Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | The Stories of Windkeep Tower
1 2 ... 73 74 75 76 77 78 79
@Tirtouga678

I'm sure Aata will be fine! She at least stands a better chance than flying over the Scarred Wasteland!

Aata was a bread dragon but now has been called to be clan healer so she's gonna have to figure that one out! She also makes bread in her free time. It's her hobby. It's relaxing, which she is going to need seeing as she has absolutely no healer training.

Also, do not fear! I am planning on jumping back to Windkeep Tower from time to time, even though my main focus will be my pinkerlocke! The dragons here are still my dragons and life goes on, I want to revisit that! I'm sure Aata will make appearances, considering the importance of her role within the clan!
@Tirtouga678

I'm sure Aata will be fine! She at least stands a better chance than flying over the Scarred Wasteland!

Aata was a bread dragon but now has been called to be clan healer so she's gonna have to figure that one out! She also makes bread in her free time. It's her hobby. It's relaxing, which she is going to need seeing as she has absolutely no healer training.

Also, do not fear! I am planning on jumping back to Windkeep Tower from time to time, even though my main focus will be my pinkerlocke! The dragons here are still my dragons and life goes on, I want to revisit that! I'm sure Aata will make appearances, considering the importance of her role within the clan!
b7742e507b7cf8e2cd71c4f2ffd5a17c3b9f9e2e.png 7ae5f576df9583faed137e7e0ca37146ab2a57b6.png
@Petall

Yeah, okay!
@Petall

Yeah, okay!
Tirtouga | FR +16 | she/her

----- [center][url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2383572/77#post_39239207]Previous[/url][/center] ----- [center][b][u]Epilogue(?): No Need to Say Goodbye[/u][/b] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=25173192] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/251732/25173192_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] Sacredscream sat at his desk, enjoying the peace that had returned once again to Windkeep Tower. The only noises that could be heard were the scratch of his quill against parchment and the distant sound of dragons outside. Everything was as it should be. "Sacredscream?" The tundra looked up from his work to see his queen approaching. He smiled, and put down his quill. He had served Fenn for what seemed like a lifetime, and it was good to be back in her service once more. [center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=25550650] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/255507/25550650_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] "What can I do for you?" Sacredscream asked, suddenly noticing a large puff of brown fur trailing behind the queen. A strange looking hatchling was looking around the room curiously. [center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=52368596] [img]http://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=0&body=94&bodygene=34&breed=17&element=3&eyetype=2&gender=1&tert=45&tertgene=0&winggene=0&wings=106&auth=93666726f6c7d4f61acda08652677ab96099bdf6&dummyext=prev.png[/img] [/url][/center] "I was wondering what you knew about the Icewarden's gaolers. One of Luster and Cattail's children was caught going through a traveling merchant's wares and it seems she got into the scrolls," Fenn explained, "There are rumors all around Sornieth about the return of the gaolers from ancient times and I wondered if this could be connected." "Whispers of gaolers have been passing around Sornieth since the the Bounty of the Elements, with many claims of sightings cropping up. Most of them have been proven to be fake, but we mustn't be too careful. After all I thought the moon warriors to be extinct as well," Sacredscream pointed out, "Did you manage to sort out the merchant? They must have been very angry to lose such expensive wares." "I offered to reimburse Galore out of Windkeep Tower's wallet, as I care more for Miriam's well-being than the expense, but he seemed to be more amused than angry and refused to take payment," Fenn explained, "It was him that seemed to think she might have turned herself into a gaoler." Sacredscream cast a look at the hatchling again. Fenn was right, she seemed too big and wild to be the run-of-the-mill tundra. "Let's see what literature I have on the topic. Mind you, up until now, most of it is supplied by legend and rumor, and may not be reliable." "Of course," Fenn smiled, "I simply wish to reassure the parents. Or, parent, I should say. Luster seems to find the whole situation rather hilarious." "Of course he would," Sacredscream shook his head as he led the two dragons down the cluttered library aisles. Merry obviously hadn't been keeping up with his job. "Ah, here we go!" He pulled down a thick volume off the shelf and flicked through the pages. It was an imagining of what ancient dragons may look like. Merry had brought it back and Sacredscream had written it off as nothing more than fiction, but it might prove to be true if gaolers truly did exist. He stopped as he spotted a familiar shape. He looked up, comparing the child's small horns and stubby wings with the fully grown illustration. Liberties certainly had been taken with the design, but Miriam undeniably fit the bill. "So?" Fenn asked, noticing the look on the historian's face. "It appears the rumors are true," Sacredscream confirmed. "Miriam should be fine, she can return to her parents. I can draft a letter to some of my literary friends and see what other information we can find on the habits and and diets of gaolers, but I imagine it may take some time to have some solid information. "Thank you, Sacredscream," Fenn smiled and dipped her head with relief. "My pleasure. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have some letters to write and then work to get back to," Sacredscream said, shelving the book, adjusting his glasses and returning to his desk. "Ah yes, of course. You've been catching up on Windkeep Tower's history!" Fenn smiled, "I'll let you get back to work!" She turned to go, but Sacredscream stopped her. "Actually, I've finished that," Sacredscream said. "I've started a new project." "Are you going to tell me what it is, or leave me in suspense?" Fenn asked, her eyes sparkling. "I figured, Windkeep Tower is such a hub, not only for those who live here, but also for those coming to and from the Windswept Plateau. I've taken a leaf out of Merry's book and decided to document other stories from around Sornieth." Sacredscream explained, growing excited, "After all, between our moon warriors and now the new appearances of gaolers, it appears there is far more in Sornieth than even we know." "I see! That sounds like a wonderful idea! Will you be traveling to collect these stories?" Fenn asked. "Me? Goodness no! My place is here, working to support you and your clan. I will be corresponding with dragons in other places to collect stories and craft them into books detailing their adventures. I may not get every fact correct, but Merry has begun to convince me a bit of fiction won't spoil the fact, and that it is stories that live on, not the dates and figures," Sacredscream explained, "Currently, I am looking into what became of one of our old allies. It appears some new information is appearing and its piqued my interest." "In that case, I won't distract you any longer," Fenn smiled, "I look forward to seeing it when its done!" "Thank you, my queen." Sacredscream dipped his head and watched as the fae led the gaoler child out of the library. Yes, interesting things had been happening on Sornieth since the Bounty of the Elements, and the thought of having something new to learn invigorated him. Windkeep Tower was sure to be at peace for a while longer, the work documenting its information would not be too taxing, leaving him open to explore the boundless potential and possibilities Sornieth held. He moved to check his map again. It wasn't there. Confused, he began shifting through the papers and books on his desk, wondering where he had left it. His memory may not be great, but he was certain he had just been looking at it. "Hey, Merry!" Sacredscream called. [center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=38414705] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/384148/38414705_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] "Yeah?" A small fae head poked out from behind a bookshelf. "Have you seen my map of the Clan of Resting Wings?" Sacredscream asked. "I seem to have misplaced it." "I haven't touched it, I swear," Merry vowed, using his finger to sign an 'x' over his heart. "I've just been shelving these new books that came in with the last shipment." "Are you sure? Because that map is one of a kind, the only one I know of left in existence," Sacredscream reminded his apprentice, "If you've used it for one of your stories-" "I haven't, I promise you!" Merry squeaked, "The last I saw it, it was on your desk with you!" "Then I wonder where it wandered off to? It's not as if it could have gone far..." Sacredscream grumbled as he scratched the back of his head. Surely it was around here somewhere? [center][img]https://orig00.deviantart.net/e0bf/f/2018/247/7/5/divider_by_cas_a_fras-dcm237t.png[/img] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=51366343] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/513664/51366343_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] Topaz waited until he reached his room in his mother's dusty suite to unfurl the map. Lighting a tall, dark candle, he leaned in, eager to drink in all the information he could. His mother told him he had royal blood in his veins, that his grandparents had once been the first king and queen of a clan called The Clan of Resting Wings. And now, here was a map detailing its streets and buildings. In the corner, a signature was written in black ink, reading "Heath." Of course, it would all be ruin now, but Topaz hoped that the map would be enough of a guide for him to find his way around. His mother may have forgotten his birthright, but he hadn't. He was going to find answers if it was the last thing he ever did. ----- [center][url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2383572/78#post_40196436]Next[/url][/center] ----- [center]@CleverDual @Alwaid @zzzhorses @Amezrou @ScrivenerRook @Kizzan @clarax @lilastar @tigressRising @Disillusionist @Aetherstorm @rainphee @FallenEclipse @Tirtouga678 @catmeow1 @ShinyDecidueye @AlchemyFox @demitri[/center] ----- And here it is! The official last chapter of The Stories of Windkeep Tower! Gosh, I'm feeling emotional. This is the biggest project I've ever finished. And you know what? It's word count is almost the size of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. In the past year and a half, this story has expanded to an almost 200,000 word volume! Of course, it isn't really completely over. Like I've said before, I do plan on writing a chapter every now and again to check in with the characters, especially as life is going to continue to go on in Windkeep Tower and I'm just putting the dragons in hibernation. But this is the end of the big arcs. That's why I titled the epilogue what I did. Well, that and [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WY0QcSQf_mc]Fenn's theme song[/url], which seemed strangely fitting. This next week, I should be moving to shadow and starting the first of my pinkerlocke clans! The bit with Topaz at the end was a bit of a hint towards what's coming next, he's going to be one of my starting dragons. By the way, if you want to be on the pinglist for the pinkerlocke, please let me know! I don't want to transfer over any inactive readers! Also, I've come to realize in a lot of ways, Sacredscream represents my writing muse, it only seemed fitting to start and finish The Stories of Windkeep Tower with him. He's been one of the few dragons to follow me through my whole time on flight rising, in every single clan. He won't be a character in my pinkerlocke clans, but I like to think he's there in spirit. ALSO GAOLERS, AM I RIGHT??? I AM SO HYPED I HAVE LITERALLY SPENT ALL DAY ON FLIGHT RISING AND LITERALLY THE ONLY REASON THIS CHAPTER IS AS LATE AS IT IS IS BECAUSE I WAS SO CAUGHT UP IN THE EXCITEMENT AND TRYING TO SNIPE GENES TO FOCUS ON WRITING!!! I ALREADY HAVE THREE GAOLERS!!!

