Back

Quests & Challenges

Quests, Challenges, and Festival games.
TOPIC | [BSJ] Design Your Own Light Rep
1 2 ... 47 48 49 50 51 ... 72 73
[item= hainu] Nothing spreads more joy than a dog with wings! And nothing can keep up with a dragon better than one ;) a hainu would be the perfect familiar for this boy because they’re social, fast, and quite cute! All qualities shared with this lucky gen1! Every scholar needs a companion to take their mind off their work and comfort on a rough day, which is exactly what a hainu can do! That makes it the perfect familiar and study buddy :) I envision the two working side by side, traveling together and being the best of friends! You’d never find them apart! [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/2462424/14#post_33877117] scry[/url] | [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/2462424/33#post_33906482] name [/url] | [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/2462424/45#post_33928726] apparel[/url]
Hainu

Nothing spreads more joy than a dog with wings! And nothing can keep up with a dragon better than one ;) a hainu would be the perfect familiar for this boy because they’re social, fast, and quite cute! All qualities shared with this lucky gen1!

Every scholar needs a companion to take their mind off their work and comfort on a rough day, which is exactly what a hainu can do! That makes it the perfect familiar and study buddy :)

I envision the two working side by side, traveling together and being the best of friends! You’d never find them apart!

scry | name | apparel
y3NW8md.gif mXMhPXb.png
[url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/2462424/24#post_33891418]First post[/url] (Description of his genes for an endangered light subspecies) [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/2462424/36#post_33911952]Second post[/url] (His name based on that same lore) [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/2462424/47#post_33930128]Third post[/url] (The story of Minuialrin's New Apparel) [quote name="Challenge #4: Familiar"] Choose a familiar as a companion for the dragon and describe their relationship! Please use the item code to display the icons.[/quote] [center][b]The Book[/b][/center] [columns] [img]https://musesings.files.wordpress.com/2018/06/minuialrin-skinny-book-post.png[/img] [nextcol] [img]http://flightrising.com/images/cms/familiar/art/15282.png[/img] [img]https://musesings.files.wordpress.com/2018/06/invisible-button.png[/img] [/columns] [columns] [item=Ensorcelled Volume] [nextcol] [size=4][i][b]Wham![/b][/i] As it turns out, destiny [i]hurts[/i] sometimes. That's what Minuialrin would later reflect upon, at any rate. Right now...well, right now he was a little too busy tailspinning to the ground with whatever had flown straight into him out of nowhere. A bird, he thought, as it flapped in a wild struggle, [/size][/columns][size=3][font=Verdana]apparently more confused than he, since he wasn't [i]trying[/i] to hold it captive. [i]A book,[/i] he finally realized. [i]A winged book,[/i] how extraordinary! Books so often told stories as well as people. Reverently, he tried to right them both as well as truly hold the book in his claws, if only to prevent it from doing further harm to those beautiful wings or the splendid binding. He hummed at it in coatl, finding the sound often comforted panicked creatures, all soothing words. Eventually, it seemed to resign itself to the capture and let him land in some pretty ruins, sun-dappled by the gold trees overgrowing the old structures. Lovingly, he stroked the spine and gave it a little praise, asked if he could look at its pages. The book...hesitated. Minuialrin wasn't sure how he knew without any speech or even a facial expression, but he sensed it didn't [i]want[/i] to open. It didn't want to be read. [i]It's embarrassed,[/i] he somehow knew. "Come now, what's a gorgeous tome like you have to be embarrassed about? I've read all kinds of stories, some from the Lightweaver herself," he coaxed it. Was that his imagination, or had the cover around the embellished golden emblem turned faintly pink? "I love every story." A few more moments of hesitation and finally, more shy than any dawnlight corona, it opened its pages to him. He blinked at the title. A Comprehensive Guide to Preparing Liver and Onions. So...not a story. "Oh," he said. The pages fluttered as if in a sad sigh. As if it'd done this all before, it leafed through itself to show him, all 300 pages. All liver and onions. Poor little book. As it began to close in reverse, something on page 195 caught his eye, flashing under the sunmotes. [i]Golden script, ghosting[/i] under the mundane recipes. "Wait!" He gasped the word. Then, remembering his manners he added, "Please? May I look closer?" After a considering pause, the book left its pages wide open and waiting, allowing him to scoop it back up and carry it into a full shaft of sun. "Why, you're bespelled, you poor thing! This isn't about liver and onions at all!" Only through the practice of reading Light's stories, did he see beyond the mundane facade. And the tales.... "Oh, your tales are breathtaking!" The pages fluttered again, this time with excitement. [i]"You...you can read me!?"[/i] New words glowed on to the page. [i]"No one...prove it, read these words out loud!" The bespelled tome could barely contain its own excitement as the dragon studied its pages. It dared to hope. Too long had it practically wasted away in silence, every word hidden in a most undignified fashion. Oh the stories it longed to tell![/i] "How [i]fascinating[/i]," Minuialrin hummed as the book not only [i]talked[/i] to him, but also told its own story, complete with third-person narration. He read the words aloud to it. The book was so happy it had to dance and flutter about in obvious excitement before flying back into his short coatl arms, just long enough to hug it back. For it was, indeed, hugging him, wings draped gently over his shoulders. It was the start of a beautiful friendship for them both and a fast bond. He hadn't even found a clan, but he'd already discovered the first of stories so desperate to be heard, and he, just as eager to discover every mystery and adventure within the pages.[/size][/font] [center][img]http://flightrising.com/images/cms/familiar/art/15282.png[/img] --------[/center] [i]Writer's notes: I've always loved this companion and the Dawnlight Corona's ability to read light itself presented a perfect opportunity to undo the whole liver and onions thing, which is funny, but always kept me from using it for several lore-heavy, not-obsessed-with-liver-and-onions dragons. I also feel like the undignified curse is why it's so desperate to get away from potential readers. Also, page 195 is signifcant. As of this post, the Ensorcelled Volume is #195 in the bestiary, unless I miscounted.[/i]
First post (Description of his genes for an endangered light subspecies)
Second post (His name based on that same lore)
Third post (The story of Minuialrin's New Apparel)
Challenge #4: Familiar wrote:
Choose a familiar as a companion for the dragon and describe their relationship!

