Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Silhouette Scroll
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
The staff has been known to have gem and item sales from time to time.
Perhaps this could be included in those?
The staff has been known to have gem and item sales from time to time.
Perhaps this could be included in those?
YgOQ2oY.pngRfSBvPi.pngRtSbM78.pngiezVfl0.pngiWjBTCn.png

[quote name="bellyacher" date="2020-09-15 09:32:44" ] It's a bit like...humm. It's a bit like JK Rowling retroactively saying certain characters are gay. [/quote] An item letting you change the pose of your dragon..... is like an author being homophobic. Ok.
bellyacher wrote on 2020-09-15 09:32:44:
It's a bit like...humm. It's a bit like JK Rowling retroactively saying certain characters are gay.
An item letting you change the pose of your dragon..... is like an author being homophobic. Ok.
aasolsmall.pngaa
mags
they/vae
fr +8
drymmsmallsmall.png
(I only read a few comments, so forgive me if I’m retreading things other people have already said)

speaking as a trans guy myself, my initial reaction (after “neat, this is going to simplify a lot of people’s projects”) is that I hope this doesn’t alter how the community views gender vs pose. certainly the community has never been perfect in this respect but one thing I’ve always liked about it is that most people are fairly willing to view a dragon’s onsite mechanical sex/pose and its gender as two separate things, to such an extent that I’ve seen plenty of cis people comfortably make fan dragons of cis characters using the “wrong” pose. Certainly it has very cool lore potential but I actually very much hope this scroll doesn’t become seen as the “make your dragon trans” scroll, because... well, we’ve always had the ability to do that, and it’s always been free. I don’t say this to dampen the enthusiasm of anyone responding with “trans dragons!!” but I just don’t like the idea that pose-changing automatically = transition, and I really hope the community doesn’t start equating the two. I personally really like the freedom of appearance not having to equal gender, I have several trans dragons myself who I don’t intend to apply this scroll to - I like how they look, and they all have accents, which are obviously pose-locked - and I would hate for it to become the norm for people to ask me if I intend to pose change them, or for people to misgender them more often because “well we have silhouette-changing now, so there’s no reason for your male dragon to use a female pose” etc

So no, I personally don’t feel the new scroll capitalizes on people’s identities, and I hope it doesn’t become seen as such. What I do see it as is a cosmetic feature people have wanted for years, and one with the potential to free up more options for G1s and to make breeding projects much simpler. I agree that the price is a bit steep - I would prefer if it were 200-350g, the same as scrolls of maturity/eternal youth - but that’s not inconsistent with other visual changes, especially when you consider that once the scroll is applied, the dragon retains the ability to toggle between poses for the rest of its onsite “life”.
(I only read a few comments, so forgive me if I’m retreading things other people have already said)

speaking as a trans guy myself, my initial reaction (after “neat, this is going to simplify a lot of people’s projects”) is that I hope this doesn’t alter how the community views gender vs pose. certainly the community has never been perfect in this respect but one thing I’ve always liked about it is that most people are fairly willing to view a dragon’s onsite mechanical sex/pose and its gender as two separate things, to such an extent that I’ve seen plenty of cis people comfortably make fan dragons of cis characters using the “wrong” pose. Certainly it has very cool lore potential but I actually very much hope this scroll doesn’t become seen as the “make your dragon trans” scroll, because... well, we’ve always had the ability to do that, and it’s always been free. I don’t say this to dampen the enthusiasm of anyone responding with “trans dragons!!” but I just don’t like the idea that pose-changing automatically = transition, and I really hope the community doesn’t start equating the two. I personally really like the freedom of appearance not having to equal gender, I have several trans dragons myself who I don’t intend to apply this scroll to - I like how they look, and they all have accents, which are obviously pose-locked - and I would hate for it to become the norm for people to ask me if I intend to pose change them, or for people to misgender them more often because “well we have silhouette-changing now, so there’s no reason for your male dragon to use a female pose” etc

So no, I personally don’t feel the new scroll capitalizes on people’s identities, and I hope it doesn’t become seen as such. What I do see it as is a cosmetic feature people have wanted for years, and one with the potential to free up more options for G1s and to make breeding projects much simpler. I agree that the price is a bit steep - I would prefer if it were 200-350g, the same as scrolls of maturity/eternal youth - but that’s not inconsistent with other visual changes, especially when you consider that once the scroll is applied, the dragon retains the ability to toggle between poses for the rest of its onsite “life”.
wpEE9mo.png
@PaintmasterSheo [quote]...it's not REALLY representation. It's a bit like...humm. It's a bit like JK Rowling retroactively saying certain characters are gay. Yes, sure, some people will use that and be happy with it! But others, not so much.[/quote] Context is important. If you're trying to make me look bad, this really isn't it.
@PaintmasterSheo
Quote:
...it's not REALLY representation. It's a bit like...humm. It's a bit like JK Rowling retroactively saying certain characters are gay. Yes, sure, some people will use that and be happy with it! But others, not so much.

