Back

Announcements & News

The latest announcements and Flight Rising news.
TOPIC | Keel: A New Tertiary Gene
1 2 ... 76 77 78 79 80 81 82
@Laluzi @Gurrero

But what neither of you are taking into account is:

1. This is the way the artist/s wanted it to look
2. This is the name the site wanted it to have

Regardless of anyone’s opinion of whether or not the gene looks like natural scales, is being used like natural scales, resembles actual keel scales etc.

And most importantly, you are not taking into consideration that people DO actually like this gene, as is, and are using it, and would be really angry if it changed AFTER they brewed/bought the genes and changed their dragons.

And I think the opinion of THOSE people >>>>> the opinion of the CHANGE IT!1!! people, every single time.
@Laluzi @Gurrero

But what neither of you are taking into account is:

1. This is the way the artist/s wanted it to look
2. This is the name the site wanted it to have

Regardless of anyone’s opinion of whether or not the gene looks like natural scales, is being used like natural scales, resembles actual keel scales etc.

And most importantly, you are not taking into consideration that people DO actually like this gene, as is, and are using it, and would be really angry if it changed AFTER they brewed/bought the genes and changed their dragons.

And I think the opinion of THOSE people >>>>> the opinion of the CHANGE IT!1!! people, every single time.
Dappervolk ID #27689
Rbf96Oh.gifCuK85yM.pngtRNevRC.gif
Agree to disagree? People have a right to their opinions, and as long as they're expressing them respectfully regardless of what they think about the gene, it shouldn't be an issue.

If staff/mods are having problems with how criticisms are being expressed/discussed, they will remove the posts as we have seen. "It looks like toenails" may not be the nicest/most constructive way to put it, but it is still civil.
Agree to disagree? People have a right to their opinions, and as long as they're expressing them respectfully regardless of what they think about the gene, it shouldn't be an issue.

If staff/mods are having problems with how criticisms are being expressed/discussed, they will remove the posts as we have seen. "It looks like toenails" may not be the nicest/most constructive way to put it, but it is still civil.
art is subjective. maybe some of us just see the toenails in it.
art is subjective. maybe some of us just see the toenails in it.
DbPd1nP.png
You criticize, but have you considered: [indent]a) You don't have to use it if you don't like it. b) [font=monospace][i][size=5]F R O O T[/font][/size][/i][/indent] [img]https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=1&body=120&bodygene=0&breed=8&element=10&eyetype=0&gender=1&tert=10&tertgene=53&winggene=0&wings=113&auth=e74a847c74682aa3f5c107b2c8acab0ebd6fb728&dummyext=prev.png[/img] [img]https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=0&body=2&bodygene=0&breed=11&element=6&eyetype=0&gender=0&tert=176&tertgene=53&winggene=0&wings=65&auth=809084a8d4147ba594c73fa2c6cd1cd4b411245d&dummyext=prev.png[/img]
You criticize, but have you considered:
a) You don't have to use it if you don't like it.
b) F R O O T
dragon?age=1&body=120&bodygene=0&breed=8&element=10&eyetype=0&gender=1&tert=10&tertgene=53&winggene=0&wings=113&auth=e74a847c74682aa3f5c107b2c8acab0ebd6fb728&dummyext=prev.png
dragon?age=0&body=2&bodygene=0&breed=11&element=6&eyetype=0&gender=0&tert=176&tertgene=53&winggene=0&wings=65&auth=809084a8d4147ba594c73fa2c6cd1cd4b411245d&dummyext=prev.png
HQsa6bD.png FR + 1 fr__arcane_by_baelfin-d8uyn6b.png
they/them
INTP
True Neutral

(I like to chill.)
14.png
UugYXap.png
[quote name="umbrishadow" date="2020-04-10 17:33:48" ] "it looks like toenails growing out of the scales" "it looks like the dragons have ticks" "it looks wrong this isn't what keeled scales looks like" these aren't feedback. they're insulting the artist's work and it's rude. the artists who work on this site take time and effort. yes this is a business, but it doesn't have to appeal to everyone. I don't like cherub. it isn't for me. does that mean I'm going to call it names and insult it? no. inconsistencies are different though. small fixes like accidentally going out of the lines when it doesn't mean to or to fix inconsistencies is different than changing the entire gene, which was worked on for likely many hours. art is HARD. that's something a lot of people insulting the genes don't seem to understand. I'm very grateful for this interesting and cool gene. it makes me want a spiral based on vines with thorns. [/quote] like everyone has said, the artists on this site are like... professionals and adults. who are providing a product to the people who use their website. not only is it ridiculous to act like they're gonna get their widdle feewings hurt by people not liking a gene they released. it seems like you might be the one who doesn't know about art, because many MANY of the people who have a problem with this have expressed that they're also in the art industry and know what goes into it. if you make art, especially professionally, you will gent blunt and occasionally rude criticism. i really think a lot of you people saying everyone is being too rude and we should coddle the admins can't see this because YOU would be too sensitive to take this kind of feedback. which is fine. plus... we already know they won't change it. it's so annoying that everyone is also shit talking the mockups people made as if staff would actually remake a whole gene because someone drew it better (we WISH bro). emphasizing that the community would like well thought out tertiary genes that are actually good to look at and work for more than like 3 specific color combinations/would like to have input in the process so things that are widely hated come out less often is helpful imo. if they only put out things people don't like, people aren't gonna spend money on their site. either way like it's just crazy to act like people should censor their criticisms. especially just bcs it literally doesn't affect you in any way to see someone say they don't like something! it's feedback for the STAFF, we aren't personally opening up your dragons files and making them look better to oppress you lmao.
umbrishadow wrote on 2020-04-10 17:33:48:
"it looks like toenails growing out of the scales"
"it looks like the dragons have ticks"
"it looks wrong this isn't what keeled scales looks like"

