Back

Raffles & Giveaways

Share your raffles and giveaways with the Flight Rising community.
TOPIC | [CLOSED] Sornieth Naturalists Society
1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 18 19
[b]Username:[/b] sgkat [b]Theme:[/b] Winter Flowers and Berries [b]Species:[/b] Christmas Cactus [b]Entry Type:[/b] Visual [b]Comment (Optional):[/b] My mom has a christmas cactus grown from a cutting of [i]her[/i] mom's, so I just had to scry one of these lovelies, even though my mom's doesn't bloom at christmastime; she just doesn't water it enough. [b]Entry:[/b] [img]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/ef/Cactus_de_no%C3%ABl_rev.jpg[/img] [img]https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=1&body=34&bodygene=55&breed=18&element=9&eyetype=0&gender=1&tert=65&tertgene=49&winggene=56&wings=164&auth=a558e77f9941e5812ae10e4ade8aeacae95e0267&dummyext=prev.png[/img]
Username: sgkat
Theme: Winter Flowers and Berries
Species: Christmas Cactus
Entry Type: Visual
Comment (Optional): My mom has a christmas cactus grown from a cutting of her mom's, so I just had to scry one of these lovelies, even though my mom's doesn't bloom at christmastime; she just doesn't water it enough.
Entry:
Cactus_de_no%C3%ABl_rev.jpg
dragon?age=1&body=34&bodygene=55&breed=18&element=9&eyetype=0&gender=1&tert=65&tertgene=49&winggene=56&wings=164&auth=a558e77f9941e5812ae10e4ade8aeacae95e0267&dummyext=prev.png

Projects
Wishlist
Bio Resources
Acp3eET.png*NIdUF6j.pngJKNmjbX.pngHFIQUjw.pngSFXnr9A.png2KqnYj4.pngUifrkF6.pnghBq372b.pngK4kr5BC.pngEeIVgVi.png8ayfQ7p.pngemtOFWD.pngfNFWviE.pngWANW32a.png6l90A3T.pngUS7UtHx.png
[b]Username:[/b] Sidegrinder [b]Theme:[/b] Day 3 - Winter Flowers and Berries [b]Species:[/b] Velvet foot ([i]Flammulina velutipes[/i]) [b]Entry Type:[/b] Visual [b]Comment (Optional):[/b] Also known as enoki or enokitake in its cultivated form, the velvet foot can be found sprouting from deciduous trees from late autumn to early spring. This mushroom can be found across North America, Europe, and Japan, and is the fifth most consumed fungi in the world. Not to be confused with the galerina mushroom, which is similar in appearance (to the wild variety) and quite poisonous. [b]Entry:[/b] [img]https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=1&body=163&bodygene=5&breed=12&element=11&eyetype=10&gender=0&tert=157&tertgene=9&winggene=41&wings=83&auth=27a4ea19b2c5d7e9a45cd8527b9ed78edc3e054a&dummyext=prev.png[/img] [img]https://outthereoutdoors.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/wiki-4sm.jpg[/img] [sub][url=https://outthereoutdoors.com/the-velvet-foot/][ Image Source ][/url]
Username: Sidegrinder
Theme: Day 3 - Winter Flowers and Berries
Species: Velvet foot (Flammulina velutipes)
Comment (Optional): Also known as enoki or enokitake in its cultivated form, the velvet foot can be found sprouting from deciduous trees from late autumn to early spring. This mushroom can be found across North America, Europe, and Japan, and is the fifth most consumed fungi in the world.

Not to be confused with the galerina mushroom, which is similar in appearance (to the wild variety) and quite poisonous.

