Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Speculative evolution, anyone?
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 61 62
@Doomwyte I've never heard of those, but Serinan arthropods converge on a wide variety of those that weren't selected, like bee-like honey ants, butterfly-like crickets called florgusts, and even tiny spider-like arboreal crabs. So probably?
@Doomwyte I've never heard of those, but Serinan arthropods converge on a wide variety of those that weren't selected, like bee-like honey ants, butterfly-like crickets called florgusts, and even tiny spider-like arboreal crabs. So probably?
I7a1ndF.pngOxagJgG.pngWBC5JG3.pngwOEIAes.png
@sunnySerina
Someone mentioned a “mammal-like ant trapped in amber” and then I found out they were talking about Linguamyrmex spp. and how their mandibles (?) swing up like a mammal’s lower jaw rather than the motion most insect mandibles move in. I thought it was neat. I’m kind of tired of every prehistoric thing being name hell-fill in the blank though. Like hell pig and hell frog... ok I think that’s enough. No we’re gonna name these HELL ANTS! Like, ok, newsroom folks you can settle down now. Honestly you’d think if dinosaurs were just discovered this year, they’d be called HELL LIZARDS... yes I know the Latin could be interpreted as such instead of terrible lizard.
@sunnySerina
Someone mentioned a “mammal-like ant trapped in amber” and then I found out they were talking about Linguamyrmex spp. and how their mandibles (?) swing up like a mammal’s lower jaw rather than the motion most insect mandibles move in. I thought it was neat. I’m kind of tired of every prehistoric thing being name hell-fill in the blank though. Like hell pig and hell frog... ok I think that’s enough. No we’re gonna name these HELL ANTS! Like, ok, newsroom folks you can settle down now. Honestly you’d think if dinosaurs were just discovered this year, they’d be called HELL LIZARDS... yes I know the Latin could be interpreted as such instead of terrible lizard.
Kind of bizarre to think they probably developed those jaws to get at cockroaches which hide their vulnerable segments underneath a hard thorax. Or at least modern hissers are basically little tanks. Yet here is an ant that would take on the insect tank. Man, they wouldn’t have had any trouble with blue butterfly larva, ant predators that rely on not being pulled up or grabbed, or jewel caterpillars with their gummy armor. Though I don’t know if those species co-existed with these unusual ants. Edit: sorry I took over your thread with ant discourse, I’ve been watching too much Ants Canada [emoji=nocturne tongue size=2]
Kind of bizarre to think they probably developed those jaws to get at cockroaches which hide their vulnerable segments underneath a hard thorax. Or at least modern hissers are basically little tanks. Yet here is an ant that would take on the insect tank. Man, they wouldn’t have had any trouble with blue butterfly larva, ant predators that rely on not being pulled up or grabbed, or jewel caterpillars with their gummy armor. Though I don’t know if those species co-existed with these unusual ants.

Edit: sorry I took over your thread with ant discourse, I’ve been watching too much Ants Canada
So, there is a Netflix show about that kinda stuff coming. https://youtu.be/2YTYleNFaPE

Looks like this may interest you too. Appareny it should be out sometime this wednesday.
So, there is a Netflix show about that kinda stuff coming. https://youtu.be/2YTYleNFaPE

Looks like this may interest you too. Appareny it should be out sometime this wednesday.
It's been a long time since we got a new mainstream spec-evo work. I hope this one is good and creative yet believable. But it's Net"Cuties""BigMouth"flix, so we'll probably get: "The females of most life forms on this planet are sexually mature upon hatching and prefer to copulate with older males."
It's been a long time since we got a new mainstream spec-evo work. I hope this one is good and creative yet believable. But it's Net"Cuties""BigMouth"flix, so we'll probably get: "The females of most life forms on this planet are sexually mature upon hatching and prefer to copulate with older males."
Alien Worlds is out and I just watched it. I knida wish they'd spend a lot more time exploring different parts of the planets and their ecosystems, but overall, pretty interesting. I hope there'll be more seasons. Definitely has potential.
Alien Worlds is out and I just watched it. I knida wish they'd spend a lot more time exploring different parts of the planets and their ecosystems, but overall, pretty interesting. I hope there'll be more seasons. Definitely has potential.
So in the trailer I saw some fish-bird-things, some anemone-things, and some mammal-things. What were the breakdown on those?
So in the trailer I saw some fish-bird-things, some anemone-things, and some mammal-things. What were the breakdown on those?
@SunnySerina

The bird-fish things (called sky-grazers) lived on a world with more than twice the gravity of earth. Due to the strong gravity, oxygen and other gases were also more attracted towards the ground, making the air extremely dense. So they could fly in the thick athmosphere with little effort. They lived on plant-seeds that floated due to being less dense than the air.
There were also balloon-like predators on that planet that preyed on sky-grazers, although they were much smaller then them. They floated upwards, above the sky-grazers, and waited in swarms until one sky-grazer separates from its group. Then they let out the hydrogen of theif ballons, dropped on their prey and tried to destabilize its flight with their wings to bring it down, so they could consume it on the ground.
Sky-grazers lay eggs, and to do so, they have to go to the ground. However, once an adult is on the ground, they have no way to get back up again and die next to their eggs. Hatchlings take flight by dropping from the edge of a cliff. But to do so, they have to avoid boneless scavengers, that can engulf them whole to digest them.