Please use the item code to display the icons.
The Book
minuialrin-skinny-book-post.png
15282.png
invisible-button.png
Ensorcelled Volume

Wham!

As it turns out, destiny hurts sometimes. That's what Minuialrin would later reflect upon, at any rate. Right now...well, right now he was a little too busy tailspinning to the ground with whatever had flown straight into him out of nowhere. A bird, he thought, as it flapped in a wild struggle,
apparently more confused than he, since he wasn't trying to hold it captive.

A book, he finally realized. A winged book, how extraordinary! Books so often told stories as well as people. Reverently, he tried to right them both as well as truly hold the book in his claws, if only to prevent it from doing further harm to those beautiful wings or the splendid binding.

He hummed at it in coatl, finding the sound often comforted panicked creatures, all soothing words. Eventually, it seemed to resign itself to the capture and let him land in some pretty ruins, sun-dappled by the gold trees overgrowing the old structures.

Lovingly, he stroked the spine and gave it a little praise, asked if he could look at its pages.

The book...hesitated.

Minuialrin wasn't sure how he knew without any speech or even a facial expression, but he sensed it didn't want to open. It didn't want to be read.

It's embarrassed, he somehow knew.

"Come now, what's a gorgeous tome like you have to be embarrassed about? I've read all kinds of stories, some from the Lightweaver herself," he coaxed it. Was that his imagination, or had the cover around the embellished golden emblem turned faintly pink? "I love every story."

A few more moments of hesitation and finally, more shy than any dawnlight corona, it opened its pages to him.

He blinked at the title. A Comprehensive Guide to Preparing Liver and Onions.

So...not a story. "Oh," he said.

The pages fluttered as if in a sad sigh. As if it'd done this all before, it leafed through itself to show him, all 300 pages. All liver and onions. Poor little book.