Epilogue(?): No Need to Say Goodbye

25173192_350.png

Sacredscream sat at his desk, enjoying the peace that had returned once again to Windkeep Tower. The only noises that could be heard were the scratch of his quill against parchment and the distant sound of dragons outside. Everything was as it should be.

"Sacredscream?" The tundra looked up from his work to see his queen approaching. He smiled, and put down his quill. He had served Fenn for what seemed like a lifetime, and it was good to be back in her service once more.

"What can I do for you?" Sacredscream asked, suddenly noticing a large puff of brown fur trailing behind the queen. A strange looking hatchling was looking around the room curiously.

"I was wondering what you knew about the Icewarden's gaolers. One of Luster and Cattail's children was caught going through a traveling merchant's wares and it seems she got into the scrolls," Fenn explained, "There are rumors all around Sornieth about the return of the gaolers from ancient times and I wondered if this could be connected."

"Whispers of gaolers have been passing around Sornieth since the the Bounty of the Elements, with many claims of sightings cropping up. Most of them have been proven to be fake, but we mustn't be too careful. After all I thought the moon warriors to be extinct as well," Sacredscream pointed out, "Did you manage to sort out the merchant? They must have been very angry to lose such expensive wares."

"I offered to reimburse Galore out of Windkeep Tower's wallet, as I care more for Miriam's well-being than the expense, but he seemed to be more amused than angry and refused to take payment," Fenn explained, "It was him that seemed to think she might have turned herself into a gaoler."

Sacredscream cast a look at the hatchling again. Fenn was right, she seemed too big and wild to be the run-of-the-mill tundra. "Let's see what literature I have on the topic. Mind you, up until now, most of it is supplied by legend and rumor, and may not be reliable."

"Of course," Fenn smiled, "I simply wish to reassure the parents. Or, parent, I should say. Luster seems to find the whole situation rather hilarious."

"Of course he would," Sacredscream shook his head as he led the two dragons down the cluttered library aisles. Merry obviously hadn't been keeping up with his job. "Ah, here we go!" He pulled down a thick volume off the shelf and flicked through the pages. It was an imagining of what ancient dragons may look like. Merry had brought it back and Sacredscream had written it off as nothing more than fiction, but it might prove to be true if gaolers truly did exist. He stopped as he spotted a familiar shape. He looked up, comparing the child's small horns and stubby wings with the fully grown illustration. Liberties certainly had been taken with the design, but Miriam undeniably fit the bill.

"So?" Fenn asked, noticing the look on the historian's face.

"It appears the rumors are true," Sacredscream confirmed. "Miriam should be fine, she can return to her parents. I can draft a letter to some of my literary friends and see what other information we can find on the habits and and diets of gaolers, but I imagine it may take some time to have some solid information.

"Thank you, Sacredscream," Fenn smiled and dipped her head with relief.

"My pleasure. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have some letters to write and then work to get back to," Sacredscream said, shelving the book, adjusting his glasses and returning to his desk.

