Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | native flight music?
1 2 3 4 5 6
so i like music. thats it thats the motivation for making this post

but nah im just curious on how people think music would sound from flight to flight

edit: this was pretty fun to read what people thought (especially lightning k-pop lmao) thought i'd edit in my own takes

theres no doubt wind has a lot of music, from bamboo flutes to lyres! also love the sea shanty idea proposed here

i feel like earth would have pretty little when it comes to music, but that it'd use a lot of drums or even straight up rocks to perform, lyrics mainly focus on histories of the clans the song originates and the past ages

lightning has elevator music

light has a more classical style, usually don't have lyrics and the ones that do whisper of knowledge and secrets long gone

shadow has evil carnival music, lots of magic tricks and dancing and such

prepare your ears if you ever go to a fire band
so i like music. thats it thats the motivation for making this post

but nah im just curious on how people think music would sound from flight to flight

edit: this was pretty fun to read what people thought (especially lightning k-pop lmao) thought i'd edit in my own takes

theres no doubt wind has a lot of music, from bamboo flutes to lyres! also love the sea shanty idea proposed here

i feel like earth would have pretty little when it comes to music, but that it'd use a lot of drums or even straight up rocks to perform, lyrics mainly focus on histories of the clans the song originates and the past ages

lightning has elevator music

light has a more classical style, usually don't have lyrics and the ones that do whisper of knowledge and secrets long gone

shadow has evil carnival music, lots of magic tricks and dancing and such

prepare your ears if you ever go to a fire band
Y0w97b1.png astronic-fr
» he/they
» g1 lair
» art shop
XufexgK.gif
earth has thumping bass and drums that shake your core, and Shadow has bright cheery music with dark undertones.

fire is a heavy metal band
earth has thumping bass and drums that shake your core, and Shadow has bright cheery music with dark undertones.

fire is a heavy metal band
beware of spelling errord, my keyboard is broken and my hands finemotor skills are too.
please click on my creatures, thanks
Lab Profile
The Windswept Plateau is absolutely covered in bamboo. My first assumption is Wind Flight would use the resources readily available to them to craft instruments. [img]https://cdn.shoplightspeed.com/shops/635419/files/53221382/peru-small-pan-flute-peru.jpg[/img] [img]https://media.karousell.com/media/photos/products/2020/01/04/bamboo_xylophone_from_bali_1578134933_c2cb6df7_progressive.jpg[/img] Pan flutes, normal flutes, and xylophones all seem appropriate, and I think they all fit Wind's vibe as well! I could also see them using other types of wind instruments, like ocarinas and horns. Overall: Legend of Zelda music. They listen to and compose LoZ music.
The Windswept Plateau is absolutely covered in bamboo. My first assumption is Wind Flight would use the resources readily available to them to craft instruments.

peru-small-pan-flute-peru.jpg
bamboo_xylophone_from_bali_1578134933_c2cb6df7_progressive.jpg

Pan flutes, normal flutes, and xylophones all seem appropriate, and I think they all fit Wind's vibe as well! I could also see them using other types of wind instruments, like ocarinas and horns.

Overall: Legend of Zelda music. They listen to and compose LoZ music.
ytkEBod.png
5iXiC8z.png
tyEuRXe.png
9PstSFT.png
Wn6vGC1.png
IrmwTXC.png
JuaytuP.png
mlHpBMC.png
nmHdjnM.png
loimysO.png
..…….
look-at-my-fursona-her-name-is-Marsh.png
wind.gif you-WILL-look-at-my-fursona.png
Arcane definitely has some synthwave stuff going on
Arcane definitely has some synthwave stuff going on
MUYNhfy.pngpZJYyk4.png
DoQJ9XF.pngcutkr0S.png
fHKOi67.pngmlHpBMC.png
[shaking with unexpected energy]

