Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Speculative evolution, anyone?
1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 61 62
@sunnySerina @LoversMasque

Oh no, I know what this reference is too.

Salty on the inside, crunchy on the outside.

Also I'm currently watching Alien Worlds. Going to watch Eden next. Pretty interesting concepts, such as the tidally locked planet and the handicap principle. I like how they also talk about real creatures, too. If anyone else is watching it, what is your favorite planet/alien?

(Note to self: Write down surplus killing statistics for various predatory dragon species.)
@sunnySerina @LoversMasque

Oh no, I know what this reference is too.

Salty on the inside, crunchy on the outside.

Also I'm currently watching Alien Worlds. Going to watch Eden next. Pretty interesting concepts, such as the tidally locked planet and the handicap principle. I like how they also talk about real creatures, too. If anyone else is watching it, what is your favorite planet/alien?

(Note to self: Write down surplus killing statistics for various predatory dragon species.)
Call me Requacy (Pinging Allowed!)(Note to self: Make art for signature)
still reading through serina and the "Things will never be this good again, as the curtain rises on Serina's finale." hit me hard again.... liek its expected things just end eventually but its. still really sad yknow
man all those crazy creature ideas slap though

edit: just read about osteopulmas. those teeny tiny itsy bitsy (as in the Smallest) birds with passive respiration and really weird wings. simply put: holy crap
still reading through serina and the "Things will never be this good again, as the curtain rises on Serina's finale." hit me hard again.... liek its expected things just end eventually but its. still really sad yknow
man all those crazy creature ideas slap though

edit: just read about osteopulmas. those teeny tiny itsy bitsy (as in the Smallest) birds with passive respiration and really weird wings. simply put: holy crap
|||||zel
Glowbug she/her
actual spore creature
A thread on r/SpeculativeEvolution got me thinking about a seed world with parrots since they're my favorite animals. I'm not sure which exact species I would use – budgies, lovebirds, conures, keas, African Greys, and macaws all have different capabilities, skills, and needs – or what the accessory clades would be, but some forms I could imagine would emerge:
  • Large, slow, kakapo-like herbivores evolve before the predators do, akin to Serina's womblers
  • Falcon-like predators that catch their prey in flight and kill by cracking its spine with their beaks
  • Flightless scavenger/carnivores that crush bones and skulls instead of nuts; given parrots' high intelligence and sociality, these could evolve into pack-hunting hyena analogues
  • Burrowers akin to TFIW's Spinks or Serina's bumblets and molebirds that use their beaks like pickaxes and evolve their wings and feet into shovels
  • Lorikeets have brush-like tongues that they use to eat pollen and nectar; since this isn't the most nutritious diet, most nectarivores are small, so a parrot that evolved this trait could evolve into hummingbird analogues
  • Temperate forms with plainer, thicker plumage and omnivorous tendencies akin to the kea
  • Of course, since parrots, even budgies, are much smarter to start than canaries, it probably wouldn't take quite as long for a sapient lineage to evolve. Studies show that while African Greys are the best talkers, the most linguistically intelligent, keas are the most socially intelligent parrots known. There was a study where keas remembered that different human researchers expressed different preferences for black or white counters and gave them to them accordingly.

What kind of seed world could you imagine from your own favorite animals?
A thread on r/SpeculativeEvolution got me thinking about a seed world with parrots since they're my favorite animals. I'm not sure which exact species I would use – budgies, lovebirds, conures, keas, African Greys, and macaws all have different capabilities, skills, and needs – or what the accessory clades would be, but some forms I could imagine would emerge:
  • Large, slow, kakapo-like herbivores evolve before the predators do, akin to Serina's womblers
  • Falcon-like predators that catch their prey in flight and kill by cracking its spine with their beaks
  • Flightless scavenger/carnivores that crush bones and skulls instead of nuts; given parrots' high intelligence and sociality, these could evolve into pack-hunting hyena analogues
  • Burrowers akin to TFIW's Spinks or Serina's bumblets and molebirds that use their beaks like pickaxes and evolve their wings and feet into shovels
  • Lorikeets have brush-like tongues that they use to eat pollen and nectar; since this isn't the most nutritious diet, most nectarivores are small, so a parrot that evolved this trait could evolve into hummingbird analogues
  • Temperate forms with plainer, thicker plumage and omnivorous tendencies akin to the kea
  • Of course, since parrots, even budgies, are much smarter to start than canaries, it probably wouldn't take quite as long for a sapient lineage to evolve. Studies show that while African Greys are the best talkers, the most linguistically intelligent, keas are the most socially intelligent parrots known. There was a study where keas remembered that different human researchers expressed different preferences for black or white counters and gave them to them accordingly.

