Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | hiding multigaze and primal??
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
My biggest thought on all of this as I don't mind any of the eyes and nothing on this site as bothered me in the slightest.. is how to add such a feature to block certain things so people with said phobias don't see them..

I mean if we start blocking these images or dragons what if others start speaking up about other things that bother them? Not saying their input is less important than anyone else but I question where it would all end?

Like I have a minor phobia of water due to a childhood experience but it doesn't bother me as far as images go. A overly detailed game or movie .. yes I get a bit tense and I can kind of side with folks not wanting to see certain things.

But I'm not sure how to suggest a system to hide things unless you literally had a option for the accounts where you can just turn on and off the dragon images.. I don't want to think about the time and resources they'd have to put in for a more complex system where you check off body horror or multi eyes or whatever else is upsetting people. I wish there was a way to help everyone but I doubt anything that complicated will get added.

The only advice I can give those having the issues or fearing their hatches now is to just plan to exalt or give away any hatchlings that are born with special eyes or whatever you want to call them.
My biggest thought on all of this as I don't mind any of the eyes and nothing on this site as bothered me in the slightest.. is how to add such a feature to block certain things so people with said phobias don't see them..

I mean if we start blocking these images or dragons what if others start speaking up about other things that bother them? Not saying their input is less important than anyone else but I question where it would all end?

Like I have a minor phobia of water due to a childhood experience but it doesn't bother me as far as images go. A overly detailed game or movie .. yes I get a bit tense and I can kind of side with folks not wanting to see certain things.

But I'm not sure how to suggest a system to hide things unless you literally had a option for the accounts where you can just turn on and off the dragon images.. I don't want to think about the time and resources they'd have to put in for a more complex system where you check off body horror or multi eyes or whatever else is upsetting people. I wish there was a way to help everyone but I doubt anything that complicated will get added.

The only advice I can give those having the issues or fearing their hatches now is to just plan to exalt or give away any hatchlings that are born with special eyes or whatever you want to call them.
What would you
attempt
if you could not
fail?
mirna_by_pupmew-dcgjmvo.png snapper_button.png
[quote name="Dullanyan" date="2018-06-12 18:13:22" ] hey not gonna @ anyone but lets cool it with the "oversensitive" and "snowflake" things alright. personally im not bothered by anything like multigaze and primal, but hey, brains are jerks. many of the times when ppl have phobias, they KNOW its irrational. they know it may seem silly to others that theyre bothered by it. but that doesnt stop them from being bothered by it. unrelated example, i have a phobia of being around any dead animals/insects. the bugs arent gonna hurt me, i know, and theyre dead, i just have to clean them. i can handle them when theyre alive. i know its absolutely ridiculous, but yet i still get very anxious. its beyond my control. i know this isnt very related to the thread, but acting like someone who has a different opinion or view than you is a "special snowflake" really gets on my nerves lmao [/quote] [size=5][size=6][b]!!THIS!!THIS!!THIS!!THIS!![/b][/size][/size] For Arcanist's sake, people, learn to have some empathy will ya? You won't die from caring about others, I promise. Yes, with hard work, someone CAN get over their phobias. But you can't force them to just "get over it" just so you can get what you want.
Dullanyan wrote on 2018-06-12 18:13:22:
hey not gonna @ anyone but lets cool it with the "oversensitive" and "snowflake" things alright.

personally im not bothered by anything like multigaze and primal, but hey, brains are jerks. many of the times when ppl have phobias, they KNOW its irrational. they know it may seem silly to others that theyre bothered by it. but that doesnt stop them from being bothered by it.

unrelated example, i have a phobia of being around any dead animals/insects. the bugs arent gonna hurt me, i know, and theyre dead, i just have to clean them. i can handle them when theyre alive. i know its absolutely ridiculous, but yet i still get very anxious. its beyond my control.

i know this isnt very related to the thread, but acting like someone who has a different opinion or view than you is a "special snowflake" really gets on my nerves lmao

!!THIS!!THIS!!THIS!!THIS!!

For Arcanist's sake, people, learn to have some empathy will ya? You won't die from caring about others, I promise.