"Ah yes, of course. You've been catching up on Windkeep Tower's history!" Fenn smiled, "I'll let you get back to work!" She turned to go, but Sacredscream stopped her.

"Actually, I've finished that," Sacredscream said. "I've started a new project."

"Are you going to tell me what it is, or leave me in suspense?" Fenn asked, her eyes sparkling.

"I figured, Windkeep Tower is such a hub, not only for those who live here, but also for those coming to and from the Windswept Plateau. I've taken a leaf out of Merry's book and decided to document other stories from around Sornieth." Sacredscream explained, growing excited, "After all, between our moon warriors and now the new appearances of gaolers, it appears there is far more in Sornieth than even we know."

"I see! That sounds like a wonderful idea! Will you be traveling to collect these stories?" Fenn asked.

"Me? Goodness no! My place is here, working to support you and your clan. I will be corresponding with dragons in other places to collect stories and craft them into books detailing their adventures. I may not get every fact correct, but Merry has begun to convince me a bit of fiction won't spoil the fact, and that it is stories that live on, not the dates and figures," Sacredscream explained, "Currently, I am looking into what became of one of our old allies. It appears some new information is appearing and its piqued my interest."

"In that case, I won't distract you any longer," Fenn smiled, "I look forward to seeing it when its done!"

"Thank you, my queen." Sacredscream dipped his head and watched as the fae led the gaoler child out of the library. Yes, interesting things had been happening on Sornieth since the Bounty of the Elements, and the thought of having something new to learn invigorated him. Windkeep Tower was sure to be at peace for a while longer, the work documenting its information would not be too taxing, leaving him open to explore the boundless potential and possibilities Sornieth held.

He moved to check his map again. It wasn't there. Confused, he began shifting through the papers and books on his desk, wondering where he had left it. His memory may not be great, but he was certain he had just been looking at it.

"Hey, Merry!" Sacredscream called.

"Yeah?" A small fae head poked out from behind a bookshelf.

"Have you seen my map of the Clan of Resting Wings?" Sacredscream asked. "I seem to have misplaced it."

"I haven't touched it, I swear," Merry vowed, using his finger to sign an 'x' over his heart. "I've just been shelving these new books that came in with the last shipment."

"Are you sure? Because that map is one of a kind, the only one I know of left in existence," Sacredscream reminded his apprentice, "If you've used it for one of your stories-"

"I haven't, I promise you!" Merry squeaked, "The last I saw it, it was on your desk with you!"

"Then I wonder where it wandered off to? It's not as if it could have gone far..." Sacredscream grumbled as he scratched the back of his head. Surely it was around here somewhere?

Topaz waited until he reached his room in his mother's dusty suite to unfurl the map. Lighting a tall, dark candle, he leaned in, eager to drink in all the information he could. His mother told him he had royal blood in his veins, that his grandparents had once been the first king and queen of a clan called The Clan of Resting Wings. And now, here was a map detailing its streets and buildings. In the corner, a signature was written in black ink, reading "Heath."

Of course, it would all be ruin now, but Topaz hoped that the map would be enough of a guide for him to find his way around. His mother may have forgotten his birthright, but he hadn't. He was going to find answers if it was the last thing he ever did.

And here it is! The official last chapter of The Stories of Windkeep Tower! Gosh, I'm feeling emotional. This is the biggest project I've ever finished. And you know what? It's word count is almost the size of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. In the past year and a half, this story has expanded to an almost 200,000 word volume!

Of course, it isn't really completely over. Like I've said before, I do plan on writing a chapter every now and again to check in with the characters, especially as life is going to continue to go on in Windkeep Tower and I'm just putting the dragons in hibernation. But this is the end of the big arcs. That's why I titled the epilogue what I did. Well, that and Fenn's theme song, which seemed strangely fitting.

This next week, I should be moving to shadow and starting the first of my pinkerlocke clans! The bit with Topaz at the end was a bit of a hint towards what's coming next, he's going to be one of my starting dragons. By the way, if you want to be on the pinglist for the pinkerlocke, please let me know! I don't want to transfer over any inactive readers!

Also, I've come to realize in a lot of ways, Sacredscream represents my writing muse, it only seemed fitting to start and finish The Stories of Windkeep Tower with him. He's been one of the few dragons to follow me through my whole time on flight rising, in every single clan. He won't be a character in my pinkerlocke clans, but I like to think he's there in spirit.

ALSO GAOLERS, AM I RIGHT??? I AM SO HYPED I HAVE LITERALLY SPENT ALL DAY ON FLIGHT RISING AND LITERALLY THE ONLY REASON THIS CHAPTER IS AS LATE AS IT IS IS BECAUSE I WAS SO CAUGHT UP IN THE EXCITEMENT AND TRYING TO SNIPE GENES TO FOCUS ON WRITING!!! I ALREADY HAVE THREE GAOLERS!!!
b7742e507b7cf8e2cd71c4f2ffd5a17c3b9f9e2e.png 7ae5f576df9583faed137e7e0ca37146ab2a57b6.png
@Petall Miriam's so cute! The image of her scudding after Fenn like a huge copper cloud is heckin' adorable. xD It'll be interesting to see how various clans will mesh their lore with that of the Gaolers, and it was fun to see the reference to Galore and his freebies here. (I've only got one Gaoler project right now, but it shouldn't take long to finish him. [size=2]Yay for those cheap gem genes![/size]) Ngl, it's gonna take me a while to get used to seeing you in Shadow. But I'm also excited to see how Topaz will navigate things; I imagine he'll just sort of drag the clan along with him. [emoji=gaoler confused size=1]
@Petall Miriam's so cute! The image of her scudding after Fenn like a huge copper cloud is heckin' adorable. xD It'll be interesting to see how various clans will mesh their lore with that of the Gaolers, and it was fun to see the reference to Galore and his freebies here. (I've only got one Gaoler project right now, but it shouldn't take long to finish him. Yay for those cheap gem genes!)

Ngl, it's gonna take me a while to get used to seeing you in Shadow. But I'm also excited to see how Topaz will navigate things; I imagine he'll just sort of drag the clan along with him.
Disillusionist's Lore & More .. {Free} bio resourcesLF Affiliates
female / INTJ / Capricorn / +16 FR time
Clan: FAQ | Stats | Lore Thread | Directory | Avatar
Wishlists: outfits & genes | general | familiars
Please check the spelling of my name when pinging me: @Disillusionist. Thanks!
@Disillusionist

Honestly I've absolutely fallen in love with Miriam! And yeah, I'm so excited to see people incorporate gaolers into their lore!!!

