Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Unnamed/Exalted Family Tree Solutions
1 2 3 4 5 6
I like the idea of a cosmetic marker that something about the dragon is different than the way it appears like a silhouette marker. Because, ideally, my dragon would appear the way I want it to appear to everyone. It's not like there's a toggle for everyone who doesn't want to see the way dragons are affected by the silhouette scroll. I think that's why it would be best if we could change our dragons' offspring lists aesthetics for everyone. Because we should be in control of the way our dragon looks without giving up participation in a major part of the site, I think.
I like the idea of a cosmetic marker that something about the dragon is different than the way it appears like a silhouette marker. Because, ideally, my dragon would appear the way I want it to appear to everyone. It's not like there's a toggle for everyone who doesn't want to see the way dragons are affected by the silhouette scroll. I think that's why it would be best if we could change our dragons' offspring lists aesthetics for everyone. Because we should be in control of the way our dragon looks without giving up participation in a major part of the site, I think.
Cheerful Chime Almedha | share project
Fandragons
Lore Starts Here (WIP)
I collect Pulsing Relics!
candle-smol.png ____
47432632.png
@ProbablySkeletor @Mysteik @Stormfly @MistFury0 So I went through and revised my idea, scrapping idea one completely due to popular opinion (which I agree with you all completely). Idea two is winded, but I tried to smooth out some holes so that original bloodlines are preserved, unedited, and visible by all, as well as having an optional "edited/updated" family tree which the user can make visible to others or kept privately. They can choose to hide the original bloodlines for themselves only as well as individual dragons (again for themselves/not effecting anyone else) and this can easily be undone and set to default. How does that sound?
@ProbablySkeletor @Mysteik @Stormfly @MistFury0 So I went through and revised my idea, scrapping idea one completely due to popular opinion (which I agree with you all completely). Idea two is winded, but I tried to smooth out some holes so that original bloodlines are preserved, unedited, and visible by all, as well as having an optional "edited/updated" family tree which the user can make visible to others or kept privately. They can choose to hide the original bloodlines for themselves only as well as individual dragons (again for themselves/not effecting anyone else) and this can easily be undone and set to default. How does that sound?
I actually really like the idea that there's a second tab to the bio that shows a full family tree. Though, if the tree is there, is the general offspring list really needed on the profile where it's always been (like, are two on the same page necessary)?

If it's not a separate page, (and as much as I like the Lineage visible on the profile and wouldnt want it hidden due to my own projects), from a design standpoint it'd probably be best to only have one on one single page. And this could open the lineage box up for some other use.
I'd suggest condensing, by throwing the traditional lineage as the default view in the bio tab, with the option to expand it and see ancestors and offspring in a full family tree view. And a toggle in settings for your personal default.

I like that you can hide/view who you show on the tree. Even if it's public, if it shows a little + or - symbol where the dragon should be, I think it'd be fine for others to see, as it's something they can expand on and is unique to each userpage.
I agree there definitely needs to be some sort of symbol to indicate things have been altered. A toggle between altered and unaltered in the corner of the tab would be pretty neat.

As I said I think a joint design of anything would be cause for a lot of strife. The offspring list would likely currently count as a joint option to some degree as you can influence others' via name (or what prompted this, Unnamed).
Given everyone would be able to alter their dragon's family tree and what's visible, I don't really see why this is needed, as both parties could just make the same changes on their ends so it reads the same, while still giving individual aesthetic options if they happen to disagree.

I would also have settings unique to the tab tbh. An edit button in the corner or bottom, like with the regular custom bio tab. There is already a lot in the dragon's profile settings and it sometimes takes longer to load than other pages, though that may just be my phone (?).

