Back

Quests & Challenges

Quests, Challenges, and Festival games.
TOPIC | [MJ22] Story Contest --Over--
1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 15 16
@imginate Your entry is good, share link works! Wishing you luck with the other categories, looking forward to reading more :)
@imginate Your entry is good, share link works! Wishing you luck with the other categories, looking forward to reading more :)
cloudbear familiar adopt (links to free resource)why does align right not work fit fit fit fit fit okHobbes dragon plushie (links to breeding pairs)
[center][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/35810832][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/358109/35810832_350.png[/img][/url][/center] [quote][font=optima]”Poetry never was my strong suit.” The skydancer doesn’t greet you in a traditional sense—his tone reminds you of someone reconnecting with an old friend. (Do you know him?) His voice is smooth, elegant, and without cracks or breaks. Every word he speaks has a clearly defined purpose, even if those around him can’t decipher the intent. And, although slight, he hangs on the letter S much longer than he should. “This was quite the undertaking,” he continues. “But, I believe that what I’ve written fits the requirements quite well—it’s actually exact.” It’s now, when he sits down on long spindly legs, do you realize how he’s dressed: regal, yet sharp. There’s a crown atop his head, and from beneath flows thick, black hair that hides his frame. Through minute gaps in the strands, you can see battle scars and greying scales that indicate how old he is. The rest of his age shows not in his face, but in the cobwebs upon his wings and the rotten bird that serves as his pet. Actually, he might be ancient. He’s armored with spines and teeth. Each piece was made custom for his odd proportions: his armor is as impossibly thin and stretched to fit a body of the same(a body without shape, really). Strange, but this isn’t too uncommon for the skydancer breed. However, his purple coloration and red eyes scorched with plague, those not so much. A frilled collar draws your eyes to his neck, and you finally notice the rouge mask that covers his mouth, and the golden locket that contrasts harshly against the black backdrop. (You actually get the sense that the mask—and the rest of his armor—is hiding something, but you’re not sure what and realize it doesn’t matter yet.) Before you can observe him any longer, he speaks again: “Oh, I’ve forgotten to introduce myself.” He runs black claws through even blacker hair, “My name is Mountebank, Prince of the Desolate Garden, and I’ll be your host for the next five days. Each story I present to you will be weirder and more experimental than the last, and I do hope they stick with you even after these days have gone.” His subsequent chuckle is knowing. “But for now, [i]slither.[/i]” [columns][item=Cryptic Molding Runescrap][nextcol][font=optima]You’re handed a poem—beautifully inked words lie in stark contrast to a tattered piece of paper. It smells nice, floral; you think maybe it was sprayed with some type of perfume. Then you sniff the air, and realize the piece smells like its author. You look to your left, and see that same dragon lounging on a nearby chaise and drifting off to sleep. [i]Ancient[/i], you think again. [i]Was that a command or a title[/i], you think next. You bind the sight and smell of the poem into your memory. You believe that noticing details like this will come in handy over the next few days(and you’re right, it will).[/columns] @sockmonkeygerald [b]Author:[/b] TheCount [b]ID Number:[/b] #339861 [b]Category:[/b] 100 Words [b]Entry:[/b] [url= https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-UebBegrfxIqU2vJVmp4DUfSET2J3qQpIN1P8kzZ2vE/edit]Slither[/url]
35810832_350.png
Quote:
”Poetry never was my strong suit.”

The skydancer doesn’t greet you in a traditional sense—his tone reminds you of someone reconnecting with an old friend. (Do you know him?) His voice is smooth, elegant, and without cracks or breaks. Every word he speaks has a clearly defined purpose, even if those around him can’t decipher the intent. And, although slight, he hangs on the letter S much longer than he should.

“This was quite the undertaking,” he continues. “But, I believe that what I’ve written fits the requirements quite well—it’s actually exact.”

It’s now, when he sits down on long spindly legs, do you realize how he’s dressed: regal, yet sharp. There’s a crown atop his head, and from beneath flows thick, black hair that hides his frame. Through minute gaps in the strands, you can see battle scars and greying scales that indicate how old he is. The rest of his age shows not in his face, but in the cobwebs upon his wings and the rotten bird that serves as his pet. Actually, he might be ancient.

He’s armored with spines and teeth. Each piece was made custom for his odd proportions: his armor is as impossibly thin and stretched to fit a body of the same(a body without shape, really). Strange, but this isn’t too uncommon for the skydancer breed. However, his purple coloration and red eyes scorched with plague, those not so much. A frilled collar draws your eyes to his neck, and you finally notice the rouge mask that covers his mouth, and the golden locket that contrasts harshly against the black backdrop. (You actually get the sense that the mask—and the rest of his armor—is hiding something, but you’re not sure what and realize it doesn’t matter yet.)