Yes, with hard work, someone CAN get over their phobias. But you can't force them to just "get over it" just so you can get what you want.
Blue_Rose.pngunknown.pngPale_Pink_Rose.png
[quote name="MegaAerodactyl" date="2018-06-12 15:52:13" ] im being diagnosed with anxiety and i have a crippling fear of needles to the point where typing the word can have ill effects on me. that does not mean i should expect everyone to cater to my needs and it does not mean that my poor experiences should hinder anyone else's good ones. it's my problem. i should be responsible for the content that im subjecting myself to and find ways to cope. if you don't like the eyes, you don't have to play flight rising. i understand that it's probably upsetting to put a game down, especially if you've put so much effort into it, but your health should absolutely come first. anyway, multi odds are low. i think the toggling option would be good though, since you can eliminate the problem of every multi dragon as opposed to the few that you hatch, and some people aren't badly disturbed, just somewhat unsettled. [/quote] My emetophobia is the same! Can't type the offending word (haven't in nearly 10 years lol), can barely [i]read[/i] the word, and seeing people describe or draw the word- however cartoony- gives me panic attacks that I have to cope with. Seeing the event in real life, or getting nauseous myself, is the makings of a full-on meltdown. :'V But my phobia (well, what it revolves around) is an incredibly popular "comic relief" thing in North America. It's in countless cartoons, movies, and games. It's in items and images on pet sites I play. It's in books for shock value or "sick episodes". People joke about it all the time. Despite how badly it sets off my anxiety and OCD, I [i]cannot[/i] reasonably expect the world to bend to accommodate me-- it's on me to learn how to manage. To avoid it, I don't watch TV, I barely watch movies, and in the event that a scene does come up, I look away and have to go through exercises to prevent myself from freaking out. On pet sites, when I get an item pertaining to my phobia, I immediately sell or delete it so that it's out of sight as fast as possible. I can't expect companies and games to change their content for me when probably 90% of people don't care or find it funny. I know it sounds heartless, and I'm not opposed to a toggle option (Multi-Gaze especially feels more like a Baldwin thing than a regular hatch chance), but I've seen some people speak like they're [i]entitled[/i] to never seeing their trigger and that the lack of accommodation is mean/shortsighted/etc., and it's so ????? to me. [b]edit:[/b] I agree with the "snowflake" thing, though. :'u People can have phobias of all kinds of things, and I can tell you through firsthand experience that being made fun of for it solves nothing.
MegaAerodactyl wrote on 2018-06-12 15:52:13:
im being diagnosed with anxiety and i have a crippling fear of needles to the point where typing the word can have ill effects on me. that does not mean i should expect everyone to cater to my needs and it does not mean that my poor experiences should hinder anyone else's good ones. it's my problem. i should be responsible for the content that im subjecting myself to and find ways to cope.

if you don't like the eyes, you don't have to play flight rising. i understand that it's probably upsetting to put a game down, especially if you've put so much effort into it, but your health should absolutely come first.

anyway, multi odds are low. i think the toggling option would be good though, since you can eliminate the problem of every multi dragon as opposed to the few that you hatch, and some people aren't badly disturbed, just somewhat unsettled.

My emetophobia is the same! Can't type the offending word (haven't in nearly 10 years lol), can barely read the word, and seeing people describe or draw the word- however cartoony- gives me panic attacks that I have to cope with. Seeing the event in real life, or getting nauseous myself, is the makings of a full-on meltdown. :'V

But my phobia (well, what it revolves around) is an incredibly popular "comic relief" thing in North America. It's in countless cartoons, movies, and games. It's in items and images on pet sites I play. It's in books for shock value or "sick episodes". People joke about it all the time. Despite how badly it sets off my anxiety and OCD, I cannot reasonably expect the world to bend to accommodate me-- it's on me to learn how to manage.

To avoid it, I don't watch TV, I barely watch movies, and in the event that a scene does come up, I look away and have to go through exercises to prevent myself from freaking out. On pet sites, when I get an item pertaining to my phobia, I immediately sell or delete it so that it's out of sight as fast as possible. I can't expect companies and games to change their content for me when probably 90% of people don't care or find it funny.

I know it sounds heartless, and I'm not opposed to a toggle option (Multi-Gaze especially feels more like a Baldwin thing than a regular hatch chance), but I've seen some people speak like they're entitled to never seeing their trigger and that the lack of accommodation is mean/shortsighted/etc., and it's so ????? to me.

edit: I agree with the "snowflake" thing, though. :'u People can have phobias of all kinds of things, and I can tell you through firsthand experience that being made fun of for it solves nothing.
PB-logo-transparent1.png gem.png Ashes | F
gem.png +4h FR time
gem.png Feel free to ping me!
[quote name="Dullanyan" date="2018-06-12 18:13:22" ] hey not gonna @ anyone but lets cool it with the "oversensitive" and "snowflake" things alright. personally im not bothered by anything like multigaze and primal, but hey, brains are jerks. many of the times when ppl have phobias, they KNOW its irrational. they know it may seem silly to others that theyre bothered by it. but that doesnt stop them from being bothered by it. unrelated example, i have a phobia of being around any dead animals/insects. the bugs arent gonna hurt me, i know, and theyre dead, i just have to clean them. i can handle them when theyre alive. i know its absolutely ridiculous, but yet i still get very anxious. its beyond my control. i know this isnt very related to the thread, but acting like someone who has a different opinion or view than you is a "special snowflake" really gets on my nerves lmao [/quote] Alright, agreed full stop here. Like pereonally, I'd not throw in thoughts on toggle becssuse uhhh not my place, but I will sgree on the snowflake-calling. Yes, I do have triggers, yes they're stupid, but they do terrify me. They can only happen in the real world, thankfully - having the lights surprise turned off on me makes me panic as does people yelling at me (the sound triggers me). And if I could turn off my reaction, I would in a heartbeat. I do try to avoid those dituations as best as I can - not well for the latter, because people IRL yell at me for any display of emotion - and that's why I don't like the snowflake thing regarding things that make someone panic. [i]Please[/i] use other arguments. With that said, I think I smell thread deletion soon....
hey not gonna @ anyone but lets cool it with the "oversensitive" and "snowflake" things alright.