The anemone-things (if you mean the critters that looked kinda like five-legged barnacles) lived on a planet that was tidally locked towards the sun. They are called pentapods. While all of live near the twilight rim of the sunlight, they have evolved different variants depending on whether they live on the light or dark side. Liquid water is scarce, with most water being vapor or ice, so each side has desert-like conditions.
On the dark side, some interesting stuff happend. The pentapods were hunting jumping grubs that flash light to each after as a warning signal. After a pentapod has eaten enough of thrm, it has enough bioluminescent chemicals, that it can use that ability itself. It streched it arms out around grubs and flashes with the ends. Since the grubs escape away from the direction light comes from, the grubs are now fleeing toward the pentapod's mouth.

The mammal-like beings lived on a planet orbiting binary stars. Therefore, there was more energy in the world and everything is a bit more rapid. Rabbit-like grazers live on the ground and eat fungi. Due to always needing to be alert to avoid predators, they have no time for courtship and mating. Instead, they produce worm-like organs that autonomously search for others of their kind nearby. When two of them meet, they wrap around each other and form a cocoon where the young grazer will develop.
Grazers are preyed on by monkey-like predators, which, while slower on the ground, are better climbers. However, during a certain season, the fungi eaten by the grazers will infest the grazers with spores. Those grazers will not have a natural flight reflex upon seeing a predator. After a predator eats one of those, they become poisoned and die, providing nutrients gor a new generation of fungus.
The season are more extreme on the planet too. In winter, the predators migrate, but all the grazers die off. At the behinning of a new spring, the grazer cocoons hatch and the cycle begins anew.
@SunnySerina

The bird-fish things (called sky-grazers) lived on a world with more than twice the gravity of earth. Due to the strong gravity, oxygen and other gases were also more attracted towards the ground, making the air extremely dense. So they could fly in the thick athmosphere with little effort. They lived on plant-seeds that floated due to being less dense than the air.
There were also balloon-like predators on that planet that preyed on sky-grazers, although they were much smaller then them. They floated upwards, above the sky-grazers, and waited in swarms until one sky-grazer separates from its group. Then they let out the hydrogen of theif ballons, dropped on their prey and tried to destabilize its flight with their wings to bring it down, so they could consume it on the ground.
Sky-grazers lay eggs, and to do so, they have to go to the ground. However, once an adult is on the ground, they have no way to get back up again and die next to their eggs. Hatchlings take flight by dropping from the edge of a cliff. But to do so, they have to avoid boneless scavengers, that can engulf them whole to digest them.

The anemone-things (if you mean the critters that looked kinda like five-legged barnacles) lived on a planet that was tidally locked towards the sun. They are called pentapods. While all of live near the twilight rim of the sunlight, they have evolved different variants depending on whether they live on the light or dark side. Liquid water is scarce, with most water being vapor or ice, so each side has desert-like conditions.
On the dark side, some interesting stuff happend. The pentapods were hunting jumping grubs that flash light to each after as a warning signal. After a pentapod has eaten enough of thrm, it has enough bioluminescent chemicals, that it can use that ability itself. It streched it arms out around grubs and flashes with the ends. Since the grubs escape away from the direction light comes from, the grubs are now fleeing toward the pentapod's mouth.

The mammal-like beings lived on a planet orbiting binary stars. Therefore, there was more energy in the world and everything is a bit more rapid. Rabbit-like grazers live on the ground and eat fungi. Due to always needing to be alert to avoid predators, they have no time for courtship and mating. Instead, they produce worm-like organs that autonomously search for others of their kind nearby. When two of them meet, they wrap around each other and form a cocoon where the young grazer will develop.
Grazers are preyed on by monkey-like predators, which, while slower on the ground, are better climbers. However, during a certain season, the fungi eaten by the grazers will infest the grazers with spores. Those grazers will not have a natural flight reflex upon seeing a predator. After a predator eats one of those, they become poisoned and die, providing nutrients gor a new generation of fungus.
The season are more extreme on the planet too. In winter, the predators migrate, but all the grazers die off. At the behinning of a new spring, the grazer cocoons hatch and the cycle begins anew.
Alien Worlds
My brutal opinion:

-500 for rip off of either every single or almost every single design from 1960’s sci fi mags, I’ve definitely seen all of these before with the same life cycles too

-500 for not examining ecosystems thoroughly and just tossing a few organisms into each segment, yes I like nitty gritty details.

-500 for short animation sequences

+75 for scavenger meatballs, unoriginal or not I like scavenger meatballs

I want scavenger meatballs as familiars on FR
Alien Worlds
My brutal opinion:

-500 for rip off of either every single or almost every single design from 1960’s sci fi mags, I’ve definitely seen all of these before with the same life cycles too

-500 for not examining ecosystems thoroughly and just tossing a few organisms into each segment, yes I like nitty gritty details.

-500 for short animation sequences

+75 for scavenger meatballs, unoriginal or not I like scavenger meatballs

I want scavenger meatballs as familiars on FR
A mainstream work like Alien Worlds has to be accessible to a public without advanced biology knowledge, as opposed to something like Serina or Snaiad that's by speccers(?) for speccers. It'd be like comparing Pokemon to Shin Megami Tensei.
A mainstream work like Alien Worlds has to be accessible to a public without advanced biology knowledge, as opposed to something like Serina or Snaiad that's by speccers(?) for speccers. It'd be like comparing Pokemon to Shin Megami Tensei.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 61 62