Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Speculative evolution, anyone?
1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 61 62
I made a scryfit for the sapient antlear in the new Serina update.
Woodcrafter

Also, has anyone seen u/Tribbetherium's pop-culture-reference creatures? They inject some levity into a genre that can sometimes get too uptight about plausibility and accuracy. I love them. Their flightless vampire bat is my favorite. If you know me, you'll know why.
I made a scryfit for the sapient antlear in the new Serina update.
Woodcrafter

Also, has anyone seen u/Tribbetherium's pop-culture-reference creatures? They inject some levity into a genre that can sometimes get too uptight about plausibility and accuracy. I love them. Their flightless vampire bat is my favorite. If you know me, you'll know why.
I7a1ndF.pngOxagJgG.pngWBC5JG3.pngwOEIAes.png
[img]https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=1&body=46&bodygene=21&breed=14&element=1&eyetype=3&gender=0&tert=97&tertgene=0&winggene=42&wings=46&auth=f9c8fa468f8ef7a76a9f3e6c56899b1ecf8336ba&dummyext=prev.png[/img] A scry for a new Serina creature just added today, the [url=https://sites.google.com/site/worldofserina/the-ultimocene-250-million-years/treeskinner]treeskinner[/url].
dragon?age=1&body=46&bodygene=21&breed=14&element=1&eyetype=3&gender=0&tert=97&tertgene=0&winggene=42&wings=46&auth=f9c8fa468f8ef7a76a9f3e6c56899b1ecf8336ba&dummyext=prev.png
A scry for a new Serina creature just added today, the treeskinner.
I used to be a little amateur speccer when I was younger. In middle school, I read Animorphs books and an obscure alien-xenofiction book called Star Hatchling from the school library and these inspired me to start designing my own aliens. A lot of the earlier ones were just weird for weirdness' sake:
  • Egnurians: Ripoff Andalites that were half lizardman, half big cat with maroon fur and yellow polka dots, in a centauroid arrangement. Even at age 11 or so I realized how unnatural this was and explained them as being artificially created as a servant race to the Ederels. These aliens, from which the Egnurians derived their reptilian top halves, were long-since extinct in whatever setting I used these guys in and had godlike technological capabilities.
  • Amamamamamamamamians: Rubbery blue balls covered in conical tentacles, some of which had mouths on the ends. High-tech species that somehow got along pretty well with humans.
  • Zastrons: One of many races I created that lived primitive, tribal lives. Despite their Flash Gordon-esque name, they were peaceful creatures that lived in the treetops on a jungle planet and ate mostly fruit. The "sharing fruit" which was peach-shaped but watermelon-sized, with a hard bright-red shell, and split perfectly in half when pulled apart by the... cheeks? held particular cultural significance. The Zastrons themselves somewhat resembled dragons, especially from the neck up, but with fleshy crests that changed color with their moods. They had patagia (gliding membranes) between their arms and legs), huge sloth-like claws (so they also walked on their knuckles like sloths), and prehensile tails as adaptations for their arboreal lives.
  • Katoptrids: Imp/lemur-like humanoids with brightly colored and striped fur, tufted tails, long ears, and retractable bone daggers that extend from above their wrists. Militaristic despite their cute appearance, and vain.

