Back

Announcements & News

The latest announcements and Flight Rising news.
TOPIC | Keel: A New Tertiary Gene
1 2 ... 74 75 76 77 78 ... 81 82
the people who run the site are still people. they still tried to do something good. a lot of comments I'm seeing are calling their work lazy, uninspired and just being ungrateful. that isn't okay. they're still REAL people with REAL feelings, which are probably hurt by these insults.

the gene is out, there's no "fixing" it. it's time to move on. get it, or don't. it doesn't matter. it's in the game now, and that isn't changing. people do like the gene, it seems like a vocal minority that doesn't. it's reminding me of when multigaze was brought in. people eventually moved on.

please be nice to the admins who run the site.
the people who run the site are still people. they still tried to do something good. a lot of comments I'm seeing are calling their work lazy, uninspired and just being ungrateful. that isn't okay. they're still REAL people with REAL feelings, which are probably hurt by these insults.

the gene is out, there's no "fixing" it. it's time to move on. get it, or don't. it doesn't matter. it's in the game now, and that isn't changing. people do like the gene, it seems like a vocal minority that doesn't. it's reminding me of when multigaze was brought in. people eventually moved on.

tumblr_inline_pafumapXAW1r16a5d_540.png tumblr_paeahswwr21r45983o8_100.png
I don't mind this gene however, i do feel like it can used to be renamed. As someone who is a fan of Keel Snakes, i don't feel like they did them justice with this gene. I do however, feel as though the gene matches more towards spikes, crystals & shards then scales. So, maybe renaming it would be better? That way the mute can stay as is. And maybe in the future they could have another go at keel scales. And for those who may not know, this is keel scales. https://bqekeeper.files.wordpress.com/2019/03/dsc09943.jpg I hope i explained that to where it makes sense .
I don't mind this gene however, i do feel like it can used to be renamed. As someone who is a fan of Keel Snakes, i don't feel like they did them justice with this gene. I do however, feel as though the gene matches more towards spikes, crystals & shards then scales. So, maybe renaming it would be better? That way the mute can stay as is. And maybe in the future they could have another go at keel scales. And for those who may not know, this is keel scales. https://bqekeeper.files.wordpress.com/2019/03/dsc09943.jpg I hope i explained that to where it makes sense .
[quote name="umbrishadow" date="2020-04-10 17:02:10" ] something I don't understand is why is it okay to insult the artist(s) who work on the game, but not critique the designs other players are saying are fixes? why is it okay to call the official art ugly or lazy, but not the "fixes"? what I'm getting at is. it isn't okay, neither is okay. don't be rude to the people who work on the site, don't be rude to the other players. please be nice to each other. [/quote] No one should insult the actual artist as a person. That's rude and mean spirited. Any piece of work submitted to the public can (and probably will) be critiqued in some manner. But a quick mockup done by a random user for free and with no expected level of minimal quality does NOT deserve the same level of critique as a final product by a professional paid artist on a site with a pre-established art style and level of quality. Not to mention that one is just a shared idea and the other is a product for purchase. They're clearly very different things here. --------- anyway since I'm finally breaking my silence, yeah, I'm not a fan. I think there are glaring anatomical, lineart, and shading issues with the gene that just aren't up to the quality of other on-site art. At minimum I'd appreciate a name change. That harms no one and at least leaves the door open for a real keeled scales gene down the line.
umbrishadow wrote on 2020-04-10 17:02:10:
something I don't understand is
why is it okay to insult the artist(s) who work on the game, but not critique the designs other players are saying are fixes?
why is it okay to call the official art ugly or lazy, but not the "fixes"?
what I'm getting at is. it isn't okay, neither is okay. don't be rude to the people who work on the site, don't be rude to the other players. please be nice to each other.
No one should insult the actual artist as a person. That's rude and mean spirited.

Any piece of work submitted to the public can (and probably will) be critiqued in some manner.

But a quick mockup done by a random user for free and with no expected level of minimal quality does NOT deserve the same level of critique as a final product by a professional paid artist on a site with a pre-established art style and level of quality. Not to mention that one is just a shared idea and the other is a product for purchase. They're clearly very different things here.