Entry:

dragon?age=1&body=163&bodygene=5&breed=12&element=11&eyetype=10&gender=0&tert=157&tertgene=9&winggene=41&wings=83&auth=27a4ea19b2c5d7e9a45cd8527b9ed78edc3e054a&dummyext=prev.png

wiki-4sm.jpg

[ Image Source ]
nMkuik2.gifsNtd9Dk.gif4AJs72V.pngl9DOymq.pngsNtd9Dk.gifRz7ZJcJ.png
username: sprinklequeen
theme: day 3- winter flowers and berries
species: calendula (calendula officinalis)
entry type: lore/writing
entry:

ariell's favorite flowers had always been the calendulas. they were lovely and orange, and bloomed in the wintertime, which was every gaoler's favorite season. she also like it as a metaphor: despite winter being the harshest and coldest of seasons, the calendulas blossomed nevertheless, shining their bright hues over the otherwise colorless scenery.

she picked one carefully and began to idly weave the plentiful blooms. it brought back memories of a childhood with others like her, other gaolers who understood her quiet griping about the heat and her innate desire for order. ariell was the only one of her kind in her new clan, and although she loved her clanmates dearly, none of them understood her.

finishing the crown, ariell set it atop her head, sighing slightly and wondering if, somewhere, anybody from her old life was thinking about her too. then she cast away the thought, and cast away her crown, and got back into the rhythm of daily life.
username: sprinklequeen
theme: day 3- winter flowers and berries
species: calendula (calendula officinalis)
entry type: lore/writing
entry:

ariell's favorite flowers had always been the calendulas. they were lovely and orange, and bloomed in the wintertime, which was every gaoler's favorite season. she also like it as a metaphor: despite winter being the harshest and coldest of seasons, the calendulas blossomed nevertheless, shining their bright hues over the otherwise colorless scenery.

she picked one carefully and began to idly weave the plentiful blooms. it brought back memories of a childhood with others like her, other gaolers who understood her quiet griping about the heat and her innate desire for order. ariell was the only one of her kind in her new clan, and although she loved her clanmates dearly, none of them understood her.

finishing the crown, ariell set it atop her head, sighing slightly and wondering if, somewhere, anybody from her old life was thinking about her too. then she cast away the thought, and cast away her crown, and got back into the rhythm of daily life.
alex/nyx
queer // genderfluid // any pronouns work! // click my eggs (but not too much!)
RsLbU.gifDQziP.gif
[b]Username: [/b] davietoowavey [b]Theme: [/b] Winter Flowers and Berries [b]Species: [/b] Winter Aconite [i](Eranthis)[/i] [b]Entry Type: [/b] Visual [b]Comment (Optional): [/b] While they are poisonous just like the more notorious Aconite, the toxic compounds inside are different. [b]Entry:[/b] [img]https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=0&body=42&bodygene=7&breed=7&element=8&eyetype=11&gender=0&tert=104&tertgene=5&winggene=20&wings=42&auth=91b0d5b143df10d90180c4376e52bcf95293581b&dummyext=prev.png[/img] [img]https://www.saga.co.uk/contentlibrary/saga/publishing/verticals/home-and-garden/gardening/plants/perennials/how-to-grow-winter-aconites.jpg[/img] [url=https://www.saga.co.uk/magazine/home-garden/gardening/plants/perennials/how-to-grow-the-winter-aconites-eranthis-hyemalis]Source[/url]
Username: davietoowavey
Theme: Winter Flowers and Berries
Species: Winter Aconite (Eranthis)
Comment (Optional): While they are poisonous just like the more notorious Aconite, the toxic compounds inside are different.
Entry:

dragon?age=0&body=42&bodygene=7&breed=7&element=8&eyetype=11&gender=0&tert=104&tertgene=5&winggene=20&wings=42&auth=91b0d5b143df10d90180c4376e52bcf95293581b&dummyext=prev.png
how-to-grow-winter-aconites.jpg
Source
[b]Username:[/b] Onceler [b]Theme:[/b] Day 3 - Winter Flowers and Berries [b]Species:[/b] English Holly [i](Ilex Aquifolium)[/i] [b]Entry Type:[/b] Visual [b]Comment (Optional):[/b] This is the holly most often associated with Christmas decorations, their cut branches are used for this purpose. The berries ripen during the winter. These berries are a purgative, and are toxic to humans but an important food source to birds. The holly was historically used as winter fodder for sheep and cattle before alternative sources. [i]Ilex Aquifolium[/i] with a light dusting of snow: [img]https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/519AXsZZH0L._SX425_.jpg[/img] [b]Entry:[/b] [img]https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=1&body=59&bodygene=1&breed=4&element=10&eyetype=0&gender=1&tert=3&tertgene=17&winggene=1&wings=34&auth=7dd326ec57dcc4845fd14859cd7c9bc16ee950bb&dummyext=prev.png[/img] (morphology#362383)
Username: Onceler
Species: English Holly (Ilex Aquifolium)
Comment (Optional):
This is the holly most often associated with Christmas decorations, their cut branches are used for this purpose. The berries ripen during the winter. These berries are a purgative, and are toxic to humans but an important food source to birds. The holly was historically used as winter fodder for sheep and cattle before alternative sources.

