Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Please Stop "Updating" old apparel
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
It's not just the tail bauble, it's every glow in the Copper set that's blue now- blue like the Brass glow has been and is.
I really needed these to stay green and without it we have two light blue and one dark blue steampunk glows and no green steampunk glows at all.

Example on a thread I made about this.

As for the rest of it I do wish we'd have a legacy set, it does look sharper (which tbh I do not like and it throws off my dragons a lot too but I can't imagine we'd get a legacy set so I'm settling for trying to fix blue to green again)
and the completely new look is flat and also looks.. too new? Steampunk isn't really 'supposed' to be brand new looking, tbh.
It's not just the tail bauble, it's every glow in the Copper set that's blue now- blue like the Brass glow has been and is.
I really needed these to stay green and without it we have two light blue and one dark blue steampunk glows and no green steampunk glows at all.

Example on a thread I made about this.

As for the rest of it I do wish we'd have a legacy set, it does look sharper (which tbh I do not like and it throws off my dragons a lot too but I can't imagine we'd get a legacy set so I'm settling for trying to fix blue to green again)
and the completely new look is flat and also looks.. too new? Steampunk isn't really 'supposed' to be brand new looking, tbh.
oie.Pgg1_l68r_QDSN.png oie_q8_X06_TYk_S4g3.png
[quote name="Saronai" date="2019-09-07 02:09:13" ] New gear should leave all of us either excited (love!) or indifferent (probably will never use), not a wake of several players who are variants of sad and annoyed because something they liked was removed in the process. [/quote] If I knew how to embroider, I'd put this on a sampler. This is it exactly.
Saronai wrote on 2019-09-07 02:09:13:
New gear should leave all of us either excited (love!) or indifferent (probably will never use), not a wake of several players who are variants of sad and annoyed because something they liked was removed in the process.

If I knew how to embroider, I'd put this on a sampler. This is it exactly.
Y2CN2aK.png wc26tNn.png
No support, flourish sets are depressed need to be fixed.
GkKw54H.png
[quote name="5H4D0WDU57" date="2019-09-07 03:54:31" ] No support, flourish sets are depressed need to be fixed. [/quote] Thanks for illustrating my point :/ [quote name="Lara8" date="2019-09-07 01:36:19" ] Everybody's favorite apparel set could always be next, because 'bad art' is subjective. If you don't like something the way it is, you don't have to incorporate it into your dragons. [/quote] You see depression, I see hours in the Boreal Woods getting the last piece I needed for [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=27790908]my Arcane rep[/url].
5H4D0WDU57 wrote on 2019-09-07 03:54:31:

Thanks for illustrating my point :/

Lara8 wrote on 2019-09-07 01:36:19:
Everybody's favorite apparel set could always be next, because 'bad art' is subjective. If you don't like something the way it is, you don't have to incorporate it into your dragons.

You see depression, I see hours in the Boreal Woods getting the last piece I needed for my Arcane rep.
Y2CN2aK.png wc26tNn.png
Yeah, I'd like it if they at least kept a legacy option available for those that liked the old art if they insist on updating older sets. I'm still not happy about the dramatic change to the roundhorns, I vastly preferred the chunky, natural look the original designs had over the fake plastic costume prop look they have now.
Yeah, I'd like it if they at least kept a legacy option available for those that liked the old art if they insist on updating older sets. I'm still not happy about the dramatic change to the roundhorns, I vastly preferred the chunky, natural look the original designs had over the fake plastic costume prop look they have now.
70963472_XPWFcmaFImCJJZ5.png
There is absolutely no reason to fear that "every" apparel set is next for an art update. They're specifically updating older art sets to match the rest of the site. They're not just going to continuously update apparel forever. We're not going to see revamps of the Ghastcrown style apparel, scale armor, or arctic wear to give a few examples. As someone else already pointed out, old art has to be fitted to new breeds, and the standard for art here has been updated. It's better to bring all apparel up to this new standard rather than have it look so wildly different between existing breedfs and future modern breeds. Unfortunately, part of updating apparel means some us won't like it anymore. Honestly though, I wonder if at least some of the annoyance is simply that it's different...