Honestly, I think another solution to this with this being as incredibly customizable as it is, would be a second custom tab. You can already make family trees in the bio, and this would allow a ton of fancy coding. Given the suggestion doesn't actually fix the offspring list problem in the default lineage box, but adds a tree in a second tab where the bio is, a second custom tab would open up a bunch of options for anyone to do whatever they want with, especially if you don't want any family tree beyond the default, and there would be no coding involved for the devs in terms of added mechanics.
Perhaps add a second custom tab, and you can choose from a list of 'templates' the site provides that it can pull information for, with the family tree as an option the site can atuofill information for. That gives more for players that don't want a tree and want more space for lore or a full tab art gallery.

I think an automatic family tree would be nice, though I probably wouldn't edit it, and I definitely like that siblings are optional now! I think it'd be a pretty neat addition to have the option of seeing an expanded tree and lineage without having to keep track of hundreds of dragons by hand.
I actually really like the idea that there's a second tab to the bio that shows a full family tree. Though, if the tree is there, is the general offspring list really needed on the profile where it's always been (like, are two on the same page necessary)?

If it's not a separate page, (and as much as I like the Lineage visible on the profile and wouldnt want it hidden due to my own projects), from a design standpoint it'd probably be best to only have one on one single page. And this could open the lineage box up for some other use.
I'd suggest condensing, by throwing the traditional lineage as the default view in the bio tab, with the option to expand it and see ancestors and offspring in a full family tree view. And a toggle in settings for your personal default.

I like that you can hide/view who you show on the tree. Even if it's public, if it shows a little + or - symbol where the dragon should be, I think it'd be fine for others to see, as it's something they can expand on and is unique to each userpage.
I agree there definitely needs to be some sort of symbol to indicate things have been altered. A toggle between altered and unaltered in the corner of the tab would be pretty neat.

As I said I think a joint design of anything would be cause for a lot of strife. The offspring list would likely currently count as a joint option to some degree as you can influence others' via name (or what prompted this, Unnamed).
Given everyone would be able to alter their dragon's family tree and what's visible, I don't really see why this is needed, as both parties could just make the same changes on their ends so it reads the same, while still giving individual aesthetic options if they happen to disagree.

I would also have settings unique to the tab tbh. An edit button in the corner or bottom, like with the regular custom bio tab. There is already a lot in the dragon's profile settings and it sometimes takes longer to load than other pages, though that may just be my phone (?).

Honestly, I think another solution to this with this being as incredibly customizable as it is, would be a second custom tab. You can already make family trees in the bio, and this would allow a ton of fancy coding. Given the suggestion doesn't actually fix the offspring list problem in the default lineage box, but adds a tree in a second tab where the bio is, a second custom tab would open up a bunch of options for anyone to do whatever they want with, especially if you don't want any family tree beyond the default, and there would be no coding involved for the devs in terms of added mechanics.
Perhaps add a second custom tab, and you can choose from a list of 'templates' the site provides that it can pull information for, with the family tree as an option the site can atuofill information for. That gives more for players that don't want a tree and want more space for lore or a full tab art gallery.

I think an automatic family tree would be nice, though I probably wouldn't edit it, and I definitely like that siblings are optional now! I think it'd be a pretty neat addition to have the option of seeing an expanded tree and lineage without having to keep track of hundreds of dragons by hand.
button_97x95.png[ Please do not PM me. 1623960663678.png
DSfOOlg.png
68388386.png 1623960663678.png 68483984.png
Everyone sees this site through their very narrow point of view.

Where the OP sees "popular" I see "extremely disliked, ridiculous suggestion being brought back from the dead." Heavily commented on suggestions are often so because they dismay onlookers like a car on fire.

Given the site policy the entire naming issue is already resolved. If the dragon isn't in your lair it's not your concern unless the name is an actual issue.

Short version of family trees and various renaming of dragons not in your lair: Entirely headcanon for each player. Do it yourself with no repercussions to the rest of us trying to play.

Long version:

As far as the entire family tree goes having family tree software is fairly superfluous. There are dozens of free family tree makers online (I like Echo). Family trees are fine for people because it turns out people have a limit to the amount of children they can have in a lifetime as well as prohibitions against incest.

