Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Do you use canon sizes in your lore?
I was thinking about this while writing lore two of my characters; one is a Guardian (13m) and the other a Tundra (2m), so it was funny thinking about their interactions considering their canon sizes. I also think it's interesting to consider how a world would work to accommodate such vast size differences, great worldbuilding opportunities.

So how do you deal with this in your lore? Do you ignore it and have all dragons the same size or not think about it at all? I'm super curious!
I was thinking about this while writing lore two of my characters; one is a Guardian (13m) and the other a Tundra (2m), so it was funny thinking about their interactions considering their canon sizes. I also think it's interesting to consider how a world would work to accommodate such vast size differences, great worldbuilding opportunities.

So how do you deal with this in your lore? Do you ignore it and have all dragons the same size or not think about it at all? I'm super curious!

Lucky | He/him
Check out Lucky Stones Hatchery &
the Starwatchers Subspecies!
________ULP7eHd.png

LPPlB.gif6U9OZ.gifICFeG.gif5ArRF.gif
Mostly I move all the sizes closer. Imps are still big, faes are still tiny, but not SO big or SO tiny. But I also don't think about it super hard.

The exception is veilspuns. They really are that tiny and can hover hummingbird style.
Mostly I move all the sizes closer. Imps are still big, faes are still tiny, but not SO big or SO tiny. But I also don't think about it super hard.

The exception is veilspuns. They really are that tiny and can hover hummingbird style.
Bubbly Buddy Razanei Lineage Project
Virtual Hibden
Breed Out the Ugly Challenge (Koi Edition)
I ignore canon sizes, though I do generally keep them accurate relative between breeds. Canon sizes are... not great. I don't like that an Imperial could inhale Veilspun with a single sniff (or close to that anyway).

Size differences between the dragons are great overall, they present an interesting challenge for dragon society to accomodate! But for me, using the canon sizes as they are stated in bios just isn't realistic or feasible in the least.
I ignore canon sizes, though I do generally keep them accurate relative between breeds. Canon sizes are... not great. I don't like that an Imperial could inhale Veilspun with a single sniff (or close to that anyway).

Size differences between the dragons are great overall, they present an interesting challenge for dragon society to accomodate! But for me, using the canon sizes as they are stated in bios just isn't realistic or feasible in the least.
1f7Wab5.png x F5AeglI.png x x
x
x
< - avatar
x

ahzidal (captain)
they / them
about
[quote name="Achaius" date="2024-05-09 17:43:43" ] Mostly I move all the sizes closer. Imps are still big, faes are still tiny, but not SO big or SO tiny. But I also don't think about it super hard. The exception is veilspuns. They really are that tiny and can hover hummingbird style. [/quote] This!
Achaius wrote on 2024-05-09 17:43:43:

This!
gladekeepervMjpzJ8.png
[/url]
Only when it's really funny
Only when it's really funny
YfIwYrL.png •Jupiter/Ben
•she/nix/nova/voi
•FR+0
Art Shop
Wishlist
[quote name="Achaius" date="2024-05-09 17:43:43" ] Mostly I move all the sizes closer. Imps are still big, faes are still tiny, but not SO big or SO tiny. But I also don't think about it super hard. The exception is veilspuns. They really are that tiny and can hover hummingbird style. [/quote] yeah same here!

yeah same here!
tumblr_inline_pafumapXAW1r16a5d_540.png tumblr_paeahswwr21r45983o8_100.png
[quote name="Achaius" date="2024-05-09 17:43:43" ] Mostly I move all the sizes closer. Imps are still big, faes are still tiny, but not SO big or SO tiny. But I also don't think about it super hard. The exception is veilspuns. They really are that tiny and can hover hummingbird style. [/quote] Yep, this more or less. I imagine them all as people in my head to begin with anyways, but I always write them as dragons and have it generally written that most of the breeds are close enough in size that it's not TOO difficult to accomodate different breeds of dragon using the same spaces. Y'know except for Veilspun. Teeny. They're bugs. For some reason, Gaoler's are also the largest breed in my head so that's how it is in my lore too. They're huge boys.

Yep, this more or less. I imagine them all as people in my head to begin with anyways, but I always write them as dragons and have it generally written that most of the breeds are close enough in size that it's not TOO difficult to accomodate different breeds of dragon using the same spaces.

Y'know except for Veilspun. Teeny. They're bugs. For some reason, Gaoler's are also the largest breed in my head so that's how it is in my lore too. They're huge boys.
Book of Eldritch Horror
-Recall/Lucius/Michael
-He/They, +8 FR Time
-Lore and Fandragon enthusiast, love to talk!
-Wishlist! / Skin Idea Generator
Lurching Tome
[quote name="Achaius" date="2024-05-09 17:43:43" ] Mostly I move all the sizes closer. Imps are still big, faes are still tiny, but not SO big or SO tiny. But I also don't think about it super hard. The exception is veilspuns. They really are that tiny and can hover hummingbird style. [/quote] Same except for the part about the veilspuns. It's kind of difficult for my clan since the main couple (my progens) are a fae and a guardian, and I just don't see that working out... Like he could step on her, and she would instantly die. How can you have a romantic environment at all like that? Her voice would sound so high-pitched to him... She would be a literal bug.

Same except for the part about the veilspuns. It's kind of difficult for my clan since the main couple (my progens) are a fae and a guardian, and I just don't see that working out...

Like he could step on her, and she would instantly die. How can you have a romantic environment at all like that? Her voice would sound so high-pitched to him... She would be a literal bug.
LGBT+  Progress Queer

Nonbinary They/She
xx4VlncxY.png xx uPOLOvt.png
SV9CXSe.png
5hF3FGk.png
YMPbu9R.png
[img]https://i.imgur.com/WubUhB4.png[/img] i made a height chart for my own reference a while back. ;v; i definitely take canon sizes into account, but i don't take them as gospel.
WubUhB4.png

i made a height chart for my own reference a while back. ;v; i definitely take canon sizes into account, but i don't take them as gospel.
ixS0Z25.png
short answer: yes especially if its funny

i use canon breed sizes (although brought down so they're a little less extreme in my head) when thinking about infrastructure and towns/cities but also within the clan. i also use individual dragon sizes i'm not meticulous about it but oftentimes its funny. my guardian progen can carry around my tundra progen like a purse dog and he can shelter under her legs if he wants and those are both funny images that play into their dynamic. my guardian progen is smaller than a lot of the dragons who defer to her as clan leader which i find interesting. If i don't like a dragon's size then i might ignore it but i generally take it into consideration when deciding what a character dragon's vibe is going to be.
short answer: yes especially if its funny

i use canon breed sizes (although brought down so they're a little less extreme in my head) when thinking about infrastructure and towns/cities but also within the clan. i also use individual dragon sizes i'm not meticulous about it but oftentimes its funny. my guardian progen can carry around my tundra progen like a purse dog and he can shelter under her legs if he wants and those are both funny images that play into their dynamic. my guardian progen is smaller than a lot of the dragons who defer to her as clan leader which i find interesting. If i don't like a dragon's size then i might ignore it but i generally take it into consideration when deciding what a character dragon's vibe is going to be.
9hqcHsy.png pAONOEc.png Of9K8xp.png
WYxPUv8.png G8AyR6r.png Y9A2W9I.png
V7wUqxW.png DoQJ9XF.png ObKos1f.png
6YtLZau.png LGvol4P.png oTHkN8q.png
2iKXjpB.png l8NOdbs.png