Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | [MAP][ART] The Behemoth IS the Labyrinth
1 2 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 21 22
@gn0me Aww heck yeah. For some reason I thought Lightning hated magnets, polly because of that one Tomo question/tooltip ([item=magnetite]) but...if they hate magnets, how are they getting continuous current? Like do they really get that much lightning. There's no way they've reached capacitors without figuring out that it's electroMAGNETISM somewhere en route. Right? Of course, it's also really funny to imagine tempest engineers hating ferric materials [i]so[/i] much that they establish an entire branch of technology just to get that heathen metal out of their pristine, coppery dirt (cue [i] I used the magnetite to destroy the magnetite[/i]). I love the expectation swap of Light's caves being absolutely blinding brilliant. I could see them working a lot of pyrite into things too, sort of a natural chaotic reflector. I'm sure Nature would want in on optic technology...I mentioned sun tunnels somewhere on this thread. I wonder if the presence of light as a concept is enough to render the tunnel "claimed" according to dragons (being elemental beings), no eldritch monstrosities necessary? Imagining a bunch of Shadow dragons fury-squawking and waving their arms to spook off light dragons hauling in a fiber optic cable... Also you gotta wonder how many emperors Lightweaver's buried over the years. I could see them sweeping some things under the geologic rug, as it were. Okay, the notion of magic itself as a shaper of the land...yes please...I am brimming with dumb ideas now. Also I love the crystals being "imbued" over time. Flamingo crystals! But really, the idea of magic as a material arising from somewhere in the core and floating upwards...genius, thank you, brings an entirely unique form of land development for Arcane! Just a few possibilities caused by the buildup of ?magical vapor? (?ether?): [img]https://i.imgur.com/KV3uUgS.png[/img] Real iffy on the geyser though, I have no reason to think buildup of ?mana gas? (seriously, what to call it...) would boil water. But maybe it COULD affect some other sort of change. Mmm, non-Euclidean water. Anyways, I noticed a "lore whining days" thread just recently that seems to have a solid community of lore people, so I'm asking if that includes filthy stinkin worldbuilders :D actual worldbuilding pinglists are a bust thus far still. I do put a lot of my stuff over on the lorebook wiki, but it's not stunningly active, I'll admit. [b]Excellent[/b] subspecies, love how you've woven them into all the different incarnations of magma/lava in the territory! Every image works beautifully, and I feel like the lore is all plausible. You're more than welcome to use the visuals, only wish I knew how to draw lava as more than little streams of [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/frd/2985386#post_2985386]neon cheese[/url] :| I just wish it was easier to find fantastic writeups like yours. It never occurred to me what a natural conduit for worldbuilding a subspecies is...
@gn0me

Aww heck yeah. For some reason I thought Lightning hated magnets, polly because of that one Tomo question/tooltip ( Magnetite ) but...if they hate magnets, how are they getting continuous current? Like do they really get that much lightning. There's no way they've reached capacitors without figuring out that it's electroMAGNETISM somewhere en route. Right? Of course, it's also really funny to imagine tempest engineers hating ferric materials so much that they establish an entire branch of technology just to get that heathen metal out of their pristine, coppery dirt (cue I used the magnetite to destroy the magnetite).

I love the expectation swap of Light's caves being absolutely blinding brilliant. I could see them working a lot of pyrite into things too, sort of a natural chaotic reflector. I'm sure Nature would want in on optic technology...I mentioned sun tunnels somewhere on this thread. I wonder if the presence of light as a concept is enough to render the tunnel "claimed" according to dragons (being elemental beings), no eldritch monstrosities necessary? Imagining a bunch of Shadow dragons fury-squawking and waving their arms to spook off light dragons hauling in a fiber optic cable...

Also you gotta wonder how many emperors Lightweaver's buried over the years. I could see them sweeping some things under the geologic rug, as it were.

Okay, the notion of magic itself as a shaper of the land...yes please...I am brimming with dumb ideas now. Also I love the crystals being "imbued" over time. Flamingo crystals! But really, the idea of magic as a material arising from somewhere in the core and floating upwards...genius, thank you, brings an entirely unique form of land development for Arcane! Just a few possibilities caused by the buildup of ?magical vapor? (?ether?):
KV3uUgS.png

Real iffy on the geyser though, I have no reason to think buildup of ?mana gas? (seriously, what to call it...) would boil water. But maybe it COULD affect some other sort of change. Mmm, non-Euclidean water.

