Back

Announcements & News

The latest announcements and Flight Rising news.
TOPIC | Dev Update: Achievements & Anniversary
1 2 ... 15 16 17 18 19 ... 41 42
first thing that came to mind when reading about the daily, weekly, and monthly pursuits was "omg, flight rising battle pass?!"

but seriously, this is certainly an interesting idea, incorporating achievements that will both feel good to accomplish for posterity as well as having a functional currency that can be used for buying more exclusive items. i can imagine that pursuits requiring exalting dragons and perhaps spending a certain amount of food/currency would be very good for the flight rising economy!

just so long as there is no direct route to purchasing the new currency, as well as there are no pay-to-win mechanics (which i don't even think exists in FR, so this isn't possible??), i think i'd really appreciate this new feature! i'm always looking for more things to do on the site that isn't coli grinding.
first thing that came to mind when reading about the daily, weekly, and monthly pursuits was "omg, flight rising battle pass?!"

but seriously, this is certainly an interesting idea, incorporating achievements that will both feel good to accomplish for posterity as well as having a functional currency that can be used for buying more exclusive items. i can imagine that pursuits requiring exalting dragons and perhaps spending a certain amount of food/currency would be very good for the flight rising economy!

just so long as there is no direct route to purchasing the new currency, as well as there are no pay-to-win mechanics (which i don't even think exists in FR, so this isn't possible??), i think i'd really appreciate this new feature! i'm always looking for more things to do on the site that isn't coli grinding.
A drawing of a blue and yellow Spiral dragon (art by me). Click to go to the dragon! | @Quebeal
| ♦ ¤ ——−−--
|
|
| FR +1 DST
| Any pronouns
| My current avatar dragon!
| Hey there! I wish you a great day.
———-Recolored treeshroud icon by yascherritsa. Click for resource thread!
This is so exciting! I wish other sites were as transparent about updates and roadmaps *coughcough* it’s very refreshing being here
This is so exciting! I wish other sites were as transparent about updates and roadmaps *coughcough* it’s very refreshing being here
[quote name="Alacrity" date="2022-12-12 11:55:09" ] Old user here and I think "prestige achievements" that show the old progress without contributing points is fine. Especially since working toward achievements is gameplay - I want more gameplay, not less! ^^ [/quote] Also an old user and yes, I really like this idea.
Alacrity wrote on 2022-12-12 11:55:09:
Old user here and I think "prestige achievements" that show the old progress without contributing points is fine. Especially since working toward achievements is gameplay - I want more gameplay, not less! ^^

Also an old user and yes, I really like this idea.
tumblr_on2jk2roo91r0vp0no1_250.png
[emoji=gaoler star size=2]
Sharpened Serthis Spear
I am the patron saint of having bad taste
(insert joke about heated water towers here)
[quote name="Xhaztol" date="2022-12-12 11:57:57" ] [quote name="ZoranaDragon" date="2022-12-12 11:03:58" ] ~snip to focus on the question~ Quick question, will the older players be able to see the old achievements they got before they [were] originally removed? Even if they don't reward anything I'd like to see what ones I used to have. [/quote] Unfortunately, given how patchy and old the progression data is for legacy achievements, there isn't really a way for us to surface that information to players given how vastly different the underlying achievement architecture is. At some point in the future it's possible that we may be able to pull it out as historical information, but it's not being scoped into this project. [/quote] That's fair, old spaghetti code can be a pain in the neck to deal with. It's best to deal with important pasta rather than some other pasta that's only a list of legacy stuff that doesn't actually do anything for old players. /gen /nm I do know there's a way to see them rn. However, having them listed on their own page rather then going through several pages of nest hatches and accepted friend requests would be nice to have some point down the line, even if it's not soon. ----- Edit because I wanted to respond to this. [quote name="IamNoHere" date="2022-12-12 12:01:47" ] [quote name="Mayali" date="2022-12-12 11:37:15" ] i would just like to say though that i am not very fond of daily-resetting achievements. imo they are like a constant demand for attention that becomes exhausting even if they only take a few minutes to complete. this eventually causes me to burn out on games i otherwise really like because i feel like i can't even have one day offline without missing something. i know i'm just one person but i hope that you will consider this perspective too. [/quote] ~Sniped to shorten post, went into detail about personal experiences with burn out. The post is not to far up from here if you want to read it..~~ The key, I´d say, is to make players feel secure that they can take a few days off of the tasks without losing out on [i]too[/i] much in terms of rewards. Of course, completing the tasks will still be preferable, but it´ll help prevent it from feeling like a chore. Does it make sense, what I mean? Perhaps someone else will be able to put it into words better ^^; [/quote] I feel you guys here. I do agree it shouldn't require people to come on every day or else you'll miss out on a big reward. Not only this but there are people who may miss a day because of irl issues. I do hope we [b]don't[/b] have a daily login streak achievement/pursuit because then that'd punish players for missing a day, rather than thanking them for coming online when they have the time to. We've [b]kinda[/b] got a daily streak thing with the well fed bonus but it's not a large thing you'd be missing out on, you can easily get it back up after a few days, and you're allowed to miss a few days.
Xhaztol wrote on 2022-12-12 11:57:57:
ZoranaDragon wrote on 2022-12-12 11:03:58:
~snip to focus on the question~

Quick question, will the older players be able to see the old achievements they got before they [were] originally removed? Even if they don't reward anything I'd like to see what ones I used to have.