What kind of seed world could you imagine from your own favorite animals?
I7a1ndF.pngOxagJgG.pngWBC5JG3.pngwOEIAes.png
@sunnySerina
fox planet fox planet fox planet

We start with two each of red, arctic, gray and fennec foxes. What follows is:
  • Jerboa-like, herbivorous fennec descendants
  • Foxes the size of wolves, evolved to hunt in packs as wolves do
  • EVEN BIGGER arctic foxes, growing as large as the ice age megafauna
  • Some fennecs evolve to take on more feline forms, like lions or cheetahs. Gotta fill in that empty niche, y'know.
  • Raccoon dog-like burrowers. Just. Round bois.
  • FOX DEER. Slender, herbivorous foxes that just wander docilely about before being preyed on by the folves and polar foxes
  • Taking inspiration from the old Flash game Vulpin Adventure, perhaps bipedal vulpinoids, built like raptors.
  • Literal flying foxes, that evolve fleshy wings akin to pterodactyls. Some of them take to the seas, to feast upon smaller seabirds and fish. Yes, Gabbiani, Foxgull is canon.
  • Somewhere along those lines, the Vulpins start to evolve sentience. I would say, since they're mammals, their paws could easily translate into hands, making them deft crafters.
  • What would the advantage of multiple tails be? Could they act as extra limbs? Or could they just be attractive to mates? Could there be a kitsune planet?
  • What if those kitsune people domesticated the foxdeer? Perhaps the tanukis? Perhaps artificial selection could make them evolve even further.
  • WHAT IF THE TANUKIS DEVELOPED SENTIENCE? COULD THERE BE ALLIANCES AMONG THE KITSUNE AND TANUKIS?
  • also I'm subbing
@sunnySerina
fox planet fox planet fox planet

We start with two each of red, arctic, gray and fennec foxes. What follows is:
  • Jerboa-like, herbivorous fennec descendants
  • Foxes the size of wolves, evolved to hunt in packs as wolves do
  • EVEN BIGGER arctic foxes, growing as large as the ice age megafauna
  • Some fennecs evolve to take on more feline forms, like lions or cheetahs. Gotta fill in that empty niche, y'know.
  • Raccoon dog-like burrowers. Just. Round bois.
  • FOX DEER. Slender, herbivorous foxes that just wander docilely about before being preyed on by the folves and polar foxes
  • Taking inspiration from the old Flash game Vulpin Adventure, perhaps bipedal vulpinoids, built like raptors.
  • Literal flying foxes, that evolve fleshy wings akin to pterodactyls. Some of them take to the seas, to feast upon smaller seabirds and fish. Yes, Gabbiani, Foxgull is canon.
  • Somewhere along those lines, the Vulpins start to evolve sentience. I would say, since they're mammals, their paws could easily translate into hands, making them deft crafters.
  • What would the advantage of multiple tails be? Could they act as extra limbs? Or could they just be attractive to mates? Could there be a kitsune planet?
  • What if those kitsune people domesticated the foxdeer? Perhaps the tanukis? Perhaps artificial selection could make them evolve even further.
  • WHAT IF THE TANUKIS DEVELOPED SENTIENCE? COULD THERE BE ALLIANCES AMONG THE KITSUNE AND TANUKIS?
  • also I'm subbing
tumblr_ovy93jxd481u1ry24o2_500.gif
ive actually thought of another world building idea where we just start out with a nondescript earthlike fish that actually has 6 limbs! so we have six-limbed vertebrates. i think it could make for something interestin!
does seed world just basically refer to the same idea as serina but with other animals instead of canaries? id love to see more of these i think the fact that recognizeable earth animals just evolve into something absolutely insane is what made me really attached to serina as opposed to say snaiad
edit: i poked around that specevo subreddit and i was right it is like serina
ive actually thought of another world building idea where we just start out with a nondescript earthlike fish that actually has 6 limbs! so we have six-limbed vertebrates. i think it could make for something interestin!
does seed world just basically refer to the same idea as serina but with other animals instead of canaries? id love to see more of these i think the fact that recognizeable earth animals just evolve into something absolutely insane is what made me really attached to serina as opposed to say snaiad
edit: i poked around that specevo subreddit and i was right it is like serina
|||||zel
Glowbug she/her
actual spore creature

Oooh, this is good stuff. This is very good stuff.

