Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Stop making stylistic gene changes
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Support. The sheer amount of errors combined with poor communication from staff and the length of time it takes for these errors to be fixed has burned me a few too many times. I remember being super excited during the first few ancient releases, scrying and buying and geneing dragons from scratch as soon as they came out, but it's happened too often that something I thought was a cool stylistic choice turned out to be an error and this was not clearly communicated.

In those cases the blame could fall upon me for not meticulously checking the gene error thread (which really should be somewhere more prominent) and... I guess being excited about new content on a site I really enjoy? Side note-- gene errors should NOT be information players have to actively dig for. If I am spending gems on this site, I should be told upfront that I'm spending money on a glitched gene. At any rate, I learned pretty quick to be suspicious of any genes that were too interesting-looking, and lately I've felt like I have to sit back and wait a few weeks when a new breed is released before I buy any genes for them whatsoever. This was already somewhat upsetting when the errors at least tended to be somewhat obvious and were communicated in the error thread (as tucked away as that is when I'm just trying to scry). However, in most of those cases, at least the errors were actual errors and not... whatever this is.

This sets a precedent that genes can have stylistic changes made to them despite not appearing to contain any actual errors weeks or months after the fact. As someone who in the past enjoyed geneing ancients when they first came out so I could contribute cool dragons to the gene pool.... it's just made me hesitant to gene ANYTHING. Especially new genes or new breeds. I don't want to spend treasure, let alone gems, knowing that there's a small but non-zero chance the dragon's appearance will be changed a few months down the line due to an "error" that didn't look like an error at all.
Support. The sheer amount of errors combined with poor communication from staff and the length of time it takes for these errors to be fixed has burned me a few too many times. I remember being super excited during the first few ancient releases, scrying and buying and geneing dragons from scratch as soon as they came out, but it's happened too often that something I thought was a cool stylistic choice turned out to be an error and this was not clearly communicated.

In those cases the blame could fall upon me for not meticulously checking the gene error thread (which really should be somewhere more prominent) and... I guess being excited about new content on a site I really enjoy? Side note-- gene errors should NOT be information players have to actively dig for. If I am spending gems on this site, I should be told upfront that I'm spending money on a glitched gene. At any rate, I learned pretty quick to be suspicious of any genes that were too interesting-looking, and lately I've felt like I have to sit back and wait a few weeks when a new breed is released before I buy any genes for them whatsoever. This was already somewhat upsetting when the errors at least tended to be somewhat obvious and were communicated in the error thread (as tucked away as that is when I'm just trying to scry). However, in most of those cases, at least the errors were actual errors and not... whatever this is.

This sets a precedent that genes can have stylistic changes made to them despite not appearing to contain any actual errors weeks or months after the fact. As someone who in the past enjoyed geneing ancients when they first came out so I could contribute cool dragons to the gene pool.... it's just made me hesitant to gene ANYTHING. Especially new genes or new breeds. I don't want to spend treasure, let alone gems, knowing that there's a small but non-zero chance the dragon's appearance will be changed a few months down the line due to an "error" that didn't look like an error at all.
art of an astronaut holding a paintbrush, pointing at themselves, with the text 'BUY MY ART, COWARD'
Support. Honestly, it's one thing if you say it's an error the same day of release. That happens. But months down the line with nobody even realising it's a bug, and then suddenly changing half the available genes for "consistencies' sake"??? Huh??? There's plenty of genes that aren't completely consistent between breeds (should we expect bogsneak underbelly and glimmer to change overnight because it's "inconsistent with the other breeds?) the genes didn't look bugged. I had no idea they were considered as much. If have gened multiple auraboa, and it feels like an extreme waste of money and time if their genes can suddenly change without warning, months down the line.

Please stop doing this. It makes me not want to participate in buying or geneing new breeds, because why would I bother when months, even years down the line, a dragon I thought looked good is suddenly considered "too inconsistent with other breeds"
Support. Honestly, it's one thing if you say it's an error the same day of release. That happens. But months down the line with nobody even realising it's a bug, and then suddenly changing half the available genes for "consistencies' sake"??? Huh??? There's plenty of genes that aren't completely consistent between breeds (should we expect bogsneak underbelly and glimmer to change overnight because it's "inconsistent with the other breeds?) the genes didn't look bugged. I had no idea they were considered as much. If have gened multiple auraboa, and it feels like an extreme waste of money and time if their genes can suddenly change without warning, months down the line.

Please stop doing this. It makes me not want to participate in buying or geneing new breeds, because why would I bother when months, even years down the line, a dragon I thought looked good is suddenly considered "too inconsistent with other breeds"
————————
— Cha
— they/them
Skin Shop
Wishlist
Eot-S-icon.png
x
Witch-s-heart-icon.png
x
Untitled1954.png
Everyone's already said everything I could think of and any two cents of mine have already been plopped in threads tied to this pathetic mess.

