Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Anyone not vibing with the lore lately?
1 2 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10 11
I’ve never read this site’s lore and don’t intend to. It doesn’t interest me.
I’ve never read this site’s lore and don’t intend to. It doesn’t interest me.
HpBICfc.gif
» about me
» commissions
Aether lore is THE BEST. I love those paper-eating goofballs.

TBH I'm just glad we're not doing genocide/colonialism with the Beastclans anymore, that had been bothering me since I started playing and made me ignore most site lore.
Aether lore is THE BEST. I love those paper-eating goofballs.

TBH I'm just glad we're not doing genocide/colonialism with the Beastclans anymore, that had been bothering me since I started playing and made me ignore most site lore.
pings off | plz no random friend requests/PMs/profile comments
I only read the encyclopaedia pages and clearly that has resulted in a different idea of what these breeds are…

What’s so silly about your entire world crashing down from orbit, likely destroying everything you ever loved? Aethers are cute and curious, sure, but they’re also coping with life in a totally new environment after generations separated from other dragons. I’d say there’s plenty of angst potential there.

Ironically I seem to have gotten the vibe that Sandsurges were quite insular and unfriendly? They hate oversight and management, so they probably are just awful to work with, plus they’re both strong and smart so they’d be like that guy that’s just good at everything. Irritating. Insufferable geniuses.

Maybe I just have a higher silliness threshold.
I only read the encyclopaedia pages and clearly that has resulted in a different idea of what these breeds are…

What’s so silly about your entire world crashing down from orbit, likely destroying everything you ever loved? Aethers are cute and curious, sure, but they’re also coping with life in a totally new environment after generations separated from other dragons. I’d say there’s plenty of angst potential there.

Ironically I seem to have gotten the vibe that Sandsurges were quite insular and unfriendly? They hate oversight and management, so they probably are just awful to work with, plus they’re both strong and smart so they’d be like that guy that’s just good at everything. Irritating. Insufferable geniuses.

Maybe I just have a higher silliness threshold.
7eb73ea7ba19f787490a57822f0ee4885760d03e.png
I was hoping that Sandsurge were gonna be cool anarchist dragons, but y'know, that isn't stopping anyone from simply making their Sandsurge a cool anarchist. Reject site lore make your own
I was hoping that Sandsurge were gonna be cool anarchist dragons, but y'know, that isn't stopping anyone from simply making their Sandsurge a cool anarchist. Reject site lore make your own
As with everything, different people like different things so I can’t look at the new ancient lore and say that it’s “worse” than the other ancient lore.

That said, I don’t like it. I really don’t like it. It doesn’t mean it’s bad, it just means that it doesn’t suit my tastes at all. I was incredibly disappointed by the aether lore, Arcane is my flight and I was hoping for something that was taken seriously. I know lots of people see Arcane as the “goofy” flight, which is fine, but if the lore were taken seriously there would be something to take seriously about the flight. Or something like that.

Same with sandsurges, I also hoped they would be cool anarchist dragons, but no luck.

With both stories the potential for taking the concept seriously is there. Any one story can be a serious story with its silly moments. Both stories leaned too far into the silliness for my taste. Sometime in the near future, I’ll probably do a rewrite of both stories to fit my tastes better and to use in my own lore. I was following the lore with the other ancients but the new ones just won’t work as it is.
As with everything, different people like different things so I can’t look at the new ancient lore and say that it’s “worse” than the other ancient lore.

That said, I don’t like it. I really don’t like it. It doesn’t mean it’s bad, it just means that it doesn’t suit my tastes at all. I was incredibly disappointed by the aether lore, Arcane is my flight and I was hoping for something that was taken seriously. I know lots of people see Arcane as the “goofy” flight, which is fine, but if the lore were taken seriously there would be something to take seriously about the flight. Or something like that.

Same with sandsurges, I also hoped they would be cool anarchist dragons, but no luck.

With both stories the potential for taking the concept seriously is there. Any one story can be a serious story with its silly moments. Both stories leaned too far into the silliness for my taste. Sometime in the near future, I’ll probably do a rewrite of both stories to fit my tastes better and to use in my own lore. I was following the lore with the other ancients but the new ones just won’t work as it is.

