Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | What art program do you like?
1 2 3
I'm a big fan of Krita! It's 100% free, for starters. I do think the layout is a little difficult to get used to (though I also think that about basically every art program except SAI - Krita was just the worst offender), but once you do it has tons of brushes and features. I used Photoshop before getting it, and honestly the only thing I miss from Photoshop is clipping masks worked a little better (Krita has some weird restrictions with clipping - the masks are fine to use but it's difficult to take something off a clipping mask without ruining it). Anything else I found Krita does just as well, sometimes better.

I like SAI a lot too though and tons of people still use it, as said above. I think it has the most user friendly interface out of any art software (though maybe I just think that because it was my first one). My only issue with SAI 1 (and the reason I stopped using it) was the lack of options for transparent background, but it seems SAI 2 fixed that? And, well, it's not free.
I'm a big fan of Krita! It's 100% free, for starters. I do think the layout is a little difficult to get used to (though I also think that about basically every art program except SAI - Krita was just the worst offender), but once you do it has tons of brushes and features. I used Photoshop before getting it, and honestly the only thing I miss from Photoshop is clipping masks worked a little better (Krita has some weird restrictions with clipping - the masks are fine to use but it's difficult to take something off a clipping mask without ruining it). Anything else I found Krita does just as well, sometimes better.

I like SAI a lot too though and tons of people still use it, as said above. I think it has the most user friendly interface out of any art software (though maybe I just think that because it was my first one). My only issue with SAI 1 (and the reason I stopped using it) was the lack of options for transparent background, but it seems SAI 2 fixed that? And, well, it's not free.
@Dragonjade @Commander @Vardia @IgneousFlaming @nahab @scarletite @golbin
@AMothWithAnxiety

Thank you everybody so much for your input!! I feel very in the know about different art programs now lol my lil drawin tablet comes in today and im super excited to give a few diff programs a shot! Again thanks so much yall have been super helpful <3
@Dragonjade @Commander @Vardia @IgneousFlaming @nahab @scarletite @golbin
@AMothWithAnxiety

Thank you everybody so much for your input!! I feel very in the know about different art programs now lol my lil drawin tablet comes in today and im super excited to give a few diff programs a shot! Again thanks so much yall have been super helpful <3
pumpkaboos_birdie.png kZjIfse.gif pumpkaboos_birdie.png
@Commander I recommend checking out mspaintCompanion! It's a little fiddly but it essentially lets you use layers on mspaint, which might be helpful if you use paint a lot

heres a link to the itch io page
@Commander I recommend checking out mspaintCompanion! It's a little fiddly but it essentially lets you use layers on mspaint, which might be helpful if you use paint a lot

heres a link to the itch io page
Arachnid
(Ne/Nym/Nis)
10 Sweeps/22 Years
True Scorpio
Thief of Light
Prospit Dreamer
Hope it's not too late to throw in my thoughts! I used a mouse for my art for around 3 years, and only about 7 months ago did I switch to a Wacom intuos! Previously I used fire alpaca which I see has been suggested a few times in this thread already, but it's free and definitely a great starting point! Recently I bought Clip studio paint pro (while it was on sale) and I'd say it definitely has its perks with more variety in brushes, layers, animation, etc imo (as you'd expect with a paid app). I'm still getting used to the animation features but it seems more advanced than fire alpaca and allows you to do more. It's definitely confusing jumping into a professional art app with little to no experience so I'd definitely recommend fire alpaca (or an equally simple program) to start, and then switch to a more advanced!
Hope it's not too late to throw in my thoughts! I used a mouse for my art for around 3 years, and only about 7 months ago did I switch to a Wacom intuos! Previously I used fire alpaca which I see has been suggested a few times in this thread already, but it's free and definitely a great starting point! Recently I bought Clip studio paint pro (while it was on sale) and I'd say it definitely has its perks with more variety in brushes, layers, animation, etc imo (as you'd expect with a paid app). I'm still getting used to the animation features but it seems more advanced than fire alpaca and allows you to do more. It's definitely confusing jumping into a professional art app with little to no experience so I'd definitely recommend fire alpaca (or an equally simple program) to start, and then switch to a more advanced!
nnHgvR9.gif
xMagpie
xx» She/her
xx» NZST
xx» Art Shop
xx» Avatar

I swap between FireAlpaca and Krita! The files usually play nice together(some technical finaggling is needed tho :/).
If you want a program that plays nice with Photoshop,(i.e. the skin/accent templates) Do Not use FireAlpaca. Files don't work together, but Krita pretty happily takes .psd!

