Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | [ART][LORE] Fire Architecture
1 2 3 4
So me and the excellent @Perrydotto were talking worldbuilding, and the topic of Fire Flight came out. In my opinion, Fire's not received quite as much lore love as deserved, but as Perrydotto pointed out, they're actually a really interesting Flight--they've got this tension between tradition and progress, so they're sort of between Earth and Lightning while still being totally their own thing. We started talking architecture. Now, an obvious approach would be metal, chains, and forges, and I think that makes fair sense for, y'know, larger settlements with a metallurgical focus, but what about a bit more variety? Perrydotto pointed out that folks in volcanic areas have to be ready to [i]move[/i] and resettle, especially given that Fire's territory is canonically geologically unstable. Now, what's a material that's sturdy, inexpensive, relatively quick to build with? Ask the Romans--concrete! They themselves used volcanic ash in its manufacture. So push comes to shove and here's my proposal. [center] [img]https://i.imgur.com/vfYXgus.png[/img][/center] Because I don't know any better, I'm calling it Volcanic Protobrutalism. It's supposed to exist somewhere between Brutalism (chosen due to Fire's tradition/progress tension and its association with quick constructs--these are buildings of cheap necessity) and Adobe but more open to the air, as I figure Fire shelters exist largely to keep off, say, ash and windstorms. It's buttressed against seismic activity and intended to survive limited exposure to lava--you can see how the mountain is sort of creeping up on it to the rear. Perrydotto came up with the additional point that these would be great for letting in plenty of heat from local lava flows, just roll down stormcovers or shutters or something when the ash comes. Fire dragons may well spend pleasant spells heatbasking. The concrete itself would be pretty reasonable to produce. We've canon got lavawheels for grinding, and the ready availability of ash, slag, volcanic springs, and/or seawater would go a nice long way towards production, including onsite production. It wouldn't even surprise me if there's some additional Fire twist--could they use lava itself in the process? Who knows! Not my specialty by any means. Anyways, any slumpiness in the art is on me, I really should've sketched this prior to painting or used a ruler or something, I imagine these buildings are actually pretty precise. And while they [i]are[/i] featureless on their own, many would be decorated, preferably with removable items like weather-resistant decorative hangings and potted plants. Volcanic ash is great for plants--you might not be able to raise all your food onsite, but I'm sure you could get a few fruit trees and herbs at least. On a meta level, part of the goal's to make sure this architecture doesn't look like any other Flight's. So like, I think it'd also be reasonable for Fire dragons to directly channel lava to shape homes from, but the resulting houses might look Earth-ish, unless you want to go "slag yurt" (which could be awesome). Nothing wrong with Earth-y, just want some unique non-shanty flavor. Aight, that's all I've got! I'm not remotely in Fire flight nor do I speak for it in any sense, I just thought Fire is neat and deserves more lore [s]and non-shanty architecture[/s]. Oh, this is very tenuously related, but I'm planning a big lore thing. Might happen, might not. If you like lore and want pinged if it happens, let me know. EDIT: Please feel free to use the image/ideas in this post! Thanks to all the folks who asked in the meantime, it was a lovely gesture <3
So me and the excellent @Perrydotto were talking worldbuilding, and the topic of Fire Flight came out. In my opinion, Fire's not received quite as much lore love as deserved, but as Perrydotto pointed out, they're actually a really interesting Flight--they've got this tension between tradition and progress, so they're sort of between Earth and Lightning while still being totally their own thing.

We started talking architecture. Now, an obvious approach would be metal, chains, and forges, and I think that makes fair sense for, y'know, larger settlements with a metallurgical focus, but what about a bit more variety? Perrydotto pointed out that folks in volcanic areas have to be ready to move and resettle, especially given that Fire's territory is canonically geologically unstable. Now, what's a material that's sturdy, inexpensive, relatively quick to build with? Ask the Romans--concrete! They themselves used volcanic ash in its manufacture.

So push comes to shove and here's my proposal.
vfYXgus.png

Because I don't know any better, I'm calling it Volcanic Protobrutalism. It's supposed to exist somewhere between Brutalism (chosen due to Fire's tradition/progress tension and its association with quick constructs--these are buildings of cheap necessity) and Adobe but more open to the air, as I figure Fire shelters exist largely to keep off, say, ash and windstorms. It's buttressed against seismic activity and intended to survive limited exposure to lava--you can see how the mountain is sort of creeping up on it to the rear.

Perrydotto came up with the additional point that these would be great for letting in plenty of heat from local lava flows, just roll down stormcovers or shutters or something when the ash comes. Fire dragons may well spend pleasant spells heatbasking.

