Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Pros and cons of being a G1 lair?
1 2 3
Pros: sense of accomplishment and satisfaction

Cons: no money
Pros: sense of accomplishment and satisfaction

Cons: no money
giphy.gifp74ovv7.gifmFaXmCJ.gifgiphy.gifgiphy.gif

art shop banner
KkcUijP.png
old wc adopt gif
giphy.gif

Lewis link and G1 sales
goVYTQR.pngRsZjiBd.png

ghost hatchlings
TwEcIUG.png[/url] Ae0MsB2.png

Wishlist

B3w2s5h.jpg

Pixel Pearls

giphy.gif

SCP hatchery
1g9awbL.png
Click for Don't Starve/FR commissions! [TEMP CLOSED] (Casual collector of 6 digit dergs!)
vWYFQtR.png

wHRV9DG.jpg[/indent]
Pros:
You have g1s.
Clean offspring/parent list.
Give yourself a challenge with gene/breed projects with them (except imps).

Cons:
Good luck with those projects. Especially if you're someone like me... with expensive taste.

Echoing what SCB said: you can easily find very cheap g1s but finding what colours work for you is the challenge in itself if you're not sure what you're looking for. See what works in the scrying workshop. Pick your fave breed to change them to if you don't like their current one (steer clear of imperials as others have pretty much pointed out).

Also, no matter what, in the long run, they're expensive to spruce up. Even the cheaper genes become expensive if you're buying multiples. So I'd start off small before becoming a full g1 lair. Pick a g1 dragon or two you like (after scrying them, I recommend).

I myself am not a 100% g1 lair but it has become blatantly obvious over time that they are taking over my lair. I find myself looking for them rather than g2+ dragons. It's a fun challenge and it's rewarding to see them spoiled and decked out in gorgeous genes and/or apparel. I sometimes flaunt them in Dragon Share when I do finish them haha.
Pros:
You have g1s.
Clean offspring/parent list.
Give yourself a challenge with gene/breed projects with them (except imps).

Cons:
Good luck with those projects. Especially if you're someone like me... with expensive taste.

Echoing what SCB said: you can easily find very cheap g1s but finding what colours work for you is the challenge in itself if you're not sure what you're looking for. See what works in the scrying workshop. Pick your fave breed to change them to if you don't like their current one (steer clear of imperials as others have pretty much pointed out).

Also, no matter what, in the long run, they're expensive to spruce up. Even the cheaper genes become expensive if you're buying multiples. So I'd start off small before becoming a full g1 lair. Pick a g1 dragon or two you like (after scrying them, I recommend).

I myself am not a 100% g1 lair but it has become blatantly obvious over time that they are taking over my lair. I find myself looking for them rather than g2+ dragons. It's a fun challenge and it's rewarding to see them spoiled and decked out in gorgeous genes and/or apparel. I sometimes flaunt them in Dragon Share when I do finish them haha.
Eco1dmi.png Egg Art Shop

Skin shop

Art Shop
My lair is more than half g1s, even though I am by no means exclusive because I like imps and gem genes too much for that, and like just about everyone else in this thread, I can say that the biggest con is definitely the cost. I am a cheapskate who almost never uses gem genes, and certainly not on moderns where they are way more expensive, and the average g1 will still run me about 1mt/1kg from start to finish. And I only buy out of the bargain bin. But you can get some really unique dragons from it, and you spend so much time and effort on each dragon that you're quite likely to get attached, which is nice if you're a lore clan like mine (the kind of lore clan where nothing is written down btw) and getting attached to a dragon gives you a reason to work them into your lore.
My lair is more than half g1s, even though I am by no means exclusive because I like imps and gem genes too much for that, and like just about everyone else in this thread, I can say that the biggest con is definitely the cost. I am a cheapskate who almost never uses gem genes, and certainly not on moderns where they are way more expensive, and the average g1 will still run me about 1mt/1kg from start to finish. And I only buy out of the bargain bin. But you can get some really unique dragons from it, and you spend so much time and effort on each dragon that you're quite likely to get attached, which is nice if you're a lore clan like mine (the kind of lore clan where nothing is written down btw) and getting attached to a dragon gives you a reason to work them into your lore.
83232606.png:Pet The Bean:83232606.png
If I could give one piece of advice to a new collector, it would be to try to cap the # of unfinished projects you can take on at one time. It’s so, so, so easy to get overwhelmed, especially if you buy a lot of dragons very quickly that all require expensive genes/apparel/skins.

Pros of G1 collecting:
- Keeps the game challenging, as there’s always something to work on
- Full control over the dragon’s lineage (or lack thereof)
- You can stop any time if you find that you don’t actually enjoy it!

