Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Tone Tags anyone?
1 2 3 4 5
I know what most mean but I don’t personally use them by default unless someone specifically asks me to
I know what most mean but I don’t personally use them by default unless someone specifically asks me to
CDZsGNI.pngyEMmEQl.png 88123317.png
i am nd and don't like tone tags. for one, the meaning of many of them just doesn't compute to me. what is the world is "half-joking"? you're either joking or you aren't. i've seen people interchangeably use /s to mean serious or sarcastic, so i can't rely on that tag at all to mean anything. and i've seen people take advantage of the /j tag to just say nasty things and then hide behind "but it was a joke!!"

if i feel the need to clarify my tone, i'll just do it using a full word. i'll amend whatever i wrote with [joking] or [genuine question] to make it clear without using an abbreviation that not everyone knows. but i only do that when i'm really worried that whatever i wrote is going to get misconstrued.

and yes, to older people "pos" just oftentimes doesn't read as "positive", it's an acronym for a very rude thing to call someone, so i really don't like using that tag either.

edit: and now this is one of those times where i'm worried what i wrote will get misconstrued as being rude T_T to clarify, i don't have anything against people who use tone tags. what i don't like is the misuse of the tags that have made me unable to rely on them at all
i am nd and don't like tone tags. for one, the meaning of many of them just doesn't compute to me. what is the world is "half-joking"? you're either joking or you aren't. i've seen people interchangeably use /s to mean serious or sarcastic, so i can't rely on that tag at all to mean anything. and i've seen people take advantage of the /j tag to just say nasty things and then hide behind "but it was a joke!!"

if i feel the need to clarify my tone, i'll just do it using a full word. i'll amend whatever i wrote with [joking] or [genuine question] to make it clear without using an abbreviation that not everyone knows. but i only do that when i'm really worried that whatever i wrote is going to get misconstrued.

and yes, to older people "pos" just oftentimes doesn't read as "positive", it's an acronym for a very rude thing to call someone, so i really don't like using that tag either.

edit: and now this is one of those times where i'm worried what i wrote will get misconstrued as being rude T_T to clarify, i don't have anything against people who use tone tags. what i don't like is the misuse of the tags that have made me unable to rely on them at all
g7boK5H.pngZ56llRE.pngnmpR0ff.png
I don't use them except for really ambiguous statements, and when I do, it's textually stated or in full word form, because making people memorize acronyms to get the meaning of what you're saying is the opposite of accessible.
I don't use them except for really ambiguous statements, and when I do, it's textually stated or in full word form, because making people memorize acronyms to get the meaning of what you're saying is the opposite of accessible.
The Enforcer - they/themAboutArtFree IconsAvatar DragonNeocitiesWishlistA pixelated animation of a teal Mirror dragon wearing a blue and purple hood. They blink and then a heart appears in a speech balloon before filling with dark liquid and fading to black.
I don't use them and I don't like them. The only one I will use is /sarcastic (and I type that out fully). Everything else, I will reread my writing to ensure it comes across how I want to. I have more to say but it just adds up to they REALLY annoy me.

I'm young by adult standards but the use of tone tags and general today slang makes me feel old, haha.
I don't use them and I don't like them. The only one I will use is /sarcastic (and I type that out fully). Everything else, I will reread my writing to ensure it comes across how I want to. I have more to say but it just adds up to they REALLY annoy me.

I'm young by adult standards but the use of tone tags and general today slang makes me feel old, haha.
51983.png G1 Unbred LVL 25 (all stones) Gold/Fuschia/Fuschia - 2kg!

Characters for sale - 25% off

Buying adult fodder - 6kT per dragon + 5kT for unfed adults
I'm also neurodivergent and tone tags confuse me personally

the only ones I understand are /j, /srs, and /pos and I hardly ever use those unless I think it's really neccesary to get my point across. usually I think its clear what the tone is and if I don't I'll usually just write out like "(this is a joke)"

me and my friends completely screwed up the meaning of tone tags so we can't use them around each other for the actual reason they're supposed to be used. a lotta the time when we say a VERY obvious joke we'll add /srs to the end to make it more stupid. for example...

"we should do (insert very cursed ship) rp /srs"

btw we don't do this around other people cause it'd be confusing as heck lol

I'm also neurodivergent and tone tags confuse me personally

the only ones I understand are /j, /srs, and /pos and I hardly ever use those unless I think it's really neccesary to get my point across. usually I think its clear what the tone is and if I don't I'll usually just write out like "(this is a joke)"

me and my friends completely screwed up the meaning of tone tags so we can't use them around each other for the actual reason they're supposed to be used. a lotta the time when we say a VERY obvious joke we'll add /srs to the end to make it more stupid. for example...