Others that I've revised somewhat over the years:
  • Neeks: Gracile bipeds that vaguely resemble dinosaurs, with long slender necks and (hoofed) legs, small heads, three-fingered hands, and small tail-clubs that they thwack against things as part of their long-distance communication. They evolved as cursorial savannah-dwellers, somewhat like humans but with a tendency more toward browsing. Very sociable toward the group(s) they're a part of but intensely skittish and distrustful of anyone from outside of it. While they're not very interesting to look at, with smooth hides of a uniform tan and a tendency toward austere colors in their clothing even now, Neeks have some interesting physiology. If they are in a group of other Neeks, be it a herd-tribe or a spaceship crew, for more than a few of their planet's days, some of them will change sex until there is an equal distribution of males and females. It is unknown how it is decided which individuals in the group will shift, but the mechanism is triggered by an imbalance between perceived male and female scents. If the scent of males is stronger than that of females, some of the males will become female as long as they are with that group.
    Spacefaring and part of a federation that also includes the Kilesku below. Demonym: Neekish.
  • Kilesku: Eight-legged aquatic reptiles that resemble a cross between a sea serpent and a crocodile. Females are more sociable than males, as every female that laid eggs on the shores of a particular island of their watery homeworld would band together to protect the shores of that island while males never returned to land after hatching. Modern Kilesku live in underwater, semi-flooded dome cities where they will work in close proximity to each other, but rarely in a closely cooperative manner (especially with males). They are promiscuous with no concept of marriage, but do copulate for pleasure. If a male and a female do so and the female is impregnated, she'll go to her city's Generation Facility, fill out some paperwork, and lay a clutch of 10-30 orange eggs into a slowly rotating incubation drum filled with heated sand. Once the eggs hatch, the highly precocial babies are taken to a "kindergarten" where they're given names and their education begins. Kilesku share tendencies toward boisterousness, hedonism, and curiosity about other species. In hindsight, I'm not sure how they would evolve into a high-tech species capable of space flight, especially since they wouldn't be able to smelt metal and nearly all highly intelligent species on Earth are intensely social. Demonym: Kalskaj.
  • Tanadar: Another multi-limbed species from a water world, but these are endemic to the largest of their planet's few islands (which is still only about the size of Oahu). Tanadar vaguely resemble gracile gorillas, but their fur is emerald-green with black speckles and they have four three-fingered arms. The aforementioned island is completely covered with a single autotrophic superorganism akin to a banyan grove, in whose branches this species lives, never touching the ground and seldom seeing the sky through the thick canopy. Life, thus, is very homogenous, with the most diversity being in insect-analogues that feed on different parts of the trees. What little vertebrate life there is evolved from the planet's "fish" that evolved to walk on land among the trunks, eating organic detritus, and eventually to climb. The Tanadar are the largest animals in their ecosystem and have no predators, so they're under little evolutionary pressure to get smarter and so barely qualify as sapient. Their lives are slow and contemplative of their green world. The family troop is their social unit.
  • Qrrls: Near-sophont creatures, as smart as crows or dolphins, that live in a grassland in the interior of a long, narrow landmass. The major clade of vertebrate life on their planet has only two limbs, which qrrls (named for the sounds pack members use to greet each other with) use to pursue small prey. They also vaguely resemble theropod dinosaurs, but with longer necks. Their bodies are mostly covered with tawny yellow scales to blend in with dry grasses, but they sport two lnes of red-and-white-striped quills extending from the crowns of their heads to the tips of their tails, which are raised and lowered to communicate visually. Packs are nomadic and all members lay their eggs in a massive communal nest, so that so many young hatch at once that predators can't eat all of them. Young qrrls stay in their natal creches until they approach sexual maturity and disperse by sex. Females from one creche will pair off with the males from another creche and vice versa, and a new pack is formed.

