Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Please Stop "Updating" old apparel
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
@jemadar

I like some things getting revamped, like the bows. I am indifferent to others, like the flower sets, just like I'm completely indifferent to some apparel being released (silks) and excited over others (armor sets)

I don't dislike all revamps, and I don't dislike all new releases. But fact is - we need a mix of revamps and new items.

Revamps allow upgrading the art, while keeping the items accessible to people when the revamp drops. While most apparel drops in price quickly, it's not a certitude.

I still don't like the revamp of the steampunk set, and I do think it's gonna be revamped again in the future. Still looks flat. But it's no longer my least favorite set on the site, at least.
@jemadar

I like some things getting revamped, like the bows. I am indifferent to others, like the flower sets, just like I'm completely indifferent to some apparel being released (silks) and excited over others (armor sets)

I don't dislike all revamps, and I don't dislike all new releases. But fact is - we need a mix of revamps and new items.

Revamps allow upgrading the art, while keeping the items accessible to people when the revamp drops. While most apparel drops in price quickly, it's not a certitude.

I still don't like the revamp of the steampunk set, and I do think it's gonna be revamped again in the future. Still looks flat. But it's no longer my least favorite set on the site, at least.
No support. It sucks when something is updated and doesn't fit anymore (see: the whole nightmare with Seafoam after the colorwheel expansion) but I would much rather have consistent item art than wildly inconsistent ones. I think the updated version looks way better. The old art was clunky and even THEN was inconsistent, considering the wing issue. Having a brand new set to be the updated one alongside the old one is redundant and messy, ESPECIALLY if the thumbnail/name is similar. What do you do when there's two different sets of gold steampunk apparel?? That's only going to be confusing and an annoyance to players who don't know the difference.

Only tentative support for small things like, say, if the flowerfalls were next in line to be updated. Their art is small and isn't as obviously outddated as other old apparel. We don't need to update the teardrop apparel sets.

Stuff like the steampunk and cowboy sets though? I think this is a change for the better. :( Sorry if your outfits were messed up and I get that, some of mine probably are too, but I think this is way better in the longrun. I can actually use this apparel set now.

Edit: I do however agree that drastic changes (such as the shape of the 'feathers' on the wings in this case) should not be happening so often. I want updated colors/shading and maybe some small lineart changes, and consistency fixes for pieces of apparel that didn't match on every dragon. If it came down to no updates ever or updates are drastic, I'd rather have the drastic update.
No support. It sucks when something is updated and doesn't fit anymore (see: the whole nightmare with Seafoam after the colorwheel expansion) but I would much rather have consistent item art than wildly inconsistent ones. I think the updated version looks way better. The old art was clunky and even THEN was inconsistent, considering the wing issue. Having a brand new set to be the updated one alongside the old one is redundant and messy, ESPECIALLY if the thumbnail/name is similar. What do you do when there's two different sets of gold steampunk apparel?? That's only going to be confusing and an annoyance to players who don't know the difference.

Only tentative support for small things like, say, if the flowerfalls were next in line to be updated. Their art is small and isn't as obviously outddated as other old apparel. We don't need to update the teardrop apparel sets.

Stuff like the steampunk and cowboy sets though? I think this is a change for the better. :( Sorry if your outfits were messed up and I get that, some of mine probably are too, but I think this is way better in the longrun. I can actually use this apparel set now.

Edit: I do however agree that drastic changes (such as the shape of the 'feathers' on the wings in this case) should not be happening so often. I want updated colors/shading and maybe some small lineart changes, and consistency fixes for pieces of apparel that didn't match on every dragon. If it came down to no updates ever or updates are drastic, I'd rather have the drastic update.
poor thing... needs to update his forum signature and hasn't yet. oh well!
I like the new wings but I also liked the old ones because they were different. Support, others have said it better than me.
I like the new wings but I also liked the old ones because they were different. Support, others have said it better than me.

__snek, snek, let down your necc
_ 5RUhw7e.gifmISblcI.gifXjw0MAJ.gif
Seeing how there's a distinct lack of different apparel that can fill the niche of what the Steampunk set did for those who the revamp changed it too much, it really does seem like we need similar apparel sets to some things, especially more Steampunk and varieties on that theme.

There are already a lot of other super similar visual or function and color items in sets already that have nothing to do with each other per se, and those straggling along as a shirt and pants duo, it's pretty strange that a distinct visual item like this has nothing similar to parallel it or put it with, so on the idea of adding more than one set for things similar, it's already been done for many items on site and should be continued with for example, similar wing items from before, currently missing steampunk concept items, prosthetics, etc.
Having more supplies that fill a specific conceptual and visual genre niche would greatly benefit this too-scifi-now-to-be-steampunk but still no prosthetics or actual scifi like this on purpose, dilemma.

So for the idea of making similar meshing set concepts or visual style to previous sets? It's already happened here, and support for it especially for the items that have few like them and potential to add more to, sitting there waiting.
Seeing how there's a distinct lack of different apparel that can fill the niche of what the Steampunk set did for those who the revamp changed it too much, it really does seem like we need similar apparel sets to some things, especially more Steampunk and varieties on that theme.

There are already a lot of other super similar visual or function and color items in sets already that have nothing to do with each other per se, and those straggling along as a shirt and pants duo, it's pretty strange that a distinct visual item like this has nothing similar to parallel it or put it with, so on the idea of adding more than one set for things similar, it's already been done for many items on site and should be continued with for example, similar wing items from before, currently missing steampunk concept items, prosthetics, etc.
Having more supplies that fill a specific conceptual and visual genre niche would greatly benefit this too-scifi-now-to-be-steampunk but still no prosthetics or actual scifi like this on purpose, dilemma.

