Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Things you love that nobody's heard of..
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 62 63
What are some obscure/less popular/unknown things you love that have less popular fandoms, or that less people know about? Maybe most people don't remember it, or the fandom is tiny, who knows.

For me it's:

Spore, the one by Maxis. I grew up playing the PC game, and the Wii spin off, and DS spin off. (Spore Heroes and Spore Creatures)
Okami, which is decently popular now but the fandom is tiny. Favourite game of all time.
Ori and the Blind Forest. Seems popular, but I can never find a big fandom group. Beautiful game, about a quarter through it.
Journey/Abzu. Great indie games, tiny fandoms.
Dragon's Dogma. Nowhere near as popular as Dragon Age ord Dark Souls, but it has one of my favorite fictional dragons.

The Silver Fang series. (Ginga Densetsu Weed mostly, I've only seen the animation version of that) Watched the whole thing from beginning to end in a week, it's still the only anime I enjoy.

Age of Fire. Was recommended to me by a friend, it's a coming of age story from three perspectives of some dragon siblings. First book, already love it.
Temeraire. Underrated, I can never find other fans. Only in the first book, but I love it.
Dragon Rider, by Cornelia Funke. Nobody talks about it. :(
What are some obscure/less popular/unknown things you love that have less popular fandoms, or that less people know about? Maybe most people don't remember it, or the fandom is tiny, who knows.

For me it's:

Spore, the one by Maxis. I grew up playing the PC game, and the Wii spin off, and DS spin off. (Spore Heroes and Spore Creatures)
Okami, which is decently popular now but the fandom is tiny. Favourite game of all time.
Ori and the Blind Forest. Seems popular, but I can never find a big fandom group. Beautiful game, about a quarter through it.
Journey/Abzu. Great indie games, tiny fandoms.
Dragon's Dogma. Nowhere near as popular as Dragon Age ord Dark Souls, but it has one of my favorite fictional dragons.

The Silver Fang series. (Ginga Densetsu Weed mostly, I've only seen the animation version of that) Watched the whole thing from beginning to end in a week, it's still the only anime I enjoy.

Age of Fire. Was recommended to me by a friend, it's a coming of age story from three perspectives of some dragon siblings. First book, already love it.
Temeraire. Underrated, I can never find other fans. Only in the first book, but I love it.
Dragon Rider, by Cornelia Funke. Nobody talks about it. :(
plaguetop.png
Not sure if this counts, but pretty much every classic that I like has an obscure or nonexistent fandom.

I know small fandoms exist for Lord of the Flies, Wuthering Heights, Frankenstein, and The Picture of Dorian Gray, but that's pretty much it. I don't think that there's any fandoms for 1984, Fahrenheit 451, Slaughterhouse-Five, Beloved, Flowers for Algernon, Catch-22, and Of Mice and Men though; they have their fair share of readers, but I can barely find any fan content for these books. Not even general fanart, and that's usually pretty easy to find. And I'm aware that there's a decent amount of fanart of those books on DeviantArt, but I don't count them because they're old. :"D

Also I don't think there's anything for Ibsen even though I think he's a pretty cool playwright... Oops. I believe that he's fairly obscure in the world of classics, so I highly doubt that a lot of people have heard about him.

Most of my irl friends don't care much about classics, and for some reason I just want to keep talking to people about these books... *sweats nervously*
Not sure if this counts, but pretty much every classic that I like has an obscure or nonexistent fandom.

I know small fandoms exist for Lord of the Flies, Wuthering Heights, Frankenstein, and The Picture of Dorian Gray, but that's pretty much it. I don't think that there's any fandoms for 1984, Fahrenheit 451, Slaughterhouse-Five, Beloved, Flowers for Algernon, Catch-22, and Of Mice and Men though; they have their fair share of readers, but I can barely find any fan content for these books. Not even general fanart, and that's usually pretty easy to find. And I'm aware that there's a decent amount of fanart of those books on DeviantArt, but I don't count them because they're old. :"D

Also I don't think there's anything for Ibsen even though I think he's a pretty cool playwright... Oops. I believe that he's fairly obscure in the world of classics, so I highly doubt that a lot of people have heard about him.

