Back

Quests & Challenges

Quests, Challenges, and Festival games.
TOPIC | [Pinkerlocke] Chasing Immortality
1 2 ... 87 88 89 90 91 ... 96 97
RIP dergs. Hardly knew most of you. At least Tasman managed to get a nest out before her unfortunate passing. Lavender's going to have to step up if they are to lead their tiny group of Disciples.

I feel bad for all these deaths. RIP all who have passed. It was never meant to be.
RIP dergs. Hardly knew most of you. At least Tasman managed to get a nest out before her unfortunate passing. Lavender's going to have to step up if they are to lead their tiny group of Disciples.

I feel bad for all these deaths. RIP all who have passed. It was never meant to be.
QB1ezjo.pngpMh8rVE.png
@Disillusionist

Yeah, I really wanted to do more with the Ostrich/Faraday/Piano triangle, but the coli took Ostrich from me too soon...

These deaths are the last ones from my NOTN training! Death numbers will return to normal, until I do the final training push at the end of the locke. (I'm never doing a locke of this lethality again, most likely, but I do still want to see it through to the end as planned, and if any locke is going to have a large death count, it makes sense that it be my plague one).

@Aquasparky

Yeah, all the deaths this time around were dragons I was hoping would get more screentime once NOTN dwindled the numbers. All that potential lost storytelling hurts.
@Disillusionist

Yeah, I really wanted to do more with the Ostrich/Faraday/Piano triangle, but the coli took Ostrich from me too soon...

These deaths are the last ones from my NOTN training! Death numbers will return to normal, until I do the final training push at the end of the locke. (I'm never doing a locke of this lethality again, most likely, but I do still want to see it through to the end as planned, and if any locke is going to have a large death count, it makes sense that it be my plague one).

@Aquasparky

Yeah, all the deaths this time around were dragons I was hoping would get more screentime once NOTN dwindled the numbers. All that potential lost storytelling hurts.
b7742e507b7cf8e2cd71c4f2ffd5a17c3b9f9e2e.png 7ae5f576df9583faed137e7e0ca37146ab2a57b6.png
Gosh yeah these deaths must've sucked a lot, Ulfer and Ostrich had a lot of potential and same goes for the others. At least it's finally over!

And spoilers for the nests but IS THAT A WILDCLAW I SEE FROM THE SHUI NEST? The luck omg, and was the first one out of the nest too. And one of your New Years hatches is a one off XXY! I'm surprised you haven't even gotten a primal at this rate.
Gosh yeah these deaths must've sucked a lot, Ulfer and Ostrich had a lot of potential and same goes for the others. At least it's finally over!

And spoilers for the nests but IS THAT A WILDCLAW I SEE FROM THE SHUI NEST? The luck omg, and was the first one out of the nest too. And one of your New Years hatches is a one off XXY! I'm surprised you haven't even gotten a primal at this rate.
unEaUkh.png - She/they/xe
- Tales of Eotera (Lore Thread)
9fbec014932d0afc30da6fd2c36bc2ad26496952.png
@Lixue

They really did. We'll have another slew of deaths at the end of the locke when I spend the last month or two in the coli until everyone is either dead or level 25. I'm never doing a locke of this lethality again, but it has been fun an interesting this time around, though very, very heartwrenching.

I KNOW RIGHT??? SOLOMON BEAT THE ODDS SO WELL, HE MANAGED TO HIT THE "IMPOSSIBLE ODDS CLAUSE" WHICH MEANT HE WAS GUARANTEED TO SURVIVE THE COINFLIP. AGAINST A MIRROR, LIKE WOW!!!!
@Lixue

They really did. We'll have another slew of deaths at the end of the locke when I spend the last month or two in the coli until everyone is either dead or level 25. I'm never doing a locke of this lethality again, but it has been fun an interesting this time around, though very, very heartwrenching.

I KNOW RIGHT??? SOLOMON BEAT THE ODDS SO WELL, HE MANAGED TO HIT THE "IMPOSSIBLE ODDS CLAUSE" WHICH MEANT HE WAS GUARANTEED TO SURVIVE THE COINFLIP. AGAINST A MIRROR, LIKE WOW!!!!
b7742e507b7cf8e2cd71c4f2ffd5a17c3b9f9e2e.png 7ae5f576df9583faed137e7e0ca37146ab2a57b6.png
Wow. NOTN was sure brutal... So many twists and turns! So many changes in power too... I'm excited to see what new dynamics this ends up creating~
Wow. NOTN was sure brutal... So many twists and turns! So many changes in power too... I'm excited to see what new dynamics this ends up creating~
@Sabariel

It really was! I'm excited to write more to explore the post-NOTN dynamics! I just have to finish some bios for dragons I am introducing during the mail day!
@Sabariel

