Back

Roleplay

Tell stories and roleplay in the world of Flight Rising.
TOPIC | [One Slot!] Wild West Fantasy
1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Hey again! Glad to hear you're still kicking!
  • I would be fine with character death being a possibility, though I've never had that happen to a character. Although I've played dnd before where that was a possibility. I'm fine with whatever the group decides.
  • I'm pretty much fine with whatever themes. Explicit mentions are fine with me too, though I'd prefer not to actively participate, yknow?
  • I think seeing some bits about characters that exist within the world would be great to get a better feel for it, especially as we make our own characters!
  • Yea I don't see anything wrong with having spectators!
  • (RidgeButch's suggestion sounds cool!) I'm fine with whatever you and the others decide. Like I mentioned before, I'm new to it all and am open to probably try anything but not experienced enough to suggest.
Hey again! Glad to hear you're still kicking!
  • I would be fine with character death being a possibility, though I've never had that happen to a character. Although I've played dnd before where that was a possibility. I'm fine with whatever the group decides.
  • I'm pretty much fine with whatever themes. Explicit mentions are fine with me too, though I'd prefer not to actively participate, yknow?
  • I think seeing some bits about characters that exist within the world would be great to get a better feel for it, especially as we make our own characters!
  • Yea I don't see anything wrong with having spectators!
  • (RidgeButch's suggestion sounds cool!) I'm fine with whatever you and the others decide. Like I mentioned before, I'm new to it all and am open to probably try anything but not experienced enough to suggest.
d6Bpz8P.pngCx0Sdv8.pngzWgdxzn.png5cC87Ar.png5Pvzltj.pngvAUMJFv.pngqKZAaLK.pngRFvdPMt.pngSLGMeHq.pngd3XCZt0.pngtumblr_ospvc67HxP1v8lm95o2_r2_250.gif
mz77kVn.png
@RidgeButch @TheGodOfStories Glad to be posting [emoji=guardian laughing size=1] I'm definitely leaning towards character death, but the circumstances would probably be, like... If you messed up [i]really[/i] badly. You'd probably know if you were making a choice that could get your character killed, so it wouldn't come out of nowhere. And, if someone really wanted to, I'd let you set up a character death for whatever reason. [s]though there'll be easier ways to swap character if that's ask you want to do[/s] And ok, I'll try to get some NPCs posted... Eventually. Hopefully sooner than later! I'll give some basic information (like, stuff a character might know "of" someone), and an appearance, and try to tie it into the primary setting. So a map of the town might also be in the near future! For the skill idea, I do have a skill system in my other group RP? Essentially you can have up to three skills (of your choice/creation) for your character, it makes things pertaining to those skills more likely to succeed. I think I could definitely adapt that to being an advantage roll system, and maybe even add weaknesses that would have you roll at disadvantage? And oooh, I'm vaguely familiar with that! I've watched Edge of the Empire be played before, but idk if they really used the system. Anyhow! Looking into them a bit, they do seem intriguing to me (sort of like luck points that the DM can use too?), but I'm not sure if it'll quite work with the style of the RP? I want it to be a bit more based in narrative choice than chance; however, I [i]think[/i] I could see a way a spending system like this could sort of fit. Maybe you have these points, and if you use them you can switch the karma alignment of your roll. Though it'd probably be more useful if a character leaned more heavily one way? I dunno, I like the idea of a mechanic along those lines, but maybe I'll wait until I can look at all the player characters (because if their intentions would make them all fairly neutral, my version wouldn't be all that useful). I definitely think I'll include a skill section though (because that also helps me get a feel for what characters are inclined towards), and maybe even a weakness section...
@RidgeButch @TheGodOfStories

Glad to be posting

I'm definitely leaning towards character death, but the circumstances would probably be, like... If you messed up really badly. You'd probably know if you were making a choice that could get your character killed, so it wouldn't come out of nowhere. And, if someone really wanted to, I'd let you set up a character death for whatever reason. though there'll be easier ways to swap character if that's ask you want to do

And ok, I'll try to get some NPCs posted... Eventually. Hopefully sooner than later! I'll give some basic information (like, stuff a character might know "of" someone), and an appearance, and try to tie it into the primary setting. So a map of the town might also be in the near future!

