Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Unnamed/Exalted Family Tree Solutions
1 2 3 4 5 6
[quote name="Almedha" date="2021-01-27 06:25:23" ] Why must it be visible only to the owner? [/quote] Because not every unnamed and/or exalted dragon is unwanted or unattached to other active dragons. If I were to exalt my 3rd gen naomi dragon and Willow's owner had exalted dragons hidden then nobody would be able to follow an entire, huge line to buy sought after kiddos just because one person wanted to hide exalted dragons. Owners of those children wouldnt have as much traction to their sales because people wouldnt know that line even existed and they wouldnt be able to prove it because the names been hidden. The user who posted their dragon with purposefully unnamed parents wouldnt be able to have their dragon found in lineages. Just like the initial unnamed exalt, if this wasnt only a visual toggle on the owner's side, it would then affect other people in playing the game. Not to mention people tend to only ever care about their own lineage lists, not other people's.
Almedha wrote on 2021-01-27 06:25:23:
Why must it be visible only to the owner?

Because not every unnamed and/or exalted dragon is unwanted or unattached to other active dragons. If I were to exalt my 3rd gen naomi dragon and Willow's owner had exalted dragons hidden then nobody would be able to follow an entire, huge line to buy sought after kiddos just because one person wanted to hide exalted dragons. Owners of those children wouldnt have as much traction to their sales because people wouldnt know that line even existed and they wouldnt be able to prove it because the names been hidden. The user who posted their dragon with purposefully unnamed parents wouldnt be able to have their dragon found in lineages.

Just like the initial unnamed exalt, if this wasnt only a visual toggle on the owner's side, it would then affect other people in playing the game. Not to mention people tend to only ever care about their own lineage lists, not other people's.
[quote name="Haven" date="2021-01-27 07:07:27" ] [quote name="Almedha" date="2021-01-27 06:25:23" ] Why must it be visible only to the owner? [/quote] Because not every unnamed and/or exalted dragon is unwanted or unattached to other active dragons. If I were to exalt my 3rd gen naomi dragon and Willow's owner had exalted dragons hidden then nobody would be able to follow an entire, huge line to buy sought after kiddos just because one person wanted to hide exalted dragons. Owners of those children wouldnt have as much traction to their sales because people wouldnt know that line even existed and they wouldnt be able to prove it because the names been hidden. The user who posted their dragon with purposefully unnamed parents wouldnt be able to have their dragon found in lineages. Just like the initial unnamed exalt, if this wasnt only a visual toggle on the owner's side, it would then affect other people in playing the game. Not to mention people tend to only ever care about their own lineage lists, not other people's. [/quote] I guess was imagining it like a (offspring/parents hidden, click to view) type thing. But really, who cares if someone else is trying to trace their dragon's lineage through mine? It doesn't technically impede play (assay would still work). It's my dragon, and I should be able to have it look the way I want it to. Other people don't really care about others' lineage lists anyway.
Haven wrote on 2021-01-27 07:07:27:

Because not every unnamed and/or exalted dragon is unwanted or unattached to other active dragons. If I were to exalt my 3rd gen naomi dragon and Willow's owner had exalted dragons hidden then nobody would be able to follow an entire, huge line to buy sought after kiddos just because one person wanted to hide exalted dragons. Owners of those children wouldnt have as much traction to their sales because people wouldnt know that line even existed and they wouldnt be able to prove it because the names been hidden. The user who posted their dragon with purposefully unnamed parents wouldnt be able to have their dragon found in lineages.

Just like the initial unnamed exalt, if this wasnt only a visual toggle on the owner's side, it would then affect other people in playing the game. Not to mention people tend to only ever care about their own lineage lists, not other people's.
I guess was imagining it like a (offspring/parents hidden, click to view) type thing. But really, who cares if someone else is trying to trace their dragon's lineage through mine? It doesn't technically impede play (assay would still work). It's my dragon, and I should be able to have it look the way I want it to. Other people don't really care about others' lineage lists anyway.
Cheerful Chime Almedha | share project
Fandragons
Lore Starts Here (WIP)
I collect Pulsing Relics!
candle-smol.png ____
47432632.png
The only ones I really support are being able to hide offspring lists and a simplified family tree.

