Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Change Unnamed in YOUR dragon's profile
1 2 ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22
I like this, it would be a good solution, but might be difficult to do(?). I'm not 100% sure on that though, as I can't code super well.
I like this, it would be a good solution, but might be difficult to do(?). I'm not 100% sure on that though, as I can't code super well.
wolf_animated6.gif____________Don't mind the lore, I swear I'm nice!_____________sV98jdU.png
the question how havyer this makes code?
Code should somehow track and change nickname to name every time dragon leaves lair of person gived nickname.

I'm afraid this could be very complicated.
Code should somehow track and change nickname to name every time dragon leaves lair of person gived nickname.

preorder list

Buy

Buy

Buy

Buy
[quote name="Alkhor" date="2021-06-10 07:57:51" ] the question how havyer this makes code? Code should somehow track and change nickname to name every time dragon leaves lair of person gived nickname. I'm afraid this could be very complicated. [/quote] Why would it be complicated? This wouldn't actually touch the actual dragons, just appear on the parent dragon. As for if that dragon is sold/traded, it would be simple to just wipe those nicknames out and display the actual names, or utilize the code for progens, and make it so dragons aren't able to leave the lair until the offspring list is 'natural'.
Alkhor wrote on 2021-06-10 07:57:51:

Why would it be complicated?

This wouldn't actually touch the actual dragons, just appear on the parent dragon.

As for if that dragon is sold/traded, it would be simple to just wipe those nicknames out and display the actual names, or utilize the code for progens, and make it so dragons aren't able to leave the lair until the offspring list is 'natural'.

#UnnamedIsValid
Let them Fight
Let them Serve the Deities
Let them Exist in peace!
Dragons needed --->
58610356.png
Breed Characteristic Apparel!

Cuckoo Breed and Mutations!

Change Unnamed in YOUR dragon's profile!
14318365.png
This actually seems rather complex coding wise. There's also the issue that the database would be per dragon, per every offspring it has as both parents would obviously be able to have different nicknames (as both parents might not have the same nickname, or may be in another lair.)

I guess they could add a "parentalnicknameM" and "parentalnicknameF" row but I certainly wouldn't be into it. There's questions like, do the parents come with their children nicknamed? If not everytime the dragon is traded, sold, exalted, anything at all, it has to check all its offspring for a nickname and remove it for each of those features.

And of course, while this suggestion is asking for parents to nickname their children, badly named parents are an issue too (I try to buy the parents of my dragons personally so I can give them thematic names and then exalt them.) so we're either going to end up with per parent naming too (Which will all have the same problems), or a lot of suggestions asking for it.

It just feels like a whole lot for nothing. It's possible to do but I feel like if parental lists are important to a user, other than a "hide entire offspring list" feature, the user needs to make the effort to keep their offspring list "clean." (Whatever their standard of clean is.)

For some that's just naming before selling, for others it might be buying the parents to make sure they can't get sold to someone and named something silly like "SHOOPWOOP"

Basically no support. This has little impact on things and should be up to the player keep their dragon offspring (and parent!) list the way they want.
This actually seems rather complex coding wise. There's also the issue that the database would be per dragon, per every offspring it has as both parents would obviously be able to have different nicknames (as both parents might not have the same nickname, or may be in another lair.)

I guess they could add a "parentalnicknameM" and "parentalnicknameF" row but I certainly wouldn't be into it. There's questions like, do the parents come with their children nicknamed? If not everytime the dragon is traded, sold, exalted, anything at all, it has to check all its offspring for a nickname and remove it for each of those features.

And of course, while this suggestion is asking for parents to nickname their children, badly named parents are an issue too (I try to buy the parents of my dragons personally so I can give them thematic names and then exalt them.) so we're either going to end up with per parent naming too (Which will all have the same problems), or a lot of suggestions asking for it.

It just feels like a whole lot for nothing. It's possible to do but I feel like if parental lists are important to a user, other than a "hide entire offspring list" feature, the user needs to make the effort to keep their offspring list "clean." (Whatever their standard of clean is.)

For some that's just naming before selling, for others it might be buying the parents to make sure they can't get sold to someone and named something silly like "SHOOPWOOP"