I've been playing every day since I joined back in late 2017. My closest friend is someone I met through this site. For once, I no longer wish to play FR due to this and various other gameplay issues that have just acted as a ticking time bomb to my patience. The treasure marketplace's gene bloat and the uselessness of Glass & Gloss in it only increasing across various site activities, the coliseum captcha still not being tackled despite it easily being over a year since it'd been mentioned as awaiting a revamp by staff, Arlo's whole shtick with the unending piles of tools VS miniscule amount of activity to be done at once with an arbitrary limiter on research notes, artificial scarcity on Y1-Y2 fest items despite all others being obtainable through Joxar's spare inventory crates, the gathering feature only getting worse for keeping huge lairs fed or getting specific low level drops the higher your level, the empty apologies with the same mistakes being made over and over - I can't take it anymore. I can't even trust what I spent my limited income on for items on this site. Why should I spend anything on it again?

I'm apprehensive to touch any future or even recent ancients, which is sad considering how much I loved the concept back when it was new. Anything new now has been so dreadfully unpolished or even flat out incorrect that I don't even have it in me to laugh in disbelief. I regret spending money on my dragons that were affected by pointless changes. And they weren't exactly cheap.

I truly never thought I'd be sick enough of anything with this site that I'd even think to bounce (and I was here for all stages of the eyepocalypse!) but it's actually happened and breaks my heart with how much it meant to me.

It's heartbreaking and disgusting both.
Everyone's already said everything I could think of and any two cents of mine have already been plopped in threads tied to this pathetic mess.

I've been playing every day since I joined back in late 2017. My closest friend is someone I met through this site. For once, I no longer wish to play FR due to this and various other gameplay issues that have just acted as a ticking time bomb to my patience. The treasure marketplace's gene bloat and the uselessness of Glass & Gloss in it only increasing across various site activities, the coliseum captcha still not being tackled despite it easily being over a year since it'd been mentioned as awaiting a revamp by staff, Arlo's whole shtick with the unending piles of tools VS miniscule amount of activity to be done at once with an arbitrary limiter on research notes, artificial scarcity on Y1-Y2 fest items despite all others being obtainable through Joxar's spare inventory crates, the gathering feature only getting worse for keeping huge lairs fed or getting specific low level drops the higher your level, the empty apologies with the same mistakes being made over and over - I can't take it anymore. I can't even trust what I spent my limited income on for items on this site. Why should I spend anything on it again?

I'm apprehensive to touch any future or even recent ancients, which is sad considering how much I loved the concept back when it was new. Anything new now has been so dreadfully unpolished or even flat out incorrect that I don't even have it in me to laugh in disbelief. I regret spending money on my dragons that were affected by pointless changes. And they weren't exactly cheap.

I truly never thought I'd be sick enough of anything with this site that I'd even think to bounce (and I was here for all stages of the eyepocalypse!) but it's actually happened and breaks my heart with how much it meant to me.