It really was! I'm excited to write more to explore the post-NOTN dynamics! I just have to finish some bios for dragons I am introducing during the mail day!
----- [center][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/3244658/88#post_55972491]Previous[/url][/center] ----- [center][b][u]Day 73: Mail Day![/u][/b] [item=bronze fabric scrap] Sentence: Writing [i](Heads up, this ended up being a super long chapter, I wrote it to catch up on the last of things from NOTN, such a new hatches and nests from this week's pursuits.)[/i][/center] ----- [center][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/90071356][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/dressing-room/dragon?did=90071356&skin=0&apparel=1707,26868,26869,26872&xt=dressing.png[/img][/url][/center] [center][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/90872136][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/dressing-room/dragon?did=90872136&skin=0&apparel=12897,47037,17928,21845&xt=dressing.png[/img][/url][/center] “Hey, are you okay?” Joshe asked. He had sensed something was off with Jubilee, he had for a long time. And that had only increased since their friend, Armageddon died. Joshe felt that loss strongly too, though he did not know the undertide well. It was part of having the clan as his charge, every death felt like a deep, personal loss. But he had not brought that up with Jubilee. It was insensitive, he felt. That said, he could feel their hurt as if it was his own, both from his own personal charge loss, and his empathy for Jubilee as another aspect of his charge. So, he had made a point to check in regularly, especially when they seemed down, like today. “I appreciate you always checking in on me,” Jubilee smiled sadly. “I’m okay. Just missing Armageddon today. He would know what to say with my doubts and questions.” “You can ask me,” Joshe offered. “I may not know the answer, but I would be happy to listen.” “You have been a good friend to me,” Jubilee acknowledged. “I suppose it would help to open up.” They took a deep breath. “You see, I was born with a destiny, told I would oppose a great evil. I’ve always wanted to be just an ordinary dragon, so I ran. I’ve been running for a long time. But now I’m [i]here[/i], and even though I have yet to participate in a challenge, I feel like I can’t leave, and I just can’t help but feel I’m landed in my fate anyways, like maybe the great evil I’m supposed to face is Shui. And I don’t know how I’m ever going to be strong enough for that.” “That’s big,” Joshe said. He had to say he was not expecting [i]that[/i] as an answer. “I can see why you would be overwhelmed, especially if you’ve lost your main friend and support.” “I don’t want to do this alone,” Jubilee admitted. “Do you have to?” Joshe asked. “No, nothing that I know of my fate says I have to do it alone,” Jubilee sighed. “I just don’t want to put it on anyone.” “I’ll help you,” Joshe blurted out. He was not sure what made him say that. He knew perfectly well that having The Disciples as his charge meant Shui as well. He knew he would find it difficult, if not impossible, to lay a claw on him. But there was something special about Jubilee, something more than charge feelings. It was similar to how he felt about Ouro, when he thought about it. He did not have time to dwell on this more, as his conversation with Jubilee was interrupted by Valoo sweeping down from the sky. It was that time of year, Joshe realized. Even without a challenge, they were due for mail. “Hello!” Valoo grinned widely. “I’ve got a letter for you, so when I saw you out behind this tent, I figured I should deliver it to you right away!” The obelisk scanned to look at Jubilee. “Sorry, am I interrupting something?” “No, don’t worry about it,” Jubilee waved him off. “I should get going. But… thanks Joshe. It means a lot.” There was something deeper in her words, and Joshe realized with a flushed face that as a skydancer, they could probably sense Joshe’s attraction to them. At least, it didn’t seem to turn them off? At least not from what he could tell. He quickly took the letter from Valoo, trying to distract himself from how the interaction had ended. “Thank you. Will you be around for dinner tonight? I’m making a chowder.” “You think I would miss one of my brother’s famous recipes?” Valoo laughed. “I’ll be there, you can count on me! But first, I have more mail to deliver!” The obelisk took off, leaving Joshe with the letter. It was a thick one, and he was excited. It took some time to track down his family members. His parents were easy enough, they were tending to a new nest. But he could not find Jarna or Hime. He would have to catch them later. [center][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/87492303][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/dressing-room/dragon?did=87492303&skin=0&apparel=18030,35549,26274,5165,5402&xt=dressing.png[/img][/url][/center] [center][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/82229072][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/dressing-room/dragon?did=82229072&skin=0&apparel=25058,25059,25060,25061,25062,25063&xt=dressing.png[/img][/url][/center] So, he found himself in his parents’ tent, reading the letter out to them as they tended to a nest of two eggs. [quote]Oh. Oh! Joshe—and everyone else! I can't believe I found you! I always knew, of course, that my moms weren't my biological parents, but when they told me I was found abandoned in the Plaguelands, I thought... well I never expected such a large family and warm letter! Okay, okay, well, firstly: my love to you all. I unfortunately don't really remember anyone, really, but I could never not return such warmth, even in a letter. A little more individually, I will say: To Izel: I will keep those words close to heart. I am still figuring out who I am, but once I do, I will be sure to embrace it—them? me?—wholeheartedly! I am very lucky that my clan, family, and friends are all incredibly open and understanding, so I have a great deal of support around me. To Ishtar: I am extremely grateful for all the information about this curse. My moms are especially relieved at the news that its harmless. I think Ma's biggest concern was that it was part of the reason I was left alone in the Wastes, so its good to hear that the two aren't related, and now we have information! And, for the record, I wholeheartedly believe the only "ugly" one in this whole equation would be the curse-caster. Unfortunately for Jarna, I don't have much in the way of stories about the world at large. I don't even remember the Scarred Wasteland, and haven't left the clan's territory since coming here, let along the Windswept Plateau. Its really nice here, though. The air is always moving, always clean, and the bamboo groves are home to all sorts of creatures and dragons. Every time I think I've heard of all there is out there, I find out about more! I almost feel as if its by design, if the constant joy of exploration and discovery is part of the spirit of the Flight. If that's the case, maybe I should get out more... But, while I can't personally attest to anywhere else, most of my clanmates come from other regions. I can see about rustling up some of their accounts and sending them along. And, Jarna, I know you're stuck in the challenges for a while yet, but if you have any interest in coming to the Plateau once you're free to do so, just hunt for the Wayward Winds. They—and I!—will welcome you with open wings for as long as you wish to stay! In fact, that offer is open to any of you. I would love to meet family, though six years is maybe a while to wait... Which, speaking of my clan, perhaps it is not my place to say but. To Hime: I have learned a lot about forgiveness and second chances as a part of the Wayward Winds. I don't know what happened between you and the rest of the family, but I've seen, even among strangers, that there's room for forgiveness. And oftentimes, the hardest part is letting yourself be forgiven. Though, I am speaking entirely without context, so forgive me if I'm speaking out of turn. And finally, Joshe—thank you. For writing the letter, for letting me know that my—our—family is out there, and for the insight into my charge. I'm drawn more to certain dragons than others, so I'm not sure if my charge is the entire clan—considering it, it doesn't feel right, like there's still a piece missing—but its good to know the history of our family. Maybe some further looking into it will help me discover the full nature of my charge. And I wish you luck with yours. It sounds like you have a difficult road ahead of you.[/quote] What followed next was written in a slightly different ink, or to be set slightly less into the parchment, as if it were added later. [quote]It has been itching at me for a number of days now. Knowing I have family out there... I want to meet you. But you mentioned a ritual keeping you from leaving? That gives me pause, especially with my charge here, yet unknown. If there is a way, though, that I might have the chance to meet you and the rest of our family without being caught up, please, let me know. And if there is no way, then please, let me know if there's anything I can do from here to help. I may be a ways away, but I can't just sit idly by while my family struggles. Please, stay safe and take care. -Jacinto [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=90071354][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/900714/90071354p.png[/img][/url][/quote] There was a third variant of ink, adding on a final piece to the letter. [quote]P.S.: I talked to some of my clanmates and got them to write about where they lived in some of the other regions of Sornieth. Zoisite wrote about her former kingdom in the Sunbeam Ruins, and Nix's information comes from his birth clan's travels all across the Southern Icefield. If Jarna would like, I can try and get some more for when I next write![/quote] After reading out the letter to his parents, Joshe left them to continue tending to the nest. Normally, he would offer his help - he was excited at the prospect of new siblings. But he had a letter to write in response, and food to cook. Not to mention giving the letter to Hime and Jarna to read when he figured out where they went. So, Joshe retired to his own tent, and began to write. [quote]Jacinto, Thank you for you long letter! It is fantastic to hear from you again! All of us have made it thought Night of the Nocturne intact. It turned out to be an incredibly lethal time of year. We thought we were going to get a break from the challenges, but things ended up much, much worse. The family survived though, so I guess I have that to be thankful for, even if I lost many dragons I consider to be my charge. It was… a difficult time for me. But even more so for the loved ones of the dragons we lost. It excites me to hear about what you are discovering about your charge! It has become something I’ve become somewhat invested in. I think about you often, and wonder if you have figured it out yet. I would love to hear when you find out the exact nature of your charge, and would love to help in any way I can. As for ways you can help, honestly the best way you can help is to stay safe and stay far away from the challenges. I would hate for you to become involved too, or to lose you as well. I know that probably does not ease your anxiety for our fate, but coming here will only put yourself in danger, and not lessen our own. I hope you are well. I will be sure to pass on the accounts of your friend’s travels to Jarna, she will love them! Joshe[/quote] As he sealed the letter, he thought again of Jubilee. He wondered if he should mention something about them. But then again, he had not yet spoken to Ouro about if he would be interested in adding to their relationship, or if Jubilee would even be interested in that. So, he left it be. Besides, he had cooking to do. [center][img]https://64.media.tumblr.com/9a138c26554e324936484ade5021b573/280633acce0f81d9-f0/s540x810/4749c14343af35096e06119b885d7bc79977c4c5.png[/img][/center] [center][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/90071355][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/dressing-room/dragon?did=90071355&skin=0&apparel=952,21851,21852,21857,21858,24709,24710,24743&xt=dressing.png[/img][/url][/center] Jarna felt light and floaty. She had had the most wonderful time. The two eggs she cradled close to her body were evidence of that. It was strange to think she would soon have more siblings [i]and[/i] some children of her own. [center][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/87416622][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/dressing-room/dragon?did=87416622&skin=0&apparel=293,475,448,291,332,294,10375&xt=dressing.png[/img][/url][/center] Juan nuzzled her as she went. “Thank you for your time,” he murmured. “I will not forget this. And if vampire children become too much to handle, The Disciples of Grimm are happy to raise them.” Jarna opened her mouth to invite Juan to move in with her among The Disciples of Ishtar, but thought better of it. She had only met Juan today. And one thing had led to another very quickly. Jarna was not usually the sort to move so fast, but she was smitten with him. She hoped this would be the start of something wonderful. Juan walked her to the mouth of the cave that the vampire coven lived in, but no further. As she was leaving the territory of The Disciples of Grimm, two wildclaw vampires swooped down next to