Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Please Stop "Updating" old apparel
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
I disagree. If it helps, think about it this way: maybe 1 or 2 of your dragons look worse in the update, but 1 or 2 different dragons that may have looked bad in the old set may look good in the new. Therefore this is not the criteria we should judge it on.

In terms of the clipping issues (like being laid over the tail), yes that does need fixed.
I disagree. If it helps, think about it this way: maybe 1 or 2 of your dragons look worse in the update, but 1 or 2 different dragons that may have looked bad in the old set may look good in the new. Therefore this is not the criteria we should judge it on.

In terms of the clipping issues (like being laid over the tail), yes that does need fixed.
BFEMrcM.png
[quote name="nohsara" date="2019-09-13 18:56:01" ] I disagree. If it helps, think about it this way: maybe 1 or 2 of your dragons look worse in the update, but 1 or 2 different dragons that may have looked bad in the old set may look good in the new. Therefore this is not the criteria we should judge it on. In terms of the clipping issues (like being laid over the tail), yes that does need fixed. [/quote] My baby girl looks even better now [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/498961/49896099_350.png[/img]
nohsara wrote on 2019-09-13 18:56:01:

My baby girl looks even better now
49896099_350.png
Emperor_Banner.png

Former Plague || Ping if you need anything
No support. Whether you like the old stuff or the new stuff as a player is entirely irrelevant to this suggestion. Freedom to make changes to creative IP in accordance with a wider vision for a large project (in this case, the whole FR aesthetic world) trumps individual gripes about liking old apparel that no longer fits with the IP owner's preferences.
No support. Whether you like the old stuff or the new stuff as a player is entirely irrelevant to this suggestion. Freedom to make changes to creative IP in accordance with a wider vision for a large project (in this case, the whole FR aesthetic world) trumps individual gripes about liking old apparel that no longer fits with the IP owner's preferences.
no support. while i think updates should stay true to the original look, there's a lot of apparel which just doesn't fit in with the rest of the newer apparel and makes it stand out in a bad way.

change is good. don't resist it
no support. while i think updates should stay true to the original look, there's a lot of apparel which just doesn't fit in with the rest of the newer apparel and makes it stand out in a bad way.

change is good. don't resist it
Ra2gKTW.png
may ♠ she/her ♠ +9 fr time
[ accent shop ]
Hm, to be honest, support.
Let’s face it : the starsilk apparel is basically an update of the silk apparel, yet we have the two hanging around, looking great, serving similar purposes in outfits. If they could do that instead of changing whole sets, it would be nice. It would also make them less restrained in their creativity. They could litterally change everything and it wouldn’t matter because the old stuff is still there.
OR : just retrace the old art. Update the crispness of the lines, maybe the shadings. But don’t just change stuff. I love the steampunk revamp but the bows really disappointed me :/

EDIT : I also think they’re on the right path with the steampunk stuff. A lot of stuff looks very similar to the old art (ex. Goggles) if they could have done that with every pieces it would have been better imo.
Hm, to be honest, support.
Let’s face it : the starsilk apparel is basically an update of the silk apparel, yet we have the two hanging around, looking great, serving similar purposes in outfits. If they could do that instead of changing whole sets, it would be nice. It would also make them less restrained in their creativity. They could litterally change everything and it wouldn’t matter because the old stuff is still there.
OR : just retrace the old art. Update the crispness of the lines, maybe the shadings. But don’t just change stuff. I love the steampunk revamp but the bows really disappointed me :/

EDIT : I also think they’re on the right path with the steampunk stuff. A lot of stuff looks very similar to the old art (ex. Goggles) if they could have done that with every pieces it would have been better imo.
Support!! So very much support. I was excited about the revamp until I realized that I couldn’t pick between the old apparel and the new ( I actually thought we were getting a new kind of steampunk set when I saw the pictures). The new set is so different that it should have been a different set entirely.

I’m fine with revamps and cleaning things up but completely redrawing them without any input from those that loved the old version kinda sucks. I was really disappointed when I realized the old look was completely gone and I had to change a bunch of my dragons.