Wind and Water have sea shanties, you can't tell me otherwise. Water usually has them above-water, especially in Flotsam Town. Wind's Air Shanties(tm) are considerably more energetic and optimistic than Water's. like... Water sings Brisbane Harbor and all the classics, Wind jams to Drunken Sailor and Santiana while they work in Millmeadows or whatever they do. if that makes any sense hgjfdf
[shaking with unexpected energy]

Wind and Water have sea shanties, you can't tell me otherwise. Water usually has them above-water, especially in Flotsam Town. Wind's Air Shanties(tm) are considerably more energetic and optimistic than Water's. like... Water sings Brisbane Harbor and all the classics, Wind jams to Drunken Sailor and Santiana while they work in Millmeadows or whatever they do. if that makes any sense hgjfdf
sh5xjiu.pnglYb2AyL.pngJvUa9ma.png
WI7lnRZ.pngYMPbu9R.png0TXmqsz.png
?89J86=party_oras.png
hmmm i think ice music would have an almost eerie quality to it? like imagine the tinkling of icicles echoing in a vast ice cavern!

also, taking from real world inspiration (let me know if it isn't appropriate), i think an approximation of throat singing (as observed in inuit, tuvan, and tibetan cultures) could be part of it somehow and is cool to think about when accounting for different dragon biology! for example, inuit throat singing is traditionally a duet to see who can outlast the other and it makes me think of how aberrations would approach that versus other dragon breeds!

it's super cool to imagine gaolers doing that deeper sort of more guttural tibetan throat singing inspired sound as well, there's a lot of variations across cultures :D
hmmm i think ice music would have an almost eerie quality to it? like imagine the tinkling of icicles echoing in a vast ice cavern!

also, taking from real world inspiration (let me know if it isn't appropriate), i think an approximation of throat singing (as observed in inuit, tuvan, and tibetan cultures) could be part of it somehow and is cool to think about when accounting for different dragon biology! for example, inuit throat singing is traditionally a duet to see who can outlast the other and it makes me think of how aberrations would approach that versus other dragon breeds!

it's super cool to imagine gaolers doing that deeper sort of more guttural tibetan throat singing inspired sound as well, there's a lot of variations across cultures :D
tumblr_inline_nb17n4oppf1qg78ij.png _________________ T3mCp93.png _________________ tumblr_inline_nb17n9a7r91qg78ij.png
Earth has rock.
Earth has rock.
.~.~*~.~.
~* SCB *~
* accent *
~*shop*~
.~.~*~.~.

___* BUY *

___* BUY *

___* BUY *

___* BUY *
-_-JRZc9fI.png
Ooh wait I remember talking about this somewhere a while ago... (rummages back through my history) Here it is! Plus some extra thoughts from Present Me. [rule] [emoji=wind rune size=1] Wind is the most musically-oriented flight, but specifically I could see them making enormous woodwind-style instruments (out of bamboo, maybe?) that they play by using magic to direct wind through them. Like a church organ made out of flutes. [emoji=fire rune size=1] Fire is a flight full of miners and metallurgists, so I imagine they're fond of drums/percussion that mimic the sound of stomping and singing during work. They could shape brass instruments too, so you might find the occasional Fire flight performer, but probably not in a group. [emoji=shadow rune size=1] Shadow plays violins, but only at the screechy horror sting range. That, and/or I could see them enjoying piano. And music boxes, maybe? [emoji=ice rune size=1] Tundras would probably like soft music and lullabies. There isn't much to make instruments out of in the Southern Icefield, but they're getting the metal to make chains from [i]somewhere[/i], so they must also be able to make metal instruments. Gaolers probably wouldn't spend the time on music, but I could see them learning call-and-response songs to keep track of each other when patrolling or hunting down abominations, especially during blizzards when visibility is low. [emoji=water rune size=1] Shell flutes, maybe? Not a lot of instruments... work underwater. Abovewater, Flotsam Town probably has a hodgepodge of makeshift instruments. [emoji=nature rune size=1] It's tempting to say they make wood instruments, but cutting down and shaping wood like that might also be seen negatively, depending on the clan. Maybe they, like Wind, use magic to shape wood into living instruments, like drums or woodwinds. [emoji=light rune size=1] Huge choral/orchestral performances. Light performers have a lot of sheet music. Also enormous bells that ring out over the whole region. [emoji=arcane rune size=1] Synth-like music conjured from pure magic, or other very experimental weird instruments. Arcane music is probably a very culturally specific thing, and other flights who didn't grow up with it find it kind of weird and not very "musical"-sounding. [emoji=earth rune size=1] Big drums again, and slow, mournful ballads. When an Earth flight group puts on a performance, you [i]feel[/i] it. [emoji=plague rune size=1] There's not a lot of time in the Wasteland for proper music, but I could see someone putting together some kind of plucky strings out of leather or sinew. Singing would be discouraged in most cases (can't let your prey know you're coming!) but when it's late and you're not hunting, I could see haunting songs about death coming up. [emoji=lightning rune size=1] Lightning flight music is engineered to be catchy and increase motivation and productivity. ...Lightning k-pop.
Ooh wait I remember talking about this somewhere a while ago... (rummages back through my history) Here it is! Plus some extra thoughts from Present Me.