It's going to be strange to be in shadow after almost 3 years in wind! I will still consider myself a wind clan, just traveling around Sornieth searching for new stories to tell! And I'm looking forward to exploring Topaz! With a pinkerlocke, I have even less control over my character choices than in a regular story!
@Disillusionist

Honestly I've absolutely fallen in love with Miriam! And yeah, I'm so excited to see people incorporate gaolers into their lore!!!

It's going to be strange to be in shadow after almost 3 years in wind! I will still consider myself a wind clan, just traveling around Sornieth searching for new stories to tell! And I'm looking forward to exploring Topaz! With a pinkerlocke, I have even less control over my character choices than in a regular story!
@Petall I'm super sorry I missed your ending.... Just caught up, I was on vacation for the finale RIP. Super excited for your Pinkerlocke though! (Also super excited about Gaolers release, I had an ice primal errr.... "primed" for it!) I will miss you in Wind, but who knows, I might even have some of my clan lore swing out Shadow way to meet the pinkerlocke clan and make double clan friends~ And... OMG THAT WAS SUCH A SATISFYING CONCLUSION TO ONE OF MY FAVORITE FLIGHT RISING LORE CLANS! ------ and... congratulations, Petall. You really made something to be proud of. I hope you get a chance to sit down and read your work front to back again in the future, and really realize that you did achieve a goal that, honestly, can seem daunting and impossible. It really is admirable and inspiring, and I myself can say that because I have been inspired by your lore! Here's to all your future endeavors. [emoji=four leaf clover size=1][emoji=ceramic jar size=1][emoji=four leaf clover size=1]
@Petall I'm super sorry I missed your ending.... Just caught up, I was on vacation for the finale RIP. Super excited for your Pinkerlocke though! (Also super excited about Gaolers release, I had an ice primal errr.... "primed" for it!) I will miss you in Wind, but who knows, I might even have some of my clan lore swing out Shadow way to meet the pinkerlocke clan and make double clan friends~ And... OMG THAT WAS SUCH A SATISFYING CONCLUSION TO ONE OF MY FAVORITE FLIGHT RISING LORE CLANS!
and... congratulations, Petall. You really made something to be proud of. I hope you get a chance to sit down and read your work front to back again in the future, and really realize that you did achieve a goal that, honestly, can seem daunting and impossible. It really is admirable and inspiring, and I myself can say that because I have been inspired by your lore! Here's to all your future endeavors.
tumblr_p89rkfc4Pq1wvvm88o2_100.png 63Nkadh.pngtumblr_inline_nlmzw4PbYE1qdxu5r.giflqgXN8M.png
@AlchemyFox

You were just right on time! I just posted the epilogue a few hours ago!

I'D LOVE TO BE DOUBLE CLAN FRIENDS I TOTALLY WILL BE HAVING TWO CLANS BECAUSE I AM KEEPING WINDKEEP!!!

Thank you so so much, your words mean so much to me right now. I'm honestly feeling so emotional about this whole thing!
@AlchemyFox

You were just right on time! I just posted the epilogue a few hours ago!

I'D LOVE TO BE DOUBLE CLAN FRIENDS I TOTALLY WILL BE HAVING TWO CLANS BECAUSE I AM KEEPING WINDKEEP!!!

Thank you so so much, your words mean so much to me right now. I'm honestly feeling so emotional about this whole thing!
@Petall sad to see the main arcs end, good writing!
I wouldn’t mind being on the pinkerlocke pinglist, if that’s alright.
Also gaolers are awesome, but I can’t figure out how to put them in my lore yet.
@Petall sad to see the main arcs end, good writing!
I wouldn’t mind being on the pinkerlocke pinglist, if that’s alright.
Also gaolers are awesome, but I can’t figure out how to put them in my lore yet.
@catmeow1

I'm sad to see it end too, but I'm excited for my next project! I'll definitely add you to the pinglist for my pinkerlocke!

Fair enough! It definitely shakes some things up!
@catmeow1

I'm sad to see it end too, but I'm excited for my next project! I'll definitely add you to the pinglist for my pinkerlocke!