The concrete itself would be pretty reasonable to produce. We've canon got lavawheels for grinding, and the ready availability of ash, slag, volcanic springs, and/or seawater would go a nice long way towards production, including onsite production. It wouldn't even surprise me if there's some additional Fire twist--could they use lava itself in the process? Who knows! Not my specialty by any means.

Anyways, any slumpiness in the art is on me, I really should've sketched this prior to painting or used a ruler or something, I imagine these buildings are actually pretty precise. And while they are featureless on their own, many would be decorated, preferably with removable items like weather-resistant decorative hangings and potted plants. Volcanic ash is great for plants--you might not be able to raise all your food onsite, but I'm sure you could get a few fruit trees and herbs at least.

On a meta level, part of the goal's to make sure this architecture doesn't look like any other Flight's. So like, I think it'd also be reasonable for Fire dragons to directly channel lava to shape homes from, but the resulting houses might look Earth-ish, unless you want to go "slag yurt" (which could be awesome). Nothing wrong with Earth-y, just want some unique non-shanty flavor.

Aight, that's all I've got! I'm not remotely in Fire flight nor do I speak for it in any sense, I just thought Fire is neat and deserves more lore and non-shanty architecture.

Oh, this is very tenuously related, but I'm planning a big lore thing. Might happen, might not. If you like lore and want pinged if it happens, let me know.

EDIT: Please feel free to use the image/ideas in this post! Thanks to all the folks who asked in the meantime, it was a lovely gesture <3
cL9yafY.gif
I really got nothing to add to the excellent writeup and picture @Oranitha produced, except to underline that Fire really has an interesting push-and-pull between tradition and progress, between care and ambition, and it's something I would adore to flesh out more. When you think about the world in real life, it only exists because of the power of fire - The core of the planet Earth is superheated metal, the continents were shaped by intense volcanic activity, and civilization was only able to take shape with the warmth and energy fire provided. At the same time, fire as an element is a driving force and energy source for progress as well as destruction. To me, that makes the Fire flight a very interesting and unique power in Sornieth, and I think that's worth delving deeper on.
I really got nothing to add to the excellent writeup and picture @Oranitha produced, except to underline that Fire really has an interesting push-and-pull between tradition and progress, between care and ambition, and it's something I would adore to flesh out more. When you think about the world in real life, it only exists because of the power of fire - The core of the planet Earth is superheated metal, the continents were shaped by intense volcanic activity, and civilization was only able to take shape with the warmth and energy fire provided. At the same time, fire as an element is a driving force and energy source for progress as well as destruction. To me, that makes the Fire flight a very interesting and unique power in Sornieth, and I think that's worth delving deeper on.
naturef2.png
big morrowind vibes... i love it
big morrowind vibes... i love it
05qhES2.png
fkWjutW.png
uPOLOvt.png
FObX7rS.png
WKtl2lb.png
Vn2pQ5Q.png ANTIMONY
LESBIAN
SHE/THEY
FRT+2
MEMORY PROBLEMS- KINDLY REMIND
Fire Flight here. This is an amazing idea and I especially love the art.

@Oranitha I might use that art as inspiration for a few of my own clan's buildings, if you don't mind of course.
Fire Flight here. This is an amazing idea and I especially love the art.

@Oranitha I might use that art as inspiration for a few of my own clan's buildings, if you don't mind of course.
giphy.gif
Fire Flight is underrated

