Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | The Stories of Windkeep Tower
1 2 ... 68 69 70 71 72 ... 78 79
----- [center][url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2383572/69#post_38914738]Previous[/url][/center] ----- [center][b][u]Chapter 133: Ringmaster[/u][/b] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=43080299] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/430803/43080299_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] Lorcan too a deep breath as he approached Kaladin's caravan. The ringmaster of the circus was a bit intimidating at the best of times, but he had become even more so after raising the undead army and partnering with Quartz and Banella. His tone had become sharper, and his patience had dwindled. He had become more and more reclusive, allowing Magiere to take on more and more of his leadership duties. Of course, everyone's workload had increased. After Quartz's Conquest was announced, the circus dragons had joined Lin as mentors and teachers of adapting one's innate abilities for battle, so now in addition to training, Lorcan and the rest of the circus were tasked with training the other residents of Windkeep Tower. It was during one of these teaching sessions that he had noticed Kaladin sneaking past. He had looked absolutely ghastly. His face was gaunt and he had dark circles under his eyes. The spark of charisma was gone, it was as if he was seeing an empty husk of the dragon who had once been his leader. For all his flaws, Kaladin made the circus what it was, and Lorcan had no idea where he would be without him. Which was why it was his duty as a caring member of the circus troupe to check on his ringmaster, just to make sure he was still alive, maybe give him some tea, nothing big. Just tea. Or at least, that's what Lorcan tried to reassure himself as he knocked on the door and stepped back. He couldn't help but wonder if this was a good idea after all. Just as Lorcan lost his nerve and turned to go, the door swung open, and Kaladin stood in the doorway. Lorcan's eyes widened; the ringmaster looked so much worse up close. If he hadn't known Kaladin so well, he would have sworn he was a fresh undead. [center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=37997969] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/379980/37997969_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] Kaladin stared at Lorcan for a moment before he spoke. "Lorcan? I assume you have something you want to talk about. Come in. Please don't mind the mess, I haven't exactly had the time to clean up lately." Lorcan took a step inside and Kaladin shut the door. It was only as his eyes adjusted to the dark light that Lorcan could see just what Kaladin meant by mess. The usually tidy pearlcatcher had left his quarters an absolute disaster. Bones and broken vials littered the floor, papers and dirty dishes covered every surface. In the corner, his pearl lay surrounded by crumpled paper, clearly not properly polished or tended to in a while. The only thing that was relatively untouched was the rose he had set aside in a glass case, kept alive in honor of his lost love, but even that looked like it was beginning to wither. "Now, if you've finished staring-?" Kaladin said, clearly irritated. "I have work to do, just spit it out and tell me." "Sorry." Lorcan said, lowing his head in embarrassment. "I just wanted to ask, I hope it's not to forward, but- Are you okay, Kaladin, sir? We're all worried about you, down at the circus. You don't seem yourself." "Oh, all of you are worried, are you?" Kaladin growled, seeing through Lorcan's lie. "Well, I haven't exactly spoken to the others, but [i]I'm[/i] worried about you." Lorcan corrected. "It's not your place to worry." Kaladin snapped. "It's your job to do your job, and it's my job to do mine." "With all due respect, I can't actually believe you want to hand over this much power to Magiere. She's [i]awful[/i]. She's destorying all of your hard work to build this place!" Lorcan protested. "Times change. Once, the circus was my pride and joy, now our [i]wonderful[/i] king and queen have demanded I move on to other pursuits." Kaladin growled, though not at Lorcan this time. "I tried telling them that increasing the number of undead was a risky business and that it would take time and effort and probably some help, if I could just train another necromancer, maybe we could build the army they desire, but no, it's full steam ahead Kaladin! There's no time to waste Kaladin! We don't care if we drain your life force completely, just give us what we want Kaladin!" Lorcan didn't know what to say, but for the first time, he truly felt for the pearlcatcher. "I just want to live in peace, but there is no rest for the wicked, eh?" Kaladin said, calming down a little and flashing him a smirk. "And that goes for you too. It's time you learn we don't have control of your circumstances, you just have to hold on to what you love and hope it makes it through to the other side." "And what do you love?" Lorcan pressed. "Love is something that is long since gone for me, but it is not too late for you." Kaladin said, looking into Lorcan's eyes with an intensity that almost scared the wildclaw. "You have your wife, you have your children, you have your friends. Hold onto them and don't let go. Make sure they get through this war, no matter the cost. There is nothing that costs more than their lives." After his outburst, the pearlcatcher drooped, panting. "You should go now. I need to recharge a bit, and it is not pleasant business." Lorcan nodded, wishing there was something more he could do to help Kaladin. "You know, I don't think love is lost for you." Lorcan said. "There's still hope, there's always hope." "That's nice, kid. I wish I had your optimism." Kaladin said with a small smile. "Now go fight the good fight. I hope you make it through, you have always been such a good performer, it would be a pity to lose you." Kaladin watched as the wildclaw left the caravan, gently shutting the door. Kaladin sighed and turned to the rose. "I don't even have enough energy to keep you alive, my rose." He said, closing his eyes and lowering his head. His whiskers drooped on the floor. "I wish, more than anything, that you were still here. But I think that if you were to see me now, you would be scared of what I have become. I'm sorry my rose, I've let you down. I keep letting you down." With a sigh, he turned away, unable to face the monument to his dead love anymore, and sauntered over to his pearl. He curled around it and fell asleep, wondering if this time the darkness would take him for good. He doubted he would be so lucky. ----- [center][url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2383572/70#post_38958882]Next[/url][/center] ----- [center]@CleverDual @Alwaid @zzzhorses @Amezrou @ScrivenerRook @Kizzan @clarax @lilastar @tigressRising @Disillusionist @Aetherstorm @rainphee @FallenEclipse @Tirtouga678 @catmeow1 @ShinyDecidueye @AlchemyFox[/center] ----- This turned out to be a bit of a darker chapter than I expected, but I wanted to give a snapshot with how Kaladin is doing with all this. Plus, it's fun to bring Lorcan in again, and to show what the ringmaster/troupe dynamic is like. The circus dragons may not like him all the time, but they definitely respect him.