Though I will admit I’m resistant to change and may be affected more than others (Once I get the apparel I like on a dragon it stays that was for as long as that apparel stays the same. In most cases, I like what I like and I don’t like being forced to change something because that something wasn’t just touched up or mostly the same but completely changed.)
Support!! So very much support. I was excited about the revamp until I realized that I couldn’t pick between the old apparel and the new ( I actually thought we were getting a new kind of steampunk set when I saw the pictures). The new set is so different that it should have been a different set entirely.

I’m fine with revamps and cleaning things up but completely redrawing them without any input from those that loved the old version kinda sucks. I was really disappointed when I realized the old look was completely gone and I had to change a bunch of my dragons.

Though I will admit I’m resistant to change and may be affected more than others (Once I get the apparel I like on a dragon it stays that was for as long as that apparel stays the same. In most cases, I like what I like and I don’t like being forced to change something because that something wasn’t just touched up or mostly the same but completely changed.)
Support.

For those complaining saying they don't want ten different cowboy sets or something like that, I'm not saying make that many sets of the same thing. I understand artwork gets updated but there is enough new outfits that the old ones really don't need to be updated. If anything it just messes up people's commissioned art of their dragons or the aesthetic they were going for.

And even if there are more copies of a cowboy like outfit they don't all have to be called cowboy. There are many different words that could be used to describe a cowboyish themed outfit. Western, desert, gunslinger, dusty, threadbare; these could be used to describe something that looks similar to a cowboy outfit. It doesn't have to be the exact word to get the point across.

And as far as having to draw old clothes on new breeds, I think if the clothing goes so many years back it shouldn't be included as something the new breed can wear. This would take care of the issue of art styles changing and would allow the outfit directory to not be so cluttered.
Support.

For those complaining saying they don't want ten different cowboy sets or something like that, I'm not saying make that many sets of the same thing. I understand artwork gets updated but there is enough new outfits that the old ones really don't need to be updated. If anything it just messes up people's commissioned art of their dragons or the aesthetic they were going for.

And even if there are more copies of a cowboy like outfit they don't all have to be called cowboy. There are many different words that could be used to describe a cowboyish themed outfit. Western, desert, gunslinger, dusty, threadbare; these could be used to describe something that looks similar to a cowboy outfit. It doesn't have to be the exact word to get the point across.

And as far as having to draw old clothes on new breeds, I think if the clothing goes so many years back it shouldn't be included as something the new breed can wear. This would take care of the issue of art styles changing and would allow the outfit directory to not be so cluttered.
knhLXgs.png
i actually do support. i very much appreciate the staff caring about quality and taking the time to fix little details, but i don't see why there can't be an option to choose the original artwork if it suits your dragon best. making the new steampunk a whole different set would be the best solution. it could just be as simple as "copper steampunk wing armor: classic" and "copper steampunk wing armor: modern" or something, just as an example.

especially if they ever decide to update more expensive apparel (not sure if they would, but maybe), i could see how it would be even more frustrating if you spent a long time saving up for it, only to be changed into something you don't really like anymore.

i see some concern for inconsistent art styles, and i can understand that, but in my opinion, i don't think the art itself is drastically different. i don't think having different styles of similar apparel would clash or look make the site look bad.
i actually do support. i very much appreciate the staff caring about quality and taking the time to fix little details, but i don't see why there can't be an option to choose the original artwork if it suits your dragon best. making the new steampunk a whole different set would be the best solution. it could just be as simple as "copper steampunk wing armor: classic" and "copper steampunk wing armor: modern" or something, just as an example.

especially if they ever decide to update more expensive apparel (not sure if they would, but maybe), i could see how it would be even more frustrating if you spent a long time saving up for it, only to be changed into something you don't really like anymore.