Basically no support. This has little impact on things and should be up to the player keep their dragon offspring (and parent!) list the way they want.
[quote name="Eulogy" date="2021-06-10 08:24:51" ] This actually seems rather complex coding wise. There's also the issue that the database would be per dragon, per every offspring it has as both parents would obviously be able to have different nicknames (as both parents might not have the same nickname, or may be in another lair.) I guess they could add a "parentalnicknameM" and "parentalnicknameF" row but I certainly wouldn't be into it. There's questions like, do the parents come with their children nicknamed? If not everytime the dragon is traded, sold, exalted, anything at all, it has to check all its offspring for a nickname and remove it for each of those features. And of course, while this suggestion is asking for parents to nickname their children, badly named parents are an issue too (I try to buy the parents of my dragons personally so I can give them thematic names and then exalt them.) so we're either going to end up with per parent naming too (Which will all have the same problems), or a lot of suggestions asking for it. It just feels like a whole lot for nothing. It's possible to do but I feel like if parental lists are important to a user, other than a "hide entire offspring list" feature, the user needs to make the effort to keep their offspring list "clean." (Whatever their standard of clean is.) For some that's just naming before selling, for others it might be buying the parents to make sure they can't get sold to someone and named something silly like "SHOOPWOOP" [/quote] I am not sure why it would have to be that complicated. It would just have to be like the famliars, where the name sticks with the account. Just add a new field to the offspring database: Offspring Name; Displayed name. It doesn't, and shouldn't, affect the offspring at all, and it should be relatively easy to just go through and if a dragon is sold/traded/exalted, wipe out 'nicknames.txt' or however those nicknames are stored. Or, if that is too much trouble, just do like they used to do with permababies, and make the dragons non-exaltable/non-tradeable. The code already exists. I see this as being more of a simple 'display this TXT instead of that TXT' rather than having to worry about the dragon. IE, if I own Parent One with Offspring 1, 2 and 3, and you own Parent Two with those same offspring, you could name your offspring as Themes 1, 2 and 4, while mine are named Cats 3, 2, and 6. Whoever owns Offspring 1, 2 and 3 wouldn't even know about the nicknames unless they looked at the parents' listing. I wouldn't know that you have a different nickname unless i looked at Parent Two. You wouldn't know what I named them unless you looked at Parent One. It should be relatively simple to force the parent page to override the actual name and add the nickname instead. I could see this as getting potentially unwieldy for dragons that have literal hundreds of offspring lists, but I don't really think it would be that complicated or cause a lot of lag either.
Eulogy wrote on 2021-06-10 08:24:51:

I am not sure why it would have to be that complicated.

It would just have to be like the famliars, where the name sticks with the account.

Just add a new field to the offspring database: Offspring Name; Displayed name.

It doesn't, and shouldn't, affect the offspring at all, and it should be relatively easy to just go through and if a dragon is sold/traded/exalted, wipe out 'nicknames.txt' or however those nicknames are stored.

Or, if that is too much trouble, just do like they used to do with permababies, and make the dragons non-exaltable/non-tradeable. The code already exists.

I see this as being more of a simple 'display this TXT instead of that TXT' rather than having to worry about the dragon.

IE, if I own Parent One with Offspring 1, 2 and 3, and you own Parent Two with those same offspring, you could name your offspring as Themes 1, 2 and 4, while mine are named Cats 3, 2, and 6. Whoever owns Offspring 1, 2 and 3 wouldn't even know about the nicknames unless they looked at the parents' listing.

I wouldn't know that you have a different nickname unless i looked at Parent Two. You wouldn't know what I named them unless you looked at Parent One.

It should be relatively simple to force the parent page to override the actual name and add the nickname instead.

I could see this as getting potentially unwieldy for dragons that have literal hundreds of offspring lists, but I don't really think it would be that complicated or cause a lot of lag either.

#UnnamedIsValid
Let them Fight
Let them Exist in peace!
Dragons needed --->
58610356.png