Most of my irl friends don't care much about classics, and for some reason I just want to keep talking to people about these books... *sweats nervously*
tumblr_ozp7liPSd31w8xkufo9_250.png

the band Fleece. ;;u;;

the band Fleece. ;;u;;
2dumqon.jpg

they/them | med student
martial artist
@redhillzone
Ooh, I can do the age of fire one. Good books, but I gotta give the recommendation, stop at the 4th book. The 5th and the 6th aren't terrible, but they do suffer from a lot of problems, and I feel you can stop reading at the 4th and walk away with a satisfying conclusion.
The last two, the 6th especially, kind of just suffer from trying to do waaaay too many things at once. If it had just focused on developing one or two new concepts it wouldn't have been as bad, but it's ended up where you've got all these different places and characters and groups, but none of them really go into depth. They kind of just pop into the story then pop out again, with little bearing on each other or the plot.
The main problem is the last 2 books don't really contribute to the narrative. They don't tie up any loose ends that are hinted at in earlier ones, in fact they just leave you with more questions and no answers. If anything reading them leaves you less satisfied.
There is also a noticeable drop in quality of writing in general. Names are forgotten or mismatched, which can be confusing if you don't spot it, as before mentioned whole new things appear only to never be talked about again a page after they were introduced, various other things that I can't quite remember off the top of my head. Nothing was given the time it needed to be fleshed out.

Man I went pretty in depth there. Like ya said, obscure things, don't really get a chance to talk about them much, so yeah, free wall of text for ya. Just the thoughts I had whilst and after reading them.
First 4 books are really good reads though.
@redhillzone
Ooh, I can do the age of fire one. Good books, but I gotta give the recommendation, stop at the 4th book. The 5th and the 6th aren't terrible, but they do suffer from a lot of problems, and I feel you can stop reading at the 4th and walk away with a satisfying conclusion.
The last two, the 6th especially, kind of just suffer from trying to do waaaay too many things at once. If it had just focused on developing one or two new concepts it wouldn't have been as bad, but it's ended up where you've got all these different places and characters and groups, but none of them really go into depth. They kind of just pop into the story then pop out again, with little bearing on each other or the plot.
The main problem is the last 2 books don't really contribute to the narrative. They don't tie up any loose ends that are hinted at in earlier ones, in fact they just leave you with more questions and no answers. If anything reading them leaves you less satisfied.
There is also a noticeable drop in quality of writing in general. Names are forgotten or mismatched, which can be confusing if you don't spot it, as before mentioned whole new things appear only to never be talked about again a page after they were introduced, various other things that I can't quite remember off the top of my head. Nothing was given the time it needed to be fleshed out.

Man I went pretty in depth there. Like ya said, obscure things, don't really get a chance to talk about them much, so yeah, free wall of text for ya. Just the thoughts I had whilst and after reading them.
First 4 books are really good reads though.
Just call me Ol' Jim John John Jackery Jim Jam Hickory Smoked Johnson
Oh I've watched the Silver Fang series! :D

But yeah not too many people seem to have heard of Blue Oyster Cult and some other things that I like. I'm also a big fan of Red Dead Redemption but what little fandom it has left is currently just sitting quietly waiting for Red Dead Redemption 2 to come out :')
Oh I've watched the Silver Fang series! :D

But yeah not too many people seem to have heard of Blue Oyster Cult and some other things that I like. I'm also a big fan of Red Dead Redemption but what little fandom it has left is currently just sitting quietly waiting for Red Dead Redemption 2 to come out :')
I love creatures! It was my childhood, 1, 2 and exodus but I wasn't very good at caring for them...
I love creatures! It was my childhood, 1, 2 and exodus but I wasn't very good at caring for them...
fam idk what to put in this thing anymore
@redhillzone

i LOOOOOOOOOOOOVE Journey!!
@redhillzone

i LOOOOOOOOOOOOVE Journey!!
tumblr_o5605efB1r1rdx0h0o7_540.gif
The Monster Rancher DS game, the bands Starset and July Talk and Dishonored, man, I wish Dishonored had a bigger fandom.

And Patrick Ness, the author. He's so good. More people need to know of him I st2g
The Monster Rancher DS game, the bands Starset and July Talk and Dishonored, man, I wish Dishonored had a bigger fandom.