Ilex Aquifolium with a light dusting of snow:

519AXsZZH0L._SX425_.jpg

Entry:

dragon?age=1&body=59&bodygene=1&breed=4&element=10&eyetype=0&gender=1&tert=3&tertgene=17&winggene=1&wings=34&auth=7dd326ec57dcc4845fd14859cd7c9bc16ee950bb&dummyext=prev.png

(morphology#362383)

oie.Pgg1_l68r_QDSN.png oie_q8_X06_TYk_S4g3.png
[b]Username: [/b]Joule [b]Theme: [/b]Day 3 - Winter Flowers and Berries [b]Species: [/b]Sea-Ice Algae [b]Entry Type: [/b]Visual [b]Comment (Optional): [/b] The example of marine invertebrates made me wonder... and so in looking around a bit I came across [url=https://academic.oup.com/icesjms/article-abstract/76/1/206/5138278]this paper[/url] titled "The contribution of ice algae to the winter energy budget of juvenile Antarctic krill in years with contrasting sea ice conditions," which led me to look into [url=https://www.nwf.org/Home/Magazines/National-Wildlife/2019/Feb-Mar/Animals/Sea-Ice-Algae]sea-ice algae[/url] (click through for the photo because I'm not on a good device to download and rehost the image). Although algae are not plants, they are often mistaken for them! From the article linked above: [i]Sea-ice algae lead mysterious lives. Some hang like slimy greenish-brown beards from the underside of ocean ice while others thrive in tiny brine channels that form when seawater freezes. Essential to the survival of creatures from tiny krill to penguins, seals, polar bears and blue whales, ice algae are also elusive. That’s why scientists sail to the ends of the Earth to study them...[/i] [b]Entry:[/b] Some sea-ice algae on a sea-ice banescale! [center][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=1&body=3&bodygene=49&breed=18&element=6&eyetype=0&gender=1&tert=153&tertgene=49&winggene=49&wings=3&auth=d3d71c22aa7080eb3c0a36f2934905ea33d404f7&dummyext=prev.png[/img] Ice/Ice/Algae ![/center]
Username: Joule

Species: Sea-Ice Algae

Comment (Optional):

The example of marine invertebrates made me wonder... and so in looking around a bit I came across this paper titled "The contribution of ice algae to the winter energy budget of juvenile Antarctic krill in years with contrasting sea ice conditions," which led me to look into sea-ice algae (click through for the photo because I'm not on a good device to download and rehost the image). Although algae are not plants, they are often mistaken for them!

From the article linked above:
Sea-ice algae lead mysterious lives. Some hang like slimy greenish-brown beards from the underside of ocean ice while others thrive in tiny brine channels that form when seawater freezes. Essential to the survival of creatures from tiny krill to penguins, seals, polar bears and blue whales, ice algae are also elusive. That’s why scientists sail to the ends of the Earth to study them...

Entry:

Some sea-ice algae on a sea-ice banescale!
dragon?age=1&body=3&bodygene=49&breed=18&element=6&eyetype=0&gender=1&tert=153&tertgene=49&winggene=49&wings=3&auth=d3d71c22aa7080eb3c0a36f2934905ea33d404f7&dummyext=prev.png

