Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Anyone not vibing with the lore lately?
1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
I avoid all of this by just ignoring 95% of the site lore, so I had no idea there was anything not to vibe with.
I avoid all of this by just ignoring 95% of the site lore, so I had no idea there was anything not to vibe with.
J7D1quC.png
CfG2LT1.png
XP7djFk.png
WKtl2lb.png
ll0CfnD.png
YMPbu9R.png
i don't think i have a huge opinion on the lore because its not something youre [b][i]really[/i][/b] required to interact with tbh and i'm not particularly interested to be,,, completely honest,,, also- [quote name="GODHEX" date="2023-07-31 18:53:05" ] i think with how generally depressing the world has been as of late, this game having some funny lore bits of escapism is good and fun. [/quote] that's why im playing the game in general. just to vibe and to escape from my irl stresses into a lil dragon world where i just do my own thing with what time and resources i have. its just too stressful and tiring sometimes to even involve yourself in consuming/interacting with a media if its going to reflect irl things that threaten or harm you or others. i do enjoy angst and such in other media that i choose to watch.. so really in my opinion FR is kinda a good in-between that you have the option to sorta ignore lore or you can commit yourself to it. or work between it or whatever you choose to do with it. i think having the possibility of disconnecting from it instead of having it be required to read and interact with to progress (such as in dappervolk's main story) is a good thing. anyway all this to say i read the lore on occasion but i never rlly not vibed or vibed with it. basically: [quote name="Snek" date="2023-08-01 11:38:49" ] I avoid all of this by just ignoring 95% of the site lore, [/quote]
i don't think i have a huge opinion on the lore because its not something youre really required to interact with tbh and i'm not particularly interested to be,,, completely honest,,,

also-
GODHEX wrote on 2023-07-31 18:53:05:
i think with how generally depressing the world has been as of late, this game having some funny lore bits of escapism is good and fun.

that's why im playing the game in general. just to vibe and to escape from my irl stresses into a lil dragon world where i just do my own thing with what time and resources i have.

its just too stressful and tiring sometimes to even involve yourself in consuming/interacting with a media if its going to reflect irl things that threaten or harm you or others.

i do enjoy angst and such in other media that i choose to watch.. so really in my opinion FR is kinda a good in-between that you have the option to sorta ignore lore or you can commit yourself to it. or work between it or whatever you choose to do with it. i think having the possibility of disconnecting from it instead of having it be required to read and interact with to progress (such as in dappervolk's main story) is a good thing.

anyway all this to say i read the lore on occasion but i never rlly not vibed or vibed with it. basically:
Snek wrote on 2023-08-01 11:38:49:
I avoid all of this by just ignoring 95% of the site lore,
[quote name="Natron" date="2023-08-01 09:08:25" ] Edit: I have now read the Sandsurge lore and it's so normal that it's likely my favourite so far. [b]I think we all need to stop expecting constant epics of grandiose proportions and actually take a look at the normal, everyday lives of dragon society.[/b] Sure, it's not a huge war taking down tens of thousands, it's not regicide, dethroning or familial disputes, it's not a mystical order bent on planetary destruction, it's not a cult or a grand magic plot, but it's still a necessary tidbit of lore that explains how the interconnections and infrastructure of Dragonkind society work. [/quote] So I see this a lot so far and I do want to clarify what me and a few other people who aren't vibing are feeling. It's not that we have an issue with there being normal things, or lore in flight rising. I'd down for that. It's about[b] tone [/b]. For instance, the ending where we got to see the Sandsurges working, if we had more of that before they were disrupted. Or if we got a story just showing the daily life I'd be totally down. It's things like them drilling down, aggressively destroying Kregs pride and joy, and their reaction immediately being like "yeah, yeah whatever anyways how much do you get paid?" That kinda behavior right, doesn't feel [b]normal[/b] to me. It feels very cartoony. Like no apology, noting to say about how they destroyed their entire place instead of drilling a small spot. No concern for the fact they themselves fell in the hole just a punchline. That's what I mean. I mean yes, I do think imagining these dragons trying to sleep and walk around like people looks super goofy because of their body plans. But I'm not opposed to normal daily things. And I don't think every piece of lore [b]has to be edgy either. [/b] But I do get a bit sad, when the lore feels like it has to present something as goofy and playful because of the premise of the situation. Here's an example, you can have fun with the absurdity of the situation, like with PROJECT MANAGER. But you can also have humor that is dry not just bombastic. Aethers being goofy makes sense to me. But the sandsurges lore feels a bit tonely strange. Because I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt that it's okay taking the premise seriously. And it surprises me when it wants to make light of the late stage capitalism commentary. Without much room for commenting on it, or the sandsurges. It's not bad though. I just don't vibe with it. The storytelling doesn't do it for me because of it's tone. Not because it's about "normal life" So yeah, I was vibing more watching the dragons doing their work at the beginning and near the end of the piece. But the overall tone was pretty silly.
Natron wrote on 2023-08-01 09:08:25:
Edit: I have now read the Sandsurge lore and it's so normal that it's likely my favourite so far. I think we all need to stop expecting constant epics of grandiose proportions and actually take a look at the normal, everyday lives of dragon society. Sure, it's not a huge war taking down tens of thousands, it's not regicide, dethroning or familial disputes, it's not a mystical order bent on planetary destruction, it's not a cult or a grand magic plot, but it's still a necessary tidbit of lore that explains how the interconnections and infrastructure of Dragonkind society work.