Chapter 133: Ringmaster

43080299_350.png

Lorcan too a deep breath as he approached Kaladin's caravan. The ringmaster of the circus was a bit intimidating at the best of times, but he had become even more so after raising the undead army and partnering with Quartz and Banella. His tone had become sharper, and his patience had dwindled. He had become more and more reclusive, allowing Magiere to take on more and more of his leadership duties.

Of course, everyone's workload had increased. After Quartz's Conquest was announced, the circus dragons had joined Lin as mentors and teachers of adapting one's innate abilities for battle, so now in addition to training, Lorcan and the rest of the circus were tasked with training the other residents of Windkeep Tower. It was during one of these teaching sessions that he had noticed Kaladin sneaking past. He had looked absolutely ghastly. His face was gaunt and he had dark circles under his eyes. The spark of charisma was gone, it was as if he was seeing an empty husk of the dragon who had once been his leader. For all his flaws, Kaladin made the circus what it was, and Lorcan had no idea where he would be without him.

Which was why it was his duty as a caring member of the circus troupe to check on his ringmaster, just to make sure he was still alive, maybe give him some tea, nothing big. Just tea. Or at least, that's what Lorcan tried to reassure himself as he knocked on the door and stepped back. He couldn't help but wonder if this was a good idea after all.

Just as Lorcan lost his nerve and turned to go, the door swung open, and Kaladin stood in the doorway. Lorcan's eyes widened; the ringmaster looked so much worse up close. If he hadn't known Kaladin so well, he would have sworn he was a fresh undead.

Kaladin stared at Lorcan for a moment before he spoke. "Lorcan? I assume you have something you want to talk about. Come in. Please don't mind the mess, I haven't exactly had the time to clean up lately."

Lorcan took a step inside and Kaladin shut the door. It was only as his eyes adjusted to the dark light that Lorcan could see just what Kaladin meant by mess. The usually tidy pearlcatcher had left his quarters an absolute disaster. Bones and broken vials littered the floor, papers and dirty dishes covered every surface. In the corner, his pearl lay surrounded by crumpled paper, clearly not properly polished or tended to in a while. The only thing that was relatively untouched was the rose he had set aside in a glass case, kept alive in honor of his lost love, but even that looked like it was beginning to wither.

"Now, if you've finished staring-?" Kaladin said, clearly irritated. "I have work to do, just spit it out and tell me."

"Sorry." Lorcan said, lowing his head in embarrassment. "I just wanted to ask, I hope it's not to forward, but- Are you okay, Kaladin, sir? We're all worried about you, down at the circus. You don't seem yourself."

"Oh, all of you are worried, are you?" Kaladin growled, seeing through Lorcan's lie.

"Well, I haven't exactly spoken to the others, but I'm worried about you." Lorcan corrected.

"It's not your place to worry." Kaladin snapped. "It's your job to do your job, and it's my job to do mine."

"With all due respect, I can't actually believe you want to hand over this much power to Magiere. She's awful. She's destorying all of your hard work to build this place!" Lorcan protested.

"Times change. Once, the circus was my pride and joy, now our wonderful king and queen have demanded I move on to other pursuits." Kaladin growled, though not at Lorcan this time. "I tried telling them that increasing the number of undead was a risky business and that it would take time and effort and probably some help, if I could just train another necromancer, maybe we could build the army they desire, but no, it's full steam ahead Kaladin! There's no time to waste Kaladin! We don't care if we drain your life force completely, just give us what we want Kaladin!"

Lorcan didn't know what to say, but for the first time, he truly felt for the pearlcatcher.

"I just want to live in peace, but there is no rest for the wicked, eh?" Kaladin said, calming down a little and flashing him a smirk. "And that goes for you too. It's time you learn we don't have control of your circumstances, you just have to hold on to what you love and hope it makes it through to the other side."

"And what do you love?" Lorcan pressed.

"Love is something that is long since gone for me, but it is not too late for you." Kaladin said, looking into Lorcan's eyes with an intensity that almost scared the wildclaw. "You have your wife, you have your children, you have your friends. Hold onto them and don't let go. Make sure they get through this war, no matter the cost. There is nothing that costs more than their lives."

After his outburst, the pearlcatcher drooped, panting. "You should go now. I need to recharge a bit, and it is not pleasant business."

Lorcan nodded, wishing there was something more he could do to help Kaladin. "You know, I don't think love is lost for you." Lorcan said. "There's still hope, there's always hope."

"That's nice, kid. I wish I had your optimism." Kaladin said with a small smile. "Now go fight the good fight. I hope you make it through, you have always been such a good performer, it would be a pity to lose you."

Kaladin watched as the wildclaw left the caravan, gently shutting the door. Kaladin sighed and turned to the rose.

"I don't even have enough energy to keep you alive, my rose." He said, closing his eyes and lowering his head. His whiskers drooped on the floor. "I wish, more than anything, that you were still here. But I think that if you were to see me now, you would be scared of what I have become. I'm sorry my rose, I've let you down. I keep letting you down."

With a sigh, he turned away, unable to face the monument to his dead love anymore, and sauntered over to his pearl. He curled around it and fell asleep, wondering if this time the darkness would take him for good. He doubted he would be so lucky.