her. [center][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/91995754][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/dressing-room/dragon?did=91995754&skin=0&apparel=41631,815,45167,45183,45178,21814&xt=dressing.png[/img][/url][/center] [center][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/91995755][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/dressing-room/dragon?did=91995755&skin=0&apparel=15750,15701,15715,15693,15718,15726,15747&xt=dressing.png[/img][/url][/center] “You know, this happy family you are dreaming of? It’s never going to happen,” Mavid said, face shaped in a mock frown. “I’m sorry, you don’t know what Juan and I just shared,” Jarna shot back. “No, I think you’ll find that you don’t know Juan,” Rouge laughed. “You see, Juan is like me. Romance and commitment make us feel icky. We live for those moments of passion, but nothing more. The only difference is that he is in it for the affection, I’m in it as a hunting method. I just figured you should know. He probably thought he was clear, but I know what these emotions do to hearts like yours.” “But Juan said-” Jarna said. “Juan didn’t say anything. It’s just these pesky emotions and attachments,” Mavid interrupted. “Now, take our advice as a gift, and be grateful we are not draining your blood. Your bond, however brief, with Juan earns you that much.” “But don’t expect it next time you come around,” Rouge laughed. “Unless, of course, you are bringing the vampire spawn in those eggs to us. We do need more numbers, after Vastha’s mother came and took her to her clan.” “No, I’ll raise them myself, thank you very much,” Jarna said, tone sharper than she intended. Looking back, Juan [i]hadn’t[/i] said anything about a serious relationship, but that didn’t make her heart break any less. The future she had imagined with Juan was shattered, the very least she could keep was her children. She left quickly, trying to stop herself from crying. But mud tears trailed down her face regardless. When she got home, she made her way to her tent. She didn’t want her family to see how foolish she had been, not until she had pulled herself together. She was pleasantly surprised to see two pieces of parchment on her table. That would be a good distraction! She picked them up and read them. [quote][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=90133889][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/901339/90133889p.png[/img][/url] Jacinto tells me he is trying to get accounts of other parts of Sornieth to send to his sister. Only fitting he should come to me to hear of the Sunbeam Ruins and the glory that it holds—or once held, as the shining beacon of my kingdom, the Polished City, is likely no more. It was a sight to behold, in its prime. The streets may as well have been paved in gleaming silver, for how they shone, and marble towers traced in gold rose high above even the tallest dragons. There was wealth in every step, and the city shone with it. It was a beacon on the horizon, no matter how the light hit it—though, of course, it could never rival the Lightweaver, may Her name be praised. At the very center of the city lay the seat of the kingdom, the Golden Citadel. More a castle than a fortress, during my stay, but all else is true. Inlaid with beautifully polished gold, the Citadel sat overlooking the entire city, a place to see and be seen. Despite all the towers throughout the Polished City, no place was higher than the royal chambers of the Citadel. I spent many, many hours upon my balcony, looking out over my accomplishments below. The city stretched on for as far as the eye could see, and it hummed from corner to corner. Nowhere could you go without hearing the buzz of chatter. It was the place to go to find wealth and glory. Anyone could make it to the top—limited only by how cutthroat you were. It was a place of opportunity, for those willing to fight for it. A hub of trade and education, a military power. Whatever you desired in the Polished City, you could have, with enough work. I made it so. I made it a city of success. We had never known such glory until I sat on the throne. That was the glory of the Sunbeam Ruins, the jewel of Light territory, until those ungracious dogs—[/quote] The parchment ends there. Jarna began to shuffle through the papers to see if there was more, and a smaller piece of parchment fell from behind it, covered in Jacinto’s handwriting. [quote]She’s still having a hard time adjusting to life here, even as long as she's been in the clan. I figured I’d spare you her spouting about the ‘injustices she faced’ for another three pages, as there was nothing relevant about the Sunbeam Ruins or any other Flight territory to be found in her ravings. -J[/quote] Jarna chuckled, already feeling a bit better, and turned to read the second account. [quote]I have been asked by Jacinto to give my account of what I remember of the Southern Icefields. Zephira recommended me, from what I am told, though I am sorry to say I may not remember too much compared to someone like Dove, as I was quite young when I left. But I suppose I would give a better account than Jenx, so I shall do my best. It is a frigid land, as you could likely assume, seeing as it is the realm of Ice. Inhospitable to many dragons—even Ice-born clans struggle to survive in some of the farthest reaches of the Icefield. My birth clan was one of nomads, but also staunch believers in the purity of Ice. Fire was a necessary evil, and to be used as sparingly as possible. During colder years, such as Ice, Wind, Shadow, and what has now been dubbed “the Night of the Nocturne,” we would remain in the northern parts of the region while the ice floes were stronger, more cohesive. But the energies were still inconsistent, even when the ice was visibly whole. I often had to guide my clan’s steps around many dangerous pitfalls, as falling into the frigid waters during the cold years could be disastrous, especially for the hatchlings. The Snowsquall Tundra was abundant with energy—at least, comparatively—and was a bounty of prey and forage. We would often spend more… middling years, here, while the ice up north was too thin to tread upon, and the blizzards to the south were too harsh to traverse. Here, during years ripe with Nature, Plague, Earth, and Arcane magic, we would hunt and forage, replenishing our food stores for when we next journeyed beyond the Tundra. These years were often when our clan’s size would drastically increase, and many nests were left behind in the evergreen forests at the foot of the mountains. Which is not to say that all nests occurred during these neutral years. My parents—for some reason only the Eleven know—hatched me on the ice floes during a year of Shadow. During the warmest years of the cycle, Fire, Light, and Lightning (though I would hesitate to say that Lightning was warmer, just that the blizzards were lessened as clouds moved elsewhere to produce harsher thunderstorms), we would venture out onto the Reclaimer’s Glacier. We were one of few clans who ever did—and with good reason. Even during these warmer times, the blizzard was unrelenting, and it's a wonder that even my clan ventured beyond the mountains, though we did not go far, lest we get lost in the featureless landscape. I never had to check the energy of the ice for weak spots on the glacier—it was always solid and unyielding. Probably for the best, as I wouldn’t have been able to tell over the cacophony of Ice that permeated the area. It was enough to almost drown out my senses. It’s only many years later that I found out that it was likely due to the presence of the Gaolers and their frozen charges deep below. I do hope that was useful information, and that it will help tide you over, Jarna, until you are able to roam free of your own volition. At Jacinto’s behest, I have attempted a reading for you and, while the flames are hard to predict for those I have no connection to, your name has provoked visions of open skies and strong tailwinds. Though please, bear in mind that the future is uncertain, even for those of us that can glimpse it. -Nix [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=10561637][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/105617/10561637p.png[/img][/url][/quote] Jarna smiled. Now, she was feeling much better. It [i]was[/i] foolish to expect more from Juan than what she had shared with him. And the world was so much wider than what - and who - was here. She knew she would read these stories over and over again. She already wanted to reread them, but first, she should write back. [quote]Jacinto, Thanks for getting your friends to write all that for me! It truly is a gift, and makes being trapped here so much more bearable. Please, let them know how much I appreciated it, and if you can get more stories of other flights, or even new stories of the same flights, you would be my favourite dragon in the whole world. Your sister, Jarna.[/quote] [center][img]https://64.media.tumblr.com/9a138c26554e324936484ade5021b573/280633acce0f81d9-f0/s540x810/4749c14343af35096e06119b885d7bc79977c4c5.png[/img][/center] [center][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/26684600][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/dressing-room/dragon?did=26684600&skin=0&apparel=31965,391,31588,429,10962,386,423&xt=dressing.png[/img][/url][/center] Capriccio stared at the letter that had been delivered to him, shaking. He was not sure if it were real, or if it were some cruel joke that Myca were playing on him. Still, it was in Zarzuela’s handwriting. He did not understand how his mentor would be able to replicate that so perfectly. [quote]My dearest Capriccio, I pray this letter [spoiler]_____[/spoiler] our children safely and in good health. I'm not sure [spoiler]_____[/spoiler] has passed since [spoiler]__________[/spoiler]. The last thing I recall is sitting in the tent [spoiler]___________[/spoiler] I have only vague impressions of being carried across the sand and hearing [spoiler]_____[/spoiler] I was taken in by a traveling clan [spoiler]_____[/spoiler] in their care. My dearest, I hope this letter eases [spoiler]_____[/spoiler] what became of me. [spoiler]_____[/spoiler] wish I could do more. How have things been since I was taken away? [spoiler]_____[/spoiler] Viva, Tetra, and Scallop [spoiler]___[/spoiler] before I lost consciousness. Are they safe? [spoiler]__[/spoiler] send word [spoiler]___________[/spoiler] can write your letter on the back of this sheet[spoiler]_____[/spoiler] I love and miss all of you [spoiler]_____[/spoiler] Please give our children my love, and embrace [spoiler]_____[/spoiler] Your loving wife, always, Zarzuela [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=24340611][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/243407/24340611p.png[/img][/url][/quote] Capriccio looked at it more closely, trying to discern what the damaged parts of the letter said, to no avail. Tears were running down his face now. He longed for his wife’s embrace. He wanted so badly to believe she was alive somehow, but after all he had suffered these past years, he was not sure if he could. He could not even bring himself to look at his mirror, fearing he would see the rotting remains of her body instead of seeing her warm and safe and happy. Still, real or not, he could not go without a response. He could not do that to her. And Myca had enough to hold over his head that if the letter was her work, he did not care if she had one more thing to laugh at him about. [quote]My darling Zarzuela, After news of your death reached me, I never imagined I would hear from you again. Yet, here you are. I must admit, not all of the letter was legible, I think some parts got damaged in transit. Now that you are no longer around for me to check on in the mirror, I cannot see how our children are doing outside of the lab. However, Scallop has come and joined me as Myca’s second apprentice. Xi seems quite happy, though xi has been shamelessly bragging about poisoning your tea. Xi is to blame for your fate, I hate to inform you, but you deserve to know what happened. I cannot help but blame myself. If I had not drawn attention to you by meeting you in person during the challenges, and if we had not had eggs during that time… it is awful to wish a child of yours had not been born, but to know that you would likely still be here if Scallop had not - [spoiler](here, there is a large ink blot, as if Capriccio were covering something up.)[/spoiler] Forgive me. What’s done is done, and I do not regret any of our [spoiler]other[/spoiler] children. I just hope to know your embrace once more, and to reunite our families. I thought you dead, so if you are truly alive and not a trick, that would be a miracle. Capriccio[/quote] [center][img]https://64.media.tumblr.com/9a138c26554e324936484ade5021b573/280633acce0f81d9-f0/s540x810/4749c14343af35096e06119b885d7bc79977c4c5.png[/img][/center] [quote]Quetzali, I figured I should write you again with another update. Things are settling down. The more time passes, the more I accept that my family does in fact care for me, and forgive me for my betrayals against them. Perhaps, someday soon, I can forgive myself. Speaking of which, I have taken a leaf out of your book and changed my breed. The pull of Shui was too strong, and while I have no real desire to go back to him, I do not trust the instincts so ingrained in me with him as my charge. So, the best way I could think to erase those charge feelings was to remove my ability to have a charge. Of course, those feelings never completely go away, but they are significantly weaker and easier to resist. I no longer feel that if I had to choose between protecting Shui or protecting my family, I would doom my family to die. I have chosen to become a pearlcatcher. It is a strange feeling, coughing up a pearl and feeling the goop ooze from my mouth when emotions are strong, but I was drawn to the idea of a pearl as a vessel for my memories. I never want to forget the harm I caused, or what I have gained now that I have turned away from Shui. Carrying around a physical manifestation of myself and those memories seemed the best way to remind myself who I really am. We are over halfway through these challenges now. With any luck, I may be able to return home once all this is done. With love, Hime.