Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | hiding multigaze and primal??
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
I find this whole thing a little bit crazy. I've got terrible, terrible misophonia, and I have to manage by myself. Games aren't going to implement a whole system that allows me to block out certain sound effects because they trigger me. I have to either mute it as a whole or find a way to stay calm when I hear my trigger noises. The same applies to the people who are afraid of the eyes. You can't expect other people to go out of their way to make you feel better. If it causes you genuine distress, wait to breed until they release the revert to common item. Or sell the hatchling. It's not that difficult to avoid, really.
I find this whole thing a little bit crazy. I've got terrible, terrible misophonia, and I have to manage by myself. Games aren't going to implement a whole system that allows me to block out certain sound effects because they trigger me. I have to either mute it as a whole or find a way to stay calm when I hear my trigger noises. The same applies to the people who are afraid of the eyes. You can't expect other people to go out of their way to make you feel better. If it causes you genuine distress, wait to breed until they release the revert to common item. Or sell the hatchling. It's not that difficult to avoid, really.
imageedit_7_8440965932.png
✧✧✧ AXES - THEY - 21 ✧✧✧
•••
MY HATCHERY
imageedit_6_5428970908.png
I think @Charias said it best, but I'll add my own voice to the pile as well. I'm no stranger to anxiety and discomfort. Not too long ago, something I saw on TV caused me an unexpected anxiety attack. I've gotten slightly nauseous looking at Plague stuff before. I have a phobia of a certain insect. There are certain moving Pokemon sprites from Black/White that make me motion sick to the point of nearly throwing up if I have them on screen for more than a few minutes, and those sprites are [i]everywhere, [/i]all over sites even unrelated to Pokemon. I, like most people, have seen pictures of that frog with holes in it and have been utterly horrified. And all that is my problem to deal with. I don't complain when nature sites post the frog or the bug, the anxiety attack wasn't that TV show's fault, and when I see the animated sprites I scroll by fast as I can. Sometimes have had to cover part of the screen with my hands so I could read around the sprites. But I'm not going to ask people to stop using those sprites just because they make me personally so badly motion sick. People are saying that it's insensitive to say that FR doesn't need an eye filter because I'm not bothered by the eyes. But there's a point where you have to draw a line. Imagine someone is phobic of snakes. Chasing them with a snake? Not ok. But you can't censor every snake in the world. If there happens to be a snake in the outdoors or a picture of a snake somewhere, that's their own struggle to deal with. Not to mention that there's no possible way to account for everything that might bother a person. That bug I'm scared of? It's these guys: https://cdn.domyown.com/images/thumbnails/crane_fly_mosquito_hawk/crane_fly_mosquito_hawk.jpg.thumb_848x566.jpg Yes, I did just force myself to look at that picture to make a point. It wasn't fun. I needed a minute to gather myself after. I absolutely [i]hate[/i] those things with an eternal passion, but sometimes you just have to deal with that. If FR introduced a new random chance thing that stamped a photorealistic cranefly on top of some dragons, I'd still be opposed to a content filter to hide it. Words cannot describe how much I'd hate seeing them around, but I'd exalt and I'd scroll fast and I'd deal with it myself. Thought what @Sijax said is important and should be kept in the discussion, as well: [quote]also, i've kinda noticed that the people WITH the severe phobias and stuff are the ones arguing against the toggle... doesn't that tell y'all something? [/quote]
I think @Charias said it best, but I'll add my own voice to the pile as well.

I'm no stranger to anxiety and discomfort. Not too long ago, something I saw on TV caused me an unexpected anxiety attack. I've gotten slightly nauseous looking at Plague stuff before. I have a phobia of a certain insect. There are certain moving Pokemon sprites from Black/White that make me motion sick to the point of nearly throwing up if I have them on screen for more than a few minutes, and those sprites are everywhere, all over sites even unrelated to Pokemon. I, like most people, have seen pictures of that frog with holes in it and have been utterly horrified.

And all that is my problem to deal with. I don't complain when nature sites post the frog or the bug, the anxiety attack wasn't that TV show's fault, and when I see the animated sprites I scroll by fast as I can. Sometimes have had to cover part of the screen with my hands so I could read around the sprites. But I'm not going to ask people to stop using those sprites just because they make me personally so badly motion sick.

People are saying that it's insensitive to say that FR doesn't need an eye filter because I'm not bothered by the eyes. But there's a point where you have to draw a line.