Cons of G1 collecting:
- Very easy to get overwhelmed, especially at the beginning
- Almost guaranteed to be a money pit, albeit a fun money pit
- Can feel a little limiting at times, for a number of reasons (cost, availability of whatever niche you want to collect, etc.)
If I could give one piece of advice to a new collector, it would be to try to cap the # of unfinished projects you can take on at one time. It’s so, so, so easy to get overwhelmed, especially if you buy a lot of dragons very quickly that all require expensive genes/apparel/skins.

Pros of G1 collecting:
- Keeps the game challenging, as there’s always something to work on
- Full control over the dragon’s lineage (or lack thereof)
- You can stop any time if you find that you don’t actually enjoy it!

Cons of G1 collecting:
- Very easy to get overwhelmed, especially at the beginning
- Almost guaranteed to be a money pit, albeit a fun money pit
- Can feel a little limiting at times, for a number of reasons (cost, availability of whatever niche you want to collect, etc.)
l29.pngs21.pngo664-d02-Cirrostratus.pngo664-d03-Cirrostratus.pngo664-d04-Cirrostratus.pngo664-d01-R-Cirrostratus.png - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - iA6Dl9p.png
I still have non-g1s, but I now only primarily buy g1s.

It is extremely easy to get way too many projects. I have so many uncompleted ones sitting in my hidben, slowly being worked on. I suggest limiting yourself.

I don't know if this happens with everyone, but I got caught up in the "oh that's almost a double so I gotta get them even though the colors suck". I saw something "rare" and I got it only for that reason. Try to get dragons that you like the colors of, it'll be better in the long run. (I ended up having like 40 g1s sitting that I no longer wanted, but were all close color ranges and near doubles. I had to work at selling them, and even now I have a bunch left).

But in the end, it feels really rewarding to complete a project!
I still have non-g1s, but I now only primarily buy g1s.

It is extremely easy to get way too many projects. I have so many uncompleted ones sitting in my hidben, slowly being worked on. I suggest limiting yourself.

I don't know if this happens with everyone, but I got caught up in the "oh that's almost a double so I gotta get them even though the colors suck". I saw something "rare" and I got it only for that reason. Try to get dragons that you like the colors of, it'll be better in the long run. (I ended up having like 40 g1s sitting that I no longer wanted, but were all close color ranges and near doubles. I had to work at selling them, and even now I have a bunch left).

But in the end, it feels really rewarding to complete a project!
They/Them ~ Wishlist ~ Scatter Project er7d6Yk.png
Pros- Gen 1s
Cons- Gen 1s
Pros- Gen 1s
Cons- Gen 1s
8fNZOKd.gif
I'll never have a fully G1 lair, since I prioritize colors and "look" over G1 status, but a dragon with no parents and no offspring feels so pure somehow, and so if you get a G1 with JUST the right colors, it feels... perfect. Pre-gened, it will have so much potential and it's exciting just scrying out possibilities, whereas after you've added genes/clothes/skins/scene/familiar, it will just feel SO satisfying.

My advice is to start with a single G1 tab in your lair that you build up slowly. If you find yourself liking it you can slowly move your non-G1s that you really want to keep to the hibernal den, and then start creating themed tabs. A lot of G1 lairs also tend to have at least one tab of permababies and I recommend that, since baby dragons are often ESPECIALLY cute and also many of the breeds really show off eye color best in the baby form.

Also... and this is my personal practice, but keeping your "project" dragons separate from your completed ones feels nice too. Personally I keep my project dragons in the hibernal den so that I don't need to feed them while I'm working on them, but any separate project tab is a good plan.

Cost is the big limiter, of course. If you're willing to purchase gems with real money this will make things go a lot faster but I'm not sure that's more fun, and obviously it's not a good idea to spend real money on this game unless you have a good amount of money to burn. A good source of quick treasure, even if you don't like to use the coliseum much, is simply exalting dragons you've bred... so keeping some breeding pairs that are strictly for fodder, with really short cooldowns, is a good and painless way of making dragon money.

Good luck!
I'll never have a fully G1 lair, since I prioritize colors and "look" over G1 status, but a dragon with no parents and no offspring feels so pure somehow, and so if you get a G1 with JUST the right colors, it feels... perfect. Pre-gened, it will have so much potential and it's exciting just scrying out possibilities, whereas after you've added genes/clothes/skins/scene/familiar, it will just feel SO satisfying.