14318365.png
Something I forgot to post in my first post was Both you and me do not know what FR's database looks like. I can only guess from my own experience in working with backend databases as to how it works, but I don't know how their database is structured truly (none of us do, or I at least hope none of us do) we can only guess from what we see on the front end (which can be deceiving.) So both take this with a spoonful of salt, as well as consider this more toward the devs. As there's little for the users to discuss on that matter. I don't typically comment in the suggestion forum for discussion as devs have last call in the end. My apologies for forgetting to post that. I usually make that more clear when I speak on my own personal knowledge of working on databases that there is no one way to do it and what I'm suggesting might be the world's most horrible plan or right on the money. [quote name="Jemadar" date="2021-06-10 08:38:17" ] I am not sure why it would have to be that complicated. It would just have to be like the famliars, where the name sticks with the account. [/quote] Dragons are not like familiars. If you sell a familiar and buy another one of the same type, the game doesn't consider this a new familiar, it considers it the same one. [quote name="Jemadar" date="2021-06-10 08:38:17" ] Just add a new field to the offspring database: Offspring Name; Displayed name. It doesn't, and shouldn't, affect the offspring at all, and it should be relatively easy to just go through and if a dragon is sold/traded/exalted, wipe out 'nicknames.txt' or however those nicknames are stored.[/quote] I would hope that dragon offspring lists aren't stored within a bunch of columns in a database attached to the parent. That's just asking for lag. If offsprings are stored like that then we got more problems than nicknames. I [i]assume[/i] that when you land on the parent page it just looks for "dragons from the list with a parent in the (male/female) row with the id of # Yet again I cannot stress that other than the devs no one knows what the database structure is. I only assume they are using a Row Oriented database as opposed to a column base, but basically [url=https://dataschool.com/data-modeling-101/row-vs-column-oriented-databases/]either of us can be right here[/url]. [quote name="Jemadar" date="2021-06-10 08:38:17" ] Or, if that is too much trouble, just do like they used to do with permababies, and make the dragons non-exaltable/non-tradeable. The code already exists.[/quote] On a personal note I would hate for dragons to become non-tradeable / exaltable for any reason. I think perma babies should be exaltable (especially as normal babies can be.) So something like this would be a downside. [quote name="Jemadar" date="2021-06-10 08:38:17" ] I see this as being more of a simple 'display this TXT instead of that TXT' rather than having to worry about the dragon. IE, if I own Parent One with Offspring 1, 2 and 3, and you own Parent Two with those same offspring, you could name your offspring as Themes 1, 2 and 4, while mine are named Cats 3, 2, and 6. Whoever owns Offspring 1, 2 and 3 wouldn't even know about the nicknames unless they looked at the parents' listing. I wouldn't know that you have a different nickname unless i looked at Parent Two. You wouldn't know what I named them unless you looked at Parent One.[/quote] Not sure what this has to do with my post, I fully understood the concept of the suggestion and how it worked. [quote name="Jemadar" date="2021-06-10 08:38:17" ]It should be relatively simple to force the parent page to override the actual name and add the nickname instead. I could see this as getting potentially unwieldy for dragons that have literal hundreds of offspring lists, but I don't really think it would be that complicated or cause a lot of lag either. [/quote] I am also not talking about giant complex lag and did not mention lag at all in my original post. Considering what I assume the database is like, and the amount of dragons that exist, I did not assume that lag would be an issue, especially as it is two more columns being added (but if there's a possibility that a dragon with 1000 offspring might lag the game then this suggestion is 100% off the table for me. These sort of things have to be scalable. Yet again, flight rising seems very nice and scalable) I have not even stated that it is impossible or a task that cannot be done. (In fact I stated it can be done.) Just that it seems annoying and unnecessary (both of these purely opinions.) When there's a ton other QoL I would prefer that would (as a guess) be easier to put in. Like actually being able to hide offspring list. (That being said when staff tried to add a hide offspring list feature it caused so much lag they had to remove it right away. I wonder what caused that issue? I don't believe they ever said.)
Something I forgot to post in my first post was
Both you and me do not know what FR's database looks like. I can only guess from my own experience in working with backend databases as to how it works, but I don't know how their database is structured truly (none of us do, or I at least hope none of us do) we can only guess from what we see on the front end (which can be deceiving.)

So both take this with a spoonful of salt, as well as consider this more toward the devs. As there's little for the users to discuss on that matter. I don't typically comment in the suggestion forum for discussion as devs have last call in the end.

My apologies for forgetting to post that. I usually make that more clear when I speak on my own personal knowledge of working on databases that there is no one way to do it and what I'm suggesting might be the world's most horrible plan or right on the money.

Jemadar wrote on 2021-06-10 08:38:17:
I am not sure why it would have to be that complicated.

It would just have to be like the famliars, where the name sticks with the account.

Dragons are not like familiars. If you sell a familiar and buy another one of the same type, the game doesn't consider this a new familiar, it considers it the same one.

Just add a new field to the offspring database: Offspring Name; Displayed name.

It doesn't, and shouldn't, affect the offspring at all, and it should be relatively easy to just go through and if a dragon is sold/traded/exalted, wipe out 'nicknames.txt' or however those nicknames are stored.

I would hope that dragon offspring lists aren't stored within a bunch of columns in a database attached to the parent. That's just asking for lag. If offsprings are stored like that then we got more problems than nicknames.

I assume that when you land on the parent page it just looks for "dragons from the list with a parent in the (male/female) row with the id of #

Yet again I cannot stress that other than the devs no one knows what the database structure is. I only assume they are using a Row Oriented database as opposed to a column base, but basically either of us can be right here.
Or, if that is too much trouble, just do like they used to do with permababies, and make the dragons non-exaltable/non-tradeable. The code already exists.

On a personal note I would hate for dragons to become non-tradeable / exaltable for any reason. I think perma babies should be exaltable (especially as normal babies can be.) So something like this would be a downside.
I see this as being more of a simple 'display this TXT instead of that TXT' rather than having to worry about the dragon.

IE, if I own Parent One with Offspring 1, 2 and 3, and you own Parent Two with those same offspring, you could name your offspring as Themes 1, 2 and 4, while mine are named Cats 3, 2, and 6. Whoever owns Offspring 1, 2 and 3 wouldn't even know about the nicknames unless they looked at the parents' listing.