As it began to close in reverse, something on page 195 caught his eye, flashing under the sunmotes. Golden script, ghosting under the mundane recipes.

"Wait!" He gasped the word. Then, remembering his manners he added, "Please? May I look closer?"

After a considering pause, the book left its pages wide open and waiting, allowing him to scoop it back up and carry it into a full shaft of sun.

"Why, you're bespelled, you poor thing! This isn't about liver and onions at all!" Only through the practice of reading Light's stories, did he see beyond the mundane facade. And the tales.... "Oh, your tales are breathtaking!"

The pages fluttered again, this time with excitement.

"You...you can read me!?" New words glowed on to the page. "No one...prove it, read these words out loud!" The bespelled tome could barely contain its own excitement as the dragon studied its pages. It dared to hope. Too long had it practically wasted away in silence, every word hidden in a most undignified fashion. Oh the stories it longed to tell!

"How fascinating," Minuialrin hummed as the book not only talked to him, but also told its own story, complete with third-person narration. He read the words aloud to it.

The book was so happy it had to dance and flutter about in obvious excitement before flying back into his short coatl arms, just long enough to hug it back. For it was, indeed, hugging him, wings draped gently over his shoulders.

It was the start of a beautiful friendship for them both and a fast bond. He hadn't even found a clan, but he'd already discovered the first of stories so desperate to be heard, and he, just as eager to discover every mystery and adventure within the pages.

15282.png

Writer's notes: I've always loved this companion and the Dawnlight Corona's ability to read light itself presented a perfect opportunity to undo the whole liver and onions thing, which is funny, but always kept me from using it for several lore-heavy, not-obsessed-with-liver-and-onions dragons. I also feel like the undignified curse is why it's so desperate to get away from potential readers.

Also, page 195 is signifcant. As of this post, the Ensorcelled Volume is #195 in the bestiary, unless I miscounted.

pixie-pronouns-2-2.png* * *Saronai made so many star badges and you liked them all! Thank you! Please keep them linked to Ylli's collection thread for others to find.* * * * * * * *Diem's Daily Dragons
[center]As I further explained with [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/2462424/39#post_33916557]Hypertem's outfit[/url] of how he's a kind of messenger of the Lightweaver and an almost demi-deity of Light, the Familiar that comes to mind for him is definitely the Luminous Ambassador. [item=luminous ambassador] As cliche as it may seem to choose the newest Familiar that came out with Brightshine, I believe it suits the headcanon I made for him perfectly. Hypertem, as a messenger of the Lightweaver and such, believes in the goodness and peace of the world, despite being very aware of all the bad that infest it. Just because he's optimistic and a dragontarian*, definitely in no way makes him naive or ignorant to the bad of the world. As such, he enjoys bringing peace and building up friendships not only with his Clan, but with other Clans as well; it's just in his nature to build bridges and such. Because of this, Hypertem voluntarily enjoys being an ambassador between his own Clan and other Clans that are not only surrounding his own, but any Clan, even the more hostile ones he will try his hardest to forge a peaceful and long-lasting friendship with. (*humanitarian, Dragon version) Oh, and just so you know, @/Amariel: I updated my post yesterday of his outfit (link above) so I got rid of the necklace, but the outfit is basically the same. :3
As I further explained with Hypertem's outfit of how he's a kind of messenger of the Lightweaver and an almost demi-deity of Light, the Familiar that comes to mind for him is definitely the Luminous Ambassador.

Luminous Ambassador

As cliche as it may seem to choose the newest Familiar that came out with Brightshine, I believe it suits the headcanon I made for him perfectly.

Hypertem, as a messenger of the Lightweaver and such, believes in the goodness and peace of the world, despite being very aware of all the bad that infest it. Just because he's optimistic and a dragontarian*, definitely in no way makes him naive or ignorant to the bad of the world.

As such, he enjoys bringing peace and building up friendships not only with his Clan, but with other Clans as well; it's just in his nature to build bridges and such. Because of this, Hypertem voluntarily enjoys being an ambassador between his own Clan and other Clans that are not only surrounding his own, but any Clan, even the more hostile ones he will try his hardest to forge a peaceful and long-lasting friendship with.