Anyways, I noticed a "lore whining days" thread just recently that seems to have a solid community of lore people, so I'm asking if that includes filthy stinkin worldbuilders :D actual worldbuilding pinglists are a bust thus far still. I do put a lot of my stuff over on the lorebook wiki, but it's not stunningly active, I'll admit.

Excellent subspecies, love how you've woven them into all the different incarnations of magma/lava in the territory! Every image works beautifully, and I feel like the lore is all plausible. You're more than welcome to use the visuals, only wish I knew how to draw lava as more than little streams of neon cheese :| I just wish it was easier to find fantastic writeups like yours. It never occurred to me what a natural conduit for worldbuilding a subspecies is...
cL9yafY.gif
Have you or a loved one ever been dying to know what moss pods look like? No? Too bad, art update [img]https://i.imgur.com/UxI7W9O.png[/img]
Have you or a loved one ever been dying to know what moss pods look like? No? Too bad, art update

UxI7W9O.png
cL9yafY.gif
Oh dang. That's a really cool theory. Any other Guild Wars players here? Makes me think of Mordremoth.
Oh dang. That's a really cool theory. Any other Guild Wars players here? Makes me think of Mordremoth.
Please help me raise my Dragon Cave hatchlings and hatch my eggs by viewing and clicking on them. :D (A big thank you to everyone who has already helped!)
@Oranitha "if they hate magnets, how are they getting continuous current?"

Chemistry?
Massive storage systems capturing those massive Lightning caused impulses?
Just cos we can't do it on Earth (yet?) doesn't mean they haven't already mastered it on Sornieth (magic lol)

I'm curious about Lightning hating magnets... where did that idea come from?
(It's 2 years since I first read site lore, and that was mainly BotE, so please forgive me what I've forgotten/missed, I can't see anything Flight specific in the Encyclopedia, only breed specific)
@Oranitha "if they hate magnets, how are they getting continuous current?"

Chemistry?
Massive storage systems capturing those massive Lightning caused impulses?
Just cos we can't do it on Earth (yet?) doesn't mean they haven't already mastered it on Sornieth (magic lol)

I'm curious about Lightning hating magnets... where did that idea come from?
(It's 2 years since I first read site lore, and that was mainly BotE, so please forgive me what I've forgotten/missed, I can't see anything Flight specific in the Encyclopedia, only breed specific)
qDkA25S.png
My guess is the hating magnets thing came from magnetic interference from the surrounding area, especially if other magnets or magnetic materials are being used.
My guess is the hating magnets thing came from magnetic interference from the surrounding area, especially if other magnets or magnetic materials are being used.
cfa4eab0-1638-11eb-9b4b-e1371d599c63.gifUntitled304.pngFRArtIcon.pngFR_UMA_Icon.pngFRNestIcon.png
~ Luck of the Best Bois ~ FR+3 She/her
@gn0me If you'd prefer Lightning to be able to do what they do without magnetism, it does work just fine! And I believe the closest to canon answer is "they really do generate that much lightning." The various map locations seem to describe farms, sure, as well as veritable forests of conduits and destinations. But as you yourself just said, that doesn't actually imply the use of magnets--I only asked that rhetorically, in support of you bringing the idea of magnetism up.

As for the "them hating magnets", as I said, the idea for me presumably came from that tooltip and the fact it's further canonized to a Tomo question. There's not a lot of FR lore, and I don't know how other folks do it, but I do kind of scrape anything I can get. Unless the question was about the tooltip directly, in which case: magnetite is a ferrimagnetic material, it has a natural magnetic field. I like Mirage's take that it could be because Lightning's using magnets already, but on the science side, I can also say that a changing magnetic field interferes with the flow of electricity. Vice versa as well; the motion of electrons generates a field. So it could also be that they're sick and tired of this nonsense happening. But the interplay of magnets and wire is how we generate quite a lot of our own power.
@gn0me If you'd prefer Lightning to be able to do what they do without magnetism, it does work just fine! And I believe the closest to canon answer is "they really do generate that much lightning." The various map locations seem to describe farms, sure, as well as veritable forests of conduits and destinations. But as you yourself just said, that doesn't actually imply the use of magnets--I only asked that rhetorically, in support of you bringing the idea of magnetism up.