And Patrick Ness, the author. He's so good. More people need to know of him I st2g
-The Game Slime Rancher. It is an ADORABLE game, with an ok amount of fans, but it is SO underrated.
-The Game Slime Rancher. It is an ADORABLE game, with an ok amount of fans, but it is SO underrated.
That feel when you're in the middle of something you can't pause, but then you smell tacos in the other room
thpt_flight_flag_small_by_jaynek0-dbz9mq4.png
There are about fifty billion SNES gems that fall in this catagory, but this is mostly because of fan translations being released either over the years, just recently, or that are in progress. Some examples:

-Chaos Seed (Very unique game of which you NEED to play through the tutorial. Kinda like if Dungeon Keeper was an Action RPG?)
-Gunman's Proof (Kinda like if Zelda was in the wild west.)
-Breath of Fire 2 (Was released but the translation is known as one of the worst in the SNES catalog. It wasn't fixed on the re-release because Capcom doesn't like you, so someone made a whole new redo.)
-Mega Man and Bass (A late SNES title for those who couldn't afford Mega Man 8 in which you can either play as the blue bomber himself or Bass from 7. Actually one of the hardest, it was translated officially on GBA too but made even harder due to the screen cropping introducing snipers. Also it has a robot catalog of everything in the original series.)
-Treasure of the Rudras (A marvel in translation actually, this is a game in which you make your own custom spells by words, the most in-depth in this area you're going to find for some time most likely. Pretty smooth looking too and an interesting plot that does some of FFVII's themes before FFVII.)
-Bahamut Lagoon (An SRPG in which a round in battle works like a turn in a JRPG. Dragons everywhere.)
-Live A Live (An RPG in which you play as many completely different smaller scenarios and heroes in each. Each one has a degree of heart and was worked with a different manga artist in theme. There's a huge surprise in the end that concerns all of them. One of the best translations of the bunch, up there with Mother 3 with Tomato even throwing in a hand. Why haven't you played this?)
-Kyuuyaku Megami Tensei/Megami Tensei: The Old Testament (SNES remakes of the original 2. You know, the game that SMT and Persona came out of.)
-Wrecking Crew '98 (A recent translation. Who actually knew that Wrecking Crew had a sequel? It's a game starring Mario that never made it over, chances are you'll like it.)
-The Glory of Heracles 1-4 (You've seen this series on DS, but fan translations have bridged the gap so you can play them all. Keep in mind that 1 and 2 are very much like classic Dragon Quest though. It's an RPG set in ancient Greece!)
-Metal Max Returns (You run around in tanks and do nearly whatever you want in a post-apocalyptic wasteland. Enemies are pretty nuts in ideas and you do a lot of bounty hunting for them.)
There are about fifty billion SNES gems that fall in this catagory, but this is mostly because of fan translations being released either over the years, just recently, or that are in progress. Some examples:

-Chaos Seed (Very unique game of which you NEED to play through the tutorial. Kinda like if Dungeon Keeper was an Action RPG?)
-Gunman's Proof (Kinda like if Zelda was in the wild west.)
-Breath of Fire 2 (Was released but the translation is known as one of the worst in the SNES catalog. It wasn't fixed on the re-release because Capcom doesn't like you, so someone made a whole new redo.)
-Mega Man and Bass (A late SNES title for those who couldn't afford Mega Man 8 in which you can either play as the blue bomber himself or Bass from 7. Actually one of the hardest, it was translated officially on GBA too but made even harder due to the screen cropping introducing snipers. Also it has a robot catalog of everything in the original series.)
-Treasure of the Rudras (A marvel in translation actually, this is a game in which you make your own custom spells by words, the most in-depth in this area you're going to find for some time most likely. Pretty smooth looking too and an interesting plot that does some of FFVII's themes before FFVII.)
-Bahamut Lagoon (An SRPG in which a round in battle works like a turn in a JRPG. Dragons everywhere.)
-Live A Live (An RPG in which you play as many completely different smaller scenarios and heroes in each. Each one has a degree of heart and was worked with a different manga artist in theme. There's a huge surprise in the end that concerns all of them. One of the best translations of the bunch, up there with Mother 3 with Tomato even throwing in a hand. Why haven't you played this?)
-Kyuuyaku Megami Tensei/Megami Tensei: The Old Testament (SNES remakes of the original 2. You know, the game that SMT and Persona came out of.)
-Wrecking Crew '98 (A recent translation. Who actually knew that Wrecking Crew had a sequel? It's a game starring Mario that never made it over, chances are you'll like it.)
-The Glory of Heracles 1-4 (You've seen this series on DS, but fan translations have bridged the gap so you can play them all. Keep in mind that 1 and 2 are very much like classic Dragon Quest though. It's an RPG set in ancient Greece!)
-Metal Max Returns (You run around in tanks and do nearly whatever you want in a post-apocalyptic wasteland. Enemies are pretty nuts in ideas and you do a lot of bounty hunting for them.)
My writing project.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 62 63