Hiding offspring lists is something that has long been wanted and was even tried once, but it failed. I think that if they found a way to bring it back, then it would be great.

I don't think it necessarily has to be only for the owner, as long as it was A) Obvious that the dragon has hidden lineages and B) easy for the viewer to see the full list.

I would still prefer nicknames, so that players can 'name' dragons on their offspring lists, without touching the actual dragon (ie it would be a cosmetic change on the parent dragon's offspring list), if they were visually different, so that players could tell that isn't the 'true' name of the dragon (to prevent confusion when trying to trace lineages, you go to a parent and glance at their offspring list and can't find your dragon). I do, however, think the two could coexist nicely if they ever figure out the coding issue.

For simplified family trees, I mean just the dragon, and five generations of parents back. No siblings, no aunts/uncles, no children, etc.. just parents, grand parents etc....

Otherwise, this can get messy as stated before.

As for step siblings and adopting dragons? No support. I feel this is what the bio is for and I think it could get way too messy.

Also, no support for disowning a dragon or showing siblings.

I feel that being able to 'adopt' a dragon could be very annoying to players who don't want it, when they get adoption questions from other players. Also, what would really be the point of adopting a dragon, outside of lore? Because it is a lore only issue, then I feel this is something best left to the bio of the dragon in question (or dragons).

It just seems overly complicated to me, and has the potential to cause drama, especially if the step siblings can't breed with any within the five generation rule.

For disowning, I feel this could cause a LOT of issues for players who trace lineages and then see their dragon is 'disowned' and also, what does it bring to the game besides lore opportunities? If we do get a hide offspring ability that allows for certain dragons to be hidden (instead of an all or nothing approach) I feel that this and the bio would take care of disowning.

Siblings, we already have a huge issue with offspring being visible on the dragons page, we definitely do not need to have issues of 'my dragon has Unnamed Exalted Siblings! name them!' in addition to the already mentioned unnamed offspring issue.
The only ones I really support are being able to hide offspring lists and a simplified family tree.

Hiding offspring lists is something that has long been wanted and was even tried once, but it failed. I think that if they found a way to bring it back, then it would be great.

I don't think it necessarily has to be only for the owner, as long as it was A) Obvious that the dragon has hidden lineages and B) easy for the viewer to see the full list.

I would still prefer nicknames, so that players can 'name' dragons on their offspring lists, without touching the actual dragon (ie it would be a cosmetic change on the parent dragon's offspring list), if they were visually different, so that players could tell that isn't the 'true' name of the dragon (to prevent confusion when trying to trace lineages, you go to a parent and glance at their offspring list and can't find your dragon). I do, however, think the two could coexist nicely if they ever figure out the coding issue.

For simplified family trees, I mean just the dragon, and five generations of parents back. No siblings, no aunts/uncles, no children, etc.. just parents, grand parents etc....

Otherwise, this can get messy as stated before.

As for step siblings and adopting dragons? No support. I feel this is what the bio is for and I think it could get way too messy.

Also, no support for disowning a dragon or showing siblings.

I feel that being able to 'adopt' a dragon could be very annoying to players who don't want it, when they get adoption questions from other players. Also, what would really be the point of adopting a dragon, outside of lore? Because it is a lore only issue, then I feel this is something best left to the bio of the dragon in question (or dragons).

It just seems overly complicated to me, and has the potential to cause drama, especially if the step siblings can't breed with any within the five generation rule.

For disowning, I feel this could cause a LOT of issues for players who trace lineages and then see their dragon is 'disowned' and also, what does it bring to the game besides lore opportunities? If we do get a hide offspring ability that allows for certain dragons to be hidden (instead of an all or nothing approach) I feel that this and the bio would take care of disowning.

Siblings, we already have a huge issue with offspring being visible on the dragons page, we definitely do not need to have issues of 'my dragon has Unnamed Exalted Siblings! name them!' in addition to the already mentioned unnamed offspring issue.