Dragons live forever here and can continue to breed indefinitely. We're also allowed to breed dragons after 5 generations of separation. This can lead to some odd issues for family trees.

I know a couple active players who have dragons with over 400 offspring. Some may all be siblings, some may have different parents. This is not a reasonable or sustainable amount of dragons to display on a single page.

Outside of 5 generations dragons can breed so your family "tree" can start developing loops. Not only is that a coding issue but it's a bad look for your "tree."

Disallowing step-siblings to breed (and their associated bloodlines) across the site can allow breeders to essentially stop other players from breeding their dragons together even if they've bred in the past.

Hiding/editing offspring/parents? Go for it.

Frankly, this whole naming/family tree stuff is a nightmare to me. If you want to see how this plays out in the real world check out these people:

AKC Naming rules
Jockey Rulebook, Name section

Personal story: I admired a litter of kittens a woman was trying to sell once and after expressing how cute they were she asked me if I wanted to adopt and offered me a form she'd printed up.

Among other things she asked for my address, phone number, any social media I might post pictures to and what I intended to name the kitten so she could approve. She also mentioned she'd be stopping by to check up on me to make sure I was treating the cat right and following me on social media in case I posted cat pictures and to see if I bred "her" cat.

She also wanted naming veto for the "grandbabies."

Every time the whole naming and family tree thing comes up I think of her.
Everyone sees this site through their very narrow point of view.

Where the OP sees "popular" I see "extremely disliked, ridiculous suggestion being brought back from the dead." Heavily commented on suggestions are often so because they dismay onlookers like a car on fire.

Given the site policy the entire naming issue is already resolved. If the dragon isn't in your lair it's not your concern unless the name is an actual issue.

Short version of family trees and various renaming of dragons not in your lair: Entirely headcanon for each player. Do it yourself with no repercussions to the rest of us trying to play.

Long version:

As far as the entire family tree goes having family tree software is fairly superfluous. There are dozens of free family tree makers online (I like Echo). Family trees are fine for people because it turns out people have a limit to the amount of children they can have in a lifetime as well as prohibitions against incest.

Dragons live forever here and can continue to breed indefinitely. We're also allowed to breed dragons after 5 generations of separation. This can lead to some odd issues for family trees.

I know a couple active players who have dragons with over 400 offspring. Some may all be siblings, some may have different parents. This is not a reasonable or sustainable amount of dragons to display on a single page.

Outside of 5 generations dragons can breed so your family "tree" can start developing loops. Not only is that a coding issue but it's a bad look for your "tree."

Disallowing step-siblings to breed (and their associated bloodlines) across the site can allow breeders to essentially stop other players from breeding their dragons together even if they've bred in the past.

Hiding/editing offspring/parents? Go for it.

Frankly, this whole naming/family tree stuff is a nightmare to me. If you want to see how this plays out in the real world check out these people:

AKC Naming rules
Jockey Rulebook, Name section

Personal story: I admired a litter of kittens a woman was trying to sell once and after expressing how cute they were she asked me if I wanted to adopt and offered me a form she'd printed up.

Among other things she asked for my address, phone number, any social media I might post pictures to and what I intended to name the kitten so she could approve. She also mentioned she'd be stopping by to check up on me to make sure I was treating the cat right and following me on social media in case I posted cat pictures and to see if I bred "her" cat.

She also wanted naming veto for the "grandbabies."

Every time the whole naming and family tree thing comes up I think of her.
I want to live in Theory. Everything works there.