Before you can observe him any longer, he speaks again: “Oh, I’ve forgotten to introduce myself.”

He runs black claws through even blacker hair, “My name is Mountebank, Prince of the Desolate Garden, and I’ll be your host for the next five days. Each story I present to you will be weirder and more experimental than the last, and I do hope they stick with you even after these days have gone.” His subsequent chuckle is knowing.

“But for now, slither.

Cryptic Molding Runescrap You’re handed a poem—beautifully inked words lie in stark contrast to a tattered piece of paper. It smells nice, floral; you think maybe it was sprayed with some type of perfume. Then you sniff the air, and realize the piece smells like its author. You look to your left, and see that same dragon lounging on a nearby chaise and drifting off to sleep. Ancient, you think again. Was that a command or a title, you think next.

You bind the sight and smell of the poem into your memory. You believe that noticing details like this will come in handy over the next few days(and you’re right, it will).

@sockmonkeygerald
Author: TheCount
ID Number: #339861
Category: 100 Words
Entry: Slither
daom3l7-a0e9d769-2c15-438e-b477-777b75bab85b.gif
@sockmonkeygerald [b]Author:[/b] Magmish [b]ID Number:[/b] 599134 [b]Category:[/b] 100 Word Challenge [b]Entry:[/b] [url=https://docs.google.com/document/d/15wBzOHUwMS_QfDTWkutqacC9V1yvsFpDZOzev0tntus/edit?usp=sharing]Goodbye and Hello[/url] [b]Author:[/b] Magmish [b]ID Number:[/b] 599134 [b]Category:[/b] The Faces You Hide (The Faces You Show) [b]Entry:[/b] [url=https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ZCT7z8qcCc4a_xFnRkgss1gssNGhEr-hJM0PIqCi_m0/edit?usp=sharing]New Home, New Beginning, New Memories[/url] [b]Author:[/b] Magmish [b]ID Number:[/b] 599134 [b]Category:[/b] Objects of Power [b]Entry:[/b] [url=https://docs.google.com/document/d/1xAbbOAqhlCMQP8FOGRTG0VHxl7S5HyZIoE4ObCS3Yu0/edit?usp=sharing]The Crusty Copper Pot[/url] Will see if I can finish the other categories, really good way for me to develop my characters. These three stories are all about my first two dragons, I never found the time to write about them and their relationship until the MistJam. Hopefully there's no issues with the share links or word counts. Such great entries in the Story Contest [emoji=spiral star size=2] Will definitely take my time reading all of them next week! Not this week, hardly any time this week, but have a fun MistJam everyone!
@sockmonkeygerald
Author: Magmish
ID Number: 599134
Category: 100 Word Challenge
Entry: Goodbye and Hello

Category: The Faces You Hide (The Faces You Show)
Entry: New Home, New Beginning, New Memories

Category: Objects of Power
Entry: The Crusty Copper Pot

Will see if I can finish the other categories, really good way for me to develop my characters. These three stories are all about my first two dragons, I never found the time to write about them and their relationship until the MistJam.
Hopefully there's no issues with the share links or word counts.

Such great entries in the Story Contest
Will definitely take my time reading all of them next week! Not this week, hardly any time this week, but have a fun MistJam everyone!
85074958.png
UIuKM01.png
YMPbu9R.png
HxcMlGn.png
JvUa9ma.png
hOwQuFI.png

FObX7rS.png
2634384.png LWTq9T9.png
@sockmonkeygerald Submitting another entry! ^^

Author: Disillusionist
ID Number: 254672
Category: Freestyle
Entry: Flight of the Machinator
@sockmonkeygerald Submitting another entry! ^^

Author: Disillusionist
ID Number: 254672
Entry: Flight of the Machinator
Disillusionist's Lore & More .. {Free} bio resourcesLF Affiliates
female / INTJ / Capricorn / +16 FR time
Clan: FAQ | Stats | Lore Thread | Directory | Avatar
Wishlists: outfits & genes | general | familiars
Please check the spelling of my name when pinging me: @Disillusionist. Thanks!
@TheCount (Your entry is good! Link works and not over word count) [center][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/74428628][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/744287/74428628_350.png[/img][/url][/center] The jade obelisk bows respectfully in response to the disconcerting skydancer's introduction. "It is an honor and pleasure to be your audience in this venture. I'll look forward to what each day brings."
@TheCount (Your entry is good! Link works and not over word count)

74428628_350.png
The jade obelisk bows respectfully in response to the disconcerting skydancer's introduction. "It is an honor and pleasure to be your audience in this venture. I'll look forward to what each day brings."
cloudbear familiar adopt (links to free resource)why does align right not work fit fit fit fit fit okHobbes dragon plushie (links to breeding pairs)
@Magmish I'm discovering that the best thing about running a story contest is lookit all the wonderful stories I get to read! ^_^ Your entries are good, links work and none over word count!