(*humanitarian, Dragon version)

Oh, and just so you know, @/Amariel: I updated my post yesterday of his outfit (link above) so I got rid of the necklace, but the outfit is basically the same. :3
U4Cs8mx.gif
|| He/She/They | FRT+3 | INFP | Demi x3 | Lore Clan | Eternal Acolight ||
floating_hearts_demiromantic_by_awesomewaffle11-dczokz7.giffloating_hearts_demigirl_by_awesomewaffle11-dczoifg.giffloating_hearts_demisexual_by_awesomewaffle11-dczokz2.gif
[center][item=glowing globe] "It's really just Full of hot air" But it's pleasant company when keeping the night watch at the edge of the Promenade. [/center]
Glowing Globe
"It's really just Full of hot air"
But it's pleasant company when keeping the night watch at the edge of the Promenade.
jt3PpxV.pngPwHm1vg.gifez8W9jX.gif
@Amariel Definitely Skoll. In Norse Mythology he seeks to eat the sun but never captures it...now he has, but it seems they get along ^^ [item=Sköll]
@Amariel
Definitely Skoll. In Norse Mythology he seeks to eat the sun but never captures it...now he has, but it seems they get along ^^
Y4lXWys.png1omRSjv.png
she/her | scorpio | FR+3 | owner of ID 46464646
i know it's unlikely to get my hands on one thats decently priced, but i'd love to give him a sunbeam soldier! [item=Sunbeam Soldier] after all, a messenger dragon may need protection, and the acolyte familiars are some of my favourite festival ones (probably second to the bears, but the light bear doesn't match his aesthetic)
i know it's unlikely to get my hands on one thats decently priced, but i'd love to give him a sunbeam soldier!

Sunbeam Soldier

after all, a messenger dragon may need protection, and the acolyte familiars are some of my favourite festival ones (probably second to the bears, but the light bear doesn't match his aesthetic)
Shining Goblin What better for Istion than this adorable little goblin? It’s one of my favorite familiars, but I don’t have it yet. Anyways, I imagine they would have a rather... odd relationship. Istion found it hurt one day, beside its former, dead, pearlcatcher partner. He pitied it, and took the time to heal it. But when he went to leave it stared at him with puppy dog eyes and he couldn’t bring himself to leave it, so he took it. He always means to find it a home or leave it somewhere, but he never can, and at some point it became his familiar. Not that he will ever admit it. The familiar never speaks a word, only stares around at the world with its big yellow eyes. It never leaves Istion’s side.
Shining Goblin What better for Istion than this adorable little goblin? It’s one of my favorite familiars, but I don’t have it yet. Anyways, I imagine they would have a rather... odd relationship. Istion found it hurt one day, beside its former, dead, pearlcatcher partner. He pitied it, and took the time to heal it. But when he went to leave it stared at him with puppy dog eyes and he couldn’t bring himself to leave it, so he took it. He always means to find it a home or leave it somewhere, but he never can, and at some point it became his familiar. Not that he will ever admit it. The familiar never speaks a word, only stares around at the world with its big yellow eyes. It never leaves Istion’s side.
antlers_left_by_broqentoys-dcsi472.png X
Call me Six
Aromantic • Asexual • Agender
they/them
antlers_right_by_broqentoys-dcsi46w.png
[b]Challenge #4: Familiar[/b] [item=brilliant psywurm] The colours of the Brilliant Psywurm are really complimentary with Ljoss's look ([url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/2462424/18#post_33881428]scry[/url], [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/2462424/45#post_33925765]apparel[/url]) without being overly matchy. I think they look good together. Also, the flavour text for the Psywurm says that they "love a good book. Usually preferring to nap on the one you're trying to read." I'm assuming that Brilliant Psywurms are much the same! So Ljoss would spend most of his time moving his familiar [i]off[/i] his reading material, grumbling all the while. Only for it to climb back in place minutes later. [s]Much like a cat.[/s] He's fond of it really, though. The phosphorescent mane comes in handy as a reading light. (Or it is when he can convince the Brilliant Psywurm to sit somewhere that [i]isn't[/i] what he's trying to read!) Also, I imagine if it has a photographic memory, it would be useful for finding lost notes, or obscure texts/scrolls in the library, when Ljoss himself can't remember where they are. :) I think the Brilliant Psywurm would give Ljoss loads of physical affection, and he'd kind of grudgingly return it - pretending that he doesn't adore his familiar, because if he admits to it, it'll ruin his aloof image! (But his familiar knows anyway.) (I also wanted to pick a familiar that actually I have and that isn't on another of my dragons!)
Challenge #4: Familiar