For the skill idea, I do have a skill system in my other group RP? Essentially you can have up to three skills (of your choice/creation) for your character, it makes things pertaining to those skills more likely to succeed. I think I could definitely adapt that to being an advantage roll system, and maybe even add weaknesses that would have you roll at disadvantage?
And oooh, I'm vaguely familiar with that! I've watched Edge of the Empire be played before, but idk if they really used the system. Anyhow! Looking into them a bit, they do seem intriguing to me (sort of like luck points that the DM can use too?), but I'm not sure if it'll quite work with the style of the RP? I want it to be a bit more based in narrative choice than chance; however, I think I could see a way a spending system like this could sort of fit. Maybe you have these points, and if you use them you can switch the karma alignment of your roll. Though it'd probably be more useful if a character leaned more heavily one way?
I dunno, I like the idea of a mechanic along those lines, but maybe I'll wait until I can look at all the player characters (because if their intentions would make them all fairly neutral, my version wouldn't be all that useful). I definitely think I'll include a skill section though (because that also helps me get a feel for what characters are inclined towards), and maybe even a weakness section...
9JujC4r.png9smSRop.png
plague_rune_50x50.png
OOOFR +0OOO
x78oEKd.png f9a32de21f619685c021adafe3a356066a54ad09.png
21z9rai.gifl5SWccB.gif
2rTMEfu.png
Check out my adopts at
Infernal Beasts,
my lore-based
Scatterquest,
or my skin shop,
Dracopunk!
*kicks down the metaphorical door* @RidgeButch @TheGodOfStories (I think you were interested in merrow too?) Finally finished up some merrow examples! [center][img]https://f2.toyhou.se/file/f2-toyhou-se/images/22086267_6wDlGOv41K3rTzn.png[/img][/center] Merrow are extremely tall, with long, gangly limbs considered disproportional. Appearances greatly vary, though features such as webbed hands, hard growths, spines/horns, and extra fins are common. Bioluminescence is present deeper down, but typically in conjunction with diminished vision. Some may resemble freshwater fish, but all merrow live in saltwater. Clothing is generally considered unnecessary in merrow societies, though the vast majority will at least dress for decency on land (and in merrow societies where such modesty is valued). Jewelry and other accessories are commonly seen. Typical materials include coral, shells/bones, and plant material for cording. (Some valuable stones and such are also options, but metal-working and excavation aren't seen in merrow societies.) However, anything that falls in the sea is fair game, and gift swaps between sea-dwelling and land-dwelling friends are to be expected. Accessories like the skull display above would likely not be seen near shores/land-based societies. But more isolated merrow societies don't always see land-dwellers as creatures of similar intellect or creatures deserving of care; though, as history has shown, it's really only returning the favor...
*kicks down the metaphorical door*

@RidgeButch @TheGodOfStories (I think you were interested in merrow too?)

Finally finished up some merrow examples!
22086267_6wDlGOv41K3rTzn.png

Merrow are extremely tall, with long, gangly limbs considered disproportional. Appearances greatly vary, though features such as webbed hands, hard growths, spines/horns, and extra fins are common. Bioluminescence is present deeper down, but typically in conjunction with diminished vision. Some may resemble freshwater fish, but all merrow live in saltwater.

Clothing is generally considered unnecessary in merrow societies, though the vast majority will at least dress for decency on land (and in merrow societies where such modesty is valued). Jewelry and other accessories are commonly seen. Typical materials include coral, shells/bones, and plant material for cording. (Some valuable stones and such are also options, but metal-working and excavation aren't seen in merrow societies.) However, anything that falls in the sea is fair game, and gift swaps between sea-dwelling and land-dwelling friends are to be expected. Accessories like the skull display above would likely not be seen near shores/land-based societies. But more isolated merrow societies don't always see land-dwellers as creatures of similar intellect or creatures deserving of care; though, as history has shown, it's really only returning the favor...
9JujC4r.png9smSRop.png
plague_rune_50x50.png
OOOFR +0OOO
21z9rai.gifl5SWccB.gif
2rTMEfu.png
Check out my adopts at
Infernal Beasts,
my lore-based
Scatterquest,
or my skin shop,
Dracopunk!
@Drakessis
Once again those look amazing! Would Merrow that live so deep down have a significantly or at least noticeably different society/culture than more shallow-living Murrow? I ask because I imagine those living so deep that they evolve to have (or maybe it's part of their culture to give themselves(?)) bioluminescence and weak sight, would reside so deep that they wouldn't survive up past a certain depth/shallowness, and it others would be unable to survive the pressure past a certain depth. Maybe both would be doable with some kind of magical aid. Anyway, if they would be as separated from other Marrow societies as I imagined, would their culture reflect this?
@Drakessis
Once again those look amazing! Would Merrow that live so deep down have a significantly or at least noticeably different society/culture than more shallow-living Murrow? I ask because I imagine those living so deep that they evolve to have (or maybe it's part of their culture to give themselves(?)) bioluminescence and weak sight, would reside so deep that they wouldn't survive up past a certain depth/shallowness, and it others would be unable to survive the pressure past a certain depth. Maybe both would be doable with some kind of magical aid. Anyway, if they would be as separated from other Marrow societies as I imagined, would their culture reflect this?
d6Bpz8P.pngCx0Sdv8.pngzWgdxzn.png5cC87Ar.png5Pvzltj.pngvAUMJFv.pngqKZAaLK.pngRFvdPMt.pngSLGMeHq.pngd3XCZt0.pngtumblr_ospvc67HxP1v8lm95o2_r2_250.gif
mz77kVn.png
@TheGodOfStories Thanks!!

