Back

Raffles & Giveaways

Share your raffles and giveaways with the Flight Rising community.
TOPIC | [CLOSED] Sornieth Naturalists' Society
1 2 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 26 27
@CozyBlanket I'm so glad you're enjoying it so far! I love reading all the entries too.

@SnoringHyena Added you!
@CozyBlanket I'm so glad you're enjoying it so far! I love reading all the entries too.

@SnoringHyena Added you!
Na5WGHa.png
@GoldWerewolf That photo is amazing! Was it a wild owl?
Na5WGHa.png
[quote name="dreamclaws" date="2020-12-06 15:52:25" ] @GoldWerewolf That photo is amazing! Was it a wild owl? [/quote] Yes! I took that picture early this year. I took the photo with my phone through my binoculars. I am going to try and use all pictures I have taken for this event. Here is another bird we saw that same day. This one is probably a male due to the lack of spots. They squint because the snow is so bright. [img]https://i.imgur.com/F8ifpO9.jpg[/img]
dreamclaws wrote on 2020-12-06 15:52:25:

Yes! I took that picture early this year. I took the photo with my phone through my binoculars. I am going to try and use all pictures I have taken for this event.

Here is another bird we saw that same day. This one is probably a male due to the lack of spots. They squint because the snow is so bright.

F8ifpO9.jpg
BdOK9My.png
[b]Username: [/b]Cordially [b]Theme: [/b]Extreme Habitats [b]Species: [/b][i]Stygiomedusa Gigantea[/i] [b]Entry Type: [/b]Visual [b]Comment (Optional): [/b]I'll let folks look this one up themselves because it's very spooky-looking imo. According to its [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stygiomedusa]wiki[/url] article, [i]S. Gigantea[/i] is a giant deep sea (>1800m) jellyfish that can grow up to 10m long. Instead of stinging its prey like other jellyfish, it likely traps and envelops them instead in its four huge, cloak-like arms. A spiral scry seemed fitting, since 10m is loooong [b]Entry:[/b] [img]https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=1&body=12&bodygene=18&breed=7&element=7&eyetype=10&gender=1&tert=98&tertgene=12&winggene=11&wings=177&auth=552fea36440d6a6553013619acf1a9b829280578&dummyext=prev.png[/img]
Username: Cordially
Theme: Extreme Habitats
Species: Stygiomedusa Gigantea
Entry Type: Visual
Comment (Optional): I'll let folks look this one up themselves because it's very spooky-looking imo. According to its wiki article, S. Gigantea is a giant deep sea (>1800m) jellyfish that can grow up to 10m long. Instead of stinging its prey like other jellyfish, it likely traps and envelops them instead in its four huge, cloak-like arms.

A spiral scry seemed fitting, since 10m is loooong

Entry:

dragon?age=1&body=12&bodygene=18&breed=7&element=7&eyetype=10&gender=1&tert=98&tertgene=12&winggene=11&wings=177&auth=552fea36440d6a6553013619acf1a9b829280578&dummyext=prev.png
[LvA 2023] Top 26 Ticket Earners / badge by Irithyll (#157246)_
sZShZzW.png
WKtl2lb.png
jFZJEcu.png
FObX7rS.png
(spoilers for taz: b)
_Contralto / pixel adopt by Hawkeyyee (#146802)Ace / pixel adopt by Hawkeyyee (#146802)
[b]Username: [/b]RisenWolf [b]Theme: [/b]Extreme Habitats [b]Species: [/b]Helicobacter pylori [b]Entry Type: [/b]Visual (outfit) [b]Comment (Optional): [/b]H. pylori is a bacteria that can survive very acidic conditions. Can be found living in the stomach under pH as low as 2. [b]Entry:[/b] [img]https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/dressing-room/scry?sdid=1181443&skin=0&apparel=28815,5669,5671,5665,5667,5670,5668,5666&xt=dressing.png[img] [img]https://badgut.org/wp-content/uploads/Image-Content-hpylori-1.png[/img]
Username: RisenWolf
Species: Helicobacter pylori
Entry Type: Visual (outfit)
Comment (Optional): H. pylori is a bacteria that can survive very acidic conditions. Can be found living in the stomach under pH as low as 2.
Entry:
scry?sdid=1181443&skin=0&apparel=28815,5669,5671,5665,5667,5670,5668,5666&xt=dressing.png[img][/img]Image-Content-hpylori-1.png
b2d539f53b798f31f5d6939b881cb7385ceea443.png
Username: Halictidae Theme: Extreme Habitats Species: Camel! Entry Type: Visual Comment: Camels can survive extremely dry conditions by storing fat in their humps, so they can go weeks without water. Entry: [img]https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=1&body=139&bodygene=4&breed=6&element=1&eyetype=2&gender=1&tert=139&tertgene=18&winggene=18&wings=103&auth=5b41de12da60b8c792f3623300820702ebb0deec&dummyext=prev.png[/img] [img]https://cdn.britannica.com/94/152294-131-DC3E25DB/Arabian-dromedary-camel.jpg[/img]
Username: Halictidae
Species: Camel!
Comment: Camels can survive extremely dry conditions by storing fat in their humps, so they can go weeks without water.
Entry:

dragon?age=1&body=139&bodygene=4&breed=6&element=1&eyetype=2&gender=1&tert=139&tertgene=18&winggene=18&wings=103&auth=5b41de12da60b8c792f3623300820702ebb0deec&dummyext=prev.png

Arabian-dromedary-camel.jpg
  • Hal
  • she/her
  • FR + 3

leaf.png
fdafas
[b]Username: [/b] TheAwesoMew [b]Theme: [/b] Extreme Habitats [b]Species: [/b] Wood Frog ([i]Lithobates sylvaticus[/i] // [i]Rana sylvatica[/i] ) [b]Entry Type: [/b] Lore/Writing [b]Comment (Optional): [/b] It's getting pretty cold where I live, so I felt like the Wood Frog was an appropriate pick! It can survive having over 65% of its total body mass frozen, including its heart :o An extreme habitat indeed! They undergo this process to have good access to snowmelt pools in the spring, where they can lay their eggs way ahead of the competition. [url=https://www.dogonews.com/2015/3/19/tiny-wood-frogs-survive-winter-by-partially-freezing-their-bodies]This website[/url]'s got a cool timelapse of a Wood Frog thawing out! It also has some more information about the process for any biology nerds like myself :D [b]Entry:[/b] [center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=64920095][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/649201/64920095p.png[/img][/url][color=transparent]..[/color][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=59567871][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/595679/59567871p.png[/img][/url][/center] "Mama, look!" Rae glanced up just in time to see her daughter, Haiten, waddling inside with a wide grin and sparkling eyes. In her little claws she clasped a chunk of ice that was already beginning to drip and melt onto the wooden floor of the office. "What is it, sweetie?" Rae asked softly, reaching out with a paw. The little Mirror fumbled it over with an eager squeak, allowing her to freeze it a bit more firmly with her magic. Still, it was dangerously slick as she turned it over in her claws. "Look!" Haiten chirped, tapping at a vague brownish lump near the ice shard's center, "There's a frog in it, mama!" Rae froze, her wings drooping ever so slightly. Did Haiten know...? Ampibians like these just couldn't survive in the cold. Most buried themselves in the earth to escape the onset of winter; any caught on the surface almost certainly perished, from the lack of liquid water if not the staggering temperature. "Are you sure? It might just be a stone, dear." Haiten's glimmering pink eyes screwed up in frustration. "No, mama!" she retorted, "It's got legs and webbed feet. Stones don't have those!" Rae pushed her glasses up, focusing on the shape through the flurry of snowflakes that tumbled around her eyes. Beneath the thin layer of ice, she could see what Haiten meant; it was clearly a frog, webbed feet and all. "See?" Haiten squeaked, reaching out to take the frozen creature once more, "Itsa frog!" "I guess you're right," Rae chuckled, returning the treasure to its rightful owner, "Now, what do you plan on doing with it?" "I'm gonna keep him!" Haiten exclaimed, jumping around on the office floor, "I'll thaw him out of the ice, and then he can live in my room...I'll get him a tank and everything, with my own treasure!" She suddenly went still, turning to face Rae with a suddenly solemn expression. "[i]Can[/i] I keep him, mama?" Rae's heart wrenched. How could she explain...? But Haiten was so excited about it, and someone in the clan would almost certainly know where to get a living one... "I suppose..." she relented with a smile. [center]~[/center] Rae hovered in the background as Haiten put the frozen frog in a bowl and sat with it by the fireplace. The little Mirror babbled excitedly to herself as the frost began to melt, sloughing off bits of leaf litter and slowly exposing the frog inside. Mentally, she was running down the list of dragons who might be able to identify the creature and locate a replacement for it; one of the Rangers would know for sure, and, if not, the Library would probably be able to do the job. She just had to hope that sweet little Haiten wouldn't catch on before the switch could be made. She was brought out of her reverie as Haiten gave an excited yell. "He's waking up mama!" she whooped, gesturing with a paw, "Come see, come see!" Tentatively, Rae stepped over and peered into the bowl. Sure enough, the frog was moving; its sides fluttered with breath and its webbed feet twitched as it returned slowly to wakefulness. [i]H-how?[/i] Rae thought incredulously, patting Haiten's head absentmindedly. She didn't profess to be much of a biologist, but living in a clan full of such dragons had led to her picking up a thing or two. Was this some sort of lucky miracle? A bit of grace from the gods? It was the only answer she could think of. [center]~[/center] "Oh, it's a Wood Frog!" Rae gaped, watching the little creature hop about in its new terrarium. [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/55867573]Tilly[/url], the ranger whom she'd invited over to identify it, nodded in self-assurance as she examined the amphibian herself. "Yes, there's no doubt about it. Wood Frogs are extraordinary--they can survive being frozen and thawed multiple times in the same winter. Didn't expect it to make such a stunning recovery, eh?" Checking to make sure that Haiten's attention was elsewhere, Rae quickly shook her head. Tilly chuckled, patting Rae's shoulder reassuringly. "It's an easy mistake to make! Most frogs wouldn't be near so lucky. An incredible--and incredibly relieving--find, to be sure." Rae nodded with a smile, watching Haiten fawn over her new, very much alive, pet.
Username: TheAwesoMew