i see some concern for inconsistent art styles, and i can understand that, but in my opinion, i don't think the art itself is drastically different. i don't think having different styles of similar apparel would clash or look make the site look bad.
SdIF9XK.gif..
raven
she/her • FR+0
» lore
» art shop
» adopts
I personally have no problems with art updates but since personal opinions don't matter here, I'll try to point out as many cons and pros as possible.
  • Firstly, I fear that the update of art is necessary. The Staff has pointed out several times that they are trying to bring the art of everything to a consistent and even art style. The lineart, the colouring and the art style of many old apparel items seem to be outdated and the Staff said that they are planning on revamping them.
  • Secondly, numerous apparel "sets" (some of which aren't even sets but lonely singular pieces of apparel) are missing other fitting pieces. Of course, adding new pieces doesn't necessitate the revamp of older pieces BUT, the artists of this site have majorly improved (I am not talking about new artists who have been employed some time ago and now they're making some new apparel.) If some sets received new pieces but kept the old ones, the difference between the art style would be immense. An example is the updated flower art. The difference between old and new pieces is immense and people are very very angry about it. It just wouldn't work but some sets truly deserve to be expanded and the demand is increasing
  • Thirdly, there are numerous flaws with very old apparel. From clipping, wrong non-matching colours to stretching and odd placement. They need to be revamped to work and look properly on dragons, especially the upcoming breeds who will have fresh apparel but others will have outdated versions. The roundhorns were an improvement, whether you personally like the style or not. What they addressed and fixed are stretched art of roundhorns and completely wrong angles at which they were placed onto dragons. Old roundhorns looked dreadful on some breeds, male Imperials for example, where the background horn was completely out of place and looked malformed, on some they clipped through dragons' heads and some were just copied and stretched. It had to be done. The wraps (linens) most certainly deserve an update. They're one of the oldest sets and have little coverage, clip through dragons' limbs and bodies in a weird way and deserve more interesting
    patterns and better paint jobs. The cowls and mantles are also a problem. The inconsistency between colours and awful clipping between one and the other that makes them unusable together on many breeds even though they're supposed to be complimentary pieces is awful and really needs to be fixed. Birdskull sets look nothing like real bird skulls, especially headdresses which should be revamped. Journeyman Satchels are just copy-pasted and stretched onto dragons which looks very bad, whether you like it or not.

However, with roundhorns, steampunk apparel, armor and flower sets, there were also many consistency flaws and errors which all must be addressed.
  • Roundhorns lost their boney, rough look and they look much shinier now which is NOT something that should have been changed. Old armor sets definitely received the biggest update and it was more of a revamp than an update. The style completely changed which probably left many many people dissatisfied and I personally think the best solution for it would have been revamping the old apparel to look the same, just with updated and more consistent art, and releasing new separate armor sets. I don't mind the "new" versions of armor but I'm sure there were people who were very dissatisfied. The flowers got incredible and beautiful art but the inconsistency with colours is atrocious. That is most certainly something that needs to be pointed out to the Staff and fixed asap. Old leaf variations on old flower pieces were much more complimenting and less contrasting with petal colours than they are on revamped ones, and the new pieces would look much better with old colours. The steampunk apparel, however, is one of the most consistent revamps we've seen so far, with the wings as the only exception. Even though I personally love the new wings, the sudden design change was unnecessary. What the Staff could have done was keep the wing design and add one more wing piece that resembled the new ones instead.
  • The second problem are these truly obnoxious clipping errors and colour changes. While the art has visibly improved, some newer sets look much more or less shiny or flat which is something that needs to be fixed. Clipping errors such as those of caught arms or tails are really bad and need to fixed as well.

All in all, updates and expansions are necessary but consistency is also a very big part that needs to be focused on. I do not support nor am I against this suggestion, this suggestion points out numerous flaws with the current revamp system that must be brought into light and I'm very happy to see that. I think some sort of middle ground needs to be found.
I personally have no problems with art updates but since personal opinions don't matter here, I'll try to point out as many cons and pros as possible.
  • Firstly, I fear that the update of art is necessary. The Staff has pointed out several times that they are trying to bring the art of everything to a consistent and even art style. The lineart, the colouring and the art style of many old apparel items seem to be outdated and the Staff said that they are planning on revamping them.
  • Secondly, numerous apparel "sets" (some of which aren't even sets but lonely singular pieces of apparel) are missing other fitting pieces. Of course, adding new pieces doesn't necessitate the revamp of older pieces BUT, the artists of this site have majorly improved (I am not talking about new artists who have been employed some time ago and now they're making some new apparel.) If some sets received new pieces but kept the old ones, the difference between the art style would be immense. An example is the updated flower art. The difference between old and new pieces is immense and people are very very angry about it. It just wouldn't work but some sets truly deserve to be expanded and the demand is increasing
  • Thirdly, there are numerous flaws with very old apparel. From clipping, wrong non-matching colours to stretching and odd placement. They need to be revamped to work and look properly on dragons, especially the upcoming breeds who will have fresh apparel but others will have outdated versions. The roundhorns were an improvement, whether you personally like the style or not. What they addressed and fixed are stretched art of roundhorns and completely wrong angles at which they were placed onto dragons. Old roundhorns looked dreadful on some breeds, male Imperials for example, where the background horn was completely out of place and looked malformed, on some they clipped through dragons' heads and some were just copied and stretched. It had to be done. The wraps (linens) most certainly deserve an update. They're one of the oldest sets and have little coverage, clip through dragons' limbs and bodies in a weird way and deserve more interesting
    patterns and better paint jobs. The cowls and mantles are also a problem. The inconsistency between colours and awful clipping between one and the other that makes them unusable together on many breeds even though they're supposed to be complimentary pieces is awful and really needs to be fixed. Birdskull sets look nothing like real bird skulls, especially headdresses which should be revamped. Journeyman Satchels are just copy-pasted and stretched onto dragons which looks very bad, whether you like it or not.