Rein
She/Her
FR+1
secret message! secret message! in the signature!
secret, secret, secret, secret message!
right_ghosty.gif
80247290.png
"One day you will be old enough to
start reading fairytales again."
[quote name="Aserein" date="2023-08-01 07:50:15" ] As with everything, different people like different things so I can’t look at the new ancient lore and say that it’s “worse” than the other ancient lore. That said, I don’t like it. I really don’t like it. It doesn’t mean it’s bad, it just means that it doesn’t suit my tastes at all. I was incredibly disappointed by the aether lore, Arcane is my flight and I was hoping for something that was taken seriously. I know lots of people see Arcane as the “goofy” flight, which is fine, but if the lore were taken seriously there would be something to take seriously about the flight. Or something like that. Same with sandsurges, I also hoped they would be cool anarchist dragons, but no luck. With both stories the potential for taking the concept seriously is there. Any one story can be a serious story with its silly moments. Both stories leaned too far into the silliness for my taste. Sometime in the near future, I’ll probably do a rewrite of both stories to fit my tastes better and to use in my own lore. I was following the lore with the other ancients but the new ones just won’t work as it is. [/quote] Yeah I def feel like the same person probably wrote both based on the silliness vibe which is weird because when you read Sandsurges encyclopedia lore they don't seem very silly
Aserein wrote on 2023-08-01 07:50:15:

Yeah I def feel like the same person probably wrote both based on the silliness vibe which is weird because when you read Sandsurges encyclopedia lore they don't seem very silly
The Aethers were perfect, the chaotic-ness fit them and their flight really well. I have nothing bad to say with how the Aethers were done.

But the Sandsurges, I agree with the Sandsurges in that they were lacking in their story. I was expecting something similar to the Veilspuns and Abberations, especially with how they physically function, but to see them being all civilized in their little area and somehow being mind-numbingly normal, it was just a major disappointment to me. The story didn't even mention the whole deal with the Sanctum being built over. And in the GIF, it looked like they were perhaps destroying the node, or at least replacing it, but no? Big greedy moderns were just caving in the Sandsurge space below? No big ol' rebellion against Stormcatcher? It feels like they were trying to be unnecessarily silly and chill with this beautiful breed.

I do hope we get something more on the "beastly monstrous dragons being found/finding a group of poor moderns" end with Nature's breed.
The Aethers were perfect, the chaotic-ness fit them and their flight really well. I have nothing bad to say with how the Aethers were done.

But the Sandsurges, I agree with the Sandsurges in that they were lacking in their story. I was expecting something similar to the Veilspuns and Abberations, especially with how they physically function, but to see them being all civilized in their little area and somehow being mind-numbingly normal, it was just a major disappointment to me. The story didn't even mention the whole deal with the Sanctum being built over. And in the GIF, it looked like they were perhaps destroying the node, or at least replacing it, but no? Big greedy moderns were just caving in the Sandsurge space below? No big ol' rebellion against Stormcatcher? It feels like they were trying to be unnecessarily silly and chill with this beautiful breed.

I do hope we get something more on the "beastly monstrous dragons being found/finding a group of poor moderns" end with Nature's breed.
ImLwTCX.pngNew_Ice_Banner.png Hello! Call me Crazy or Panda.
-I accept friend requests if I know you
-She/They
-A gamer and artist
-FR time +2
New_Ice_Banner.pngImLwTCX.png
I have not read either yet, I'm doing it right now but I'm very fascinated by the small lore tidbits that are important to me. Sure, there's goofiness in the portion of Aether lore that I did read and they are silly little guys, but I'm very fond of some details that have been given to us through these stories since the start of BoTE. For example, we now know that dragons are warm-blooded due to the Gaoler story. We know that dragons sweat, according to the Sandsurge story. We also know that large breeds/species use their strength and size for construction and transport of material. We also know from this new story that Dragonkind has complex facial muscles for expression similar to that of mammals (Faes being the odd ones out due to their cultural gestures, not anatomy), it's also really nice to see how tradition, knowledge and experience develops within different species/breeds who grow up in different territories. "Maybe we should unionise" sent me Edit: I have now read the Sandsurge lore and it's so normal that it's likely my favourite so far. I think we all need to stop expecting constant epics of grandiose proportions and actually take a look at the normal, everyday lives of dragon society. Sure, it's not a huge war taking down tens of thousands, it's not regicide, dethroning or familial disputes, it's not a mystical order bent on planetary destruction, it's not a cult or a grand magic plot, but it's still a necessary tidbit of lore that explains how the interconnections and infrastructure of Dragonkind society work. I appreciate that. I'm imagining completely dust-covered Kreg standing there in front of his crew and facing the surface trio like this [img]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/1037744193331793931/1135970805180805222/fetchimage.png[/img] I'm fond of "Sandsurgian", that's a good word
I have not read either yet, I'm doing it right now but I'm very fascinated by the small lore tidbits that are important to me. Sure, there's goofiness in the portion of Aether lore that I did read and they are silly little guys, but I'm very fond of some details that have been given to us through these stories since the start of BoTE.