Brilliant Psywurm

The colours of the Brilliant Psywurm are really complimentary with Ljoss's look (scry, apparel) without being overly matchy. I think they look good together.

Also, the flavour text for the Psywurm says that they "love a good book. Usually preferring to nap on the one you're trying to read." I'm assuming that Brilliant Psywurms are much the same! So Ljoss would spend most of his time moving his familiar off his reading material, grumbling all the while. Only for it to climb back in place minutes later. Much like a cat.

He's fond of it really, though. The phosphorescent mane comes in handy as a reading light. (Or it is when he can convince the Brilliant Psywurm to sit somewhere that isn't what he's trying to read!) Also, I imagine if it has a photographic memory, it would be useful for finding lost notes, or obscure texts/scrolls in the library, when Ljoss himself can't remember where they are. :)

I think the Brilliant Psywurm would give Ljoss loads of physical affection, and he'd kind of grudgingly return it - pretending that he doesn't adore his familiar, because if he admits to it, it'll ruin his aloof image! (But his familiar knows anyway.)

(I also wanted to pick a familiar that actually I have and that isn't on another of my dragons!)
A two-toned pink eight-pointed compass rose with the Arcane symbol at the centre, with the word 'adept' hand-written in front of the downwards point
The Spire, home of the Lundlaevungar: a crystal island shaped like an inverted mountain floating above the sea in a yellow sky
The Pirate Trials button, linking to the thread: a pink pearl with subtle gold sparkles, with 'The Pirate Trials' handwritten in front; the P is an eye patch with a skull on it Arcane Badge depicting the Oculus of the Eleven
Clan Lore

Exalted Dragons

FR+8

they/them
[item=Crystal Carrier] [img]http://www1.flightrising.com/static/cms/familiar/art/20815.png[/img] Ezalor would definitely be a mage, and his familiar would have seer abilities. They're in-tune with each others' magic and go on all sorts of adventures together. [img]http://flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=1&body=140&bodygene=20&breed=7&element=8&eyetype=7&gender=0&tert=43&tertgene=12&winggene=20&wings=84&auth=5233f79e7479f20b1004ce7992a72eabf2ebdbc6&dummyext=prev.png[/img]
Crystal Carrier
20815.png

Ezalor would definitely be a mage, and his familiar would have seer abilities. They're in-tune with each others' magic and go on all sorts of adventures together.

dragon?age=1&body=140&bodygene=20&breed=7&element=8&eyetype=7&gender=0&tert=43&tertgene=12&winggene=20&wings=84&auth=5233f79e7479f20b1004ce7992a72eabf2ebdbc6&dummyext=prev.png
D7wuvpn.png
The familiar I have chosen for my dragon is Sköll the Wolf, Devourer of the Sun. I'm choosing this familiar because I absolutely love Norse mythology, and the colors match up with the dragons. Not only that, but Sköll is a mythical character, which really continues the theme of being a storyteller! [img]http://flightrising.com/images/cms/familiar/592.png[/img] edit: thank you sockmonkeygerald
The familiar I have chosen for my dragon is Sköll the Wolf, Devourer of the Sun. I'm choosing this familiar because I absolutely love Norse mythology, and the colors match up with the dragons. Not only that, but Sköll is a mythical character, which really continues the theme of being a storyteller!
592.png

edit: thank you sockmonkeygerald
1 2 ... 47 48 49 50 51 ... 72 73