*Sweats at picking one favorite animal*

I have too many ideas but I'll just start thinking of stuff. I'd like creating a seed world with either mollusks or crocodilians. Especially with nautiluses and caimans. I just want to see Kaprosuchus re-evolve okay-

I have too many ideas but I'll just start thinking of stuff. I'd like creating a seed world with either mollusks or crocodilians. Especially with nautiluses and caimans. I just want to see Kaprosuchus re-evolve okay-
[quote name="Requacy" date="2020-12-28 13:48:07" ] Oooh, this is good stuff. This is very good stuff. *Sweats at picking one favorite animal* I have too many ideas but I'll just start thinking of stuff. I'd like creating a seed world with either mollusks or crocodilians. Especially with nautiluses and caimans. I just want to see Kaprosuchus re-evolve okay- [/quote] A mollusk world would be very interesting indeed. Serina already has some unusual mollusks like reef-building snails and clams, active free-swimming sea slugs called snarks (including a giant manta ray-like form, the king trawler), and nudibranchs the size of cars. The Triassic period was a crocodilian’s world for a while. You’ve got Effigia and Desmatosuchus as inspiration for highly derived crocs.
Requacy wrote on 2020-12-28 13:48:07:

A mollusk world would be very interesting indeed. Serina already has some unusual mollusks like reef-building snails and clams, active free-swimming sea slugs called snarks (including a giant manta ray-like form, the king trawler), and nudibranchs the size of cars.

The Triassic period was a crocodilian’s world for a while. You’ve got Effigia and Desmatosuchus as inspiration for highly derived crocs.
did anyone call for some foxplanet art [img]https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/704485103178481667/793321251539648532/IMG_20201228_0002.jpg[/img] because here's some foxplanet art Pictured: A kitsune herder leading his prized Highland Silken feer. Kitsune have a caste-based system, deriving from the number of tails they possess. The highest-born have the maximum of nine tails, while the lowest, only one. Rarely has one ever been born with no tails at all.
did anyone call for some foxplanet art
IMG_20201228_0002.jpg
because here's some foxplanet art

Pictured: A kitsune herder leading his prized Highland Silken feer. Kitsune have a caste-based system, deriving from the number of tails they possess. The highest-born have the maximum of nine tails, while the lowest, only one. Rarely has one ever been born with no tails at all.
tumblr_ovy93jxd481u1ry24o2_500.gif
[quote name="LoversMasque" date="2020-12-28 19:38:31" ] did anyone call for some foxplanet art [img]https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/704485103178481667/793321251539648532/IMG_20201228_0002.jpg[/img] because here's some foxplanet art Pictured: A kitsune herder leading his prized Highland Silken feer. Kitsune have a caste-based system, deriving from the number of tails they possess. The highest-born have the maximum of nine tails, while the lowest, only one. Rarely has one ever been born with no tails at all. [/quote] Very nice!
LoversMasque wrote on 2020-12-28 19:38:31:
did anyone call for some foxplanet art
IMG_20201228_0002.jpg
because here's some foxplanet art

Pictured: A kitsune herder leading his prized Highland Silken feer. Kitsune have a caste-based system, deriving from the number of tails they possess. The highest-born have the maximum of nine tails, while the lowest, only one. Rarely has one ever been born with no tails at all.
Very nice!
[quote name="sunnySerina" date="2020-12-28 14:44:20" ] [quote name="Requacy" date="2020-12-28 13:48:07" ] Oooh, this is good stuff. This is very good stuff. *Sweats at picking one favorite animal* I have too many ideas but I'll just start thinking of stuff. I'd like creating a seed world with either mollusks or crocodilians. Especially with nautiluses and caimans. I just want to see Kaprosuchus re-evolve okay- [/quote] A mollusk world would be very interesting indeed. Serina already has some unusual mollusks like reef-building snails and clams, active free-swimming sea slugs called snarks (including a giant manta ray-like form, the king trawler), and nudibranchs the size of cars. The Triassic period was a crocodilian’s world for a while. You’ve got Effigia and Desmatosuchus as inspiration for highly derived crocs. [/quote][font=American Gothic][size=4] Considering the vast variety of mollusks on this planet [i]alone[/i], a planet of Mollusca could have a wonderful amount of diversity. Serina has great mollusks. I especially loved the snarks and the reef-builders. Consider... sea sheep the size of an actual sheep. Yeah! Triassic crocs are amazing. There were also some awesome bipedal crocodilians like [i]Postosuchus[/i] that could be used for inspiration. Also @LoversMasque Rad!! Such cute friends.
sunnySerina wrote on 2020-12-28 14:44:20:
Requacy wrote on 2020-12-28 13:48:07:

A mollusk world would be very interesting indeed. Serina already has some unusual mollusks like reef-building snails and clams, active free-swimming sea slugs called snarks (including a giant manta ray-like form, the king trawler), and nudibranchs the size of cars.

The Triassic period was a crocodilian’s world for a while. You’ve got Effigia and Desmatosuchus as inspiration for highly derived crocs.

Considering the vast variety of mollusks on this planet alone, a planet of Mollusca could have a wonderful amount of diversity. Serina has great mollusks. I especially loved the snarks and the reef-builders. Consider... sea sheep the size of an actual sheep.

Yeah! Triassic crocs are amazing. There were also some awesome bipedal crocodilians like Postosuchus that could be used for inspiration.

Also @LoversMasque

Rad!! Such cute friends.
1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 61 62