Fair enough! It definitely shakes some things up!
----- [center][url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2383572/78#post_39268525]Previous[/url][/center] ----- [center][b][u]Interlude 5: Robin - The Soother[/u][/b] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=44107752] [img]http://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=0&body=169&bodygene=2&breed=4&element=10&eyetype=0&gender=1&tert=36&tertgene=5&winggene=6&wings=144&auth=1946c8fe262ab4c3a5b4ee3c689a2cb1507c9447&dummyext=prev.png[/img] [/url][/center] The hatchling knew she was different; she had known for a long time. For one, her flock walked on two legs, using their other two limbs solely to hold and carry other objects. Secondly, none of them seemed to possess the pearl she had instinctively produced upon her hatching. She didn't have a name, at least, not one she could speak. While she could somewhat understand what her flock was saying, they spoke in garbled words her mouth had troubles forming. Sometimes, they spoke to her with words she understood much more easily, but they seemed far less fluent. Her flock didn't treat her particularly poorly, but they didn't welcome her as one of their own either. She often caught them eying her with suspicion, as though worried she would turn on them. She didn't know what they were afraid of, or what they were hoping for. She wished she could help them, but whatever they were looking for, she couldn't give them. Life with the flock was all she had ever known and all she possessed, they had given to her. Still, they seemed to be waiting for something, watching her as if they expected her to explode. It made her nervous. What weren't they telling her? What were they so scared of? Her morning started out ordinarily enough, training following a breakfast of insects. Her training sessions had been growing increasingly more difficult, pushing on the edge of dangerous. She was beginning to grow worried that her trainer would kill her if he wasn't careful. He didn't seem to be holding back anymore. The hatchling was shaking from the effort, while the trainer leered over her, preparing for another attack. That was when a shadow fell over the clearing, and an attack descended. She had never quite seen creatures like this before, and yet they seemed more familiar to her than anything she had ever known. She knew that she should be afraid, but all she felt was awe. These draconic bodies matched her own. They were like her. Her awe only lasted a moment, as the moment as broken by the talons of her trainer pierced her head, knocking her over. He pinned her neck to the ground and she struggled to breathe, squirming to break free. Yet, her captors hold remained secure. "Move closer and I'll kill her," she heard her captor say, but the newcomers couldn't seem to understand him. Still, seeing the child in such a dangerous position, they halted. [center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=27871527] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/278716/27871527_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] One of the new creatures stepped forward. Her scales were deep violet and lilac banners trailed behind her, fluttering in the wind. She did not appear afraid, there was a sharpness to her icy gaze that sent a thrill of emotion through the hatchling. The creature was not going to back down, and that realization made her heart pound louder in her chest. She didn't doubt that her trainer would kill her if it came down to it. The talons pressed deeper as one of the creatures behind the violet one notched a bow. The leader raised a hand to stop, and the soldier obeyed. Her trainer's grip loosened and she felt air flood her lungs again, along with something new. The apparent leader of the newcomers began to speak, but the child wasn't listening. She sensed something new inside of her stomach, begging her to reach out. Instinctively, she obeyed, feeling a warmth fill her belly as she grasped hold of something within her trainer and suppressed it. His anger faded rapidly, and he stared wide-eyed at the hatchling. She used this opportunity to quell his courage, leaving his fear intact. Her trainer began to shake, and nervously stepped away from the newcomers, kicking the child's body towards the gathered creatures. "Take her!" Her trainer squawked. "Just don't hurt me!" Once again, the leader showed no sign of understanding, but instead rushed to check the child for wounds. In the relief of the release, she felt the adreanaline drain from her, and she began to grow dizzy. She could hear the creature speaking to her, but she could only pick out a few words of the language. As she was scooped into the air, she lost consciousness, slipping into the comforting darkness. [center][img]https://orig00.deviantart.net/e0bf/f/2018/247/7/5/divider_by_cas_a_fras-dcm237t.png[/img][/center] It took about two week of airship travel to make the journey to the Windswept Plateau, and in that time the young child learned a lot. She learned that she was a dragon. A pearlcatcher, more specifically. She learned that she had been stolen as an egg and raised by talonok, and that Nymph had led a party tp rescue her. She picked up the draconic language quickly, finding the sounds come to her mouth far easier than the chirping talonok diolect, but there was still much she didn't understand about her rescue and the outside world. She only once asked a question, to determine the fate of her siblings, but Nymph explained that the other rescue parties had been assigned to the other two hatchlings. In order to get her to safety, she had not been able to search for the other two. After hearing her bird-like accent, Nymph had given her the name Robin. [center][img]https://orig00.deviantart.net/e0bf/f/2018/247/7/5/divider_by_cas_a_fras-dcm237t.png[/img][/center] Compared to the flock of talonok, Windkeep Tower was overwhelmingly bust. Robin had never been in a group this large before, let alone been around this many dragons. Instinctively, she moved to soothe the dragons around her and slow their bustle, but there were far too many for her to reach them all. Instead, she pressed into Nymph, already coming to trust the nocturne. Some of the dragons were far larger than anything she had ever seen, and they scared her. Perhaps picking up on her anxiety, Nymph pulled into the air, away from the crowds, and carried Robin to the top of the tower. A fire blazed brightly, warming her shivering body. She longed to ask where they were going, but she couldn't seem to find her voice. Nymph banked down in front of the largest of the houses atop the tower and knocked on the front door. A bright orange wildclaw opened it, flames dancing down her back, bright as the fire outside. Robin couldn't help but be afraid. [center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=17420518] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/174206/17420518_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] "Is this-" The wildclaw asked, her gaze growing warm. Robin moved toward her curiously, calming any anger or fear in the fiery dragon. To her surprise, there was no change. "Fenn told me you'd be willing to take any hatchlings we were able to rescue," Nymph confirmed. "This is Robin." She turned to the hatchling. "Robin, this is Amberlyn, she'd going to look after you." Robin nodded, not completely understanding. Suddenly, Nymph slipped her into Amberlyn's arms, wished her well, and disappeared, saying something about needing to report back to Fenn. The hatchling was very afraid. All of this was unfamiliar to her, and she expected this new dragon to be hostile toward her the way the talonok had been. She was even more afraid when another dragon thrust into the room, shouting at the top of her lungs. [center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=42080475] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/420805/42080475_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] "Are they here?!" The dragon exclaimed, grinning ear to ear. She was quite young, though fully grown, and she appeared to be limping. ONe of her wings and legs were twisted unnaturally, and were not as large as her other appendages. Robin had seen talonok and dragons wounded from fighting, but this seemed different. She did not see any scars. "Mollie!" Amberlyn hushed. "Be careful, she's a bit nervous, and rightly so." "Sorry, I'm just excited to be getting a sister!" Mollie said, a little more quietly this time, though excitement gleamed in her eyes. "I know," Amberlyn replied, a similar excited look in her own eyes. Sister. That was a new word for Robin. Somehow, it relaxed her. She would be safe here. [center][img]https://orig00.deviantart.net/e0bf/f/2018/247/7/5/divider_by_cas_a_fras-dcm237t.png[/img][/center] [center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=44107752] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/441078/44107752_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] Amberlyn had a big family, and they all welcomed Robin as one of their own, despite their lack of blood connection. There were always dragons around as Robin grew up. Some, like Amberlyn and Mollie, were constants, while others popped in from time to time to visit. Occasionally, Amberlyn would host big family dinners, and the house would be packed full with dragons as they all dined together. In other words, Robin quickly got used to the company of other dragons. At one such