Imagine someone is phobic of snakes. Chasing them with a snake? Not ok. But you can't censor every snake in the world. If there happens to be a snake in the outdoors or a picture of a snake somewhere, that's their own struggle to deal with.

Not to mention that there's no possible way to account for everything that might bother a person. That bug I'm scared of? It's these guys: https://cdn.domyown.com/images/thumbnails/crane_fly_mosquito_hawk/crane_fly_mosquito_hawk.jpg.thumb_848x566.jpg
Yes, I did just force myself to look at that picture to make a point. It wasn't fun. I needed a minute to gather myself after. I absolutely hate those things with an eternal passion, but sometimes you just have to deal with that. If FR introduced a new random chance thing that stamped a photorealistic cranefly on top of some dragons, I'd still be opposed to a content filter to hide it. Words cannot describe how much I'd hate seeing them around, but I'd exalt and I'd scroll fast and I'd deal with it myself.

Thought what @Sijax said is important and should be kept in the discussion, as well:
Quote:
also, i've kinda noticed that the people WITH the severe phobias and stuff are the ones arguing against the toggle... doesn't that tell y'all something?
The RNG taketh, and the RNG taketh more. The RNG does not give.
Hoard style apparel guide (!image heavy!)
Small art shop!
I don't like multi eyes. I've seen skins and accents on here since day one with them. I don't have a multi eye phobia, its just not appealing to me.

Everything on here has a name, right? For the legit handful of people here, the staff can set up a block system for all users like Tumblr has. You just type in the name or ID of that item and bam, you'll never see it again. We have a block system for users.

The multigaze has a name and ID, plague primal has a name and ID. You can add that to the block list and it'll block the eye itself. What if that dragon has art? Well, you have adblock.

Yes, exposure helps with defeating the phobia/whatever but no one has a right to tell that person when they should have to learn to cope with it.

Adding a simple blocking system would benefit everyone whether you have a phobia or not. Maybe you don't want to see BlahRage's dragon DoomSmacker because it has plague eyes. Add that dragon's ID to the block list and it's gone.

Don't want to see the word ****? We already have a filter for that.

I'm not saying we should coddle the minority here, I'm saying if it is as easy to implement as a user blocking system, then why not? It won't hurt me, I'll find a way to use it or not at all. It won't hurt me to know it's there and never use it.

People with phobias or sensitivities must eventually address their issues through personal checks and therapy. They don't have a right to enforce others whether individual or corporate to cater to them and they know this but neither do the rest who don't have those phobias have a right to deny those people from something as simple as a recycled coding method. Even if it sounds overdramatic and ridiculous to some, just knowing you're making a gaming experience for a stranger somewhat easier is a blessing and you would think it would make you feel good knowing Susan won't wretch when you show her your plague primal baby after she turns the block on.

But I'm open minded and would go either way so what do I know.
I don't like multi eyes. I've seen skins and accents on here since day one with them. I don't have a multi eye phobia, its just not appealing to me.

Everything on here has a name, right? For the legit handful of people here, the staff can set up a block system for all users like Tumblr has. You just type in the name or ID of that item and bam, you'll never see it again. We have a block system for users.

The multigaze has a name and ID, plague primal has a name and ID. You can add that to the block list and it'll block the eye itself. What if that dragon has art? Well, you have adblock.

Yes, exposure helps with defeating the phobia/whatever but no one has a right to tell that person when they should have to learn to cope with it.

Adding a simple blocking system would benefit everyone whether you have a phobia or not. Maybe you don't want to see BlahRage's dragon DoomSmacker because it has plague eyes. Add that dragon's ID to the block list and it's gone.

Don't want to see the word ****? We already have a filter for that.

I'm not saying we should coddle the minority here, I'm saying if it is as easy to implement as a user blocking system, then why not? It won't hurt me, I'll find a way to use it or not at all. It won't hurt me to know it's there and never use it.

People with phobias or sensitivities must eventually address their issues through personal checks and therapy. They don't have a right to enforce others whether individual or corporate to cater to them and they know this but neither do the rest who don't have those phobias have a right to deny those people from something as simple as a recycled coding method. Even if it sounds overdramatic and ridiculous to some, just knowing you're making a gaming experience for a stranger somewhat easier is a blessing and you would think it would make you feel good knowing Susan won't wretch when you show her your plague primal baby after she turns the block on.

