Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | hiding multigaze and primal??
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
I really have an issue with Plague primal because it's so viscerally disgusting. I don't have trypophobia. I'm not easily grossed out by body horror or eye trauma. I am STILL repulsed by the sheer cheap shock value of Plague primal. It's unnecessary. It's basically fatty, greasy, bloody tissue with infected pustles poking through. It doesn't look like eyes. It doesn't look appealing, even with the Plague "aesthetic". It's gross. I don't come onto FR for copious body horror. Shadow, multi-gaze, etc, are just fine because they're creepy, but not so blatantly gorey, but Plague primal crosses a line.

See, it's not that bad for me. I don't have any trauma, phobias, etc surrounding body horror like Plague primal, but I still instinctually recoiled and my stomach clenched a little when I first saw it. If I, as someone who loves horror and enjoys Junji Ito (famous body horror artist) have a reaction to Plague primal, imagine what it's like for someone who has a phobia or is sensitive to gore?

I understand that FR is a PG/PG-13 site and I respect and enjoy that, but gore skins and dark lore are things that can be easily sidestepped and avoided, whereas something like this is already everywhere as a now-integral part of the game. That just doesn't strike me as fair.

To those of you saying that people who are grossed/creeped out by Plague primal are "snowflakes", "weak", "childish", "wimpy", "oversensitive", or anything of the sort, please take a step back and evaluate your choices. People have phobias, irrational fears, etc and it's not their fault. I know that tailoring a game like this to suit the mental health and enjoyment of a target percentage of the userbase is not realistic. My anxiety is triggered really easily by loud, screechy noises (fork scraping on plate, metal-legged chair being scraped across the floor, baby screeching, etc) and I understand that it's my job to manage that. If there's a baby shrieking on the bus near me, I put in my earbuds or move. BUT, this is so far (to the best of my knowledge) a really welcoming, accessible community and I think that adding an integral design as shockingly gorey as this one is a step AWAY from that. It's concerning.

I think body horror is interesting and really enjoyably creepy when pulled off well, so it's not that I take a huge issue with that, but this just doesn't have a place on FR. It's disgusting, unnecessary and feels really out of place. There are lots of other ways the Plague primal design could have gone that wouldn't have alienated a large percentage of the userbase and while I respect the staff's and artists' descisions, this feels like a big step in the wrong direction and just does not seem okay.
I really have an issue with Plague primal because it's so viscerally disgusting. I don't have trypophobia. I'm not easily grossed out by body horror or eye trauma. I am STILL repulsed by the sheer cheap shock value of Plague primal. It's unnecessary. It's basically fatty, greasy, bloody tissue with infected pustles poking through. It doesn't look like eyes. It doesn't look appealing, even with the Plague "aesthetic". It's gross. I don't come onto FR for copious body horror. Shadow, multi-gaze, etc, are just fine because they're creepy, but not so blatantly gorey, but Plague primal crosses a line.

See, it's not that bad for me. I don't have any trauma, phobias, etc surrounding body horror like Plague primal, but I still instinctually recoiled and my stomach clenched a little when I first saw it. If I, as someone who loves horror and enjoys Junji Ito (famous body horror artist) have a reaction to Plague primal, imagine what it's like for someone who has a phobia or is sensitive to gore?

I understand that FR is a PG/PG-13 site and I respect and enjoy that, but gore skins and dark lore are things that can be easily sidestepped and avoided, whereas something like this is already everywhere as a now-integral part of the game. That just doesn't strike me as fair.

To those of you saying that people who are grossed/creeped out by Plague primal are "snowflakes", "weak", "childish", "wimpy", "oversensitive", or anything of the sort, please take a step back and evaluate your choices. People have phobias, irrational fears, etc and it's not their fault. I know that tailoring a game like this to suit the mental health and enjoyment of a target percentage of the userbase is not realistic. My anxiety is triggered really easily by loud, screechy noises (fork scraping on plate, metal-legged chair being scraped across the floor, baby screeching, etc) and I understand that it's my job to manage that. If there's a baby shrieking on the bus near me, I put in my earbuds or move. BUT, this is so far (to the best of my knowledge) a really welcoming, accessible community and I think that adding an integral design as shockingly gorey as this one is a step AWAY from that. It's concerning.