[/quote] [center][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/85652760][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/dressing-room/dragon?did=85652760&skin=0&apparel=552,1547,4788,334,442,13819&xt=dressing.png[/img][/url][/center] Hime closed the letter, feeling a sense of satisfaction. Her writing looked a little different, now that her hands were a different shape, but she felt more herself than she had in a long time. If only Hansel could see her now. She hoped he would be proud of her. [center][img]https://64.media.tumblr.com/9a138c26554e324936484ade5021b573/280633acce0f81d9-f0/s540x810/4749c14343af35096e06119b885d7bc79977c4c5.png[/img][/center] [center][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/87416641][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=1&body=168&bodygene=233&breed=20&element=2&eyetype=2&gender=1&tert=136&tertgene=104&winggene=104&wings=74&auth=912781fb423472036cbac49fc75ab9b22cab0cdd&dummyext=prev.png[/img][/url][/center] [center][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/89994784][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=1&body=96&bodygene=97&breed=20&element=2&eyetype=0&gender=0&tert=92&tertgene=211&winggene=97&wings=42&auth=6630e88952590cd99770b9ca4a6aecb4b7387f85&dummyext=prev.png[/img][/url][/center] “What do you mean you’re leaving?” Mato asked. They were glad they had woken up when they had, otherwise they would have missed the other aberration sneaking away. “Look, Mato. You are wonderful, and I enjoyed our night together last night, but I’m not the sort of dragon to stick in one place, with one dragon.” Fect explained. “I know that, but I thought maybe you would stay a bit longer.” Mato’s voice cracked. “I have no interest in The Plaguemother’s Spurned. I have not been spurned by the Plaguebringer, she gave me a job and I am spurning her.” Fect said. “Is that all this is, a distraction?” Mato said, voice raising. They didn’t know why this was bothering them so much, why they felt like they had been abandoned before, but it was hitting them harder than they had expected. “Look, Mato. You are a nice dragon, and maybe I’ll be back. But this isn’t the place for me. And you can’t wait for me, because I’ve had a lot of flings, and I am going to have lots more before I am ready to settle down at all, if I’m going to settle down at all. I’m sorry if this is going to let you down, but I did say it very clearly before things got too serious.” “You did,” Mato admitted with a sigh. “I’m just going to miss you.” Fect did not respond to Mato, and something in her faces looked pained and uncomfortable. Mato watched her go, trying to ignore the panic and loneliness that clawed at their chest. It was not until Mato returned to their bed that they noticed the eggs. [center][img]https://64.media.tumblr.com/9a138c26554e324936484ade5021b573/280633acce0f81d9-f0/s540x810/4749c14343af35096e06119b885d7bc79977c4c5.png[/img][/center] [center][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/30081270][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/dressing-room/dragon?did=30081270&skin=0&apparel=29244,32034,768,23290,28149,32705,32701,744&xt=dressing.png[/img][/url][/center] Shui did not care for the hatching of his nest with Tasman. He would care, when his children were old enough to be trained, to be shaped. But in these early stages, he usually found someone else in his clan to dump them off with. Still, he found himself somehow present as the eggs cracked. He watched as three mirrors poured out of their shells, but he did not have eyes for them. No, all he cared about was his son. A beautiful wildclaw, emerging from his shell, against all odds. This had to mean something, Shui knew it. This child was perfect, he would have a great destiny. Finally, a child that he could be properly proud of. [center][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/92266167][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=0&body=136&bodygene=11&breed=10&element=2&eyetype=1&gender=0&tert=117&tertgene=7&winggene=22&wings=99&auth=230dedf9ba72ac707e976538fb58babc219d3a2f&dummyext=prev.png[/img][/url][/center] [center][img]https://64.media.tumblr.com/9a138c26554e324936484ade5021b573/280633acce0f81d9-f0/s540x810/4749c14343af35096e06119b885d7bc79977c4c5.png[/img][/center] [center][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/90867249][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=1&body=41&bodygene=240&breed=24&element=9&eyetype=1&gender=0&tert=65&tertgene=244&winggene=251&wings=57&auth=e1e17ea6c68c9311753b13c6bef800543768f90c&dummyext=prev.png[/img][/url][/center] Runik had been having all sorts of emotions as the nest incubated, many he did not care to admit or acknowledge for too long. Besides, it was not his nest. The nest belonged to Arkose and Crocodile. And even if Crocodile may not be cut out to be a mom, Arkose was. And he was glad Arkose was finally going to raise the family she had wanted. But the moment Runik laid eyes on Yuka, he knew. He was just as much that child’s parent as Arkose and Crocodile. He didn’t need to be in a relationship with either of them for that. He knew instantly that he would do anything for the child, and that she was his daughter. [center][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/92266171][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=0&body=144&bodygene=261&breed=24&element=2&eyetype=0&gender=1&tert=101&tertgene=238&winggene=261&wings=85&auth=e2f2c2cd81b5725638c463ee092e2509bbf1b049&dummyext=prev.png[/img][/url][/center] [center][img]https://64.media.tumblr.com/9a138c26554e324936484ade5021b573/280633acce0f81d9-f0/s540x810/4749c14343af35096e06119b885d7bc79977c4c5.png[/img][/center] [center][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/91947017][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/dressing-room/dragon?did=91947017&skin=0&apparel=35543,3634,23083,23082,3632,28807,3698,3686&xt=dressing.png[/img][/url][/center] [center][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/91947016][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/dressing-room/dragon?did=91947016&skin=0&apparel=6032,6026,749,2318,10752&xt=dressing.png[/img][/url][/center] Taverns had always been a favourite stop of Firework’s, so when the brothers saw that there was a tavern on a riverboat in the middle of the barren land of the Scarred Wasteland, of course they had to stop in. But now Firework was chatting up a snapper he had met at the bar, leaving Resolution alone at his table, with plenty of time to think. He did not know exactly how, in all their travels, he had ended up here. Bartholomew, the serthis guard his dads had sent them with, had suggested they turn around many times, find a safer flight. But that was easier said than done, as the brothers had soon found themselves lost. [center][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/static/cms/familiar/art/21425.png[/img][/center] “We should get moving again soon. The sooner we get out of this dangerous place, the better. What am I going to tell the kings if you get killed out here?” Bartholomew grumbled. “Relax, Firework is just doing his thing. He’ll have his fun with the snapper, and then he’ll move on. And we can move on.” Resolution reminded the guard. “Besides, this tavern is the safest place we’ve been since reaching the Plague Flight. It won’t hurt to spend more time here.” “I guess not, my liege,” Bartholomew sighed. “I just worry.” “That’s good, it’s your job to worry. It’s my job to learn more about the world and figure out what I need to do to be comfortable being king when my dads die,” Resolution said. “And it’s Firework’s job to flirt with every eligible dragon on Sornieth?” Bartholomew grumbled. “Precisely,” Resolution teased. He saw a flash in the serthis’ eye. Bartholomew was very traditional, and did not approve of Firework’s antics. “He’s going to have to be careful, or he will end up with a nest sooner or later. We can’t have royal blood spreading willy-nilly.” Bartholomew sighed. “Well, technically, Firework and I are adopted, so it’s only as much royal blood as we decide it is. Besides, I’m the heir, not Firework. We would both have to die before any children of his were to end up next in line for the throne, and that’s assuming that my dads don’t adopt a new heir.” Resolution pointed out. Bartholomew did not have time to complain more, as Firework was racing over to the table, the snapper following behind him. [center][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/86154300][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/dressing-room/dragon?did=86154300&skin=0&apparel=1152,546,6032,331,323,491,439&xt=dressing.png[/img][/url][/center] “Resolution, Bartholomew, this is Octavia!” Firework grinned. “She must be special, I don’t usually get to meet your flings,” Resolution teased. “That’s because Octavia has a place for us to stay tonight! She’s leader of a clan, actually, she describes it as a whole other kingdom! We can stay there as long as we want!” Firework exclaimed. “It would sure beat trying to build a shelter out of bones another night.” “Are the rooms in the tavern not suitable?” Bartholomew grumbled. “Come on, Bart, don’t you want to be in a castle again?” Firework asked. “Stop calling me Bart,” Bartholomew huffed. “But yes, I suppose you are right. I miss decadence and comfort and dignity.” “If Octavia is the queen of the clan, I don’t think she’s one for dignity, considering she’s messing around with Firework.” Resolution whispered to Bartholomew. The old serthis’ face grew red. “Then it’s settled, you are coming with me.” Octavia grinned. Firework cheered and grabbed onto Octavia, leaning into her affectionately. Resolution smiled to himself, and followed the happy couple along, entirely aware of how much more reluctantly Bartholomew was following. ----- [center][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/3244658/90#post_56071588]Next[/url][/center] ----- [center]@pinglist-3016[/center] ----- And thus brings us to the end of NOTN officially. All the dragons that have been hatched during that time, including my New Year's hatches, have been introduced. I will say, I'm never doing this level of lethality for a locke again, most likely. I'm thinking in future years I may use NOTN as free training, and only do deaths for official Coli pulls, because having a goal in the Coli makes farming for chests easier. That said, I still do plan on doing another training push at the end. Because of my plans for this locke, with dragons at level 25 ascending at the end, I want everyone to either die or reach level 25. (This does not count for NPCs, who automatically survive no matter the level). Given the time it took, I think I am going to start it in April, and in May (or maybe April) cut off new dragons. So, be prepared for a lot of deaths, but be comforted in the fact this is not going to be the norm for my future pinkerlockes, and only will be again if I have a story premise that requires few survivors. I do not currently have any stories of this nature planned, but I don't want to rule out the possibility. If there is another one like this, it will not be for a long while. On the plus side, thanks to @Phanerozoic , Joshe and Jubilee are level 25 and are guaranteed survival! They offered to train up some dragons for me during NOTN, and I sent those two because they are immune from death being the alphabet legacy pair! I'll do a level ranking at the end, but first, here are Solomon's siblings that are up for grabs if anyone wants them, available until they are grown up! (I got so lucky hatching a wildclaw!)(Also, there are no spares from the other nests as Yuka was a one egg nest and I rolled to keep both of Hurri and Kravitz' kids). [center][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/92266168][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/922662/92266168_350.png[/img][/url] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/92266169][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/922662/92266169_350.png[/img][/url] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/92266170][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/922662/92266170_350.png[/img][/url][/center] And now, last but certainly not least, the level lineups! I got almost everyone to level 9, but I didn't train the dragons I got during NOTN, and some of them I didn't have time to finish the 7-9 push! [LIST=1] [*]Gold, Frankincense, Myrrh, Vashta, Solomon, Yuka, Chardonnay, Diggory, Resolution, Firework, Florina, Mavid, Rouge [*][i]None[/i] [*][i]None[/i] [*][i]None[/i] [*][i]None[/i] [*][i]None[/i] [*]Scallop, Mena, Jarna, Runik, Crocodile, Tetra, Halibut, Lvad, Syndal, Obsidian, Hollow, Fect [*]Mizt, Cosmos [*]Klassia, Capriccio, Glacier, Ichabod, Cynar, Demon, Ishtar, Cure, Sunny, Izel, Buttons, Dawson, Lyrate, Brightsea, Bluegrass, Viva, Ouro, Nova, Gourd, Octavia, Pearl, Faust, Stripey, Winterguard, Aesc, Sunset, Echo, Sahara, Pala, Ilyana, Juan, Lavender, Quell, Bloodrush, Mato, Piano [*]Hime, Rockabillie [*][i]None[/i] [*][i]None[/i] [*][i]None[/i] [*][i]None[/i] [*][i]None[/i] [*][i]None[/i] [*][i]None[/i] [*][i]None[/i] [*][i]None[/i] [*][i]None[/i] [*][i]None[/i] [*][i]None[/i] [*][i]None[/i] [*][i]None[/i] [*]Joshe, Jubilee [/LIST] NPC List: Shui, Myca, JupiterPhaseOne, Arkose, Faraday, Grimm, Keresneh