Unfortunately, given how patchy and old the progression data is for legacy achievements, there isn't really a way for us to surface that information to players given how vastly different the underlying achievement architecture is. At some point in the future it's possible that we may be able to pull it out as historical information, but it's not being scoped into this project.

That's fair, old spaghetti code can be a pain in the neck to deal with. It's best to deal with important pasta rather than some other pasta that's only a list of legacy stuff that doesn't actually do anything for old players. /gen /nm

I do know there's a way to see them rn. However, having them listed on their own page rather then going through several pages of nest hatches and accepted friend requests would be nice to have some point down the line, even if it's not soon.

Edit because I wanted to respond to this.
IamNoHere wrote on 2022-12-12 12:01:47:
Mayali wrote on 2022-12-12 11:37:15:
i would just like to say though that i am not very fond of daily-resetting achievements. imo they are like a constant demand for attention that becomes exhausting even if they only take a few minutes to complete. this eventually causes me to burn out on games i otherwise really like because i feel like i can't even have one day offline without missing something. i know i'm just one person but i hope that you will consider this perspective too.
~Sniped to shorten post, went into detail about personal experiences with burn out. The post is not to far up from here if you want to read it..~~

The key, I´d say, is to make players feel secure that they can take a few days off of the tasks without losing out on too much in terms of rewards. Of course, completing the tasks will still be preferable, but it´ll help prevent it from feeling like a chore.

Does it make sense, what I mean? Perhaps someone else will be able to put it into words better ^^;

I feel you guys here. I do agree it shouldn't require people to come on every day or else you'll miss out on a big reward. Not only this but there are people who may miss a day because of irl issues. I do hope we don't have a daily login streak achievement/pursuit because then that'd punish players for missing a day, rather than thanking them for coming online when they have the time to.

We've kinda got a daily streak thing with the well fed bonus but it's not a large thing you'd be missing out on, you can easily get it back up after a few days, and you're allowed to miss a few days.
PiAyg8i.png

A small flight banner, halve being fire and halve being wind.

Silver_Square.png
^ Fandragon ^
I am screaming - let's go! Thank you for sharing this with us, devs. Been here since 2015, not the oldest, but I have some time here under my belt. I just wanted to mention that I wouldn't mind starting over with the achievements. A fresh start is fine by me!
I am screaming - let's go! Thank you for sharing this with us, devs. Been here since 2015, not the oldest, but I have some time here under my belt. I just wanted to mention that I wouldn't mind starting over with the achievements. A fresh start is fine by me!
[quote name="@Xhaztol" date="2022-12-12 11:57:57" ] [quote name="ZoranaDragon" date="2022-12-12 11:03:58" ] Heck yeah!! And new things for completing them too? That's awesome! I can't wait to see the new achievements! Quick question, will the older players be able to see the old achievements they got before they where originally removed? Even if they don't reward anything I'd like to see what ones I used to have. [/quote] Unfortunately, given how patchy and old the progression data is for legacy achievements, there isn't really a way for us to surface that information to players given how vastly different the underlying achievement architecture is. At some point in the future it's possible that we may be able to pull it out as historical information, but it's not being scoped into this project. [/quote] Forgive me, but would it not be possible to data-scrape the Recent Activity pages of players? All achievements gotten were logged there. I can see all my achievements right now just by scrolling through that list.
@Xhaztol wrote on 2022-12-12 11:57:57:
ZoranaDragon wrote on 2022-12-12 11:03:58:
Heck yeah!! And new things for completing them too? That's awesome!

I can't wait to see the new achievements!

Quick question, will the older players be able to see the old achievements they got before they where originally removed? Even if they don't reward anything I'd like to see what ones I used to have.

Unfortunately, given how patchy and old the progression data is for legacy achievements, there isn't really a way for us to surface that information to players given how vastly different the underlying achievement architecture is. At some point in the future it's possible that we may be able to pull it out as historical information, but it's not being scoped into this project.