anyway since I'm finally breaking my silence, yeah, I'm not a fan. I think there are glaring anatomical, lineart, and shading issues with the gene that just aren't up to the quality of other on-site art. At minimum I'd appreciate a name change. That harms no one and at least leaves the door open for a real keeled scales gene down the line.
Wua5ROf.png
[quote name="umbrishadow" date="2020-04-10 17:17:55" ] the people who run the site are still people. they still tried to do something good. a lot of comments I'm seeing are calling their work lazy, uninspired and just being ungrateful. that isn't okay. they're still REAL people with REAL feelings, which are probably hurt by these insults. the gene is out, there's no "fixing" it. it's time to move on. get it, or don't. it doesn't matter. it's in the game now, and that isn't changing. people do like the gene, it seems like a vocal minority that doesn't. it's reminding me of when multigaze was brought in. people eventually moved on. please be nice to the admins who run the site. [/quote] In regards to the part about users being ungrateful... Flight Rising ultimately is a business, and there is profit to be made. Being unhappy with something is okay (and this isn't including people being nasty or vicious unnecessarily, that's another problem altogether) but the phrasing almost makes it seem like no one's allowed to complain, and I'm sure that's not the intention, it just puts a sour taste for me. People will definitely move on, and I'm sure there are countless pretty things that are coming along the way.
umbrishadow wrote on 2020-04-10 17:17:55:

In regards to the part about users being ungrateful... Flight Rising ultimately is a business, and there is profit to be made. Being unhappy with something is okay (and this isn't including people being nasty or vicious unnecessarily, that's another problem altogether) but the phrasing almost makes it seem like no one's allowed to complain, and I'm sure that's not the intention, it just puts a sour taste for me. People will definitely move on, and I'm sure there are countless pretty things that are coming along the way.
FVAZD1M.png
[quote name="umbrishadow" date="2020-04-10 17:17:55" ] the people who run the site are still people. they still tried to do something good. a lot of comments I'm seeing are calling their work lazy, uninspired and just being ungrateful. that isn't okay. they're still REAL people with REAL feelings, which are probably hurt by these insults. the gene is out, there's no "fixing" it. it's time to move on. get it, or don't. it doesn't matter. it's in the game now, and that isn't changing. people do like the gene, it seems like a vocal minority that doesn't. it's reminding me of when multigaze was brought in. people eventually moved on. please be nice to the admins who run the site. [/quote] I'm not advocating for rudeness or for the users to start harassing the admins. I'm just disagreeing that any and all negative feedback is unwarranted. There's a standard of quality that is expected on this site and for a lot of people, this gene does not meet it. You've been on the site for a long time, it surprises me that you are saying there is no fixing the gene when the staff did retroactively change saturn/jupiter when there was a kerfuffle about the inconsistencies between the breeds.
umbrishadow wrote on 2020-04-10 17:17:55:

I'm not advocating for rudeness or for the users to start harassing the admins. I'm just disagreeing that any and all negative feedback is unwarranted. There's a standard of quality that is expected on this site and for a lot of people, this gene does not meet it. You've been on the site for a long time, it surprises me that you are saying there is no fixing the gene when the staff did retroactively change saturn/jupiter when there was a kerfuffle about the inconsistencies between the breeds.
FR+6
Check out my cerdae collection! Feel free to send trade offers.Cerdae10567_D25-10_26-1_139_0_6_0.png
Ooh, Gembond 2! I like it!
Ooh, Gembond 2! I like it!
sup im stu

please click my eggs!
https://pokefarm.com/user/rainsoftenings
[quote name="Gurrero" date="2020-04-10 12:39:02" ] [quote name="Monako" date="2020-04-10 03:24:57" ] Hi! I think that this gene could be improved a bit and reduce the discomfort factor just by removing the amount of shading near the base of the scale so it doesn't look embedded in the skin along with a little bit of the line. While this does make it less dynamic the comparison to it looking like it's stabbing goes down too. Just my two cents. [b]Before: [/b] [img]https://i.imgur.com/b3kydFg.png[/img] [b]After: [/b] [img]https://i.imgur.com/1rVpTUp.png[/img] [/quote] @Monako This is a fantastic idea! I personally would like a revamp of the gene, however if they were going to change it as "little" as possible, this would be it. I do dislike how embedded the scales/shards/whatever feel, and making them seem more surface level than stuck in there I think would help because they are supposed to be scales, after all. I hope you will post this in the suggestion threads, because I know a whole rework of the gene is highly unlikely, but a possible "small" edit like this could tackle a portion of the problem the community has with the gene. Great idea :3 [/quote] Full agreement here, even that minor shading adjustment makes the gene more pleasant to look at. Of course I still think there's some issues with scale placements but having them look more like surface scales does make it more appealing.
Gurrero wrote on 2020-04-10 12:39:02:
Monako wrote on 2020-04-10 03:24:57:
Hi! I think that this gene could be improved a bit and reduce the discomfort factor just by removing the amount of shading near the base of the scale so it doesn't look embedded in the skin along with a little bit of the line. While this does make it less dynamic the comparison to it looking like it's stabbing goes down too.
Just my two cents.

Before:
b3kydFg.png

After:
1rVpTUp.png
@Monako
This is a fantastic idea! I personally would like a revamp of the gene, however if they were going to change it as "little" as possible, this would be it. I do dislike how embedded the scales/shards/whatever feel, and making them seem more surface level than stuck in there I think would help because they are supposed to be scales, after all.