As for the "them hating magnets", as I said, the idea for me presumably came from that tooltip and the fact it's further canonized to a Tomo question. There's not a lot of FR lore, and I don't know how other folks do it, but I do kind of scrape anything I can get. Unless the question was about the tooltip directly, in which case: magnetite is a ferrimagnetic material, it has a natural magnetic field. I like Mirage's take that it could be because Lightning's using magnets already, but on the science side, I can also say that a changing magnetic field interferes with the flow of electricity. Vice versa as well; the motion of electrons generates a field. So it could also be that they're sick and tired of this nonsense happening. But the interplay of magnets and wire is how we generate quite a lot of our own power.
cL9yafY.gif
Rambling about sunken suns

I've been thinking on darkness in the rootbed; I think I mentioned the parasite jungle's inspired by whalefalls, but I have been kind of subconsciously? thinking of the rootbed as layered by the ocean, specifically the benthic (sea floor) layers. But overall, the rootbed is a lot less dark. Mostly. Possibly. The Barrens are dark as heck of course, and I do like the thought of light getting more scarce as you travel deeper/things get weirder. But I imagine this is more to do with the gradual reduction in "easy" sources of light.

The upper layers are fed by concealed skylights, clever mirror arrays, unconcealed skylights (read: giant sinkholes), light tunnels, etc. Unlike the ocean, the reduction in light isn't caused by a gradual thickening in what's above you, roots and rocks just sort of...block 100% of light, there you go. Dragons (and others) have to bring the light with them, and it takes less effort to bring permanent light a shorter distance. The deeper you go, the less-developed (and thus darker) the rootbed, and it's actually a lot to do with the terrain itself, with the upper rootbed being less claustrophobic than below (where the Behemoth is actively "digging").

Where am I going with all this? Well, one day, you're wandering the rootbed when you notice that the psuedo-bathyal area is lookin a bit more, how you say, sublittoral. You follow the gradient of plantlife down and down, through twisting corridors overgrown with pads of moss so thick they remind you of the surface. And sure enough, you start to feel that familiar warmth on your skin, and the corridor ahead is all washed in yellow-gold..."sunken suns" are presumably pilfered from Light, but they're sort of giant lightglobes that were rolled down into the deep rootbed to act as light- and life-giving community centers in ages long past. Some may have communities still, separated from the rest of dragonkind by such a maze of dark, twisting passages that folks just don't bother leaving. I'm just not sure how much more obscure life the rootbeds need. I mean, I'm a Nature stereotype, so the more the merrier, but storytelling-wise.

Now that most folks have stopped reading my rambling I can safely admit that I'd lowkey love to run a one-off GM'd RP about dragons exploring the rootbed.
Rambling about sunken suns

I've been thinking on darkness in the rootbed; I think I mentioned the parasite jungle's inspired by whalefalls, but I have been kind of subconsciously? thinking of the rootbed as layered by the ocean, specifically the benthic (sea floor) layers. But overall, the rootbed is a lot less dark. Mostly. Possibly. The Barrens are dark as heck of course, and I do like the thought of light getting more scarce as you travel deeper/things get weirder. But I imagine this is more to do with the gradual reduction in "easy" sources of light.

The upper layers are fed by concealed skylights, clever mirror arrays, unconcealed skylights (read: giant sinkholes), light tunnels, etc. Unlike the ocean, the reduction in light isn't caused by a gradual thickening in what's above you, roots and rocks just sort of...block 100% of light, there you go. Dragons (and others) have to bring the light with them, and it takes less effort to bring permanent light a shorter distance. The deeper you go, the less-developed (and thus darker) the rootbed, and it's actually a lot to do with the terrain itself, with the upper rootbed being less claustrophobic than below (where the Behemoth is actively "digging").

Where am I going with all this? Well, one day, you're wandering the rootbed when you notice that the psuedo-bathyal area is lookin a bit more, how you say, sublittoral. You follow the gradient of plantlife down and down, through twisting corridors overgrown with pads of moss so thick they remind you of the surface. And sure enough, you start to feel that familiar warmth on your skin, and the corridor ahead is all washed in yellow-gold..."sunken suns" are presumably pilfered from Light, but they're sort of giant lightglobes that were rolled down into the deep rootbed to act as light- and life-giving community centers in ages long past. Some may have communities still, separated from the rest of dragonkind by such a maze of dark, twisting passages that folks just don't bother leaving. I'm just not sure how much more obscure life the rootbeds need. I mean, I'm a Nature stereotype, so the more the merrier, but storytelling-wise.

