Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Get rid of the MVP Vista
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
[quote name="Psychoticis" date="2015-01-27 20:02:08"]I think it should be kept, but it should be awarded to everyone who has not done anything against the ToS so far.[/quote] This is pretty much my stance on the matter. I'm one of those people that hope the admins know what they are doing, even if I strongly question it sometimes, but the MVP to me is something to be given to players that constantly help in the Help Center and assist new players and all that, as well as having clean records. Not just people that "act super sweet in the forums and automatically get it". I also think it should be easy to take away, especially if a member with it breaks a rule or gets reported for something serious (not having an MVP or something. I have a feeling most people will feel like anyone with the MVP would be talking down on them and then bully the user, but in all honesty, that's the bully's fault.) It shouldn't cause more drama than there already is, but I hope if there is more drama with them the admins will know what steps to take to ease it away. I think it serves as a way to recognize players you can ask questions or count on to help you with something - and not send you away because they don't have time. That's what I personally think it is going to be used for. Not admin favoritism, even though I know most will think that.
Psychoticis wrote on 2015-01-27 20:02:08:
I think it should be kept, but it should be awarded to everyone who has not done anything against the ToS so far.

This is pretty much my stance on the matter.

I'm one of those people that hope the admins know what they are doing, even if I strongly question it sometimes, but the MVP to me is something to be given to players that constantly help in the Help Center and assist new players and all that, as well as having clean records. Not just people that "act super sweet in the forums and automatically get it".
I also think it should be easy to take away, especially if a member with it breaks a rule or gets reported for something serious (not having an MVP or something. I have a feeling most people will feel like anyone with the MVP would be talking down on them and then bully the user, but in all honesty, that's the bully's fault.) It shouldn't cause more drama than there already is, but I hope if there is more drama with them the admins will know what steps to take to ease it away.

I think it serves as a way to recognize players you can ask questions or count on to help you with something - and not send you away because they don't have time. That's what I personally think it is going to be used for. Not admin favoritism, even though I know most will think that.
No support. The MVP should stay to be awarded to members as described in the announcement and I see no problem with that. Anyone worried about not getting it should maybe examine their past actions and try to learn from them
No support. The MVP should stay to be awarded to members as described in the announcement and I see no problem with that. Anyone worried about not getting it should maybe examine their past actions and try to learn from them
water-banner-3_zpspqe7dfz3.gif

Well-behaved women seldom make history - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
End corruption now
@Kurami kickstarter backers have a special set. it would be nice for regular users to have some vistas too, but not like this. I don't like the MVP vista just because it seems like a ploy to increase butt-kissing, especially when its announced right after massive complaints about the december event. i agree with previous comments there could be some resentment/ accusations of players who earn these vistas as butt-kissers, suck ups, favorites etc etc...
@Kurami kickstarter backers have a special set. it would be nice for regular users to have some vistas too, but not like this. I don't like the MVP vista just because it seems like a ploy to increase butt-kissing, especially when its announced right after massive complaints about the december event. i agree with previous comments there could be some resentment/ accusations of players who earn these vistas as butt-kissers, suck ups, favorites etc etc...
my_flight_rising_forum_signature_by_theparasiticbandaid-d6ajsgz.png
No support; I think it is good to recognize people who contribute above and beyond others to the community.

Drama consequences, pffft, drama over a decoration is absurd and should be treated as such.
No support; I think it is good to recognize people who contribute above and beyond others to the community.

Drama consequences, pffft, drama over a decoration is absurd and should be treated as such.
177499lightofknowledge2.png
Is 'meh' support a thing?

Honestly, I actually like the idea of an MVP award. It seems like a good way to 'reward' users who consistently have been good role models. I do also agree that admin favouritism may come into play, and buttkissing could be a problem. I mean, we definitely know people who almost certainly won't get the award (you know who), and that's okay (?) I guess. We're all human, and I honestly don't think there's a way for a human to be totally, completely impartial and objective.

I think the problem lies in the naming, and the availability of vistas in general. Most Valued Player, while in the context of a mass multiplayer game whose demographic is eleven year olds, sounds fine. But on a website where a large percentage of gameplay is forum interaction on a person-to-person basis, being told that a person 'more valuable' than you (albeit subliminally) can be rather off-putting and vaguely obnoxious. So I think a solution could be renaming the vista. I don't really have suggestions, but this thread has plenty.