personally im not bothered by anything like multigaze and primal, but hey, brains are jerks. many of the times when ppl have phobias, they KNOW its irrational. they know it may seem silly to others that theyre bothered by it. but that doesnt stop them from being bothered by it.

unrelated example, i have a phobia of being around any dead animals/insects. the bugs arent gonna hurt me, i know, and theyre dead, i just have to clean them. i can handle them when theyre alive. i know its absolutely ridiculous, but yet i still get very anxious. its beyond my control.

i know this isnt very related to the thread, but acting like someone who has a different opinion or view than you is a "special snowflake" really gets on my nerves lmao

Alright, agreed full stop here. Like pereonally, I'd not throw in thoughts on toggle becssuse uhhh not my place, but I will sgree on the snowflake-calling.

Yes, I do have triggers, yes they're stupid, but they do terrify me. They can only happen in the real world, thankfully - having the lights surprise turned off on me makes me panic as does people yelling at me (the sound triggers me). And if I could turn off my reaction, I would in a heartbeat. I do try to avoid those dituations as best as I can - not well for the latter, because people IRL yell at me for any display of emotion - and that's why I don't like the snowflake thing regarding things that make someone panic. Please use other arguments.

With that said, I think I smell thread deletion soon....

He/him | FRT+1 x
After reading the thread, I'd like to offer a (possible?) compromise: Add a toggle that affects only that user's chance of hatching a dragon with multi-gaze. That way they can avoid having it show up in their own lair but doesn't affect anyone else. It doesn't filter dragons in other lairs, the AH, the forums, or the SW. It just removes the chance for them to hatch a dragon with it from one of their own nests. To accommodate having one less thing that can hatch, the chances for a common/uncommon/unusual is upped while the rare/faceted/primal ones stay the same.

Not sure how hard this would be to code but. This seems like a better compromise than merely not addressing it.

(Note: While I don't like multi-gaze, it also doesn't bother me. Just wanted to offer a suggestion.)
After reading the thread, I'd like to offer a (possible?) compromise: Add a toggle that affects only that user's chance of hatching a dragon with multi-gaze. That way they can avoid having it show up in their own lair but doesn't affect anyone else. It doesn't filter dragons in other lairs, the AH, the forums, or the SW. It just removes the chance for them to hatch a dragon with it from one of their own nests. To accommodate having one less thing that can hatch, the chances for a common/uncommon/unusual is upped while the rare/faceted/primal ones stay the same.

Not sure how hard this would be to code but. This seems like a better compromise than merely not addressing it.

(Note: While I don't like multi-gaze, it also doesn't bother me. Just wanted to offer a suggestion.)
QjxN3Ta.jpg
Toggling whether you can hatch it or not seems like a good compromise! People can avoid certain genes by not buying or breeding dragons with those genes, but you can't do that with eyes right now.

There's also going to be a "revert to Common" vial, so that might help too? Not quite as good of a fix, maybe, but at least people can slap one of those on any Multi-Gaze or Primal babies they hatch.
Toggling whether you can hatch it or not seems like a good compromise! People can avoid certain genes by not buying or breeding dragons with those genes, but you can't do that with eyes right now.

There's also going to be a "revert to Common" vial, so that might help too? Not quite as good of a fix, maybe, but at least people can slap one of those on any Multi-Gaze or Primal babies they hatch.
PB-logo-transparent1.png gem.png Ashes | F
gem.png +4h FR time
gem.png Feel free to ping me!
Agree wholeheartedly on the snowflakes bit.

I also agree that there should be personal toggles for people. Maybe just a little list you can check from Account Settings, almost like the animation effects for the coliseum.

Just checkboxes with:

-Show Eyes (expanded has a list where you can check/uncheck them each individually)
-Show Accents
-Show Skins
(Etc.)

I think that could solve quite a bit?
Agree wholeheartedly on the snowflakes bit.

I also agree that there should be personal toggles for people. Maybe just a little list you can check from Account Settings, almost like the animation effects for the coliseum.