Have you checked the Gem MP for Gene and Breed scrolls before buying an AH listing from me ending in 5g?
Mostly just adding on to people's points, because the easiest way to give people their desired offspring lists is to make the 'adjusted' version only visible to the lair owner. Or, extending from that, visible to a visitor by some kind of button or tab - the default display is always what's shown first.
Mostly just adding on to people's points, because the easiest way to give people their desired offspring lists is to make the 'adjusted' version only visible to the lair owner. Or, extending from that, visible to a visitor by some kind of button or tab - the default display is always what's shown first.
jYPBXj5.png4RsuN8b.pngMXNV32c.pngS7EiNKy.png
So, [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/2905476]I have a 200 generations project[/url]. I would encourage people who want to do family trees for their dragons to set up a thread on Quests and Challenges like I did, rather than forcing a tree for the reasons Nightwind stated: [quote]Dragons live forever here and can continue to breed indefinitely. We're also allowed to breed dragons after 5 generations of separation. This can lead to some odd issues for family trees. I know a couple active players who have dragons with over 400 offspring. Some may all be siblings, some may have different parents. This is not a reasonable or sustainable amount of dragons to display on a single page. Outside of 5 generations dragons can breed so your family "tree" can start developing loops. Not only is that a coding issue but it's a bad look for your "tree." Disallowing step-siblings to breed (and their associated bloodlines) across the site can allow breeders to essentially stop other players from breeding their dragons together even if they've bred in the past.[/quote] ^All of that is a concern to me re: an official family tree tab/page thing. Also what Vendrus said: [quote]Mostly just adding on to people's points, because the easiest way to give people their desired offspring lists is to make the 'adjusted' version only visible to the lair owner. Or, extending from that, visible to a visitor by some kind of button or tab - the default display is always what's shown first. [/quote] Is the only version of the "modified offspring list" suggestion that I support. I will not ever support forced renames of exaltees by the person who "owns" the offspring list (which is not the same as owning the dragon), and I especially don't want to be contacted by the "parent" of a dragon I exalted like "oh hey can we change it together?" I can sympathize with not wanting to see Unnamed in one's offspring list but I also don't agree with forcing changes on the person who owned the dragon upon exaltation. For example, I have Tolkien fandragons. I needed a Celebrian and an Elrond to breed an Arwen, Elladan and Elrohir. I knew going into this I was going to be exalting Celebrian because of her fate in the story. I don't want this to be retroactively changed so suddenly Arwen, Elladan, and Elrohir's mother is named Dandelion or something else. Sorry, no support. :(
So, I have a 200 generations project. I would encourage people who want to do family trees for their dragons to set up a thread on Quests and Challenges like I did, rather than forcing a tree for the reasons Nightwind stated:
Quote:

^All of that is a concern to me re: an official family tree tab/page thing.

Also what Vendrus said:
Quote:

Is the only version of the "modified offspring list" suggestion that I support. I will not ever support forced renames of exaltees by the person who "owns" the offspring list (which is not the same as owning the dragon), and I especially don't want to be contacted by the "parent" of a dragon I exalted like "oh hey can we change it together?" I can sympathize with not wanting to see Unnamed in one's offspring list but I also don't agree with forcing changes on the person who owned the dragon upon exaltation. For example, I have Tolkien fandragons. I needed a Celebrian and an Elrond to breed an Arwen, Elladan and Elrohir. I knew going into this I was going to be exalting Celebrian because of her fate in the story. I don't want this to be retroactively changed so suddenly Arwen, Elladan, and Elrohir's mother is named Dandelion or something else.

Sorry, no support. :(
pings off | plz no random friend requests/PMs/profile comments
Mmm, no. It's a dragon breeding game. Ultimately, what your dragon's lineage is, is entirely determined up to your efforts and the player who had the dragon before you, and there should be no reason the offspring should be hidden or changed in any way.

Don't want unnamed exalted?
Name your dragons before selling or exalting them.
Don't want unnamed dragons taking up your list in general?
..Name them.
Want dragons who aren't related to one another by blood be a part of your dragon's story?
Put it in the bio listing what they are.

Suggestions like these really go away from the website's main idea of it being a dragon breeding and dress up game.

Lineage is rather important for especially valuable dragons. You could use a feature to "hide" all of the unnamed dragons and attempt to sell a dragon at a high price because it doesn't have any visible unnamed ones. Surprise! It actually has like a bajillion of them, and you just got conned out of your hard earned gems. There are other ways to use a mechanic like this for rude or malicious purposes, but this is one of the instances I know that would happen right away.