Forgive me, but would it not be possible to data-scrape the Recent Activity pages of players? All achievements gotten were logged there. I can see all my achievements right now just by scrolling through that list.
VfJfrBs.jpeg
Worried that getting the special currency will feel super grind-y and painful after all the 'big' achievements are done, but otherwise I'm super hyped for this! Hopefully the prices and currency availability is balanced alright for casual play styles. ^^
Worried that getting the special currency will feel super grind-y and painful after all the 'big' achievements are done, but otherwise I'm super hyped for this! Hopefully the prices and currency availability is balanced alright for casual play styles. ^^
60F6OKB.png
///
» FAQ
» Skins
» Icon Dragon
[quote name="IamNoHere" date="2022-12-12 12:01:47" ] [quote name="Mayali" date="2022-12-12 11:37:15" ] i would just like to say though that i am not very fond of daily-resetting achievements. imo they are like a constant demand for attention that becomes exhausting even if they only take a few minutes to complete. this eventually causes me to burn out on games i otherwise really like because i feel like i can't even have one day offline without missing something. i know i'm just one person but i hope that you will consider this perspective too. [/quote] Seconding this concern. I tend to burn out on games easily, and am only hoping it won't ever happen with FR, ´cause it´s happened many times before with other games, even ones I played for several years. FR, however, has things the previous games didn´t, so hopefully that will continue to set it apart even if in some aspects it might get closer to the previous games´ mechanics. That said, the current dailies aren´t causing me a burnout (so far), and opting to skip them doesn´t feel punishing - I mean, it´s easy to skip things like Tomo, familiars-bonding and even Fairgrounds without feeling like we´re missing out on [i]too[/i] much (though maxing Fairgrounds out regularly [i]would[/i] add up by a lot), so hopefully the new ones might not do so either. The key, I´d say, is to make players feel secure that they can take a few days off of the tasks without losing out on [i]too[/i] much in terms of rewards. Of course, completing the tasks will still be preferable, but it´ll help prevent it from feeling like a chore. Does it make sense, what I mean? Perhaps someone else will be able to put it into words better ^^; [/quote] from what I understand, the daily/weekly/monthly things are a means to get *extra* currency if you want it, not something you have to do to get items that will be gone forever. To me it sounds similar to how familiar bonding works - you get little bonuses and can unlock extras by doing it, but it doesn't really affect much if you decide you don't want to. I didnt bond with familars for years and the only thing I lacked was a small bit of treasure and fiona exclusive ones. However, all of that was still there and waiting once I decided to get around to filling out my beastiary. I could be wrong, but this really just sounds like an opportunity to get more of what you want, and not something to necessarily lose out on.
IamNoHere wrote on 2022-12-12 12:01:47:
Mayali wrote on 2022-12-12 11:37:15:
i would just like to say though that i am not very fond of daily-resetting achievements. imo they are like a constant demand for attention that becomes exhausting even if they only take a few minutes to complete. this eventually causes me to burn out on games i otherwise really like because i feel like i can't even have one day offline without missing something. i know i'm just one person but i hope that you will consider this perspective too.

Seconding this concern. I tend to burn out on games easily, and am only hoping it won't ever happen with FR, ´cause it´s happened many times before with other games, even ones I played for several years. FR, however, has things the previous games didn´t, so hopefully that will continue to set it apart even if in some aspects it might get closer to the previous games´ mechanics.

That said, the current dailies aren´t causing me a burnout (so far), and opting to skip them doesn´t feel punishing - I mean, it´s easy to skip things like Tomo, familiars-bonding and even Fairgrounds without feeling like we´re missing out on too much (though maxing Fairgrounds out regularly would add up by a lot), so hopefully the new ones might not do so either.

The key, I´d say, is to make players feel secure that they can take a few days off of the tasks without losing out on too much in terms of rewards. Of course, completing the tasks will still be preferable, but it´ll help prevent it from feeling like a chore.

Does it make sense, what I mean? Perhaps someone else will be able to put it into words better ^^;

from what I understand, the daily/weekly/monthly things are a means to get *extra* currency if you want it, not something you have to do to get items that will be gone forever. To me it sounds similar to how familiar bonding works - you get little bonuses and can unlock extras by doing it, but it doesn't really affect much if you decide you don't want to.

I didnt bond with familars for years and the only thing I lacked was a small bit of treasure and fiona exclusive ones. However, all of that was still there and waiting once I decided to get around to filling out my beastiary.

I could be wrong, but this really just sounds like an opportunity to get more of what you want, and not something to necessarily lose out on.
q5wK1gN.pngstonesig_by_bajanmightyena-daflnui%20sig%20size_zpsrouqlt49.pngtRc9wm7.png1o57V8Q.jpgvNSClVq.jpg
oh i love the idea of pursuits! one of my favorite things to do on this website is work towards player-set, long-term goals so the idea of making some that are official sounds really exciting [emoji=new friend size=1] also glad to hear the boolean achievement won't be back - i was always so frustrated that i couldn't get it or the founder achievement back in the day lol.
oh i love the idea of pursuits! one of my favorite things to do on this website is work towards player-set, long-term goals so the idea of making some that are official sounds really exciting

also glad to hear the boolean achievement won't be back - i was always so frustrated that i couldn't get it or the founder achievement back in the day lol.
~~~~~~~
my naym is eef
and wen its day
and wen the ywen
is gonne awaye
and all the cats
hav gonn desyrt
i lye on ground
i eet the dirt
~ a vertical line that looks like the side of a speech bubblea pixel of a stone/beige/brown tundra wearing dark cloth and various jewelry
1 2 ... 15 16 17 18 19 ... 41 42