Ice/Ice/Algae !
yyymK1IKw5qjXOsi5KWbEU3vmJCvz_kpSzr_McjQ8C9nc0A2KTkNDTRmN6vOJc63W3GYPtIsZaNN8dlHvtUUJq_i-cgM9UZxqqmXVcI1LncqWSAX4QqbFrYGXtncojo23r-TQak0ZrPh4x77xZZsrw6E0UPSSXjhH7dxfaTxXUoDLsHerulWw71xWWoPc2hPONQJWQWLvLfybcvnBsJPdpXB71kZbSUhl13b69aEKOkqoMq84SEMTmQNwgQUIvnTOaECVjyJXTFWj16eGFU6Xwhkom8z1qgXdTw-PMNgELFy3HLXbmbcEy3aP0rrnff_IDtbP25mqjQssmOhXX3brWKyrjpw2h-0xChwHG374D31eoIB7_ER_2DMsnaR7tLfhO0Qgw0b1gLF8MaWuju6p74FySdO6qfhe1KGGm_LUIdrpnEir4MOUreWiHqgLZTR7dw6yhRHt-QqeMcObk0TI4v57Az4QqdB6z6wxyKMJmoU-Fsazvc1lPafJV_bqluyYUf2-RV0THf_a3v-iSi8b7cCiWrRAXVdKO6hVN4yNr9H4SRv0_5d2lwoHkA8-SuVN48KPMYXNbqMkS3qsD_jvvoQsUwsazgmXMBf8Xeef8xF7qdKUw5C8RUXDIGC5TA6YtAot_W9BoRsRvla3jAqrCKDUc5671EorYk7qxwOOs8b1aWnDC8Q2O8gUZhlM14ptHOFBM04SXK45o-iGxN8-Ij9MQ=w200-h100-no?.png KRuK6O9R_o.png 1xvoDtTGiALiFXcp031eamHZvGydh5IsVzErRTx1tkzR07khhnbn7iFFy8QcXv0IWDuKXeYoBQiw9JyC9INQ1IfJwsZa5CAiopYoRUm40byjdxMRTJ8O2AwG7-kkKTvVV62Y1-5qe5PLEp6AoTLlwTTQmSgtzRRPUoNkh1yvHwt0pW2TgP9xtzWUMASyebLTRQ87ohiyBNiNV5v6-PrAYFehM4lSMOeyfwYl1rmw1rtUVogCMgT4jQmlQiaNE_p850lmwniuFkeedthmdRfuBbzihhhnDiSN9G3jsaUb7XDu6bIAVgWwHY93z1AVn1q_nsywRBgo_gDs9fZM_sfy9OBUmYF7l00v3IaK3OI9PmpA0zCOwdFG2Ilr54rUSzLeW57JxNiceHgXXopgzJmRRzCQBto7GEDos0TpAQusEwXOKe--5ZHIphiRbnwUlPyDJD4uM3FFA_U4Wkj1qBrcVXdHQBxYLtFeXxYxHUMY5NYpAXZ_AKHgonR_dXEMnSwLnb83Jmx82Guf1Di5rSBZy2dQDw-QZjbGhv4LAnpo_pfF2q_xIp02jIP6S7O49hU4-D-5vjDmdBFXhn5Xnk8Bjkmc-hK6FTnxVkX-vxjMn7TdcU8W2mRZXA-vyknBDhRLXs1v7MvVFe41Hn0n9JHUpsGxx_ayS5jsOGolJAaga6E06xVVlfwI4IXKomlsT60rNPzo_eyIrKrDekI3Vwcb08DiGg=w200-h100-no?.png
Username: Pocketdog9
Theme: Day 3 - Winter Flowers & Berries
Species: American Persimmon (Diospyros virginiana)
Entry Type: Lore/Writing
Comment (Optional): Though persimmons are hardly the first thing one thinks of when given the word “berry,” according to the botanical definition, the fruits of the genus Diospyros certainly are. Though most persimmon tree species are native to Asia, this tree grows wild in North America and was originally cultivated by its indigenous people. In another subversion of folk plant knowledge, persimmons ripen in late fall and can stay on the tree during winter--in fact, frost may actually improve its otherwise-bitter taste significantly!
Entry:

https://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair&id=467595&tab=dragon&did=52420595

While the good naturalists and budding scientists ate and ate at the third day of the Sornieth Naturalists Society’s inaugural meet, a feathery dragon the color of melon flesh tended an edible garden in the shadow of a hilly meadow. Though most plants had already been harvested, plucked, cut, reaped, and binned, the delectable fruits of the locus amoenus’s persimmons remained, dripping in their natural bowers. Those lovely, strange-named (American?) Persimmons. The cantaloupe Coatl bustled underneath the fruit trees with frost-proof skirts, laying each innocent blanket around the roots of a blooming or once-blooming cultivar.