And finally... my babies. Kodj are short (4-5ft tall), amphibian-like, cave-dwelling humanoids with proportionally short legs, long arms, and their most distinctive feature: long tails carried in an arc over their heads and terminating in a blade like a steak knife. They evolved from cavefish analogues that ate chemotrophic biofilms and small organisms on the bottoms of cave pools and learned to lunge out of the water to catch passing microfauna. From there they evolved fins into limbs, strong tails to aid in lunge propulsion, and so on and so forth. Kodj retain a vaguely amphibian-like life cycle. A female gives birth to a single tadpole resembling the ancestral cavefish in her tribe's natal pond. It eats whatever is in there and bits of food the parents throw in and grows rapidly until it starts secreting mucus. The odor of the mucus stimulates the tadpole to spin around and around, drawing the strands around itself, until it's enveloped. The mucus hardens into a rubbery material on contact with air, so the tribe leader ritualistically lifts the glob-containing-the-offspring out of the natal pond to make it a cocoon. The cocoon is placed on a special shelf in the natal cave while the tadpole metamorphoses into a child Kodj inside. When it is complete, the child slashes the cocoon open with their tail blade and is welcomed as a new member of the tribe. To feed, Kodj emerge from their cool, damp caves and quickly gather anything edible from the rocky desert outside before their skin dries out or they're seen by predators, of which there are many.
I used to be a little amateur speccer when I was younger. In middle school, I read Animorphs books and an obscure alien-xenofiction book called Star Hatchling from the school library and these inspired me to start designing my own aliens. A lot of the earlier ones were just weird for weirdness' sake:
  • Egnurians: Ripoff Andalites that were half lizardman, half big cat with maroon fur and yellow polka dots, in a centauroid arrangement. Even at age 11 or so I realized how unnatural this was and explained them as being artificially created as a servant race to the Ederels. These aliens, from which the Egnurians derived their reptilian top halves, were long-since extinct in whatever setting I used these guys in and had godlike technological capabilities.
  • Amamamamamamamamians: Rubbery blue balls covered in conical tentacles, some of which had mouths on the ends. High-tech species that somehow got along pretty well with humans.
  • Zastrons: One of many races I created that lived primitive, tribal lives. Despite their Flash Gordon-esque name, they were peaceful creatures that lived in the treetops on a jungle planet and ate mostly fruit. The "sharing fruit" which was peach-shaped but watermelon-sized, with a hard bright-red shell, and split perfectly in half when pulled apart by the... cheeks? held particular cultural significance. The Zastrons themselves somewhat resembled dragons, especially from the neck up, but with fleshy crests that changed color with their moods. They had patagia (gliding membranes) between their arms and legs), huge sloth-like claws (so they also walked on their knuckles like sloths), and prehensile tails as adaptations for their arboreal lives.
  • Katoptrids: Imp/lemur-like humanoids with brightly colored and striped fur, tufted tails, long ears, and retractable bone daggers that extend from above their wrists. Militaristic despite their cute appearance, and vain.

Others that I've revised somewhat over the years:
  • Neeks: Gracile bipeds that vaguely resemble dinosaurs, with long slender necks and (hoofed) legs, small heads, three-fingered hands, and small tail-clubs that they thwack against things as part of their long-distance communication. They evolved as cursorial savannah-dwellers, somewhat like humans but with a tendency more toward browsing. Very sociable toward the group(s) they're a part of but intensely skittish and distrustful of anyone from outside of it. While they're not very interesting to look at, with smooth hides of a uniform tan and a tendency toward austere colors in their clothing even now, Neeks have some interesting physiology. If they are in a group of other Neeks, be it a herd-tribe or a spaceship crew, for more than a few of their planet's days, some of them will change sex until there is an equal distribution of males and females. It is unknown how it is decided which individuals in the group will shift, but the mechanism is triggered by an imbalance between perceived male and female scents. If the scent of males is stronger than that of females, some of the males will become female as long as they are with that group.
    Spacefaring and part of a federation that also includes the Kilesku below. Demonym: Neekish.
  • Kilesku: Eight-legged aquatic reptiles that resemble a cross between a sea serpent and a crocodile. Females are more sociable than males, as every female that laid eggs on the shores of a particular island of their watery homeworld would band together to protect the shores of that island while males never returned to land after hatching. Modern Kilesku live in underwater, semi-flooded dome cities where they will work in close proximity to each other, but rarely in a closely cooperative manner (especially with males). They are promiscuous with no concept of marriage, but do copulate for pleasure. If a male and a female do so and the female is impregnated, she'll go to her city's Generation Facility, fill out some paperwork, and lay a clutch of 10-30 orange eggs into a slowly rotating incubation drum filled with heated sand. Once the eggs hatch, the highly precocial babies are taken to a "kindergarten" where they're given names and their education begins. Kilesku share tendencies toward boisterousness, hedonism, and curiosity about other species. In hindsight, I'm not sure how they would evolve into a high-tech species capable of space flight, especially since they wouldn't be able to smelt metal and nearly all highly intelligent species on Earth are intensely social. Demonym: Kalskaj.
  • Tanadar: Another multi-limbed species from a water world, but these are endemic to the largest of their planet's few islands (which is still only about the size of Oahu). Tanadar vaguely resemble gracile gorillas, but their fur is emerald-green with black speckles and they have four three-fingered arms. The aforementioned island is completely covered with a single autotrophic superorganism akin to a banyan grove, in whose branches this species lives, never touching the ground and seldom seeing the sky through the thick canopy. Life, thus, is very homogenous, with the most diversity being in insect-analogues that feed on different parts of the trees. What little vertebrate life there is evolved from the planet's "fish" that evolved to walk on land among the trunks, eating organic detritus, and eventually to climb. The Tanadar are the largest animals in their ecosystem and have no predators, so they're under little evolutionary pressure to get smarter and so barely qualify as sapient. Their lives are slow and contemplative of their green world. The family troop is their social unit.
  • Qrrls: Near-sophont creatures, as smart as crows or dolphins, that live in a grassland in the interior of a long, narrow landmass. The major clade of vertebrate life on their planet has only two limbs, which qrrls (named for the sounds pack members use to greet each other with) use to pursue small prey. They also vaguely resemble theropod dinosaurs, but with longer necks. Their bodies are mostly covered with tawny yellow scales to blend in with dry grasses, but they sport two lnes of red-and-white-striped quills extending from the crowns of their heads to the tips of their tails, which are raised and lowered to communicate visually. Packs are nomadic and all members lay their eggs in a massive communal nest, so that so many young hatch at once that predators can't eat all of them. Young qrrls stay in their natal creches until they approach sexual maturity and disperse by sex. Females from one creche will pair off with the males from another creche and vice versa, and a new pack is formed.