Context is important. If you're trying to make me look bad, this really isn't it.
fqn8lLh.png
[quote name="qunii" date="2020-09-15 09:20:50" ] - It's not specifically to change gender or to make dragons trans. It's not monetizing anyone's identity or anyone's gender dysphoria or anything like that. It's literally just to change the pose. [/quote] Nailed it. People really seem to forget this is a game with a business model and not a blog site. This game isn’t about people making trans dragons, people as users make this game about making trans dragons.
qunii wrote on 2020-09-15 09:20:50:

- It's not specifically to change gender or to make dragons trans. It's not monetizing anyone's identity or anyone's gender dysphoria or anything like that. It's literally just to change the pose.

Nailed it.

People really seem to forget this is a game with a business model and not a blog site. This game isn’t about people making trans dragons, people as users make this game about making trans dragons.
C2befjR.gif 000
Amy: No, Rosa, we are doing something important here. We are women, standing up and supporting each other and becoming-
(Rosa closes the trunk with Amy inside)
Rosa: New fear: listening to Amy inspire us.
Gina: Be back in a half hour, Ames.

164.png
honestly i love this update! it's a fairly cheap item (for comparison the eternal youth scroll is 50g cheaper but requires another scroll to change back, whereas this one can be toggled at will) and it's something that the playerbase has wanted for a long time.

the problem with making more poses would be time and coding, mostly, so i seriously doubt that that would ever happen. if it did, the quality deffo wouldn't be as good; either that or it'll take even longer for modern breeds to come out. i think it would be cool and i would love it, but there's a lot of technical complications with that. (also, scenes aren't free??)

second, and i can't say i'm trans myself, but there's no need to add a spot for users to write in their dragon's gender. you can put that in their bio or something. and the male/female symbol can't be removed because flight rising is a breeding game and bio sex is important to that.

plus, this isn't a gender change scroll. maybe i just think the f pose of this breed looks better! or i want to put a certain accent on a certain dragon but it's for a different pose. it's not a scroll of trans your dragon's gender. not every dragon that uses this scroll is trans, and not every trans dragon needs this scroll.

i think it's a little unfair to compare this to jk rowling. it's not retroactive, there is no "canon" outside the lore (which can be fully ignored), and i really don't see any similarities in the situation.

at the end of the day, this is just my opinion, and i fully respect yours. just wanted to share my thoughts on this :)
honestly i love this update! it's a fairly cheap item (for comparison the eternal youth scroll is 50g cheaper but requires another scroll to change back, whereas this one can be toggled at will) and it's something that the playerbase has wanted for a long time.

the problem with making more poses would be time and coding, mostly, so i seriously doubt that that would ever happen. if it did, the quality deffo wouldn't be as good; either that or it'll take even longer for modern breeds to come out. i think it would be cool and i would love it, but there's a lot of technical complications with that. (also, scenes aren't free??)

second, and i can't say i'm trans myself, but there's no need to add a spot for users to write in their dragon's gender. you can put that in their bio or something. and the male/female symbol can't be removed because flight rising is a breeding game and bio sex is important to that.

plus, this isn't a gender change scroll. maybe i just think the f pose of this breed looks better! or i want to put a certain accent on a certain dragon but it's for a different pose. it's not a scroll of trans your dragon's gender. not every dragon that uses this scroll is trans, and not every trans dragon needs this scroll.

i think it's a little unfair to compare this to jk rowling. it's not retroactive, there is no "canon" outside the lore (which can be fully ignored), and i really don't see any similarities in the situation.

at the end of the day, this is just my opinion, and i fully respect yours. just wanted to share my thoughts on this :)
__________.____
plague_banner.png

