Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | get rid of coli capchas!
not sure if that's how you spell it but oh well-

coli capchas are... not great. today i just clicked on random spots, trying to get it out of my way quickly, because i'm on a personal time constraint, and it locked me out. i've got pretty good eyesight, and even when i'm not on a harsh time constraint, i find it hard to see.
if kept, i think you shouldn't get one immeditaly as you open coli, and have there be a 30min cooldown so it's not as big a probelm.
not sure if that's how you spell it but oh well-

coli capchas are... not great. today i just clicked on random spots, trying to get it out of my way quickly, because i'm on a personal time constraint, and it locked me out. i've got pretty good eyesight, and even when i'm not on a harsh time constraint, i find it hard to see.
if kept, i think you shouldn't get one immeditaly as you open coli, and have there be a 30min cooldown so it's not as big a probelm.
rHxG0s7.pngY5ILoot.png tweaker| she/her
back from like a three year hiatus
With no ill will here, clicking on the captchas randomly and then getting locked out doesn't make the captchas a problem, but it does kind of prove why they're there.

The captchas exist in order to prevent botting of the Coliseum (which would basically let people AFK farm), so I don't see staff ever removing them entirely. Even a 30 minute cooldown sounds like a bit much, as you'd only have to check in every 30 minutes to make sure the botted Coli team is still going.

No support on entirely ditching Coli captchas, but I DO support a rework of them. It's been brought up several times, but many players (especially those that are visually impaired) have difficulty with the hyper-saturated grainy captchas in their current state. Even I have trouble sometimes, and my vision is pretty good.
With no ill will here, clicking on the captchas randomly and then getting locked out doesn't make the captchas a problem, but it does kind of prove why they're there.

The captchas exist in order to prevent botting of the Coliseum (which would basically let people AFK farm), so I don't see staff ever removing them entirely. Even a 30 minute cooldown sounds like a bit much, as you'd only have to check in every 30 minutes to make sure the botted Coli team is still going.

No support on entirely ditching Coli captchas, but I DO support a rework of them. It's been brought up several times, but many players (especially those that are visually impaired) have difficulty with the hyper-saturated grainy captchas in their current state. Even I have trouble sometimes, and my vision is pretty good.
ytkEBod.png
5iXiC8z.png
tyEuRXe.png
9PstSFT.png
Wn6vGC1.png
IrmwTXC.png
JuaytuP.png
mlHpBMC.png
nmHdjnM.png
loimysO.png
..…….
look-at-my-fursona-her-name-is-Marsh.png
wind.gif you-WILL-look-at-my-fursona.png
it could be replaced with a simpler captcha, or give you the option for a more traditional letter entry one. i think they happen too often and, while i can usually handle them fine, when i have migraines i usually have to guess.
it could be replaced with a simpler captcha, or give you the option for a more traditional letter entry one. i think they happen too often and, while i can usually handle them fine, when i have migraines i usually have to guess.
eNC9ZRF.jpeg
there's a thread about captchas that's only a few days younger than captchas themselves. about a year into that thread, an admin did say they were going to improve the captchas. they didn't.

the system is awful, is the reason i can't use the coliseum at all, and it's never going to change.
there's a thread about captchas that's only a few days younger than captchas themselves. about a year into that thread, an admin did say they were going to improve the captchas. they didn't.

the system is awful, is the reason i can't use the coliseum at all, and it's never going to change.
Tired | Xe / Xem / Xyr | Gymru | avatar
I think the image window just needs to be bigger. It's so darn small and it feels a bit ridiculous. If it were bigger and easier to see I feel that would fix a lot of the problem and should be one of the easier things to code.

I'd rather not switch to letter imputs or things like that because they actually take longer than a simple click the dragon. I don't mind our current captcha system, it just needs to be bigger and easier to see. I'm not sure why they made it so darn small.
I think the image window just needs to be bigger. It's so darn small and it feels a bit ridiculous. If it were bigger and easier to see I feel that would fix a lot of the problem and should be one of the easier things to code.

