Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Get rid of the MVP Vista
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=mb&board=sug&id=1330278&page=1 After reading through this thread which gets into more discussion about problems with the MVP concept, I too am inclined to want it gone entirely.
http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=mb&board=sug&id=1330278&page=1 After reading through this thread which gets into more discussion about problems with the MVP concept, I too am inclined to want it gone entirely.
Pings are disabled.

If writers are supposed to "show not tell," why are we called "storytellers" and not "storyshow-ers"?
Honestly I think it shouldn't be implemented at all. It's a cute idea and it has the best intentions, but there's too many things that'd go wrong with it.
Honestly I think it shouldn't be implemented at all. It's a cute idea and it has the best intentions, but there's too many things that'd go wrong with it.
NN9NPXA.png
Tl1dGxE.png
rfNTdyQ.png
jt3PpxV.png YmkjgGR.gif
@Rhea

Oh no, I don't mind a bit. I think removal could be a good idea as well. I think the BEST idea I've seen so far honestly is to just change the name of the award so it doesn't sound competitive.
@Rhea

Oh no, I don't mind a bit. I think removal could be a good idea as well. I think the BEST idea I've seen so far honestly is to just change the name of the award so it doesn't sound competitive.
wY86E88.gif
@Lusitania Good to know, thanks :)
@Lusitania Good to know, thanks :)
Selling old UMAs/giveaway
Giving away everything
G2 imperial giveaway
progress-rainbow-rainbow-garter-blm.png
Yes, I think the problem I have with it is that it is a top down approach to bestowing favor.

It is the admins pointing out examples to the community, 'this person is someone you should emulate." as opposed to the community driven karma system approach where the community points out users that they feel are making valuable contributions as whole.

In a small community the top down approach can work because most folks know one another or have a sense of each other, but when the community gets larger they lose that familiarity and users highlighted by the admins can seem random due to subjectivity. In a large community I find it unlikely that the admins will be able to avoid simply highlighting players who are already the most visible.

If a user is highlighted because they have acquired so many karma/honor points given by the community then there is at least a level of objective goodness that had to happen as given by the community as opposed to a vague and subjective selection process that gives a very desired/visible award.
Yes, I think the problem I have with it is that it is a top down approach to bestowing favor.

It is the admins pointing out examples to the community, 'this person is someone you should emulate." as opposed to the community driven karma system approach where the community points out users that they feel are making valuable contributions as whole.

In a small community the top down approach can work because most folks know one another or have a sense of each other, but when the community gets larger they lose that familiarity and users highlighted by the admins can seem random due to subjectivity. In a large community I find it unlikely that the admins will be able to avoid simply highlighting players who are already the most visible.

If a user is highlighted because they have acquired so many karma/honor points given by the community then there is at least a level of objective goodness that had to happen as given by the community as opposed to a vague and subjective selection process that gives a very desired/visible award.
tumblr_inline_nk71ax46vd1qg2i5p.png
Flag by osiem
Support, for many of the reasons stated above.

In a world where simple vistas were common, the MVP vista wouldn't bother me one bit. As it is now vistas in general are considered a huge commodity, so I can see there being a lot of fighting over who deserves one vs who wants one etc etc.

Not to mention as someone with low social cognition and an apparent inability to understand vague instructions/parameters, it's a little frustrating that there's going to be this big shiny new thing awarded to players based on something I have very little comprehension of :o

Like... I don't expect to get one, nor do I mind not getting one, but it's always a little irksome to me when the parameters for a reward or penalty are based on subjective social... stuff. I suppose that's more of a personal pet peeve than anything else, though.
Support, for many of the reasons stated above.

In a world where simple vistas were common, the MVP vista wouldn't bother me one bit. As it is now vistas in general are considered a huge commodity, so I can see there being a lot of fighting over who deserves one vs who wants one etc etc.

Not to mention as someone with low social cognition and an apparent inability to understand vague instructions/parameters, it's a little frustrating that there's going to be this big shiny new thing awarded to players based on something I have very little comprehension of :o

Like... I don't expect to get one, nor do I mind not getting one, but it's always a little irksome to me when the parameters for a reward or penalty are based on subjective social... stuff. I suppose that's more of a personal pet peeve than anything else, though.
It's something that admin will probably stay on top of for a month, check less and less frequently for 3 months, and then forget about entirely so that new members end up feeling left out and secluded. And if we won't retire items for that reason then we shouldn't really have a gold star system that's just going to fall into disarray.
It's something that admin will probably stay on top of for a month, check less and less frequently for 3 months, and then forget about entirely so that new members end up feeling left out and secluded. And if we won't retire items for that reason then we shouldn't really have a gold star system that's just going to fall into disarray.
I've been gone a while
I was indifferent before but after reading this thread I do agree it'd be better to not have MVPs.