If you'd like to create a comic/manga, FA is geared mostly towards that, though if I remember right, Clip Studio also has presets for this(I've never used it myself, being poor aha).
I swap between FireAlpaca and Krita! The files usually play nice together(some technical finaggling is needed tho :/).
If you want a program that plays nice with Photoshop,(i.e. the skin/accent templates) Do Not use FireAlpaca. Files don't work together, but Krita pretty happily takes .psd!

If you'd like to create a comic/manga, FA is geared mostly towards that, though if I remember right, Clip Studio also has presets for this(I've never used it myself, being poor aha).
wcadopt-voiken1.png ZTsKQhL.png wcadopt-voiken2.png
Ping me if you want my attention.
I draw on my phone since it's all I have, but ibisPaint is a really great program.
You can pay for it if you want but base (which does come with a good amount of stuff) is completely free.
I believe ibisPaint can also be used on PC as well (not 100% on that though)
I draw on my phone since it's all I have, but ibisPaint is a really great program.
You can pay for it if you want but base (which does come with a good amount of stuff) is completely free.
I believe ibisPaint can also be used on PC as well (not 100% on that though)
Universe_Drifters.png
i personally use FireAlpaca! i haven't tried any others because i get very attached to specific programs very quickly.... but i've heard a lot of good things about Krita and Medibang!
i personally use FireAlpaca! i haven't tried any others because i get very attached to specific programs very quickly.... but i've heard a lot of good things about Krita and Medibang!
eESLWsA.gif finn + blurr | he/they/it | 15
neurodivergent (please use tonetags!)
i'll make this look nicer eventually.
it's a zero, NOT an O!
hatchery
art shop
skin shop
wishlist
ezgif-4-9f981b15fe.gif
@pir8core

Oh wow, neat! I never heard of that one. :o

I admit, I'm used to what I've done, ahaha. It's difficult, but it works, y'know? xD
I can get a little iffy when I gotta try learning new stuff when I'm used to a program.

But thanks for letting me know~ I forgot I even posted on this thread, lol!
@pir8core

Oh wow, neat! I never heard of that one. :o

I admit, I'm used to what I've done, ahaha. It's difficult, but it works, y'know? xD
I can get a little iffy when I gotta try learning new stuff when I'm used to a program.

But thanks for letting me know~ I forgot I even posted on this thread, lol!
I use an iPad, i absolutely love Procreate! Where i like, its 10 USD with no in app purchases. You can always download free brushes to!
I use an iPad, i absolutely love Procreate! Where i like, its 10 USD with no in app purchases. You can always download free brushes to!
natureb1.png > SnekInAPumpkin
> Photographer, artist, and writer
> U can call me Max or Snek :):):):)
> Genderfluid and pansexual

> Art shop here~

nature.png image_1.png natureshade.png
I'm another Procreate user, which I know is irrelevant to you since you're not using an iPad, but I wanted to say I think if you're used to sai and you enjoy using it, there's no need to change! A more expensive/complex/"trendy" art program does not better art make. It's how you use it that really matters :)
I'm another Procreate user, which I know is irrelevant to you since you're not using an iPad, but I wanted to say I think if you're used to sai and you enjoy using it, there's no need to change! A more expensive/complex/"trendy" art program does not better art make. It's how you use it that really matters :)
> My tumblr
> My AO3
X
An angry-looking night elf woman with short green hair and a burn scar on her left cheek, looking to the viewer's right.A night elf woman with purple facial tattoos and purple hair, looking at the viewer with a confident smirk.
she/her | 18+ | FR+2 | brain full of night elves
>> Avatar
>> I love pings!
>> PixelZ, not PixelS!
xxxdont%20feed%20the%20ai.gif
1 2 3