I'd rather not switch to letter imputs or things like that because they actually take longer than a simple click the dragon. I don't mind our current captcha system, it just needs to be bigger and easier to see. I'm not sure why they made it so darn small.
LVeJ3XV.png8KFUJHl.pngBVsqDM4.png
[quote name="vihuff" date="2024-07-25 18:49:45" ] I think the image window just needs to be bigger. It's so darn small and it feels a bit ridiculous. If it were bigger and easier to see I feel that would fix a lot of the problem and should be one of the easier things to code. [/quote] while i agree the captcha is too small, making it bigger would improve things only for users whose browsers don't have a zoom function. the problem is that the images [i]themselves[/i] are inherently inaccessible. to showcase [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/sug/2373235/74#post_56935198]a recent example from the larger thread[/url]: [quote name="Sunlightdruid" date="2024-06-07 07:24:46" ] [img]https://i.imgur.com/cmsZzhi.png[/img] I don't have vision issues. Finding the dragon on this particular captcha was not easy. I cannot imagine how anyone with vision issues is able to try and do these captchas. I already have to have it zoomed in to find the dragons. The fact that this has been an ongoing issue for several years is disappointing. [/quote] before i gave up on the coli, i had captchas like this all the time. i probably would have clicked on the citrine familiar. i can immediately tell that an item icon is not a dragon because they're square, and i know the axolotls aren't a dragon because they're axolotls. the only other distinct shape left is the familiar, which is vaguely dragon-like (four legs, a head, wings). i would have failed this captcha. i opened the image in photoshop and turned up the contrast as high as it would let me. [img]https://f2.toyhou.se/file/f2-toyhou-se/images/85849032_zorL1gVcOu9b7lH.png[/img] this makes the dragon stand out better, but it's still the least visible image in the entire captcha. so i reduced the contrast of everything except the dragon [img]https://f2.toyhou.se/file/f2-toyhou-se/images/85849229_emUQ1rapiYnpdTA.png[/img] i think this represents the [i]absolute bare minimum[/i] for an even vaguely usable captcha. even this, i think, is terrible, too busy, and too misleading. but at least the dragon is actually Visible now. the problem is the busy background. the problem, always, is that the dragons look so much like the background they're functionally invisible. ironically, because i used software to render the dragon visible, that means a computer would have an easier time identifying it than a human. to be reliably accessible, the captcha would need to have a completely plain, flat-colour, uniform background that never changes. black, white, grey, pink, chartreuse, it doesn't matter. it just needs to always have that one background colour that is always the same in every captcha.
vihuff wrote on 2024-07-25 18:49:45:

while i agree the captcha is too small, making it bigger would improve things only for users whose browsers don't have a zoom function.

the problem is that the images themselves are inherently inaccessible.

to showcase a recent example from the larger thread:
Sunlightdruid wrote on 2024-06-07 07:24:46:
cmsZzhi.png

I don't have vision issues. Finding the dragon on this particular captcha was not easy. I cannot imagine how anyone with vision issues is able to try and do these captchas. I already have to have it zoomed in to find the dragons.

The fact that this has been an ongoing issue for several years is disappointing.

before i gave up on the coli, i had captchas like this all the time. i probably would have clicked on the citrine familiar. i can immediately tell that an item icon is not a dragon because they're square, and i know the axolotls aren't a dragon because they're axolotls.

the only other distinct shape left is the familiar, which is vaguely dragon-like (four legs, a head, wings). i would have failed this captcha.

i opened the image in photoshop and turned up the contrast as high as it would let me.
85849032_zorL1gVcOu9b7lH.png
this makes the dragon stand out better, but it's still the least visible image in the entire captcha.

so i reduced the contrast of everything except the dragon
85849229_emUQ1rapiYnpdTA.png
i think this represents the absolute bare minimum for an even vaguely usable captcha. even this, i think, is terrible, too busy, and too misleading. but at least the dragon is actually Visible now.

the problem is the busy background. the problem, always, is that the dragons look so much like the background they're functionally invisible. ironically, because i used software to render the dragon visible, that means a computer would have an easier time identifying it than a human.

to be reliably accessible, the captcha would need to have a completely plain, flat-colour, uniform background that never changes. black, white, grey, pink, chartreuse, it doesn't matter. it just needs to always have that one background colour that is always the same in every captcha.
Tired | Xe / Xem / Xyr | Gymru | avatar
Remove Coliseum captchas entirely? No support.
They are in place to stop cheating. Cheaters directly affect the game economy in the worst way.

Better Captchas? Absolutely.
The problem is that it's very difficult to make a test that is completely bot-proof, but also not human-proof. This is why accessibility can be a difficult balance.

