Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Why though
1 2 3
Yes actually it happens and I know it happens and it’s really disappointing. I got fooled by this when veils came out lol.
Yes actually it happens and I know it happens and it’s really disappointing. I got fooled by this when veils came out lol.
MC0JXiQ.png b1wM7Mg.png
[quote name="Laluzi" date="2021-01-11 13:32:06" ] If you're talking about the handful of people who buy gem mp items and list them for 5g higher, they do it specifically to prevent price-gouging that preys on people who don't know where to buy those items and turn to the AH - that way, they buy a gem gene for 1205g instead of a profiteer selling Bee for 2000g. It's not as common as it used to be thanks to their efforts. They aren't making any profit and have a ton of their money wrapped up at any given time for what's essentially a public service, and I give them major props for what they're doing. [/quote] people who do this are good people
Laluzi wrote on 2021-01-11 13:32:06:
If you're talking about the handful of people who buy gem mp items and list them for 5g higher, they do it specifically to prevent price-gouging that preys on people who don't know where to buy those items and turn to the AH - that way, they buy a gem gene for 1205g instead of a profiteer selling Bee for 2000g. It's not as common as it used to be thanks to their efforts.

They aren't making any profit and have a ton of their money wrapped up at any given time for what's essentially a public service, and I give them major props for what they're doing.

people who do this are good people
@BananicornKate

Either to make a profit or to discourage people from doing so. I do it for the second reason and have a link to the gem MP in my signature as well as a link to this post:
Quote:
Some of us do this to prevent gem MP items from being listed significantly higher. There's a surprising number of people who don't know the gem section of the MP exists so they go to the AH and buy the cheapest one they see. Before I started putting up gem genes prices were regularly 2100-2900 unless it was the first couple of weeks after a new gem gene release.

It used to be a thing that people would toss a copy of the new release gem genes up on the AH and keep at it for a couple weeks until everyone more or less knew where to find the new gem gene. With registration windows and now open registration there's a constant influx of players who aren't aware or who don't read the Announcements and only a few players put gem genes up anymore.

I'd put them up at the MP price but then players who relist higher would just buy mine to cut down on the competition in the AH. 5g over seems to be a convenient number to prevent that from happening. Feel free to undercut me! I'm not doing this for the gems. Ideally I'd never sell another and be able to free up a ton of gems for my own projects. My AH history tells me that not enough people are undercutting me to do this.

I also inform every player who asks me if I'll hold a gene/if I'm interested in a trade instead:
Quote:
I appreciate your interest but I need to keep the gems to cut down on overpriced gem genes in the AH. I've seen the markup anywhere from 400-2000 gems from where they stock in unlimited quantities in the gem section of the MP:

http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=market&type=1&tab=spec

Good luck with your gene project!

Players can play however they like as long as they follow the rules. While I'm not thrilled at the idea that people may price unlimited stock items higher than the MP it's their choice. It's my choice to keep a constant supply of gem genes available for as close to the MP price as I find feasible.

I hope this sheds some light on why things look the way they do in the AH.

All profits from this go to buying the next gem gene release.
@BananicornKate

Either to make a profit or to discourage people from doing so. I do it for the second reason and have a link to the gem MP in my signature as well as a link to this post:
Quote:
Some of us do this to prevent gem MP items from being listed significantly higher. There's a surprising number of people who don't know the gem section of the MP exists so they go to the AH and buy the cheapest one they see. Before I started putting up gem genes prices were regularly 2100-2900 unless it was the first couple of weeks after a new gem gene release.

It used to be a thing that people would toss a copy of the new release gem genes up on the AH and keep at it for a couple weeks until everyone more or less knew where to find the new gem gene. With registration windows and now open registration there's a constant influx of players who aren't aware or who don't read the Announcements and only a few players put gem genes up anymore.

I'd put them up at the MP price but then players who relist higher would just buy mine to cut down on the competition in the AH. 5g over seems to be a convenient number to prevent that from happening. Feel free to undercut me! I'm not doing this for the gems. Ideally I'd never sell another and be able to free up a ton of gems for my own projects. My AH history tells me that not enough people are undercutting me to do this.

I also inform every player who asks me if I'll hold a gene/if I'm interested in a trade instead:
Quote:
I appreciate your interest but I need to keep the gems to cut down on overpriced gem genes in the AH. I've seen the markup anywhere from 400-2000 gems from where they stock in unlimited quantities in the gem section of the MP:

http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=market&type=1&tab=spec

Good luck with your gene project!

Players can play however they like as long as they follow the rules. While I'm not thrilled at the idea that people may price unlimited stock items higher than the MP it's their choice. It's my choice to keep a constant supply of gem genes available for as close to the MP price as I find feasible.

I hope this sheds some light on why things look the way they do in the AH.

All profits from this go to buying the next gem gene release.
I want to live in Theory. Everything works there.

Have you checked the Gem MP for Gene and Breed scrolls before buying an AH listing from me ending in 5g?
[quote name="TheSunTheGodsSaw" date="2021-01-11 13:16:13" ] Profit fueled by ignorance :'| [/quote] unless its listed for treasure (following the current ratio)
TheSunTheGodsSaw wrote on 2021-01-11 13:16:13:
Profit fueled by ignorance :'|

unless its listed for treasure (following the current ratio)
ldNLSdw.png
I thought it was just people trying to get their currency back... like if they bought apparel a while ago, but no longer is something they want for a dragon, so they list it at the same price, if not a little higher, just to make the amount back, plus a little bit of profit.