It's heartbreaking and disgusting both.
chxjGgQ.gif

He/Him
BPco0tZ.png HQsa6bD.png xvCXjXc.png FR+3
support

wish we would get some sort of staff response
support

wish we would get some sort of staff response
Full support! It was heartening to see Obelisk Flaunt/Flair reverted after player feedback was received, but now it's disappointing to see more of these sudden changes, especially since it's been quite some time since Auras and Surges were released. I put plenty of time and effort into customizing my dragons, as do so many other players. To see those customizations suddenly taken away without warning again is so frustrating.
Full support! It was heartening to see Obelisk Flaunt/Flair reverted after player feedback was received, but now it's disappointing to see more of these sudden changes, especially since it's been quite some time since Auras and Surges were released. I put plenty of time and effort into customizing my dragons, as do so many other players. To see those customizations suddenly taken away without warning again is so frustrating.
Disillusionist's Lore & More .. {Free} bio resourcesLF Affiliates
female / INTJ / Capricorn / +16 FR time
Clan: FAQ | Stats | Lore Thread | Directory | Avatar
Wishlists: outfits & genes | general | familiars
Please check the spelling of my name when pinging me: @Disillusionist. Thanks!
Fantastic update everyone, they just changed the listing on Breakup and Hypnotic for Auraboas! The upper portion of the wings aren't going to be changed on them. However the situation is still ongoing and there are still other issues to fix, so, here is to hoping they are!
Fantastic update everyone, they just changed the listing on Breakup and Hypnotic for Auraboas! The upper portion of the wings aren't going to be changed on them. However the situation is still ongoing and there are still other issues to fix, so, here is to hoping they are!
FBQ2O1C.pngartshop_sig_for_FR.png 7996FBCC-4759-4020-84D0-67A2276112E9.png
As the least interested person in ancients ever, support. Having differences between genes isn't bad, especially if it's ancients that have basically nothing else going on for them except unique anatomy and genes. This maybe would be less upsetting if the gene errors were more accessible to read about or marked in scrying workshop in some way, but in the current state of the system it's better to not make those "consistency" changes at all.
As the least interested person in ancients ever, support. Having differences between genes isn't bad, especially if it's ancients that have basically nothing else going on for them except unique anatomy and genes. This maybe would be less upsetting if the gene errors were more accessible to read about or marked in scrying workshop in some way, but in the current state of the system it's better to not make those "consistency" changes at all.
yc5gmUQ.png Zi7pp4c.pngGNdJbNa.png
bvA5p4p.pngnoFemaF.png
BHzuYGn.pngVHoOPqU.png
vWxS68G.gif
Full support. I'm still baffled that Diamondback was CONFIRMED to be correct with the upper wing sections being blank, while all other genes are incorrect. The upper wing section is still labeled as "mane" on the PSDs, so it should be stylistically treated as the mane on other breeds. This means the streaky crack-less Breakup and plain shiny Paisley are the correct versions of the gene. At this point this is not fixing a mistake, it's making a deliberate decision to make the upper Auraboa wings have mane rendering, and then realizing you don't actually like that decision anymore, and walking back on it. If you are doing that, I feel like Diamondback should get patterns everywhere on the wing then, since on Sandsurges the fin is also patterned. Also, I've just learned about the Sandsurge Blend changes, and it has led me down a rabbithole of Blend inconsistencies. For reference, here is my affected dragon. I personally find the new one worse, but I can live with it. He's rescued by the fact Blood Blend is pretty tonal and muted, so I can probably get used to the new one, even if I like it less. [b]EDIT: [/b]Also, I want to add my support to revert Sandsurge Blend to its old version in the main body of my suggestion with regards to everything I list below. [center][size=4][b]Old: [img]https://i.ibb.co/Lt0nXzq/89274492-350.png[/img] New: [img]https://i.ibb.co/26gCf7M/17085048183467779500572945312994.png[/img][/center] ----- Here's where the interesting part starts.[b] Old Sandsurge Blend was more consistent with other breeds than the new one.[/b] Old version was consistent with 4 other breeds where the accent color is on the inner part of the fin/head crest. New Snurge Blend is only consistent with [b]two[/b] breeds with the accent color being on the outer tips of the fin/crest: Coatls and Wildclaws. It seems they got the "mane" treatment, since manes usually get hair tips colored with the accent color. Breeds with true manes/fur tufts were not counted as they get their own rendering. ----- [center][size=4][b]New Snurge Blend is only consistent with these two breeds: [img]https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=1&body=165&bodygene=18&breed=12&element=3&eyetype=3&gender=0&tert=11&tertgene=0&winggene=42&wings=60&auth=c3fb705fc151bebf005100373eff62d89ab6ea88&dummyext=prev.png[/img][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=1&body=165&bodygene=18&breed=10&element=3&eyetype=3&gender=0&tert=11&tertgene=0&winggene=42&wings=60&auth=21c5181fa02418d802f8b0fc596961813c38cef1&dummyext=prev.png[/img][/center] ----- [center][size=4][b]Old Snurge Blend was consistent with these four breeds: [img]https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=1&body=60&bodygene=42&breed=1&element=3&eyetype=3&gender=0&tert=11&tertgene=0&winggene=42&wings=60&auth=7c757a8bd503d37d4a6a7efd9a21016d5866a893&dummyext=prev.png[/img][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=1&body=165&bodygene=18&breed=13&element=3&eyetype=3&gender=1&tert=11&tertgene=0&winggene=42&wings=60&auth=637905ed0c64144ddc0cdbbb728fb3f32a0efcf8&dummyext=prev.png[/img][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=1&body=165&bodygene=255&breed=24&element=3&eyetype=3&gender=0&tert=11&tertgene=0&winggene=242&wings=60&auth=154c85325c418460139b205e9803610e85f68ab6&dummyext=prev.png[/img][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=1&body=165&bodygene=129&breed=21&element=3&eyetype=3&gender=0&tert=11&tertgene=0&winggene=115&wings=60&auth=56582fe7e69b240d7188eb7a1ddc3e07ea899448&dummyext=prev.png[/img][/center] ----- [center][size=4][b]Bogsneaks are outliers and have no accent color on the fins at all: [img]https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=1&body=165&bodygene=18&breed=14&element=3&eyetype=3&gender=0&tert=11&tertgene=0&winggene=42&wings=60&auth=75df41a3acb565b71a3d8b6b1daa70aa70eeecd1&dummyext=prev.png[/img][/center]
Full support. I'm still baffled that Diamondback was CONFIRMED to be correct with the upper wing sections being blank, while all other genes are incorrect. The upper wing section is still labeled as "mane" on the PSDs, so it should be stylistically treated as the mane on other breeds. This means the streaky crack-less Breakup and plain shiny Paisley are the correct versions of the gene.
At this point this is not fixing a mistake, it's making a deliberate decision to make the upper Auraboa wings have mane rendering, and then realizing you don't actually like that decision anymore, and walking back on it. If you are doing that, I feel like Diamondback should get patterns everywhere on the wing then, since on Sandsurges the fin is also patterned.