For example, we now know that dragons are warm-blooded due to the Gaoler story. We know that dragons sweat, according to the Sandsurge story. We also know that large breeds/species use their strength and size for construction and transport of material. We also know from this new story that Dragonkind has complex facial muscles for expression similar to that of mammals (Faes being the odd ones out due to their cultural gestures, not anatomy), it's also really nice to see how tradition, knowledge and experience develops within different species/breeds who grow up in different territories.

"Maybe we should unionise" sent me

Edit: I have now read the Sandsurge lore and it's so normal that it's likely my favourite so far. I think we all need to stop expecting constant epics of grandiose proportions and actually take a look at the normal, everyday lives of dragon society. Sure, it's not a huge war taking down tens of thousands, it's not regicide, dethroning or familial disputes, it's not a mystical order bent on planetary destruction, it's not a cult or a grand magic plot, but it's still a necessary tidbit of lore that explains how the interconnections and infrastructure of Dragonkind society work. I appreciate that. I'm imagining completely dust-covered Kreg standing there in front of his crew and facing the surface trio like this

fetchimage.png

I'm fond of "Sandsurgian", that's a good word
Link to art shopLink to skin shopImage depicting a large blue crab carrying produce on their back, its purpose being a background element for the signatureLink to a personal log thread containing various different links, information and sources
[quote name="Panarow" date="2023-07-31 19:25:26" ] Okay yes I came here to say just this; is it not weird to the dragons or creatures within Sorenith that there are like just 20 other new sentient species on a supposedly well traveled planet? It would be like people discovering other types of people every few years and its like huh they were just hiding hehe. So yeah instead of new to the world new to the players because I'm just starting to ignore the site lore reintroducing a species into my lore is becoming a pain in the ass. [/quote] Yeah, same. I kept the "newly discovered species" angle with aethers, because the idea of them suddenly crash-landing in lil spaceships* was really cute. But for undertides and sandsurges I'm just retconning it so they were here all along. * this is not exactly site lore either but I'm changing it to suit my own lore. My vague idea, which is not written down anywhere but this post, is there was a generation ship of aethers which fell into a brutal civil war, and at some point a bunch of aether eggs were jettisoned in escape pods to save them from the conflict, and wound up crash-landing all over the world
Panarow wrote on 2023-07-31 19:25:26:
Okay yes I came here to say just this; is it not weird to the dragons or creatures within Sorenith that there are like just 20 other new sentient species on a supposedly well traveled planet?

It would be like people discovering other types of people every few years and its like huh they were just hiding hehe. So yeah instead of new to the world new to the players because I'm just starting to ignore the site lore reintroducing a species into my lore is becoming a pain in the ***.
Yeah, same. I kept the "newly discovered species" angle with aethers, because the idea of them suddenly crash-landing in lil spaceships* was really cute. But for undertides and sandsurges I'm just retconning it so they were here all along.

* this is not exactly site lore either but I'm changing it to suit my own lore. My vague idea, which is not written down anywhere but this post, is there was a generation ship of aethers which fell into a brutal civil war, and at some point a bunch of aether eggs were jettisoned in escape pods to save them from the conflict, and wound up crash-landing all over the world
Bubbly Buddy Razanei Lineage Project
Virtual Hibden
Breed Out the Ugly Challenge (Koi Edition)
Aether lore being silly makes sense. They look silly, the teaser was silly, Arcane itself tends to have some silliness around it.

Sandsurge lore didn't come off as silly other than "they unionized lol" to me, but it does feel a little lacking.

Maybe the Nature ancient will feel more serious? We'll have to wait and see.
Aether lore being silly makes sense. They look silly, the teaser was silly, Arcane itself tends to have some silliness around it.

Sandsurge lore didn't come off as silly other than "they unionized lol" to me, but it does feel a little lacking.

Maybe the Nature ancient will feel more serious? We'll have to wait and see.
j0lGliX.png
she/her
FR+3
1 2 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10 11