But I'm open minded and would go either way so what do I know.
hbJfbe2.png
[quote name="whiteraven90" date="2018-06-12 23:55:03" ] Exposure therapy only helps if the phobia-sufferer initiates it, and/or if they are a willing participant and if the therapy is controlled (not random occurrence) and coupled with cognitive behavioral therapy and conducted by a professional if possible. [/quote] I thought i wasn't gonna comment on this thread again but this is kinda... blatantly untrue. I get thrown into situations with my phobias all the time against my will with no professionals involved and my ability to handle it has only gotten better over the years. Also, I feel like i should point out that i don't recall seeing anyone who actually has a phobia of the eyes AND ssupports the toggle. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
whiteraven90 wrote on 2018-06-12 23:55:03:
Exposure therapy only helps if the phobia-sufferer initiates it, and/or if they are a willing participant and if the therapy is controlled (not random occurrence) and coupled with cognitive behavioral therapy and conducted by a professional if possible.

I thought i wasn't gonna comment on this thread again but this is kinda... blatantly untrue. I get thrown into situations with my phobias all the time against my will with no professionals involved and my ability to handle it has only gotten better over the years.

Also, I feel like i should point out that i don't recall seeing anyone who actually has a phobia of the eyes AND ssupports the toggle. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
lightning_small.pngplague_small.png
| remember that there is metal in your blood and lightning in your heart |
| they/them | certified dweeb | +3 fr time |
I think this will be my last post on this thread because it definitely feels less like a discussion about hiding the eyes and more of a discussion about whether or not you should respect people's phobias/fears.
I think there's a couple ways to work around this, whether it be making a toggle similar to the HD dragon toggle, or changing multigaze to be more opt-in (meaning you have to apply the eyes yourself like the glowing eyes). In any case, I just find it kind of concerning that so many people are openly saying that the people who want to protect themselves are too "easily triggered" or "special snowflakes". As soon as I saw this update I knew it was gonna cause discourse in the forums, I didn't expect it to make people blatantly disregard other's personal feelings/fears. This place is starting to feel like the undesirable parts of tumblr, oof. Anyways, I hope some of the upcoming updates make it easier for the people who want to stay away from the eyes to do just that while keeping the players who are fine with them happy too. Hopefully there will eventually be a solution for everyone :V
I think this will be my last post on this thread because it definitely feels less like a discussion about hiding the eyes and more of a discussion about whether or not you should respect people's phobias/fears.
I think there's a couple ways to work around this, whether it be making a toggle similar to the HD dragon toggle, or changing multigaze to be more opt-in (meaning you have to apply the eyes yourself like the glowing eyes). In any case, I just find it kind of concerning that so many people are openly saying that the people who want to protect themselves are too "easily triggered" or "special snowflakes". As soon as I saw this update I knew it was gonna cause discourse in the forums, I didn't expect it to make people blatantly disregard other's personal feelings/fears. This place is starting to feel like the undesirable parts of tumblr, oof. Anyways, I hope some of the upcoming updates make it easier for the people who want to stay away from the eyes to do just that while keeping the players who are fine with them happy too. Hopefully there will eventually be a solution for everyone :V
hourglass.gifYou'll be okayhourglass.gif
@Sijax What you have there is anecdotal evidence. What i said is not untrue. Your anecdotal evidence simply does not falsify mine either.

The reason i wrote that is the users i pinged specifically wrote something that could be interpreted as "just think of this as some impromptu exposure therapy" which is potentially harmful medical advice. 1, Everyone's phobia and anxieties are different, the same route and treatment may work for you but not for others. 2, If you know nothing about the current consensus on how to properly conduct exposure therapy, and you do it on yourself anyway, you can do harm to yourself. Advising someone to do therapy on themselves instead of turning to a professional can be potentially harmful. It's great that it didn't backfire for you but it absolutely can backfire, as i said it did for me, and if it did for me, it can do so for others. Although i would propose that what you did wasn't exposure therapy. Therapy implies deliberation and planning.

And by the way giving medical advice on these forums other than "seek professional help" is prohibited iirc anyway.

The problem is conflating "deal with your fears, as they come, on your own, like a functional adult" with "exposure therapy". Exposure therapy involves subjecting the sufferer to increasing amounts of the offending stimuli in a safe and controlled manner. If you don't know how to do that, you effectively blast yourself with an amount of stimuli you can't cope with.
@Sijax What you have there is anecdotal evidence. What i said is not untrue. Your anecdotal evidence simply does not falsify mine either.