Day 73: Mail Day!
Bronze Fabric Scrap
Sentence: Writing
(Heads up, this ended up being a super long chapter, I wrote it to catch up on the last of things from NOTN, such a new hatches and nests from this week's pursuits.)

dragon?did=90071356&skin=0&apparel=1707,26868,26869,26872&xt=dressing.png
dragon?did=90872136&skin=0&apparel=12897,47037,17928,21845&xt=dressing.png

“Hey, are you okay?” Joshe asked. He had sensed something was off with Jubilee, he had for a long time. And that had only increased since their friend, Armageddon died. Joshe felt that loss strongly too, though he did not know the undertide well. It was part of having the clan as his charge, every death felt like a deep, personal loss. But he had not brought that up with Jubilee. It was insensitive, he felt.

That said, he could feel their hurt as if it was his own, both from his own personal charge loss, and his empathy for Jubilee as another aspect of his charge. So, he had made a point to check in regularly, especially when they seemed down, like today.

“I appreciate you always checking in on me,” Jubilee smiled sadly. “I’m okay. Just missing Armageddon today. He would know what to say with my doubts and questions.”

“You can ask me,” Joshe offered. “I may not know the answer, but I would be happy to listen.”

“You have been a good friend to me,” Jubilee acknowledged. “I suppose it would help to open up.” They took a deep breath. “You see, I was born with a destiny, told I would oppose a great evil. I’ve always wanted to be just an ordinary dragon, so I ran. I’ve been running for a long time. But now I’m here, and even though I have yet to participate in a challenge, I feel like I can’t leave, and I just can’t help but feel I’m landed in my fate anyways, like maybe the great evil I’m supposed to face is Shui. And I don’t know how I’m ever going to be strong enough for that.”

“That’s big,” Joshe said. He had to say he was not expecting that as an answer. “I can see why you would be overwhelmed, especially if you’ve lost your main friend and support.”

“I don’t want to do this alone,” Jubilee admitted.

“Do you have to?” Joshe asked.

“No, nothing that I know of my fate says I have to do it alone,” Jubilee sighed. “I just don’t want to put it on anyone.”

“I’ll help you,” Joshe blurted out. He was not sure what made him say that. He knew perfectly well that having The Disciples as his charge meant Shui as well. He knew he would find it difficult, if not impossible, to lay a claw on him. But there was something special about Jubilee, something more than charge feelings. It was similar to how he felt about Ouro, when he thought about it.

He did not have time to dwell on this more, as his conversation with Jubilee was interrupted by Valoo sweeping down from the sky. It was that time of year, Joshe realized. Even without a challenge, they were due for mail.

“Hello!” Valoo grinned widely. “I’ve got a letter for you, so when I saw you out behind this tent, I figured I should deliver it to you right away!” The obelisk scanned to look at Jubilee. “Sorry, am I interrupting something?”

“No, don’t worry about it,” Jubilee waved him off. “I should get going. But… thanks Joshe. It means a lot.”

There was something deeper in her words, and Joshe realized with a flushed face that as a skydancer, they could probably sense Joshe’s attraction to them. At least, it didn’t seem to turn them off? At least not from what he could tell.

He quickly took the letter from Valoo, trying to distract himself from how the interaction had ended. “Thank you. Will you be around for dinner tonight? I’m making a chowder.”

“You think I would miss one of my brother’s famous recipes?” Valoo laughed. “I’ll be there, you can count on me! But first, I have more mail to deliver!”

The obelisk took off, leaving Joshe with the letter. It was a thick one, and he was excited.

It took some time to track down his family members. His parents were easy enough, they were tending to a new nest. But he could not find Jarna or Hime. He would have to catch them later.
dragon?did=87492303&skin=0&apparel=18030,35549,26274,5165,5402&xt=dressing.png
dragon?did=82229072&skin=0&apparel=25058,25059,25060,25061,25062,25063&xt=dressing.png

So, he found himself in his parents’ tent, reading the letter out to them as they tended to a nest of two eggs.
Quote:
Oh. Oh! Joshe—and everyone else! I can't believe I found you! I always knew, of course, that my moms weren't my biological parents, but when they told me I was found abandoned in the Plaguelands, I thought... well I never expected such a large family and warm letter!

Okay, okay, well, firstly: my love to you all. I unfortunately don't really remember anyone, really, but I could never not return such warmth, even in a letter. A little more individually, I will say:

To Izel: I will keep those words close to heart. I am still figuring out who I am, but once I do, I will be sure to embrace it—them? me?—wholeheartedly! I am very lucky that my clan, family, and friends are all incredibly open and understanding, so I have a great deal of support around me.

To Ishtar: I am extremely grateful for all the information about this curse. My moms are especially relieved at the news that its harmless. I think Ma's biggest concern was that it was part of the reason I was left alone in the Wastes, so its good to hear that the two aren't related, and now we have information!

And, for the record, I wholeheartedly believe the only "ugly" one in this whole equation would be the curse-caster.

Unfortunately for Jarna, I don't have much in the way of stories about the world at large. I don't even remember the Scarred Wasteland, and haven't left the clan's territory since coming here, let along the Windswept Plateau. Its really nice here, though. The air is always moving, always clean, and the bamboo groves are home to all sorts of creatures and dragons. Every time I think I've heard of all there is out there, I find out about more! I almost feel as if its by design, if the constant joy of exploration and discovery is part of the spirit of the Flight. If that's the case, maybe I should get out more...

But, while I can't personally attest to anywhere else, most of my clanmates come from other regions. I can see about rustling up some of their accounts and sending them along. And, Jarna, I know you're stuck in the challenges for a while yet, but if you have any interest in coming to the Plateau once you're free to do so, just hunt for the Wayward Winds. They—and I!—will welcome you with open wings for as long as you wish to stay! In fact, that offer is open to any of you. I would love to meet family, though six years is maybe a while to wait...