Perhaps I'm wrong.
I thought it was just people trying to get their currency back... like if they bought apparel a while ago, but no longer is something they want for a dragon, so they list it at the same price, if not a little higher, just to make the amount back, plus a little bit of profit.

Perhaps I'm wrong.
tumblr_inline_npp8nyFo5N1r0g4u9_540.png X tumblr_inline_nppef4YToG1r0g4u9_540.png
X
@KnucklePuck

Many people do; hence why I put up gem items at 5g over. If I put them up at the gem MP price then I "compete" against people trying to make back what they spent on an unwanted/accidental purchase without having to take a loss to get their gems more quickly. I generally see a lot of gem genes done this way since I don't spend a lot of time looking at apparel.

@KnucklePuck

Many people do; hence why I put up gem items at 5g over. If I put them up at the gem MP price then I "compete" against people trying to make back what they spent on an unwanted/accidental purchase without having to take a loss to get their gems more quickly. I generally see a lot of gem genes done this way since I don't spend a lot of time looking at apparel.

Have you checked the Gem MP for Gene and Breed scrolls before buying an AH listing from me ending in 5g?
[quote name="NightRising" date="2021-01-11 13:11:34" ] Some people post them just barely higher to prevent others from preying on people who don't know where the items come from [/quote] This one I don’t understand. If it is to protect newcomers and such, why not sell at the exact gem MP price? Selling with gems wont get "courier fee" taken from it, so one would get their exact gem amount back and be able to go buy another. Putting that 5g or so extra on them starts to add up real fast as profit. Sure, it's not steep scalper price, but it's a steady way to outcompete all other scalpers.
NightRising wrote on 2021-01-11 13:11:34:
Some people post them just barely higher to prevent others from preying on people who don't know where the items come from

This one I don’t understand.
If it is to protect newcomers and such, why not sell at the exact gem MP price? Selling with gems wont get "courier fee" taken from it, so one would get their exact gem amount back and be able to go buy another.

Putting that 5g or so extra on them starts to add up real fast as profit. Sure, it's not steep scalper price, but it's a steady way to outcompete all other scalpers.
@PlagueMaw

If you sell at the exact gem MP price your stock gets bought up by the people who upsell it for a few hundred or thousand gems above the MP and your listings are continually unavailable because they're bought out.

Additionally, anyone who wants to sell a gem gene because their plans changed or because they bought the wrong gene doesn't have to compete with the exact same price. Theirs will be lower without them needing to lose any gems and that matters when speed is an issue.

Also, all those "profits" go to buying the next gem gene. At a 5g markup a secondary modern gem gene has to be sold 240 times to pay for itself. I have over 40kg in gems tied up on the AH that I can't actually use because of this. Despite doing this for years I still haven't broken even.

Feel free to post gem genes yourself at the gem MP price or even at 4g over the gem MP price. I highly encourage it because I can't be online all the time and it helps keep prices down until everyone figures out where to get gem MP items.
@PlagueMaw

If you sell at the exact gem MP price your stock gets bought up by the people who upsell it for a few hundred or thousand gems above the MP and your listings are continually unavailable because they're bought out.

Additionally, anyone who wants to sell a gem gene because their plans changed or because they bought the wrong gene doesn't have to compete with the exact same price. Theirs will be lower without them needing to lose any gems and that matters when speed is an issue.

Also, all those "profits" go to buying the next gem gene. At a 5g markup a secondary modern gem gene has to be sold 240 times to pay for itself. I have over 40kg in gems tied up on the AH that I can't actually use because of this. Despite doing this for years I still haven't broken even.

Feel free to post gem genes yourself at the gem MP price or even at 4g over the gem MP price. I highly encourage it because I can't be online all the time and it helps keep prices down until everyone figures out where to get gem MP items.

Noticed that thought it was always silly lol.
Noticed that thought it was always silly lol.
[quote name="@Nightwind" date="2021-06-16 12:51:48" ] @/PlagueMaw If you sell at the exact gem MP price your stock gets bought up by the people who upsell it for a few hundred or thousand gems above the MP and your listings are continually unavailable because they're bought out. Additionally, anyone who wants to sell a gem gene because their plans changed or because they bought the wrong gene doesn't have to compete with the exact same price. Theirs will be lower without them needing to lose any gems and that matters when speed is an issue. Also, all those "profits" go to buying the next gem gene. At a 5g markup a secondary modern gem gene has to be sold 240 times to pay for itself. I have over 40kg in gems tied up on the AH that I can't actually use because of this. Despite doing this for years I still haven't broken even. Feel free to post gem genes yourself at the gem MP price or even at 4g over the gem MP price. I highly encourage it because I can't be online all the time and it helps keep prices down until everyone figures out where to get gem MP items. [/quote] That is an excellent point, I didn't think of the scalpers buying away the regularly priced items. [emoji=tundra sad size=1]
@Nightwind wrote on 2021-06-16 12:51:48:
@/PlagueMaw

That is an excellent point, I didn't think of the scalpers buying away the regularly priced items.
1 2 3