Secondly, I wholly agree that if vistas were more easily obtainable, that would get rid of a lot of the problem. I understand that the site is still teething, but another solution I believe would help would be to put out easily obtainable vistas first. Just simple vistas with a flight background, or some kind of generic image. After we all get tired with the forums being cluttered with thousands of people using the generic vista, introduce the MVP vista.

tl; dr Meh.
Is 'meh' support a thing?

Honestly, I actually like the idea of an MVP award. It seems like a good way to 'reward' users who consistently have been good role models. I do also agree that admin favouritism may come into play, and buttkissing could be a problem. I mean, we definitely know people who almost certainly won't get the award (you know who), and that's okay (?) I guess. We're all human, and I honestly don't think there's a way for a human to be totally, completely impartial and objective.

I think the problem lies in the naming, and the availability of vistas in general. Most Valued Player, while in the context of a mass multiplayer game whose demographic is eleven year olds, sounds fine. But on a website where a large percentage of gameplay is forum interaction on a person-to-person basis, being told that a person 'more valuable' than you (albeit subliminally) can be rather off-putting and vaguely obnoxious. So I think a solution could be renaming the vista. I don't really have suggestions, but this thread has plenty.

Secondly, I wholly agree that if vistas were more easily obtainable, that would get rid of a lot of the problem. I understand that the site is still teething, but another solution I believe would help would be to put out easily obtainable vistas first. Just simple vistas with a flight background, or some kind of generic image. After we all get tired with the forums being cluttered with thousands of people using the generic vista, introduce the MVP vista.

tl; dr Meh.
LRGcw0O.gifnJTGYTQ.pngA0h640T.gif
[quote name="Kurami" date="2015-02-01 16:35:21"]I do agree with the possibility of Admins playing favorites. However I do NOT think we should be able to earn any kind of Vista. Vistas are special and only KS backers have them. What would really be the point if just any user had one?[/quote] Vistas aren't about being a status symbol which seems to be what you're implying here. They are a reward for a job well done in the case of MVP vistas which, really, is just another version of "you're the best around" achievement. Plus they're prizes for winning caption contests and I think that's nice. Aren't there also a couple other vistas? They shouldn't be exclusive just to those who were KS backers. How is it making it any less special just because non-KS backer have them? It doesn't. Again, no support for this
Kurami wrote on 2015-02-01 16:35:21:
I do agree with the possibility of Admins playing favorites.
However I do NOT think we should be able to earn any kind of Vista. Vistas are special and only KS backers have them. What would really be the point if just any user had one?

Vistas aren't about being a status symbol which seems to be what you're implying here. They are a reward for a job well done in the case of MVP vistas which, really, is just another version of "you're the best around" achievement. Plus they're prizes for winning caption contests and I think that's nice. Aren't there also a couple other vistas? They shouldn't be exclusive just to those who were KS backers. How is it making it any less special just because non-KS backer have them? It doesn't.

Again, no support for this
water-banner-3_zpspqe7dfz3.gif

Well-behaved women seldom make history - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
End corruption now
I'm just "meh" with the whole subject of this MVP vista. I don't see why it has to be here, and it obviously serves little function besides "we like this user, so we're gonna give them a special vista so you know who they are"
I'm just "meh" with the whole subject of this MVP vista. I don't see why it has to be here, and it obviously serves little function besides "we like this user, so we're gonna give them a special vista so you know who they are"
🐺 ||DragonCave || Tumblr || Art shop || GMT+10 || 🐺
plague_survive_small_by_seepranne-d7epv82.gif
The idea itself isn't terrible, mean I understand some members do outstanding things and yes they deserve a reward. But I doubt this is the way to go about it. I think this wouldn;t have been such a big deal if they introduced different vista's first. Like a flight vista, or a vista for the dominating flights. Or just more ways to get a vista besides being a ks backer/beta tester or a contest winner.

But considering the fact the admins have the nasty habbit of not being crystal clear about things. Such as the december event we thought the holiday familiars would return ONCE in december but apparently the bears will come back next years december. And it does really seem to imply of being an admins pet. So guess my opinion is they should either hold it off till multiple ways of getting a vista have been introduced or don't introduce it all together

but knowing the admins they'll just go ahead and do it anyways
The idea itself isn't terrible, mean I understand some members do outstanding things and yes they deserve a reward. But I doubt this is the way to go about it. I think this wouldn;t have been such a big deal if they introduced different vista's first. Like a flight vista, or a vista for the dominating flights. Or just more ways to get a vista besides being a ks backer/beta tester or a contest winner.