dinner, the conversation moved to Rubywing's recent attempts to form an alliance with a talonok flock that had moved into the area. The language barrier was proving to be an issue. [center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=42353367] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/423534/42353367_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] "They don't speak much draconic, even those that act as interpreters," Rubywing explained, shaking her head. "It's impossible to work out what they're saying, or even if they mean what I think they do, and dragon/beastclan relations are unstable as they are. I don't want to accidentally provoke a war, we had enough on our hands fighting off Daisy Mae's army." [center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=41349508] [img]http://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/dressing-room/dragon?did=41349508&skin=24908&apparel=18774,23723,21853&xt=dressing.png[/img] [/url][/center] "Maybe I could get Tess to interpret," Querida offered. Robin had tried to steer clear of her manticore friend, despite reassurances that she meant no harm. "I already asked," Rubywing sighed, responding to her mother. "She doesn't know talonok. Different beastclans have different languages, and manticores aren't allied under Talona, so they aren't required to learn the general beastclans dialect." "Robin knows talonok!" Mollie exclaimed, looking at the pearlcatcher. The table fell silent, which somehow made everything worse. Everyone knew Robin didn't like to talk about her time with the talonok, however brief it had been. Though, the pearlcatcher couldn't deny that there were aspects that lingered since the rescue. "You don't have to do anything you don't want to do," Rubywing reminded her softly. Robin took a deep breath to settle herself, and send a wave of soothing to quell everyone's discomfort before she responded. "Mollie's right. I'm not entirely fluent speaking it, but I understand it to hear it," Robin explained. "I would personally like to avoid a war with the talonok if I can help it, I know what they are capable of. I'd like to help, if I can." Rubywing beamed. "Great! Why don't you come to work with me tomorrow then! We can sort everything out there." [center][img]https://orig00.deviantart.net/e0bf/f/2018/247/7/5/divider_by_cas_a_fras-dcm237t.png[/img][/center] With Robin's help, negotiations with the talonok went smoothly. It went so well, in fact, that Rubywing offered the pearlcatcher a position in the embassy as beastclans ambassador. Having seen that not all beastclans were like the talonok who had hatched her, Robin grew curious about the diversity in beastclan tradition, and so she agreed. Once she focused on learning the various beastclan languages, the picked them up rather quickly. Her pronunciation wasn't perfect, but she spoke well enough to navigate the political ins and outs of ambassadorial work. Still, between work and the busyness of Amberlyn's house, Robin was finding she had less and less time for herself. It was driving her up the wall. Eventaully, she came to the decision to move from the busy tower to the forested gardens a short ways away. While the majority of Windkeep Tower's population lived in the tower itself, the gardens held a handful of small houses for those who wanted to live somewhere quieter. It wasn't that she disliked living among the Amberlyn family, she just needed her own space. After the move, Robin took to regular walks through the gardens in the mornings and evenings. Being among nature reminded her of her birth element, and made her winder what life would have been like had the talonok not stolen her egg. What were her parents like? Did they know she was alive? She shook her head. It didn't do to dwell on suck things. She had a family, she had a clan. She had no want for anything, so why ask questions that couldn't be answered? Trying to distract herself, she focused on the birdsong around her. It wasn't all too different from the harmonic tones of the talonok language. She sang in response, talking to the birds. To her surprise, they answered. It wasn't a language in the conventional way, but she found they were still able to communicate. Robin got so lost in her conversation with the birds that she didn't notice the approach of another dragon. She jumped in surprise as he crossed her field of vision. [center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=47551944] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/475520/47551944_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] "Were you... talking to the birds?" The coatl asked. He was a brilliant green, and his wings were like glass. His golden eyes marked him a child of the light flight. "Yes," Robin responded, feeling slightly embarrassed. She didn't like to appear odd. "I thought it might be a new species of familiar," the coatl responded sheepishly. "I'm Porter, by the way." "Robin," The pearlcatcher responded. "Do you normally assume dragons to be familiars?" "I work with familiars," Porter explained. "Living out here, sometimes I get lost in my work and forget about other dragons." "You live out here too?" Robin asked. She had yet to meet any of her neighbours. "Yeah," Porter smiled weakly. "Did you just move here? I've been meaning to drop by and welcome you to the area, but I've been busy." "I moved from Amberlyn's house. I love the family dearly, but they can be bit much sometimes," Robin admitted. "Wait, are you the one that was raised by talonok?" Porter's eyes widened. "What was it like? What were they like?" "Well..." Robin shifted uncomfortably. "Oh, I'm so sorry! You don't want to talk about it, do you?" Porter asked, mortified. "I just got overly excited for a moment, I'm sorry. That was rude of me to ask." "Actually, it probably would be good to talk about it with someone," Robin admitted. "Please don't take this the wrong way, but if you want, you could drop by my house sometime. I could make some tea and you could talk to me about it," Porter offered. "When you're ready, of course. And only when you want to." "Thank you, I appreciate it." Robin nodded, genuinely meaning it. "Well, I don't want to keep you from the rest of your walk, and I have familiars to feed, so I should be on my way," Porter said, glancing at the sun's sinking position in the sky. "You have a beautiful voice by the way." And then he was gone. Robin couldn't help but stare at the path he had disappeared down. Porter had been sweet. She was glad to have such a nice neighbour. [center][img]https://orig00.deviantart.net/e0bf/f/2018/247/7/5/divider_by_cas_a_fras-dcm237t.png[/img][/center] "We found it!" Robin exclaimed, fired up with unusual energy. Porter looked up from the book he had been reading. In the years since they had met that day in the gardens, the two had become quite close. They even had a couple nests together. Robin had never seen herself with a mate, so her relationship with Porter had been a pleasant surprise. "Found what?" Porter asked, picking up on Robin's excitement. "My birth clan!" Robin exclaimed, hardly believing what she was saying. With Rubywing's help, Robin had begun seeking out her birth family during the quiet hours of the day. It had taken a while, but with Rubywing's connections, they had managed to track down a possible match. "Really?" Porter asked, growing excited as the news began to sink in. "Yeah! There's a small clan in nature that's had trouble with a talonok flock, and they've had eggs go missing!" Robin explained. "There's a pearlcatcher named Cadmium, and apparently he lost a nest, and the timing fits!" "So, what are you going to do?" Porter asked. Robin could tell he was nervous. He would follow her to the ends of Sornieth in a heartbeat, but she knew he also loved his life in Windkeep Tower. He had family here. Robin loved Windkeep Tower too, and she wasn't ready to go traipsing across the globe for the sake of a possibility of another dragon sharing her blood. Without thinking about it, she soothed his anxiety before responding. "I'm going to write him a letter!" Robin said. She immediately rushed over to grab a fresh piece of parchment and she began to write... [i]Hello Dad, I hope I've gotten this right. I hatched among tolonok so tracking you down has been a difficult task. If I have gotten the wrong address, please feel free to ignore this...[/i] ----- [center][url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2383572/79#post_40466893]Next[/url][/center] ----- [center]@CleverDual @Alwaid @zzzhorses @Amezrou @ScrivenerRook @Kizzan @clarax @lilastar @tigressRising @Disillusionist @Aetherstorm @rainphee @FallenEclipse @Tirtouga678 @catmeow1 @ShinyDecidueye @AlchemyFox @demitri[/center] ----- See, I told you I'd come back to Windkeep Tower. I don't think it will be often, but when the inspiration hits, there will probably be a chapter here and there. "Interludes" (i.e. backstories) will also be peppered in. I have to thank @Leopardmask for the inspiration for this chapter. I wrote it while camping last week after I finished reading the Mistborn Trilogy by Brandon Sanderson, which they recommended to me! Robin's origin story also comes from their pinkerlocke, [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/1807478]Nameless[/url], as Robin was a spare hatchling I adopted from the story. I hope you don't mind the ping, I thought you'd appreciate to see what Ziv and Cadmium's daughter has been up to in more detail!