However, with roundhorns, steampunk apparel, armor and flower sets, there were also many consistency flaws and errors which all must be addressed.
  • Roundhorns lost their boney, rough look and they look much shinier now which is NOT something that should have been changed. Old armor sets definitely received the biggest update and it was more of a revamp than an update. The style completely changed which probably left many many people dissatisfied and I personally think the best solution for it would have been revamping the old apparel to look the same, just with updated and more consistent art, and releasing new separate armor sets. I don't mind the "new" versions of armor but I'm sure there were people who were very dissatisfied. The flowers got incredible and beautiful art but the inconsistency with colours is atrocious. That is most certainly something that needs to be pointed out to the Staff and fixed asap. Old leaf variations on old flower pieces were much more complimenting and less contrasting with petal colours than they are on revamped ones, and the new pieces would look much better with old colours. The steampunk apparel, however, is one of the most consistent revamps we've seen so far, with the wings as the only exception. Even though I personally love the new wings, the sudden design change was unnecessary. What the Staff could have done was keep the wing design and add one more wing piece that resembled the new ones instead.
  • The second problem are these truly obnoxious clipping errors and colour changes. While the art has visibly improved, some newer sets look much more or less shiny or flat which is something that needs to be fixed. Clipping errors such as those of caught arms or tails are really bad and need to fixed as well.

All in all, updates and expansions are necessary but consistency is also a very big part that needs to be focused on. I do not support nor am I against this suggestion, this suggestion points out numerous flaws with the current revamp system that must be brought into light and I'm very happy to see that. I think some sort of middle ground needs to be found.
Link to art shopLink to skin shopImage depicting a large blue crab carrying produce on their back, its purpose being a background element for the signatureLink to a personal log thread containing various different links, information and sources
[quote name="Vendrus" date="2019-09-07 00:58:43" ] We'd end up keeping so much really dubious copy-paste-stretch art and duplicates of sets with slightly different names and just millions of items if staff never actively replaced items. It sucks to have to retweak outfits occasionally, but if I was in staff's position I wouldn't want to keep old (relatively) bad art around that didn't show my skills and the site's quality in a good light. Plus, it would make it an absolute nightmare to find anything after a little while. EDIT: I also personally don't want 'this, but a bit different'. I used the old art because it was the best option at the time - and for this set in particular it was one that was very, very rarely used. The new set is much higher quality and still gives my old dragon wearing it the same look. [/quote] No support for above OP's reason. EDIT: I would love to see some of the genes updated
Vendrus wrote on 2019-09-07 00:58:43:
We'd end up keeping so much really dubious copy-paste-stretch art and duplicates of sets with slightly different names and just millions of items if staff never actively replaced items. It sucks to have to retweak outfits occasionally, but if I was in staff's position I wouldn't want to keep old (relatively) bad art around that didn't show my skills and the site's quality in a good light.

Plus, it would make it an absolute nightmare to find anything after a little while.

EDIT: I also personally don't want 'this, but a bit different'. I used the old art because it was the best option at the time - and for this set in particular it was one that was very, very rarely used. The new set is much higher quality and still gives my old dragon wearing it the same look.

No support for above OP's reason.

EDIT: I would love to see some of the genes updated
Oufkzg8.png
1 2 3 4 5 6 7