MUYNhfy.png_iDFl61R.png
JvUa9ma.png_WKtl2lb.png
plagueshieldr.png
@bellyacher I'm not trying to make you look bad. I'm just trying to figure out what on earth that has to do with a pose change feature when those are both... entirely different things.
@bellyacher I'm not trying to make you look bad. I'm just trying to figure out what on earth that has to do with a pose change feature when those are both... entirely different things.
aasolsmall.pngaa
mags
they/vae
fr +8
drymmsmallsmall.png
echoing what many have said: its just a cosmetic upgrade that can be used as part of design of trans dragons, but is absolutely not required for trans dragons, and it's uses are not limited to making trans dragons. like for example im trans, and i will totally use it for making trans dragons, but i will also use it for my one female spiral simply because i hate the way the head is aligned in the default pose. also imo the price is totally fair considering that it can be freely toggled on and off.
echoing what many have said: its just a cosmetic upgrade that can be used as part of design of trans dragons, but is absolutely not required for trans dragons, and it's uses are not limited to making trans dragons. like for example im trans, and i will totally use it for making trans dragons, but i will also use it for my one female spiral simply because i hate the way the head is aligned in the default pose. also imo the price is totally fair considering that it can be freely toggled on and off.
horizontal banner that has blue space background, The Arcanist who glows pink, and light pink text that says Thanks Arcanist
Ledi | finland | 10+ fr time | adult | artist & game dev
identity button signifying that user identifies as gayidentity button signifying that user is transgender and uses he pronounsidentity button that signifies that user is autisticidentity button that signifies that user has adhd
I feel like this thread is gonna get locked eventually so,

I’m just here to say I 100% agree with you god bless someone with a similar mindset. I’m trans myself and don’t feel good about this update. It’s not even the fact it’s a paid item, in fact I think if it was free then things would become even more chaotic and risk of scam in the community.

For me it’s the fact people want trans dragons. Same with trans headcannons on movie and show characters- why would you want your favourite characters/dragons to suffer? There is nothing about being trans that I’ve enjoyed or felt happy with besides getting surgery in 2 months. Nothing. It’s a miserable reality, why would I want to impose that mental strain on dragons too? (I know very well everyone’s experiences are different from each other, and some just want a dragon for representation or simply don’t like the other gender pose)

At the end of the day they’re just that, pixel dragons, with pixel poses, a fictional world and I’ll move past this and not care. I’m happy for those who have wanted this for so long and finally have it at least!
I feel like this thread is gonna get locked eventually so,

I’m just here to say I 100% agree with you god bless someone with a similar mindset. I’m trans myself and don’t feel good about this update. It’s not even the fact it’s a paid item, in fact I think if it was free then things would become even more chaotic and risk of scam in the community.

For me it’s the fact people want trans dragons. Same with trans headcannons on movie and show characters- why would you want your favourite characters/dragons to suffer? There is nothing about being trans that I’ve enjoyed or felt happy with besides getting surgery in 2 months. Nothing. It’s a miserable reality, why would I want to impose that mental strain on dragons too? (I know very well everyone’s experiences are different from each other, and some just want a dragon for representation or simply don’t like the other gender pose)

At the end of the day they’re just that, pixel dragons, with pixel poses, a fictional world and I’ll move past this and not care. I’m happy for those who have wanted this for so long and finally have it at least!
Untitled_Artwork.png
@Lednik
Thanks for clarifying! Yeah, I can understand that, someone *having* to do things to be considered *real* is a bad route to go down, and it's not even accurate. People can have all kinds of levels of comfort with themselves and their bodies, no matter what they look like or identify as. I guess there just seems to be a fair amount of magic in-universe of the game, like being able to change breeds and stay hatchlings forever, so having kinda weird restrictions like what comes with the scroll in relation to trans dragons seems a bit odd to me.

I guess I just reacted to everyone's reactions, and not the actual item itself. It doesn't promise anything but a different pose. I still wanted to be able to vent, though
@Lednik
Thanks for clarifying! Yeah, I can understand that, someone *having* to do things to be considered *real* is a bad route to go down, and it's not even accurate. People can have all kinds of levels of comfort with themselves and their bodies, no matter what they look like or identify as. I guess there just seems to be a fair amount of magic in-universe of the game, like being able to change breeds and stay hatchlings forever, so having kinda weird restrictions like what comes with the scroll in relation to trans dragons seems a bit odd to me.

I guess I just reacted to everyone's reactions, and not the actual item itself. It doesn't promise anything but a different pose. I still wanted to be able to vent, though
DemiseForAriesOnMars-small-gif.gif
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8