I hope you will post this in the suggestion threads, because I know a whole rework of the gene is highly unlikely, but a possible "small" edit like this could tackle a portion of the problem the community has with the gene. Great idea :3

Full agreement here, even that minor shading adjustment makes the gene more pleasant to look at. Of course I still think there's some issues with scale placements but having them look more like surface scales does make it more appealing.
tXKbExw.png Please take a look at my HibDen for forum games! I store a lot of my dragons there cause I don't have space! Tabs I don't want used say so in tab description.
"it looks like toenails growing out of the scales"
"it looks like the dragons have ticks"
"it looks wrong this isn't what keeled scales looks like"

these aren't feedback. they're insulting the artist's work and it's rude. the artists who work on this site take time and effort. yes this is a business, but it doesn't have to appeal to everyone. I don't like cherub. it isn't for me. does that mean I'm going to call it names and insult it? no.

inconsistencies are different though. small fixes like accidentally going out of the lines when it doesn't mean to or to fix inconsistencies is different than changing the entire gene, which was worked on for likely many hours. art is HARD. that's something a lot of people insulting the genes don't seem to understand.

I'm very grateful for this interesting and cool gene. it makes me want a spiral based on vines with thorns.

these aren't feedback. they're insulting the artist's work and it's rude. the artists who work on this site take time and effort. yes this is a business, but it doesn't have to appeal to everyone. I don't like cherub. it isn't for me. does that mean I'm going to call it names and insult it? no.

inconsistencies are different though. small fixes like accidentally going out of the lines when it doesn't mean to or to fix inconsistencies is different than changing the entire gene, which was worked on for likely many hours. art is HARD. that's something a lot of people insulting the genes don't seem to understand.

I'm very grateful for this interesting and cool gene. it makes me want a spiral based on vines with thorns.
tumblr_inline_pafumapXAW1r16a5d_540.png tumblr_paeahswwr21r45983o8_100.png
[quote name="umbrishadow" date="2020-04-10 17:33:48" ] "it looks like toenails growing out of the scales" "it looks like the dragons have ticks" "it looks wrong this isn't what keeled scales looks like" these aren't feedback. they're insulting the artist's work and it's rude. the artists who work on this site take time and effort. yes this is a business, but it doesn't have to appeal to everyone. I don't like cherub. it isn't for me. does that mean I'm going to call it names and insult it? no. inconsistencies are different though. small fixes like accidentally going out of the lines when it doesn't mean to or to fix inconsistencies is different than changing the entire gene, which was worked on for likely many hours. art is HARD. that's something a lot of people insulting the genes don't seem to understand. I'm very grateful for this interesting and cool gene. it makes me want a spiral based on vines with thorns. [/quote] Oh, absolutely, I don't mean to come across like it's okay to insult it, I'll admit I certainly can't keep up with this thread, but I mean things that are nicely said and show genuine interest in feedback? Those are great! The things in general that are just trashing on the artist, for both staff and user? Get out with that. I'm very picky with this gene (as with quite a few, honestly) but I don't find it bad. Just not really my cup of tea most of the time.
umbrishadow wrote on 2020-04-10 17:33:48:

Oh, absolutely, I don't mean to come across like it's okay to insult it, I'll admit I certainly can't keep up with this thread, but I mean things that are nicely said and show genuine interest in feedback? Those are great! The things in general that are just trashing on the artist, for both staff and user? Get out with that.

I'm very picky with this gene (as with quite a few, honestly) but I don't find it bad. Just not really my cup of tea most of the time.
FVAZD1M.png
[quote name="umbrishadow" date="2020-04-10 16:31:52" ] I don't think there's any reason to "fix" this gene, since it's already out and people do like it and already have it. it would be unfair to those who enjoy the gene to change it now. [/quote] THIS I like this gene a LOT and think it is great just as it is. I don’t actually like ANY of the proposed alternatives, so I would be [i]extremely[/i] angry if the genes I brewed/dragons I gened suddenly changed because people can’t stop complaining. I don’t think people understand that, whatever their preconceived notions, [u] this gene looks [i]EXACTLY[/i] how FR artists [b]intended it[/b] to look[/u].
umbrishadow wrote on 2020-04-10 16:31:52:
I don't think there's any reason to "fix" this gene, since it's already out and people do like it and already have it. it would be unfair to those who enjoy the gene to change it now.
THIS

I like this gene a LOT and think it is great just as it is.
I don’t actually like ANY of the proposed alternatives, so I would be extremely angry if the genes I brewed/dragons I gened suddenly changed because people can’t stop complaining.

I don’t think people understand that, whatever their preconceived notions, this gene looks EXACTLY how FR artists intended it to look.

Dappervolk ID #27689
Rbf96Oh.gifCuK85yM.pngtRNevRC.gif
1 2 ... 74 75 76 77 78 ... 81 82