I think body horror is interesting and really enjoyably creepy when pulled off well, so it's not that I take a huge issue with that, but this just doesn't have a place on FR. It's disgusting, unnecessary and feels really out of place. There are lots of other ways the Plague primal design could have gone that wouldn't have alienated a large percentage of the userbase and while I respect the staff's and artists' descisions, this feels like a big step in the wrong direction and just does not seem okay.
Interested in Lore?
Come to the Silent Crow Outpost & Inn

Got a traveler to send through the Tangled Wood? Want to do business with the best of the worst? Maybe your ambassador just wants a fling and a new story in their bio? Look no further.
I'm always interested in lore exchanges and lore connections. I often sell lore dragons and will write custom bios if bribed lightly.
I'm another user with weird triggers, and I'll add my voice to the chorus of people like me saying that FR should not cater to our demographic by adding special toggles.

It's up to me (and to every individual person) to manage their own mental health. Sometimes that means that a handful of people won't be able to play FR anymore bc they're triggered by leopard print, or spiders, or cartoon eyes. That sucks for that handful of people who have extreme unmanaged phobias, but FR is a business and needs to focus their development efforts on pleasing the widest range of players possible.

It's unrealistic and self-centered to expect the devs to invest time and money into developing special toggles to cater to one microscopic subset of players.

What about players who are stressed out by exalting? Should devs develop and exalt-free version of FR? What about people who get triggered posting on forums? What about people who get migraines from bright colors or small text? What about people who can't use the coli? .... and so on. Players with special needs have to manage those needs on their own or else look for other activities that suit their needs. Not every game suits every player.
I'm another user with weird triggers, and I'll add my voice to the chorus of people like me saying that FR should not cater to our demographic by adding special toggles.

It's up to me (and to every individual person) to manage their own mental health. Sometimes that means that a handful of people won't be able to play FR anymore bc they're triggered by leopard print, or spiders, or cartoon eyes. That sucks for that handful of people who have extreme unmanaged phobias, but FR is a business and needs to focus their development efforts on pleasing the widest range of players possible.

It's unrealistic and self-centered to expect the devs to invest time and money into developing special toggles to cater to one microscopic subset of players.

What about players who are stressed out by exalting? Should devs develop and exalt-free version of FR? What about people who get triggered posting on forums? What about people who get migraines from bright colors or small text? What about people who can't use the coli? .... and so on. Players with special needs have to manage those needs on their own or else look for other activities that suit their needs. Not every game suits every player.
OVI5Wp2.gif
I feel like I have made some angry, or just really oversimplified coments on some of these topics that don’t really add anything to the discussion, my first on on this thread included.
But I think this thread is going in a good direction, and has some good discussion on it. And I am also going to agree with the sentiment that it is the responsibility of the person with the trigger to manage it, if that is leaving the site or learning to deal with it. I don’t think major changes to many people’s gameplay (multigaze being removed entirely or made so you must purchase it for any dragon you want it on) should be made because they don’t ever want to encounter those things, and think ensuring that is other people’s responsibility.

If the staff manages to make a toggle, then that would be amazing. But, with a very basic idea of both coding and what would be a good business decision, I don’t think it will actually be done, if it is even possible in the first place.
I feel like I have made some angry, or just really oversimplified coments on some of these topics that don’t really add anything to the discussion, my first on on this thread included.
But I think this thread is going in a good direction, and has some good discussion on it. And I am also going to agree with the sentiment that it is the responsibility of the person with the trigger to manage it, if that is leaving the site or learning to deal with it. I don’t think major changes to many people’s gameplay (multigaze being removed entirely or made so you must purchase it for any dragon you want it on) should be made because they don’t ever want to encounter those things, and think ensuring that is other people’s responsibility.

If the staff manages to make a toggle, then that would be amazing. But, with a very basic idea of both coding and what would be a good business decision, I don’t think it will actually be done, if it is even possible in the first place.
I hope you're having a great day•buy the pretty dragon
I've seen more disgusting things on the side of the street than any of the new eye effects...the designs are comparable to Steven Universe's style which is really tame. People are entitled to their feelings and opinions but when we get into media, and games (yes, including online dragon breeding sites) catering to every whim of its fanbase/users, we get into tricky territory. The fans do not own the product.
I've seen more disgusting things on the side of the street than any of the new eye effects...the designs are comparable to Steven Universe's style which is really tame. People are entitled to their feelings and opinions but when we get into media, and games (yes, including online dragon breeding sites) catering to every whim of its fanbase/users, we get into tricky territory. The fans do not own the product.
There are already a bunch of different accents/skins that have multiple eyes. Hell, Mirrors have an extra pair of eyes. So I really don't get why people are reacting so poorly to Multi-Gaze.