And finally... my babies. Kodj are short (4-5ft tall), amphibian-like, cave-dwelling humanoids with proportionally short legs, long arms, and their most distinctive feature: long tails carried in an arc over their heads and terminating in a blade like a steak knife. They evolved from cavefish analogues that ate chemotrophic biofilms and small organisms on the bottoms of cave pools and learned to lunge out of the water to catch passing microfauna. From there they evolved fins into limbs, strong tails to aid in lunge propulsion, and so on and so forth. Kodj retain a vaguely amphibian-like life cycle. A female gives birth to a single tadpole resembling the ancestral cavefish in her tribe's natal pond. It eats whatever is in there and bits of food the parents throw in and grows rapidly until it starts secreting mucus. The odor of the mucus stimulates the tadpole to spin around and around, drawing the strands around itself, until it's enveloped. The mucus hardens into a rubbery material on contact with air, so the tribe leader ritualistically lifts the glob-containing-the-offspring out of the natal pond to make it a cocoon. The cocoon is placed on a special shelf in the natal cave while the tadpole metamorphoses into a child Kodj inside. When it is complete, the child slashes the cocoon open with their tail blade and is welcomed as a new member of the tribe. To feed, Kodj emerge from their cool, damp caves and quickly gather anything edible from the rocky desert outside before their skin dries out or they're seen by predators, of which there are many.
oh i like these!! i do some of my own specbio sometimes too but right now that mostly amounts to species of creatures i drew when i was eight. heres a recent doodle of a potential evolution tree of the 4 at the very end (yellow fluffy guy (vryte), leg tail neck guy, red winged guy (al) and water guy) [img]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/355140268510674964/787700537676005376/goin_nuts_with_specbio_babey.png[/img] and half of them dont even have names... the idea for this world is that most species has eyestalks, but the only non vryte relative ive made is a weird feathery amphibian thing the idea for my vryte relatives is that theyre all sapient, but i. really havent developed any of their culture or anything beyond the fact that they just give each other names and vrytes sometimes seeing als as a little selfish n barbarian even though theyre about equally as smart. thats something i gotta work on then! ill doodle up some clothes later
oh i like these!!
i do some of my own specbio sometimes too but right now that mostly amounts to species of creatures i drew when i was eight. heres a recent doodle of a potential evolution tree of the 4 at the very end (yellow fluffy guy (vryte), leg tail neck guy, red winged guy (al) and water guy)
goin_nuts_with_specbio_babey.png
and half of them dont even have names... the idea for this world is that most species has eyestalks, but the only non vryte relative ive made is a weird feathery amphibian thing
the idea for my vryte relatives is that theyre all sapient, but i. really havent developed any of their culture or anything beyond the fact that they just give each other names and vrytes sometimes seeing als as a little selfish n barbarian even though theyre about equally as smart. thats something i gotta work on then! ill doodle up some clothes later
|||||zel
Glowbug she/her
actual spore creature
Biblaridion released a new episode of Alien Biospheres.
Biblaridion released a new episode of Alien Biospheres.
@PixelSpiral Thank you! Yours are really cute! Believe me, I wish I could draw my own creatures...
@PixelSpiral Thank you! Yours are really cute! Believe me, I wish I could draw my own creatures...
Boy howdy, do I have something to tell you fellas.

