Kipling asked, indignant. His fear was churning inside him, making him angry, "have you lost all hope? We have a plan! we need to stick to it! We aren't ready for this, we'll be slaughtered where we stand!"

"I am not being pessimistic, I am being realistic. If we aren't ready by now, we'll never truly be ready, and as we wait, Quartz continues to accumulate power!" Winterstone said, tone rising as well. That was when Kipling saw her own fear in her dark, wide eyes. "We will use these funds to recruit from Windkeep Tower and then we will strike, that is that. This is not your call to make."

Kipling's throat was too dry to speak. He simply nodded.

"You are dismissed," Winterstone said, clearly struggling to regain her composure, and Kipling suddenly felt a whole new level of respect for the leader of the rebellion. She was a great leader, and that meant she had to make the hard choices. She had lost so much, and yet she kept fighting, as if her losses fueled her determination. Kipling wondered if he would be a leader like that. Somehow, he doubted he had the same inner strength Winterstone said.

Wishing he knew what to say to comfort the wildclaw, but knowing there was nothing to do, Kipling decided to give her space. He left without another word, set on finding Rori and Luster. It was time they heard about all of this, and they could enjoy their last remaining time together before the fight. None of them were guaranteed to come out alive on the other side.

Kipling, however, was distracted by the sound of sobbing coming from the training room. He paused, hovering in the air, trying to see if he could make out who it was. Then he realized it didn't matter who it was; someone was hurting, and he could help them. Rori and Luster could wait. he flew into the training room to see Yuu bawling on the floor, a sword halfway across the room, clearly thrown in frustration.

"What's wrong?" Kipling asked, fluttering over to the young wildclaw and lighting down in front of her. She was still not yet at her full size, and with her sitting down it was much easier to make eye contact with her than with larger dragons.

"I hate this! I hate training! I hate fighting! I'm no good at it!" Yuu sobbed, hardly looking at the fae trying to comfort her. Kipling's heart broke for her. "I don't see why my parents are forcing me to do this!"

"Your parents are just trying to train you so that you can defend yourself if something happens," Kipling said calmly, "They want you to be safe."

"I know, but I just can't do it! I don't have the dexterity or the strength, the thought of physically hurting another dragons makes me want to cry!" Yuu sniffed, "I hate this war! I hate this rebellion! Why did I have to stay! Why couldn't I have gone off like my brothers!"

"Hey," Kipling said, fluttering up to her face to wipe her tears, "It's all going to be okay in the end, you'll see." He desperately hoped what he was saying was true. "Do you really wish your parents had sent you away?"

"No," Yuu sighed, "I'm glad I got to stay, but I'm just tired of all this training and all this fear. I just want to settle down and, I don't know, open a tea shop or something."

"Hey, you've been looking into herbal remedies, right?" Kipling suddenly had an idea. "Maybe you could be focusing your training energy into learning how to be a healer, in case we need on for the rebellion!"

"Yeah!" Yuu said, seeming to perk up a little, "I've learned a lot of cool things while learning to make my tea!" Then she seemed to deflate. "But I don't have access to a lot of plants. It's low priority in comparison to food and other supplies."

"Tell you what, how would you like to explore a bit of Windkeep Tower?" Kipling offered. "I could take you to the gardens and we can see what we can find for your tea and remedies!"

Kipling knew it was a risk, leaving the Underground, but he also knew Yuu had never been properly outside in her entire life. Besides, the gardens were out of the way, surely they wouldn't run into any trouble there. Not to mention, with the rebellion on the rise, he could do with some fresh air himself, he was getting antsy.

"Would you really?" Yuu asked, eyes lighting up.

"Of course!" Kipling said with a smile. He briefly considered bringing Luster and Rori into this adventure, but he realized it would probably be safer traveling in smaller numbers. It felt weird doing something like this without his closest friends, but between Rori's size and Luster's tendency to attract any kind of trouble in a ten mile radius, he knew he had to leave them out.