Of course, should Thahafruga--the gardener in question--have looked up, the shimmering on the top-most fruits would’ve told her that she should have started earlier.

Her familiar might’ve noticed, but her familiar was also brumating. Not every reptile had the thermoregulating capabilities of dragons. Decorated fans rustled against Thahafruga’s equally vibrant wings as if in acknowledgment of such a fact.

On her way back to the clan lair, she brushed a low windmill on the cusp of the grove. The creaking dual fan bumped a thin branch, and down fell a swift and ripe orange berry, which Thahafruga deftly caught in her mouth. A sweet fruit, tasting of frost and cheeriness, before it slipped its way down the piscivore’s throat.

The flavor wasn’t quite ready for a full harvest, but it was a start.

She’d have enough for when her family returned.
Username: Pocketdog9
Theme: Day 3 - Winter Flowers & Berries
Species: American Persimmon (Diospyros virginiana)
Entry Type: Lore/Writing
Comment (Optional): Though persimmons are hardly the first thing one thinks of when given the word “berry,” according to the botanical definition, the fruits of the genus Diospyros certainly are. Though most persimmon tree species are native to Asia, this tree grows wild in North America and was originally cultivated by its indigenous people. In another subversion of folk plant knowledge, persimmons ripen in late fall and can stay on the tree during winter--in fact, frost may actually improve its otherwise-bitter taste significantly!
Entry:

https://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair&id=467595&tab=dragon&did=52420595

While the good naturalists and budding scientists ate and ate at the third day of the Sornieth Naturalists Society’s inaugural meet, a feathery dragon the color of melon flesh tended an edible garden in the shadow of a hilly meadow. Though most plants had already been harvested, plucked, cut, reaped, and binned, the delectable fruits of the locus amoenus’s persimmons remained, dripping in their natural bowers. Those lovely, strange-named (American?) Persimmons. The cantaloupe Coatl bustled underneath the fruit trees with frost-proof skirts, laying each innocent blanket around the roots of a blooming or once-blooming cultivar.

Of course, should Thahafruga--the gardener in question--have looked up, the shimmering on the top-most fruits would’ve told her that she should have started earlier.

Her familiar might’ve noticed, but her familiar was also brumating. Not every reptile had the thermoregulating capabilities of dragons. Decorated fans rustled against Thahafruga’s equally vibrant wings as if in acknowledgment of such a fact.

On her way back to the clan lair, she brushed a low windmill on the cusp of the grove. The creaking dual fan bumped a thin branch, and down fell a swift and ripe orange berry, which Thahafruga deftly caught in her mouth. A sweet fruit, tasting of frost and cheeriness, before it slipped its way down the piscivore’s throat.

The flavor wasn’t quite ready for a full harvest, but it was a start.