I wouldn't know that you have a different nickname unless i looked at Parent Two. You wouldn't know what I named them unless you looked at Parent One.

Not sure what this has to do with my post, I fully understood the concept of the suggestion and how it worked.
It should be relatively simple to force the parent page to override the actual name and add the nickname instead.

I could see this as getting potentially unwieldy for dragons that have literal hundreds of offspring lists, but I don't really think it would be that complicated or cause a lot of lag either.

I am also not talking about giant complex lag and did not mention lag at all in my original post. Considering what I assume the database is like, and the amount of dragons that exist, I did not assume that lag would be an issue, especially as it is two more columns being added (but if there's a possibility that a dragon with 1000 offspring might lag the game then this suggestion is 100% off the table for me. These sort of things have to be scalable. Yet again, flight rising seems very nice and scalable)

I have not even stated that it is impossible or a task that cannot be done. (In fact I stated it can be done.) Just that it seems annoying and unnecessary (both of these purely opinions.)

When there's a ton other QoL I would prefer that would (as a guess) be easier to put in. Like actually being able to hide offspring list.

(That being said when staff tried to add a hide offspring list feature it caused so much lag they had to remove it right away. I wonder what caused that issue? I don't believe they ever said.)
No support whatsoever

FR already has an official solution for this problem that is fast & easy & requires NO coding at all.

Name your offspring before selling or exalting, or don’t sell/exalt them, period. Don’t buy adult dragons with badly named/unnamed parents and/or offspring.

I do not understand why ANYONE thinks that having FR spend it’s time/money/energy coding a complicated, confusing “workaround” for a non-problem is a more reasonable solution than taking the personal initiative to NAME YOUR DRAGONS.
No support whatsoever

FR already has an official solution for this problem that is fast & easy & requires NO coding at all.

Name your offspring before selling or exalting, or don’t sell/exalt them, period. Don’t buy adult dragons with badly named/unnamed parents and/or offspring.

I do not understand why ANYONE thinks that having FR spend it’s time/money/energy coding a complicated, confusing “workaround” for a non-problem is a more reasonable solution than taking the personal initiative to NAME YOUR DRAGONS.
Dappervolk ID #27689
Rbf96Oh.gifCuK85yM.pngtRNevRC.gif
I've seen a very similar suggestion shot down before. Kind of surprised to see it so popular this time around, but times change and attitudes shift I suppose.

Anyhow, I wouldn't be upset if they added this, but I honestly wish people would just get over the naming thing instead. Adding a new system just to appease people who can't name their dragons seems a bit much to me...but again, if they decided to add it, I wouldn't be upset either. Neutral.
I've seen a very similar suggestion shot down before. Kind of surprised to see it so popular this time around, but times change and attitudes shift I suppose.

Anyhow, I wouldn't be upset if they added this, but I honestly wish people would just get over the naming thing instead. Adding a new system just to appease people who can't name their dragons seems a bit much to me...but again, if they decided to add it, I wouldn't be upset either. Neutral.
Lore shop closed for good :(
@BlueDragon819
The majority of the ones I have seen were 'let me actually name the dragon in question' rather than 'let me give the dragon a nickname that would only show up in my dragon's profile'

For me, this is about more than just unnamed. There have been people who have had dragons bought and renamed to names they don't like.

I have some fodder dragons where I name the parents after various states and the hatchlings are the cities in that state starting with the capital and going down various lists.

When I sell these, if someone decides that the dragon is what they are looking for, they will probably want to rename the dragon, which would mess up my offspring lists.

Something like this would allow me to simply nickname the dragon should that happen and go on with my life.
@BlueDragon819
The majority of the ones I have seen were 'let me actually name the dragon in question' rather than 'let me give the dragon a nickname that would only show up in my dragon's profile'

For me, this is about more than just unnamed. There have been people who have had dragons bought and renamed to names they don't like.

I have some fodder dragons where I name the parents after various states and the hatchlings are the cities in that state starting with the capital and going down various lists.

When I sell these, if someone decides that the dragon is what they are looking for, they will probably want to rename the dragon, which would mess up my offspring lists.

Something like this would allow me to simply nickname the dragon should that happen and go on with my life.

#UnnamedIsValid
Let them Fight
Let them Exist in peace!
Dragons needed --->
58610356.png

14318365.png
Why can’t you just ignore what other people name their own dragons and go on with your life? That’s the part I don’t understand.
Why can’t you just ignore what other people name their own dragons and go on with your life? That’s the part I don’t understand.
Dappervolk ID #27689
Rbf96Oh.gifCuK85yM.pngtRNevRC.gif
1 2 ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22