It started out with a simple idea: after the end of a certain video game (not naming names here), the world is in disrepair. So how would it heal? This led to a fanfiction in which the game’s two prominent child characters, now adults, navigate their way through a post-apocalyptic world, where all the other humans mutated into magic-attuned monsters. At first I didn’t have an explanation for it, but then I tacked on the fact that there was a mix of clown blood and stolen esper magic in the air, causing everyone to mutate. Then I made it so that there was a happy ending, and all the humans went back to normal, and the beast forms of all the surviving main characters became separate beings.

*Billy Mays voice* BUT WAIT! THERE’S MORE!

I left all the new creatures to evolve, some of them being semi-bipedal felines with long ears and feathered canine-humanoids. They lost their magic and developed sentience, and it was at that point when I realized: “oh sh*t, I just created Klonoa.
Boy howdy, do I have something to tell you fellas.

It started out with a simple idea: after the end of a certain video game (not naming names here), the world is in disrepair. So how would it heal? This led to a fanfiction in which the game’s two prominent child characters, now adults, navigate their way through a post-apocalyptic world, where all the other humans mutated into magic-attuned monsters. At first I didn’t have an explanation for it, but then I tacked on the fact that there was a mix of clown blood and stolen esper magic in the air, causing everyone to mutate. Then I made it so that there was a happy ending, and all the humans went back to normal, and the beast forms of all the surviving main characters became separate beings.

*Billy Mays voice* BUT WAIT! THERE’S MORE!

I left all the new creatures to evolve, some of them being semi-bipedal felines with long ears and feathered canine-humanoids. They lost their magic and developed sentience, and it was at that point when I realized: “oh sh*t, I just created Klonoa.
tumblr_ovy93jxd481u1ry24o2_500.gif
There is some good art right here!

I should really illustrate my dragon taxonomic chart. I am also currently trying to decide in my speculative taxonomy whether Frankenstein's creature is a simulacrum or a homunculus.
There is some good art right here!

I should really illustrate my dragon taxonomic chart. I am also currently trying to decide in my speculative taxonomy whether Frankenstein's creature is a simulacrum or a homunculus.
Call me Requacy (Pinging Allowed!)(Note to self: Make art for signature)
Cursed Serina fan creature:

the scootburb, Athletanas vineius, is a primitive waterfowl named for the comical mannerism in which flocks rapidly waddle in synchrony. Males sport bright green head plumage with a white cap and pink spots beneath the eyes and a distinctive "zi-zo" or "zi-zu" call. It eats primarily water plants and fallen fruit, but has also been observed preying on meatworms, Carnivermis torrensori. These "worms" are actually basal metamorphs that became neotenous in their larval stage, and sport small rounded beaks and pitiful sunken eyes. They retain just enough of a vocal apparatus to make a strangled yeeeow as a distress signal.
Cursed Serina fan creature:

the scootburb, Athletanas vineius, is a primitive waterfowl named for the comical mannerism in which flocks rapidly waddle in synchrony. Males sport bright green head plumage with a white cap and pink spots beneath the eyes and a distinctive "zi-zo" or "zi-zu" call. It eats primarily water plants and fallen fruit, but has also been observed preying on meatworms, Carnivermis torrensori. These "worms" are actually basal metamorphs that became neotenous in their larval stage, and sport small rounded beaks and pitiful sunken eyes. They retain just enough of a vocal apparatus to make a strangled yeeeow as a distress signal.
@sunnySerina
I hate how I know what the reference is

Might I add the existence of the Lucarnis bungerii, a stag beetle-like insectoid favored as food for its meaty, salty inner core?
@sunnySerina
I hate how I know what the reference is

Might I add the existence of the Lucarnis bungerii, a stag beetle-like insectoid favored as food for its meaty, salty inner core?
tumblr_ovy93jxd481u1ry24o2_500.gif
1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 61 62