"we should do (insert very cursed ship) rp /srs"

btw we don't do this around other people cause it'd be confusing as heck lol

output-onlinegiftools.gif hZipXGO.png rix3ppo.png
YMPbu9R.png
4WPArK6.png
[quote name="xCelestialWitch" date="2024-04-30 16:25:41" ] i find that when people add /pos or /gen to the end of a statement, it rubs me the wrong way because now i'm asking myself, "how could this have been interpreted negatively? why would this statement be used negatively? should i be suspicious now that this person might have actually been saying this sarcastically?" it feels... disingenuous in a way? because i usually see it at the end of a statement that could only possibly be interpreted positively. [/quote] you get it. You understand. i saw this exact thing [i]very[/i] frequently in an old server i was in one time i saw someone use /pos for a happy crying emote there and like. Huh? it says happycry? in the emote's name? why do you need a tone tag the other person can just? check the emote? and even if they can't tell you can just say "oh it was meant to be positive!! sorry ^^" it's that easy personally i sometimes use tone tags if i'm worried about my message being misinterpreted (which is more often than you think, lol). i limit myself to /lh for the most part though, and the immortal /silly, which i personally find better to understand than a /j i'm also fine with people using tone tags, unless they're spammed in every other message, in which case it gets a tad bit annoying. and also see the above case. sometimes what you're saying has a much more obvious tone than you think, you don't have to tag a compliment with /pos /gen (another thing i saw from said server)
xCelestialWitch wrote on 2024-04-30 16:25:41:
i find that when people add /pos or /gen to the end of a statement, it rubs me the wrong way because now i'm asking myself, "how could this have been interpreted negatively? why would this statement be used negatively? should i be suspicious now that this person might have actually been saying this sarcastically?"

it feels... disingenuous in a way? because i usually see it at the end of a statement that could only possibly be interpreted positively.

you get it. You understand. i saw this exact thing very frequently in an old server i was in
one time i saw someone use /pos for a happy crying emote there and like. Huh? it says happycry? in the emote's name? why do you need a tone tag the other person can just? check the emote? and even if they can't tell you can just say "oh it was meant to be positive!! sorry ^^" it's that easy

personally i sometimes use tone tags if i'm worried about my message being misinterpreted (which is more often than you think, lol). i limit myself to /lh for the most part though, and the immortal /silly, which i personally find better to understand than a /j

i'm also fine with people using tone tags, unless they're spammed in every other message, in which case it gets a tad bit annoying. and also see the above case. sometimes what you're saying has a much more obvious tone than you think, you don't have to tag a compliment with /pos /gen (another thing i saw from said server)
I usually just use emoticons like ":D" if I'm happy/excited, or if I'm being sarcastic, I may load in overexaggerate words or "...", maybe add an emoticon (i.e: "Oh yeah, today has just been wonderful...[emoji=coatl deadpan size=1]" or "Man, I have been having so, so much luck grinding in the coliseum recently. Sooooo much..." However, if I'm talking with someone I know prefers tone tags or if I'm making a joke that I feel might be easily misinterpreted with other people, I might throw in one.
I usually just use emoticons like ":D" if I'm happy/excited, or if I'm being sarcastic, I may load in overexaggerate words or "...", maybe add an emoticon (i.e: "Oh yeah, today has just been wonderful..." or "Man, I have been having so, so much luck grinding in the coliseum recently. Sooooo much..."

However, if I'm talking with someone I know prefers tone tags or if I'm making a joke that I feel might be easily misinterpreted with other people, I might throw in one.
Clara the Blaziken, She/Her, 2+ Fr time, Professional Idiot :))))
I rarely use them because I'm ND, but also have a very poor memory. I have a hard enough time remembering actual words; please don't make me add acronyms/abbreviations to the mix.

Also, a bunch aren't nearly as unambiguous as they're supposed to be. /pos is one example, but I legitimately cannot read /gen as "genuine" - my mind immediately goes to "general" and I end up far more confused than I was originally.

TL;DR: They're great for people who find them helpful, but I just end up confused and frustrated. I wish I could use them better though.
I rarely use them because I'm ND, but also have a very poor memory. I have a hard enough time remembering actual words; please don't make me add acronyms/abbreviations to the mix.

Also, a bunch aren't nearly as unambiguous as they're supposed to be. /pos is one example, but I legitimately cannot read /gen as "genuine" - my mind immediately goes to "general" and I end up far more confused than I was originally.

TL;DR: They're great for people who find them helpful, but I just end up confused and frustrated. I wish I could use them better though.
_______
Pressed Moonflower

((They/Them)) ((Ve/Vir))
WINDTALE

Pressed Morning Glory
I dont' personalty use tone tags but one thing that bothers me is when people get mad about people using them, like they think they think they're stupid or something. no that's not it, people just want their message to be clear
I know many autistic people both don't have much empathy, and fear being misunderstood–I mean at least I do–so trying to alleviate that is important, but I understand the dislike of it, as I do find it's confusing, and I think a better alternative is to simply write out the meaning in brackets if I find my tone unclear
I dont' personalty use tone tags but one thing that bothers me is when people get mad about people using them, like they think they think they're stupid or something. no that's not it, people just want their message to be clear
I know many autistic people both don't have much empathy, and fear being misunderstood–I mean at least I do–so trying to alleviate that is important, but I understand the dislike of it, as I do find it's confusing, and I think a better alternative is to simply write out the meaning in brackets if I find my tone unclear
STRANGEFLESH
>It/It's
>friendly/open to chat! I love pings and messages
>wishlist
>lineage
>About me
tumblr-paypl0-G37c1xpxfk5o4-250.png
I use tone indicators and emojis quite often (less so on a public forum)
They just make me less stressed for whatever reason :p
I use tone indicators and emojis quite often (less so on a public forum)
They just make me less stressed for whatever reason :p
dsfdsf.png
freshly expired lizard
he/they | FR +4

» Art Shop
» Lore Dragons
» Dragon Sales
1 2 3 4 5