Species: Wood Frog (Lithobates sylvaticus // Rana sylvatica )

Entry Type: Lore/Writing

Comment (Optional): It's getting pretty cold where I live, so I felt like the Wood Frog was an appropriate pick! It can survive having over 65% of its total body mass frozen, including its heart :o An extreme habitat indeed! They undergo this process to have good access to snowmelt pools in the spring, where they can lay their eggs way ahead of the competition.

This website's got a cool timelapse of a Wood Frog thawing out! It also has some more information about the process for any biology nerds like myself :D

Entry:
64920095p.png..59567871p.png

"Mama, look!"

Rae glanced up just in time to see her daughter, Haiten, waddling inside with a wide grin and sparkling eyes. In her little claws she clasped a chunk of ice that was already beginning to drip and melt onto the wooden floor of the office.

"What is it, sweetie?" Rae asked softly, reaching out with a paw. The little Mirror fumbled it over with an eager squeak, allowing her to freeze it a bit more firmly with her magic. Still, it was dangerously slick as she turned it over in her claws.

"Look!" Haiten chirped, tapping at a vague brownish lump near the ice shard's center, "There's a frog in it, mama!"

Rae froze, her wings drooping ever so slightly. Did Haiten know...? Ampibians like these just couldn't survive in the cold. Most buried themselves in the earth to escape the onset of winter; any caught on the surface almost certainly perished, from the lack of liquid water if not the staggering temperature.

"Are you sure? It might just be a stone, dear."

Haiten's glimmering pink eyes screwed up in frustration. "No, mama!" she retorted, "It's got legs and webbed feet. Stones don't have those!"

Rae pushed her glasses up, focusing on the shape through the flurry of snowflakes that tumbled around her eyes. Beneath the thin layer of ice, she could see what Haiten meant; it was clearly a frog, webbed feet and all.

"See?" Haiten squeaked, reaching out to take the frozen creature once more, "Itsa frog!"