Which, speaking of my clan, perhaps it is not my place to say but. To Hime: I have learned a lot about forgiveness and second chances as a part of the Wayward Winds. I don't know what happened between you and the rest of the family, but I've seen, even among strangers, that there's room for forgiveness. And oftentimes, the hardest part is letting yourself be forgiven.

Though, I am speaking entirely without context, so forgive me if I'm speaking out of turn.

And finally, Joshe—thank you. For writing the letter, for letting me know that my—our—family is out there, and for the insight into my charge. I'm drawn more to certain dragons than others, so I'm not sure if my charge is the entire clan—considering it, it doesn't feel right, like there's still a piece missing—but its good to know the history of our family. Maybe some further looking into it will help me discover the full nature of my charge.

And I wish you luck with yours. It sounds like you have a difficult road ahead of you.

What followed next was written in a slightly different ink, or to be set slightly less into the parchment, as if it were added later.
Quote:
It has been itching at me for a number of days now. Knowing I have family out there... I want to meet you. But you mentioned a ritual keeping you from leaving? That gives me pause, especially with my charge here, yet unknown. If there is a way, though, that I might have the chance to meet you and the rest of our family without being caught up, please, let me know.

And if there is no way, then please, let me know if there's anything I can do from here to help. I may be a ways away, but I can't just sit idly by while my family struggles.

Please, stay safe and take care.
-Jacinto
90071354p.png

There was a third variant of ink, adding on a final piece to the letter.
Quote:
P.S.: I talked to some of my clanmates and got them to write about where they lived in some of the other regions of Sornieth. Zoisite wrote about her former kingdom in the Sunbeam Ruins, and Nix's information comes from his birth clan's travels all across the Southern Icefield. If Jarna would like, I can try and get some more for when I next write!

After reading out the letter to his parents, Joshe left them to continue tending to the nest. Normally, he would offer his help - he was excited at the prospect of new siblings. But he had a letter to write in response, and food to cook. Not to mention giving the letter to Hime and Jarna to read when he figured out where they went. So, Joshe retired to his own tent, and began to write.
Quote:
Jacinto,

Thank you for you long letter! It is fantastic to hear from you again! All of us have made it thought Night of the Nocturne intact. It turned out to be an incredibly lethal time of year. We thought we were going to get a break from the challenges, but things ended up much, much worse. The family survived though, so I guess I have that to be thankful for, even if I lost many dragons I consider to be my charge. It was… a difficult time for me. But even more so for the loved ones of the dragons we lost.

It excites me to hear about what you are discovering about your charge! It has become something I’ve become somewhat invested in. I think about you often, and wonder if you have figured it out yet. I would love to hear when you find out the exact nature of your charge, and would love to help in any way I can.

As for ways you can help, honestly the best way you can help is to stay safe and stay far away from the challenges. I would hate for you to become involved too, or to lose you as well. I know that probably does not ease your anxiety for our fate, but coming here will only put yourself in danger, and not lessen our own.

I hope you are well. I will be sure to pass on the accounts of your friend’s travels to Jarna, she will love them!

Joshe

As he sealed the letter, he thought again of Jubilee. He wondered if he should mention something about them. But then again, he had not yet spoken to Ouro about if he would be interested in adding to their relationship, or if Jubilee would even be interested in that. So, he left it be.

Besides, he had cooking to do.

4749c14343af35096e06119b885d7bc79977c4c5.png

dragon?did=90071355&skin=0&apparel=952,21851,21852,21857,21858,24709,24710,24743&xt=dressing.png

Jarna felt light and floaty. She had had the most wonderful time. The two eggs she cradled close to her body were evidence of that. It was strange to think she would soon have more siblings and some children of her own.
dragon?did=87416622&skin=0&apparel=293,475,448,291,332,294,10375&xt=dressing.png

Juan nuzzled her as she went. “Thank you for your time,” he murmured. “I will not forget this. And if vampire children become too much to handle, The Disciples of Grimm are happy to raise them.”

Jarna opened her mouth to invite Juan to move in with her among The Disciples of Ishtar, but thought better of it. She had only met Juan today. And one thing had led to another very quickly. Jarna was not usually the sort to move so fast, but she was smitten with him. She hoped this would be the start of something wonderful.

Juan walked her to the mouth of the cave that the vampire coven lived in, but no further. As she was leaving the territory of The Disciples of Grimm, two wildclaw vampires swooped down next to her.
dragon?did=91995754&skin=0&apparel=41631,815,45167,45183,45178,21814&xt=dressing.png
dragon?did=91995755&skin=0&apparel=15750,15701,15715,15693,15718,15726,15747&xt=dressing.png

“You know, this happy family you are dreaming of? It’s never going to happen,” Mavid said, face shaped in a mock frown.

“I’m sorry, you don’t know what Juan and I just shared,” Jarna shot back.

“No, I think you’ll find that you don’t know Juan,” Rouge laughed. “You see, Juan is like me. Romance and commitment make us feel icky. We live for those moments of passion, but nothing more. The only difference is that he is in it for the affection, I’m in it as a hunting method. I just figured you should know. He probably thought he was clear, but I know what these emotions do to hearts like yours.”

“But Juan said-” Jarna said.

“Juan didn’t say anything. It’s just these pesky emotions and attachments,” Mavid interrupted. “Now, take our advice as a gift, and be grateful we are not draining your blood. Your bond, however brief, with Juan earns you that much.”

“But don’t expect it next time you come around,” Rouge laughed. “Unless, of course, you are bringing the vampire spawn in those eggs to us. We do need more numbers, after Vastha’s mother came and took her to her clan.”

“No, I’ll raise them myself, thank you very much,” Jarna said, tone sharper than she intended. Looking back, Juan hadn’t said anything about a serious relationship, but that didn’t make her heart break any less. The future she had imagined with Juan was shattered, the very least she could keep was her children.

She left quickly, trying to stop herself from crying. But mud tears trailed down her face regardless.

When she got home, she made her way to her tent. She didn’t want her family to see how foolish she had been, not until she had pulled herself together.

She was pleasantly surprised to see two pieces of parchment on her table. That would be a good distraction! She picked them up and read them.
Quote:
90133889p.png
Jacinto tells me he is trying to get accounts of other parts of Sornieth to send to his sister. Only fitting he should come to me to hear of the Sunbeam Ruins and the glory that it holds—or once held, as the shining beacon of my kingdom, the Polished City, is likely no more. It was a sight to behold, in its prime. The streets may as well have been paved in gleaming silver, for how they shone, and marble towers traced in gold rose high above even the tallest dragons. There was wealth in every step, and the city shone with it. It was a beacon on the horizon, no matter how the light hit it—though, of course, it could never rival the Lightweaver, may Her name be praised.

At the very center of the city lay the seat of the kingdom, the Golden Citadel. More a castle than a fortress, during my stay, but all else is true. Inlaid with beautifully polished gold, the Citadel sat overlooking the entire city, a place to see and be seen. Despite all the towers throughout the Polished City, no place was higher than the royal chambers of the Citadel. I spent many, many hours upon my balcony, looking out over my accomplishments below.

The city stretched on for as far as the eye could see, and it hummed from corner to corner. Nowhere could you go without hearing the buzz of chatter. It was the place to go to find wealth and glory. Anyone could make it to the top—limited only by how cutthroat you were. It was a place of opportunity, for those willing to fight for it. A hub of trade and education, a military power. Whatever you desired in the Polished City, you could have, with enough work. I made it so. I made it a city of success. We had never known such glory until I sat on the throne.

That was the glory of the Sunbeam Ruins, the jewel of Light territory, until those ungracious dogs—

The parchment ends there. Jarna began to shuffle through the papers to see if there was more, and a smaller piece of parchment fell from behind it, covered in Jacinto’s handwriting.
Quote:
She’s still having a hard time adjusting to life here, even as long as she's been in the clan. I figured I’d spare you her spouting about the ‘injustices she faced’ for another three pages, as there was nothing relevant about the Sunbeam Ruins or any other Flight territory to be found in her ravings. -J

Jarna chuckled, already feeling a bit better, and turned to read the second account.
Quote:
I have been asked by Jacinto to give my account of what I remember of the Southern Icefields. Zephira recommended me, from what I am told, though I am sorry to say I may not remember too much compared to someone like Dove, as I was quite young when I left. But I suppose I would give a better account than Jenx, so I shall do my best.

It is a frigid land, as you could likely assume, seeing as it is the realm of Ice. Inhospitable to many dragons—even Ice-born clans struggle to survive in some of the farthest reaches of the Icefield. My birth clan was one of nomads, but also staunch believers in the purity of Ice. Fire was a necessary evil, and to be used as sparingly as possible.

During colder years, such as Ice, Wind, Shadow, and what has now been dubbed “the Night of the Nocturne,” we would remain in the northern parts of the region while the ice floes were stronger, more cohesive. But the energies were still inconsistent, even when the ice was visibly whole. I often had to guide my clan’s steps around many dangerous pitfalls, as falling into the frigid waters during the cold years could be disastrous, especially for the hatchlings.