Also, I've just learned about the Sandsurge Blend changes, and it has led me down a rabbithole of Blend inconsistencies.

For reference, here is my affected dragon. I personally find the new one worse, but I can live with it. He's rescued by the fact Blood Blend is pretty tonal and muted, so I can probably get used to the new one, even if I like it less.

EDIT: Also, I want to add my support to revert Sandsurge Blend to its old version in the main body of my suggestion with regards to everything I list below.
Old:
89274492-350.png

New:
17085048183467779500572945312994.png

Here's where the interesting part starts. Old Sandsurge Blend was more consistent with other breeds than the new one. Old version was consistent with 4 other breeds where the accent color is on the inner part of the fin/head crest. New Snurge Blend is only consistent with two breeds with the accent color being on the outer tips of the fin/crest: Coatls and Wildclaws. It seems they got the "mane" treatment, since manes usually get hair tips colored with the accent color. Breeds with true manes/fur tufts were not counted as they get their own rendering.

New Snurge Blend is only consistent
with these two breeds:

dragon?age=1&body=165&bodygene=18&breed=12&element=3&eyetype=3&gender=0&tert=11&tertgene=0&winggene=42&wings=60&auth=c3fb705fc151bebf005100373eff62d89ab6ea88&dummyext=prev.pngdragon?age=1&body=165&bodygene=18&breed=10&element=3&eyetype=3&gender=0&tert=11&tertgene=0&winggene=42&wings=60&auth=21c5181fa02418d802f8b0fc596961813c38cef1&dummyext=prev.png

Old Snurge Blend was consistent
with these four breeds:

dragon?age=1&body=60&bodygene=42&breed=1&element=3&eyetype=3&gender=0&tert=11&tertgene=0&winggene=42&wings=60&auth=7c757a8bd503d37d4a6a7efd9a21016d5866a893&dummyext=prev.pngdragon?age=1&body=165&bodygene=18&breed=13&element=3&eyetype=3&gender=1&tert=11&tertgene=0&winggene=42&wings=60&auth=637905ed0c64144ddc0cdbbb728fb3f32a0efcf8&dummyext=prev.pngdragon?age=1&body=165&bodygene=255&breed=24&element=3&eyetype=3&gender=0&tert=11&tertgene=0&winggene=242&wings=60&auth=154c85325c418460139b205e9803610e85f68ab6&dummyext=prev.pngdragon?age=1&body=165&bodygene=129&breed=21&element=3&eyetype=3&gender=0&tert=11&tertgene=0&winggene=115&wings=60&auth=56582fe7e69b240d7188eb7a1ddc3e07ea899448&dummyext=prev.png

Bogsneaks are outliers and have
no accent color on the fins at all:

dragon?age=1&body=165&bodygene=18&breed=14&element=3&eyetype=3&gender=0&tert=11&tertgene=0&winggene=42&wings=60&auth=75df41a3acb565b71a3d8b6b1daa70aa70eeecd1&dummyext=prev.png
..... image.png
-.-
-

FR+10 | She/It | 23

-.-
Tumblr Blog | Skin Shop
--
-.- 01.png
Support. If its not broken, don't fix it.
Support. If its not broken, don't fix it.
F60-DFEB2-D40-F-4-B07-A4-FE-51-FDC0-B173-EB.png
coming from someone who doesn't care about auras at all, support!

honestly this whole thing just seems like such a waste of time for the artists behind it. why fix what's not broken? why make such a drastic change to a gene, which has been proven time and time again that your players won't like it??? why make an artist "fix" a gene when they could have been doing anything else??

this entire fiasco makes no sense to me at all.
coming from someone who doesn't care about auras at all, support!

honestly this whole thing just seems like such a waste of time for the artists behind it. why fix what's not broken? why make such a drastic change to a gene, which has been proven time and time again that your players won't like it??? why make an artist "fix" a gene when they could have been doing anything else??

this entire fiasco makes no sense to me at all.
she/her
autistic
ping pls
fr+8
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8