This turned out to be a bit of a darker chapter than I expected, but I wanted to give a snapshot with how Kaladin is doing with all this. Plus, it's fun to bring Lorcan in again, and to show what the ringmaster/troupe dynamic is like. The circus dragons may not like him all the time, but they definitely respect him.
b7742e507b7cf8e2cd71c4f2ffd5a17c3b9f9e2e.png 7ae5f576df9583faed137e7e0ca37146ab2a57b6.png
@Petall That was pretty interesting! It looks like Banella's and Quartz' empire is beginning to crumble from the inside out. Definitely wasn't expecting Kaladin to give Lorcan a pep talk, and to hint that he approves of rebelling against their leaders. Poor guy's had a tough, sad life; his bitterness is justified and he's just so tired now.
@Petall That was pretty interesting! It looks like Banella's and Quartz' empire is beginning to crumble from the inside out. Definitely wasn't expecting Kaladin to give Lorcan a pep talk, and to hint that he approves of rebelling against their leaders. Poor guy's had a tough, sad life; his bitterness is justified and he's just so tired now.
Disillusionist's Lore & More .. {Free} bio resourcesLF Affiliates
female / INTJ / Capricorn / +16 FR time
Clan: FAQ | Stats | Lore Thread | Directory | Avatar
Wishlists: outfits & genes | general | familiars
Please check the spelling of my name when pinging me: @Disillusionist. Thanks!
@Disillusionist

I've been meaning to give a deeper look into Kaladin for a while now, I'm glad to have the chance to do so now, even if the circumstances are grim!
@Disillusionist

I've been meaning to give a deeper look into Kaladin for a while now, I'm glad to have the chance to do so now, even if the circumstances are grim!
b7742e507b7cf8e2cd71c4f2ffd5a17c3b9f9e2e.png 7ae5f576df9583faed137e7e0ca37146ab2a57b6.png
@Petall i'm not fully caught up yet (only on page 14 so far) but i really love your writing! can you put me on the pinglist please? :D
@Petall i'm not fully caught up yet (only on page 14 so far) but i really love your writing! can you put me on the pinglist please? :D
The Fortress of Ice - Rollocke

tumblr_inline_nzqu0njNXM1tgh8q0_400.png

dottore... DOTTORE!!!
@demitri

I'm so glad you're enjoying it! Yes, I'll add you to the pinglist right away!
@demitri

I'm so glad you're enjoying it! Yes, I'll add you to the pinglist right away!
@petall im sorry i havent read everything yet because i dont have much time :#
is it possible to buy lore here? like for you to write about my dragons? ive seen some of your work and i love it haha
@petall im sorry i havent read everything yet because i dont have much time :#
is it possible to buy lore here? like for you to write about my dragons? ive seen some of your work and i love it haha
@Roelles

No worries, it's a bit of a long thread! I think we're nearing the length of Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince at my last word count check!

I'd definitely be open to that! Though this thread isn't the best place to place an order, we could talk about the logistics and whatnot through messages if you want to send me an idea of what you're thinking and I'll let you know if that's posssible/what pricing would look like!
@Roelles

No worries, it's a bit of a long thread! I think we're nearing the length of Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince at my last word count check!