The Snowsquall Tundra was abundant with energy—at least, comparatively—and was a bounty of prey and forage. We would often spend more… middling years, here, while the ice up north was too thin to tread upon, and the blizzards to the south were too harsh to traverse. Here, during years ripe with Nature, Plague, Earth, and Arcane magic, we would hunt and forage, replenishing our food stores for when we next journeyed beyond the Tundra. These years were often when our clan’s size would drastically increase, and many nests were left behind in the evergreen forests at the foot of the mountains.

Which is not to say that all nests occurred during these neutral years. My parents—for some reason only the Eleven know—hatched me on the ice floes during a year of Shadow.

During the warmest years of the cycle, Fire, Light, and Lightning (though I would hesitate to say that Lightning was warmer, just that the blizzards were lessened as clouds moved elsewhere to produce harsher thunderstorms), we would venture out onto the Reclaimer’s Glacier. We were one of few clans who ever did—and with good reason. Even during these warmer times, the blizzard was unrelenting, and it's a wonder that even my clan ventured beyond the mountains, though we did not go far, lest we get lost in the featureless landscape.

I never had to check the energy of the ice for weak spots on the glacier—it was always solid and unyielding. Probably for the best, as I wouldn’t have been able to tell over the cacophony of Ice that permeated the area. It was enough to almost drown out my senses. It’s only many years later that I found out that it was likely due to the presence of the Gaolers and their frozen charges deep below.

I do hope that was useful information, and that it will help tide you over, Jarna, until you are able to roam free of your own volition. At Jacinto’s behest, I have attempted a reading for you and, while the flames are hard to predict for those I have no connection to, your name has provoked visions of open skies and strong tailwinds. Though please, bear in mind that the future is uncertain, even for those of us that can glimpse it.

-Nix
10561637p.png

Jarna smiled. Now, she was feeling much better. It was foolish to expect more from Juan than what she had shared with him. And the world was so much wider than what - and who - was here. She knew she would read these stories over and over again. She already wanted to reread them, but first, she should write back.
Quote:
Jacinto,

Thanks for getting your friends to write all that for me! It truly is a gift, and makes being trapped here so much more bearable. Please, let them know how much I appreciated it, and if you can get more stories of other flights, or even new stories of the same flights, you would be my favourite dragon in the whole world.

Your sister,
Jarna.

dragon?did=26684600&skin=0&apparel=31965,391,31588,429,10962,386,423&xt=dressing.png

Capriccio stared at the letter that had been delivered to him, shaking. He was not sure if it were real, or if it were some cruel joke that Myca were playing on him. Still, it was in Zarzuela’s handwriting. He did not understand how his mentor would be able to replicate that so perfectly.
Quote:
My dearest Capriccio, I pray this letter _____ our children safely and in good health. I'm not sure _____ has passed since __________. The last thing I recall is sitting in the tent ___________ I have only vague impressions of being carried across the sand and hearing _____ I was taken in by a traveling clan _____ in their care. My dearest, I hope this letter eases _____ what became of me. _____ wish I could do more. How have things been since I was taken away? _____ Viva, Tetra, and Scallop ___ before I lost consciousness. Are they safe? __ send word ___________ can write your letter on the back of this sheet_____ I love and miss all of you _____ Please give our children my love, and embrace _____ Your loving wife, always, Zarzuela
24340611p.png

Capriccio looked at it more closely, trying to discern what the damaged parts of the letter said, to no avail. Tears were running down his face now. He longed for his wife’s embrace. He wanted so badly to believe she was alive somehow, but after all he had suffered these past years, he was not sure if he could. He could not even bring himself to look at his mirror, fearing he would see the rotting remains of her body instead of seeing her warm and safe and happy.

Still, real or not, he could not go without a response. He could not do that to her. And Myca had enough to hold over his head that if the letter was her work, he did not care if she had one more thing to laugh at him about.
Quote:
My darling Zarzuela,

After news of your death reached me, I never imagined I would hear from you again. Yet, here you are. I must admit, not all of the letter was legible, I think some parts got damaged in transit.

Now that you are no longer around for me to check on in the mirror, I cannot see how our children are doing outside of the lab. However, Scallop has come and joined me as Myca’s second apprentice. Xi seems quite happy, though xi has been shamelessly bragging about poisoning your tea. Xi is to blame for your fate, I hate to inform you, but you deserve to know what happened. I cannot help but blame myself. If I had not drawn attention to you by meeting you in person during the challenges, and if we had not had eggs during that time… it is awful to wish a child of yours had not been born, but to know that you would likely still be here if Scallop had not - (here, there is a large ink blot, as if Capriccio were covering something up.)

Forgive me. What’s done is done, and I do not regret any of our other children.

I just hope to know your embrace once more, and to reunite our families. I thought you dead, so if you are truly alive and not a trick, that would be a miracle.

Capriccio

Quote:
Quetzali,

I figured I should write you again with another update. Things are settling down. The more time passes, the more I accept that my family does in fact care for me, and forgive me for my betrayals against them. Perhaps, someday soon, I can forgive myself.

Speaking of which, I have taken a leaf out of your book and changed my breed. The pull of Shui was too strong, and while I have no real desire to go back to him, I do not trust the instincts so ingrained in me with him as my charge. So, the best way I could think to erase those charge feelings was to remove my ability to have a charge.

Of course, those feelings never completely go away, but they are significantly weaker and easier to resist. I no longer feel that if I had to choose between protecting Shui or protecting my family, I would doom my family to die.

I have chosen to become a pearlcatcher. It is a strange feeling, coughing up a pearl and feeling the goop ooze from my mouth when emotions are strong, but I was drawn to the idea of a pearl as a vessel for my memories. I never want to forget the harm I caused, or what I have gained now that I have turned away from Shui. Carrying around a physical manifestation of myself and those memories seemed the best way to remind myself who I really am.

We are over halfway through these challenges now. With any luck, I may be able to return home once all this is done.

With love,
Hime.
dragon?did=85652760&skin=0&apparel=552,1547,4788,334,442,13819&xt=dressing.png

Hime closed the letter, feeling a sense of satisfaction. Her writing looked a little different, now that her hands were a different shape, but she felt more herself than she had in a long time. If only Hansel could see her now. She hoped he would be proud of her.

dragon?age=1&body=168&bodygene=233&breed=20&element=2&eyetype=2&gender=1&tert=136&tertgene=104&winggene=104&wings=74&auth=912781fb423472036cbac49fc75ab9b22cab0cdd&dummyext=prev.png
dragon?age=1&body=96&bodygene=97&breed=20&element=2&eyetype=0&gender=0&tert=92&tertgene=211&winggene=97&wings=42&auth=6630e88952590cd99770b9ca4a6aecb4b7387f85&dummyext=prev.png

“What do you mean you’re leaving?” Mato asked. They were glad they had woken up when they had, otherwise they would have missed the other aberration sneaking away.

“Look, Mato. You are wonderful, and I enjoyed our night together last night, but I’m not the sort of dragon to stick in one place, with one dragon.” Fect explained.

“I know that, but I thought maybe you would stay a bit longer.” Mato’s voice cracked.

“I have no interest in The Plaguemother’s Spurned. I have not been spurned by the Plaguebringer, she gave me a job and I am spurning her.” Fect said.

“Is that all this is, a distraction?” Mato said, voice raising. They didn’t know why this was bothering them so much, why they felt like they had been abandoned before, but it was hitting them harder than they had expected.

“Look, Mato. You are a nice dragon, and maybe I’ll be back. But this isn’t the place for me. And you can’t wait for me, because I’ve had a lot of flings, and I am going to have lots more before I am ready to settle down at all, if I’m going to settle down at all. I’m sorry if this is going to let you down, but I did say it very clearly before things got too serious.”

“You did,” Mato admitted with a sigh. “I’m just going to miss you.”

Fect did not respond to Mato, and something in her faces looked pained and uncomfortable. Mato watched her go, trying to ignore the panic and loneliness that clawed at their chest.

It was not until Mato returned to their bed that they noticed the eggs.

dragon?did=30081270&skin=0&apparel=29244,32034,768,23290,28149,32705,32701,744&xt=dressing.png

Shui did not care for the hatching of his nest with Tasman. He would care, when his children were old enough to be trained, to be shaped. But in these early stages, he usually found someone else in his clan to dump them off with.

Still, he found himself somehow present as the eggs cracked. He watched as three mirrors poured out of their shells, but he did not have eyes for them.