#UnnamedIsValid
Let them Fight
Let them Serve the Deities
Let them Exist in peace!
Dragons needed --->
58610356.png
Breed Characteristic Apparel!

Cuckoo Breed and Mutations!

Change Unnamed in YOUR dragon's profile!
14318365.png
"I believe unnamed dragons should be automatically given randomized names when they are exalted so it doesn't look bad on dragon bio page bloodlines."

My progen's second kid is called FartyPants and got exalted to Stormcatcher. Your solution does absolutely nothing to fix this eyesore, which is, imo, worst than Unnamed in every possible way.

"I believe unnamed dragons should be automatically given randomized names when they are exalted so it doesn't look bad on dragon bio page bloodlines."

My progen's second kid is called FartyPants and got exalted to Stormcatcher. Your solution does absolutely nothing to fix this eyesore, which is, imo, worst than Unnamed in every possible way.

Support for players picking which dragons are visible on their lineages, even to the point of cherry-picking, so long as the full list is available with a click/link and not hidden. This would not effect any other dragons' lineages.

No support for adding adopting/step/whatever relatives. We don't need a whole new feature for this as that's what the bio box is for.
Support for players picking which dragons are visible on their lineages, even to the point of cherry-picking, so long as the full list is available with a click/link and not hidden. This would not effect any other dragons' lineages.

No support for adding adopting/step/whatever relatives. We don't need a whole new feature for this as that's what the bio box is for.
Pings are disabled.

If writers are supposed to "show not tell," why are we called "storytellers" and not "storyshow-ers"?
[quote name="Almedha" date="2021-01-27 07:26:02" ] [quote name="Haven" date="2021-01-27 07:07:27" ] [quote name="Almedha" date="2021-01-27 06:25:23" ] Why must it be visible only to the owner? [/quote] Because not every unnamed and/or exalted dragon is unwanted or unattached to other active dragons. If I were to exalt my 3rd gen naomi dragon and Willow's owner had exalted dragons hidden then nobody would be able to follow an entire, huge line to buy sought after kiddos just because one person wanted to hide exalted dragons. Owners of those children wouldnt have as much traction to their sales because people wouldnt know that line even existed and they wouldnt be able to prove it because the names been hidden. The user who posted their dragon with purposefully unnamed parents wouldnt be able to have their dragon found in lineages. Just like the initial unnamed exalt, if this wasnt only a visual toggle on the owner's side, it would then affect other people in playing the game. Not to mention people tend to only ever care about their own lineage lists, not other people's. [/quote] I guess was imagining it like a (offspring/parents hidden, click to view) type thing. But really, who cares if someone else is trying to trace their dragon's lineage through mine? It doesn't technically impede play (assay would still work). It's my dragon, and I should be able to have it look the way I want it to. Other people don't really care about others' lineage lists anyway. [/quote] Except they do. If you're a collector of certain lineages it is absolutely essential to be able to trace through lines, not only to prove a dragon is viably connected but also to look for currently breeding lines. #666, kids of #11112(or however many 1s), the Naomi line, along with various original meme dragons whose kids and grandkids people love to collect would become difficult to track through if people couldnt unhide or view the full tree. Heck, some people just like having family members of permas just for lore reasons. You may not look through lineages but people most definitely do. Again, a mechanical benefit shouldnt be superceded by an aesthetic one. Especially when people dont care about what other people's dragon's lineages look like. Every suggestion about exalting unnamed has been from people bitter over their own lists and other people's upset over their own lists. You can still have your lists look how you want to you, but you shouldnt have control over other people's ease of use of the mechanic. Assay only tracks through so many generations and I know for a fact that people are collecting and interbreeding Naomi's 5+ generations out.
Almedha wrote on 2021-01-27 07:26:02:

I guess was imagining it like a (offspring/parents hidden, click to view) type thing. But really, who cares if someone else is trying to trace their dragon's lineage through mine? It doesn't technically impede play (assay would still work). It's my dragon, and I should be able to have it look the way I want it to. Other people don't really care about others' lineage lists anyway.

