Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | [Sug.] Fayd's Exaltation Overhaul
1 2 ... 121 122 123 124 125 126 127
Just commenting to bump again! This suggestion is like, 7 years old, but it's super cool
Just commenting to bump again! This suggestion is like, 7 years old, but it's super cool
I have a few issues with this suggestion I'd like to address:

1. Server strain
The purpose of exaltation is to remove dragons from active play. This a) prevents overpopulation to the point where every lair on the site is completely full (thus stopping a full market crash.) However this would continue to work as normal with this suggestion. Rather it's point b) that it means that the server does not have to store as much data for the dragon, which becomes an issue. By assigning jobs to the dragons, and even giving them randomly generated text logs, you're only adding more information for the server to store, which isn't as good for its long-term health. Exalted dragons need to remain as minimal as possible to reduce the server space they take up, particularly when you consider just how many exalted dragons there already are.

2. Lore impact
While I understand that you worry about how many others interpret exaltation, that's unlikely to change. It's already explicitly clear in lore that the dragons are not dead. However, it's actually a good thing that players are given the freedom to personally interpret it as such. FR gives players a great amount of creative freedom on the site, and I'm sure there would be some players who would be annoyed by having their own lore interpretation challenged so openly.

If I misread and exalt payouts are intended to stay, please disregard the following:

3. The market
You expressed concern over the state of the dragon market, but I think that this suggestion would actually make it worse.

a) It would reduce sales on the AH if it's more 'profitable' to exalt your own hatchlings. Hence less treasure removed from circulation by the tax system.

b) The reason people exalt so much is for the profit. Hardcore exalters can generate the cost of their battlestones very quickly if they put in enough time. With the current system, the more you exalt, the more you make. Hence the more you spend, the greater the profit. (So long as you have good margins.) If you remove that immediate profit, and don't provide a reward that is scaled accordingly to effort, it no longer becomes a stable source of income. I understand what you are suggesting with your system, but if the daily reward is random, it could result in someone exalting a hundred dragons and only getting back the funds for half of them. It just suddenly isn't as worth it to buy a bunch of hatchlings from other players when you could more safely breed your own. This is unfair to the players who rely on the passive income of fodder breeding due to not having the time to level fodder themselves.

c) It could harm the baseline dragon value. As the current system has a set reward per level (while there is a bracket for each, you can always guarantee you will get a minimum amount from the exalt), it means every dragon has a guaranteed value of the minimum amount that it could exalt for. If this direct connection were to be removed, it would leave dragons without a guaranteed minimum value. Combined with the lack of incentive to buy from other players for a higher price (after all, if your payout is random, you'll be wanting to buy for dirt cheap at the best), it would devalue them and could even make unwanted dragons close to worthless. (catastrophising, I know, but you have to always consider both the worst case scenario)

Overall I think it's a cute suggestion, but it would need a great deal of adjustment before it could be introduced into an already active economy, in my opinion. I would like to see dominance itself become more rewarding, but day-to-day exalting functions fine in generating profit. Increasing the profit from exalting could even worsen inflation.

1. Server strain
The purpose of exaltation is to remove dragons from active play. This a) prevents overpopulation to the point where every lair on the site is completely full (thus stopping a full market crash.) However this would continue to work as normal with this suggestion. Rather it's point b) that it means that the server does not have to store as much data for the dragon, which becomes an issue. By assigning jobs to the dragons, and even giving them randomly generated text logs, you're only adding more information for the server to store, which isn't as good for its long-term health. Exalted dragons need to remain as minimal as possible to reduce the server space they take up, particularly when you consider just how many exalted dragons there already are.

2. Lore impact
While I understand that you worry about how many others interpret exaltation, that's unlikely to change. It's already explicitly clear in lore that the dragons are not dead. However, it's actually a good thing that players are given the freedom to personally interpret it as such. FR gives players a great amount of creative freedom on the site, and I'm sure there would be some players who would be annoyed by having their own lore interpretation challenged so openly.