Besides, he wouldn't be out long. What could possibly go wrong?

divider_by_cas_a_fras-dcm237t.png

Yuu couldn't describe the feeling of actually stretching her wings and soaring through the air, feeling the wind on her scales properly for the first time in her life. She was ecstatic to the point of giddiness, she had almost forgotten why she came out here in the first place until Kipling lead her into the gardens.

Yuu's eyes widened, she had never seen so many plants in her life! Cherry blossom trees filled the grove, and lush flowers and greenery grew abundantly between the trunks. A gentle stream gurgled nearby, its clear water tumbling over round stones.

"Kipling, it's beautiful!" Yuu exclaimed, hardly daring to tear her eyes off such beauty, even just to look the fae in the eye. There were so many plants she recognized, and yet so many that she didn't. She had a feeling there was enough here to last her a lifetime.

"So you like it?" Kipling asked. Yuu felt his weight upon her shoulder as he lighted down. Still not having yet reached her full size, the fae took up most of her back.

"Like it? Kipling, I love it! Thank you for bringing me here!" Yuu gushed, rushing over to examine a bush of vibrant purple flowers.

"Once we win the war, you'll be able to come here anytime you want, and you can use the plants here to open that tea shop you were talking about." While Kipling was usually calm, this was the most relaxed Yuu had ever seen the fae.

"This is why we're fighting." Yuu breathed, the revelation dawning on her for the first time.

Having been born underground, it was easy enough to get consumed in the monotony of it all, falling into the routine of tedious and vigorous training without a clear cause but the stories her parents had told her. Now that she could see the beauty of Windkeep Tower, the beauty she was barred from, she could see why everyone underground was pushing so hard to get it back.

Yuu was so caught up in her epiphany that she hardly noticed the appearance of a third dragon until Kipling's weight disappeared from her back. She spun around to see a mirror dressed in mechanical rags and holding a net that held her escort.

"I thought I sensed your elemental signature, princey," The mirror gave a toothy grin, "Quartz has been looking high and low for you! And it looks like I'm going to get a mighty bounty for bringing you in!"

Suddenly, adrenaline began to course through Yuu and she sprung at the mirror, ready to fight to win back her friend. The mirror, however, was too fast. he was ready to meet her, and Yuu felt blinding pain over her left eye as the mirror raked his claws down her face. Yuu let out a yelp of pain and stepped back, clutching her face in her talons. She was so distracted by the pain that by the time she was able to look up again, the mirror and Kipling were gone.

In her panic, Yuu forgot the way that she and Kipling had come. Crippled by fear, she hid herself away in the bushes and began to sob again, her tears mixing with the blood dripping down her face.

It felt like ages until someone found her. At the sound of another wildclaw landing on the grass beside her, she jumped, and pressed herself deeper into the bushes, hoping the newcomer didn't see her. She was not so lucky.

"Hey, are you okay? Are you Yuu? Querida contacted me and sent me to find you after you went missing." A gentle voice sounded above the young wildclaw. Yuu turned and looked into the concerned face of a brown wildclaw.

"Who are you?" Yuu asked.

"I'm Rammus, Querida's biological son. It's okay, you can trust me. I'm on your side." The wildclaw soothed. "I didn't even know there was an official rebellion against Quartz, but you learn something new every day!"

Yuu stared up at Rammus, too tired and scared and in pain to properly respond.

"Come on, let's get you home, and then we can get that wound looked at, it looks pretty nasty." Rammus said, hoisting the young wildclaw onto his back. She didn't fight it, she was too tired to give anything anymore effort. After making sure she was secure, he kicked off the ground and into the sky.

"Where's Kipling?" Rammus asked after they had flown a little ways. Guilt pierced Yuu like the blade of a sword.

"He's gone. He was taken," She rasped, voice cracking, "It was my fault, I couldn't stop it, and he was helping me."

"Hey, don't blame yourself for this, okay? There are a lot of forces out there that seek to harm dragons like you and Kipling right now. It would take a lot more than just one dragon to stop it." Rammus reassured.

Yuu didn't have the energy to respond. Finally feeling safe and secure, her adrenaline faded and she slipped into unconsciousness.