Except they do. If you're a collector of certain lineages it is absolutely essential to be able to trace through lines, not only to prove a dragon is viably connected but also to look for currently breeding lines. #666, kids of #11112(or however many 1s), the Naomi line, along with various original meme dragons whose kids and grandkids people love to collect would become difficult to track through if people couldnt unhide or view the full tree. Heck, some people just like having family members of permas just for lore reasons.

You may not look through lineages but people most definitely do. Again, a mechanical benefit shouldnt be superceded by an aesthetic one. Especially when people dont care about what other people's dragon's lineages look like. Every suggestion about exalting unnamed has been from people bitter over their own lists and other people's upset over their own lists.

You can still have your lists look how you want to you, but you shouldnt have control over other people's ease of use of the mechanic. Assay only tracks through so many generations and I know for a fact that people are collecting and interbreeding Naomi's 5+ generations out.
[quote name="Haven" date="2021-01-27 08:27:40" ] [quote name="Almedha" date="2021-01-27 07:26:02" ] [quote name="Haven" date="2021-01-27 07:07:27" ] [quote name="Almedha" date="2021-01-27 06:25:23" ] Why must it be visible only to the owner? [/quote] Because not every unnamed and/or exalted dragon is unwanted or unattached to other active dragons. If I were to exalt my 3rd gen naomi dragon and Willow's owner had exalted dragons hidden then nobody would be able to follow an entire, huge line to buy sought after kiddos just because one person wanted to hide exalted dragons. Owners of those children wouldnt have as much traction to their sales because people wouldnt know that line even existed and they wouldnt be able to prove it because the names been hidden. The user who posted their dragon with purposefully unnamed parents wouldnt be able to have their dragon found in lineages. Just like the initial unnamed exalt, if this wasnt only a visual toggle on the owner's side, it would then affect other people in playing the game. Not to mention people tend to only ever care about their own lineage lists, not other people's. [/quote] I guess was imagining it like a (offspring/parents hidden, click to view) type thing. But really, who cares if someone else is trying to trace their dragon's lineage through mine? It doesn't technically impede play (assay would still work). It's my dragon, and I should be able to have it look the way I want it to. Other people don't really care about others' lineage lists anyway. [/quote] Except they do. If you're a collector of certain lineages it is absolutely essential to be able to trace through lines, not only to prove a dragon is viably connected but also to look for currently breeding lines. #666, kids of #11112(or however many 1s), the Naomi line, along with various original meme dragons whose kids and grandkids people love to collect would become difficult to track through if people couldnt unhide or view the full tree. Heck, some people just like having family members of permas just for lore reasons. You may not look through lineages but people most definitely do. Again, a mechanical benefit shouldnt be superceded by an aesthetic one. Especially when people dont care about what other people's dragon's lineages look like. Every suggestion about exalting unnamed has been from people bitter over their own lists and other people's upset over their own lists. You can still have your lists look how you want to you, but you shouldnt have control over other people's ease of use of the mechanic. Assay only tracks through so many generations and I know for a fact that people are collecting and interbreeding Naomi's 5+ generations out. [/quote] While I agree that there should be a way to view the lists should a person want to, I would like to point out that people already have control over whether or not a person can view a lineage by simply blocking a person. Then you can't view that dragon at all, so you can't see the lineages. I don't really see how this would be that much different than someone being blocked and running into a dragon with this. I think that the full lineage should be viewable so that players can't try to 'hide' problematic offspring while selling, because many people will pay more for a dragon without unnamed offspring, or in some cases any offspring at all, so the other player has to know that there are hidden offspring, and should be able to view them in some way.
Haven wrote on 2021-01-27 08:27:40:
Almedha wrote on 2021-01-27 07:26:02:

Except they do. If you're a collector of certain lineages it is absolutely essential to be able to trace through lines, not only to prove a dragon is viably connected but also to look for currently breeding lines. #666, kids of #11112(or however many 1s), the Naomi line, along with various original meme dragons whose kids and grandkids people love to collect would become difficult to track through if people couldnt unhide or view the full tree. Heck, some people just like having family members of permas just for lore reasons.