these aren't feedback. they're insulting the artist's work and it's rude. the artists who work on this site take time and effort. yes this is a business, but it doesn't have to appeal to everyone. I don't like cherub. it isn't for me. does that mean I'm going to call it names and insult it? no.

inconsistencies are different though. small fixes like accidentally going out of the lines when it doesn't mean to or to fix inconsistencies is different than changing the entire gene, which was worked on for likely many hours. art is HARD. that's something a lot of people insulting the genes don't seem to understand.

I'm very grateful for this interesting and cool gene. it makes me want a spiral based on vines with thorns.

like everyone has said, the artists on this site are like... professionals and adults. who are providing a product to the people who use their website. not only is it ridiculous to act like they're gonna get their widdle feewings hurt by people not liking a gene they released. it seems like you might be the one who doesn't know about art, because many MANY of the people who have a problem with this have expressed that they're also in the art industry and know what goes into it. if you make art, especially professionally, you will gent blunt and occasionally rude criticism.

i really think a lot of you people saying everyone is being too rude and we should coddle the admins can't see this because YOU would be too sensitive to take this kind of feedback. which is fine.

plus... we already know they won't change it. it's so annoying that everyone is also **** talking the mockups people made as if staff would actually remake a whole gene because someone drew it better (we WISH bro). emphasizing that the community would like well thought out tertiary genes that are actually good to look at and work for more than like 3 specific color combinations/would like to have input in the process so things that are widely hated come out less often is helpful imo. if they only put out things people don't like, people aren't gonna spend money on their site.

either way like it's just crazy to act like people should censor their criticisms. especially just bcs it literally doesn't affect you in any way to see someone say they don't like something! it's feedback for the STAFF, we aren't personally opening up your dragons files and making them look better to oppress you lmao.
4F3aTxd.png
it's my opinion that the gene is good and doesn't need to be changed. it's lovely the way it is, I wouldn't change a thing about it and it's obvious the artist worked hard on this gene.
it's my opinion that the gene is good and doesn't need to be changed. it's lovely the way it is, I wouldn't change a thing about it and it's obvious the artist worked hard on this gene.
tumblr_inline_pafumapXAW1r16a5d_540.png tumblr_paeahswwr21r45983o8_100.png
[quote name="umbrishadow" date="2020-04-10 18:08:57" ] "they look like toenails" "they look like ticks" these aren't criticisms they're insulting the artist's work but go off I guess [/quote] It isn't about insulting. If you pull up images, which people have done on other topics, you can see how similar they look to said items. There is another post in here that shows what actual keeling looks like. Even more people have pointed out how some of the larger scales look way out of place, the line-art is a bit thicker, the scales feel randomly placed, the scales do not seem to go in proper directions, and places on the wings/feather, and some fur spots should probably not have the scales at all. Going to use this bab as an example since it is up top of this area: [img]https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=0&body=76&bodygene=0&breed=9&element=1&eyetype=0&gender=0&tert=56&tertgene=53&winggene=0&wings=51&auth=0b3e2a077bfc0f18f25d1d12c9f4ac4064d81172&dummyext=prev.png[/img] Even just look at the scales on the primary gene on its legs vs the keel gene. The sizes are huge, do not match the same roundness, and are way over "shiny" Grabbing my favorite breed: [img]https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=1&body=43&bodygene=0&breed=12&element=1&eyetype=0&gender=0&tert=11&tertgene=53&winggene=0&wings=2&auth=018eee3bbfcd8c8b5eca0a7c354a0414a8bc400e&dummyext=prev.png[/img] Having those scales on the wings and head feathers make ZERO sense. Imagine a chicken without feather: [img]http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-HY3yl0-1Qiw/TpgRn1CUx9I/AAAAAAAAEXM/aRPfAY40jNU/s1600/01.jpg[/img] You could put keel on little portions of the wings, but not ON THE FEATHERS. It looks like dandruff at that point like the scales fell off and into the feathers which is not what actual keel is (if I am wrong, correct me.) [img]https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=1&body=43&bodygene=0&breed=10&element=1&eyetype=0&gender=1&tert=11&tertgene=53&winggene=0&wings=2&auth=fbe7735e38323e7c7c9165d9e7f761a7107cdd6b&dummyext=prev.png[/img] On the WC it has the two massive scales on the thigh and wing that look really out of place. And I could keep going but I am just repeating what everyone else has already said. People want to make it known that they feel it could have been better, but at some point it hits everyone repeating anything over and over again.
umbrishadow wrote on 2020-04-10 18:08:57:
"they look like toenails"
"they look like ticks"

these aren't criticisms they're insulting the artist's work but go off I guess

It isn't about insulting. If you pull up images, which people have done on other topics, you can see how similar they look to said items.

