Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Change Unnamed in YOUR dragon's profile
1 2 ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22
[quote name="Haven" date="2023-03-11 21:17:56" ] [quote date="2023-03-08 20:46:47" ] [quote date="2023-03-08 18:51:10" ] My issue with this is that anytime someone suggests having comments on dragon profiles people say no because mods wont be able to moderate every dragon profile for harassment or harmful content. The same can be said for nicknames. If someone doesnt like the person who bought one of their offspring nothing stops them from being like "TrashOwner" in their nicknames. Or what if it was a trans person who has a fallout with a friend and that friend renames all their offspring to the trans person's deadnane. I know it's a specific example, but I'm more trying to point out how far this can go to affect a real person far more than having a poor aesthetically nsmed dragon would. And it isnt like you can report someone naming offspring "Jim" or anything like that. How would this be moderated in any meaningful way? I would only support this if it was for exalted dragons since that isnt tied to anyone but the parent and the offspring. It wouldnt be as easy to be attached to a particular person . [/quote] They could always tie it to the regular name rules, so that you couldn't name a dragon anything that was banned. Beyond that, something like you mentioned can already be done and be far more visible to the person in question, by buying the offspring and naming them that name. Which could then be reported for harassment. Beyond even that, I lean towards this being visible to no one but the owner of the dragon, which means it doesn't matter what the nickname is, because only the owner can see it. If they share a screen with a banned/bad name, then they can be reported (naturally admins could see those names) I also personally think that there is far more opportunity for harassment with being able to comment on 600+ dragon pages than there would be of nicknaming a dragon (or even as many as possible) in hopes that a specific person will look at the dragon (which doesn't belong to them, and no notification that the dragon that DOES belong to them has been given a nickname would be sent out) and see the name and realize that the dragon is theirs (obviously if there are three dragons it is much easier than if there are 100) (that also isn't the main reason I am against dragon comments) [/quote] I would argue that nicknames as suggested originally are far more nefarious BECAUSE they can go under the radar. Someone can still feel like they've done something and not immediately risk getting caught and banned. I agree that any nicknames should only be visible to the owner. I honestly dont see why people would care about whether or not Unnamed is in someone else's offspring list, I've only seen it matter in terms of buying that dragon for yourself. [/quote] Honestly, while I agree that it can be more nefarious, I feel like at that point it is just one of those things. If it is something that the person has to go out of their way to share, IE these nicknames aren't visible to anyone but the owner of the dragon, then I don't really see how it can hurt anyone else. Other people won't have any idea that this person has nicknamed their dragons disparaging things. And, once the nicknames are shared and a dragon/user is attached, then they can be reported. And again, it can also be tied to the naming rules, so the most obvious slurs and insults cannot be used for nicknames just like they can't be used for regular names.
Haven wrote on 2023-03-11 21:17:56:
Quote:
Quote:
My issue with this is that anytime someone suggests having comments on dragon profiles people say no because mods wont be able to moderate every dragon profile for harassment or harmful content. The same can be said for nicknames. If someone doesnt like the person who bought one of their offspring nothing stops them from being like "TrashOwner" in their nicknames. Or what if it was a trans person who has a fallout with a friend and that friend renames all their offspring to the trans person's deadnane. I know it's a specific example, but I'm more trying to point out how far this can go to affect a real person far more than having a poor aesthetically nsmed dragon would. And it isnt like you can report someone naming offspring "Jim" or anything like that. How would this be moderated in any meaningful way?

I would only support this if it was for exalted dragons since that isnt tied to anyone but the parent and the offspring. It wouldnt be as easy to be attached to a particular person .
They could always tie it to the regular name rules, so that you couldn't name a dragon anything that was banned.

Beyond that, something like you mentioned can already be done and be far more visible to the person in question, by buying the offspring and naming them that name.

Which could then be reported for harassment.