Now that most folks have stopped reading my rambling I can safely admit that I'd lowkey love to run a one-off GM'd RP about dragons exploring the rootbed.
cL9yafY.gif
@MiragetheShadow that was my idea too, magnetic interference with their experiments/inventions

@Oranitha such as this invention I'm sure they have/are working on (found it a couple of videos down from your link)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9b0J29OzAU

So, Lightning tunnels are surely mag-lev (and mag-prop) train tunnels ;)
(oh that's magnetic levitation and propulsion btw)

"Now that most folks have stopped reading my rambling I can safely admit that I'd lowkey love to run a one-off GM'd RP about dragons exploring the rootbed."

Would that be something for next GG or sooner?
Loreka is running a CYOA atm, would it go something like that?
I'm really enjoying the CYOA but one week is really short for RP... we're just getting to know the members in our team and the event is on it's last day!
Perhaps a longer/slower RP could develop something CYOA-able for next GG though?
Like... we could just get lost down there until next GG rolls around by which time there should be enough material for a really rockin world to explore, I mean what if those Lightning trains are buzzing past down there somewhere? We could end up all over Sornieth in no time!
@MiragetheShadow that was my idea too, magnetic interference with their experiments/inventions

@Oranitha such as this invention I'm sure they have/are working on (found it a couple of videos down from your link)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9b0J29OzAU

So, Lightning tunnels are surely mag-lev (and mag-prop) train tunnels ;)
(oh that's magnetic levitation and propulsion btw)

"Now that most folks have stopped reading my rambling I can safely admit that I'd lowkey love to run a one-off GM'd RP about dragons exploring the rootbed."

Would that be something for next GG or sooner?
Loreka is running a CYOA atm, would it go something like that?
I'm really enjoying the CYOA but one week is really short for RP... we're just getting to know the members in our team and the event is on it's last day!
Perhaps a longer/slower RP could develop something CYOA-able for next GG though?
Like... we could just get lost down there until next GG rolls around by which time there should be enough material for a really rockin world to explore, I mean what if those Lightning trains are buzzing past down there somewhere? We could end up all over Sornieth in no time!
qDkA25S.png
@Oranitha I've been lurking a long time, but, the sunken sun idea is so good. I love it!
@Oranitha I've been lurking a long time, but, the sunken sun idea is so good. I love it!
PSBwR9r.png
@gn0me Weirdly, I have a history of text adventures on FR, so my first instinct would be something like that, essentially a communal text adventure game.

To take it to full RP, I'd prolly take a page from Loreka's CYOA and do a team-based system, so everyone gets space to roleplay, but I don't have to track 20 consecutive plot threads.

So essentially, a text-based adventure with teams that RP amongst themselves and vote on a single action to do as a team, though of course that action could involve the individual members (ex: Billy and I hold off the swarm of plague crustoids with our torch while Loretta rolls a boulder down onto them). As for the "when", it'd be when there's sufficient interest--could easily happen multiple times, or with a more fleshed-out system later! I'm a lifelong forever DM, so like, short of an Earthen apocalypse, I'm prolly game to do things whenever:tm:.

The logistic issue of course is striking while the iron's kind of hot. Like, okay, I'm weirdly passionate about developing non-canon cavern systems beneath a fictional faction on a browser-based dragon breeding sim, but I do have to admit that the core pool of likeminded folks isn't the largest (there are dozens of us! dozens!), so I'd be kind of nervous that, come a year later, there won't be as much interest :[
@gn0me Weirdly, I have a history of text adventures on FR, so my first instinct would be something like that, essentially a communal text adventure game.

To take it to full RP, I'd prolly take a page from Loreka's CYOA and do a team-based system, so everyone gets space to roleplay, but I don't have to track 20 consecutive plot threads.

So essentially, a text-based adventure with teams that RP amongst themselves and vote on a single action to do as a team, though of course that action could involve the individual members (ex: Billy and I hold off the swarm of plague crustoids with our torch while Loretta rolls a boulder down onto them). As for the "when", it'd be when there's sufficient interest--could easily happen multiple times, or with a more fleshed-out system later! I'm a lifelong forever DM, so like, short of an Earthen apocalypse, I'm prolly game to do things whenever:tm:.

The logistic issue of course is striking while the iron's kind of hot. Like, okay, I'm weirdly passionate about developing non-canon cavern systems beneath a fictional faction on a browser-based dragon breeding sim, but I do have to admit that the core pool of likeminded folks isn't the largest (there are dozens of us! dozens!), so I'd be kind of nervous that, come a year later, there won't be as much interest :[
cL9yafY.gif
1 2 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 21 22