"Well, well, well, what have we here?" Quartz flicked his tongue in satisfaction as he paced in front of Kipling. Upon his arrival in the disused wine cellar, Kipling had been frozen to the ground by Rhowen, who was now standing to the side in some kind of trance, his eyes glowing the same red as the ruby ring bound to his tail. Quartz had ordered he not be completely frozen until he had the chance to talk to him.

Kipling didn't respond. He shivered in the cold, and tried not to look at Desertstone, who was staring at him with greedy eyes, clearly awaiting his reward after capturing such a valuable prisoner.

"Fenn and Elric's precious son," Quartz purred once he realized he wasn't getting a reaction, "reunited at last."

That was when Kipling looked over his shoulder to look at the large ice block behind him more closely. To his horror, he saw his parents encased in the ice. The sight of it made his heart plummet, but he had to stay strong in the face of Quartz.

"Where have you been hiding, little one? What have you and your friends been up to?" Quartz asked, drawing his face closer. Kipling refused to speak, or even flinch. Quartz sighed, "I guess it doesn't truly matter. Now that I've met Desertstone, he's going to build me the ultimate weapon and then my conquest can truly begin. We'll wipe out anything that stands in out way."

Kipling shivered, but he wasn't sure if it was from fear or the cold. He supposed it could very easily be both.

Suddenly, loud footsteps thundered on the stairs and Banella burst into the room, her face twisted into a look of fury.

"Why didn't you tell me we had captured the prince, dearest?" Banella said, her voice sickly sweet.

"My beloved, I wanted to surprise you!" Quartz insisted, pasting a fake smile on his face, "He's only just arrived, you haven't missed much. You can be here for the final freezing."

Banella's eyes flashed, but she said nothing her. The queen then fixed her gaze on Kipling. Suddenly, he felt something grow warm in his pocket. Kipling tilted his head to see a small hourglass in his pocket glowing. He had forgotten to give it back to Rori, and had been carrying it around ever since they got back. Banella's face twisted into a smile as she surged forward and pulled the necklace out of Kipling's pocket.

"Oh yes!" Banella exclaimed. After taking a moment to admire it, she put it on. In a flash of light, she disappeared, and Kipling could not keep the shock and horror off of his face. Where had Banella gone? Why had she disappeared? Who had activated the time machine? What was going to happen now?

Kipling didn't have time to contemplate this. Quartz too turned to the fae, his own shock still evident on his face.

"What did you do with my wife?" He asked, then his face softened, "Oh never you mind, I'm glad you got her out of my way. She was a nuisance anyways. Rhowen, finish the job."

Quartz stepped back and the icy coatl stepped forward to take his place. Kipling stared helplessly into his merciless red eyes. This was a dragon he had once dined with regularly, a valued part of the clan he considered family. Yet another good soul twisted by Quartz's greed and ambition.

His last thoughts, as the bitter cold dulled his senses and sent him into darkness, was a flicker of hope that Winterstone was right, and that they would win in the imminent fight against Quartz.

Sapphire didn't feel much like a prisoner. He was not bound in any way, but sat freely on the bed on the edge of the room. Sure, Dremasul's house on the top of the tower was far from the elegance and extravagance of his parents' mansion, but there was something far more comforting about it. It felt lived in, like it actually belonged to someone. It felt more like a home.

Still, Sapphire didn't have the time to contemplate the ins and outs of Dremasul and his living habits. He was growing exasperated with his 'captors' hushed tones and suspicious stares as they discussed whether or not they could trust him or just how they wanted to use them.

"I'm still not sure we can trust him, he is Quartz and Banella's son. We have to be careful, otherwise we'll lose everything we're working for," Dremasul whispered.

"I'm telling you, his soul is clean, his intentions are pure!" Draxxor hissed.

"Yeah, well your soul readings aren't always one hundred percent accurate," Dremasul hissed back.

"Oh yeah? Well, they seemed pretty right about you!" Draxxor's tone was rising in anger.