She’d have enough for when her family returned.
Lupine||Xb6XvIZ.pngomhr10R.pnglAvpyOQ.pngJ7D1quC.pngn29EMdP.png
food_bloody_snapdragon_by_dogi_crimson-dag65m2.gif
~~
Nature Worldbuilding/Lore
Writing/Lore Shop
???
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please be gentle with me, I get stressed and anxious easily, and don't always pick up on meanings or social cues. I'm very detail-oriented & like to have all information possible before proceeding.
[b]Username: [/b]MandragoraAutumn [b]Theme: [/b]Winter Flowers & Berries [b]Species: [/b]Poinsettia / Christmas Star [b]Entry Type: [/b]Visual [b]Comment (Optional): [/b]Needless to say, those are associated with winter & especially Christmas. Their red leaves are actually just that - normal leaves! Not petals. I never thought about where they originate from, so I just found out the natural version of the plant grows at some places in Middle America & looks very different from the cultivated one - some are like bushy trees & they can grow to a height of 5m! :o Interesting to see this, when you only ever saw them as small potted plants. [b]Entry:[/b] [center][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=1&body=38&bodygene=0&breed=18&element=8&eyetype=0&gender=0&tert=132&tertgene=42&winggene=45&wings=62&auth=7a99b541ec2a2cf9ca6eab714dabde0c65090325&dummyext=prev.png[/img] [img]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/08/Euphorbia_pulcherrima_%28Barlovento%29_05.jpg[/img][/center]
Username: MandragoraAutumn
Theme: Winter Flowers & Berries
Species: Poinsettia / Christmas Star
Comment (Optional): Needless to say, those are associated with winter & especially Christmas. Their red leaves are actually just that - normal leaves! Not petals. I never thought about where they originate from, so I just found out the natural version of the plant grows at some places in Middle America & looks very different from the cultivated one - some are like bushy trees & they can grow to a height of 5m! :o Interesting to see this, when you only ever saw them as small potted plants.
Entry:
dragon?age=1&body=38&bodygene=0&breed=18&element=8&eyetype=0&gender=0&tert=132&tertgene=42&winggene=45&wings=62&auth=7a99b541ec2a2cf9ca6eab714dabde0c65090325&dummyext=prev.png
Euphorbia_pulcherrima_%28Barlovento%29_05.jpg
  • FR+9
  • 29y/o
  • they/them
[color=teal][b]Username: [/b] Sinjin [b]Theme: [/b] Day 3 - Winter Flowers and Berries [b]Species: [/b]Silk tassel bush - [i]Garrya elliptica[/i] [b]Entry Type: [/b] Visual [b]Comment (Optional): [/b]Native to the coastal ranges of California and southern Oregon. It flowers in late winter. [b]Entry:[/b] [columns][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/dressing-room/scry?sdid=363776&skin=0&apparel=22693,3689,22694,3641,3639,3640,3690,3702,3642,22696,22698,22699,22697,22695,22692,22700&xt=dressing.png[/img][nextcol][outfit=1019032][/columns] [img]https://www.whitehousenursery.com.au/content/product/full/garryaelliptica_evie.jpg[/img][size=0][url=https://www.whitehousenursery.com.au/trees-and-shrubs/display/453-garrya-elliptica-evie-silk-tassel-shrub]source[/url]
Username: Sinjin
Species: Silk tassel bush - Garrya elliptica
Comment (Optional): Native to the coastal ranges of California and southern Oregon. It flowers in late winter.
Entry:
scry?sdid=363776&skin=0&apparel=22693,3689,22694,3641,3639,3640,3690,3702,3642,22696,22698,22699,22697,22695,22692,22700&xt=dressing.png
Garrya elliptica
garryaelliptica_evie.jpgsource
8oOETBT.png Z85Oomo.png Game!
Wishlist
bN7rFE2.png 50307145.png Star a
Dragon
N24Y7nO.png
[center] [img]https://i.imgur.com/15b4y8D.png[/img] [center][font=arial][size=4][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/raf/2786531#post_2786531][color=#595f30]HOME[/url] | [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/raf/2786531#post_41469779][color=#595f30]HOW TO ENTER[/url] | [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/raf/2786531#post_41469782][color=#595f30]PRIZES[/url] | [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/raf/2786531#post_41469783][color=#595f30]BADGES[/url][/font][/size] | [font=arial][size=4][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/raf/2786531#post_41469805][color=#595f30]PINGLIST[/url][/font][/size] [/center] [img]https://i.imgur.com/15b4y8D.png[/img] [center][img]https://i.imgur.com/UVtzMDX.png[/img][/center] [b][font=arial][size=5][color=595f30]DAY FOUR[/font][/size][/color][/b] [columns][indent][nextcol][font=arial][size=5][color=595f30]Dr. Hazel unsuccessfully stifles a yawn as she squints through the magic lenses. "What