Likely, yes, their societies and cultures would be fairly different because there'd be things they aren't exposed to, they'd need to gather food in different ways, etc. The bioluminescence was definitely evolved, and probably just so merrow could see each other- they're a social species in the same way people are. Though echolocation and other methods are possible! And magic to allow for survival regardless of pressure would probably be available (I ended up realizing that merrow have some odd degree of intrinsic magic, since being able to sprout legs in the place of a tail or lobster body isn't really a biological thing... Chances are they could have similar abilities in regards to pressure?). So overall they'd probably be different, but not, like... Alien? Maybe the same sort of disconnect that land and sea have had would occur, but things like intelligence and probably basic morals would be fairly consistent, even if it wasn't recognized.

But the ocean is so vast and usually disconnected that both depth and region would be at work together to form the cultures. Plenty of places are isolated or rather nomadic or ever-changing by choice or by necessity, which ofc affects how they interact with land-dwellers and other merrow and so on. (If someone made a merrow character I'd allow a fair bit of flexibility for whatever they wanted to do with origins! Merrow that aren't on land are rather vague on purpose, but I couldn't deny someone having some fun if they wanted a merrow character or connections to the species.)
@TheGodOfStories Thanks!!

Likely, yes, their societies and cultures would be fairly different because there'd be things they aren't exposed to, they'd need to gather food in different ways, etc. The bioluminescence was definitely evolved, and probably just so merrow could see each other- they're a social species in the same way people are. Though echolocation and other methods are possible! And magic to allow for survival regardless of pressure would probably be available (I ended up realizing that merrow have some odd degree of intrinsic magic, since being able to sprout legs in the place of a tail or lobster body isn't really a biological thing... Chances are they could have similar abilities in regards to pressure?). So overall they'd probably be different, but not, like... Alien? Maybe the same sort of disconnect that land and sea have had would occur, but things like intelligence and probably basic morals would be fairly consistent, even if it wasn't recognized.

But the ocean is so vast and usually disconnected that both depth and region would be at work together to form the cultures. Plenty of places are isolated or rather nomadic or ever-changing by choice or by necessity, which ofc affects how they interact with land-dwellers and other merrow and so on. (If someone made a merrow character I'd allow a fair bit of flexibility for whatever they wanted to do with origins! Merrow that aren't on land are rather vague on purpose, but I couldn't deny someone having some fun if they wanted a merrow character or connections to the species.)
9JujC4r.png9smSRop.png
plague_rune_50x50.png
OOOFR +0OOO
21z9rai.gifl5SWccB.gif
2rTMEfu.png
Check out my adopts at
Infernal Beasts,
my lore-based
Scatterquest,
or my skin shop,
Dracopunk!
Oh wow they're beautiful, I love the range of attire and aquatic features. But what I really like is the blurbs of Merrow culture and the different regions' relations with and opinions of land-dwellers!
Oh wow they're beautiful, I love the range of attire and aquatic features. But what I really like is the blurbs of Merrow culture and the different regions' relations with and opinions of land-dwellers!
tumblr_inline_pi905v48pa1rhxln1_100.png - She/Her
- FR Time
- 20 y/o
- Wishlist
1EVlM.gif FsbHk.gif
@RidgeButch Thank you so much!!
@RidgeButch Thank you so much!!
9JujC4r.png9smSRop.png
plague_rune_50x50.png
OOOFR +0OOO
21z9rai.gifl5SWccB.gif
2rTMEfu.png
Check out my adopts at
Infernal Beasts,
my lore-based
Scatterquest,
or my skin shop,
Dracopunk!
@Drakessis I don’t know if I’m too late, but I’d love to get a slot if there’s one available!