"I guess you're right," Rae chuckled, returning the treasure to its rightful owner, "Now, what do you plan on doing with it?"

"I'm gonna keep him!" Haiten exclaimed, jumping around on the office floor, "I'll thaw him out of the ice, and then he can live in my room...I'll get him a tank and everything, with my own treasure!"

She suddenly went still, turning to face Rae with a suddenly solemn expression.

"Can I keep him, mama?"

Rae's heart wrenched. How could she explain...? But Haiten was so excited about it, and someone in the clan would almost certainly know where to get a living one...

"I suppose..." she relented with a smile.
~

Rae hovered in the background as Haiten put the frozen frog in a bowl and sat with it by the fireplace. The little Mirror babbled excitedly to herself as the frost began to melt, sloughing off bits of leaf litter and slowly exposing the frog inside. Mentally, she was running down the list of dragons who might be able to identify the creature and locate a replacement for it; one of the Rangers would know for sure, and, if not, the Library would probably be able to do the job. She just had to hope that sweet little Haiten wouldn't catch on before the switch could be made.

She was brought out of her reverie as Haiten gave an excited yell. "He's waking up mama!" she whooped, gesturing with a paw, "Come see, come see!"

Tentatively, Rae stepped over and peered into the bowl. Sure enough, the frog was moving; its sides fluttered with breath and its webbed feet twitched as it returned slowly to wakefulness. H-how? Rae thought incredulously, patting Haiten's head absentmindedly. She didn't profess to be much of a biologist, but living in a clan full of such dragons had led to her picking up a thing or two. Was this some sort of lucky miracle? A bit of grace from the gods? It was the only answer she could think of.
~

"Oh, it's a Wood Frog!"

Rae gaped, watching the little creature hop about in its new terrarium. Tilly, the ranger whom she'd invited over to identify it, nodded in self-assurance as she examined the amphibian herself.

"Yes, there's no doubt about it. Wood Frogs are extraordinary--they can survive being frozen and thawed multiple times in the same winter. Didn't expect it to make such a stunning recovery, eh?"

Checking to make sure that Haiten's attention was elsewhere, Rae quickly shook her head.

Tilly chuckled, patting Rae's shoulder reassuringly. "It's an easy mistake to make! Most frogs wouldn't be near so lucky. An incredible--and incredibly relieving--find, to be sure."

Rae nodded with a smile, watching Haiten fawn over her new, very much alive, pet.
LhnYpua.png s3-s16-m36-l11-l19-l20-l11-book.pngs3-s16-m36-l11-l19-l20-m36-book.pngs3-s16-m36-l11-l19-l20-s16-book.pngB7_R.png
3KkxJSr.png
LhnYpua.png
eeGpIiY.png
.. « Mew »
|| 2+ FR Time | She/Her | The Calm Before the Storm | fr__lightning_by_baelfin-d8uyn76.png fr__beastclans_by_baelfin-d92uyiw.png ||

• { Lockedown } - Chill Biolocke + Necrolocke
• { Thunder Hollow } - Clan Lore [WIP]

{ Assets: x x x }
eeGpIiY.png
LhnYpua.png 89TBw7Q.gif
[b]Username: [/b]milesss [b]Theme: [/b]Day 1 - Extreme Habitats [b]Species: [/b]Saharan Silver Ant [b]Entry Type: [/b]Visual [b]Comment (Optional): [/b]Found out about these buggers from glumshoe on tumblr (@oneironautilus here). The Saharan silver ant is an ant that has adapted to living in a desert by only going out during the 10 minutes of the day when it's too hot for the predatory lizards but not quite too hot for an ant. Wikipedia quote: "It is the fastest of the world’s 12,000 known ant species, clocking a blistering velocity of 855 millimetres per second". They feed on heat-struck insects who failed to make it into the shade in time, and navigate back to their nests based on the position of the sun. [b]Entry:[/b] [center][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=1&body=77&bodygene=1&breed=10&element=7&eyetype=3&gender=1&tert=169&tertgene=12&winggene=1&wings=77&auth=926d18cab63477c2cca6a590fef5bab20d9b4842&dummyext=prev.png[/img] [img]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1f/Saharan_silver_ants_capturing_beetle.jpg[/img][/center]
Username: milesss
Theme: Day 1 - Extreme Habitats
Species: Saharan Silver Ant
Comment (Optional): Found out about these buggers from glumshoe on tumblr (@oneironautilus here). The Saharan silver ant is an ant that has adapted to living in a desert by only going out during the 10 minutes of the day when it's too hot for the predatory lizards but not quite too hot for an ant. Wikipedia quote: "It is the fastest of the world’s 12,000 known ant species, clocking a blistering velocity of 855 millimetres per second". They feed on heat-struck insects who failed to make it into the shade in time, and navigate back to their nests based on the position of the sun.
Entry:
dragon?age=1&body=77&bodygene=1&breed=10&element=7&eyetype=3&gender=1&tert=169&tertgene=12&winggene=1&wings=77&auth=926d18cab63477c2cca6a590fef5bab20d9b4842&dummyext=prev.png