If I misread and exalt payouts are intended to stay, please disregard the following:

3. The market
You expressed concern over the state of the dragon market, but I think that this suggestion would actually make it worse.

a) It would reduce sales on the AH if it's more 'profitable' to exalt your own hatchlings. Hence less treasure removed from circulation by the tax system.

b) The reason people exalt so much is for the profit. Hardcore exalters can generate the cost of their battlestones very quickly if they put in enough time. With the current system, the more you exalt, the more you make. Hence the more you spend, the greater the profit. (So long as you have good margins.) If you remove that immediate profit, and don't provide a reward that is scaled accordingly to effort, it no longer becomes a stable source of income. I understand what you are suggesting with your system, but if the daily reward is random, it could result in someone exalting a hundred dragons and only getting back the funds for half of them. It just suddenly isn't as worth it to buy a bunch of hatchlings from other players when you could more safely breed your own. This is unfair to the players who rely on the passive income of fodder breeding due to not having the time to level fodder themselves.

c) It could harm the baseline dragon value. As the current system has a set reward per level (while there is a bracket for each, you can always guarantee you will get a minimum amount from the exalt), it means every dragon has a guaranteed value of the minimum amount that it could exalt for. If this direct connection were to be removed, it would leave dragons without a guaranteed minimum value. Combined with the lack of incentive to buy from other players for a higher price (after all, if your payout is random, you'll be wanting to buy for dirt cheap at the best), it would devalue them and could even make unwanted dragons close to worthless. (catastrophising, I know, but you have to always consider both the worst case scenario)

Overall I think it's a cute suggestion, but it would need a great deal of adjustment before it could be introduced into an already active economy, in my opinion. I would like to see dominance itself become more rewarding, but day-to-day exalting functions fine in generating profit. Increasing the profit from exalting could even worsen inflation.
Lore
Hatchery
Dream Dragons
bepadepadept line long line short boop bepepepep
VPsWmjb.gif
[quote name="Allstohel" date="2020-09-16 09:09:25" ] I have a few issues with this suggestion I'd like to address: 1. Server strain The purpose of exaltation is to remove dragons from active play. This a) prevents overpopulation to the point where every lair on the site is completely full (thus stopping a full market crash.) However this would continue to work as normal with this suggestion. Rather it's point b) that it means that the server does not have to store as much data for the dragon, which becomes an issue. By assigning jobs to the dragons, and even giving them randomly generated text logs, you're only adding more information for the server to store, which isn't as good for its long-term health. Exalted dragons need to remain as minimal as possible to reduce the server space they take up, particularly when you consider just how many exalted dragons there already are. 2. Lore impact While I understand that you worry about how many others interpret exaltation, that's unlikely to change. It's already explicitly clear in lore that the dragons are not dead. However, it's actually a good thing that players are given the freedom to personally interpret it as such. FR gives players a great amount of creative freedom on the site, and I'm sure there would be some players who would be annoyed by having their own lore interpretation challenged so openly. If I misread and exalt payouts are intended to stay, please disregard the following: 3. The market You expressed concern over the state of the dragon market, but I think that this suggestion would actually make it worse. a) It would reduce sales on the AH if it's more 'profitable' to exalt your own hatchlings. Hence less treasure removed from circulation by the tax system. b) The reason people exalt so much is for the profit. Hardcore exalters can generate the cost of their battlestones very quickly if they put in enough time. With the current system, the more you exalt, the more you make. Hence the more you spend, the greater the profit. (So long as you have good margins.) If you remove that immediate profit, and don't provide a reward that is scaled accordingly to effort, it no longer becomes a stable source of income. I understand what you are suggesting with your system, but if the daily reward is random, it could result in someone exalting a hundred dragons and only getting back the funds for half of them. It just suddenly isn't as worth it to buy a bunch of hatchlings from other players when you could more safely breed your own. This is unfair to the players who rely on the passive income of fodder breeding due to not having the time to level fodder themselves. c) It could harm the baseline dragon value. As the current system has a set reward per level (while there is a bracket for each, you can always guarantee you will get a minimum amount from the exalt), it means every dragon has a guaranteed value of the minimum amount that it could exalt for. If this direct connection were to be removed, it would leave dragons without a guaranteed minimum value. Combined with the lack of incentive to buy from other players for a higher price (after all, if your payout is random, you'll be wanting to buy for dirt cheap at the best), it would devalue them and could even make unwanted dragons close to worthless. (catastrophising, I know, but you have to always consider both the worst case scenario) Overall I think it's a cute suggestion, but it would need a great deal of adjustment before it could be introduced into an already active economy, in my opinion. I would like to see dominance itself become more rewarding, but day-to-day exalting functions fine in generating profit. Increasing the profit from exalting could even worsen inflation. [/quote] cosigned. i like the premise of having flight-wide projects that involve things other than exalting. i like the idea of boons, even. but this: [quote]In the Temple is a smaller sub-area, called something akin to the Rectory or the Hall of Heroes, or something, where a user can go view their Exalted Dragons. This serves a new purpose: Making something of a museum. If this area is viewable by others and organizable, it can form something of a showcase for artistic dragon-breeders, dramatically removing the stigma associated with Exalting dragons. In addition, these pages of Exalted Dragons could have a number of features! When a dragon is exalted, you could chose a "career" for it, or the game could (pseudo)randomly assign it. (I have the pseudo part because I REALLY find it hard to believe that a Fae would have the same career options as a Ridgeback, and vice versa). Based on this Career, the dragon's page could update every now and again with a procedurally generated form talking about what they have been doing and what they are up to.[/quote] is nah. this suggestion was made back in 2013. yes, that was pre server optimization, but at the time we knew server optimization was coming. we are now in a post-server optimization world (even if they haven't finished recoding everything yet) and there are things that haven't been re-added to the site because they slowed it to a crawl or literally broke the entire site. forum views? gone. not coming back. hidden offspring lists? literally broke the site when they tried it. nixed. i mean, storage on the server is in such a state right now that THAT is what's limiting the size of people's lairs, because feeding ticks have the potential to basically choke the servers to death. someone did the math on another thread awhile back and figured it's something on the order of 70k+ dragons a day that get exalted. right now active dragons are also mitigated by being in dead lairs, where they stop being so much of a server issue because they sit there at 0 energy. this right here would kill the servers dead, because not only are those 70k+ dragons a day being stored in a place people would be accessing on the daily, but the site would have to generate stuff for them to DO. some stuff from this suggestion has already been scraped and implemented (exalt bonuses) and not all of it that wasn't is a bad idea. like i'd totally love to be able to truck my clan on up to Glittermom and ask for a favor in exchange for some pretty rocks. i dig that. it would also be a good way to give some otherwise-useless items a function, since i assume the item pool would be a lot of 'materials' and 'other.' but no Temple. exalted dragons going where they go in the way that they go was implemented for the health of the site and it needs to stay that way.
Allstohel wrote on 2020-09-16 09:09:25:

1. Server strain

2. Lore impact

3. The market

cosigned.

i like the premise of having flight-wide projects that involve things other than exalting. i like the idea of boons, even. but this:
Quote:
In the Temple is a smaller sub-area, called something akin to the Rectory or the Hall of Heroes, or something, where a user can go view their Exalted Dragons. This serves a new purpose: Making something of a museum. If this area is viewable by others and organizable, it can form something of a showcase for artistic dragon-breeders, dramatically removing the stigma associated with Exalting dragons. In addition, these pages of Exalted Dragons could have a number of features! When a dragon is exalted, you could chose a "career" for it, or the game could (pseudo)randomly assign it. (I have the pseudo part because I REALLY find it hard to believe that a Fae would have the same career options as a Ridgeback, and vice versa). Based on this Career, the dragon's page could update every now and again with a procedurally generated form talking about what they have been doing and what they are up to.

is nah.

this suggestion was made back in 2013. yes, that was pre server optimization, but at the time we knew server optimization was coming. we are now in a post-server optimization world (even if they haven't finished recoding everything yet) and there are things that haven't been re-added to the site because they slowed it to a crawl or literally broke the entire site.

forum views? gone. not coming back.

hidden offspring lists? literally broke the site when they tried it. nixed.

i mean, storage on the server is in such a state right now that THAT is what's limiting the size of people's lairs, because feeding ticks have the potential to basically choke the servers to death.

someone did the math on another thread awhile back and figured it's something on the order of 70k+ dragons a day that get exalted. right now active dragons are also mitigated by being in dead lairs, where they stop being so much of a server issue because they sit there at 0 energy. this right here would kill the servers dead, because not only are those 70k+ dragons a day being stored in a place people would be accessing on the daily, but the site would have to generate stuff for them to DO.

some stuff from this suggestion has already been scraped and implemented (exalt bonuses) and not all of it that wasn't is a bad idea. like i'd totally love to be able to truck my clan on up to Glittermom and ask for a favor in exchange for some pretty rocks. i dig that. it would also be a good way to give some otherwise-useless items a function, since i assume the item pool would be a lot of 'materials' and 'other.'