I'd definitely be open to that! Though this thread isn't the best place to place an order, we could talk about the logistics and whatnot through messages if you want to send me an idea of what you're thinking and I'll let you know if that's posssible/what pricing would look like!
----- [center][url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2383572/70#post_38926402]Previous[/url][/center] ----- [center][b][u]Chapter 134: Dining in the Moonlight[/u][/b] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=36377357] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/363774/36377357_350.png[/img] [/url] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=37751163] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/377512/37751163_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] The meal Raizel had made was delicious. After slim pickings of whatever they would catch, it was amazing to eat something crafted with more time and effort. Even Eclipse's wildclaw companions were happy, despite the fact that the meal was entirely vegetarian. "I'm sorry about the lack of protein, had I known you were coming I would have caught something for you meat-eaters." Raizel apologized. The wildclaws were hardly listening, they were enjoying their meal too much. [center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=47845661] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/478457/47845661_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] "Ish Dewiciosh." Quaid said, mouth full of food. A piece of honey-covered lettuce fell out of his mouth as he spoke, catching on his chin. His parents weren't all that neater in their table etiquette, and Eclipse felt a flush of embarrassment. "I'm sorry for their manners, they aren't used to eating around other dragons." Eclipse apologized to Raizel. "No worries." Raizel said eyes twinkling. "There is more to determining noble character than table manners." Eclipse laughed, almost spitting out her mouthful of food. Quaid, noble? He was more like a clumsy rogue. Then she thought about how he and his parents had taken her in, tended to her wing, and helped her reach her destination. If it weren't for their kindness, she wouldn't be here at all. Raizel had a point. "So, tell me, what brings you to my corner of the Tangled Wood?" Raizel asked, changing the subject. "Well, it's a long story. I'm not sure you'll believe me." Eclipse said, thinking of all the twists and turns and impossible time travel. "Try me." Raizel said, and from her steely gaze, Eclipse could tell that she was serious. Eclipse explained everything, from her first whisper of the Moon Warriors in her grandmother's bedtime stories to performing the ritual itself to her trail and Kipling's rescue through time. Then she went on to explain Windkeep Tower's situation, with its tyrannical rulers and brave underground rebellion. By the time she was done explaining everything, her throat felt dry. "I came to get proper training, and to find out how to get my lunar blade back. I've been feeling empty since being trapped in that cave, it's just not there." Eclipse said, growing desperate. "And Windkeep Tower needs my help. I don't want it to turn into what my old clan was. I want to be free to be who I am, I don't want to keep running, I want to fight for what I believe in. But-" She sighed, not sure if she wanted to say what weighed on her heart. "I need help. I can't do it on my own. I'm lost, and these dragons are putting so much faith in me." "It's a heavy burden to bear, the weight of responsibility." Raizel confirmed, pouring Eclipse a cup of tea and serving some sort of dark cake for dessert. "I don't remember much of who I was before I was driven into hiding, tundra memories aren't exactly the most reliable, but every so often certain smells bring back fear and regret. Something terrible happened in my past. I wish I knew what, but I have made peace with not knowing. The only thing I can do is keep the legacy of Moon Warriors alive and try my best to live up for my past mistakes, whatever they were." Eclipse nodded, taking a sip of tea. Both she and Raizel had lost their pasts to time, though in very different ways. "So, to make a long story short, yes I will help you. I have the last copy of the lunar tomes tucked away here. It's so dangerous to be a moon warrior in the Tangled Wood, prejudice runs deep even if dragons have forgotten [i]why[/i] they dislike us so much in the first place, I haven't been able to take on an apprentice or pass on the art. It would be an honor to train another, to ensure moon warriors do not die out." "Thank you," Eclipse said, feeling a weight lift off her chest. She turned to her friends. "You can go, if you wish. I can train here, and find my way back. You have your family to return to and protect. I won't keep you here." "What, are you an idiot? We're not just going to abandon you." Quaid exclaimed. Cake crumbs were still clinging to his face. "When we take a quest, we see it through to the end. Right, mom and dad?" [center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=40036092] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/400361/40036092_350.png[/img] [/url] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=40062165] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/400622/40062165_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] "He's right." Pyrite agreed, exchanging a glance with Plagueheart. "Of course. Windkeep Tower isn't helpless without us. They have plenty of strong fighters and brave souls. I should know, many of them are descended from me." Plagueheart's chest swelled with pride at the thought. "Eclipse you have our loyalty. You are basically part of the family now. So welcome to the Amberlyn family!" "You're stuck with us for life!" Quaid exclaimed. "What about you Tatum?" Eclipse said, too overwhelmed by emotion to respond. "Are you going to return to your father's shop now that you've led us here?" Eclipse had no idea how Tatum would find her father's shop again, but she didn't doubt it was within the strange imperial's ability. [center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=51611366] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/516114/51611366_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] "And miss out on an adventure? Are you kidding me? I never want to go back!" Tatum exclaimed. She was so excited, she leaped into the air and did a few flips, transforming into a different coloured bird with each one. "Then it's settled. It will be good to have company again." Eclipse said with a smile. "I'll help get you all settled, I've got several empty dens that are good for sleeping." "We'll be happy to help with the hunting too, so you don't have to cook for us all, all the time." Plagueheart said with a wink. "Yeah, put us to work! We don't want to be sitting idly by eating all your food and taking up space." Pyrite agreed. "Perfect." Raizel said, and it was clear she was very excited to have them stay. Eclipse wondered if she had been lonely, living here on her own for so long, living in fear of dragons finding her and hunting her down. Her resolve stiffened even more. In Windkeep Tower, no one had to be afraid, and that's why they needed to get it back. Eclipse would stop at nothing to help restore the clan to its former glory. ----- [center][url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2383572/70#post_38998187]Next[/url][/center] ----- [center]@CleverDual @Alwaid @zzzhorses @Amezrou @ScrivenerRook @Kizzan @clarax @lilastar @tigressRising @Disillusionist @Aetherstorm @rainphee @FallenEclipse @Tirtouga678 @catmeow1 @ShinyDecidueye @AlchemyFox @demitri[/center] ----- I finally have time to write another chapter! It's been a bit of a hectic week! Also, just a heads up, I'm leaving on a camping trip this evening so I won't be back on Flight Rising until Monday afternoon (my time is the same as flight rising server time). I hope you all have a great weekend, and I'll see you again on Monday!

Chapter 134: Dining in the Moonlight

36377357_350.png

37751163_350.png

The meal Raizel had made was delicious. After slim pickings of whatever they would catch, it was amazing to eat something crafted with more time and effort. Even Eclipse's wildclaw companions were happy, despite the fact that the meal was entirely vegetarian.

"I'm sorry about the lack of protein, had I known you were coming I would have caught something for you meat-eaters." Raizel apologized. The wildclaws were hardly listening, they were enjoying their meal too much.

"Ish Dewiciosh." Quaid said, mouth full of food. A piece of honey-covered lettuce fell out of his mouth as he spoke, catching on his chin. His parents weren't all that neater in their table etiquette, and Eclipse felt a flush of embarrassment.

"I'm sorry for their manners, they aren't used to eating around other dragons." Eclipse apologized to Raizel.

"No worries." Raizel said eyes twinkling. "There is more to determining noble character than table manners."

Eclipse laughed, almost spitting out her mouthful of food. Quaid, noble? He was more like a clumsy rogue. Then she thought about how he and his parents had taken her in, tended to her wing, and helped her reach her destination. If it weren't for their kindness, she wouldn't be here at all. Raizel had a point.

"So, tell me, what brings you to my corner of the Tangled Wood?" Raizel asked, changing the subject.

"Well, it's a long story. I'm not sure you'll believe me." Eclipse said, thinking of all the twists and turns and impossible time travel.

"Try me." Raizel said, and from her steely gaze, Eclipse could tell that she was serious.

Eclipse explained everything, from her first whisper of the Moon Warriors in her grandmother's bedtime stories to performing the ritual itself to her trail and Kipling's rescue through time. Then she went on to explain Windkeep Tower's situation, with its tyrannical rulers and brave underground rebellion. By the time she was done explaining everything, her throat felt dry.

"I came to get proper training, and to find out how to get my lunar blade back. I've been feeling empty since being trapped in that cave, it's just not there." Eclipse said, growing desperate. "And Windkeep Tower needs my help. I don't want it to turn into what my old clan was. I want to be free to be who I am, I don't want to keep running, I want to fight for what I believe in. But-" She sighed, not sure if she wanted to say what weighed on her heart. "I need help. I can't do it on my own. I'm lost, and these dragons are putting so much faith in me."