exactly am I looking for again?" she asks. "Shh!" One of her companions, a dark green Coatl, hisses at her to be quiet. "You don't want to disturb them." Dr. Hazel, her question unanswered, continues searching... for what, she isn't sure. Two of the others in their party—the Ornithological Committee, which was just formed yesterday—have gone up ahead to get a closer look, perhaps even see the young in the nest. But the young [i]whats[/i]? The Coatl taps Dr. Hazel's shoulder and points. She puts the lenses down and follows the Coatl's gaze until she sees little heads with beaks and bits of fluff popping out of the nest and back in, like some kind of hatchling's toy. Dr. Hazel sucks in a breath. "They're so cute," she whispers. She can see the other two ornithologists carefully scaling the tree next to the nest. One is armed with a camera, hoping to get the perfect shot of the baby birds. A shadow flows across the ground for a split second, and Dr. Hazel's eyes dart up, casting about for the source. "Um... did you see that?" she says. "See what?" asks the Coatl, looking up from a notebook. "A shadow just passed, like something large was flying overhead. I don't think there are any other dragons this deep in the forest..." Dr. Hazel shrinks into herself a little, making sure she is well-shrouded in foliage. "Come on, don't you want to get a better look?" one of the ornithologists whisper-shouts, waving from near the nest. "I know I do," says the Coatl, carefully skulking through the underbrush to get closer. Dr. Hazel doesn't want to be left behind, though the prospect of dealing with the wrath of the parent birds—if that was what the shadow was—is daunting. But the Coatl has already disappeared into the thicket, the only signs of movement some shaking branches. Dr. Hazel crouches down and follows. The bushes aren't as thick as she expected and it's not too difficult to walk through them. "Maybe this wasn't such a bad idea," she says, and she can see the base of the tree the nest is on. Just a little more to go. Before she knows it, a monstrous screech reverberates in her ears and she feels buffeted by a force like an air blast to the gut. And then she is aloft. But it isn't she who is flying. Scaly grey legs clasp her legs and coat, leaving her dangling precariously. She spews a bolt of magic at the creature carrying her, which is enough to surprise it so that it loses its grip and drops her. She immediately pumps her wings with as much power as she can summon, just barely missing crashing into the canopy. It takes a moment to find the ornithologists, but she calls back and forth with them until they're reunited. She checks her clothing—a couple of rips, but that's to be expected when going into the forest anyway. "By the Shadowbinder... Are you alright?" asks another Coatl, lavender eyes wide. "I'm quite alright," says Dr. Hazel, and a smile starts to creep across her face, to her own shock. "You know... that was a bit more fun than I expected. I don't know why it picked me, though." "I might have an answer to that," says the first Coatl, and he looks around at the green and brown scales of the ornithologists. "Oh," says Dr. Hazel. She is not green, or brown. She is bright red.[nextcol] [indent] [/columns] [img]https://i.imgur.com/15b4y8D.png[/img] [font=arial][size=5][color=595f30] [b]Today's theme is Birds of Winter![/b] Here are today's prizes...[/font=arial][/size][/color] [item=Phoenix] [item=Hippojay] [font=arial][size=5][color=595f30]And today's badge, featuring the Snowy Owl, here depicted disguised as a reindeer.[/font][/size][/color] [img]https://i.imgur.com/SVDF6LO.png[/img] [img]https://i.imgur.com/15b4y8D.png[/img] [font=arial][size=5][color=595f30]The winner of yesterday's prize is @Arwen! Congratulations![/font=arial][/size][/color] ([url=https://imgur.com/a/pRJpie9][i]Click for proof.[/i][/url]) [img]https://i.imgur.com/15b4y8D.png[/img] @Thaddeusly @Falconair @Saraceaser @Rosewing @BlackSherruk @Onceler @Jumbledbyrd @ilexopaca @MoonlitCacti @Goldia @Pocketdog9 @Beaniebby20 @astereia @clm @puggles @idlewildly @linnet @MerlinMausi @cordifolium @davietoowavey @nauyak @tatobot @mageoflight @jbapple @Korwa @Loreka @LadyOfTheSkies @tigressRising @PixelBabe @Archaeoraptor @nika @ofendlessstars @mystimew @Shyia @myriadofstars @Sinjin @MandragoraAutumn @nitsuj @Endofighter @mistygold @Snipe @Noctem @Joule @suffragette @Dragonation @sgkat @xayxayx @Tyta @DraigTeg @Sidegrinder @scribblingface @brighteningskies @Gravebloom @eonia @sprinklequeen @Flayn
15b4y8D.png 15b4y8D.png
UVtzMDX.png
DAY FOUR