Interlude 5: Robin - The Soother

dragon?age=0&body=169&bodygene=2&breed=4&element=10&eyetype=0&gender=1&tert=36&tertgene=5&winggene=6&wings=144&auth=1946c8fe262ab4c3a5b4ee3c689a2cb1507c9447&dummyext=prev.png

The hatchling knew she was different; she had known for a long time. For one, her flock walked on two legs, using their other two limbs solely to hold and carry other objects. Secondly, none of them seemed to possess the pearl she had instinctively produced upon her hatching.

She didn't have a name, at least, not one she could speak. While she could somewhat understand what her flock was saying, they spoke in garbled words her mouth had troubles forming. Sometimes, they spoke to her with words she understood much more easily, but they seemed far less fluent.

Her flock didn't treat her particularly poorly, but they didn't welcome her as one of their own either. She often caught them eying her with suspicion, as though worried she would turn on them. She didn't know what they were afraid of, or what they were hoping for. She wished she could help them, but whatever they were looking for, she couldn't give them. Life with the flock was all she had ever known and all she possessed, they had given to her.

Still, they seemed to be waiting for something, watching her as if they expected her to explode. It made her nervous. What weren't they telling her? What were they so scared of?

Her morning started out ordinarily enough, training following a breakfast of insects. Her training sessions had been growing increasingly more difficult, pushing on the edge of dangerous. She was beginning to grow worried that her trainer would kill her if he wasn't careful. He didn't seem to be holding back anymore. The hatchling was shaking from the effort, while the trainer leered over her, preparing for another attack. That was when a shadow fell over the clearing, and an attack descended.

She had never quite seen creatures like this before, and yet they seemed more familiar to her than anything she had ever known. She knew that she should be afraid, but all she felt was awe. These draconic bodies matched her own. They were like her.

Her awe only lasted a moment, as the moment as broken by the talons of her trainer pierced her head, knocking her over. He pinned her neck to the ground and she struggled to breathe, squirming to break free. Yet, her captors hold remained secure.

"Move closer and I'll kill her," she heard her captor say, but the newcomers couldn't seem to understand him. Still, seeing the child in such a dangerous position, they halted.

One of the new creatures stepped forward. Her scales were deep violet and lilac banners trailed behind her, fluttering in the wind. She did not appear afraid, there was a sharpness to her icy gaze that sent a thrill of emotion through the hatchling. The creature was not going to back down, and that realization made her heart pound louder in her chest. She didn't doubt that her trainer would kill her if it came down to it.

The talons pressed deeper as one of the creatures behind the violet one notched a bow. The leader raised a hand to stop, and the soldier obeyed. Her trainer's grip loosened and she felt air flood her lungs again, along with something new.

The apparent leader of the newcomers began to speak, but the child wasn't listening. She sensed something new inside of her stomach, begging her to reach out. Instinctively, she obeyed, feeling a warmth fill her belly as she grasped hold of something within her trainer and suppressed it. His anger faded rapidly, and he stared wide-eyed at the hatchling. She used this opportunity to quell his courage, leaving his fear intact.

Her trainer began to shake, and nervously stepped away from the newcomers, kicking the child's body towards the gathered creatures.

"Take her!" Her trainer squawked. "Just don't hurt me!"

Once again, the leader showed no sign of understanding, but instead rushed to check the child for wounds. In the relief of the release, she felt the adreanaline drain from her, and she began to grow dizzy. She could hear the creature speaking to her, but she could only pick out a few words of the language. As she was scooped into the air, she lost consciousness, slipping into the comforting darkness.

divider_by_cas_a_fras-dcm237t.png

It took about two week of airship travel to make the journey to the Windswept Plateau, and in that time the young child learned a lot. She learned that she was a dragon. A pearlcatcher, more specifically. She learned that she had been stolen as an egg and raised by talonok, and that Nymph had led a party tp rescue her. She picked up the draconic language quickly, finding the sounds come to her mouth far easier than the chirping talonok diolect, but there was still much she didn't understand about her rescue and the outside world.

She only once asked a question, to determine the fate of her siblings, but Nymph explained that the other rescue parties had been assigned to the other two hatchlings. In order to get her to safety, she had not been able to search for the other two.

After hearing her bird-like accent, Nymph had given her the name Robin.

Compared to the flock of talonok, Windkeep Tower was overwhelmingly bust. Robin had never been in a group this large before, let alone been around this many dragons. Instinctively, she moved to soothe the dragons around her and slow their bustle, but there were far too many for her to reach them all. Instead, she pressed into Nymph, already coming to trust the nocturne. Some of the dragons were far larger than anything she had ever seen, and they scared her.

Perhaps picking up on her anxiety, Nymph pulled into the air, away from the crowds, and carried Robin to the top of the tower. A fire blazed brightly, warming her shivering body. She longed to ask where they were going, but she couldn't seem to find her voice.

Nymph banked down in front of the largest of the houses atop the tower and knocked on the front door. A bright orange wildclaw opened it, flames dancing down her back, bright as the fire outside. Robin couldn't help but be afraid.

"Is this-" The wildclaw asked, her gaze growing warm. Robin moved toward her curiously, calming any anger or fear in the fiery dragon. To her surprise, there was no change.

"Fenn told me you'd be willing to take any hatchlings we were able to rescue," Nymph confirmed. "This is Robin." She turned to the hatchling. "Robin, this is Amberlyn, she'd going to look after you."

Robin nodded, not completely understanding. Suddenly, Nymph slipped her into Amberlyn's arms, wished her well, and disappeared, saying something about needing to report back to Fenn. The hatchling was very afraid. All of this was unfamiliar to her, and she expected this new dragon to be hostile toward her the way the talonok had been. She was even more afraid when another dragon thrust into the room, shouting at the top of her lungs.

"Are they here?!" The dragon exclaimed, grinning ear to ear. She was quite young, though fully grown, and she appeared to be limping. ONe of her wings and legs were twisted unnaturally, and were not as large as her other appendages. Robin had seen talonok and dragons wounded from fighting, but this seemed different. She did not see any scars.

"Mollie!" Amberlyn hushed. "Be careful, she's a bit nervous, and rightly so."

"Sorry, I'm just excited to be getting a sister!" Mollie said, a little more quietly this time, though excitement gleamed in her eyes.

"I know," Amberlyn replied, a similar excited look in her own eyes.

Sister. That was a new word for Robin. Somehow, it relaxed her. She would be safe here.

Amberlyn had a big family, and they all welcomed Robin as one of their own, despite their lack of blood connection. There were always dragons around as Robin grew up. Some, like Amberlyn and Mollie, were constants, while others popped in from time to time to visit. Occasionally, Amberlyn would host big family dinners, and the house would be packed full with dragons as they all dined together. In other words, Robin quickly got used to the company of other dragons.

At one such dinner, the conversation moved to Rubywing's recent attempts to form an alliance with a talonok flock that had moved into the area. The language barrier was proving to be an issue.

"They don't speak much draconic, even those that act as interpreters," Rubywing explained, shaking her head. "It's impossible to work out what they're saying, or even if they mean what I think they do, and dragon/beastclan relations are unstable as they are. I don't want to accidentally provoke a war, we had enough on our hands fighting off Daisy Mae's army."