The reason i wrote that is the users i pinged specifically wrote something that could be interpreted as "just think of this as some impromptu exposure therapy" which is potentially harmful medical advice. 1, Everyone's phobia and anxieties are different, the same route and treatment may work for you but not for others. 2, If you know nothing about the current consensus on how to properly conduct exposure therapy, and you do it on yourself anyway, you can do harm to yourself. Advising someone to do therapy on themselves instead of turning to a professional can be potentially harmful. It's great that it didn't backfire for you but it absolutely can backfire, as i said it did for me, and if it did for me, it can do so for others. Although i would propose that what you did wasn't exposure therapy. Therapy implies deliberation and planning.

And by the way giving medical advice on these forums other than "seek professional help" is prohibited iirc anyway.

The problem is conflating "deal with your fears, as they come, on your own, like a functional adult" with "exposure therapy". Exposure therapy involves subjecting the sufferer to increasing amounts of the offending stimuli in a safe and controlled manner. If you don't know how to do that, you effectively blast yourself with an amount of stimuli you can't cope with.
sig_02_by_whiteraven90-dbm43xs.png
sig_04_by_whiteraven90-dbm43xq.pngsig_05_by_whiteraven90-dbm43y8.pngsig_06_by_whiteraven90-dbm43y6.png
sig_07_by_whiteraven90-dbm43y3.pngsig_08_by_whiteraven90-dbm43xz.pngsig_09_by_whiteraven90-dbm43xx.png
sig_10_by_whiteraven90-dbm43xw.png
I think that need for a toggle will be largely alleviated by the vial of common sight. The scrying workshop complaint... A workaround could be "cover the spot with the dragon with your hand/a sticky note/paper until you've read the eye type, then change it if needed, then look at the dragon. No toggle needed.
I think that need for a toggle will be largely alleviated by the vial of common sight. The scrying workshop complaint... A workaround could be "cover the spot with the dragon with your hand/a sticky note/paper until you've read the eye type, then change it if needed, then look at the dragon. No toggle needed.
wq9PoXA.png
Yes, thank you BlueJay. I think people are basically missing the major point in that a workaround for your own lair is already in the works, and pretty much all other instances can be easily avoided. If it really bothers you that much, then dont breed until the vial of common sight is introduced.
Yes, thank you BlueJay. I think people are basically missing the major point in that a workaround for your own lair is already in the works, and pretty much all other instances can be easily avoided. If it really bothers you that much, then dont breed until the vial of common sight is introduced.
#UnnamedIsValid
Unnamed dragons need love too! There is no shame in having unnamed permas, having dragons with unnamed parents and/or offspring, or exalting unnamed dragons! Leaving dragons unnamed is a perfectly valid playstyle!

she/her or they/them
Whereas I can fortunately speak from a position where these things don't affect me, I think a good solution would be to give each account a settings-option on if they wan't to hide the eyes.

You only notice the change when you're logged in on an account which has these things hidden.
Other players won't be affected at all.
Whereas I can fortunately speak from a position where these things don't affect me, I think a good solution would be to give each account a settings-option on if they wan't to hide the eyes.

You only notice the change when you're logged in on an account which has these things hidden.
Other players won't be affected at all.
fr_hatchery_button_small_by_naahva-dch05rf.png
[ Yoshi ]
[ +9h FR time ]
[ ger | eng | jpn ]
[ he / him ]
[ Language Learning Hub ]
naturef1.png
[quote name="Luthyx" date="2018-06-12 12:09:08" ] [img]http://i.imgur.com/L5Nllxk.png[/img] [font=times new roman][size=5][color=#4d1f00]I[/color][/size][size=4][color=#803300] don't really think that any items should be hidden, to be perfectly honest. It would undermine all of the other things that have stayed visible that make some people uncomfortable, so at this point it seems a little moot to hide one thing while all sorts of body horror accents and whatnot remain on the site. If you don't like looking at something, then you can just leave the page or look elsewhere. [/quote] This. 100%. If we started hiding everything that could possibly trigger someone, we'd have to close the site.
Luthyx wrote on 2018-06-12 12:09:08:
L5Nllxk.png
I don't really think that any items should be hidden, to be perfectly honest. It would undermine all of the other things that have stayed visible that make some people uncomfortable, so at this point it seems a little moot to hide one thing while all sorts of body horror accents and whatnot remain on the site. If you don't like looking at something, then you can just leave the page or look elsewhere.

This. 100%. If we started hiding everything that could possibly trigger someone, we'd have to close the site.
lGriifT.png
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10