Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Commas in large numbers
1 2 3 4 5 6
[quote name="Pilotslover" date="2015-12-15 02:36:08" ] Support. I would prefer it to be commas since that's what I was brought up with and I would love if FR would let us chose how we wanted to display large numbers. To me 1,000,000 is easier to read than 1000000 or 1 000 000 (since numbers with spaces in tend to be phone numbers here). [/quote] I tend to read numbers with spaces as separate numbers, not one large number, so if we can only get one, I support commas, but would prefer to be able to choose which separator I use.
Pilotslover wrote on 2015-12-15 02:36:08:
Support.

I would prefer it to be commas since that's what I was brought up with and I would love if FR would let us chose how we wanted to display large numbers.

To me 1,000,000 is easier to read than 1000000 or 1 000 000 (since numbers with spaces in tend to be phone numbers here).
I tend to read numbers with spaces as separate numbers, not one large number, so if we can only get one, I support commas, but would prefer to be able to choose which separator I use.

#UnnamedIsValid
Let them Fight
Let them Serve the Deities
Let them Exist in peace!
Dragons needed --->
58610356.png
Breed Characteristic Apparel!

Cuckoo Breed and Mutations!

Change Unnamed in YOUR dragon's profile!
14318365.png
Support as this is absolutely an accessibility issue. Treasure numbers get real big real fast. I am not very good of sight, and though I can get by most of the time with the text size FR chooses, large numbers trick my eyes up waaaaay too much. The site should be optimally accessible to as many people as possible imo.
Support as this is absolutely an accessibility issue. Treasure numbers get real big real fast. I am not very good of sight, and though I can get by most of the time with the text size FR chooses, large numbers trick my eyes up waaaaay too much. The site should be optimally accessible to as many people as possible imo.
skydancer_done.png
I would love this! For me, it's hard to see the numbers unless I lean closer t the screen. Commas would help a lot.
I would love this! For me, it's hard to see the numbers unless I lean closer t the screen. Commas would help a lot.
z9wN9td.png
They/Them, 20,
FR time +3 hours
Yes please, this would be so helpful! Commas would be great, the spaces could possibly be read as separate numbers so that could get more confusing.
Yes please, this would be so helpful! Commas would be great, the spaces could possibly be read as separate numbers so that could get more confusing.
Please don't put in commas. Small spaces would be fine.

Why no commas you ask?
Primarily, for those users who may be copying values into a spreadsheet or something like that and don't want to deal with removing commas.
Personally, because commas in numbers aren't used in the scientific community since they can be mistaken for a decimal place, and I think the world is moving toward this choice in general. Let's not go backwards.

Why no commas you ask?
Primarily, for those users who may be copying values into a spreadsheet or something like that and don't want to deal with removing commas.
Personally, because commas in numbers aren't used in the scientific community since they can be mistaken for a decimal place, and I think the world is moving toward this choice in general. Let's not go backwards.
13590084.png

Our ancient forests need protecting.
They are worth more standing.
[quote name="jolieke04" date="2020-06-19 14:22:01" ] Support as this is absolutely an accessibility issue. Treasure numbers get real big real fast. I am not very good of sight, and though I can get by most of the time with the text size FR chooses, large numbers trick my eyes up waaaaay too much. The site should be optimally accessible to as many people as possible imo. [/quote] @jolieke04 and others ctrl+scroll wheel lets you zoom in/out very easily in your browser window. If you think text is too small just set it one or two sizes bigger.
jolieke04 wrote on 2020-06-19 14:22:01:

@jolieke04 and others
ctrl+scroll wheel lets you zoom in/out very easily in your browser window. If you think text is too small just set it one or two sizes bigger.
13590084.png

Our ancient forests need protecting.
They are worth more standing.
I would support a toggle.
I would support a toggle.
[quote name="yellowcello" date="2020-06-19 17:05:31" ] Please don't put in commas. Small spaces would be fine. Why no commas you ask? Primarily, for those users who may be copying values into a spreadsheet or something like that and don't want to deal with removing commas. Personally, because commas in numbers aren't used in the scientific community since they can be mistaken for a decimal place, and I think the world is moving toward this choice in general. Let's not go backwards. [/quote] Spaces wouldn't help me, my brain just doesn't register them very easily, 100 000 is harder for me to read than 100,000 How about a toggle?
yellowcello wrote on 2020-06-19 17:05:31:

Why no commas you ask?
Spaces wouldn't help me, my brain just doesn't register them very easily, 100 000 is harder for me to read than 100,000
How about a toggle?
  • lapis
  • it/he
  • FR+0
shadow_transbling_by_cicide76536-dciuarc.gif
05e7cb9445ff87030b283d8e5db40be5276d4c0c.gif
@yellowcello
For the spreadsheet part, I actually have a solution for that! Using Google Sheets, click on a cell, click on the number format button (the 123 in the top bar), and make a custom number format under More Formats. If you set the custom format to ###0, it will return numbers without commas, eg 1000 instead of 1,000. You can also insert spaces by doing ### 0. Once the format has been created, you can just apply it to the cells you don't want commas in.
@yellowcello
For the spreadsheet part, I actually have a solution for that! Using Google Sheets, click on a cell, click on the number format button (the 123 in the top bar), and make a custom number format under More Formats. If you set the custom format to ###0, it will return numbers without commas, eg 1000 instead of 1,000. You can also insert spaces by doing ### 0. Once the format has been created, you can just apply it to the cells you don't want commas in.
Lz0bQAz.gif hatchery
training service
free money
lf xxx overcast g1
he/him or ae/aer only please.
psa: messages in cancelled CRs aren't viewable!
Support. When something has a lot of zeros but no separators, I do tend to get confused. I have to check multiple times by placing my mouse in between sets of three numbers to make sure I have it right.
Support. When something has a lot of zeros but no separators, I do tend to get confused. I have to check multiple times by placing my mouse in between sets of three numbers to make sure I have it right.
55871_s.gif
PDuDspB.png
JvUa9ma.png
FObX7rS.png
mjtJ868.png
tyEuRXe.png
1 2 3 4 5 6