but no Temple. exalted dragons going where they go in the way that they go was implemented for the health of the site and it needs to stay that way.
support! imagine if the dragons you exalted had specially tailored robes that they all wear in honour of their deity! like, white and gold for light, black for shadow, tattered for plague, leafy for nature etc.
support! imagine if the dragons you exalted had specially tailored robes that they all wear in honour of their deity! like, white and gold for light, black for shadow, tattered for plague, leafy for nature etc.
she/her/feather
...nah

First, I didn't read most of it so understand I probably don't understand everything, but this is a pointless and meaningless ramble to me. Besides, exalting isn't supposed to put more strain on the server - it's supposed to take away from it. Exalted dragons shouldn't be a big deal, for the health of the site. I support no extravagance on their part. Of course, not all of it is bad (especially not exalt bonuses) but some parts were already implemented. Also, exalted dragons are not dead dragons! They are dragons helping keep the site lag-free because of their absence from interactive gameplay (they're even tied to your account after exaltation). In addition, if you want dragons to have elemental robes/apparel they wear upon exaltation in honor of their deity, then I'm afraid I'll have to tell you that is a terrible idea. For one, lore. Not all dragons want to be exalted to that deity but are for lore. Don't take this away. Two, art. As an artist, I'd hate if I were an FR artist but had to spend time hand-drawing apparel for exalted, inactive dragons instead of making apparel for the active dragons. Even if there was a toggle, many would want individual toggles and again - server strain.

Keep in mind this was a suggestion 7 years ago too, and the site has changed since then, and there are way more dragons and users than their were back then.
...nah

First, I didn't read most of it so understand I probably don't understand everything, but this is a pointless and meaningless ramble to me. Besides, exalting isn't supposed to put more strain on the server - it's supposed to take away from it. Exalted dragons shouldn't be a big deal, for the health of the site. I support no extravagance on their part. Of course, not all of it is bad (especially not exalt bonuses) but some parts were already implemented. Also, exalted dragons are not dead dragons! They are dragons helping keep the site lag-free because of their absence from interactive gameplay (they're even tied to your account after exaltation). In addition, if you want dragons to have elemental robes/apparel they wear upon exaltation in honor of their deity, then I'm afraid I'll have to tell you that is a terrible idea. For one, lore. Not all dragons want to be exalted to that deity but are for lore. Don't take this away. Two, art. As an artist, I'd hate if I were an FR artist but had to spend time hand-drawing apparel for exalted, inactive dragons instead of making apparel for the active dragons. Even if there was a toggle, many would want individual toggles and again - server strain.

Keep in mind this was a suggestion 7 years ago too, and the site has changed since then, and there are way more dragons and users than their were back then.
0EgCmlK.png >> Wishlist
>> Avatar dragon
>> 1,000 Days of G&G
>> Bean's Showcase, Boutique, and Workshop
No support.
I don't know why this keeps getting bumped, honestly. This is 7 years old. Exalting has long been established as a GREAT money maker, and while it is not perfect this suggestion operates on the assumption that it's useless and unrewarding, when this hasn't been true since people figured out how to use trainers.
Also, it was designed to allow for dragon data (aside from name, colors/genes, and lineage) to be deleted from the server. That's also why dragon restoration doesn't work forever, by the way. All the data the server normally stores for a dragon (date of birth, apparel, skin, scene, broadcast message, involvement in any of the game's other systems, etc.) are deleted after a dragon has been exalted for 2 weeks. There's a reason why it happens.
I think that having special exaltation-related rewards would be cool, but I prefer just getting money that I can buy those items with so it stays accessible for people with other methods of income on the site.
No support.
I don't know why this keeps getting bumped, honestly. This is 7 years old. Exalting has long been established as a GREAT money maker, and while it is not perfect this suggestion operates on the assumption that it's useless and unrewarding, when this hasn't been true since people figured out how to use trainers.
Also, it was designed to allow for dragon data (aside from name, colors/genes, and lineage) to be deleted from the server. That's also why dragon restoration doesn't work forever, by the way. All the data the server normally stores for a dragon (date of birth, apparel, skin, scene, broadcast message, involvement in any of the game's other systems, etc.) are deleted after a dragon has been exalted for 2 weeks. There's a reason why it happens.
I think that having special exaltation-related rewards would be cool, but I prefer just getting money that I can buy those items with so it stays accessible for people with other methods of income on the site.
4Dclvwp.png
i mean, storage on the server is in such a state right now that THAT is what's limiting the size of people's lairs, because feeding ticks have the potential to basically choke the servers to death.