"You know I can hear every word you're saying," Sapphire pointed out, slightly amused at the shock on their faces as he spoke, "I'm right here you know."

"Right, yes, of course," Dremasul smiled, "I'm sorry, it's just, you can never be too careful these days. If you want to go, you can, we're not keeping you here."

"Speak for yourself!" Draxxor huffed, "I think a war prisoner is an excellent idea!"

"You're doing it again," Dremasul hissed at Draxxor, "I thought your vigilante days were over."

"Well, desperate times call for desperate measures!" Draxxor hissed back.

"Look, I don't know what you're looking for, but if you trust me, maybe I'll be able to help. I know all the secrets of the mansion and I hate my father as much as you do, if not more," Sapphire piped up, "I'm friends with Ruby, she's told me all about the days before my parents took over. I want to help bring them back."

"See? He's telling the truth," Draxxor waved a hand at Sapphire. Dremasul rolled his eyes.

"Alright," Dremasul sighed, "We're looking for the former king and queen of Windkeep Tower. Their disappearance was out of character, and we think it has something to do with your parents."

"What do the king and queen look like?" Sapphire asked, some half-forgotten memory from his hatchlinghood rising from the surface.

"Fenn is a pink fae with blue wings, and her husband, Elric, is a purple guardian in golden armor." Dremasul explained. As he gave the description of the former royals, everything jolted into place. Sapphire could remember his excursion into the wind cellar of the mansion as if it were yesterday.

"I think I know where they are," Sapphire said, breath catching in his throat. He opened his mouth to share his memory with the two wildclaws when there was a knock at the door.

"Hide him!" Draxxor hissed to Dremasul as she moved to get the door. Dremasul leaped into action and shoved Sapphire into the next room, closing the door behind him. From his place in the darkness of the second room, Sapphire could hear the door opening and the footsteps of what sounded like a wildclaw.

"Rammus! What are you doing here?" Dremasul asked, surprised, "I didn't think you were coming until mail time!"

"I have news. There's an underground rebellion against Quartz, and they are going to be fighting against him very soon," The dragon called Rammus explained, "Have you had any luck with your project?"

"Actually, we've just had a breakthrough!" Draxxor exclaimed, "Or at least, we hope so. Sapphire, do you want to come out? It's okay, we can trust him."

Sapphire opened the door with a creak and stepped into the other room. Things were really getting exciting now, and he was glad he was on the right side of the fight!

Rubywing sat at her desk, feeling hopeless. She had just heard of Kipling's kidnapping, and it seemed all hope really was lost. She scarcely knew what she was going to do, or what she could do to help. She didn't even have Sapphire here to encourage her. She was worried about him, it wasn't like her brother to disappear like this.

There was only one glimmer of hope left, but even that was dwindling. Her heart skipped a beat as she heard a knock on the window. Ruby immediately leaped to her feet and opened it. The gap was only just wide enough for Rammus to slip in.

"So, you've finally decided to stop hiding away and reveal your location!" Rammus grinned. Ruby wished she could share in his joy. She knew even calling him here was putting his life at risk after Quartz's threats, especially considering the occasion.

"Look, times are getting desperate. I can't stand how our father is ruling anymore. We have to do something, I don't know what, but I can't stand by and let this happen any longer!" Ruby was growing frantic, and she began pacing.

"Hey, sis, calm down!" Rammus soothed, stopping Ruby in her tracks and resting his hands on her cheeks, "Breathe with me, everything is going to be okay."

The two took some deep breaths until Rubywing had calmed down again.

"Hey, I have some good news," Rammus reassured, "There's going to be an attack against Quartz very soon. Apparently there's been an underground resistance growing for quite some time, and they have put out a recruitment call for the final battle. Tomorrow morning, every resident of Windkeep Tower is going to wake up with a note on their doorstep: pick a side, and stand and fight for our clan."

Ruby couldn't help it. A joyful sob escaped her throat. Maybe, just maybe, Windkeep Tower wouldn't be under the control of her father for very much longer.