"It's a heavy burden to bear, the weight of responsibility." Raizel confirmed, pouring Eclipse a cup of tea and serving some sort of dark cake for dessert. "I don't remember much of who I was before I was driven into hiding, tundra memories aren't exactly the most reliable, but every so often certain smells bring back fear and regret. Something terrible happened in my past. I wish I knew what, but I have made peace with not knowing. The only thing I can do is keep the legacy of Moon Warriors alive and try my best to live up for my past mistakes, whatever they were."

Eclipse nodded, taking a sip of tea. Both she and Raizel had lost their pasts to time, though in very different ways.

"So, to make a long story short, yes I will help you. I have the last copy of the lunar tomes tucked away here. It's so dangerous to be a moon warrior in the Tangled Wood, prejudice runs deep even if dragons have forgotten why they dislike us so much in the first place, I haven't been able to take on an apprentice or pass on the art. It would be an honor to train another, to ensure moon warriors do not die out."

"Thank you," Eclipse said, feeling a weight lift off her chest. She turned to her friends. "You can go, if you wish. I can train here, and find my way back. You have your family to return to and protect. I won't keep you here."

"What, are you an idiot? We're not just going to abandon you." Quaid exclaimed. Cake crumbs were still clinging to his face. "When we take a quest, we see it through to the end. Right, mom and dad?"

"He's right." Pyrite agreed, exchanging a glance with Plagueheart.

"Of course. Windkeep Tower isn't helpless without us. They have plenty of strong fighters and brave souls. I should know, many of them are descended from me." Plagueheart's chest swelled with pride at the thought. "Eclipse you have our loyalty. You are basically part of the family now. So welcome to the Amberlyn family!"

"You're stuck with us for life!" Quaid exclaimed.

"What about you Tatum?" Eclipse said, too overwhelmed by emotion to respond. "Are you going to return to your father's shop now that you've led us here?" Eclipse had no idea how Tatum would find her father's shop again, but she didn't doubt it was within the strange imperial's ability.

"And miss out on an adventure? Are you kidding me? I never want to go back!" Tatum exclaimed. She was so excited, she leaped into the air and did a few flips, transforming into a different coloured bird with each one.

"Then it's settled. It will be good to have company again." Eclipse said with a smile. "I'll help get you all settled, I've got several empty dens that are good for sleeping."

"We'll be happy to help with the hunting too, so you don't have to cook for us all, all the time." Plagueheart said with a wink.

"Yeah, put us to work! We don't want to be sitting idly by eating all your food and taking up space." Pyrite agreed.

"Perfect." Raizel said, and it was clear she was very excited to have them stay. Eclipse wondered if she had been lonely, living here on her own for so long, living in fear of dragons finding her and hunting her down. Her resolve stiffened even more. In Windkeep Tower, no one had to be afraid, and that's why they needed to get it back. Eclipse would stop at nothing to help restore the clan to its former glory.

I finally have time to write another chapter! It's been a bit of a hectic week!