I got told they make SOOOOO much money that they can afford to do things like upgrade their servers etc without kickstarters so why don't they just do that and all these problems wouldn't be problems?

(Basically this is mild sarcasm and if they really could afford such things they would do it and that a Kickstarter probably would be beneficial)

I got told they make SOOOOO much money that they can afford to do things like upgrade their servers etc without kickstarters so why don't they just do that and all these problems wouldn't be problems?

(Basically this is mild sarcasm and if they really could afford such things they would do it and that a Kickstarter probably would be beneficial)

Having started when the site opened and following this particular thread from almost the beginning, it's interesting now to see a surge of no supports for it.
The stress on the servers seems to be one of the main reasons for no supports. I can see where this is coming from, as for the first couple years barely anyone was allowed in because of this.
However, this doesn't mean that more and more stable servers can't be a thing in the future.
Flightrising is always growing and evolving, and the biggest issue really is that the team did not expect the site to become as popular as it did right off the bat. I think in some ways they are still catching up from the site opening, where you had to wait hours to see if your account was even created because of the lag. They work hard to make sure lag issues are fixed as soon as possible and announce when there will be maintenance, acting quickly when issues come up from that.
All that said, I still support this idea, or at least parts of it. It was a neat idea back then, and still is now. Maybe I have a different view of the site as a whole since I remember every downtime and have seen how far the site has come.
Having started when the site opened and following this particular thread from almost the beginning, it's interesting now to see a surge of no supports for it.
The stress on the servers seems to be one of the main reasons for no supports. I can see where this is coming from, as for the first couple years barely anyone was allowed in because of this.
However, this doesn't mean that more and more stable servers can't be a thing in the future.
Flightrising is always growing and evolving, and the biggest issue really is that the team did not expect the site to become as popular as it did right off the bat. I think in some ways they are still catching up from the site opening, where you had to wait hours to see if your account was even created because of the lag. They work hard to make sure lag issues are fixed as soon as possible and announce when there will be maintenance, acting quickly when issues come up from that.
All that said, I still support this idea, or at least parts of it. It was a neat idea back then, and still is now. Maybe I have a different view of the site as a whole since I remember every downtime and have seen how far the site has come.
kbWMBt3.png40tk2UH.png0GOg895.png
While I think some of the proposed rewards would need to be tweaked, anything would be better than the current exalt system. I support this.
While I think some of the proposed rewards would need to be tweaked, anything would be better than the current exalt system. I support this.

Achilles
They/Them
Skin/Accent Shop
Wishlist
Fandragon tabs: {Lair} | {Hibden}
[quote]I don't know why this keeps getting bumped, honestly. This is 7 years old. Exalting has long been established as a GREAT money maker, and while it is not perfect this suggestion operates on the assumption that it's useless and unrewarding, when this hasn't been true since people figured out how to use trainers.[/quote] I guess because people might miss the days of the big dom battles where the fodder floor went exospheric and there was fun competition and it felt like a rewarding challenge to participate as a Flight. I think those days are gone: big dom battles like that are expensive in both time and currency, so we don't see them hardly as often. Exalting is most lucrative on an individual basis, but some people prefer (and do quite well) making their treasure from other venues. But those venues are necessarily less community-based. A wider variety of rewards would encourage more community participation. Flight projects in particular seem like a great idea on this front.
Quote:
I guess because people might miss the days of the big dom battles where the fodder floor went exospheric and there was fun competition and it felt like a rewarding challenge to participate as a Flight. I think those days are gone: big dom battles like that are expensive in both time and currency, so we don't see them hardly as often. Exalting is most lucrative on an individual basis, but some people prefer (and do quite well) making their treasure from other venues. But those venues are necessarily less community-based. A wider variety of rewards would encourage more community participation.

Flight projects in particular seem like a great idea on this front.
Cheerful Chime Almedha | share project
Fandragons
Lore Starts Here (WIP)
I collect Pulsing Relics!
candle-smol.png ____
47432632.png
1 2 ... 121 122 123 124 125 126 127