The gamerunners have said that they were looking into making the Captchas more accessible, and it has been quite some time since then, but that doesn't mean that they aren't still working on it - it is not an easy task. I really do hope that they find a solution that works for more people sooner than later.
Remove Coliseum captchas entirely? No support.
They are in place to stop cheating. Cheaters directly affect the game economy in the worst way.

Better Captchas? Absolutely.
The problem is that it's very difficult to make a test that is completely bot-proof, but also not human-proof. This is why accessibility can be a difficult balance.

The gamerunners have said that they were looking into making the Captchas more accessible, and it has been quite some time since then, but that doesn't mean that they aren't still working on it - it is not an easy task. I really do hope that they find a solution that works for more people sooner than later.
shadow_banner.pngA shadowy dragon which is representative of Zenzic's persona. An original design.shadow_banner.png
Imagination is the reality of our dreamscape.
I think this was the most recent detailed update about it, and it was high on the dev to-do list after the refactor. We can expect an update to it pretty soon, I think. :)

https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/frd/3204941
I think this was the most recent detailed update about it, and it was high on the dev to-do list after the refactor. We can expect an update to it pretty soon, I think. :)

https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/frd/3204941
1WaPPyd.png

divider by irithyll
[quote name="BassetBites" date="2024-07-25 15:01:01" ] With no ill will here, clicking on the captchas randomly and then getting locked out doesn't make the captchas a problem, but it does kind of prove why they're there. [/quote] I did a several hour coli session yesterday (need more Hibernal Den spaces) and almost half the time I accurately click on a dragon, it fails me and gives me another one. While randomly clicking will obviously lock you out, I have been locked out of the coli after correctly clicking dragons. Not only are the captchas atrocious, they're [i]broken[/i]. And have been for six years.
BassetBites wrote on 2024-07-25 15:01:01:

I did a several hour coli session yesterday (need more Hibernal Den spaces) and almost half the time I accurately click on a dragon, it fails me and gives me another one. While randomly clicking will obviously lock you out, I have been locked out of the coli after correctly clicking dragons.

Not only are the captchas atrocious, they're broken. And have been for six years.
Need a Dragon Bio? Check out my Lore Shop!
tumblr_inline_naz0azrMBD1qg78ij.png
[quote name="McAlli" date="2024-07-26 08:17:00" ] [quote name="BassetBites" date="2024-07-25 15:01:01" ] With no ill will here, clicking on the captchas randomly and then getting locked out doesn't make the captchas a problem, but it does kind of prove why they're there. [/quote] I did a several hour coli session yesterday (need more Hibernal Den spaces) and almost half the time I accurately click on a dragon, it fails me and gives me another one. While randomly clicking will obviously lock you out, I have been locked out of the coli after correctly clicking dragons. Not only are the captchas atrocious, they're [i]broken[/i]. And have been for six years. [/quote] I absolutely agree with you, the captchas need a serious revamp because they're in an awful state as of now. It's not uncommon for me to use multiple attempts to get past them because they're so bad. My point was more "if you click randomly and get locked out [i]because[/i] you were clicking randomly, that's kind of your own fault and not evidence that the captchas are broken." If a bot could click randomly on the graphic and get past captchas a good majority of the time, it defeats their purpose.
McAlli wrote on 2024-07-26 08:17:00:
BassetBites wrote on 2024-07-25 15:01:01:

I did a several hour coli session yesterday (need more Hibernal Den spaces) and almost half the time I accurately click on a dragon, it fails me and gives me another one. While randomly clicking will obviously lock you out, I have been locked out of the coli after correctly clicking dragons.

Not only are the captchas atrocious, they're broken. And have been for six years.
I absolutely agree with you, the captchas need a serious revamp because they're in an awful state as of now. It's not uncommon for me to use multiple attempts to get past them because they're so bad.

My point was more "if you click randomly and get locked out because you were clicking randomly, that's kind of your own fault and not evidence that the captchas are broken." If a bot could click randomly on the graphic and get past captchas a good majority of the time, it defeats their purpose.
ytkEBod.png
5iXiC8z.png
tyEuRXe.png
9PstSFT.png
Wn6vGC1.png
IrmwTXC.png
JuaytuP.png
mlHpBMC.png
nmHdjnM.png
loimysO.png
..…….
look-at-my-fursona-her-name-is-Marsh.png