No, all he cared about was his son. A beautiful wildclaw, emerging from his shell, against all odds. This had to mean something, Shui knew it. This child was perfect, he would have a great destiny. Finally, a child that he could be properly proud of.
dragon?age=0&body=136&bodygene=11&breed=10&element=2&eyetype=1&gender=0&tert=117&tertgene=7&winggene=22&wings=99&auth=230dedf9ba72ac707e976538fb58babc219d3a2f&dummyext=prev.png

dragon?age=1&body=41&bodygene=240&breed=24&element=9&eyetype=1&gender=0&tert=65&tertgene=244&winggene=251&wings=57&auth=e1e17ea6c68c9311753b13c6bef800543768f90c&dummyext=prev.png

Runik had been having all sorts of emotions as the nest incubated, many he did not care to admit or acknowledge for too long. Besides, it was not his nest. The nest belonged to Arkose and Crocodile. And even if Crocodile may not be cut out to be a mom, Arkose was. And he was glad Arkose was finally going to raise the family she had wanted.

But the moment Runik laid eyes on Yuka, he knew. He was just as much that child’s parent as Arkose and Crocodile. He didn’t need to be in a relationship with either of them for that. He knew instantly that he would do anything for the child, and that she was his daughter.
dragon?age=0&body=144&bodygene=261&breed=24&element=2&eyetype=0&gender=1&tert=101&tertgene=238&winggene=261&wings=85&auth=e2f2c2cd81b5725638c463ee092e2509bbf1b049&dummyext=prev.png

dragon?did=91947017&skin=0&apparel=35543,3634,23083,23082,3632,28807,3698,3686&xt=dressing.png
dragon?did=91947016&skin=0&apparel=6032,6026,749,2318,10752&xt=dressing.png

Taverns had always been a favourite stop of Firework’s, so when the brothers saw that there was a tavern on a riverboat in the middle of the barren land of the Scarred Wasteland, of course they had to stop in.

But now Firework was chatting up a snapper he had met at the bar, leaving Resolution alone at his table, with plenty of time to think.

He did not know exactly how, in all their travels, he had ended up here. Bartholomew, the serthis guard his dads had sent them with, had suggested they turn around many times, find a safer flight. But that was easier said than done, as the brothers had soon found themselves lost.
21425.png

“We should get moving again soon. The sooner we get out of this dangerous place, the better. What am I going to tell the kings if you get killed out here?” Bartholomew grumbled.

“Relax, Firework is just doing his thing. He’ll have his fun with the snapper, and then he’ll move on. And we can move on.” Resolution reminded the guard. “Besides, this tavern is the safest place we’ve been since reaching the Plague Flight. It won’t hurt to spend more time here.”

“I guess not, my liege,” Bartholomew sighed. “I just worry.”

“That’s good, it’s your job to worry. It’s my job to learn more about the world and figure out what I need to do to be comfortable being king when my dads die,” Resolution said.

“And it’s Firework’s job to flirt with every eligible dragon on Sornieth?” Bartholomew grumbled.

“Precisely,” Resolution teased. He saw a flash in the serthis’ eye. Bartholomew was very traditional, and did not approve of Firework’s antics.

“He’s going to have to be careful, or he will end up with a nest sooner or later. We can’t have royal blood spreading willy-nilly.” Bartholomew sighed.

“Well, technically, Firework and I are adopted, so it’s only as much royal blood as we decide it is. Besides, I’m the heir, not Firework. We would both have to die before any children of his were to end up next in line for the throne, and that’s assuming that my dads don’t adopt a new heir.” Resolution pointed out.

Bartholomew did not have time to complain more, as Firework was racing over to the table, the snapper following behind him.
dragon?did=86154300&skin=0&apparel=1152,546,6032,331,323,491,439&xt=dressing.png

“Resolution, Bartholomew, this is Octavia!” Firework grinned.

“She must be special, I don’t usually get to meet your flings,” Resolution teased.

“That’s because Octavia has a place for us to stay tonight! She’s leader of a clan, actually, she describes it as a whole other kingdom! We can stay there as long as we want!” Firework exclaimed. “It would sure beat trying to build a shelter out of bones another night.”

“Are the rooms in the tavern not suitable?” Bartholomew grumbled.

“Come on, Bart, don’t you want to be in a castle again?” Firework asked.

“Stop calling me Bart,” Bartholomew huffed. “But yes, I suppose you are right. I miss decadence and comfort and dignity.”

“If Octavia is the queen of the clan, I don’t think she’s one for dignity, considering she’s messing around with Firework.” Resolution whispered to Bartholomew. The old serthis’ face grew red.

“Then it’s settled, you are coming with me.” Octavia grinned. Firework cheered and grabbed onto Octavia, leaning into her affectionately. Resolution smiled to himself, and followed the happy couple along, entirely aware of how much more reluctantly Bartholomew was following.

And thus brings us to the end of NOTN officially. All the dragons that have been hatched during that time, including my New Year's hatches, have been introduced. I will say, I'm never doing this level of lethality for a locke again, most likely. I'm thinking in future years I may use NOTN as free training, and only do deaths for official Coli pulls, because having a goal in the Coli makes farming for chests easier.

That said, I still do plan on doing another training push at the end. Because of my plans for this locke, with dragons at level 25 ascending at the end, I want everyone to either die or reach level 25. (This does not count for NPCs, who automatically survive no matter the level). Given the time it took, I think I am going to start it in April, and in May (or maybe April) cut off new dragons. So, be prepared for a lot of deaths, but be comforted in the fact this is not going to be the norm for my future pinkerlockes, and only will be again if I have a story premise that requires few survivors. I do not currently have any stories of this nature planned, but I don't want to rule out the possibility. If there is another one like this, it will not be for a long while.

On the plus side, thanks to @Phanerozoic , Joshe and Jubilee are level 25 and are guaranteed survival! They offered to train up some dragons for me during NOTN, and I sent those two because they are immune from death being the alphabet legacy pair!

I'll do a level ranking at the end, but first, here are Solomon's siblings that are up for grabs if anyone wants them, available until they are grown up! (I got so lucky hatching a wildclaw!)(Also, there are no spares from the other nests as Yuka was a one egg nest and I rolled to keep both of Hurri and Kravitz' kids).
92266168_350.png
92266169_350.png
92266170_350.png

And now, last but certainly not least, the level lineups! I got almost everyone to level 9, but I didn't train the dragons I got during NOTN, and some of them I didn't have time to finish the 7-9 push!
  1. Gold, Frankincense, Myrrh, Vashta, Solomon, Yuka, Chardonnay, Diggory, Resolution, Firework, Florina, Mavid, Rouge
  2. None
  3. None
  4. None
  5. None
  6. None
  7. Scallop, Mena, Jarna, Runik, Crocodile, Tetra, Halibut, Lvad, Syndal, Obsidian, Hollow, Fect
  8. Mizt, Cosmos
  9. Klassia, Capriccio, Glacier, Ichabod, Cynar, Demon, Ishtar, Cure, Sunny, Izel, Buttons, Dawson, Lyrate, Brightsea, Bluegrass, Viva, Ouro, Nova, Gourd, Octavia, Pearl, Faust, Stripey, Winterguard, Aesc, Sunset, Echo, Sahara, Pala, Ilyana, Juan, Lavender, Quell, Bloodrush, Mato, Piano
  10. Hime, Rockabillie
  11. None
  12. None
  13. None
  14. None
  15. None
  16. None
  17. None
  18. None
  19. None
  20. None
  21. None
  22. None
  23. None
  24. None
  25. Joshe, Jubilee

NPC List: Shui, Myca, JupiterPhaseOne, Arkose, Faraday, Grimm, Keresneh
Gosh it is actually a huge relief hearing that Joshe is 25 and now safe. I dunno what I would have done if Jacinto lost his brother all of a sudden [emoji=skydancer sad size=1] And Hime! I'm proud of her, you go girl, you do what you need to do! And so many nests! I'm excited to see where all this new blood ends up!
Gosh it is actually a huge relief hearing that Joshe is 25 and now safe. I dunno what I would have done if Jacinto lost his brother all of a sudden

And Hime! I'm proud of her, you go girl, you do what you need to do!

And so many nests! I'm excited to see where all this new blood ends up!
tSKOR3g.png
- Wind Subspecies Hub
- Painted Clouds
- Foo's Eye Guardians
- Wishlist
- Clan Lore

@Kayfox

Yeah, I'm relieved too. It's nice to know that there are at least a couple dragons who have made it, I was worried that I would lose everyone and it would just be the NPCs making it out. This gives the ending more hope regardless of how high the death toll gets in the last two months.

She deserves this! I waited until after NOTN to apply the scroll, just in case. But I hope she makes it through to the end, it would be quite the feat as one of the starting dragons.

Me too!!!
@Kayfox

Yeah, I'm relieved too. It's nice to know that there are at least a couple dragons who have made it, I was worried that I would lose everyone and it would just be the NPCs making it out. This gives the ending more hope regardless of how high the death toll gets in the last two months.

She deserves this! I waited until after NOTN to apply the scroll, just in case. But I hope she makes it through to the end, it would be quite the feat as one of the starting dragons.

Me too!!!
I would love to see Hime make it from start to finish. Hopefully we havent jinxed it…
I would love to see Hime make it from start to finish. Hopefully we havent jinxed it…
tSKOR3g.png
- Wind Subspecies Hub
- Painted Clouds
- Foo's Eye Guardians
- Wishlist
- Clan Lore

1 2 ... 87 88 89 90 91 ... 96 97