The MVP idea is well-intentioned but I just see too many issues and it certainly can turn into a popularity thing... There are so many kind and hard-working players that may not be chosen due to the simple fact they aren't well-known enough and that's a shame.

There are just so many ways to implement new vistas, one way is through achievements... Achievements that can be challenging and/or time consuming so they're still meaningful, but anyone can obtain them in time. For example, exalt 1,000 dragons and get a unique vista, collect x amount of money, hatch x amount of nests, kill x amount of enemies in the coliseum, etc.

A karma system sounds nice, too.
I was indifferent before but after reading this thread I do agree it'd be better to not have MVPs.

The MVP idea is well-intentioned but I just see too many issues and it certainly can turn into a popularity thing... There are so many kind and hard-working players that may not be chosen due to the simple fact they aren't well-known enough and that's a shame.

There are just so many ways to implement new vistas, one way is through achievements... Achievements that can be challenging and/or time consuming so they're still meaningful, but anyone can obtain them in time. For example, exalt 1,000 dragons and get a unique vista, collect x amount of money, hatch x amount of nests, kill x amount of enemies in the coliseum, etc.

A karma system sounds nice, too.
Looking to purchase a Bone fiend or Cog frog! - On hold
Cog Frog Bone Fiend
I usually just lurk on these threads with a quiet hurrah because of the good ideas and not myself knowing what to say about it, but I agree whole-heartedly with either removing the MVP feature or altering it heavily. So many good points here I'd take up the whole page quoting them!

I haven't been on forums long so I haven't been able to see this kind of thing at work, but there's so many above that I agree with; there's many better things I think the admins could be putting time into, without threats of favoritism (we've seen their reply habits to be negligent of many topics the community cares about over lesser subjects) and the whole shebang that goes with naming out a subjective 'best person' for some quality every so often.

I'd probably feel a lot better about it if the "Is constructive criticism about staff allowed?" and "Player Interactions & Forum Behavior" sections hadn't come before it. In that context I find it comes with some implications I don't like, and the urge to not discuss problems one might find with fellow people who are able to notice them (ie: people who go on the forums) seems pretty skeevy. Since it probably won't be taken down, I'll be interested to see how often people who are helpful in the community but critical of admin behavior would be awarded MVP status.

Thanks for another likely fantastic thread, Rhea. Let's see how long it stays up :/
I usually just lurk on these threads with a quiet hurrah because of the good ideas and not myself knowing what to say about it, but I agree whole-heartedly with either removing the MVP feature or altering it heavily. So many good points here I'd take up the whole page quoting them!

I haven't been on forums long so I haven't been able to see this kind of thing at work, but there's so many above that I agree with; there's many better things I think the admins could be putting time into, without threats of favoritism (we've seen their reply habits to be negligent of many topics the community cares about over lesser subjects) and the whole shebang that goes with naming out a subjective 'best person' for some quality every so often.

I'd probably feel a lot better about it if the "Is constructive criticism about staff allowed?" and "Player Interactions & Forum Behavior" sections hadn't come before it. In that context I find it comes with some implications I don't like, and the urge to not discuss problems one might find with fellow people who are able to notice them (ie: people who go on the forums) seems pretty skeevy. Since it probably won't be taken down, I'll be interested to see how often people who are helpful in the community but critical of admin behavior would be awarded MVP status.

Thanks for another likely fantastic thread, Rhea. Let's see how long it stays up :/
Admin favoritism, consequently getting people to be butt-kissers to get it, too much elitism with people feeling they're better for getting the vista. It's an all around bad idea.

With only KS backers and artist/writer winners vistas are too much of an elitism as it is. There needs to be some more common ones. Maybe purchased with gems, those that rank on the coli leaderboard, dom winners, anything. Vistas are not very big and I don't see why we can't get more rolled out.
Admin favoritism, consequently getting people to be butt-kissers to get it, too much elitism with people feeling they're better for getting the vista. It's an all around bad idea.

With only KS backers and artist/writer winners vistas are too much of an elitism as it is. There needs to be some more common ones. Maybe purchased with gems, those that rank on the coli leaderboard, dom winners, anything. Vistas are not very big and I don't see why we can't get more rolled out.
tumblr_ngnjgvFzfC1scuu34o1_500.png]
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10