Personally, I'm very happy to get the redone steampunk apparel, if for no other reason to have something that isn't feathers, flowers, and dresses!
There is absolutely no reason to fear that "every" apparel set is next for an art update. They're specifically updating older art sets to match the rest of the site. They're not just going to continuously update apparel forever. We're not going to see revamps of the Ghastcrown style apparel, scale armor, or arctic wear to give a few examples. As someone else already pointed out, old art has to be fitted to new breeds, and the standard for art here has been updated. It's better to bring all apparel up to this new standard rather than have it look so wildly different between existing breedfs and future modern breeds. Unfortunately, part of updating apparel means some us won't like it anymore. Honestly though, I wonder if at least some of the annoyance is simply that it's different...

Personally, I'm very happy to get the redone steampunk apparel, if for no other reason to have something that isn't feathers, flowers, and dresses!
Nobody wants to tell you why discipline is so important. Discipline is the strongest form of self-love. It is ignoring current pleasures for bigger rewards to come. It's loving yourself enough to give yourself everything you've ever wanted.
[font=georgia]No support for the reasons Vendrus stated. Things change, artstyle has to be consistent. All old sets are going to get redone and I honestly can't wait. Even if it means I'll have to retweak a few outfits (which I am doing right now cause of this update and it's ok). [quote name="Vendrus" date="2019-09-07 00:58:43" ] [font=georgia]We'd end up keeping so much really dubious copy-paste-stretch art and duplicates of sets with slightly different names and just millions of items if staff never actively replaced items. It sucks to have to retweak outfits occasionally, but if I was in staff's position I wouldn't want to keep old (relatively) bad art around that didn't show my skills and the site's quality in a good light. Plus, it would make it an absolute nightmare to find anything after a little while. EDIT: I also personally don't want 'this, but a bit different'. I used the old art because it was the best option at the time - and for this set in particular it was one that was very, very rarely used. The new set is much higher quality and still gives my old dragon wearing it the same look. [/quote]
No support for the reasons Vendrus stated. Things change, artstyle has to be consistent. All old sets are going to get redone and I honestly can't wait. Even if it means I'll have to retweak a few outfits (which I am doing right now cause of this update and it's ok).

Vendrus wrote on 2019-09-07 00:58:43:
We'd end up keeping so much really dubious copy-paste-stretch art and duplicates of sets with slightly different names and just millions of items if staff never actively replaced items. It sucks to have to retweak outfits occasionally, but if I was in staff's position I wouldn't want to keep old (relatively) bad art around that didn't show my skills and the site's quality in a good light.

Plus, it would make it an absolute nightmare to find anything after a little while.

EDIT: I also personally don't want 'this, but a bit different'. I used the old art because it was the best option at the time - and for this set in particular it was one that was very, very rarely used. The new set is much higher quality and still gives my old dragon wearing it the same look.
..... image.png
-.-
-

FR+10 | She/It | 23

-.-
Tumblr Blog | Skin Shop
--
-.- 01.png
[quote name="LaskaEira" date="2019-09-07 06:04:32" ] There is absolutely no reason to fear that "every" apparel set is next for an art update. They're specifically updating older art sets to match the rest of the site. They're not just going to continuously update apparel forever. We're not going to see revamps of the Ghastcrown style apparel, scale armor, or arctic wear to give a few examples. As someone else already pointed out, old art has to be fitted to new breeds, and the standard for art here has been updated. It's better to bring all apparel up to this new standard rather than have it look so wildly different between existing breedfs and future modern breeds. Unfortunately, part of updating apparel means some us won't like it anymore. Honestly though, I wonder if at least some of the annoyance is simply that it's different... Personally, I'm very happy to get the redone steampunk apparel, if for no other reason to have something that isn't feathers, flowers, and dresses! [/quote] I would like to point out that this is actually incorrect. I am on another site, and they are revamping older pet art (and it needs it). I wasn't too upset, because Isaw some of the older art (most of it happened before I joined), but just recently someone was mentioning that X species was already revamped, for now. No one contradicted them, so it is entirely possible that the species that have already been revamped, will be revamped again at some point in the future. The same can be said here. The reasoning behind the revamps is that the older apparel is outdated and doesn't fit with the style of new. But isn't their 'style' always changing? So, at some point in the future, 6 months, a year from now, 2 years from now, apparel released just a month ago could very well be on the docket for revamping because it no longer 'fits with the style and aesthetics of the site' So yes, everyone's favorite apparel set may be next on the list to be revamped, no matter how old or how new, because the site artists styles are changing constantly and eventually most of the existing apparel sets will look odd next to brand new ones, and even the revamped stuff may eventually be revamped again if it starts looking outdated. Revamping is a never ending process in this case simply because the reasoning is vague and subjective. I also dislike that they are changing the pieces, not just revamping them, but completely changing the looks. That is why I dislike revamps, because they aren't usually revamps, but rather completely redoing the old pieces with new artwork so it looks completely different. It would also be different if they were actually fixing art issues and not introducing others, but they aren't. There are still art errors and problems that they are doing, so to me, revamps like this are a waste of time, and please very few people (except some players who either disliked the old set, or like change for changes sake, with a few others who wanted the set to be updated thrown in) and displeasing a lot of players whose dragons have suddenly changed their looks without warning ,and no way to get that look back, or even a similar look back.
LaskaEira wrote on 2019-09-07 06:04:32:

I would like to point out that this is actually incorrect.

I am on another site, and they are revamping older pet art (and it needs it). I wasn't too upset, because Isaw some of the older art (most of it happened before I joined), but just recently someone was mentioning that X species was already revamped, for now. No one contradicted them, so it is entirely possible that the species that have already been revamped, will be revamped again at some point in the future.

The same can be said here. The reasoning behind the revamps is that the older apparel is outdated and doesn't fit with the style of new. But isn't their 'style' always changing? So, at some point in the future, 6 months, a year from now, 2 years from now, apparel released just a month ago could very well be on the docket for revamping because it no longer 'fits with the style and aesthetics of the site'

So yes, everyone's favorite apparel set may be next on the list to be revamped, no matter how old or how new, because the site artists styles are changing constantly and eventually most of the existing apparel sets will look odd next to brand new ones, and even the revamped stuff may eventually be revamped again if it starts looking outdated.

Revamping is a never ending process in this case simply because the reasoning is vague and subjective.

I also dislike that they are changing the pieces, not just revamping them, but completely changing the looks. That is why I dislike revamps, because they aren't usually revamps, but rather completely redoing the old pieces with new artwork so it looks completely different.

It would also be different if they were actually fixing art issues and not introducing others, but they aren't. There are still art errors and problems that they are doing, so to me, revamps like this are a waste of time, and please very few people (except some players who either disliked the old set, or like change for changes sake, with a few others who wanted the set to be updated thrown in) and displeasing a lot of players whose dragons have suddenly changed their looks without warning ,and no way to get that look back, or even a similar look back.

#UnnamedIsValid
Let them Fight
Let them Serve the Deities
Let them Exist in peace!
Dragons needed --->
58610356.png
Breed Characteristic Apparel!

Cuckoo Breed and Mutations!

Change Unnamed in YOUR dragon's profile!
14318365.png
^

That's another big problem. How new can ever be new enough to be 'safe'?

IMO, the worst hit in the eye update were female Bogsneaks - aka, the most recently-drawn breed before it happened. So 'they only just made that, they wouldn't mess with it' isn't a reassuring argument anyway.
^

That's another big problem. How new can ever be new enough to be 'safe'?

IMO, the worst hit in the eye update were female Bogsneaks - aka, the most recently-drawn breed before it happened. So 'they only just made that, they wouldn't mess with it' isn't a reassuring argument anyway.
Y2CN2aK.png wc26tNn.png
No support.

Some apparel sets are dated, and do not mesh with newer ones yet, and yes, the Steampunk set was one of them. We didn't need two sets of similar steampunk stuff, it's not something like the silks where it's extremely popular and desirable.

Some old apparel still meshes very well with the current style (hi flowerfalls, elemental runes...) while some other apparel...does not.

Keeping outdated stuff on the site will just make everything cluttered.
No support.

Some apparel sets are dated, and do not mesh with newer ones yet, and yes, the Steampunk set was one of them. We didn't need two sets of similar steampunk stuff, it's not something like the silks where it's extremely popular and desirable.

Some old apparel still meshes very well with the current style (hi flowerfalls, elemental runes...) while some other apparel...does not.

Keeping outdated stuff on the site will just make everything cluttered.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7