Saharan_silver_ants_capturing_beetle.jpg
transgender.pngTkQY47D.pngAromantic.pngfsMWPHj.pnggenderqueer.pnga9etaNf.gifKNAvkWg.pngdaily_candles.pngKJF0pqy.gif
[b]Username: [/b] divitineo [b]Theme: [/b] Visual [b]Species: [/b] Marbled Polecat [b]Entry Type: [/b] Extreme Habitats [b]Comment (Optional): [/b] The Marbled polecat is a small mammal that is found in Europe and Asia. They live in the open desert, semi-desert, and semiarid rocky areas in upland valleys and low hill ranges, and steppe country. [b]Entry:[/b] [img]https://www.worldlifeexpectancy.com/images/a/w/b/vormela-peregusna/vormela-peregusna.jpg[/img] [img]https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=1&body=9&bodygene=3&breed=12&element=1&eyetype=3&gender=1&tert=9&tertgene=5&winggene=22&wings=75&auth=bffeb86070b8364b48995830d7a6e1113c7b4b37&dummyext=prev.png[/img]
Username: divitineo
Theme: Visual
Species: Marbled Polecat
Entry Type: Extreme Habitats
Comment (Optional): The Marbled polecat is a small mammal that is found in Europe and Asia. They live in the open desert, semi-desert, and semiarid rocky areas in upland valleys and low hill ranges, and steppe country.
Entry:

vormela-peregusna.jpg

dragon?age=1&body=9&bodygene=3&breed=12&element=1&eyetype=3&gender=1&tert=9&tertgene=5&winggene=22&wings=75&auth=bffeb86070b8364b48995830d7a6e1113c7b4b37&dummyext=prev.png
Signature2.pngpUhxYo0.gifSorry for my english :b
[b]Username: [/b]MotherOfBeardies [b]Theme: [/b]Day 1 - Extreme Habitats [b]Species: [/b]Shaggy Frogfish [b]Entry Type: [/b]Visual [b]Comment (Optional): [/b]I looked up deep sea creatures and this was listed, so hopefully it counts [b]Entry:[/b] [center][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=1&body=42&bodygene=21&breed=9&element=8&eyetype=0&gender=1&tert=42&tertgene=5&winggene=21&wings=42&auth=277da8bad364288a1846bc7e075a3207b135af86&dummyext=prev.png[/img] [url=https://www.rd.com/list/deep-sea-creatures/][img]https://www.rd.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/shutterstock_234322183-760x506.jpg[/img][/url][/center]
Username: MotherOfBeardies
Theme: Day 1 - Extreme Habitats
Species: Shaggy Frogfish
Comment (Optional): I looked up deep sea creatures and this was listed, so hopefully it counts
Entry:
dragon?age=1&body=42&bodygene=21&breed=9&element=8&eyetype=0&gender=1&tert=42&tertgene=5&winggene=21&wings=42&auth=277da8bad364288a1846bc7e075a3207b135af86&dummyext=prev.png
shutterstock_234322183-760x506.jpg
art of a yellow winged cat standing on a book, linking to the thread the badge was froma fake item ribbon with trans and rainbow flag colors linking to a thread with more ribbons/art of a traveling Light flight Spiral dragon linking to the artist
1 2 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 26 27