@Disillusionist I somehow read the category for this as 100 Words at first glance and immediately had to go back and check if I was wrong XD Your entry's good!
@Magmish I'm discovering that the best thing about running a story contest is lookit all the wonderful stories I get to read! ^_^ Your entries are good, links work and none over word count!

@Disillusionist I somehow read the category for this as 100 Words at first glance and immediately had to go back and check if I was wrong XD Your entry's good!
@sockmonkeygerald
Author: LouckyKoneko
ID Number: 591595
Entry: Finding Strength
@sockmonkeygerald
Author: LouckyKoneko
ID Number: 591595
Entry: Finding Strength
Imagining dragons...

Lucky - HxcMlGn.png - JrEJc4j.png
fanfiction writer and chronic daydreamer - uPNWHgD.png

EHXIkb0.png
@LouckyKoneko Your entry is good! :)
@LouckyKoneko Your entry is good! :)
[quote][font=optima]There is no dragon this time. At least, Mountebank is nowhere to be found, unless he somehow transformed into a harsh pink chest. [item=Dreamland Chest] The chest is normal—bright pink is nothing out of the ordinary for a crate from the Arcane. After thorough inspection(unless you didn’t inspect the crate at all because you trust Mountebank [i]that[/i] much), you open the crate and are greeted with: [item=Damp Ominous Textscrap] A damp piece of paper! (Oh, joy.) On first sniff it smells like the sea, you can visualize the ocean waves, salty air, and the pitter-patter of tiny hatchling footsteps. Then, the rot hits you. You begin to cough as the stench buries itself deep within your throat. Thankfully it’s fleeting, and you regain your composure rather quickly, though hints still linger. You debate whether or not its a good idea to read the story inside. After all, if you can’t even smell it, is the piece really something you should be read? [i]Maybe. Maybe not.[/i] Either way, you don your finest pair of reading glasses (if you need them, and if not, you wear them for posterity’s sake), and begin. ——— @sockmonkeygerald [b]Author:[/b] TheCount [b]ID Number:[/b]#339861 [b]Category:[/b] Freestyle [b]Entry:[/b] [url= https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-UmTqW61H5hJXwMBDiNFjYQcEFJKRbRzzgSoP_Z4FXE/edit]I Keep Dreaming of an Empty Ocean[/url][/quote]
Quote:
There is no dragon this time. At least, Mountebank is nowhere to be found, unless he somehow transformed into a harsh pink chest.

Dreamland Chest

The chest is normal—bright pink is nothing out of the ordinary for a crate from the Arcane. After thorough inspection(unless you didn’t inspect the crate at all because you trust Mountebank that much), you open the crate and are greeted with:

Damp Ominous Textscrap
A damp piece of paper! (Oh, joy.)

On first sniff it smells like the sea, you can visualize the ocean waves, salty air, and the pitter-patter of tiny hatchling footsteps. Then, the rot hits you. You begin to cough as the stench buries itself deep within your throat. Thankfully it’s fleeting, and you regain your composure rather quickly, though hints still linger.

You debate whether or not its a good idea to read the story inside. After all, if you can’t even smell it, is the piece really something you should be read? Maybe. Maybe not.

Either way, you don your finest pair of reading glasses (if you need them, and if not, you wear them for posterity’s sake), and begin.

———
@sockmonkeygerald
Author: TheCount
ID Number:#339861
Entry: I Keep Dreaming of an Empty Ocean
daom3l7-a0e9d769-2c15-438e-b477-777b75bab85b.gif
[center][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/74428628][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/744287/74428628_350.png[/img][/url][/center] The jade obelisk takes a deep breath (wrinkling her nose midway) and lets it out very slowly. To herself she murmurs, "How does that quote go? You," she tells the rot-sodden paper, "are not a [i]safe[/i] story. But there's often more to be learned from the ones that aren't." Gently and carefully she carries the paper to join the rest waiting for the chance to join the hallowed spirits of the Story Keep. [@TheCount Your entry is good!]
74428628_350.png
The jade obelisk takes a deep breath (wrinkling her nose midway) and lets it out very slowly. To herself she murmurs, "How does that quote go? You," she tells the rot-sodden paper, "are not a safe story. But there's often more to be learned from the ones that aren't."

Gently and carefully she carries the paper to join the rest waiting for the chance to join the hallowed spirits of the Story Keep.

[@TheCount Your entry is good!]
1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 15 16