Also, just a heads up, I'm leaving on a camping trip this evening so I won't be back on Flight Rising until Monday afternoon (my time is the same as flight rising server time). I hope you all have a great weekend, and I'll see you again on Monday!
----- [center][url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2383572/70#post_38958882]Previous[/url][/center] ----- [center][b][u]Chapter 135: Secrets of the Mansion[/u][/b] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=33201295] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/332013/33201295_350.png[/img] [/url] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=44447781] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/444478/44447781_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] A few months had passed since Quartz had begun training Windkeep Tower. Not even the most elite members of the clan had gotten away with avoiding the king's strict regime. It was after one such training session that Banella and Nova were enjoying a cup of tea. "I'm amazed at how much Quartz is able to bring out of everyone, it's really doing wonders for the clan," Nova said, sipping her tea with a smirk. "He is great, isn't he?" Banella lied, her heart stopping as her best friend mentioned her husband. She pasted a fake smile on her face and took a bite out of a sugar cookie. She was a master at hiding her emotions. "Of course, there have been rumors about the two of you," Nova said, grinning slyly at Banella, almost causing the queen to spit out her tea. "What rumors?" Banella asked warily, regaining her composure. "Rumor has it that the real reason Quartz is building this army is because you are both trying to knock the other of the throne and become the only reigning monarch of Windkeep Tower," Nova purred. "So, is it true?" "Quartz wants to expand out domain," Banella said quickly, then took a long sip of tea to allow herself time to pull herself back together. It was true that she and Quartz hardly got along, and that things would be a lot easier without that toad around to bother her. It was also true that the hostility had been growing between each other since he had announced his plans of conquest. Quartz was not the sort of dragon that would let anyone stand in his way; he had proved that when he had killed Zolean. Banella shuddered to think of what he would attempt if she started making a stand. "But there has been some tension between the two of you, yes?" Nova pressed, reading between the lines. Her narrowed eyes glimmered with intrigue. The imperial always enjoyed a good gossip. "Yes," Banella admitted, "I do not believe his tactics are sound. We are rushing into this much too quickly and-" She trailed off. [i]And ruling isn't nearly as satisfying as I thought it was going to be.[/i] "I just want to let you know, whatever happens, I am on your side." Nova vowed, resting her long tail on Banella's shoulder in comfort. "You are the queen Windkeep Tower has been waiting for all these years. Fenn never had the strength to grow this clan to its full potential, but under your reign it will grow and thrive until it is the biggest clan in all of Sornieth. Don't let Quartz get all the glory." "I'm not planning on letting him get anything," Banella said, her eyes growing steely. Whatever her regrets, it was too late to go back, there was only forward, and she wasn't going to let that slimy coatl capitalize on all her hard work. "That's the spirit," Nova grinned, downing the last of her tea. "I'll make sure you stick to your word." [center][img]https://orig00.deviantart.net/e0bf/f/2018/247/7/5/divider_by_cas_a_fras-dcm237t.png[/img] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=51366345] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/513664/51366345_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] The secret passageways in the walls of the mansion had become like home to Sapphire. With these pathways, he could wander where he pleased without fear of running into his siblings or parents. If he found the right spots, he could even eavesdrop on a number of conversations, which he would always report back to Rubywing. His half-sister acted like she didn't care about his discoveries but he could tell that beneath it all, she feared what their father was capable of as much as he was. It was on one such prowl that he stumbled upon a conversation between his bother and sister. On the opposite side of the tunnel wall was Garnet's room, and the two dragons clearly either didn't know or didn't care how well their voices were traveling. [center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=51366344] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/513664/51366344_350.png[/img] [/url] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=51366343] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/513664/51366343_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] "You're lucky I don't just swoop in and take the throne out from underneath you," Garnet taunted jokingly, "I could beat you in any fight you know." "Good thing you have no interest in the crown!" Topaz said smugly, "Besides, I could beat you in any written test, hands-down." "Yeah, but that's not really a test," Garnet teased, "That's just boring stuff for loser nerds." "Excuse me but that is the very definition of a test, thank you very much," Topaz shot back, feigning offense, "Just admit you don't have the brains for mom's lessons." "Who needs book brains when you've got elemental magic? If something doesn't make sense, I'll blow it up, how hard can it be?" Garnet shot back. Sapphire sighed. It wasn't often he wished he was close to his siblings, they were too drunk on their own power to hold a decent conversation, but he had to admit he envied the closeness they shared. Sure, he had Ruby, but she was busy and it was different having someone your own age. He turned to go when Garnet's voice caught his attention. "Wait, what was that? Did you hear something?" Garnet asked, the room going quiet. "It's probably just a mouse," Topaz drawled, sounding bored, "Who cares?" "It sounded bigger than a mouse," Garnet pressed, "Shut up you big lump." Silence filled the air and Sapphire hardly dared to breathe. He hated to think about what would happen if his passageways, his only sanctuary, was discovered. His siblings had already taken enough from him. It was too late. With an "Aha!" from his sister, the tapestry on her wall was pulled aside to reveal a cascade of light, which flooded into the passageway, nearly blinding Sapphire. "You little sneak," Garnet snarled, her voice filled with venom. "What did you think you were going to gain, spying on us?" Topaz hissed, clearly infuriated at his brother. "Look, I'm sorry, I got lost. I'll be on my way!" Sapphire tried to slip away but was stopped by Garnet. "Not so fast, bucko. What do we have in here?" Garnet peered into the darkness and took a step into this passageway. "How far does this go?" "All around the mansion," Sapphire sighed, accepting defeat. "This is the coolest thing ever!" Topaz explained, flicking his tongue excitedly, "Imagine if the mansion were under attack, all the important dragons could escape through these tunnels and find safety while the army kept the enemy at bay!" "Do these tunnels even lead outside?" Garnet asked, sounding genuinely bored. Sapphire pretended not to hear, "She's talking to you, nitwit." Topaz hissed, shoving Sapphire, almost causing him to tumble to the floor. "Yes," Sapphire sighed, heavy with resignation. His sister seemed to perk up. "Show us," Garnet ordered, eyes sparkling dangerously. Sapphire knew better than to refuse. "Alright, alright. Come along. I'll show you," Sapphire said. And with that, he turned away, hating the fact that with every step he took, his siblings were taking more and more away from him. He didn't know why he expected anything different, they always came out on top, and he was once again left in the dust. [center][img]https://orig00.deviantart.net/e0bf/f/2018/247/7/5/divider_by_cas_a_fras-dcm237t.png[/img][/center] No sooner had Sapphire revealed the exit to the mansion, than his siblings had run off. He supposed he should be grateful they weren't around to bug him, but none of the three royal heirs had ever been permitted out of the mansion before. Goodness knew what sort of havoc Garnet and Topaz would wreak upon their poor, unsuspecting subjects. Sapphire contemplated returning to the mansion. After all, he would have the place to himself and he didn't want his siblings ruining his first time out of the mansion. However, after feeling te breeze upon his scales, he could hardly resist. He stepped out into the open world. It did not take long to dispense of his anxiety. Windkeep Tower was beautiful and he found himself feeling more free than he had ever felt before in my life. He wished it could never end. In fact, Sapphire was so caught up in the sights and sounds and smells of the outdoor market that he was hardly looked where he was going. In his distraction, he collided with a hooded dragon. He turned and gulped as the larger wildclaw leered down at him from under his cowl. [center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=28254965] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/282550/28254965_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] "Little prince!" The wildclaw exclaimed, his voice sounding much more gentle than his intimidating appearance. "What are you doing so far from home?" "Well, um, you see-" Sapphire scrambled to find an excuse, but in his panic his mind was blank. "It's okay, we can trust him," A soft voice sounded behind Sapphire and he spun around to see another intimidating wildclaw sauntering towards the prince. She wore rags and a skeletal mask, and antlers off of some dead creature sat perched on her head. [center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=28306331] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/283064/28306331_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] "Are you sure, Draxxor?" Dremasul asked, looking concerned. "He is Quartz's son." "Are you doubting my abilities, Dremasul?" Draxxor asked, a warning flashing in her eyes. "No, he is the key to what we are looking for, I'm sure of it." "Yeah, maybe so, but we can't just kidnap a prince," Dremasul pointed out. "We've had far too many close calls already." "it's a risk we'll have to take." Draxxor narrowed her eyes in determination. "Hey, if I may say something," Sapphire said, nervously piping up, "I don't know what it is you need or are looking for but I'm good to go anywhere as long as you don't return me home. I'm kinda sick of that place." "See Dremasul? It's going to be no trouble at all." Draxxor said with a smile. "Alright, fine. We'll 'kidnap' the prince. Just don't blame me if we get some very angry royals knocking at our door," Dremasul sighed, "Also, we can't tell him too much until we're sure he's on our side." "Of course, I'm not stupid." Draxxor snapped back. "Um, if I may ask, where are you taking me?" Sapphire asked, "And just what are you up to?" "You'll find it all out in time," Dremasul promised, turning his attention to the prince again. "Don't worry, we won't keep you there if you don't want to stay." "Speak for yourself. I think Quartz's son is a valuable asset, especially if we can go in for a trade or something." Draxxor grinned impishly. Sapphire gulped, wondering just what he was getting himself into with these two strange wildclaws. Still, underneath his anxiety, he couldn't help but be exhilarated. Perhaps this would be his first step into living his own life. ----- [center][url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2383572/71#post_39017090]Next[/url][/center] ----- [center]@CleverDual @Alwaid @zzzhorses @Amezrou @ScrivenerRook @Kizzan @clarax @lilastar @tigressRising @Disillusionist @Aetherstorm @rainphee @FallenEclipse @Tirtouga678 @catmeow1 @ShinyDecidueye @AlchemyFox @demitri[/center] ----- Hey all, I'm back from my camping trip with a whole new chapter! Things are really going to be ramping up now...