So I see this a lot so far and I do want to clarify what me and a few other people who aren't vibing are feeling.

It's not that we have an issue with there being normal things, or lore in flight rising. I'd down for that.

It's about tone . For instance, the ending where we got to see the Sandsurges working, if we had more of that before they were disrupted. Or if we got a story just showing the daily life I'd be totally down.

It's things like them drilling down, aggressively destroying Kregs pride and joy, and their reaction immediately being like "yeah, yeah whatever anyways how much do you get paid?"

That kinda behavior right, doesn't feel normal to me. It feels very cartoony. Like no apology, noting to say about how they destroyed their entire place instead of drilling a small spot. No concern for the fact they themselves fell in the hole just a punchline.

That's what I mean.

I mean yes, I do think imagining these dragons trying to sleep and walk around like people looks super goofy because of their body plans.

But I'm not opposed to normal daily things. And I don't think every piece of lore has to be edgy either.

But I do get a bit sad, when the lore feels like it has to present something as goofy and playful because of the premise of the situation.

Here's an example, you can have fun with the absurdity of the situation, like with PROJECT MANAGER.

But you can also have humor that is dry not just bombastic.

Aethers being goofy makes sense to me. But the sandsurges lore feels a bit tonely strange. Because I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt that it's okay taking the premise seriously.

And it surprises me when it wants to make light of the late stage capitalism commentary. Without much room for commenting on it, or the sandsurges.

It's not bad though. I just don't vibe with it. The storytelling doesn't do it for me because of it's tone. Not because it's about "normal life"

So yeah, I was vibing more watching the dragons doing their work at the beginning and near the end of the piece. But the overall tone was pretty silly.
Lately there's something about the lore that's made me uncomfortable, like mentally. The Aethers, silly as they were and as much as I love how they look (amazing appearance and such great genes) left me at ill ease as I read their lore. Like, I laughed, but it was an uncomfortable sort of laughter. I'd been hoping for odd little mad scientists and the lore gave that, but in a way that left me feeling bad on some level.

Sandsurges had the same thing going on - I liked it for being kind of normal, day to day dragon life, but the way the humor was woven in made it feel like the joke was on me - as though making fun of my desire to learn about how dragons live across each of the Eleven Flights.
Lately there's something about the lore that's made me uncomfortable, like mentally. The Aethers, silly as they were and as much as I love how they look (amazing appearance and such great genes) left me at ill ease as I read their lore. Like, I laughed, but it was an uncomfortable sort of laughter. I'd been hoping for odd little mad scientists and the lore gave that, but in a way that left me feeling bad on some level.