Said by a totally not biased fire clan
Fire Flight is underrated

Said by a totally not biased fire clan
UU5sIpr.pngI love purple
BT1N47G.pngFlight Rising+3
v2PJF9u.png
mNH9cjt.png
AO77JKB.gif
this is AWESOME, i love digging into flight-specific lifestyles :00
this is AWESOME, i love digging into flight-specific lifestyles :00
alien IMLOeSD.png they/them eb2KXWV.png server time MOdulLz.png you are loved
@CrystalClock I'd be honored, and I'd love to see what you make when you're done, if you don't mind! No pressure though!
@CrystalClock I'd be honored, and I'd love to see what you make when you're done, if you don't mind! No pressure though!
cL9yafY.gif
I feel like fire kind of got the short end of the stick in the map update. The only architecture we can see is a shanty town, which is cool and all, but if there's an oppressed class slaving away in the manufacturing process, there's a ruling or even aristocratic class around to suppress them. I'd expect a lot of high-end architecture from that alone. One possibility to the unstable geology problem is to have movable homes. They could be modular (like those container homes or homes on wheels or they could build railways specifically for evacuating buildings) or they could move on their own, like lava ships or Howls moving castle. That even works with the industry aesthetic. Another possibility is that the rich are wasteful with precious metals and will adorn their homes with expensive stuff, and when they get swallowed by the ground they just do it again because money. If anything, the IRL trend of the rich building expensive buildings to brag might even be exaggerated due to the impermanence; only those who can REALLY afford to show off will have the biggest thing ever built a month after their last one sank. I'd expect a lot of leftover building materials, too. I bet homes built from old scrapped industrial machines would look quite dope. [img]https://images3.alphacoders.com/156/156017.jpg[/img] [img]https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/AX4Va6UzskDpMxM8dK8qCKOGQzc=/0x0:5184x3456/1820x1213/filters:focal(2178x1314:3006x2142):format(webp)/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/61366287/IMG_2779.0.0.0.0.jpeg[/img] [img]https://img-9gag-fun.9cache.com/photo/aB0zmjQ_700bwp.jpeg[/img] [img]https://i.imgur.com/L8tOgDL.jpg[/img] [img]https://www.google.se/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fshanghaistarhouse.wordpress.com%2F2020%2F08%2F31%2Fget-to-know-about-the-basics-and-pros-of-shipping-container%2F&psig=AOvVaw0tiYlEBnuRKyhFFb4T2CEA&ust=1615890914897000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CAIQjRxqFwoTCKD-5vSMsu8CFQAAAAAdAAAAABAQ.jpeg[/img]
I feel like fire kind of got the short end of the stick in the map update. The only architecture we can see is a shanty town, which is cool and all, but if there's an oppressed class slaving away in the manufacturing process, there's a ruling or even aristocratic class around to suppress them. I'd expect a lot of high-end architecture from that alone.

One possibility to the unstable geology problem is to have movable homes. They could be modular (like those container homes or homes on wheels or they could build railways specifically for evacuating buildings) or they could move on their own, like lava ships or Howls moving castle. That even works with the industry aesthetic.

Another possibility is that the rich are wasteful with precious metals and will adorn their homes with expensive stuff, and when they get swallowed by the ground they just do it again because money. If anything, the IRL trend of the rich building expensive buildings to brag might even be exaggerated due to the impermanence; only those who can REALLY afford to show off will have the biggest thing ever built a month after their last one sank.

I'd expect a lot of leftover building materials, too. I bet homes built from old scrapped industrial machines would look quite dope.

156017.jpg
IMG_2779.0.0.0.0.jpeg
aB0zmjQ_700bwp.jpeg
L8tOgDL.jpg
url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fshanghaistarhouse.wordpress.com%2F2020%2F08%2F31%2Fget-to-know-about-the-basics-and-pros-of-shipping-container%2F&psig=AOvVaw0tiYlEBnuRKyhFFb4T2CEA&ust=1615890914897000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CAIQjRxqFwoTCKD-5vSMsu8CFQAAAAAdAAAAABAQ.jpeg
Oh, and there'd probably be a lot of miss-matched buildings, as parts of partially sunken homes are scavenged and re-used.. [img]https://i.pinimg.com/originals/64/38/0b/64380b9ce406b759a764272818d36c45.jpg[/img] [img]https://i.pinimg.com/originals/d2/7f/6e/d27f6e3f77b4d1a0149b1679f65b890f.jpg[/img] [img]https://i.pinimg.com/originals/60/e8/f8/60e8f89040f709090b40c73234897779.jpg[/img]
Oh, and there'd probably be a lot of miss-matched buildings, as parts of partially sunken homes are scavenged and re-used..

64380b9ce406b759a764272818d36c45.jpg
d27f6e3f77b4d1a0149b1679f65b890f.jpg
60e8f89040f709090b40c73234897779.jpg
I've recently switched to Fire Flight, thinking the change in scenery would spark some clan lore ideas or something, and was shocked to see how... barren it was? Grant it, I've been been in it for a few weeks now.

This is honestly amazing! I adore the thought of these shelters and ready-to-evacuate homes. It's something I've never thought about (shows how creative I am :T). I will most defiantly use these ideas as inspiration, if you don't mind of course!
I've recently switched to Fire Flight, thinking the change in scenery would spark some clan lore ideas or something, and was shocked to see how... barren it was? Grant it, I've been been in it for a few weeks now.

This is honestly amazing! I adore the thought of these shelters and ready-to-evacuate homes. It's something I've never thought about (shows how creative I am :T). I will most defiantly use these ideas as inspiration, if you don't mind of course!
5ePYQa6.png
Andy/Nickolaus
He/They
Ya boi like the expensive projects
Aether by breadpuff
1 2 3 4