There is another post in here that shows what actual keeling looks like.

Even more people have pointed out how some of the larger scales look way out of place, the line-art is a bit thicker, the scales feel randomly placed, the scales do not seem to go in proper directions, and places on the wings/feather, and some fur spots should probably not have the scales at all.

Going to use this bab as an example since it is up top of this area:

dragon?age=0&body=76&bodygene=0&breed=9&element=1&eyetype=0&gender=0&tert=56&tertgene=53&winggene=0&wings=51&auth=0b3e2a077bfc0f18f25d1d12c9f4ac4064d81172&dummyext=prev.png

Even just look at the scales on the primary gene on its legs vs the keel gene. The sizes are huge, do not match the same roundness, and are way over "shiny"

Grabbing my favorite breed:

dragon?age=1&body=43&bodygene=0&breed=12&element=1&eyetype=0&gender=0&tert=11&tertgene=53&winggene=0&wings=2&auth=018eee3bbfcd8c8b5eca0a7c354a0414a8bc400e&dummyext=prev.png

Having those scales on the wings and head feathers make ZERO sense.
Imagine a chicken without feather:

01.jpg

You could put keel on little portions of the wings, but not ON THE FEATHERS. It looks like dandruff at that point like the scales fell off and into the feathers which is not what actual keel is (if I am wrong, correct me.)

dragon?age=1&body=43&bodygene=0&breed=10&element=1&eyetype=0&gender=1&tert=11&tertgene=53&winggene=0&wings=2&auth=fbe7735e38323e7c7c9165d9e7f761a7107cdd6b&dummyext=prev.png

On the WC it has the two massive scales on the thigh and wing that look really out of place.

And I could keep going but I am just repeating what everyone else has already said. People want to make it known that they feel it could have been better, but at some point it hits everyone repeating anything over and over again.
8YiSfVe.png
G1s for sale
It isn't rude to say the gene looks like toetails or tongues or ticks because it's kindaaa true with some scrys I've seen. But it's perfect if you want a plague rep. Heck, I've seen people use it for food dragons and cactus dragons and rose dragons.

I don't think the gene should be touched design wise since people are already using it. However, just because someone is criticizing it does not mean it's rude. It's criticism and you're bound to get it.
It isn't rude to say the gene looks like toetails or tongues or ticks because it's kindaaa true with some scrys I've seen. But it's perfect if you want a plague rep. Heck, I've seen people use it for food dragons and cactus dragons and rose dragons.

I don't think the gene should be touched design wise since people are already using it. However, just because someone is criticizing it does not mean it's rude. It's criticism and you're bound to get it.
laV4cLs.gif
[quote name="Mirimiri" date="2020-04-10 18:19:52" ] You criticize, but have you considered: [indent]a) You don't have to use it if you don't like it. b) [font=monospace][i][size=5]F R O O T[/font][/size][/i][/indent] [img]https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=1&body=120&bodygene=0&breed=8&element=10&eyetype=0&gender=1&tert=10&tertgene=53&winggene=0&wings=113&auth=e74a847c74682aa3f5c107b2c8acab0ebd6fb728&dummyext=prev.png[/img] [img]https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=0&body=2&bodygene=0&breed=11&element=6&eyetype=0&gender=0&tert=176&tertgene=53&winggene=0&wings=65&auth=809084a8d4147ba594c73fa2c6cd1cd4b411245d&dummyext=prev.png[/img] [/quote] honestly adorable babies!!
Mirimiri wrote on 2020-04-10 18:19:52:
You criticize, but have you considered:
a) You don't have to use it if you don't like it.
b) F R O O T
dragon?age=1&body=120&bodygene=0&breed=8&element=10&eyetype=0&gender=1&tert=10&tertgene=53&winggene=0&wings=113&auth=e74a847c74682aa3f5c107b2c8acab0ebd6fb728&dummyext=prev.png
dragon?age=0&body=2&bodygene=0&breed=11&element=6&eyetype=0&gender=0&tert=176&tertgene=53&winggene=0&wings=65&auth=809084a8d4147ba594c73fa2c6cd1cd4b411245d&dummyext=prev.png
honestly adorable babies!!
tumblr_inline_pafumapXAW1r16a5d_540.png tumblr_paeahswwr21r45983o8_100.png
While the gene really isn't something I myself would use, for reasons already stated, I've definitely seen a couple of neat scries with it. And as for the familiars... [emoji=coatl love size=1][emoji=coatl love size=1][emoji=coatl love size=1][emoji=coatl love size=1][emoji=coatl love size=1] (Just gotta get that stubborn purple turtle to drop for me. lol)
While the gene really isn't something I myself would use, for reasons already stated, I've definitely seen a couple of neat scries with it.

And as for the familiars...
(Just gotta get that stubborn purple turtle to drop for me. lol)
1 2 ... 76 77 78 79 80 81 82