I also agree in that I don't think the site should cater to people's phobias; at that point you might as well censor half the site. Should we remove the Butterfly gene because some people are afraid of butterflies? Or get rid of the cat apparel because someone is scared of cats?

I understand that some people are irrationally scared of certain things and that's fine. But don't expect the world to bend to that.
There are already a bunch of different accents/skins that have multiple eyes. Hell, Mirrors have an extra pair of eyes. So I really don't get why people are reacting so poorly to Multi-Gaze.

I also agree in that I don't think the site should cater to people's phobias; at that point you might as well censor half the site. Should we remove the Butterfly gene because some people are afraid of butterflies? Or get rid of the cat apparel because someone is scared of cats?

I understand that some people are irrationally scared of certain things and that's fine. But don't expect the world to bend to that.
ethanol_by_dislike_like-dbg3xow.png
If the eyes on this site are too much for players to handle then why are they here?
I don't want to tell people not to play because that's not fair and I don't really feel that way.
But what I mean is, there are already things like those eyes or worse in the game. -The plague theme in general is probably disturbing to some. Just look at the vista.
-Or as some have mentioned, skins.
-What about certain genes.
-Or some apparel
I'm sure there are other things i've missed.

There will always be something that sets someone's phobia off. If you want the ability to hide one thing for a few people, than you need to make it fair to everyone by giving us the ability to hide each thing individually. You can't cater to one phobia without catering to them all. It's unfair otherwise.
And asking the staff to take on such a task is not fair to them because honestly, it's not necessary.

You cannot avoid things in this game because you cannot control what other people do with their dragons.
Unless you avoid the front page, auction house, lairs of other players, scrying workshop and forums, you are bound to see something at some point that disturbs you.
If you have a phobia that is present in a game, than it's up to you to decide whether or not to avoid playing a game that would severely affect your mental health. You know your phobia. It's your job to handle it or the job of your guardian. Flight rising is not here just for you and your phobia nor is it in any way responsible for anything that happens to you because of your phobia.

Arguing that you didn't know these things would be here is not a good argument.
As far as disturbing things go:
The coliseum is a big part of this game and it involves slaughtering other creatures.
One of the flights is called, 'plague'. Plagues are never pretty.
If you read the Code of Conduct when you sign up you would see, "Any reference to violence or injury must be in line with existing Flight Rising lore."

There are things here to tip you off(at the start) that this game isn't rainbows and unicorns. With everything this game has to offer, it wouldn't take long to find and realize that something here may set off your phobia.

Hatching a flights primal won't happen unless you are in that flight.
I mean, if the eyes set off your phobia then get out of whatever flight you are part of because the whole theme would set you off. In which case, what are you doing in that flight. Beside that, there are ways to avoid hatching a primal. There are plenty of other players willing to lend nests. You could even find other players of your flight who don't mind the eyes and have them breed and hatch the nest for you. See? There are ways around this.
If the eyes on this site are too much for players to handle then why are they here?
I don't want to tell people not to play because that's not fair and I don't really feel that way.
But what I mean is, there are already things like those eyes or worse in the game. -The plague theme in general is probably disturbing to some. Just look at the vista.
-Or as some have mentioned, skins.
-What about certain genes.
-Or some apparel
I'm sure there are other things i've missed.

There will always be something that sets someone's phobia off. If you want the ability to hide one thing for a few people, than you need to make it fair to everyone by giving us the ability to hide each thing individually. You can't cater to one phobia without catering to them all. It's unfair otherwise.
And asking the staff to take on such a task is not fair to them because honestly, it's not necessary.

You cannot avoid things in this game because you cannot control what other people do with their dragons.
Unless you avoid the front page, auction house, lairs of other players, scrying workshop and forums, you are bound to see something at some point that disturbs you.
If you have a phobia that is present in a game, than it's up to you to decide whether or not to avoid playing a game that would severely affect your mental health. You know your phobia. It's your job to handle it or the job of your guardian. Flight rising is not here just for you and your phobia nor is it in any way responsible for anything that happens to you because of your phobia.

Arguing that you didn't know these things would be here is not a good argument.
As far as disturbing things go:
The coliseum is a big part of this game and it involves slaughtering other creatures.
One of the flights is called, 'plague'. Plagues are never pretty.
If you read the Code of Conduct when you sign up you would see, "Any reference to violence or injury must be in line with existing Flight Rising lore."

There are things here to tip you off(at the start) that this game isn't rainbows and unicorns. With everything this game has to offer, it wouldn't take long to find and realize that something here may set off your phobia.