Sandsurges had the same thing going on - I liked it for being kind of normal, day to day dragon life, but the way the humor was woven in made it feel like the joke was on me - as though making fun of my desire to learn about how dragons live across each of the Eleven Flights.
Everyone is speaking in terms of personal tastes, but-

1) Ancient Introduction stories have the primary purpose of introducing the ancient

2) Story-telling is a craft and some come out better than others

Very bluntly, the Sandsurge story is not one of the better ancient stories. The point of view characters loom large in such a way that their characters and agenda blot out the details of the new breed instead of illuminating them. The whole core concept of the Sandsurges is that they are the driven star talent types soooo valuable that they get their own space, because Corporate knows you can’t micromanage them, you can’t even watch them, you just hand them their assignment and stand back while they do it their way. That right there is a huge big business archetype, it’s what the breed is about — and it just doesn’t come through, it’s just lost. Instead readers seem to be coming away with a vague idea that the whole thing was about unionizing.

1) Ancient Introduction stories have the primary purpose of introducing the ancient

Very bluntly, the Sandsurge story is not one of the better ancient stories. The point of view characters loom large in such a way that their characters and agenda blot out the details of the new breed instead of illuminating them. The whole core concept of the Sandsurges is that they are the driven star talent types soooo valuable that they get their own space, because Corporate knows you can’t micromanage them, you can’t even watch them, you just hand them their assignment and stand back while they do it their way. That right there is a huge big business archetype, it’s what the breed is about — and it just doesn’t come through, it’s just lost. Instead readers seem to be coming away with a vague idea that the whole thing was about unionizing.
NBJG3D5.gifNBJG3D5.gifNBJG3D5.gifNBJG3D5.gif
We Want Blep! Take Our money! We Want Blep! Take Our Money!