"Maybe I could get Tess to interpret," Querida offered. Robin had tried to steer clear of her manticore friend, despite reassurances that she meant no harm.

"I already asked," Rubywing sighed, responding to her mother. "She doesn't know talonok. Different beastclans have different languages, and manticores aren't allied under Talona, so they aren't required to learn the general beastclans dialect."

"Robin knows talonok!" Mollie exclaimed, looking at the pearlcatcher. The table fell silent, which somehow made everything worse. Everyone knew Robin didn't like to talk about her time with the talonok, however brief it had been. Though, the pearlcatcher couldn't deny that there were aspects that lingered since the rescue.

"You don't have to do anything you don't want to do," Rubywing reminded her softly. Robin took a deep breath to settle herself, and send a wave of soothing to quell everyone's discomfort before she responded.

"Mollie's right. I'm not entirely fluent speaking it, but I understand it to hear it," Robin explained. "I would personally like to avoid a war with the talonok if I can help it, I know what they are capable of. I'd like to help, if I can."

Rubywing beamed. "Great! Why don't you come to work with me tomorrow then! We can sort everything out there."

With Robin's help, negotiations with the talonok went smoothly. It went so well, in fact, that Rubywing offered the pearlcatcher a position in the embassy as beastclans ambassador. Having seen that not all beastclans were like the talonok who had hatched her, Robin grew curious about the diversity in beastclan tradition, and so she agreed.

Once she focused on learning the various beastclan languages, the picked them up rather quickly. Her pronunciation wasn't perfect, but she spoke well enough to navigate the political ins and outs of ambassadorial work.

Still, between work and the busyness of Amberlyn's house, Robin was finding she had less and less time for herself. It was driving her up the wall. Eventaully, she came to the decision to move from the busy tower to the forested gardens a short ways away. While the majority of Windkeep Tower's population lived in the tower itself, the gardens held a handful of small houses for those who wanted to live somewhere quieter.

It wasn't that she disliked living among the Amberlyn family, she just needed her own space.

After the move, Robin took to regular walks through the gardens in the mornings and evenings. Being among nature reminded her of her birth element, and made her winder what life would have been like had the talonok not stolen her egg. What were her parents like? Did they know she was alive? She shook her head. It didn't do to dwell on suck things. She had a family, she had a clan. She had no want for anything, so why ask questions that couldn't be answered?

Trying to distract herself, she focused on the birdsong around her. It wasn't all too different from the harmonic tones of the talonok language. She sang in response, talking to the birds. To her surprise, they answered. It wasn't a language in the conventional way, but she found they were still able to communicate.

Robin got so lost in her conversation with the birds that she didn't notice the approach of another dragon. She jumped in surprise as he crossed her field of vision.

"Were you... talking to the birds?" The coatl asked. He was a brilliant green, and his wings were like glass. His golden eyes marked him a child of the light flight.

"Yes," Robin responded, feeling slightly embarrassed. She didn't like to appear odd.

"I thought it might be a new species of familiar," the coatl responded sheepishly. "I'm Porter, by the way."

"Robin," The pearlcatcher responded. "Do you normally assume dragons to be familiars?"

"I work with familiars," Porter explained. "Living out here, sometimes I get lost in my work and forget about other dragons."

"You live out here too?" Robin asked. She had yet to meet any of her neighbours.

"Yeah," Porter smiled weakly. "Did you just move here? I've been meaning to drop by and welcome you to the area, but I've been busy."

"I moved from Amberlyn's house. I love the family dearly, but they can be bit much sometimes," Robin admitted.

"Wait, are you the one that was raised by talonok?" Porter's eyes widened. "What was it like? What were they like?"

"Well..." Robin shifted uncomfortably.

"Oh, I'm so sorry! You don't want to talk about it, do you?" Porter asked, mortified. "I just got overly excited for a moment, I'm sorry. That was rude of me to ask."

"Actually, it probably would be good to talk about it with someone," Robin admitted.

"Please don't take this the wrong way, but if you want, you could drop by my house sometime. I could make some tea and you could talk to me about it," Porter offered. "When you're ready, of course. And only when you want to."

"Thank you, I appreciate it." Robin nodded, genuinely meaning it.

"Well, I don't want to keep you from the rest of your walk, and I have familiars to feed, so I should be on my way," Porter said, glancing at the sun's sinking position in the sky. "You have a beautiful voice by the way."

And then he was gone. Robin couldn't help but stare at the path he had disappeared down. Porter had been sweet. She was glad to have such a nice neighbour.

"We found it!" Robin exclaimed, fired up with unusual energy. Porter looked up from the book he had been reading. In the years since they had met that day in the gardens, the two had become quite close. They even had a couple nests together. Robin had never seen herself with a mate, so her relationship with Porter had been a pleasant surprise.

"Found what?" Porter asked, picking up on Robin's excitement.

"My birth clan!" Robin exclaimed, hardly believing what she was saying. With Rubywing's help, Robin had begun seeking out her birth family during the quiet hours of the day. It had taken a while, but with Rubywing's connections, they had managed to track down a possible match.

"Really?" Porter asked, growing excited as the news began to sink in.

"Yeah! There's a small clan in nature that's had trouble with a talonok flock, and they've had eggs go missing!" Robin explained. "There's a pearlcatcher named Cadmium, and apparently he lost a nest, and the timing fits!"

"So, what are you going to do?" Porter asked. Robin could tell he was nervous. He would follow her to the ends of Sornieth in a heartbeat, but she knew he also loved his life in Windkeep Tower. He had family here. Robin loved Windkeep Tower too, and she wasn't ready to go traipsing across the globe for the sake of a possibility of another dragon sharing her blood. Without thinking about it, she soothed his anxiety before responding.

"I'm going to write him a letter!" Robin said. She immediately rushed over to grab a fresh piece of parchment and she began to write...

Hello Dad,

I hope I've gotten this right. I hatched among tolonok so tracking you down has been a difficult task. If I have gotten the wrong address, please feel free to ignore this...

See, I told you I'd come back to Windkeep Tower. I don't think it will be often, but when the inspiration hits, there will probably be a chapter here and there. "Interludes" (i.e. backstories) will also be peppered in.

I have to thank @Leopardmask for the inspiration for this chapter. I wrote it while camping last week after I finished reading the Mistborn Trilogy by Brandon Sanderson, which they recommended to me! Robin's origin story also comes from their pinkerlocke, Nameless, as Robin was a spare hatchling I adopted from the story. I hope you don't mind the ping, I thought you'd appreciate to see what Ziv and Cadmium's daughter has been up to in more detail!
1 2 ... 73 74 75 76 77 78 79