Dr. Hazel unsuccessfully stifles a yawn as she squints through the magic lenses. "What exactly am I looking for again?" she asks.

"Shh!" One of her companions, a dark green Coatl, hisses at her to be quiet. "You don't want to disturb them."

Dr. Hazel, her question unanswered, continues searching... for what, she isn't sure.

Two of the others in their party—the Ornithological Committee, which was just formed yesterday—have gone up ahead to get a closer look, perhaps even see the young in the nest. But the young whats?

The Coatl taps Dr. Hazel's shoulder and points. She puts the lenses down and follows the Coatl's gaze until she sees little heads with beaks and bits of fluff popping out of the nest and back in, like some kind of hatchling's toy.

Dr. Hazel sucks in a breath. "They're so cute," she whispers. She can see the other two ornithologists carefully scaling the tree next to the nest. One is armed with a camera, hoping to get the perfect shot of the baby birds.

A shadow flows across the ground for a split second, and Dr. Hazel's eyes dart up, casting about for the source. "Um... did you see that?" she says.

"See what?" asks the Coatl, looking up from a notebook.

"A shadow just passed, like something large was flying overhead. I don't think there are any other dragons this deep in the forest..." Dr. Hazel shrinks into herself a little, making sure she is well-shrouded in foliage.

"Come on, don't you want to get a better look?" one of the ornithologists whisper-shouts, waving from near the nest.

"I know I do," says the Coatl, carefully skulking through the underbrush to get closer. Dr. Hazel doesn't want to be left behind, though the prospect of dealing with the wrath of the parent birds—if that was what the shadow was—is daunting.

But the Coatl has already disappeared into the thicket, the only signs of movement some shaking branches. Dr. Hazel crouches down and follows. The bushes aren't as thick as she expected and it's not too difficult to walk through them. "Maybe this wasn't such a bad idea," she says, and she can see the base of the tree the nest is on. Just a little more to go.

Before she knows it, a monstrous screech reverberates in her ears and she feels buffeted by a force like an air blast to the gut. And then she is aloft. But it isn't she who is flying.

Scaly grey legs clasp her legs and coat, leaving her dangling precariously. She spews a bolt of magic at the creature carrying her, which is enough to surprise it so that it loses its grip and drops her. She immediately pumps her wings with as much power as she can summon, just barely missing crashing into the canopy.

It takes a moment to find the ornithologists, but she calls back and forth with them until they're reunited. She checks her clothing—a couple of rips, but that's to be expected when going into the forest anyway.

"By the Shadowbinder... Are you alright?" asks another Coatl, lavender eyes wide.

"I'm quite alright," says Dr. Hazel, and a smile starts to creep across her face, to her own shock. "You know... that was a bit more fun than I expected. I don't know why it picked me, though."

"I might have an answer to that," says the first Coatl, and he looks around at the green and brown scales of the ornithologists.

"Oh," says Dr. Hazel. She is not green, or brown.

She is bright red.

15b4y8D.png

Today's theme is Birds of Winter!

Here are today's prizes...

Phoenix Hippojay

And today's badge, featuring the Snowy Owl,
here depicted disguised as a reindeer.

SVDF6LO.png

15b4y8D.png

The winner of yesterday's prize is @Arwen!
Congratulations!

(Click for proof.)

15b4y8D.png

@Thaddeusly @Falconair @Saraceaser @Rosewing @BlackSherruk @Onceler @Jumbledbyrd @ilexopaca @MoonlitCacti @Goldia @Pocketdog9 @Beaniebby20 @astereia @clm @puggles @idlewildly @linnet @MerlinMausi @cordifolium @davietoowavey @nauyak @tatobot @mageoflight @jbapple @Korwa @Loreka @LadyOfTheSkies @tigressRising @PixelBabe @Archaeoraptor @nika @ofendlessstars @mystimew @Shyia @myriadofstars @Sinjin @MandragoraAutumn @nitsuj @Endofighter @mistygold @Snipe @Noctem @Joule @suffragette @Dragonation @sgkat @xayxayx @Tyta @DraigTeg @Sidegrinder @scribblingface @brighteningskies @Gravebloom @eonia @sprinklequeen @Flayn
Na5WGHa.png
1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 18 19