My advice is to start with a single G1 tab in your lair that you build up slowly. If you find yourself liking it you can slowly move your non-G1s that you really want to keep to the hibernal den, and then start creating themed tabs. A lot of G1 lairs also tend to have at least one tab of permababies and I recommend that, since baby dragons are often ESPECIALLY cute and also many of the breeds really show off eye color best in the baby form.

Also... and this is my personal practice, but keeping your "project" dragons separate from your completed ones feels nice too. Personally I keep my project dragons in the hibernal den so that I don't need to feed them while I'm working on them, but any separate project tab is a good plan.

Cost is the big limiter, of course. If you're willing to purchase gems with real money this will make things go a lot faster but I'm not sure that's more fun, and obviously it's not a good idea to spend real money on this game unless you have a good amount of money to burn. A good source of quick treasure, even if you don't like to use the coliseum much, is simply exalting dragons you've bred... so keeping some breeding pairs that are strictly for fodder, with really short cooldowns, is a good and painless way of making dragon money.

Good luck!
Being a gen1 lair for many many years and it never stops!
The challenge is fun and besides your goals there are so many color combinations to look for in the AH. I went from liking doubles to xyz dragons so fast. I have many unfinished projects though but the longer they are around, the more new genes, the more likely you will pick up a dragon for a new project.

The only 'con', that i not really see as a con, is money. You need to have a steady income, gen1's ain't cheap but that is what makes the challenge. FR would be boring without a challenge for yourself. Always needing to collect treasure and gems keeps me into the game.

So yes gen1's are time consuming, but in the end you got a nice lair for it. That still keeps growing.
Being a gen1 lair for many many years and it never stops!
The challenge is fun and besides your goals there are so many color combinations to look for in the AH. I went from liking doubles to xyz dragons so fast. I have many unfinished projects though but the longer they are around, the more new genes, the more likely you will pick up a dragon for a new project.

The only 'con', that i not really see as a con, is money. You need to have a steady income, gen1's ain't cheap but that is what makes the challenge. FR would be boring without a challenge for yourself. Always needing to collect treasure and gems keeps me into the game.

So yes gen1's are time consuming, but in the end you got a nice lair for it. That still keeps growing.
6WUYXR5.png Etna (FR+9)
She/They
Likes to make sprites
Gen 1 lair
pros

-find beauty in unconventional dragons because you hatched a weird xyz

cons

-money
pros

-find beauty in unconventional dragons because you hatched a weird xyz

cons

-money
Oo1lWlZ.png

Always looking for a sanddollar/coral/gold range tert G1.. hit me up if you have one! I collect them
Pros:
  • very satisfying to see the double none in their lineage
  • once you have fully completed a G1, it feels nice because you know you've done all of that from scratch
  • it's really cool to think that all G1s that you like are just dragons with random colours and it's great when you manage to find one that you like
  • if you get bored, you can sell them and they'll usually go for more than fodder
  • seeing First Generation in every single dragon's tooltip is great and can be empowering
  • it is actually much easier to find unique G1s you might like than non-G1s because of how widely-ranging their combos can get, and people usually go for popular colour combos when breeding so the market is flooded with similar fodder
  • not necessarily G1 lair-related but egg hatching is SOOOO satisfying; it's like gambling...but balanced and FREE (if you obtain your egg and not buy it) so it's good

Cons:
  • expensive projects
  • not being able to get a G1 Imperial can be super annoying and it's like an itch that can't be scratched
  • can't breed for expensive genes
  • some dragons straight up don't exist so you need to wait
  • if you want a double or a triple, an F to you
Pros:
  • very satisfying to see the double none in their lineage
  • once you have fully completed a G1, it feels nice because you know you've done all of that from scratch
  • it's really cool to think that all G1s that you like are just dragons with random colours and it's great when you manage to find one that you like
  • if you get bored, you can sell them and they'll usually go for more than fodder
  • seeing First Generation in every single dragon's tooltip is great and can be empowering
  • it is actually much easier to find unique G1s you might like than non-G1s because of how widely-ranging their combos can get, and people usually go for popular colour combos when breeding so the market is flooded with similar fodder
  • not necessarily G1 lair-related but egg hatching is SOOOO satisfying; it's like gambling...but balanced and FREE (if you obtain your egg and not buy it) so it's good

Cons:
  • expensive projects
  • not being able to get a G1 Imperial can be super annoying and it's like an itch that can't be scratched
  • can't breed for expensive genes
  • some dragons straight up don't exist so you need to wait
  • if you want a double or a triple, an F to you
Link to art shopLink to skin shopImage depicting a large blue crab carrying produce on their back, its purpose being a background element for the signatureLink to a personal log thread containing various different links, information and sources
1 2 3