Please note - wonky eyes & busted hands; thanks for help & patience!
[quote name="mothscale" date="2023-08-01 09:33:52" ] [quote name="Renaiwom" date="2023-07-31 14:39:10" ] I think it's also worth considering the whole "the site can't use any lore the players were spitballing during the livestreams" stuff... we could have taken away a really cool angle from the breed for legal reasons [emoji=sandsurge sad size=1]. It could have been cool if the Surges weren't just a construction team- they were also an elite, advanced strike force! But if somebody suggested that during the livestream, [i]the staff couldn't use it[/i]. [/quote] Just going to highlight this, because if people were in fact doing that in the livestream, it does bring a whole host of incredibly fuzzy legal issues. Creators have had to protect themselves from "you stole my idea because I told it to you and then you used it!" lawsuits since forever, whether those lawsuits are valid or not. (Generally, I think the idea from the creator perspectives I've seen is "it doesn't matter how valid this is, I don't have the money/time/energy to get dragged through something like that so I'm going to take more precautions than I might need to.") I don't know if this is speculation or the devs in fact brought it up, but it's something to keep in mind. [/quote] I’m not here to discuss lore or anything I just want to say, as someone in the stream and who floated conceptual ecology for snurges accidentally/without thinking about it (sorry), Aequorin explicitly stated it was not about legal reasons. Rather “creative pollution”, which I believe is the sense that you don’t know where an idea comes from/not being able to view a concept and draw your own conclusions eithout being sure of outside influence? I’m not entirely sure what was meant by Creative Pollution since it could be a lot of things, but I do remember Aequorin (or the other staff writer in stream I’m so sorry sorry I forgot their screenname) specifically using that phrase, and that it had nothing to do with legality. And this is anecdotal, but from my recollection most of what was discussed in the streams was about sandsurge ecology/what their sails were for, stuff like that. I really don’t think this is a case of “dope lore was planned but was disqualified”, especially bc im like…70% sure at least one person mentioned sandsurge sails as thermoregulation, and that made it into their lore. NOT that im accusing staff of lifting anything esp bc 30% is a high uncertainty, just that thats a broad concept and its very likely the writers could and did reach that conclusion on their own. if someone said “theyre warriors”, I dont think the staff wouldve said “okay thats it no warrior dragons” but if someone said “I bet their stormcatchers special ops cyber security team and they live with him in his house and every time someone misuses lightning energy they get an alert sent to their powerpuff girls style hotline phone” the staff would probably have to disable that concept. also ftr, and I don’t think this is what people are talking about in this thread but I saw it mentioned in this post I’m quoting, yes, stories can be Conflictless, or at least lacking conflict in the way that’s taught in a lot of writing workshops. The plot structure Kishotenketsu is an oft-cited example of this, and is arguably the structure of a good few FR stories (Introduction -> Development -> Twist -> Conclusion). again idk how conflict or lack thereof came up, it just occurred to me while I was writing this that the narratives on FR kinda follow that format and I was like “huh. interesting” edit: okay I’ll say one thing about the discovery story, and that’s the fact that it implied earth dragons have minnesota accents bc it truly laid me out like a brick
mothscale wrote on 2023-08-01 09:33:52:
Renaiwom wrote on 2023-07-31 14:39:10:
I think it's also worth considering the whole "the site can't use any lore the players were spitballing during the livestreams" stuff... we could have taken away a really cool angle from the breed for legal reasons . It could have been cool if the Surges weren't just a construction team- they were also an elite, advanced strike force! But if somebody suggested that during the livestream, the staff couldn't use it.
Just going to highlight this, because if people were in fact doing that in the livestream, it does bring a whole host of incredibly fuzzy legal issues. Creators have had to protect themselves from "you stole my idea because I told it to you and then you used it!" lawsuits since forever, whether those lawsuits are valid or not. (Generally, I think the idea from the creator perspectives I've seen is "it doesn't matter how valid this is, I don't have the money/time/energy to get dragged through something like that so I'm going to take more precautions than I might need to.") I don't know if this is speculation or the devs in fact brought it up, but it's something to keep in mind.
I’m not here to discuss lore or anything I just want to say, as someone in the stream and who floated conceptual ecology for snurges accidentally/without thinking about it (sorry), Aequorin explicitly stated it was not about legal reasons. Rather “creative pollution”, which I believe is the sense that you don’t know where an idea comes from/not being able to view a concept and draw your own conclusions eithout being sure of outside influence? I’m not entirely sure what was meant by Creative Pollution since it could be a lot of things, but I do remember Aequorin (or the other staff writer in stream I’m so sorry sorry I forgot their screenname) specifically using that phrase, and that it had nothing to do with legality.

And this is anecdotal, but from my recollection most of what was discussed in the streams was about sandsurge ecology/what their sails were for, stuff like that. I really don’t think this is a case of “dope lore was planned but was disqualified”, especially bc im like…70% sure at least one person mentioned sandsurge sails as thermoregulation, and that made it into their lore. NOT that im accusing staff of lifting anything esp bc 30% is a high uncertainty, just that thats a broad concept and its very likely the writers could and did reach that conclusion on their own. if someone said “theyre warriors”, I dont think the staff wouldve said “okay thats it no warrior dragons” but if someone said “I bet their stormcatchers special ops cyber security team and they live with him in his house and every time someone misuses lightning energy they get an alert sent to their powerpuff girls style hotline phone” the staff would probably have to disable that concept.

also ftr, and I don’t think this is what people are talking about in this thread but I saw it mentioned in this post I’m quoting, yes, stories can be Conflictless, or at least lacking conflict in the way that’s taught in a lot of writing workshops. The plot structure Kishotenketsu is an oft-cited example of this, and is arguably the structure of a good few FR stories (Introduction -> Development -> Twist -> Conclusion). again idk how conflict or lack thereof came up, it just occurred to me while I was writing this that the narratives on FR kinda follow that format and I was like “huh. interesting”