Wind is the most musically-oriented flight, but specifically I could see them making enormous woodwind-style instruments (out of bamboo, maybe?) that they play by using magic to direct wind through them. Like a church organ made out of flutes.

Fire is a flight full of miners and metallurgists, so I imagine they're fond of drums/percussion that mimic the sound of stomping and singing during work. They could shape brass instruments too, so you might find the occasional Fire flight performer, but probably not in a group.

Shadow plays violins, but only at the screechy horror sting range. That, and/or I could see them enjoying piano. And music boxes, maybe?

Tundras would probably like soft music and lullabies. There isn't much to make instruments out of in the Southern Icefield, but they're getting the metal to make chains from somewhere, so they must also be able to make metal instruments. Gaolers probably wouldn't spend the time on music, but I could see them learning call-and-response songs to keep track of each other when patrolling or hunting down abominations, especially during blizzards when visibility is low.

Shell flutes, maybe? Not a lot of instruments... work underwater. Abovewater, Flotsam Town probably has a hodgepodge of makeshift instruments.

It's tempting to say they make wood instruments, but cutting down and shaping wood like that might also be seen negatively, depending on the clan. Maybe they, like Wind, use magic to shape wood into living instruments, like drums or woodwinds.

Huge choral/orchestral performances. Light performers have a lot of sheet music. Also enormous bells that ring out over the whole region.

Synth-like music conjured from pure magic, or other very experimental weird instruments. Arcane music is probably a very culturally specific thing, and other flights who didn't grow up with it find it kind of weird and not very "musical"-sounding.

Big drums again, and slow, mournful ballads. When an Earth flight group puts on a performance, you feel it.

There's not a lot of time in the Wasteland for proper music, but I could see someone putting together some kind of plucky strings out of leather or sinew. Singing would be discouraged in most cases (can't let your prey know you're coming!) but when it's late and you're not hunting, I could see haunting songs about death coming up.

Lightning flight music is engineered to be catchy and increase motivation and productivity. ...Lightning k-pop.
Esme, a very red and Plague-themed Skydancer. A medallion depicting the Plaguebringer in profile.
I would imagine that Arcane has some sort of crystallophone (instruments that use glass to make their sound), except I imagine that instead of glass, Arcanites would use the crystals that grow in Arcane's territory instead :)

I would imagine that Arcane has some sort of crystallophone (instruments that use glass to make their sound), except I imagine that instead of glass, Arcanites would use the crystals that grow in Arcane's territory instead :)

z7ICUK0.png1xdmSDp.pngK6fmQCc.png
i truly and deeply believe that tesla coils are an extremely popular cultural instrument in the shifting expanse with my whole heart.
i truly and deeply believe that tesla coils are an extremely popular cultural instrument in the shifting expanse with my whole heart.
Waystone5.gif
29562082.png
-
-
-

WAWs3m5.png
9AXhFJA.png
hZipXGO.png
1 2 3 4 5 6