Chapter 135: Secrets of the Mansion

33201295_350.png

44447781_350.png

A few months had passed since Quartz had begun training Windkeep Tower. Not even the most elite members of the clan had gotten away with avoiding the king's strict regime. It was after one such training session that Banella and Nova were enjoying a cup of tea.

"I'm amazed at how much Quartz is able to bring out of everyone, it's really doing wonders for the clan," Nova said, sipping her tea with a smirk.

"He is great, isn't he?" Banella lied, her heart stopping as her best friend mentioned her husband. She pasted a fake smile on her face and took a bite out of a sugar cookie. She was a master at hiding her emotions.

"Of course, there have been rumors about the two of you," Nova said, grinning slyly at Banella, almost causing the queen to spit out her tea.

"What rumors?" Banella asked warily, regaining her composure.

"Rumor has it that the real reason Quartz is building this army is because you are both trying to knock the other of the throne and become the only reigning monarch of Windkeep Tower," Nova purred. "So, is it true?"

"Quartz wants to expand out domain," Banella said quickly, then took a long sip of tea to allow herself time to pull herself back together. It was true that she and Quartz hardly got along, and that things would be a lot easier without that toad around to bother her. It was also true that the hostility had been growing between each other since he had announced his plans of conquest. Quartz was not the sort of dragon that would let anyone stand in his way; he had proved that when he had killed Zolean. Banella shuddered to think of what he would attempt if she started making a stand.

"But there has been some tension between the two of you, yes?" Nova pressed, reading between the lines. Her narrowed eyes glimmered with intrigue. The imperial always enjoyed a good gossip.

"Yes," Banella admitted, "I do not believe his tactics are sound. We are rushing into this much too quickly and-" She trailed off. And ruling isn't nearly as satisfying as I thought it was going to be.

"I just want to let you know, whatever happens, I am on your side." Nova vowed, resting her long tail on Banella's shoulder in comfort. "You are the queen Windkeep Tower has been waiting for all these years. Fenn never had the strength to grow this clan to its full potential, but under your reign it will grow and thrive until it is the biggest clan in all of Sornieth. Don't let Quartz get all the glory."

"I'm not planning on letting him get anything," Banella said, her eyes growing steely. Whatever her regrets, it was too late to go back, there was only forward, and she wasn't going to let that slimy coatl capitalize on all her hard work.

"That's the spirit," Nova grinned, downing the last of her tea. "I'll make sure you stick to your word."

The secret passageways in the walls of the mansion had become like home to Sapphire. With these pathways, he could wander where he pleased without fear of running into his siblings or parents. If he found the right spots, he could even eavesdrop on a number of conversations, which he would always report back to Rubywing. His half-sister acted like she didn't care about his discoveries but he could tell that beneath it all, she feared what their father was capable of as much as he was.

It was on one such prowl that he stumbled upon a conversation between his bother and sister. On the opposite side of the tunnel wall was Garnet's room, and the two dragons clearly either didn't know or didn't care how well their voices were traveling.

"You're lucky I don't just swoop in and take the throne out from underneath you," Garnet taunted jokingly, "I could beat you in any fight you know."

"Good thing you have no interest in the crown!" Topaz said smugly, "Besides, I could beat you in any written test, hands-down."

"Yeah, but that's not really a test," Garnet teased, "That's just boring stuff for loser nerds."

"Excuse me but that is the very definition of a test, thank you very much," Topaz shot back, feigning offense, "Just admit you don't have the brains for mom's lessons."

"Who needs book brains when you've got elemental magic? If something doesn't make sense, I'll blow it up, how hard can it be?" Garnet shot back.

Sapphire sighed. It wasn't often he wished he was close to his siblings, they were too drunk on their own power to hold a decent conversation, but he had to admit he envied the closeness they shared. Sure, he had Ruby, but she was busy and it was different having someone your own age. He turned to go when Garnet's voice caught his attention.

"Wait, what was that? Did you hear something?" Garnet asked, the room going quiet.

"It's probably just a mouse," Topaz drawled, sounding bored, "Who cares?"

"It sounded bigger than a mouse," Garnet pressed, "Shut up you big lump."

Silence filled the air and Sapphire hardly dared to breathe. He hated to think about what would happen if his passageways, his only sanctuary, was discovered. His siblings had already taken enough from him.

It was too late. With an "Aha!" from his sister, the tapestry on her wall was pulled aside to reveal a cascade of light, which flooded into the passageway, nearly blinding Sapphire.

"You little sneak," Garnet snarled, her voice filled with venom.

"What did you think you were going to gain, spying on us?" Topaz hissed, clearly infuriated at his brother.