So for the idea of making similar meshing set concepts or visual style to previous sets? It's already happened here, and support for it especially for the items that have few like them and potential to add more to, sitting there waiting.
oie.Pgg1_l68r_QDSN.png oie_q8_X06_TYk_S4g3.png
Support. My main issue with the revamp is, obviously, the drastic changes to the wings - I had one dragon for whom they were a really critical part of his design, and the main reason for that was the chunky "limb" part and the way they hugged his wings. The new ones don't do that at all. While I get that the wing armor is meant to be a replacement for the wing-hugging "armor" feel some of the old art had, a) no it's not, b) they still have stick-skinny super breakable looking bits, and c) they have a blue lantern that completely breaks his colors scheme.

It sucks, basically. (And if anyone's magicked up an apparel solution for the stupid tiny rods in the wings, please, let me know. It upsets me to look at.)
Support. My main issue with the revamp is, obviously, the drastic changes to the wings - I had one dragon for whom they were a really critical part of his design, and the main reason for that was the chunky "limb" part and the way they hugged his wings. The new ones don't do that at all. While I get that the wing armor is meant to be a replacement for the wing-hugging "armor" feel some of the old art had, a) no it's not, b) they still have stick-skinny super breakable looking bits, and c) they have a blue lantern that completely breaks his colors scheme.

It sucks, basically. (And if anyone's magicked up an apparel solution for the stupid tiny rods in the wings, please, let me know. It upsets me to look at.)
Esme, a very red and Plague-themed Skydancer. A medallion depicting the Plaguebringer in profile.
The new art is a step up in my opinion, I like how the staff are reworking some of the old, dated artwork. I liked when they updated the pirate apparel, I like the new round horns, and I ornate armour they redid a while ago is nice too. I’ve been hoping for a redrawing of the steam punk apparel (I was expecting it sooner or later) and I like it.

Sure, one of my dragons looks a bit weird with the new look of the gloves, but I can just get used to it, later apparel differently, or find something else. It’s a small price to pay for such a nice art update.
The new art is a step up in my opinion, I like how the staff are reworking some of the old, dated artwork. I liked when they updated the pirate apparel, I like the new round horns, and I ornate armour they redid a while ago is nice too. I’ve been hoping for a redrawing of the steam punk apparel (I was expecting it sooner or later) and I like it.

Sure, one of my dragons looks a bit weird with the new look of the gloves, but I can just get used to it, later apparel differently, or find something else. It’s a small price to pay for such a nice art update.
arkantos_signature_by_sludgy_by_sludgy-dben8lb.png
No support can't stand the old steampunk
No support can't stand the old steampunk
06xk8gV.png
XrUXyrn.gifse5O2Tt.gifpxx5HPD.gif
Believe me, darling
The stars were made for falling
No support.

There's another online game I play that's gotten a lot of heat because it's spent the majority of 2019 revamping old content instead of adding newer stuff, so I've kinda gotten my fair share of people making 'suggestions' like these.

I don't think there's anything wrong with FR - or any game - putting projects aside to revamp old material. Every game has to think about its future and adding to the current player base, future potential players may be dissuaded by the clashing quality of art on the site.

Also, I don't really see anything wrong with updating old work, especially for the sake of uniformity. I'm happy that the FR staff care about consistency and quality.
No support.

There's another online game I play that's gotten a lot of heat because it's spent the majority of 2019 revamping old content instead of adding newer stuff, so I've kinda gotten my fair share of people making 'suggestions' like these.

I don't think there's anything wrong with FR - or any game - putting projects aside to revamp old material. Every game has to think about its future and adding to the current player base, future potential players may be dissuaded by the clashing quality of art on the site.

Also, I don't really see anything wrong with updating old work, especially for the sake of uniformity. I'm happy that the FR staff care about consistency and quality.
Tn4aWhc.png
[quote name="Corviknight" date="2019-09-08 11:42:39" ] Six sets of cowboy apparel isn't "more variety". It's more of the same, which makes people not interested in cowboy wear annoyed, and people who actually like cowboy wear...not really excited, because it's things we already had. The site has the capacity to have thousands of wears. The artists don't have the capacity to produce infinite art. [/quote] Indeed There's also something else to consider here: new breeds. If we're endlessly collecting "copy" sets, they all need to be wearable by any new breed that pops into existence. Suddenly you have to fit 6 different Cowboy sets plus however many other copy sets that have accumulated (all with varying degrees of outdated artwork) onto this new breed. It's a lot of work, and a point that I think the art team wants to avoid if the whole decision to add the Ancients to the game is any indicator. Bloating the apparel selection is not a good alternative.
Corviknight wrote on 2019-09-08 11:42:39:

Six sets of cowboy apparel isn't "more variety". It's more of the same, which makes people not interested in cowboy wear annoyed, and people who actually like cowboy wear...not really excited, because it's things we already had.

The site has the capacity to have thousands of wears. The artists don't have the capacity to produce infinite art.

Indeed
There's also something else to consider here: new breeds.

If we're endlessly collecting "copy" sets, they all need to be wearable by any new breed that pops into existence. Suddenly you have to fit 6 different Cowboy sets plus however many other copy sets that have accumulated (all with varying degrees of outdated artwork) onto this new breed.

It's a lot of work, and a point that I think the art team wants to avoid if the whole decision to add the Ancients to the game is any indicator. Bloating the apparel selection is not a good alternative.
shadow_banner.pngA shadowy dragon which is representative of Zenzic's persona. An original design.shadow_banner.png
Imagination is the reality of our dreamscape.
No support. People will always resist change, even if change is good!
No support. People will always resist change, even if change is good!
8ab3d3b2a13c364db89e13ba399ceced86ab48ef.pngtIYcLSC.png UzGmb10.png m0kyk3D.png Ask about DnD
1 2 3 4 5 6 7