Beyond even that, I lean towards this being visible to no one but the owner of the dragon, which means it doesn't matter what the nickname is, because only the owner can see it. If they share a screen with a banned/bad name, then they can be reported (naturally admins could see those names)

I also personally think that there is far more opportunity for harassment with being able to comment on 600+ dragon pages than there would be of nicknaming a dragon (or even as many as possible) in hopes that a specific person will look at the dragon (which doesn't belong to them, and no notification that the dragon that DOES belong to them has been given a nickname would be sent out) and see the name and realize that the dragon is theirs (obviously if there are three dragons it is much easier than if there are 100) (that also isn't the main reason I am against dragon comments)

I would argue that nicknames as suggested originally are far more nefarious BECAUSE they can go under the radar. Someone can still feel like they've done something and not immediately risk getting caught and banned.

I agree that any nicknames should only be visible to the owner. I honestly dont see why people would care about whether or not Unnamed is in someone else's offspring list, I've only seen it matter in terms of buying that dragon for yourself.
Honestly, while I agree that it can be more nefarious, I feel like at that point it is just one of those things. If it is something that the person has to go out of their way to share, IE these nicknames aren't visible to anyone but the owner of the dragon, then I don't really see how it can hurt anyone else. Other people won't have any idea that this person has nicknamed their dragons disparaging things.

And, once the nicknames are shared and a dragon/user is attached, then they can be reported.

And again, it can also be tied to the naming rules, so the most obvious slurs and insults cannot be used for nicknames just like they can't be used for regular names.

#UnnamedIsValid
Let them Fight
Let them Serve the Deities
Let them Exist in peace!
Dragons needed --->
58610356.png
Breed Characteristic Apparel!

Cuckoo Breed and Mutations!

Change Unnamed in YOUR dragon's profile!
14318365.png
[quote]Honestly, while I agree that it can be more nefarious, I feel like at that point it is just one of those things. If it is something that the person has to go out of their way to share, IE these nicknames aren't visible to anyone but the owner of the dragon, then I don't really see how it can hurt anyone else. Other people won't have any idea that this person has nicknamed their dragons disparaging thing[/quote] I think there was a miscomunication somewhere. My issue is with what OP was wanting, for the names to be visible to everyone. If they werent visible to everyone and only the user nicknaming then that's fine.
Quote:
Honestly, while I agree that it can be more nefarious, I feel like at that point it is just one of those things. If it is something that the person has to go out of their way to share, IE these nicknames aren't visible to anyone but the owner of the dragon, then I don't really see how it can hurt anyone else. Other people won't have any idea that this person has nicknamed their dragons disparaging thing

I think there was a miscomunication somewhere. My issue is with what OP was wanting, for the names to be visible to everyone. If they werent visible to everyone and only the user nicknaming then that's fine.
[quote name="Haven" date="2023-03-12 09:08:07" ] [quote]Honestly, while I agree that it can be more nefarious, I feel like at that point it is just one of those things. If it is something that the person has to go out of their way to share, IE these nicknames aren't visible to anyone but the owner of the dragon, then I don't really see how it can hurt anyone else. Other people won't have any idea that this person has nicknamed their dragons disparaging thing[/quote] I think there was a miscomunication somewhere. My issue is with what OP was wanting, for the names to be visible to everyone. If they werent visible to everyone and only the user nicknaming then that's fine. [/quote] Ah, okay, Yeah, it has been a while since I read the OP, and I honestly was always iffy on the names being visible to everyone.
Haven wrote on 2023-03-12 09:08:07:
Quote:
Honestly, while I agree that it can be more nefarious, I feel like at that point it is just one of those things. If it is something that the person has to go out of their way to share, IE these nicknames aren't visible to anyone but the owner of the dragon, then I don't really see how it can hurt anyone else. Other people won't have any idea that this person has nicknamed their dragons disparaging thing

I think there was a miscomunication somewhere. My issue is with what OP was wanting, for the names to be visible to everyone. If they werent visible to everyone and only the user nicknaming then that's fine.
Ah, okay, Yeah, it has been a while since I read the OP, and I honestly was always iffy on the names being visible to everyone.

#UnnamedIsValid
Let them Fight
Let them Serve the Deities
Let them Exist in peace!
Dragons needed --->
58610356.png
Breed Characteristic Apparel!

Cuckoo Breed and Mutations!

Change Unnamed in YOUR dragon's profile!
14318365.png
1 2 ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22