edit: okay I’ll say one thing about the discovery story, and that’s the fact that it implied earth dragons have minnesota accents bc it truly laid me out like a brick
KHUgIpL.gif sMnKARY.png fK5z2eq.gif
[quote name="Aquafilia" date="2023-08-01 19:50:07" ] Everyone is speaking in terms of personal tastes, but- 1) Ancient Introduction stories have the primary purpose of introducing the ancient 2) Story-telling is a craft and some come out better than others Very bluntly, the Sandsurge story is not one of the better ancient stories. The point of view characters loom large in such a way that their characters and agenda blot out the details of the new breed instead of illuminating them. The whole core concept of the Sandsurges is that they are the driven star talent types soooo valuable that they get their own space, because Corporate knows you can’t micromanage them, you can’t even watch them, you just hand them their assignment and stand back while they do it their way. That right there is a huge big business archetype, it’s what the breed is about — and it just doesn’t come through, it’s just lost. Instead readers seem to be coming away with a vague idea that the whole thing was about unionizing. [/quote] Not me looking at my Sandsurge tab thats called "The Union" You bring up a good point here though tbh we didn't even get a POV story from a Sandsurge [emoji=sandsurge sad size=2]
Aquafilia wrote on 2023-08-01 19:50:07:

Not me looking at my Sandsurge tab thats called "The Union"

You bring up a good point here though tbh we didn't even get a POV story from a Sandsurge
Personally I haven't really been into FR lore since my first couple of years on this site. I'm definitely not someone who needs things to be 100% Dark and Edgy all the time, but stuff like the Aether lore is a bit too goofy for my tastes. I don't think there's anything wrong with that, as I'm sure many people like that sort of thing. I'm just not really interested in integrating it into my lore. I'm just happy that not following site lore isn't a rule-breaking offense on here.
Personally I haven't really been into FR lore since my first couple of years on this site. I'm definitely not someone who needs things to be 100% Dark and Edgy all the time, but stuff like the Aether lore is a bit too goofy for my tastes. I don't think there's anything wrong with that, as I'm sure many people like that sort of thing. I'm just not really interested in integrating it into my lore. I'm just happy that not following site lore isn't a rule-breaking offense on here.
39171734.pnguglyplushies.pngsephydragflipped.png
@RheoTastic Not quoting everything, especially as I don't want to accidentally spread misinformation by quoting my debunked theory, but thank you for the explanation, as someone who did not watch the livestream! That makes a lot of sense, and I'm actually really glad they addressed that.

(And, yeah, thermoregulation is actually something that's a common and well-known theory for why extinct synapsids had giant bone sails, so there's some pretty concrete real-world inspiration there unrelated to anything like creative pollution.)
@RheoTastic Not quoting everything, especially as I don't want to accidentally spread misinformation by quoting my debunked theory, but thank you for the explanation, as someone who did not watch the livestream! That makes a lot of sense, and I'm actually really glad they addressed that.

(And, yeah, thermoregulation is actually something that's a common and well-known theory for why extinct synapsids had giant bone sails, so there's some pretty concrete real-world inspiration there unrelated to anything like creative pollution.)
im fine with goofy lore in concept, but i think that the aether and sandsurge lore has thus far been boring and forgettable, which is a worse thing to be than silly and stupid. i could not tell you a single thing about aethers aside from that they eat paper? i dont know

i could go either way for serious/silly, and i think that having serious lore has its own problems in execution (they literally just did a lore revamp regarding the beastclans). really i don't mind but it has to at least grab my attention yknow

disclaimer personal opinion etc. etc.
im fine with goofy lore in concept, but i think that the aether and sandsurge lore has thus far been boring and forgettable, which is a worse thing to be than silly and stupid. i could not tell you a single thing about aethers aside from that they eat paper? i dont know

i could go either way for serious/silly, and i think that having serious lore has its own problems in execution (they literally just did a lore revamp regarding the beastclans). really i don't mind but it has to at least grab my attention yknow

disclaimer personal opinion etc. etc.
Bluefin Charger Fin » cal
» he/they
» FR+0
___________________________________________ Q5wOe0Z.gif
1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11