As for the family tree part... I really don't have any comment on it except for heavy dislike. I care about my dragons and my dragons only.
Mmm, no. It's a dragon breeding game. Ultimately, what your dragon's lineage is, is entirely determined up to your efforts and the player who had the dragon before you, and there should be no reason the offspring should be hidden or changed in any way.

Don't want unnamed exalted?
Name your dragons before selling or exalting them.
Don't want unnamed dragons taking up your list in general?
..Name them.
Want dragons who aren't related to one another by blood be a part of your dragon's story?
Put it in the bio listing what they are.

Suggestions like these really go away from the website's main idea of it being a dragon breeding and dress up game.

Lineage is rather important for especially valuable dragons. You could use a feature to "hide" all of the unnamed dragons and attempt to sell a dragon at a high price because it doesn't have any visible unnamed ones. Surprise! It actually has like a bajillion of them, and you just got conned out of your hard earned gems. There are other ways to use a mechanic like this for rude or malicious purposes, but this is one of the instances I know that would happen right away.

As for the family tree part... I really don't have any comment on it except for heavy dislike. I care about my dragons and my dragons only.
act
imp inthusiast
he/him
please ping on reply
Wq7yxTc.gif
exchange
Nearku%2527s%2BDya.png
hatchbannersmall.png
Alright so this would definitely have to be a visual toggle on the user's side that lets them collapse and hide specific dragons from their view. If it worked on everyone then people wouldnt be able to easily access lineage info, which would cause an issue in mechanics versus the original issue of just being visually annoying.

For example, the previous user who has dragons with unnamed/exalted parents, if the owner of the grandparents hid their names nobody would be able to find the named grandchild.

If someone hid unnameds on their end and then went looking for a specific dragon, they may miss dragons that are unnamed but not exalted that are for sale. I go through lineages all the time and to not be able to see certain lines because someone has hidden them from me because a name or lackthereof bothers them would make things hard.

So this would only work if it was individually toggled per dragon or only on a user's end for their own dragons with a marker denoting that names are hidden.
Alright so this would definitely have to be a visual toggle on the user's side that lets them collapse and hide specific dragons from their view. If it worked on everyone then people wouldnt be able to easily access lineage info, which would cause an issue in mechanics versus the original issue of just being visually annoying.

For example, the previous user who has dragons with unnamed/exalted parents, if the owner of the grandparents hid their names nobody would be able to find the named grandchild.

If someone hid unnameds on their end and then went looking for a specific dragon, they may miss dragons that are unnamed but not exalted that are for sale. I go through lineages all the time and to not be able to see certain lines because someone has hidden them from me because a name or lackthereof bothers them would make things hard.

So this would only work if it was individually toggled per dragon or only on a user's end for their own dragons with a marker denoting that names are hidden.
Why must it be visible only to the owner?
Why must it be visible only to the owner?
Cheerful Chime Almedha | share project
Fandragons
Lore Starts Here (WIP)
I collect Pulsing Relics!
candle-smol.png ____
47432632.png
Support! I like the idea of having a tab for blood lineage and edited lineage.

Players can view blood lineage and edited lineage as separate tabs

This offers solutions for lore and breeding, whatever

No renaming dragons tho.

But being able to edit family trees to display or hide things would be nice, but still have a tab with the blood lineage is helpful.
Support! I like the idea of having a tab for blood lineage and edited lineage.

Players can view blood lineage and edited lineage as separate tabs

This offers solutions for lore and breeding, whatever

No renaming dragons tho.

But being able to edit family trees to display or hide things would be nice, but still have a tab with the blood lineage is helpful.
swan.gif
SpeckledNightSky
WKtl2lb.png
5nygeWH.png
mlHpBMC.png
ezgif-4-7712918976d1.gif Bonsai-gif-1.gif
1 2 3 4 5 6