Hatching a flights primal won't happen unless you are in that flight.
I mean, if the eyes set off your phobia then get out of whatever flight you are part of because the whole theme would set you off. In which case, what are you doing in that flight. Beside that, there are ways to avoid hatching a primal. There are plenty of other players willing to lend nests. You could even find other players of your flight who don't mind the eyes and have them breed and hatch the nest for you. See? There are ways around this.
4d083627cc9bab7f6856fb886f6e9d0ed6ca02a0.png
I'm always sort of shocked by the outcry whenever a feature like this is implemented, flight rising has always had horror aspects and disturbing graphics hasn't it? So what's the problem with things like this?
I'm always sort of shocked by the outcry whenever a feature like this is implemented, flight rising has always had horror aspects and disturbing graphics hasn't it? So what's the problem with things like this?
Look. I have a massive phobia of fire. Like, can’t even watch a fire on tv without flinching/looking away. But I do not think the eyes need a toggle. Why? Because if we censor one thing what’s to stop people from asking for toggles for EVERYTHING.Exposure therapy is one of the few things proven to help with phobias. Not avoidance that just makes it worse! The eyes are so cartoony they don’t even look vaguely realistic, I don’t see how they trigger anything. On top of all that trypophobia is NOTrecognized by science.
(Edit)Additionally I have to agree. If your dislike of the eyes is causing you as much distress as you are making it out to. DON’T PLAY it might sound harsh but it’s not other people’s job to manage your mental health. The fact this game has a flight called plague.Plaguemum is covered in boils and such. This sight has had things like the multi gaze and worse since the beginning. Why is it such an issue now.
Look. I have a massive phobia of fire. Like, can’t even watch a fire on tv without flinching/looking away. But I do not think the eyes need a toggle. Why? Because if we censor one thing what’s to stop people from asking for toggles for EVERYTHING.Exposure therapy is one of the few things proven to help with phobias. Not avoidance that just makes it worse! The eyes are so cartoony they don’t even look vaguely realistic, I don’t see how they trigger anything. On top of all that trypophobia is NOTrecognized by science.
(Edit)Additionally I have to agree. If your dislike of the eyes is causing you as much distress as you are making it out to. DON’T PLAY it might sound harsh but it’s not other people’s job to manage your mental health. The fact this game has a flight called plague.Plaguemum is covered in boils and such. This sight has had things like the multi gaze and worse since the beginning. Why is it such an issue now.
JKDjx25.png xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxStarshrikes
I think a toggle is wildly unlikely and 90% of users calling for one would cope fine without it, but I am really glad staff are implementing a revert-to-common feature because I do think it's super important to give users control over things that disturb them in their own lair without them having to exalt otherwise perfect hatches.
I think a toggle is wildly unlikely and 90% of users calling for one would cope fine without it, but I am really glad staff are implementing a revert-to-common feature because I do think it's super important to give users control over things that disturb them in their own lair without them having to exalt otherwise perfect hatches.
5917.pngtumblr_opq1fv62h41u3wsjco7_100.pngtumblr_inline_nsthp2ksAe1s23g03_540.pngVkRusUJ.png8095.png
I have a huge fear for water, almost drowned when was younger during a simple day at the beach. Big waves and deep waters just scare me but that doesnt mean i gonna throw a fit about a water flight or anything that has to do with waves. I really enjoy waves and seas on artwork or cartoons, irl things are a lot worse to look at.
(I even play Sea of Thieves, you know a game that is like 90% ocean and scary storms. You just cannot complain to the developers that you fear something and want it gone)
That aside, dont see what is wrong with Multigaze and Primal, loving them both and strange enough Plague primal is sure my favorite! Agree that 'hiding' it is silly and uncalled for, there are many accents and skins that has multi eyes (I made some myself) dead looking or goop tears.

I have a huge fear for water, almost drowned when was younger during a simple day at the beach. Big waves and deep waters just scare me but that doesnt mean i gonna throw a fit about a water flight or anything that has to do with waves. I really enjoy waves and seas on artwork or cartoons, irl things are a lot worse to look at.
(I even play Sea of Thieves, you know a game that is like 90% ocean and scary storms. You just cannot complain to the developers that you fear something and want it gone)
That aside, dont see what is wrong with Multigaze and Primal, loving them both and strange enough Plague primal is sure my favorite! Agree that 'hiding' it is silly and uncalled for, there are many accents and skins that has multi eyes (I made some myself) dead looking or goop tears.

6WUYXR5.png Etna (FR+9)
She/They
Likes to make sprites
Gen 1 lair
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10