See, I told you today's chapter is pretty long, but there are some pretty big things happening in it! We are very much nearing the endgame.
@Petall I really liked the conversation between Kipling and Winterstone. If I'd been some years younger, I might've sided with Kipling; as it is, I can see where Winterstone is coming from.

*makes a face* Also, I spoiled myself for this chapter by reading through Yuu's bio before scrolling down to the garden visit. xDD Speaking of the gardens, when I read your description of the place, I thought of this thread. It's another lore group thing; I thought you might want to check it out.

"What did you do with my wife?" He asked, then his face softened, "Oh never you mind, I'm glad you got her out of my way. She was a nuisance anyways."
-- At this point, I was like, "HOLY MOSES". Well, Quartz is...an optimist at heart, I guess??? .___.'

And when I read the last sentence of your post, I couldn't help lol'ing again. Now I'm kinda hoping for a final battle scene where Dremasul or somebody makes a Pronouncement or Gesture of Doom like Doctor Strange did.
@Petall I really liked the conversation between Kipling and Winterstone. If I'd been some years younger, I might've sided with Kipling; as it is, I can see where Winterstone is coming from.

*makes a face* Also, I spoiled myself for this chapter by reading through Yuu's bio before scrolling down to the garden visit. xDD Speaking of the gardens, when I read your description of the place, I thought of this thread. It's another lore group thing; I thought you might want to check it out.

"What did you do with my wife?" He asked, then his face softened, "Oh never you mind, I'm glad you got her out of my way. She was a nuisance anyways."
-- At this point, I was like, "HOLY MOSES". Well, Quartz is...an optimist at heart, I guess??? .___.'

And when I read the last sentence of your post, I couldn't help lol'ing again. Now I'm kinda hoping for a final battle scene where Dremasul or somebody makes a Pronouncement or Gesture of Doom like Doctor Strange did.
@Petall Yay! Looks like all the players are almost in position (except Banella, who must be in an odd position now!) and Yuu is so sweet I love her (and her brothers~) so much! Bad Desertstone, I know you are advancing the plot, but don't hurt sweet Yuu to do it! Go choke on a battery! [emoji=guardian angry size=1] (your still good Petall, Desertstone is the bad one.) And also yay on finally drawing a line in the sand, let's hope the people choose lawful right over stolen might! [emoji=fae star size=1][emoji=guardian star size=1]
@Petall
Yay! Looks like all the players are almost in position (except Banella, who must be in an odd position now!) and Yuu is so sweet I love her (and her brothers~) so much!
Bad Desertstone, I know you are advancing the plot, but don't hurt sweet Yuu to do it! Go choke on a battery! (your still good Petall, Desertstone is the bad one.)
And also yay on finally drawing a line in the sand, let's hope the people choose lawful right over stolen might!
tumblr_p89rkfc4Pq1wvvm88o2_100.png 63Nkadh.pngtumblr_inline_nlmzw4PbYE1qdxu5r.giflqgXN8M.png
@Disillusionist

It was a fun conversation to write, I figure both sides have valid arguments with valid reasoning, and it's down to personal preference who to support!

Oops! Maybe I should have waiting a bit to update her bio! I'll have to be more careful about that in the future!

Quartz is something else, that's for sure!

@AlchemyFox

I'm glad you have such a soft spot for Yuu and her brothers! I do as well, though I'm probably biased!

I know, it's a tragedy really. I've had Desertstone since day one of Windkeep Tower and he hasn't been used for anything but to be a traitor!

Woot! Let the games begin!
@Disillusionist

It was a fun conversation to write, I figure both sides have valid arguments with valid reasoning, and it's down to personal preference who to support!

Oops! Maybe I should have waiting a bit to update her bio! I'll have to be more careful about that in the future!

Quartz is something else, that's for sure!

@AlchemyFox

I'm glad you have such a soft spot for Yuu and her brothers! I do as well, though I'm probably biased!

I know, it's a tragedy really. I've had Desertstone since day one of Windkeep Tower and he hasn't been used for anything but to be a traitor!

Woot! Let the games begin!
1 2 ... 69 70 71 72 73 ... 78 79