If my question has been answered already, then feel free to point me to where it is. What is there regarding healing/clerical magic in this world? I know I saw something about magic being rare and sought after: I was thinking of being a dwarven cleric but if I can’t then I’d like to know if I should stick to non-magical healing?
@Drakessis I don’t know if I’m too late, but I’d love to get a slot if there’s one available!

If my question has been answered already, then feel free to point me to where it is. What is there regarding healing/clerical magic in this world? I know I saw something about magic being rare and sought after: I was thinking of being a dwarven cleric but if I can’t then I’d like to know if I should stick to non-magical healing?
aUKJE16.png
@PricklyGoose Thanks for your interest! Unfortunately there's no slot left, but I can definitely have you as a priority slot if I decide to have more players/someone decides to drop out!

I have a WIP section written up on medical stuff in the setting here, but I'll clarify(/ramble) a bit. Magical healing does exist, with the main staple being potions, but it's not really used on its own except for small wounds, and is almost always used in combination with traditional medicine or surgery. But, since magic kind of has a tendency to "stick" to flesh (sort of like how some metals conduct electricity better than others, it's just easier to channel magic through and apply magic to flesh), things like potions, magically-applied HRT, are readily available.

So, that being said, I think someone could probably manage to conjure the effects of potions without actually needing to make them, but actually being able to manage grave wound, debris, infections and such would require some non-magical knowledge.

But there's also gray areas. Things like illnesses, if uncured, are usually left up to trial and error; so people try to use traditional medicine, medicinal alcohol (alcohol isn't used in drinks in the setting, it's purely medicinal), or magical methods pretty equally to find a solution. The production of antivenoms is considered magical/potion brewing, but in reality it's probably more like... They're just not 100% sure how it works yet, even though they can do it (though the time frame would have them understanding it more, now).

I'm not really sure if that answers your question knhjbjm, tldr; healing magic really just improves the typical medicine and methods present! it's not a cure-all, but it does have a large enough effect where things like potions of all kinds are probably the reason the life expectancy is in the 70s-80s.
@PricklyGoose Thanks for your interest! Unfortunately there's no slot left, but I can definitely have you as a priority slot if I decide to have more players/someone decides to drop out!

I have a WIP section written up on medical stuff in the setting here, but I'll clarify(/ramble) a bit. Magical healing does exist, with the main staple being potions, but it's not really used on its own except for small wounds, and is almost always used in combination with traditional medicine or surgery. But, since magic kind of has a tendency to "stick" to flesh (sort of like how some metals conduct electricity better than others, it's just easier to channel magic through and apply magic to flesh), things like potions, magically-applied HRT, are readily available.

So, that being said, I think someone could probably manage to conjure the effects of potions without actually needing to make them, but actually being able to manage grave wound, debris, infections and such would require some non-magical knowledge.

But there's also gray areas. Things like illnesses, if uncured, are usually left up to trial and error; so people try to use traditional medicine, medicinal alcohol (alcohol isn't used in drinks in the setting, it's purely medicinal), or magical methods pretty equally to find a solution. The production of antivenoms is considered magical/potion brewing, but in reality it's probably more like... They're just not 100% sure how it works yet, even though they can do it (though the time frame would have them understanding it more, now).

I'm not really sure if that answers your question knhjbjm, tldr; healing magic really just improves the typical medicine and methods present! it's not a cure-all, but it does have a large enough effect where things like potions of all kinds are probably the reason the life expectancy is in the 70s-80s.
9JujC4r.png9smSRop.png
plague_rune_50x50.png
OOOFR +0OOO
21z9rai.gifl5SWccB.gif
2rTMEfu.png
Check out my adopts at
Infernal Beasts,
my lore-based
Scatterquest,
or my skin shop,
Dracopunk!
@Drakessis Aaa that’s too bad, but yeah, I’d love it if I could be on the priority list, then!

And yes, that answers it perfectly! Thank you!
@Drakessis Aaa that’s too bad, but yeah, I’d love it if I could be on the priority list, then!

And yes, that answers it perfectly! Thank you!
aUKJE16.png
1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11