Just checkboxes with:

-Show Eyes (expanded has a list where you can check/uncheck them each individually)
-Show Accents
-Show Skins
(Etc.)

I think that could solve quite a bit?
5159.pngoie-MMw-Romgf4h-RP.png7684.png
As someone who also deals with similar issues with anxiety (not gonna go into detail) I also agree its that person's responsibility to deal with their issues when they arise because the world will rarely cater to your needs, especially in large communities. Trying to avoid your phobias at every possible turn and trying to make people cater to your needs like your entitled due to your mental disorder is not the way to go if you want to learn to live in a healthy environment and socialize with people in general. I understand some people seriously need help when what they're dealing with physically and mentally distresses them, but that's something most people deal with in more serious scenarios that affect their ability to function in real life, and not an online game that is entirely optional. And people who have to deal with their phobias in media like tv shows or video games learn to manage it or avoid it entirely.

The fact is an online game like flight rising will not likely cater to the minority asking for this, and its on the responsibility of the person to learn to manage it. From what we know about the eye genes the chance of getting primal and multi eye is so low (like 1% low) that it shouldn't be a serious concern, especially when we have a revert to common eye option coming up. Going to change or exalt your dragon with these genes would take only a minute, and scrolling past dragons with similar issues only takes a moment. I don't know how severe this issue is with some people but that's really stretching the idea your entitled for censorship when avoiding it is not hard. I'm also a little puzzled why there's such a huge outcry against this when we already have skins, items, and familiars with very similar problems (that for some are arguably more graphic) that people using this site have a much higher chance of encountering than the eyes.

Also agree that the staff will not likely add this function because coding it would provide little benefit to them, and that if they censor the eyes they will start taking on other demands that would start getting out of hand. I'm not against the idea of having it, but I seriously don't see it happening.

As someone who also deals with similar issues with anxiety (not gonna go into detail) I also agree its that person's responsibility to deal with their issues when they arise because the world will rarely cater to your needs, especially in large communities. Trying to avoid your phobias at every possible turn and trying to make people cater to your needs like your entitled due to your mental disorder is not the way to go if you want to learn to live in a healthy environment and socialize with people in general. I understand some people seriously need help when what they're dealing with physically and mentally distresses them, but that's something most people deal with in more serious scenarios that affect their ability to function in real life, and not an online game that is entirely optional. And people who have to deal with their phobias in media like tv shows or video games learn to manage it or avoid it entirely.

The fact is an online game like flight rising will not likely cater to the minority asking for this, and its on the responsibility of the person to learn to manage it. From what we know about the eye genes the chance of getting primal and multi eye is so low (like 1% low) that it shouldn't be a serious concern, especially when we have a revert to common eye option coming up. Going to change or exalt your dragon with these genes would take only a minute, and scrolling past dragons with similar issues only takes a moment. I don't know how severe this issue is with some people but that's really stretching the idea your entitled for censorship when avoiding it is not hard. I'm also a little puzzled why there's such a huge outcry against this when we already have skins, items, and familiars with very similar problems (that for some are arguably more graphic) that people using this site have a much higher chance of encountering than the eyes.

Also agree that the staff will not likely add this function because coding it would provide little benefit to them, and that if they censor the eyes they will start taking on other demands that would start getting out of hand. I'm not against the idea of having it, but I seriously don't see it happening.

riversong_charity_raffleblack_by_manecoon-dbh5oz8.gif
[quote name="Dullanyan" date="2018-06-12 18:13:22" ] hey not gonna @ anyone but lets cool it with the "oversensitive" and "snowflake" things alright. personally im not bothered by anything like multigaze and primal, but hey, brains are jerks. many of the times when ppl have phobias, they KNOW its irrational. they know it may seem silly to others that theyre bothered by it. but that doesnt stop them from being bothered by it. unrelated example, i have a phobia of being around any dead animals/insects. the bugs arent gonna hurt me, i know, and theyre dead, i just have to clean them. i can handle them when theyre alive. i know its absolutely ridiculous, but yet i still get very anxious. its beyond my control. i know this isnt very related to the thread, but acting like someone who has a different opinion or view than you is a "special snowflake" really gets on my nerves lmao [/quote] [size=6][b][i][color=345120]this[/b][/i][/size][/color] [size=2][s]still suprised this thread is still up[/size][/s]

this
still suprised this thread is still up
i need to redo my signature
casey/zoru - they/them
fr +3
mp100/spyxfamily/pokemon/loz/ace attorney
I have to agree, this seems like an extremely ridiculous reaction for something that is well within acceptable for a pg site
I have to agree, this seems like an extremely ridiculous reaction for something that is well within acceptable for a pg site
I hope you're having a great day•buy the pretty dragon
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10