You may not look through lineages but people most definitely do. Again, a mechanical benefit shouldnt be superceded by an aesthetic one. Especially when people dont care about what other people's dragon's lineages look like. Every suggestion about exalting unnamed has been from people bitter over their own lists and other people's upset over their own lists.

You can still have your lists look how you want to you, but you shouldnt have control over other people's ease of use of the mechanic. Assay only tracks through so many generations and I know for a fact that people are collecting and interbreeding Naomi's 5+ generations out.
While I agree that there should be a way to view the lists should a person want to, I would like to point out that people already have control over whether or not a person can view a lineage by simply blocking a person. Then you can't view that dragon at all, so you can't see the lineages.

I don't really see how this would be that much different than someone being blocked and running into a dragon with this.

I think that the full lineage should be viewable so that players can't try to 'hide' problematic offspring while selling, because many people will pay more for a dragon without unnamed offspring, or in some cases any offspring at all, so the other player has to know that there are hidden offspring, and should be able to view them in some way.

#UnnamedIsValid
Let them Fight
Let them Exist in peace!
Dragons needed --->
58610356.png

14318365.png
[quote name="Jemadar" date="2021-01-27 08:41:46" ] While I agree that there should be a way to view the lists should a person want to, I would like to point out that people already have control over whether or not a person can view a lineage by simply blocking a person. Then you can't view that dragon at all, so you can't see the lineages. I don't really see how this would be that much different than someone being blocked and running into a dragon with this. I think that the full lineage should be viewable so that players can't try to 'hide' problematic offspring while selling, because many people will pay more for a dragon without unnamed offspring, or in some cases any offspring at all, so the other player has to know that there are hidden offspring, and should be able to view them in some way. [/quote] I don't think blocking is relevant to this since it's primary use is not to prevent tracing (and can be avoided for lineage tracing by logging out anyway). The mechanic of being able to see offspring provides benefits of both lineage tracing and avoiding scams. Imo the visible/non visible comes back to the old 'your right to swing your fist ends at my nose'. A player's right to customise their experience of FR ends at forcibly modifying another player's experience.
Jemadar wrote on 2021-01-27 08:41:46:
While I agree that there should be a way to view the lists should a person want to, I would like to point out that people already have control over whether or not a person can view a lineage by simply blocking a person. Then you can't view that dragon at all, so you can't see the lineages.

I don't really see how this would be that much different than someone being blocked and running into a dragon with this.

I think that the full lineage should be viewable so that players can't try to 'hide' problematic offspring while selling, because many people will pay more for a dragon without unnamed offspring, or in some cases any offspring at all, so the other player has to know that there are hidden offspring, and should be able to view them in some way.

I don't think blocking is relevant to this since it's primary use is not to prevent tracing (and can be avoided for lineage tracing by logging out anyway). The mechanic of being able to see offspring provides benefits of both lineage tracing and avoiding scams.

Imo the visible/non visible comes back to the old 'your right to swing your fist ends at my nose'. A player's right to customise their experience of FR ends at forcibly modifying another player's experience.
jYPBXj5.png4RsuN8b.pngMXNV32c.pngS7EiNKy.png
[quote name="Vendrus" date="2021-01-27 09:07:07" ] [quote name="Jemadar" date="2021-01-27 08:41:46" ] While I agree that there should be a way to view the lists should a person want to, I would like to point out that people already have control over whether or not a person can view a lineage by simply blocking a person. Then you can't view that dragon at all, so you can't see the lineages. I don't really see how this would be that much different than someone being blocked and running into a dragon with this. I think that the full lineage should be viewable so that players can't try to 'hide' problematic offspring while selling, because many people will pay more for a dragon without unnamed offspring, or in some cases any offspring at all, so the other player has to know that there are hidden offspring, and should be able to view them in some way. [/quote] I don't think blocking is relevant to this since it's primary use is not to prevent tracing (and can be avoided for lineage tracing by logging out anyway). The mechanic of being able to see offspring provides benefits of both lineage tracing and avoiding scams. [/quote] which is why I said it should be able to be toggled to full view, but I don't think that lineage tracing should be the only reason why the list has to be owner side only, because lineages can already be 'broken' by blocking. I do think that non-owners should have a way to view full lists, even if it has to be an account side toggle, but I also do think that owners should be able to let others see the dragons how they want them to be seen.
Vendrus wrote on 2021-01-27 09:07:07:

I don't think blocking is relevant to this since it's primary use is not to prevent tracing (and can be avoided for lineage tracing by logging out anyway). The mechanic of being able to see offspring provides benefits of both lineage tracing and avoiding scams.
which is why I said it should be able to be toggled to full view, but I don't think that lineage tracing should be the only reason why the list has to be owner side only, because lineages can already be 'broken' by blocking.

I do think that non-owners should have a way to view full lists, even if it has to be an account side toggle, but I also do think that owners should be able to let others see the dragons how they want them to be seen.

#UnnamedIsValid
Let them Fight
Let them Exist in peace!
Dragons needed --->
58610356.png

14318365.png
[quote name="Jemadar" date="2021-01-27 09:11:50" ] [quote name="Vendrus" date="2021-01-27 09:07:07" ] [quote name="Jemadar" date="2021-01-27 08:41:46" ] While I agree that there should be a way to view the lists should a person want to, I would like to point out that people already have control over whether or not a person can view a lineage by simply blocking a person. Then you can't view that dragon at all, so you can't see the lineages. I don't really see how this would be that much different than someone being blocked and running into a dragon with this. I think that the full lineage should be viewable so that players can't try to 'hide' problematic offspring while selling, because many people will pay more for a dragon without unnamed offspring, or in some cases any offspring at all, so the other player has to know that there are hidden offspring, and should be able to view them in some way. [/quote] I don't think blocking is relevant to this since it's primary use is not to prevent tracing (and can be avoided for lineage tracing by logging out anyway). The mechanic of being able to see offspring provides benefits of both lineage tracing and avoiding scams. [/quote] which is why I said it should be able to be toggled to full view, but I don't think that lineage tracing should be the only reason why the list has to be owner side only, because lineages can already be 'broken' by blocking. I do think that non-owners should have a way to view full lists, even if it has to be an account side toggle, but I also do think that owners should be able to let others see the dragons how they want them to be seen. [/quote] Ah, I missed your point. I agree that it should be visible to non-owners, I just don't think it should be the default as it could easily be misleading, particularly to new players. A 'cosmetic lineage' tab in the lineage box maybe. (Yes, people can and should be responsible for checking but also, people are human lmao and we have processes and popups for a reason) EDIT: I think I missed your point because I read the person you were replying to as saying 'full lineage should be available as well'. My original post was an off the cuff while walking home post and people seemed to have latched on to the 'owner only' part and missed the alternative I put lmao
Jemadar wrote on 2021-01-27 09:11:50:
Vendrus wrote on 2021-01-27 09:07:07:

which is why I said it should be able to be toggled to full view, but I don't think that lineage tracing should be the only reason why the list has to be owner side only, because lineages can already be 'broken' by blocking.

I do think that non-owners should have a way to view full lists, even if it has to be an account side toggle, but I also do think that owners should be able to let others see the dragons how they want them to be seen.

Ah, I missed your point. I agree that it should be visible to non-owners, I just don't think it should be the default as it could easily be misleading, particularly to new players. A 'cosmetic lineage' tab in the lineage box maybe.

(Yes, people can and should be responsible for checking but also, people are human lmao and we have processes and popups for a reason)

EDIT:
I think I missed your point because I read the person you were replying to as saying 'full lineage should be available as well'.
My original post was an off the cuff while walking home post and people seemed to have latched on to the 'owner only' part and missed the alternative I put lmao
jYPBXj5.png4RsuN8b.pngMXNV32c.pngS7EiNKy.png
1 2 3 4 5 6