But considering the fact the admins have the nasty habbit of not being crystal clear about things. Such as the december event we thought the holiday familiars would return ONCE in december but apparently the bears will come back next years december. And it does really seem to imply of being an admins pet. So guess my opinion is they should either hold it off till multiple ways of getting a vista have been introduced or don't introduce it all together

but knowing the admins they'll just go ahead and do it anyways
DVcXRyP.png
[quote name="Plague" date="2015-01-24 22:51:27"]?????? its not even out yet ??????[/quote] This, basically. I'm confused at the number of people demanding this be taken away when it hasn't even been implemented yet. With the way some people behave in this community I'd like to see some of the decent players rewarded with something nice. Let's just wait and see how things pan out instead of bringing up all these "what ifs" when they may never happen. I can, however, see the issues with the reward name...I could see changing the name to "Mentor" or something a little less glowy. I'm also under the impression that all four of the admin are very busy people, how are they going to know who's really helpful on the forums and who isn't? I don't see them taking time out of their schedule to really investigate this (and if they are, that's a horrible waste of time...they do need to hire more hands). [quote name="CountofCasualty" date="2015-01-23 13:01:19"]I think we should have different areas people are rewarded for. Honest Seller/Trader, Helpful, In-Flight Oriented(better name for that heh), etc. I'd love to see multiple people get a vista for stuff, over a few people getting one for fitting into everything, y'know?[/quote] This sounds really cool too!
Plague wrote on 2015-01-24 22:51:27:
?????? its not even out yet ??????

This, basically. I'm confused at the number of people demanding this be taken away when it hasn't even been implemented yet. With the way some people behave in this community I'd like to see some of the decent players rewarded with something nice. Let's just wait and see how things pan out instead of bringing up all these "what ifs" when they may never happen.

I can, however, see the issues with the reward name...I could see changing the name to "Mentor" or something a little less glowy. I'm also under the impression that all four of the admin are very busy people, how are they going to know who's really helpful on the forums and who isn't? I don't see them taking time out of their schedule to really investigate this (and if they are, that's a horrible waste of time...they do need to hire more hands).
CountofCasualty wrote on 2015-01-23 13:01:19:
I think we should have different areas people are rewarded for. Honest Seller/Trader, Helpful, In-Flight Oriented(better name for that heh), etc. I'd love to see multiple people get a vista for stuff, over a few people getting one for fitting into everything, y'know?

This sounds really cool too!
plaguebringer_banner_by_eyenoom-d6kkk4e.png
No support - the people who currently have Vistas are all people who have made a positive contribution to the site, be it through art/writing/creativity or supporting the Kickstarter to get FR off the ground.

It would make sense for there to be continual opportunities for people to better the site and continual opportunities to get rewarded for it. Being a pleasant, upstanding pillar of the community is a great way to help out, especially with more and more newbies coming in every window, and would give people an incentive to try and help out - especially the people who aren't lucky with the skin contests and weren't around/didn't have enough money for the Kickstarter.

Honestly, the only reason I can see people having a problem with this is the people who know they've already messed up too much to get one, or they worry that the wrong people might get awarded them on favouritism. The first point is pretty much moot since people who don't win skin submissions would never get handed a artist vista either. The second point is a fair one, but since the MVP vista hasn't even been implemented yet, we have no way to see how it would pan out. I would suggest bringing up this issue again if it could be suggested that the admins are playing favourites and not giving it to those deserving it - which will probably not happen anyway, but it is in the future so don't dwell on it too much yet.
No support - the people who currently have Vistas are all people who have made a positive contribution to the site, be it through art/writing/creativity or supporting the Kickstarter to get FR off the ground.

It would make sense for there to be continual opportunities for people to better the site and continual opportunities to get rewarded for it. Being a pleasant, upstanding pillar of the community is a great way to help out, especially with more and more newbies coming in every window, and would give people an incentive to try and help out - especially the people who aren't lucky with the skin contests and weren't around/didn't have enough money for the Kickstarter.

Honestly, the only reason I can see people having a problem with this is the people who know they've already messed up too much to get one, or they worry that the wrong people might get awarded them on favouritism. The first point is pretty much moot since people who don't win skin submissions would never get handed a artist vista either. The second point is a fair one, but since the MVP vista hasn't even been implemented yet, we have no way to see how it would pan out. I would suggest bringing up this issue again if it could be suggested that the admins are playing favourites and not giving it to those deserving it - which will probably not happen anyway, but it is in the future so don't dwell on it too much yet.
Calathea-elderflower.png
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10