"Look, I'm sorry, I got lost. I'll be on my way!" Sapphire tried to slip away but was stopped by Garnet.

"Not so fast, bucko. What do we have in here?" Garnet peered into the darkness and took a step into this passageway. "How far does this go?"

"All around the mansion," Sapphire sighed, accepting defeat.

"This is the coolest thing ever!" Topaz explained, flicking his tongue excitedly, "Imagine if the mansion were under attack, all the important dragons could escape through these tunnels and find safety while the army kept the enemy at bay!"

"Do these tunnels even lead outside?" Garnet asked, sounding genuinely bored. Sapphire pretended not to hear,

"She's talking to you, nitwit." Topaz hissed, shoving Sapphire, almost causing him to tumble to the floor.

"Yes," Sapphire sighed, heavy with resignation. His sister seemed to perk up.

"Show us," Garnet ordered, eyes sparkling dangerously. Sapphire knew better than to refuse.

"Alright, alright. Come along. I'll show you," Sapphire said. And with that, he turned away, hating the fact that with every step he took, his siblings were taking more and more away from him. He didn't know why he expected anything different, they always came out on top, and he was once again left in the dust.

divider_by_cas_a_fras-dcm237t.png

No sooner had Sapphire revealed the exit to the mansion, than his siblings had run off. He supposed he should be grateful they weren't around to bug him, but none of the three royal heirs had ever been permitted out of the mansion before. Goodness knew what sort of havoc Garnet and Topaz would wreak upon their poor, unsuspecting subjects.

Sapphire contemplated returning to the mansion. After all, he would have the place to himself and he didn't want his siblings ruining his first time out of the mansion. However, after feeling te breeze upon his scales, he could hardly resist. He stepped out into the open world.

It did not take long to dispense of his anxiety. Windkeep Tower was beautiful and he found himself feeling more free than he had ever felt before in my life. He wished it could never end.

In fact, Sapphire was so caught up in the sights and sounds and smells of the outdoor market that he was hardly looked where he was going. In his distraction, he collided with a hooded dragon. He turned and gulped as the larger wildclaw leered down at him from under his cowl.

"Little prince!" The wildclaw exclaimed, his voice sounding much more gentle than his intimidating appearance. "What are you doing so far from home?"

"Well, um, you see-" Sapphire scrambled to find an excuse, but in his panic his mind was blank.

"It's okay, we can trust him," A soft voice sounded behind Sapphire and he spun around to see another intimidating wildclaw sauntering towards the prince. She wore rags and a skeletal mask, and antlers off of some dead creature sat perched on her head.

"Are you sure, Draxxor?" Dremasul asked, looking concerned. "He is Quartz's son."

"Are you doubting my abilities, Dremasul?" Draxxor asked, a warning flashing in her eyes. "No, he is the key to what we are looking for, I'm sure of it."

"Yeah, maybe so, but we can't just kidnap a prince," Dremasul pointed out. "We've had far too many close calls already."

"it's a risk we'll have to take." Draxxor narrowed her eyes in determination.

"Hey, if I may say something," Sapphire said, nervously piping up, "I don't know what it is you need or are looking for but I'm good to go anywhere as long as you don't return me home. I'm kinda sick of that place."

"See Dremasul? It's going to be no trouble at all." Draxxor said with a smile.

"Alright, fine. We'll 'kidnap' the prince. Just don't blame me if we get some very angry royals knocking at our door," Dremasul sighed, "Also, we can't tell him too much until we're sure he's on our side."

"Of course, I'm not stupid." Draxxor snapped back.

"Um, if I may ask, where are you taking me?" Sapphire asked, "And just what are you up to?"

"You'll find it all out in time," Dremasul promised, turning his attention to the prince again. "Don't worry, we won't keep you there if you don't want to stay."

"Speak for yourself. I think Quartz's son is a valuable asset, especially if we can go in for a trade or something." Draxxor grinned impishly.

Sapphire gulped, wondering just what he was getting himself into with these two strange wildclaws. Still, underneath his anxiety, he couldn't help but be exhilarated. Perhaps this would be his first step into living his own life.

Hey all, I'm back from my camping trip with a whole new chapter! Things are really going to be ramping up now...
@Petall
Great chapter! It's good to see what little personality Sapphire's siblings actually have... I guess being your parent's favorite has its downside, namely a tendency to be one-dimensional~ Err... Draxxor and Dremasul do know that they won't get much of a trade from the least favorite child that is seen as less than worthless by both of his parents, right? And he has the info they were looking for in the first place! And... before I forget... you have a couple typos this chapter~
Err, I think you forgot a "not"?
1. "I'm planning on letting him get anything," Banella said, her eyes growing steely.
and less of a typo, just me being nit-picky about proper names...
2.Silence filled the air and sapphire hardly dared to breathe.

That seems to be it, and since you churned this chapter out so soon after a vacation, they are pretty understandable.
@Petall
Great chapter! It's good to see what little personality Sapphire's siblings actually have... I guess being your parent's favorite has its downside, namely a tendency to be one-dimensional~ Err... Draxxor and Dremasul do know that they won't get much of a trade from the least favorite child that is seen as less than worthless by both of his parents, right? And he has the info they were looking for in the first place! And... before I forget... you have a couple typos this chapter~
Err, I think you forgot a "not"?
1. "I'm planning on letting him get anything," Banella said, her eyes growing steely.
and less of a typo, just me being nit-picky about proper names...
2.Silence filled the air and sapphire hardly dared to breathe.

That seems to be it, and since you churned this chapter out so soon after a vacation, they are pretty understandable.
tumblr_p89rkfc4Pq1wvvm88o2_100.png 63Nkadh.pngtumblr_inline_nlmzw4PbYE1qdxu5r.giflqgXN8M.png
1 2 ... 68 69 70 71 72 ... 78 79